Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,210 members, 7,829,339 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:17 AM

They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! (26677 Views)

PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY / (18+) The Japanese Unclad Art Class Photos & Video / Bullying In Our Secondary Schools share Your Views! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by holatoj(m): 8:30pm On Nov 13, 2014
e be like say dz op dey sleep wen he dey type.....me sef i be science student dem no born me well make i talk dz kin talk..... OP yi funny baje

1 Like

Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by PrettyClare7(f): 8:31pm On Nov 13, 2014
i want to by-pass this your thread without commenting,but i find that i cannot. Since i hv stopped,please go and erase that your opinion about law not being good enough. People who say trash about law are people who are simply jealous of lawyers and annoyed with them for no reason and of course the ignorant. Big men after making money go back to study law. The ex-VC of my sch is studying law now. So please dont disrespect that profession again if you have nothing important to offer dont open a thread.
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by Fussbot: 8:38pm On Nov 13, 2014
PrettyClare7:
i want to by-pass this your thread without commenting,but i find that i cannot. Since i hv stopped,please go and erase that your opinion about law not being good enough. People who say trash about law are people who are simply jealous of lawyers and annoyed with them for no reason and of course the ignorant. Big men after making money go back to study law. The ex-VC of my sch is studying law now. So please dont disrespect that profession again if you have nothing important to offer dont open a thread.
I know sister...check out my 2nd post..these people are ignorant
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by PhumiTJ(f): 8:39pm On Nov 13, 2014
Fussbot:
Honestly, this class is becoming useless day by day.This observation is based on the fact that there are no many courses you can study under it.Law that used to be the pinnacle of it,according to the recent comments on NL is now a rubbish course.When my younger brother got in for law this year I was very happy but due to the recent comments on NL I feel like advising him not to study it again..I know his future is not determined on whatever course he studies,but it seems law has deteroriated to the extent that there is no future in it whatsoever again.Law aside,other courses in art class need not to be studied b4 practising them(in Nigeria)..Dramatic arts?music?...as for English language and Literature in English,if u don't try and do ur post graduate studies then become a lecturer,I don't know wat's in there for u.....I read on Nl that most art students wants to study law,my research tells me mostimes not because they like law,but because the other courses under it aren't fit their intelligence and also there are not so many courses to study under it...we all aspire to be the best in what we do,Law used to be for art class..now that it seems irrelevant, the class should just be scrambled!...what do you think?

WHO IS DIS IDIOT AND WHAT KIND OF IDIOT LAND DO U COME FROM.....
ALLOWING NL TROLLS 2 DECIDE UR BROTHER'S DESTINY I PITY U BUT I PITY UR BROTHER EVEN MORE...SMH

By d way art class (d land of creativity) rocks

1 Like

Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by Nobody: 8:40pm On Nov 13, 2014
[quote author=Princecalm post=27981223]Did i hear you say there are not many courses to study under it?What happened to accountancy,Business admin,journalism,history,architecture,linguistics and the rest.Guy park well[/quote

Architecture and accountancy in art class?
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by osholuamhe: 8:47pm On Nov 13, 2014
The guy no know wetin him dey talk!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by GboyegaD(m): 8:49pm On Nov 13, 2014
I am of the opinion that it should be general and we should pick classes we want.
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by franktolk(m): 8:50pm On Nov 13, 2014
The Genesis of degradation in the Educational system in Nigeria is/was the categorisation of Senior Sec education into the supposed " Science,Commercial and Art " Classes . These scenario has created an avenue for some students who feels they are not good mathematically to run into what they call Art Classes ,This is just an Illusion , the fact remains that in big Investment Banking, in the area of accounting ,Merger and Acquisition and even in the Pure sciences Lawyers are needed . Moreso you dont need to be in the Art class before becoming a Lawyer neither do you need to be in a commercial class before going into accounting,Banking and finance and other similar courses.

A solid background in the sciences: Physics in particular, chemistry,Mathematics ,Economics,Advance Maths,Biology,Geography as an elective and one of the Arts subjects like Literature in English,Government and a Vocational Course Like Carpentry,Home economics,Plumbing,Music,Auto-mobile craftmanship is the bedrock of a quality education which can prepare Secondary sch leavers for the outside world .

