Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,924 members, 7,828,206 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:16 AM

They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! (26654 Views)

PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY / (18+) The Japanese Unclad Art Class Photos & Video / Bullying In Our Secondary Schools share Your Views! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by romme2u: 8:51am On Nov 14, 2014
Boyooosa:

come to our street and c Barristers that ride cars but can not construct simple and correct tenses ... are they successful or rich? i am asking you a question na... why u com pause?

i have defined what success is in this thread https://www.nairaland.com/1996267/sorry-state-nigerian-education.

in terms of being rich it depends on what u term as riches or is it being wealthy.

those barristers are below standards and below average professionals exist in all professions.
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by Nobody: 9:04am On Nov 14, 2014
franktolk:
The Genesis of degradation in the Educational system in Nigeria is/was the categorisation of Senior Sec education into the supposed " Science,Commercial and Art " Classes . These scenario has created an avenue for some students who feels they are not good mathematically to run into what they call Art Classes ,This is just an Illusion , the fact remains that in big Investment Banking, in the area of accounting ,Merger and Acquisition and even in the Pure sciences Lawyers are needed . Moreso you dont need to be in the Art class before becoming a Lawyer neither do you need to be in a commercial class before going into accounting,Banking and finance and other similar courses.

A solid background in the sciences: Physics in particular, chemistry,Mathematics ,Economics,Advance Maths,Biology,Geography as an elective and one of the Arts subjects like Literature in English,Government and a Vocational Course Like Carpentry,Home economics,Plumbing,Music,Auto-mobile craftmanship is the bedrock of a quality education which can prepare Secondary sch leavers for the outside world .

A complete overhaul of the educational system is urgently needed .

I agree with you brother
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by Onegai(f): 9:10am On Nov 14, 2014
jasperkrekre:
I don't blame u. obviously ignorance is killing u gradually...BTW I'm an architect with bsc and MSC ...bn practising since 2009 that I graduated.... so pls stop talking about what u don't know miss onegia...let me lecture you a bit...10years ago when I was in 100level..we are thought that architecture is d intersection between art,science and technology... so architecture cut across art,science and technology.. one must have a full knowledge of mathematics,physics etc to study architecture... i did a course called theory of structure from 200level to my master level...d course is all about structurability of buildings, shear force/stress, bending moment...infact...there is greater disparity between an architect and an artist...if one is good artistically and poor in science d person won't go far in architecture..

Which University did you attend? I just showed your reply to some architects and they started laughing as well. Please don't ever make me laugh like this again, are you comparing your Archi B.Sc and M.Sc from FUTA or somewhere like that, to University of Bath School of Architecture and Civil Engineering? Maybe you went to a state school, because at University of Ife and University of Lagos, year 1 and year 2 do Drawing, not Technical Drawing. A lot of their architects end up being good at Visual arts. Perhaps your school curriculum was not as concise. Also, your grammar could do with some help.

Mehnn, I now believe it when people complain that all sorts of rubbish will be spewed on NL and the people saying it will be sounding like they know something.

1 Like

Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by Nobody: 9:11am On Nov 14, 2014
DeKasablanca:
Nah. Arts is actually quite broad. Commercial seems more restricted. Psychology, mass comm, international relations, linguistics, political science, english, education, philosophy, etc are arts courses.
psychology is not an art course.. I'm studying psychology
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by estellar12(f): 9:38am On Nov 14, 2014
Law is just ONE of the many subjects you can study. There are sooooo many others.
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by Nzenzemulu(m): 9:43am On Nov 14, 2014
I don't have much to say but anybody studying art in secondary skul is already romancing wit poverty. Period!!
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by Orikinla(m): 9:45am On Nov 14, 2014
Pennywise:
@ op, good point. Art is not our thing besides it's unproductive. They should make agriculture compulsory for all doing non science/social science subjects. .
You are a dummy.
You cannot study architecture without art. And you say Art is unproductive, because of your ignorance.
And there are several courses that you cannot complete without the basics of Art. But the teaching of Art in Nigeria is far behind the standards in the US, UK, Japan and other developed nations.

1 Like

Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by Vado(m): 10:05am On Nov 14, 2014
The op has a point to an extent. Arts class in sec school is fast losing it relevance. Commercial and science students can put in for subjects under arts such as literature, fine arts but it's unheard of an art student taking physics or chemistry subjects. Even in the higher institutions things have changed. Law and Mass Comm which used to be under the Faculty of Arts giving it a more dignifying outlook now have their own independent faculties leaving it with scraps courses. So oh yeah, art class/faculty of arts has become redundant.

