Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,540 members, 7,837,078 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:29 PM

Hausa Ajami/Arabic Inscriptions Removed From New N100 Note - Business (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Hausa Ajami/Arabic Inscriptions Removed From New N100 Note (105867 Views)

Jonathan Refutes MURIC's Allegation Of Jewish Symbol On N100 Note / Muslim Body Alleges Jewish Symbol On New N100 Note / Sanusi Did Not Re-introduce Arabic Inscriptions On Naira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hausa Ajami/Arabic Inscriptions Removed From New N100 Note by HARDDON: 7:55pm On Nov 17, 2014
MaAngwa:

It surprises me that Mr. Jari find this so important than the issues of corruption, poverty, hunger, high level of illiteracy, etc that is seriously affecting the North. Despite the Northerners ruling this country more than the southerner since independence, there is nothing good they can point to as the main achievement to the masses except their individual purse. They encourage them to be almajiri while their own children travel abroad to study. Mr. Jari did not see anything wrong in what BH are doing for him to condemn but his main problem is removing of arabic on new naira note. I wonder what type of human being
he is. He must be a trouble shooter, trying to incite the moslems against the christians

'Wise words from a thinking man '
Drown in d euphoria of a blistering pen

While drunk n staggering from this, toll dis roll
https://www.nairaland.com/1951889/phone-flight-dawn-new-age

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hausa Ajami/Arabic Inscriptions Removed From New N100 Note by Frankestein08(m): 7:55pm On Nov 17, 2014
holatin:

mehn I don't know guy that are so dump to this extent still exist.
people like you are d reason I supported abortion.

Adolf hitler must ve tampered with ur english & maybe also ur brain cos you ain't making any sense.
Re: Hausa Ajami/Arabic Inscriptions Removed From New N100 Note by KLand(m): 7:55pm On Nov 17, 2014
aljharem:

I respectfully disagree with you sir.

Arabic is not our language so is English but our official language is English. Just like Niger, their official language is French.

Now how many people can read Arabic ? Lets be honest with ourselves, the only Arabic likes of us can recognise are the ones written in the Quran not taking it to the extent of writing it on our money.

In Nigeria, we need to take different groups along, the Christians are not comfortable with the Arabic inscription on the Note. Why not just remove it and write in Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo and English. This why we can convert more Christians to Muslims just as Prophet Mohammed said (S.A.W)

You made some sense until your last sentence.

3 Likes

Re: Hausa Ajami/Arabic Inscriptions Removed From New N100 Note by limamintruth: 7:55pm On Nov 17, 2014
jomoh:

Ignorance kills faster than bullets.

Before you can read in Hausa, Igbo or Yoruba you must be familiar with english alphabets and be able to read english. Most Hausas were educated in Arabic as at the time those currencies were introduced while southerners were educated in English hence the use of Arabic and English.

The article is clear enough [b\]"The Ajami writing was purposely meant to enable the Hausas and other tribes that had learnt Arabic long before English read the currency. As English came to Nigeria through the south, so Arabic came to Nigeria through the north."[b]

This government along with has succeeded so much in dividing this country along religious line to the extent that we senselessly read religious meanings to what ordinarily does not have anything to do with religion. Almost everyone is now a religious bigot.

If you had read the article with a clear 'un-bigotic' mind, you would have noticed the bolded statement. Same with most people that commented before you.

You even went as far as quoting a Prophet wrongly. Things like this that people say without much thought are what causes most religious uprising.

"My people perish for lack of knowledge"

Please you better stop portraying hausas as illiterates who cant read or write in english. The hausas of the colonial years aint the hausas of today. A typical hausa illiterate of today can speak at least creole english no matter how unrefined it may sound.
And no matter how dull a hausa man may be, he can identify any number be it 5 or 100; thus, he needs NO arabic lang./inscription to tell him what no. 5 or 100 is. So ur excuse is baseless mister.

1 Like

Re: Hausa Ajami/Arabic Inscriptions Removed From New N100 Note by holatin(m): 7:56pm On Nov 17, 2014
Truckpusher:
Who cares as long as you guys are still tying bombs to your waist - I guess that says a lot about that religion.
fool that what u Ve always attached to us but we still gain ground. even USA dat dat you look up to are the leading nation in accepting Islam.
my dad always tell me....don't interact with fool cus foolishness could be contaminable.
so my last word to you. Read ur bible very well and act to his word
Re: Hausa Ajami/Arabic Inscriptions Removed From New N100 Note by Nobody: 7:56pm On Nov 17, 2014
maclatunji:

The essence of the currency is for people to use it, if you make it difficult for a good part of the people it is meant for to identify and use it, then you have only proven to be myopic.