A complete overhaul of the educational system is urgently needed .

5 Likes

Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by raphy(m): 8:50pm On Nov 13, 2014
i think the best thing the op should do ,is to delete topic .e -yabbing no good o .see yabbing too much.
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by Onegai(f): 8:51pm On Nov 13, 2014
lol, this is funny sha.

Do you know how much lawyers at Perchstone and Gray are making?

Do you know how many white people companies hire when they want to fund the Liberal arts in Nigeria, particularly NGOs and such?

Do you know how much Visual arts (painters and sculptors) are making? Not the street ones o

Do you realise EVERY single firm needs an accountant?

Do you know how much a well-trained Digital artist or animator can make, especially in a country like Nigeria (where we have none?)

Do you know how many of your upper middle class Nigerians came back from abroad with a degree in Communications and got a high-paying job at Guiness, NB (and No, Daddy didn't call in a favour)?

Do you know that the foremost expert on Benin Art is a German woman who has so much funding from so many governments, she won't even bother to reply a Nigerian (Bini person for that matter!) email?

If you knew the amounts of money people make from the Arts, I can dash my Engineering degree to anyone right now, I get paid more than most contract Engineering staff at Construction firm. Go and see Engineers fighting for jobs at PWC (an audit firm). Surprise yourself by learning Arabic, Cantonese/Mandarin, French and Spanish. Jobs will come knocking at your door, asking you to let them in please.

It pains me so much we don't have a School of ceramics, carpentry and pottery in Nigeria. The kind of money those artisans will be making! Those that do it well are quietly reaping profits.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by Mclick(m): 8:56pm On Nov 13, 2014
Op, you definitely do not know what Art is or all that it encompasses or else you won't be talking about scraping it, a lot of us think that you can still do art without studying it, well I use to think like that............... Art is inborn, but get it, inspiration in 1% while paspiration is 99%. This inspiration theory may not be 100% true as to every theory there is always an exemption. You can say people are making waves in art world without studying it, but check the background, the hands of the experts can not be found wanting and without them all will soon become shapeless and in shambles. Arts is guided by principles and theories, without these principles, art practitioners will be so limited and naive. In a nutshell, Art is so wide and it's the foundation of every other discipline

2 Likes

Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by Blakyclyde(m): 8:57pm On Nov 13, 2014
Fussbot, before you turn yourself to the special adviser to the president on education, please do some research. It doesn't cost much, I tell ya.

You say not much courses can be studied under the art?
What then have you to say about my course, International Studies and diplomacy?
Conflict resolution?
Public administration?
Political science?
Sociology?
Creative arts?
Et al?

If you've got any grudge against your art teacher in secondary school, I'll understand.
But don't come here crying for a department to be scrapped.

''when I am king, they shall not have bread and shelter only, but also teachings out of books, for a full belly is little worth where the mind is starved.''
-Mark Twain.

2 Likes

Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by Nobody: 9:00pm On Nov 13, 2014
Fussbot:
Honestly, this class is becoming useless day by day.This observation is based on the fact that there are no many courses you can study under it.Law that used to be the pinnacle of it,according to the recent comments on NL is now a rubbish course.When my younger brother got in for law this year I was very happy but due to the recent comments on NL I feel like advising him not to study it again..I know his future is not determined on whatever course he studies,but it seems law has deteroriated to the extent that there is no future in it whatsoever again.Law aside,other courses in art class need not to be studied b4 practising them(in Nigeria)..Dramatic arts?music?...as for English language and Literature in English,if u don't try and do ur post graduate studies then become a lecturer,I don't know wat's in there for u.....I read on Nl that most art students wants to study law,my research tells me mostimes not because they like law,but because the other courses under it aren't fit their intelligence and also there are not so many courses to study under it...we all aspire to be the best in what we do,Law used to be for art class..now that it seems irrelevant, the class should just be scrambled!...what do you think?
seriously bro,if you were right next to me,i would've rightly delivered the much needed slap that will correct your brain,did you actually think before posting? What happened to the late chinua achebe [r.i.p sir] and the highly respected,learned wole soyinka,i've always known literature as an art subject.
Becareful!!

