Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,959 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:01 AM

Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? (46735 Views)

Help! If You're Using Naira Atm Cards Abroad, What Is The Exchange Rate ? / Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 / Some Reasons Why Nigerians Abroad Are Not Coming Home (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by debosky(m): 6:12pm On Nov 27, 2008
faakay:

Well,

Everybody got reason(s) to move abroad,  well depends on individual and know what he/she is doing

what of people that are roasting in Nigeria! that got no hope, earning so low and got the opportunity to move abroad for greener pastures,  but not advisable for those that got good jobs in Nigeria to move abroad, for vacation better off!

Let me see if I get what you're saying here - it is better to suffer abroad doing menial jobs in TESCO/WalMart than to suffer in Nigeria?   undecided

This kind of mentality is killing us.

A large percentage of people travelling abroad have some level of opportunity in Nigeria - granted there are some with very LOW prospects in Nigeria, but I would rather endure that in Nigeria than go and suffer that same fate + cold, racism and possible death-by-deportation elsewhere.

People abroad aren't saying things are so bad they can't take it - they are simply painting a realistic pictures that things aren't as rosy as some people think. If most people had a choice, they would return home if guaranteed a certain level of income and stability. so staying abroad in many cases is taking the better option of two not so nice alternatives.

@ Busy_Body

So na so dem dey dash pesin money ?? shocked shocked

You sef as per naija pesin, you just dey collect all the [i]awoof [/i]dey go  cheesy Very dangerous move, but at least na only 4.8% interest. Some people owe £22,000 on credit cards at 17% and earn like £30,000 (before tax that is) - how they will ever pay back I don't know.  undecided

I see we are getting a number of positive examples here. Vicade's example cannot be discounted, but in all respects is NOT a typical example in any sense - most people whose parents have homes abroad got all their tuition and living costs paid for - their parents in Nigeria can likely assist in getting a job if the kid isn't smart enough to get one on its own (I'm sure you are more than qualified Vicade, this isn't directed at you wink) People like these have the luxury of living in naija or abroad, with little difference in their standard of living in either locale - heck my friend went home from the US last year and had to take pictures in a Lekki house out of amazement at the level of luxury!  shocked grin

@ tos

It would be helpful if you gave some more details (not personal - just type of job/industry how much planning went into your relocation) so people don't get the wrong impression either.

Generalizing is not useful in many cases, and I'm a personal example as well.

omotoda:

I remember an experienceIhad backin 2004, I just started work den and needed like N500, 000 to offset some expenses for my parents, u wont believe my elder brother who  been dey UK since like 4 years was just stammering on the phone when we asked him.Obviously he couldnt raise that kind of money.

I was really pissed.Just N500K.IT was den i knew that place must be hell.

Bros I don't know what you do or how much disposable income you have, but 500K (~£2500) is A LOT of money, whether in Nigeria or in the UK. Most people don't take that amount of money home each month after tax (or even before tax) so do not be surprised.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by femigirl(f): 8:25pm On Nov 27, 2008
This  a  good  thread grin
I could be here all night long  on this topic.

I look at this topic  this way "the  grass is not always greener , on the other side of  the  fence".  I  have lived in  at  least  four/ five   countries. I thought i  hated  the  UK  especially London until I  went  to  live in the  USA(Boston and  New  york) that  when I  realised I  didnt  hate  it  has  much. Yes, it  is hard in the  UK, the  government don't  want it s citizens to  be  Rich. What  country  rewards  you  for  staying at home- income support, Job seekers allowanace. However, we  have  the  NHS. When I  got  sick in New York and  the  doctors  were telling me my company  medical  insurance   didnt  cover this. I  couldnt believe it. The NHS would  of  never said  that.

