Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,114 members, 7,828,969 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:41 PM

They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! (26664 Views)

PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY / (18+) The Japanese Unclad Art Class Photos & Video / Bullying In Our Secondary Schools share Your Views! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by LaRoyalHighness(f): 7:32pm On Nov 13, 2014
Dear son,
Don't believe 90 percent of the things you see on nairaland.
Mum.

2 Likes

Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by onyeuka: 7:35pm On Nov 13, 2014
""but because the other courses under it aren't fit their intelligence and also there are not so many courses to study under it""
#poster Ewu that side, what happened to Almighty political science? ?
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by MadCow1: 7:36pm On Nov 13, 2014
Fussbot:
I know,but a yoruba adage says "the voice of people is the voice of God"..so if nothing is wrong with law..people won't talk bout it...and please don't let this be centred on law only..can u dispute the other facts there?

You don't sound very bright judging by your post...

Nothing is wrong with any course.. All major and medium scale businesses in Nigeria all NEED Lawyers on their payroll to stay in business. No minor business can grow into a major business without having a Lawyer either on their payroll or on a retainer.. From telecoms to banking to oil and gas to construction to fashion to food to import and export and so on, they must have to deal with legal issues. Law does not begin and end in court.. Infact the wealthy lawyers are not found inside courtroom but in conference rooms negotiating and fine tuning agreements and contracts between entities.

Secondly.. That adage is not a Yoruba adage but a Latin phrase that goes thus; 'Vox Populi, Vox Dei'.

Finally... There is no worthless or less valuable course. Even a course like food and nutrition sef or hospitality management has a very lucrative market.. Or do you think mega hotels like the intercontinental, Sheraton, Nicon and Co are run by the managers wife and in laws? You should find out how much the head cook earns in such hotels.

I am an Engineer that works more in Law.. Your course isn't meant to limit your path but prepare you for diverse opportunities.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by Wisegeek01(m): 7:36pm On Nov 13, 2014
Lwkmd *sips Alomo* . .. Meanwhile
in joke section"

https://www.nairaland.com/1984164/funny-pictures-phone/1#27988042
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by Elipsis: 7:37pm On Nov 13, 2014
Wat's with all these 'law bashing' threads hitting frontpage today?
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by swhiss: 7:38pm On Nov 13, 2014
Princecalm:
Did i hear you say there are not many courses to study under it?What happened to accountancy,Business admin,journalism,history,architecture,linguistics and the rest.Guy park well
when did the bolded become an art course??!
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by Orikinla(m): 7:42pm On Nov 13, 2014
OP, apparently you are ignorant of what is Art and the Arts in general.
Do you know that kinetics is also studied in Art?
Have you heard or read Art Therapy in Medicine?

It is my expertise in Art that got me the job of a Public Health Illustrator for JHU/PCS at 21 and later as a national program consultant for the UNICEF at 25.

Art is also essential for scientific illustration in the study of the Sciences.

I studied the metamorphosis of the HIV in the T-Cell before I did the oil painting on canvas and later I went on to studies galaxies before making oil paintings of galaxies and they were all sold out.

I also do drawings and paintings from equations.

There is nothing wrong with studying Art, but everything is wrong with those who are ignorant of the significance of Art in education and life.
See http://www.theartcareerproject.com/medical-illustration-2/9333/

5 Likes

Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by ameehaz999: 7:45pm On Nov 13, 2014
Useless post

1 Like

Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by Nobody: 7:47pm On Nov 13, 2014
Symphony007:
This stupid thing about Nigeria is that everybody wants their children to be an engineer but the highest level of unemployment in the nation is among engineers. Science students should stop deluding themselves!!!
What about every art student wanting to be a charge and bail lawyer.
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by Ninilowo(m): 7:50pm On Nov 13, 2014
Op, why demoralizing ur younger one nah. I ll advice you to get the current e-brochure and see lots of courses for art students.