P.s I don't agree Law is now a useless course though. It's still as highly regarded as ever but the ministry of education must give the options under Arts faculty a face-lift.
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by obeenah40(m): 10:47am On Nov 14, 2014
estellar12:
Law is just ONE of the many subjects you can study. There are sooooo many others.
the OP still has a point tongue
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by Nobody: 11:09am On Nov 14, 2014
No!
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by menesheh(m): 11:18am On Nov 14, 2014
why are you sounding like this, every field of study has its benefit to humanity and you can't do without it.

coming to the field of law, you have a biased mindset by saying that NLs where saying things bad about the study of law.

All these is all about bringing out your competency in a particular field one fancies.
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by dayveed1(m): 1:18pm On Nov 14, 2014
ooops literature is one of the best subject in secondary school back then, I ain't a Art student tho... hmmmmm OP must be high on something.
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by redsun(m): 2:53pm On Nov 14, 2014
How can law be useless in a country that doesn't have concerted laws yet that guides and protects all and sundry?

Nigerian judiciary system might begin to make sense in 50 years time and that will require expert and right thinking legal luminaries to make it happen. Laws that will be fundamentally independent of the Normans common laws that hardly make sense to us at the moment.

It doesn't matter what course you study,don't just leave your common sense behind.
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by nannyo(f): 3:04pm On Nov 14, 2014
@op, can u read law books n understand? Come to talk of passing law exam. How dare u call law useless? What are u reading or what did u read in school? Pls watch ur tongue.
Fussbot:
Honestly, this class is becoming useless day by day.This observation is based on the fact that there are no many courses you can study under it.Law that used to be the pinnacle of it,according to the recent comments on NL is now a rubbish course.When my younger brother got in for law this year I was very happy but due to the recent comments on NL I feel like advising him not to study it again..I know his future is not determined on whatever course he studies,but it seems law has deteroriated to the extent that there is no future in it whatsoever again.Law aside,other courses in art class need not to be studied b4 practising them(in Nigeria)..Dramatic arts?music?...as for English language and Literature in English,if u don't try and do ur post graduate studies then become a lecturer,I don't know wat's in there for u.....I read on Nl that most art students wants to study law,my research tells me mostimes not because they like law,but because the other courses under it aren't fit their intelligence and also there are not so many courses to study under it...we all aspire to be the best in what we do,Law used to be for art class..now that it seems irrelevant, the class should just be scrambled!...what do you think?
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by Lolmoi(f): 6:16pm On Nov 14, 2014
Fussbot:
Honestly, this class is becoming useless day by day.This observation is based on the fact that there are no many courses you can study under it.Law that used to be the pinnacle of it,according to the recent comments on NL is now a rubbish course.When my younger brother got in for law this year I was very happy but due to the recent comments on NL I feel like advising him not to study it again..I know his future is not determined on whatever course he studies,but it seems law has deteroriated to the extent that there is no future in it whatsoever again.Law aside,other courses in art class need not to be studied b4 practising them(in Nigeria)..Dramatic arts?music?...as for English language and Literature in English,if u don't try and do ur post graduate studies then become a lecturer,I don't know wat's in there for u.....I read on Nl that most art students wants to study law,my research tells me mostimes not because they like law,but because the other courses under it aren't fit their intelligence and also there are not so many courses to study under it...we all aspire to be the best in what we do,Law used to be for art class..now that it seems irrelevant, the class should just be scrambled!...what do you think?
op which planet re u frm? Just because some dumb pple tld u dt Law is no more irrelevant nd u blived it,u nw think u can come here nd try to discourage dem nt to go to art class or study law, since according to u everyother course unda art is irrelevant! Smh for u o. U nid serious re- orientation. The best thing in life is to do wat u love, nd aspire to be d best in it weda law, mass comm or. Medicine

1 Like

Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by NifemiOlu(m): 8:05pm On Nov 14, 2014
November, 2014. I came across the most myopic post on NL.
Well, OP...you actually feel Arts class is tailored to produce lawyers, English experts...hmm.
Arts class produces the teachers for you at any level of education you may attain in life. People in arts go for NCE, get an education based degree in the university and teach you ANY subject at any level of education in the world. The back bone of advanced countries lies in their arts class. That's why the father of education in Nigeria, late prof. Babs Fafunwa said "no nation can rise above the quality of its teachers".
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by NifemiOlu(m): 8:08pm On Nov 14, 2014
yhomz093:
psychology is not an art course.. I'm studying psychology
Sir, where does educational psychology fall into?
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by jasperkrekre(m): 8:09pm On Nov 14, 2014
Onegai:

Which University did you attend? I just showed your reply to some architects and they started laughing as well. Please don't ever make me laugh like this again, are you comparing your Archi B.Sc and M.Sc from FUTA or somewhere like that, to University of Bath School of Architecture and Civil Engineering? Maybe you went to a state school, because at University of Ife and University of Lagos, year 1 and year 2 do Drawing, not Technical Drawing. A lot of their architects end up being good at Visual arts. Perhaps your school curriculum was not as concise. Also, your grammar could do with some help.