All in all I  thank God  for  giving  me  the  opportunity to be  born in the  west  and  never having  to  go  through  what  my cousins/ half  sisters had  to  go  through with the  immigration services. I lived  in Nigeria  for  a  few years and  it  was  good. Let me  tell you  when my  dad  lost his cosy job, I  saw  a new nigeria. Imagaine  going  from Ikoyi to ipaja. from drivers to  bus, private school to  government school.   I  could  write  a book  about   my  life. I  owe  that  experience  to  the  person i  am  now, I  went to university, I  did it all.  I  believe  you can make  it anywere as long  as you  understand the system and  you  have  will power.

The only thing I  wish to  tell Nigerians  back  home  there is  no  gold  on the  floors on UK.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by KarmaMod(f): 8:28pm On Nov 27, 2008
How can NHS say that when they're eating away at hardworking people's paychecks.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by femigirl(f): 8:33pm On Nov 27, 2008
KarmaMod,

I am not following you?
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by KarmaMod(f): 8:39pm On Nov 27, 2008
just wondering how you didnt know that the US doesnt provide universal health care
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by femigirl(f): 8:43pm On Nov 27, 2008
I did know, it was adminstration error on the company behalf because I was on a secondment they only had a value of i cant remember now let say $500,000 and i need like $750,00o worth. That medical insurance stuff scares me.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Nobody: 9:28am On Nov 28, 2008
@ Debosky,

I don add you thru YIM,

I never get ur response oo
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Nobody: 9:40am On Nov 28, 2008
Advice to anyone considering coming over here:

Be sure to have your papers complete, and be sure that the papers allow u to work without restriction.
Be sure to get into a course to bring u up to speed with your chosen discipline, it doesnt have to be a degree course.
Be sure to have accommodation, transportation, feeding, and personal care fully taken care of, if possible be sure to spend your first few months with a family member or friend.
Be sure to stay out of trouble

Hope this helps

@ whitelexi

Thanks for the advice and good observation,

FOR PPL COMING ABROAD, make una GRAB this one oo!! UNLEZ U DIE ROASTING ABROAD!!! PLUS HEAVY COLD as JARA
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by wumiabo(f): 11:34am On Nov 28, 2008
I am absolutely grateful to everyone that has taken time to contribute here. Someone asked me why i started the thread. I dont need any advise, i actually know what i want and need to do. i started this thread because i was alarmed at what people go through here and alarmed that destinys are wasting. Call me any name you want to call me, i am absolutely resolute to give back to the world before i leave - like Celine Dion said in immortality, i will not let anything stop me and not my colour. I believe firmly that everyone has a purpose in life. I get upset when i see people with great potentials losing it because of any reason whatsoever.

London or wherever is not enough to steal anyones self confidence and make them second class citizens. We need to let people know that it is not all rosy outside the country so they can make educated & informed decisions. I can count so many graduates here on odd jobs, believe me am not lying but when you are in nigeria nobody will tell you what they are doing. I dont always agree that the end justifies the means. If the means robbs you of the potential to enjoy the end or even kills you before the end comes then its not worth it. I want Nigerians to be people of dignity and pride and to keep it secure so they can envision a greater and better tomorrow.

My dears, it is incredibly unacceptable for someone who trained as a lawyer to be doing care job or a lecture to be doing carpentry or bricklaying all because you want to stay in london when you know that if you go back home to Nigeria, with your certificate, you will get a better job. It is not all about money of 'ori mama charley' it is protecting the dignity of man. i took a deep breadth because so many peoples pride has been taken away here.

i have a a friend who i fancied in school back in Nigeria you wount believe that when i met him in london, i wondered what went wrong because i just couldnt see that spark in him again. He is still very handsome but that spark that made all girls fall at his feet then in FUTA had gone. by the time he told me his 'london story' - everyone has, i knew that again, london has stolen something from him. i pray he gets it back
That uniqueness that wants to make you reach for the sky should never be allowed to be stolen from anyone.
I REST MY CASE

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by tos(m): 3:11pm On Nov 28, 2008
Debosky

I dont really understand what you mean by generalisation. I dont think my case can be different from that of any other person if we took the same course of action in the way I relocate and search for job in the UK. I was a qualified accountant in Nigeria and the fact that I got my qualification in Nigeria has not hindered my progress here so far. Although I recognise the importance of having a professional certificate in the UK but personally it doesn't bother me. Like I said in my earlier post, I earn more than most of my white colleagues on the same level with me. While i'm being paid at spine point 33, most of the guys on the same level are being paid at 31 and 32.