1 Like

Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by OkikiOluwa1(m): 7:50pm On Nov 13, 2014
Fussbot:
@ prince...well nobody knows it all...for ur info,the courses u listed above cannot be study by an art student...only history,linguistics and journalism(masscom).....oya tell me an obvious place where an historian,linguistist can work?anybody can work as a journalist these days
well.
if not for abuse on art, courses like law, journalism, linguistic studies, religious studies should not be there.
what should v been core art ll v been visual art, and performing art.
visual art comprises of fine art, applied art & craft.
performing art contains drama, music, dance & magic.

anything diff from these is not art.

if not all those confusion, why ll some one open a thread to say dat art class should be scrapped when people can Still study the core art.

how come a lawyer or journalist is an artist.
art don suffer!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by bidexmat(m): 7:55pm On Nov 13, 2014
Fussbot:
@ prince...well nobody knows it all...for ur info,the courses u listed above cannot be study by an art student...only history,linguistics and journalism(masscom).....oya tell me an obvious place where an historian,linguistist can work?anybody can work as a journalist these days
be well informed before u say anything on an issue. Architechture, art and design, industrial design( ceramics, glass, textile design,graphics, space art) how I wish u knew how much these guys are making. The above mentioned can work in a customer care unit of an organisation. So also do we have advertising agencies. Historians are found in galleries, culture and tourism sector as curators with a fat pay that will marvel u. So even if na sh*t u read, sabi am well o! U go make am pieces. Hope u r very much aware of the lad who made a lot of cash from building mobile public toilet. Jst be versatile in ur thots, gbam! That is wat the university teaches u. Most Nigerians are jst too lazy and looking for less tidious jobs wiv a fat pay. Dem go tay!
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by Nobody: 7:56pm On Nov 13, 2014
Princecalm:
Did i hear you say there are not many courses to study under it?What happened to accountancy,Business admin,journalism,history,architecture,linguistics and the rest.Guy park well

Is that 'architecture' I'm seeing?! Under the arts?..
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by Nobody: 7:57pm On Nov 13, 2014
I wonder how this uninformed opinion made front page

2 Likes

Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by Callfubu(m): 7:58pm On Nov 13, 2014
OP, accounting is under arts and the sooner you understand that it is the MOST IMPORTANT course the better for you
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by Nobody: 7:59pm On Nov 13, 2014
Fussbot:
Honestly, this class is becoming useless day by day.This observation is based on the fact that there are no many courses you can study under it.Law that used to be the pinnacle of it,according to the recent comments on NL is now a rubbish course.When my younger brother got in for law this year I was very happy but due to the recent comments on NL I feel like advising him not to study it again..I know his future is not determined on whatever course he studies,but it seems law has deteroriated to the extent that there is no future in it whatsoever again.Law aside,other courses in art class need not to be studied b4 practising them(in Nigeria)..Dramatic arts?music?...as for English language and Literature in English,if u don't try and do ur post graduate studies then become a lecturer,I don't know wat's in there for u.....I read on Nl that most art students wants to study law,my research tells me mostimes not because they like law,but because the other courses under it aren't fit their intelligence and also there are not so many courses to study under it...we all aspire to be the best in what we do,Law used to be for art class..now that it seems irrelevant, the class should just be scrambled!...what do you think?
At best you are ignorant. So you make important life decisions with what NL says about that situation? My friend you need to get off the internet and start thinking with your own brain before it diminishes to pulp.

2 Likes

Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by Nobody: 8:01pm On Nov 13, 2014
flamingtiger:
I wonder how this uninformed opinion made front page
It is nothing short of a gaffe. Such ignorance should be kept out of public view.

2 Likes

Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by priscillawill(m): 8:01pm On Nov 13, 2014
So the position where the people who suppose do the course go dey, an u go dey there. Nothing is unimportant
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by LORDI(m): 8:04pm On Nov 13, 2014
Who is this?,posting rubbish,abeg commot for my front make I see road pass.

1 Like

Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by MNDY(m): 8:04pm On Nov 13, 2014
If I e-slap dis OP now, dem go talk say I don start!!!