1 Like

Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by Nobody: 9:01pm On Nov 13, 2014
This poster is highly ignorant and confused. In my finals in law and I get to hear a lot of thrash being said about the profession. Needless to say will never opt for another course.

The opportunities for a lawyer is endless and he can fit into any sector of the economy.

I don't even need to waste much time posting here, but I will advice the op to have a change of thought and attitude. If you allow what people say determine your decisions and actions, you will end up in penury and extremely unhappy.

Even if law wasn't as financially rewarding as it really is, will yet advice anyone who has the intellect to study it. It expands knowledge about politics, governance and a whole lot of sphere. Little wonder they say a lawyer knows little of everything. For the sake of the knowledge derived from the study of law alone will stick my guts and raise my head up high any day!

2 Likes

Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by jasperkrekre(m): 9:02pm On Nov 13, 2014
Princecalm:
Did i hear you say there are not many courses to study under it?What happened to accountancy,Business admin,journalism,history,architecture,linguistics and the rest.Guy park well
arrhg who is dis? when did commercial klass courses like business admin and accountancy turn to art course?...BTW architecture is a full time science course. one must have a concrete knowledge of physics, chemistry,mathematics,technical drawing to study architecture....Oga Ade architecture is not an art course...
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by Onegai(f): 9:06pm On Nov 13, 2014
jasperkrekre:
BTW architecture is a full time science course. one must have a concrete knowledge of physics, chemistry,mathematics,technical drawing to study architecture....Oga Ade architecture is not an art course...

You must still be in Secondary school. Go and ask Architecture students, Year 1 and Year 2 how much Art and Drawing they need to do. Most of them will never look at a Chemistry textbook again for the rest of their lives. But they will study the shege out of History of Architecture (from Roman bathhouses to Zaha Hadid)

It's because they need Technical Drawing, Mathematics and Physics, that Architecture was pushed to Sciences. And this our division of Sciences and Arts classes is archaic, no elementary school or high school does that, they focus on what courses you choose each term, with a basics of Maths, English, Chemistry, Physics, one Language, Geography and History

2 Likes

Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by cepha4: 9:07pm On Nov 13, 2014
Princecalm:
Did i hear you say there are not many courses to study under it?What happened to accountancy,Business admin,journalism,history,architecture,linguistics and the rest.Guy park well

Architecture no be art
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by osholuamhe: 9:08pm On Nov 13, 2014
Great Nairalanders, please help me with where I can get these types of key holders in Lagos.

Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by msmon(m): 9:09pm On Nov 13, 2014
You spoke my mind. This thread tells me a lot about the OP but I choose to stay reserved.

Segirl18:
I simply see no reason why d art department in sec school b cancelled.

Now tell me if it is cancelled, where should courses like mass com, law, linguistics, history, and d likes of them b classified under?. Com-science abi?

People of nw a days just being an attention seeker.

2 Likes

Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by eleko1: 9:10pm On Nov 13, 2014
Linguists/Historian work in Embassy/foreign affiars office,bank etc.By the grace of GOd,I*m proud Linguist,I work in a new Gen Bank.Here,U'll see Engr,lawyers,geologists and odas in d financial world
Fussbot:
@ prince...well nobody knows it all...for ur info,the courses u listed above cannot be study by an art student...only history,linguistics and journalism(masscom).....oya tell me an obvious place where an historian,linguistist can work?anybody can work as a journalist these days
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by bethelbrill(m): 9:10pm On Nov 13, 2014
What is this OP saying? No course is irrelevant and moreover even if you are an engineer you would still have to lock for work, what is the benefit of studying a course for five years and after five years of graduating you are still searching for work, my guy relax, if you will make it, you will........... what course did Dangote study?