I am not saying what I did came on a platter of gold. I had to work for free for about two months to be able to break into the UK job market. And I never did any menial job as it never crossed my mind. Yes, luck could be part of the success story, but i'm sure anyone that takes the same or similar part will definitely achieve the same. I dont have English accent but I still make people understand when I talk

Wumiabo

I believe the key to being successful here is having your complete papers and knowing what you are doing when it comes to your profession. I have a friend who did the same thing I did when he came to the UK and he singing the same song right now.

Mind you, there are people in the UK that are languishing in abject poverty and suffering here. Most are illegals. I also have certain negatives that I can point out from my personal experience so far. The cost of leaving is killing. My monthly rent here pays 6 months out of my yearly rent when I was in Nigeria. And I dont remember incurring a bill off more than £500 or monthly basis as well. But I know i'm aying for comfort here (with the exclusion of the cold weather).

Why not ask your friend what he's been doing since he got here? Do you know what he's into? Is he in the UK legally. I have friends in the UK that are doing well, even though some of them work in Asda, Sainbury, Tesco, etc. but they are making attempts to better themselves by studying and not indulging in illegal activities. At least they make their money now rather than be asking their parents for money at 10 years after graduating or doing yahoo yahoo to put food on their tables. Ask these guys whether they prefer it in Nigeria to UK, and listen to what they will have to say.

All about UK should not be potrayed as negatives. Every country has its good, bad and ugly.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by wumiabo(f): 3:33pm On Nov 28, 2008
tos
Honestly i am quite confortable, i have hsmp and am sure thats what you have too. I did not start this thread because of myself, i am always looking at the larger picture maybe you are not. I want the misconception that people have about coming abroad to be discussed. I want people to offer honest opinions about their experiences outside the shores of Nigeria. I absolutely agree that it depends on individuals, but everyone should be discouraged from leaving Nigeria without work permit and even with work permit, if you are not finding it easy here, you have a father land where no one will reject you or treat you like a second citizen.

I did not start this thread for myself but to offer honest advise to those ive seen here and to others coming behind. If you go to hsmp forums you will think UK is heaven. Britons are even finding it difficult getting a job now. What are forums for if we cant tell ourselves the truth.

The truth is my standard of living in Nigeria is better than here. I can afford everything, light, water, car driver, gateman. Tos can you afford to have a driver in the UK? but am sure u had in Nigeria. (pls this is relative just for the sake of argument) Dont let us deceive ourselves with constant light and water illusions when you are paying for every bit of it. Even if PHCN likes let them not bring light for a week, my 1mth house rent here (£600) will buy a generator and fuel it in a month.

Another truth if we search deep into ourselves is we are in london so that people will say we live in london. I pray not that there be any unrest, then we will know that we are safer in Nigeria than any other place.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by damiso(f): 4:06pm On Nov 28, 2008
wumiabo:

tos
Honestly i am quite confortable, i have hsmp and am sure thats what you have too. I did not start this thread because of myself, i am always looking at the larger picture maybe you are not. I want the misconception that people have about coming abroad to be discussed. I want people to offer honest opinions about their experiences outside the shores of Nigeria. I absolutely agree that it depends on individuals, but everyone should be discouraged from leaving Nigeria without work permit and even with work permit, if you are not finding it easy here, you have a father land where no one will reject you or treat you like a second citizen.

I did not start this thread for myself but to offer honest advise to those ive seen here and to others coming behind. If you go to hsmp forums you will think UK is heaven. Britons are even finding it difficult getting a job now. What are forums for if we can't tell ourselves the truth.