2 Likes

Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by midasbliss(f): 8:05pm On Nov 13, 2014
chai... angryI always knew dey wanted us gone
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by tomiobj(m): 8:11pm On Nov 13, 2014
Fussbot:
Honestly, this class is becoming useless day by day.This observation is based on the fact that there are no many courses you can study under it.Law that used to be the pinnacle of it,according to the recent comments on NL is now a rubbish course.When my younger brother got in for law this year I was very happy but due to the recent comments on NL I feel like advising him not to study it again..I know his future is not determined on whatever course he studies,but it seems law has deteroriated to the extent that there is no future in it whatsoever again.Law aside,other courses in art class need not to be studied b4 practising them(in Nigeria)..Dramatic arts?music?...as for English language and Literature in English,if u don't try and do ur post graduate studies then become a lecturer,I don't know wat's in there for u.....I read on Nl that most art students wants to study law,my research tells me mostimes not because they like law,but because the other courses under it aren't fit their intelligence and also there are not so many courses to study under it...we all aspire to be the best in what we do,Law used to be for art class..now that it seems irrelevant, the class should just be scrambled!...what do you think?

This ur question has to be specially reserved for the gods to answer
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:11pm On Nov 13, 2014
OP, you said you said you don't need to read dramatic art to know how to act. Do you need to read mechanical engineering before you can proffer solution to a car, when you can easily learn it by the road side? How many of our mechanical engineering students/graduates can cople mechanical appliances?
Do have to read computer engineering before you become a computer guru? I know some teenagers that work in cyber cafès that cople computers better than computer engineering graduates/students. These teenagers are mostly people that just left secondary schools. A friend of mine once his girl friend who is a final year student of computer engineering in of the roadside cafès when he discovered she didn't much about computer.

1 Like

Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by bidexmat(m): 8:14pm On Nov 13, 2014
Orikinla:
OP, apparently you are ignorant of what is Art and the Arts in general.
Do you know that kinetics is also studied in Art?
Have you heard or read Art Therapy in Medicine?

It is my expertise in Art that got me the job of a Public Health Illustrator for JHU/PCS at 21 and later as a national program consultant for the UNICEF at 25.

Art is also essential for scientific illustration in the study of the Sciences.

I studied the metamorphosis of the HIV in the T-Cell before I did the oil painting on canvas and later I went on to studies galaxies before making oil paintings of galaxies and they were all sold out.

I also do drawings and paintings from equations.

There is nothing wrong with studying Art, but everything is wrong with those who are ignorant of the significance of Art in education and life.
See http://www.theartcareerproject.com/medical-illustration-2/9333/
bro u are so right. U have spoken well. Do you know that china that we so admire their creative prowess do not joke wiv art. For every company in that country, they have an artist studio where numerous sketches of proposed products are produced and modelled before other stages of manufacturing takes place. But hia! Na lie oo! Ignorance has finished us. Multi talented Sculptors and artists built Rome! The likes of leonardo da vinci, michael angelo amongst many others.
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by shogat(m): 8:14pm On Nov 13, 2014
and how did this make fp?

1 Like

Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by Nobody: 8:17pm On Nov 13, 2014
blink182:
It is nothing short of a gaffe. Such ignorance should be kept out of public view.

1 Like

Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by Nobody: 8:18pm On Nov 13, 2014
blink182:
nairaland losing its salt on a daily basis. The mods need reprimands.

2 Likes

Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by Bagwellz(m): 8:18pm On Nov 13, 2014
Fussbot:
what are u talking about Anybody can work as an engineer also undecided
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:18pm On Nov 13, 2014
Ever since the government gave more rooms for admitting science students over their art counterparts, what impact has it had on the country science and technology?

1 Like

Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by Fussbot: 8:27pm On Nov 13, 2014
Hey guys,,check out my 2nd post..I am a law atudent that needed attention grin grin grin
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by AfroBlue(m): 8:28pm On Nov 13, 2014
Nigerian painter George Edozie's work will be featured during Art Basel/Art Miami week in December. World Class!!!!!!!!!

