Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,319 members, 7,846,409 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 03:52 PM

Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? - Romance (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? (60119 Views)

My Cousin Is Tempting Me , What Do I Do ? / My Cousin Is Crazy / Please, What Are The Signs That Your Cousin(female) Is In Love With You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by tintingz(m): 7:20pm On Nov 13, 2014
Youngzedd:

Leviticus 18 New International Version (NIV)

Unlawful Sexual Relations
18 The Lord said to Moses, 2 “Speak to the Israelites and say to them: ‘I am the Lord your God. 3 You must not do as they do in Egypt, where you used to live, and you must not do as they do in the land of Canaan, where I am bringing you. Do not follow their practices. 4 You must obey my laws and be careful to follow my decrees. I am the Lord your God. 5 Keep my decrees and laws, for the person who obeys them will live by them. I am the Lord.
6 “‘No one is to approach any close relative to have sexual relations. I am the Lord.
7 “‘Do not dishonor your father by having sexual relations with your mother. She is your mother; do not have relations with her.
8 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your father’s wife; that would dishonor your father.
9 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your sister, either your father’s daughter or your mother’s daughter, whether she was born in the same home or elsewhere.
10 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your son’s daughter or your daughter’s daughter; that would dishonor you.
11 “‘Do not have sexual relations with the daughter of your father’s wife, born to your father; she is your sister.
12 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your father’s sister; she is your father’s close relative.
13 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your mother’s sister, because she is your mother’s close relative.
14 “‘Do not dishonor your father’s brother by approaching his wife to have sexual relations; she is your aunt.
15 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your daughter-in-law. She is your son’s wife; do not have relations with her.
16 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your brother’s wife; that would dishonor your brother.
17 “‘Do not have sexual relations with both a woman and her daughter. Do not have sexual relations with either her son’s daughter or her daughter’s daughter; they are her close relatives. That is wickedness.
18 “‘Do not take your wife’s sister as a rival wife and have sexual relations with her while your wife is living.
19 “‘Do not approach a woman to have sexual relations during the uncleanness of her monthly period.
20 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your neighbor’s wife and defile yourself with her.
21 “‘Do not give any of your children to be sacrificed to Molek, for you must not profane the name of your God. I am the Lord.
22 “‘Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable.
23 “‘Do not have sexual relations with an animal and defile yourself with it. A woman must not present herself to an animal to have sexual relations with it; that is a perversion.
24 “‘Do not defile yourselves in any of these ways, because this is how the nations that I am going to drive out before you became defiled. 25 Even the land was defiled; so I punished it for its sin, and the land vomited out its inhabitants. 26 But you must keep my decrees and my laws. The native-born and the foreigners residing among you must not do any of these detestable things, 27 for all these things were done by the people who lived in the land before you, and the land became defiled. 28 And if you defile the land, it will vomit you out as it vomited out the nations that were before you.
29 “‘Everyone who does any of these detestable things—such persons must be cut off from their people. 30 Keep my requirements and do not follow any of the detestable customs that were practiced before you came and do not defile yourselves with them. I am the Lord your God.’”
Abraham married his half sister Sarah and I see no where God frowns at him. undecided

Is the bible contradicting or what?

1 Like

Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by ericessien24: 7:20pm On Nov 13, 2014
samflexxy:
yes I can cause there's no law that condemns it
don't mind them,most people here have one way or the other bleeped thier cousins before even as we argue but go dey claim saint on nairaland.

most of you were disflowered by your cousin.boy or girl.
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by Nobody: 7:21pm On Nov 13, 2014
@Seun, please close this thread. It's been dealt with, thanks.
I for type ETT but Seun fit ban me.
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by dynamic006(m): 7:21pm On Nov 13, 2014
youngice:
incest
Recheck what inbreeding is, that's not inbreeding
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by Nobody: 7:21pm On Nov 13, 2014
I for type ETT but Seun fit ban me.
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:21pm On Nov 13, 2014
It's incèst. Even, among Yoruba, marrying a distant relation of your sibling is frowned at.

1 Like

Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by olorunsogo1: 7:22pm On Nov 13, 2014
OdenigboAroli:
I have friends from Chad who are married to their first cousins and at first I was shocked and thought it was inbreeding but its actually not. Both the bible and Quaran supports it!
My own Bible does not support cousins marrying to each other either first, second, third etc . It is an abomination. May be the one you wrote by yourself support it sha!

1 Like

Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by charlsecy(m): 7:23pm On Nov 13, 2014
olorunsogo1:

My own Bible does not support cousins marrying to each other either first, second, third etc.

The Bible doesn't condemn marrying a cousin.