I also find it funny that the opponents of the Arabic script are motivated by hate and to a lesser extent fear. Removing the scripts will not change their fear or reduce their hate. I find it amusing as a result.

@Maclatunji, Vedaxcool, Missmeiya, Aljharem and the rest:
Before my grandmother lost her sight and later passed on, she could identify all naira notes available as at then, even though she didn't have any formal education, and could neither understand, speak nor write in English language. Likewise, I believe any northerner can also understand and appreciate the notes without the inscriptions.

Again, Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba in the polymer notes may be written in Latin, but the letters conform to the writing of English, which is our official language. For that reason, even though I don't understand Yoruba or Hausa, I can still pronounce the words on the notes. It's about conformity to the accepted standard. Arabic inscriptions do not conform to the accepted standard in Nigeria. That is why non-northerners and non-muslims don't know what those inscriptions are, talk more of being able to pronounce them.

Latin lettering, as we write them in English is the standard in Nigeria. Even those of you that were taught Hausa in secondary schools learnt it in the Latin lettering, not ajami. Our numerical system is Arabic, but it's the standard for English writing, and generally acceptable. That's why nobody can advocate inclusion of Roman. numerals in any national item.

Christians have reasons to be suspicious of muslims because of events all over the world. Ordinary take over of Mubi for a few weeks, and yet over 70 churches were burnt. Many christians are forcefully converted to Islam everyday, so why should we not be suspicious. Does it not surprise you that all over the world, no other religion has successfully coexisted with Islam?

For peace to reign, we must all be tolerant, and eliminate all grounds of mutual suspicion.

10 Likes

Re: Hausa Ajami/Arabic Inscriptions Removed From New N100 Note by ademoladeji(m): 7:56pm On Nov 17, 2014
I really love Chinua Achebe's "Things fall Apart". Millions of us never had issue with what's inscribed on our naira notes not until now. Bigots making bigotry comments about fellow bigots. May God help us after we must have helped ourselves.
wetin concern me with CAN, Arewa, Oduduwa n Ohanezie? All I want is good governance that I can be so proud of. Work no dey, light na zero, Education dey go down like Arsenal FC...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hausa Ajami/Arabic Inscriptions Removed From New N100 Note by Mclick(m): 7:58pm On Nov 17, 2014
maclatunji:

You need an education on scripts.
Education like its only Nigerian money I have ever seen you mean, or is there any economic benefit for for we Nigerians for having Arabic inscribed on our currencies. Do let us into whatever insight that is symbolic to the unity of Nigerian circular nation status
Re: Hausa Ajami/Arabic Inscriptions Removed From New N100 Note by Frankestein08(m): 7:59pm On Nov 17, 2014
theSpark:

Quite true.

Most parties for and against the Ajami script are driven by naked sentiments. Ajami is not as popular as you think it is up north. I think the only time I saw any Ajami script was a Zamfara? state government calendar and it was in English and Ajami. If Ajami was very popular as you may think it is, Daily Trust the fiercely pro-north newspaper would publish it's Hausa Newspaper Aminiya in the Ajami format. Likewise all the 'Soyaya' Hausa literature are written in the Latin script.

I think the Ajami has outlived it's usefulness on our currency as less an less people are literate in it. I agree with you 100% that the form of writing ought to be preserved.

All ye pro latin and pro arabic folks lets come to a compromise. Let's go for the Nsibidim script. it's truly Nigerian in origin.

If preservation is what you're complaining about, I think that's what the museum is for.
Re: Hausa Ajami/Arabic Inscriptions Removed From New N100 Note by Nobody: 8:00pm On Nov 17, 2014
ILIDEFI:

@Maclatunji, Vedaxcool, Missmeiya and the rest:
Before my grandmother lost her sight and later passed on, she could identify all naira notes available as at then, even though she didn't have any formal education, and could neither understand, speak nor write in English language. Likewise, I believe any northerner can also understand and appreciate the notes without the inscriptions.

Again, Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba in the polymer notes may be written in Latin, but the letters conform to the writing of English, which is our official language. For that reason, even though I don't understand Yoruba or Hausa, I can still pronounce the words on the notes. It's about conformity to the accepted standard. Arabic inscriptions do not conform to the accepted standard in Nigeria. That is why non-northerners and non-muslims don't know what those inscriptions are, talk more of being able to pronounce them.

Latin lettering, as we write them in English is the standard in Nigeria. Even those of you that were taught Hausa in secondary schools learnt it in the Latin lettering, not ajami. Our numerical system is Arabic, but it's the standard for English writing, and generally acceptable. That's why nobody can advocate inclusion of Roman. numerals in any national item.