1 Like

Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by Nobody: 9:12pm On Nov 13, 2014
franciskaine:
nairaland losing its salt on a daily basis. The mods need reprimands.
True.
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by msmon(m): 9:13pm On Nov 13, 2014
This is exactly why I love nairaland, you make a rubbish point and some1 is out there that will correct the sh*t in ur head. @onegai, I view ur old post and I get a clue u are an architect. It's a course I'd like to do if I have anoda chance.

Onegai:

You must still be in Secondary school. Go and ask Architecture students, Year 1 and Year 2 how much Art and Drawing they need to do. Most of them will never look at a Chemistry textbook again for the rest of their lives. But they will study the shege out of History of Architecture (from Roman bathhouses to Zaha Hadid)

1 Like

Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by JerryJude(m): 9:24pm On Nov 13, 2014
Princecalm:
are u sure u pass thru Uni. wht is arch doing there in ur list. have u ever see an arch student under the faculty of art ? guy dey research well b4 u post
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by Giitheon(m): 9:26pm On Nov 13, 2014
Princecalm:
architecture That aint a art course na shocked
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by Nobody: 9:37pm On Nov 13, 2014
Fussbot:
YAGA!

Mission accomplished!.

So O P is a law student that doesn't like all the derogatory comments been made about the art class and most importantly the LEGAL profession recently on NL and needed attention to tell people otherwise.

Dear art student,u are in the best class that can ever happen to you.Don't let comments on NL weigh u down.People have made, are making and will forever make it in this class..

And about you all bashing law..well am not surprised,people are always jealous of us.lol..Ask so many doctors,engineers..if given the chance they wld still study law.

Aspiring law students,keep pushing hard...being a lawyer is the best thing that can ever happen to you..forget about all these Lawyers are not getting paid ish..most of them are ignorant..trust me our senior colleagues do come around and these guys are getting paid heavily!...Like other courses,studying law doesn't guarantee success in life,but trust me it gives you edge over everything!...can't imagine myself not studying law!

And other courses under the art class too...tolulope has said everything concerning them and they are facts!...u can't compare urself with streets singers!...

Would have modified the real post,but this is my first time of making the front page and I just discovered it's not possible again..

LONG LIVE ART CLASS!LONG LIVE LEGAL PROFESSION!

Thank you...lolz

The truth is that most of them bandy lawyers and say all manner of rubbish because of their insecurity and the hatred they feel towards lawyers, which in turn they transfer to the profession itself. Human beings indeed hate anything called law cos they would rather want to be anarchists, so why the hell should they love lawyers? The truth is that lawyers are necessary evils, hate them the way you want, one day you would need them badly and helplessly. The doors the title 'Barr.' can open many other titles dare not knock on it. So my dear I am good.
A lawyer is someone you can either respect out of admiration or fear and most people feel unduly edgy once you tell them you are a lawyer. To this extent I understand the frustrations of NL who would not waste time in bad mouthing lawyers and denigrating the legal profession just to feel good with themselves. They would quickly point out to you how lawyers are badly paid and how they get caught up doing charge and bail but they won't tell you about lawyers they know that are doing fine.
My dear the legal profession rocks; so all you haters should keep sulking while we continue to blaze the trail.
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by pchax: 9:38pm On Nov 13, 2014
It is this kind of posts that make me weep for Nigeria because we do not value the innate talent we are born with. Let me explain. Most Nations or Cultures have an aspect in which they are naturally good at and excel in with little or no efforts because they are born with it. China and other east Asian countries are good at Arithmetic and other courses that involve calculation. The Germans are known for Engineering Design. Italy, fashion design. For Nigeria it is ARTS!