The truth is my standard of living in Nigeria is better than here. I can afford everything, light, water, car driver, gateman. Tos can you afford to have a driver in the UK? but am sure u had in Nigeria. (please this is relative just for the sake of argument) don't let us deceive ourselves with constant light and water illusions when you are paying for every bit of it. Even if PHCN likes let them not bring light for a week, my 1mth house rent here (£600) will buy a generator and fuel it in a month.

Another truth if we search deep into ourselves is we are in london so that people will say we live in london. I pray not that there be any unrest, then we will know that we are safer in Nigeria than any other place.

i don't  know about others i am not in london for the sake of being in london(never was and never will be).please do not generalise.Also,sometimes having a driver does not mean a better standard of living.I mean so many people have drivers in naija mainly as status symbols.The reason u,i or tos can't afford one is the fact that the driver would earn hourly and at at rate  that might be almost the cost of your whole salary.tell me do u pay your driver even half of what u earn in nigeria?thats because labour is cheap in nigeria.miss em driver runs sha tongue

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by wumiabo(f): 4:28pm On Nov 28, 2008
damiso
smiley I know someone will take me on on this that is why i said for the sake of argument. Can you tell me why life is so expensive in london even compared to the rest of the world. Being low paid, a driver (for the sake of the same argument) can afford to have a house no matter what in Nigeria. no one on the so called minimum wage can afford it in london. Listen to me, i am against the class disparity, the hype of the western world, the middle class and working class divides.

All human beings are equal even though some are more equal than the others but the disparity doesnt have to be so wide. let us take whatever we have gained here and go build our own Nigeria. Whatever be the case, we are strangers here, even the bible says 'how can we sing the Lords song in a strange land'. I am proud to be a Nigerian no matter what and i tell all my white colleagues at work, they know am not a thieve, they know am not a con man, they know am straight but they also know am Nigerian. i cant change that, NIGERIA IS THE ONLY COUNTRY I CAN CALL MY OWN, so i have to stick by her no matter what, and i have to defend her no matter where.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by damiso(f): 4:46pm On Nov 28, 2008
wumiabo:

damiso
smiley I know someone will take me on on this that is why i said for the sake of argument. Can you tell me why life is so expensive in london even compared to the rest of the world. Being low paid, a driver (for the sake of the same argument) can afford to have a house no matter what in Nigeria. no one on the so called minimum wage can afford it in london. Listen to me, i am against the class disparity, the hype of the western world, the middle class and working class divides.

All human beings are equal even though some are more equal than the others but the disparity doesnt have to be so wide. let us take whatever we have gained here and go build our own Nigeria. Whatever be the case, we are strangers here, even the bible says 'how can we sing the Lords song in a strange land'. I am proud to be a Nigerian no matter what and i tell all my white colleagues at work, they know am not a thieve, they know am not a con man, they know am straight but they also know am Nigerian. i can't change that, NIGERIA IS THE ONLY COUNTRY I CAN CALL MY OWN, so i have to stick by her no matter what, and i have to defend her no matter where.

i agree with on all the higlighted,but you have to agree that the avearge well off nigerian is a sucker for the 'class, i am better than you thing'.even poor people want to opress poor people and would like them to know 'we are not on the same level'.that is why a danfo driver will tell a poor girl that has been working like a slave in a bank(just anexample)' ma ko pa e danu(meaning i will kill you).u know why he said that its not the girl,its the fact that she is driving that car and he is cared that his maybe he might never drive that type of car.is it by force to own a car?so many people ca afford cars here and choose not to buy one.but in naija car is 1.a necessity cos public transportation is crap2.it is a status symbol.