2nd biggest art event in the world after the annual mother show in Switzerland!

[img]http://1.bp..com/-t-iQwWfppzU/Tli-Dyw6BHI/AAAAAAAAADI/A_FOut4G_S4/s640/101+Nigerian+artists.jpg[/img]

MOCA, former directors settle dispute

Museum of Contemporary Art (770 NE 125th Street, North Miami)

http://www.miamiherald.com/entertainment/visual-arts/article3857835.html

The organization hired Suzanne Weaver as interim director and made plans to open in December, coinciding with Art Basel Miami Beach. ICA Miami will open with two free exhibits Dec. 3, one featuring the art of Pedro Reyes in an installation called “Sanatorium” and the other, “As I Lay Drying,” featuring work from Andra Ursuta.

The city institution held its first exhibition under M’Bow‘s leadership in September. A panel of volunteers was named to serve as a steering committee until a new board of trustees is established. MOCA has announced its exhibition and event lineup for Art Week in December, which will feature work from Nigerian painter George Edozie in an exhibit called “Shifting the Paradigm.”

Art
Our Mega Guide to Art Basel Miami Beach 2014: Part 1
by Gary Pini
Just six weeks until the opening of Art Basel Miami Beach! The 13th edition of the annual art fair -- and all it's satellite fairs, exhibits, museum and gallery openings (and parties) -- begins on Wednesday, December 3rd and runs through the 7th at the Miami Beach Convention Center. The city's ambitious plan to build a new convention center has now been replaced with a simpler and cheaper "re-model," but that won't affect this year's fair or the expected 75,000+ international visitors.

http://www.papermag.com/2014/10/art_basel_miami_guide_2014.php

Shifting Paradigms: The Work of George Edozie
Museum of Contemporary Art North Miami (MOCA)
Share this article

The show, Shifting the Paradigm is designed to tear down aging but still prevalent concepts surrounding the creation, consumption and interpretation of contemporary art. George Edoize (b. 1972, Nigeria) trained as a painter and has always worked as a painter, in his paintings on canvas he normally applies raw colours on the cloth and works them with the knife. The play between surface, colour and texture is central to his work.

For curator Pr. Nkiru Nzegwu, "through form, color, design consciousness, and containment, artistic endeavor unleashes the embodied powers of life to dissolve blockages and remake reality".

While George Edozie is not an expressionist, he shares a good number of the formal characteristics of the "fauvist" and "post-impressionist" painters at the turn of the 20th century: Cezanne, Matisse, Gauguin, Van Gogh.

In different ways, these artists went beyond the manner in which impressionism focused on reproducing the impression caused by the physical world.

Curator: Nkiru Nzegwu

Special Event:

2 Dec, 7pm - 9pm | Opening Reception

Artists:
George Edozie

Open: Tuesday, 02 December 2014
Close: Sunday, 07 December 2014
Address: Joan Lehman Building, 770 NE 125th Street North Miami
Mail: info@mocanomi.org
Phone: +1 305 893 6211
Web: Museum of Contemporary Art North Miami (MOCA)
Opening hour: Tue – Sun | 11am – 5pm; Last Thurs of the month | 11am – 8pm
Closing day: Mon
Photo credits: Negro Girl Before A Mirror, mixed media; Courtesy of Museum of Contemporary Art North Miami (MOCA)

http://www.myartguides.com/art-basel-miami-beach-2014/exhibitions/item/3587-shifting-paradigms-the-work-of-george-edozie

http://mymoca.org/

Tuesday | December 2, 2014 | 7-9 pm
MOCA OPENING RECEPTION -Shifting the Paradigm: The Art of George Edozie
Call 305.893.6211 to RSVP
FREE for MOCA members, North Miami residents and VIP Art Basel card holders
$25 admission for non members

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Students Going Into Relationships On Campus, Do Or Don’t? / Tunde Opeibi Was Unjustly Denied A Scholarship As An Undergraduate: But... / UNICAL Final Year Student Killed By Gunmen (Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.