Arts is one of our innate talents. Think about anyone that has put Nigeria on the global map in terms of intellectualism and innovation and they belong to the field of Arts. Wole Soyinka is a Nobel Prize winner in Literature, Chinua Achebe has won the Man Booker prize. Can you mention a scientist or mathematician or engineer in Nigeria that has smelt that level of International recognition that can rival the Nobel Prize and Man Booker? We have other great artists like Ola Rotimi, Lamidi Fakeye, Ladi Kwali etc that have made their names in the international scene but where are our scientist. Heck, Femi Kuti was nominated for a Grammy! You can see Nollywood productions growing in quality and having a revenue that doubles every year and coming close to Bollywood and Hollywood in terms of Market share capital. Can you compare CCHub in Yaba to Silicon Valley or New Delhi? No! BTW, I am a Computer Science graduate and I work in the IT world in Nigeria so I am not biased. Chimanda Adichie, Ben Okri, Emeka Okere and other new generation writers and photographers are always challenging on the international stage and creating products that have international appeal. But our science and tech industry is really not existent. Just show me a machine or software package, or programming library or medical procedure that is being used worldwide that was developed by a Nigerian in Nigeria.

Now OP is saying ARTS should be scrapped in secondary schools Heck, NO! Infact, the government should scrap all these technical colleges and replace them with dance, writing or photography schools because these things come naturally to us and we excel in them. The way Indians understand medicine, that is how we easily understand drama or poetry. As for job prospects, there are lots of them. I have a lot of friends who studied dramatic arts, english, fine arts etc and these guys constantly travel out for exhibitions, shows etc (most of them are sponsored by international bodies though like the British Council). I envy their lifestyle. I am stuck everyday in go-slow commuting to the Island to resume my IT job. My writer friend is presently travelling around Francophone African countries writing about their culture and dressing sponsored by the French blah blah blah institute.

Abeg, no make me vex for you OP... ARTS must to continue!

1 Like

Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by Nobody: 9:45pm On Nov 13, 2014
Donpuzo:
This poster is highly ignorant and confused. In my finals in law and I get to hear a lot of thrash being said about the profession. Needless to say will never opt for another course.

The opportunities for a lawyer is endless and he can fit into any sector of the economy.

I don't even need to waste much time posting here, but I will advice the op to have a change of thought and attitude. If you allow what people say determine your decisions and actions, you will end up in penury and extremely unhappy.

Even if law wasn't as financially rewarding as it really is, will yet advice anyone who has the intellect to study it. It expands knowledge about politics, governance and a whole lot of sphere. Little wonder they say a lawyer knows little of everything. For the sake of the knowledge derived from the study of law alone will stick my guts and raise my head up high any day!

The truth is that most of them bandy lawyers and say all manner of rubbish because of their insecurity and the hatred they feel towards lawyers, which in turn they transfer to the profession itself. Human beings indeed hate anything called law cos they would rather want to be anarchists, so why the hell should they love lawyers? The truth is that lawyers are necessary evils, hate them the way you want, one day you would need them badly and helplessly. The doors the title 'Barr.' can open many other titles dare not knock on it. So my dear I am a proud lawyer.
A lawyer is someone you can either respect out of admiration or fear and most people feel unduly edgy once you tell them you are a lawyer. To this extent I understand the frustrations of NL who would not waste time in bad mouthing lawyers and denigrating the legal profession just to feel good with themselves. They would quickly point out to you how lawyers are badly paid and how they get caught up doing charge and bail but they won't tell you about lawyers they know that are doing fine.
My dear the legal profession rocks; so all you haters should keep sulking while we continue to blaze the trail.
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by jimmy101231(m): 9:47pm On Nov 13, 2014
For this Nigeria stop saying rubbish jare bsc for nigar na bsc msc na msc forget nonsense...since Nigerian University no they enter top 20 in the world then what are you talking...mtchewww
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by teeboy2110(m): 9:50pm On Nov 13, 2014
Y art should scrap d person dat said dis is selfish.
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by Richiy(f): 9:52pm On Nov 13, 2014
Fussbot:
@ prince...well nobody knows it all...for ur info,the courses u listed above cannot be study by an art student...only history,linguistics and journalism(masscom).....oya tell me an obvious place where an historian,linguistist can work?anybody can work as a journalist these days

Anybody can work as a journalist but its only someone that studied related to it that can make a difference.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

UNICAL Final Year Student Killed By Gunmen (Graphic Photos) / Photo : Could This Be The Next Chike Obi, Professor Of Maths? / Futminna Admission List 2010/2011

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.