I intend to go home in the nearest future cos i love naija believe me i am a naija lover to the core and am here cos the love of my life is here,He knows it and we are working on going back home soon.I must say that i am also guilty of the whole class thing one way or the other but being here has made me appreciate the dignity in labour.I wish i could reorientate all nigerians to pls respect everyone.a bus driver here is proud of his job and is not looked down on by his peers,but a 'big boy' in a bank in nigeria will feel he is better than his friend he went to uni with that works in alausa seceteriat.and the one in alausa sef they envy am not because he wants to better his lot generally but beacuse of this same status thing.then he is promoted to an office where he is in charge of contracts,egunje bade(egunje don land).he too will now buy 'babyboy'(honda civic dont what yr) and him and the bank friend are now 'big boys' cheesy
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by wumiabo(f): 5:07pm On Nov 28, 2008
smileyha,
If na that one you wan talk, its human nature. I used to think that it doesnt exist here, how wrong i was. I had issues when i just started working at a particular company because someone wanted to be lord and master of everyone. London is a leveler but that is within the working class, the upper class are just inpenetrable. I want to believe they are worse of because the divide is an established thing, its an institution. imagine saying some people are working class and some are middle class. I would think because am working, then i should be seen as better off than someone whos not working. in Nigeria, if you are hard working you can belong to any class but here no matter how hard working or rich you are, the colour of your skin makes you a second class citizen.

The program on BBC 4- 'the Royal Gigolo' or whatever about the black musician who tried to penetrate the british ruling house but couldnt is an eye opener. no matter what you do, you just dont belong. can you imagine that! Just because of a factor you have no ruling over- the colour of my skin, gimme a break here.

The america system has abolished the wide class divide. Institutional racism established in the UK can never allow a black prime Minister. I have stayed in the US b4 but never even thought of all the things that go through my head here.

i have widely digresses from the topic and am sorry but you know these are issues. if the reason for being in the UK is money, then well maybe some people try hard to save if they dont have family and children but its difficult. lastly for me, it is the quality of life am living that matters and also the state of my mind. i am passionate about leaving the world a better place than i met it and Damiso, can i truly do that here in london without institutional resistance?
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by tos(m): 5:08pm On Nov 28, 2008
Wumiabo

I dont think you are getting the point i've been trying to make.  Relocating abroad should be individual decisions based on individual circumstances in Nigeria.  In the UK, there are Nigerians that are doing fine and there are some that are struggling.  The fact still remains that the proportion of those struggling in Nigeria compared to the so called "well to do" is increasing at an alarming rate.  

I was doing very well in Nigeria prior to my relocating but with all the big salaries.  But I never considered getting a driver to take me around.  I remember buying a car about four months ago (still wondering why I bought the car) and had to sell it due to the high cost of insurance, road tax, gas, etc.  It was difficult to even get a buyer for the car as no one wanted to buy.  It is convinient for me getting to my various destinations by public transport.

Have you ever had a medical emergency when you are broke in Nigeria before? I lost my mum because a government hospital wanted me to deposit some money before even touching her while she was dying.  I lost my niece because I couldnt get my car to my brother's house on time to take to the hospital due to the barricades i came across on my way (almost all streets have barricades for security reasons).  Is that possble in a well sturctured and organised country?

I still insist that people relocate due to various reasons, varying from economy, security, health, etc.  But whichever a person's reason is, should be done with the appropriate documentations (visas).
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by wumiabo(f): 6:04pm On Nov 28, 2008
absolutely
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by DisGuy: 7:21pm On Nov 28, 2008
I believe you can make it anywere as long as you understand the system and you have will power.

well captured, the problem is the system is designed with everyone in mind, especially those who wants to take the money 'out' cool

wumiabo:

The truth is my standard of living in Nigeria is better than here. I can afford everything, light, water, car driver, gateman. Tos can you afford to have a driver in the UK? but am sure u had in Nigeria. (please this is relative just for the sake of argument) don't let us deceive ourselves with constant light and water illusions when you are paying for every bit of it. Even if PHCN likes let them not bring light for a week, my 1mth house rent here (£600) will buy a generator and fuel it in a month.

Sorry but why did you travel to the UK since your standard of living is better in Nigeria?
or should i say why didn't you come back?

don't let us deceive ourselves with constant light and water illusions when [b]you are paying for every bit of i[/b]t

surely if you use it you are meant to pay for it, no?