Yes, since we have a common ancestor, every other human is your cousin, at some level. "On average, biochemically, all humans are 99.9% similar to any other humans," says Dr. Shafer Aaron (2013) in 'Understanding genetics.' Since we have one common ancestor, any person is your cousin at some level. No wonder, the Bible never forbids marriages between cousins; Leviticus 18:6-18. If It does, then it would mean marriage, in its entirety, is forbidden, because everyone is your cousin. In his book, A Short History Of Nearly Everything, Bill Bryson (2003), says, "You couldn't be here without a little incest - actually quite a lot of incest."

enkay4love:
if there's no human law that condemns it,read the book of Leviticus 18,,u'll see the level of God's condemnation on this kind of sin called 'INCEST'

Please Leviticus 18:6-18 well. No prohibition against marrying a cousin. Please read it. The prohibition is against one marrying one's mother or father, father's wife, sibling or half-sibling, grandchild, aunt or uncle, daughter-in-law, or sister-in-law. Marriage between cousins is not forbidden in the law.

3 Likes

Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by holatin(m): 7:24pm On Nov 13, 2014
later
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by Seun(m): 7:24pm On Nov 13, 2014
Gabbysky:
I don't understand what you mean.
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by Onegai(f): 7:25pm On Nov 13, 2014
MissMeiya:
Back in the days of European monarchies when they insisted on pure bloodlines. They inbred themselves.

Lots of genetic abnormalities. Royalty were often mad, crippled, deformed, etc. Kings were expected to have as many heirs as possible, because of high infant mortality. So when children died (perhaps of birth defects), the surviving ones could still inherit.
As science progressed, humans discovered that offspring produced from the mating of closely related individuals results in results in homozygosity, which increases the chances of offspring being affected by recessive or deleterious traits. This generally leads to a decreased biological fitness of a population.
And countries began to pass laws making incést illegal.
But of course, we don't believe in science in Nigeria. So just check your European Bible/Arabic Koran, OP.

Very true, and case in point, the Hapsburg dynasty. There were a lot of birth defects and the last child out of all the inbreeding had soo many health issues. Also, Tutankhamen of Egypt suffered from genetic inbreeding effects. However, it was because there was A LOT of inbreeding, like Uncle will marry Niece, then their child will marry her First cousin and their own child will marry his own first cousin (both of who were probably First cousin and Second cousin), European model OR Sister will marry brother, their child will marry another sister, etc Egyptian model.

If you marry your first cousin and your child marries some outsider, as long as your grandaparents were not siblings, all should be well.

I do have some rather hawt cousins. But they're the "your-grandpa-and-his-grandpa-are-related" cousins. I did have a 2nd cousin that was smitten by me grin

Sometimes, what our ancestors assumed in the past was witchcraft or a curse from the gods was a sigh of inbreeding (certain facial deformities or some strange disease that makes your bones not strong plus a clubbed foot and wide hips on a male). I think that's why in my area, we aren't encouraged to marry from the same village e.g, my village consists of smaller villages. The king of my area can't marry me (politically and genetically) but I never realised why until now. 6 villages make up the town, go and wed from another village in the town, that sort of thing. So I cannot marry anyone from my mum or dad's villages, before I shine my teeth too much at him, they will tell us we are "cousins".

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by KingTom(m): 7:26pm On Nov 13, 2014
From a medical point of view, inbreeding poses risks to the F1 generation i.e their children. These risks may include low resistance to diseases and even a weaker immune system. Also some bad traits which could have been subdued or eliminated by ex situ breeding remain and cause serious problems. smiley So please stick to other people not your family. smiley

*********Pidgin version************
To dey marry or freestyle your cousin no good o because na una pikins dem go hear nwiiiii hmmmmmmm the baby go dey sick sick anyhow e go even carry some winshi winshi wey dey una family sef for double portion! So abeg make una no carry ya cousin o because na your sister she be instead go follow outside people o!
This message is brought to you by Dr. Aworinde.
grin grin grin

6 Likes

Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by Nobody: 7:32pm On Nov 13, 2014
dynamic006:

Recheck what inbreeding is, that's not inbreeding
I wrote incest but the Mods changed it to inbreeding,just wondering why.

1 Like

Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by OdenigboAroli(m): 7:32pm On Nov 13, 2014
enkay4love:
hehehehe, grin,ur preceding posts alone on this subject are a clear revelation of ur daftness & cluelessness on moral standards.Its very possible u're guilty of this abominable act.SMH 4 u.

Did you say Moral standards??
As set by whom?
And what will happen if I date my cousin?
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by wordychap: 7:33pm On Nov 13, 2014
Its called incest, n its a crime
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by GoldenWealth(f): 7:34pm On Nov 13, 2014
I can't believe this is even being debated

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by Mathematical(f): 7:36pm On Nov 13, 2014
Missmossy:
It doesn't sound pleasant one bit,its more of a babaric act.

Miss What's barbaric abh that...? Biblical view point.. ,ethnical or morally?...

Mossy ...yourself can rewrite yoo script.. and in ya script says yoo don't wnna take ice cream coz your lactose intolerant... And if by any chance such script passed down to ya offspring.. that doesn't mean they should also abide by such script.. was barbaric.. Abeg tell me
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by Nobody: 7:38pm On Nov 13, 2014
GoldenWealth:
I can't believe this is even being debated

Embarrassing, isn't it?