Mehnn, I now believe it when people complain that all sorts of rubbish will be spewed on NL and the people saying it will be sounding like they know something.
how did I end up arguing with a dullard like u...if I continue arguing with u it is more like wasting my time!
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by jasperkrekre(m): 8:10pm On Nov 14, 2014
Onegai:

how on earth did I end up arguing with a dullard like u...arguing with u is more like wasting my precious time!....
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by Orinameh2(m): 8:20pm On Nov 14, 2014
Guy u no wise? Abeg use ur brain u don old. In dis Nigeria that we are, there are more job opportunities 4 d arts dan 4 d sciences. Hw many courses are mature in d sciences? If u no knw guy go do anoda research. If dey close d art class and dey dnt study law again u go tel me hw we go take get our judiciary 4 Nigeria. Abi na doctors and engineers go dey b d chief justice of the FRN abi?

1 Like

Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by Nobody: 5:32am On Nov 15, 2014
NifemiOlu:

Sir, where does educational psychology fall into?
that is just a field in psychology.. Educational psychology is the branch
of psychology concerned with the
scientific study of human learning. The
study of learning processes, from
both cognitive and behavioral
perspectives, allows researchers to
understand individual differences in
intelligence, cognitive development,
affect, motivation, self-regulation, and
self-concept, as well as their role in
learning and it falls under soclal science.... there are some fields in psychology that are pure science e.g neuro psychology, physiological psychology,psycho biology, psychopharmacology,experimental psychology etc .....psychology is both a natural and social science... bt it falls under soclal science cuz it deals with people..tnx
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by makazona(m): 6:49am On Nov 15, 2014
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by makazona(m): 6:50am On Nov 15, 2014
imagine
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by sunnyphem(m): 1:08pm On Nov 15, 2014
I don't know why people posting rubbish without thinking twice..... Ask that op, what has he/her contribute to a society..... Pls let us be using our brain sometime when we want to post anything on nairaland!!! LONG LIVE ART CLASS! LONG LIVE Nigeria.
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by sunnyphem(m): 1:17pm On Nov 15, 2014
This OP is getting me angry..... Can a person with sense think of this, not to talk of posting it! You really dissapoint me. You are part of the people who draw Nigeria back!!! Never in your miserable life.... Don't talk negative about ART CLASS again!
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by Boyooosa(m): 4:29pm On Nov 15, 2014
romme2u:

i have defined what success is in this thread https://www.nairaland.com/1996267/sorry-state-nigerian-education.

in terms of being rich it depends on what u term as riches or is it being wealthy.

those barristers are below standards and below average professionals exist in all professions.

One of them is aggressively working towards being a SAN which I know its possible in Nigeria, in fact, he is the one that inspired my stand. Anyway, leaving the Lawyers alone, wot of the Judiciary system, is it frustrating the Legal Practitioners or they are the one frustrating it? pls, i stand to be enlightened.
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by romme2u: 6:24pm On Nov 16, 2014
Boyooosa:

One of them is aggressively working towards being a SAN which I know its possible in Nigeria, in fact, he is the one that inspired my stand. Anyway, leaving the Lawyers alone, wot of the Judiciary system, is it frustrating the Legal Practitioners or they are the one frustrating it? pls, i stand to be enlightened.

everyone has a way of getting to the top. whether you get there or not depends on your approach.

if you dont consider him to be a good lawyer, how do you think his colleagues and clients would rate him. plus if you were to have a case, knowing the kind of person he is, would you pay him to represent you in courts or would you expect him to deliver good legal services or would you even recommend him to somebody looking for a good lawyer.
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by estellar12(f): 11:59pm On Nov 18, 2014
obeenah40:
the OP still has a point tongue
. What point exactly?
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by keandre: 11:11am On May 10, 2015
Re: They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! by Ibukun2k15: 9:22pm On Jan 31, 2016
What are you saying, law is not the only reasonable course there's also economics, accounting. I could go on and on.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ada Osakwe Is First African To Give A Speech At Convocation Of Kellogg School / How To Confirm/know If Your O'level Result Has Been Uploaded On Jamb Portal / Wole Soyinka Government High School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.