All human beings are equal even though some are more equal than the others but the disparity doesnt have to be so wide.

sorry, did you live in nigeria at all?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by SGN(m): 2:02am On Nov 29, 2008
I like this thread.  The issue is debated in an healthy and educating manner with appropriate dose of fun and a bit of
lewd comments here and there. We can't rule that out, can we?

There have been key points raised on both sides of the arguments.  As Wumiabo said, it is to alarm people out there, that living abroad is not an automatic route to success. It is another route altogether and the destination very well depend not only on the driver but also the[b] traffic rule[/b], the car conditon and the road condition

Key point to beware of:

1.  Please don't come in wrongly.  It is always difficult to get back on the right route if one comes in wrongly.  It is the bane of most peoples problem here.

2.  If you do make mistake in the above point, then roll up your sleeve and be prepared for a really rough ride.

3.  Assess your situation, very well, who you are and your goal.  Some people even though born and raise up in Nigeria (or Africa) are naturally orientated to living in the western way, how this happens I don't know.  Some people like me are not.  So what is ok for a might just be killing for b.

All these I mentioned are just addendum, a lot had already been said here, if anyone want to be alarmed about what is happening here and want ot make an informed decision, this thread is a great one.

I have to say thank you so much to everyone who contributed to this. It is really refreshing.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Ifygurl: 7:45am On Nov 29, 2008
If you have a Good job in Nigeria. Stay in Nigeria.
I've seen numerous Africans that had good jobs in their country but when they relocate aboard they just end up doing some idiotic jobs just to survive.
I know a Nigerian that was a Bank Manger in Nigeria. Left Nigeria, Sold everything he owned in Naija just to relocate to America and being a Taxi driver (just sad).

Oga if YOU HAVE A GOOD JOB IN NIGERIA; STAY IN NIGERIA

That's my advice to you.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by femigirl(f): 1:48pm On Nov 29, 2008
Ladies and Gentleman,

I have a few points to make:

I just wanted to state few things Tesco, Asda do have other jobs that cahiers and store management. My friend is Pharmarcy Manger with Tesco and is earning 50K plus, i also know people working in IT. Tesco and Asda are a good company.

Further, if you haverelocate to west from Nigeria, you couldn't been comfortable

comfort- is a state of mind, it not the matter of finance.

You may of been rich in Nigeria but something must of been missing (better opportunities to progress, training, happiness, more money, travelling)for you to move, what do you all think?
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by debosky(m): 3:07pm On Dec 04, 2008
tos:

Debosky

I don't really understand what you mean by generalisation. I don't think my case can be different from that of any other person if we took the same course of action in the way I relocate and search for job in the UK. I was a qualified accountant in Nigeria and the fact that I got my qualification in Nigeria has not hindered my progress here so far. Although I recognise the importance of having a professional certificate in the UK but personally it doesn't bother me. Like I said in my earlier post, I earn more than most of my white colleagues on the same level with me. While i'm being paid at spine point 33, most of the guys on the same level are being paid at 31 and 32.

I am not saying what I did came on a platter of gold. I had to work for free for about two months to be able to break into the UK job market. And I never did any menial job as it never crossed my mind. Yes, luck could be part of the success story, but [b]i'm sure anyone that takes the same or similar part will definitely achieve the same. [/b]I don't have English accent but I still make people understand when I talk.

That is the place you are very wrong - there will ALWAYS be exceptions - what if no one gave you the opportunity to work free for two months before getting into paid employment? What would happen then? Not every company or firm is as willing to accept people with foreign qualifications - even with your accounting degree, I'm sure you must have worked for a multinational before you left Nigeria or a similar type of company.

I know many qualified people who have passed interviews, and have even been told that they performed far higher than the interviewer expected and still didn't get the jobs - what would you say in those cases?

The reason you didn't do any menial job is because you did not run out of cash (from savings you brought) or you had some other means of support - not everyone is that fortunate. I know so many stories of months and months of search, leading to people having no choice but to take menial jobs, if only to continue living while applying.