3 Likes

Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by olorunsogo1: 7:38pm On Nov 13, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

So,why did jacob marry from his relatives ?
And that's not how it was written in the bible....smh
At first, there was no law against in the Bible;Abraham married his sister(Sarah) too. But at a point God raised a law against it then it became an abomination. From that time till now it remains an abomination.

2 Likes

Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by dammywapes(m): 7:38pm On Nov 13, 2014
No not at all. That's uncleanness. If you have the light in you, you won't consider doing that. #Esulowonu

1 Like

Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by Nobody: 7:42pm On Nov 13, 2014
Wen i wz lil sha..had dis big crush on ma cousin...grew up realised twz so stupid...its unfinkable
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by Geeblaze4(f): 7:44pm On Nov 13, 2014
Naturally it is called incest,yes!and a man who can marry his cousin can also sleep with his mum,it's even irritating having the thoughts especially cousins from the paternal side who bears the same surname with you...iyama!i fear that kind of person o

1 Like

Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by Warlord3000(m): 7:44pm On Nov 13, 2014
ProffT01:

Incest! When Noahs daughters slept with their daddy what happened to them and offspring?

When, Amah was defiled what happened? Go back to the Bible friend.

Bros go Bible study for Sunday you no dey go.. See now...

Noah's daughters didn't sleep with him ooooooo..

Lot's daughter slept with lot.. After the fall of Sodom and Gomorrah

Don't thank me yet wink

1 Like

Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by Kingharzyz(m): 7:44pm On Nov 13, 2014
Nothing wrong .... my religion support it... even I think the bible supported also...

ife ni akoja ofin
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by sylaz(m): 7:45pm On Nov 13, 2014
I think its only against societal laws and ethics. Not wrong in any reasonable way but wrong in the eyes of the society. Not like I'll actively go after my cousin but if we are together and find out we are cousins from an alternate universe or something, well well..

1 Like

Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by 50calibre(m): 7:46pm On Nov 13, 2014
The problem is, Nigerians are just too damn hypocritical, they put on a cloak of holiness & self-righteousness in public but in private, they're someone else. Wasn't it in on NL I read a Nigerian man was sha*gging his daughter against her will? Such men will never admit their deviance in public.

In the Middle East, relatives are allowed to marry, they consider it a way of keeping family resources with the family. In most African culture however, it's forbidden so that is a problem.

This means that in African culture, you can't date your cousin (at least openly) except you guys plan to elope & never return because your families & community will surely ostracise the both of you.

I do not support people having relationships with their cousins however, these things happen more often than most would want to admit. Human are animals, you put a male & female together, sooner or later, they will succumb to their primal instincts.

I won't judge those who have relationships with their cousins but I will advice caution, the last thing you want is an inbred. Guys don't tell me you've never at any point had a crush or harboured nasty thoughts about a cousin of yours who used to walk around the house in tempting clothes. C'mon guys drop the act

7 Likes

Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by Nobody: 7:48pm On Nov 13, 2014
charlsecy:

The Bible doesn't condemn marrying a cousin.

Yes, since we have a common ancestor, every other human is your cousin, at some level. "On average, biochemically, all humans are 99.9% similar to any other humans," says Dr. Shafer Aaron (2013) in 'Understanding genetics.' Since we have one common ancestor, any person is your cousin at some level. No wonder, the Bible never forbids marriages between cousins; Leviticus 18:6-18. If It does, then it would mean marriage, in its entirety, is forbidden, because everyone is your cousin. In his book, A Short History Of Nearly Everything, Bill Bryson (2003), says, "You couldn't be here without a little incest - actually quite a lot of incest."

Please Leviticus 18:6-18 well. No prohibition against marrying a cousin. Please read it. The prohibition is against one marrying one's mother or father, father's wife, sibling or half-sibling, grandchild, aunt or uncle, daughter-in-law, or sister-in-law. Marriage between cousins is not forbidden in the law.
specifically read Leviticus 18:9.
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by Funmitope: 7:48pm On Nov 13, 2014
Its wrong 2 date / marry ur cousin o, its known as incest.
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by rhames(m): 7:50pm On Nov 13, 2014
donroxy:
Some culture allow it but only forbid marriage between Brothers/Sister .... Half brother/half sister , Aunts/Uncle, Nephew/Niece , StepMother/StepFather .......

Islam my religion allow marriage between cousins while Yoruba my heritage forbid it .... Me I'm indifference !!

I live in the North where such marriages are the order of the day. As you rightly said , Islam allows it and here nobody argues or doubts God words. And at the same , Islam also allows gives flexibility to the. culture of each environment. Third consideration is will you parents allow it?despite these restrictions, a handful of families especially royal families in the southern part of Nigeria still do it.Finally follow your heart. fight for the one you truly appreciate and love e. its important. Wish you good luck in your decision making. Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by Gorgeous58(f): 7:51pm On Nov 13, 2014
In some parts, its alright. But from where I come from, its incest.
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by Wisegeek01(m): 7:51pm On Nov 13, 2014
It's wrong bro"

*Exit*

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Seven Things More Pleasurable Than Sex! / Date With My Colleague: I Have Ruined My Reputation At Work. / Man In Tears As His Girlfriend Rejects His Proposal In Public

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.