I'm not saying things do not happen the way yours happened - but I still believe your case is not a typical one. No one is saying the UK is so bad or so awful. People simply need to hear both sides of the story - even when you do everything required, things can STILL be tough and not go the way you want.

You earn more than your colleagues, which is good, but is that not because you are better than them? Will a Nigerian always be better than the people he works with to always get a higher salary? I hope you get my point now.

I'll comment on wunmi's posts later.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Moves: 3:57pm On Dec 04, 2008
Am very happy @ the level of discuss here; few points is that if u really do have a well paying job in nigeria; there is no point relocating to the west for greener pastures; but u can relocate if you have other reasons like health, security family etc. Being Legally resident makes it a bit easier because no relocation is easy.
Also for some people coming to Uk has afforded them the oppurtunity to achieve something in life with HARDWORK that would not have been possible if they had stayed back in nigeria. so i agree with tos; I main thing I hate about nigeria is that if u dont know someone it is extremely difficult to land a descent job, whereas i the Uk, if u r in the right field getting a job is alot easier.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by tos(m): 1:17am On Dec 05, 2008
Moves - Thanks for your post. Sorry for not responding earlier as i've been going to the library to study. Clearly, i'm in a discussion with intelligent people and surely agree with what Moves said. It can be easier for you here as you dont have to know an uncle to get a decent job.

Debosky - My argument is that other people have done the same thing I did and have also come out successful. They even achieved what I did in a shorter time. If I had been privy to the information I have now when I just came to the UK, I am sure it would have been a different ball game. It is the lack of sufficient information about the UK job market that usually break people when they come to the UK. I was advised by a former colleague to take up a voluntary job when I just got to the UK to game some UK experience but I refused as I didnt want to do any work for anybody for free (a typical Nigeria mentallity). But most people are taking that path now and they are making it. A former junior in my university days even asked if I can set her up somewhere on a voluntary job for few months to enable her get some good UK references just yesterday. She even told she doesnt mind paying to have the experience for three months. I heard that some institutions like Kaplan, BPP, LCA, etc now collect money from people to find voluntary work for them.

The argument is that people are now realising the importance of taking up voluntary work when they get to the UK as no employer will be willing to take you up without having some decent experience in the UK.

By and large, I am not advising any body to relocate to the UK or any other western country at this point. The credit crunch is really having its bites on the ecomomies of these countries right now. I understand that the UK economy may not recover at all from the recession in 2009. But the job market may start picking up slowly in the third quarter of the year (2009). If you are applying for any tier 1 visa at this time, it is better to put it on hold until the economy start opening up a bit.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by damiso(f): 11:43am On Dec 05, 2008
tos:

Moves - Thanks for your post. Sorry for not responding earlier as i've been going to the library to study. Clearly, i'm in a discussion with intelligent people and surely agree with what Moves said. It can be easier for you here as you don't have to know an uncle to get a decent job.

Debosky - My argument is that other people have done the same thing I did and have also come out successful. They even achieved what I did in a shorter time. If I had been privy to the information I have now when I just came to the UK, I am sure it would have been a different ball game. It is the lack of sufficient information about the UK job market that usually break people when they come to the UK. I was advised by a former colleague to take up a voluntary job when I just got to the UK to game some UK experience but I refused as I didnt want to do any work for anybody for free (a typical Nigeria mentallity). But most people are taking that path now and they are making it. A former junior in my university days even asked if I can set her up somewhere on a voluntary job for few months to enable her get some good UK references just yesterday. She even told she doesnt mind paying to have the experience for three months. I heard that some institutions like Kaplan, BPP, LCA, etc now collect money from people to find voluntary work for them.

The argument is that people are now realising the importance of taking up voluntary work when they get to the UK as no employer will be willing to take you up without having some decent experience in the UK.

By and large, I am not advising any body to relocate to the UK or any other western country at this point. The credit crunch is really having its bites on the ecomomies of these countries right now. I understand that the UK economy may not recover at all from the recession in 2009. But the job market may start picking up slowly in the third quarter of the year (2009). If you are applying for any tier 1 visa at this time, it is better to put it on hold until the economy start opening up a bit.

And going by yesterday's news it is already heading in the form a full blown depression as there are some more jobs being cut by big names like credit suisse,citibank etc.Pls and pls do not relocate to the UK at the moment it is not a good idea.Na God go help we wey dey here for now. grin
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by bawomolo(m): 8:38pm On Dec 05, 2008
do you know what a depression is. it hasn't gotten to that point yet
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Busybody2(f): 11:41pm On Dec 05, 2008
debosky:

@ Busy_Body

So na so them dey dash pesin money ?? shocked shocked

You sef as per naija pesin, you just dey collect all the [i]awoof [/i]dey go  cheesy Very dangerous move, but at least na only 4.8% interest. Some people owe £22,000 on credit cards at 17% and earn like £30,000 (before tax that is) - how they will ever pay back I don't know.  undecided

Who no like awoof, why do you think the indigenes don't bother to work lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed I hate the way this country rewards feckless people who live beyond their means, at the expense of those who are hardworking and prudent. And if you can't beat them, no be oyinbo talk am say make you join them grinI am a stickler for the rule you see, law-abiding upright citizen and all cheesy cheesy cheesy   

As per how to pay it back, wetin concern agbero like me with overload grin Why i go dey take panadol for another person's headache grin  Infact, the idea of collecting two more years worth is looking palatable more and more, since the banks would slam the door in my face if I approach them for credit.

You would be surprised the amount of money legally there for the taking, in this country. The country likes to piss on people who are hard-working, all they care about is sharing the wealth, so the moment you start earning anything above £30,000 per annum, 1/3 of that is collected back from you via tax, and this amount does not include the council tax, et al that you still have to cough up. The people suffering in the country now are those who lived a lifetime of thrift and scrimped and saved to put something aside. Now their savings and pension is taking severe battering left right and centre. . .

debosky:

. . . heck my friend went home from the US last year and had to take pictures in a Lekki house out of amazement at the level of luxury!  shocked grin

Lol cheesy Bet he pinched himself raw too, in the process grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Nobody: 11:44pm On Dec 05, 2008
bawomolo:

do you know what a depression is. it hasn't gotten to that point yet
cheesy grin cheesy

Do you think it'll get to the point of Nigerians abroad rushing back home?\
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by DavidDylan(m): 11:47pm On Dec 05, 2008
My advice for those who are abroad . . . arm yourself with as much degrees and work experience that will stand you way above your peers in Nigeria. While doing that pls and pls look for business connections in Nigeria. Its a waste of time thinking you can live on your foreign salary alone.

After a few yrs get a good job possibly in a foreign company in Nigeria . . . there are many and go back home to live in peace. I dont fancy spending 30yrs paying mortgage on a home that wont ever be mine.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Busybody2(f): 12:05am On Dec 06, 2008
Ebony-Silk:

cheesy grin cheesy

Do you think it'll get to the point of Nigerians abroad rushing back home?\

What would you do if the sterling/dollar falls to 1-2-1, and your £50,000/$50,000 is now only worth 50,000 naira shocked shocked shocked  grin
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Nobody: 12:11am On Dec 06, 2008
Busy_body:

What would you do if the sterling/dollar falls to 1-2-1, and your £50,000/$50,000 is now only worth 50,000 naira shocked shocked shocked grin
Stop that, Iyalode.
nOT FUNNY angry angry grin

oN A SERIOUS NOTE, i'LL RATHER STAY WHERE i AM THEN. . . .
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by MrCrackles(m): 12:14am On Dec 06, 2008
shocked shocked shocked shocked

So busybody razor mouth still dey nairaland?! shocked grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Vehicle Offence In UK And Nigeria, LASTMA Example (pics) / Beautiful Pictures Of Ikoyi, Lagos (video) / Bizarre Illegal Immigration Techniques: How People And Drugs Are Smuggled.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.