For peace to reign, we must all be tolerant, and eliminate all grounds of mutual suspicion.

This is a well-reasoned argument. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Hausa Ajami/Arabic Inscriptions Removed From New N100 Note by franksam2009: 8:01pm On Nov 17, 2014
you are very stupid for opening this thread, y should they add bokoharam language in Nigerians currency, how u go feel if dey add version of d Bible inside currency, I HATE YOU ARABIANS

1 Like

Re: Hausa Ajami/Arabic Inscriptions Removed From New N100 Note by JoeGaruba: 8:02pm On Nov 17, 2014
Have any of the arabic/ajimi writing apologists taken time to Google search the image of the currency of Chad, Niger, Mali......Those counties have more muslims than any other religion.

All the foaming at the mouth would not be necessary if you did. It is tradition that times must change. If it is no longer relevant that the arabic
writing be on the Naira, why keep it there? Do we just do things because its the way we have always done them?

Read this:

A group of scientists placed 5 monkeys in a cage and in the middle, a ladder with bananas on the top.
Every time a monkey went up the ladder, the scientists soaked the rest of the monkeys with cold water.
After a while, every time a monkey went up the ladder, the others beat up the one on the ladder.
After some time, no monkey dare[d] to go up the ladder regardless of the temptation.
Scientists then decided to substitute one of the monkeys. The 1st thing this new monkey did was to go up the ladder. Immediately the other monkeys beat him up.

After several beatings, the new member learned not to climb the ladder even though he never knew why.
A 2nd monkey was substituted and the same occurred. The 1st monkey participated on [sic] the beating for [sic] the 2nd monkey. A 3rd monkey was changed and the same was repeated (beating). The 4th was substituted and the beating was repeated and finally the 5th monkey was replaced.
What was left was a group of 5 monkeys that even though never received a cold shower, continued to beat up any monkey who attempted to climb the ladder.
If it was possible to ask the monkeys why they would beat up all those who attempted to go up the ladder ... I bet you the answer would be ... "I don't know — that's how things are done around here" Does it sound familiar?

http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/6828/was-the-experiment-with-five-monkeys-a-ladder-a-banana-and-a-water-spray-condu

2 Likes

Re: Hausa Ajami/Arabic Inscriptions Removed From New N100 Note by holatin(m): 8:03pm On Nov 17, 2014
Frankestein08:

Adolf hitler must ve tampered with ur english & maybe also ur brain cos you ain't making any sense.
yeah he did, with all your I sabi English, u didn't make English until the fourth time writing GCE.
ode Omo Iran kiran
Re: Hausa Ajami/Arabic Inscriptions Removed From New N100 Note by cirmuell(m): 8:03pm On Nov 17, 2014
Idrismusty97:
@bolded that is the point! Just because they aren't comfortable with the Arabic inscription doesn't means it should be removed. In the same currency all the other languages are written signifying the worth of the naira e.g Nàírà Méwàà, Naira Iri and Naira Goma. Notice both the Yorubas and Igbos write in Latin alphabet. If the Hausas preferred to write their language in Arabic alphabet why stop them?
Latin ko german ni grin
Re: Hausa Ajami/Arabic Inscriptions Removed From New N100 Note by IDEApro(m): 8:03pm On Nov 17, 2014
My grandma that has no formal education is using the naira in the village conveniently. They should expunged that Arabic nonsense from our monetary denominations. Its a huge joke on secular Nigeria and a slap on the sensibility of the Christians that make use of this currencies.

Gradually, Jonathan will correct all these injustices propagated by the northern Muslim military rulers on Nigeria.

Very soon, I mean very soon, everything will be done on merit and not quota system or federal character

3 Likes

Re: Hausa Ajami/Arabic Inscriptions Removed From New N100 Note by COOLCATS: 8:04pm On Nov 17, 2014
Shallow mentality ... will this change the purchasing power , redundant arguements. sad

3 Likes

Re: Hausa Ajami/Arabic Inscriptions Removed From New N100 Note by BetaThings: 8:04pm On Nov 17, 2014
aljharem:

I mean tolerance goes both ways in the sense that if they want a removal of the inscription to be comfortable then WE should tolerate that change wink.
What happened to you?
You used to be objective.
How many things associated with Christianity have we demanded that should be removed in order for us to be comfortable
Understand the argument
If Nigeria had been colonised by and Arab country, would Muslims have been demanding the removal of latin-based languages from our currnecies
Let me ask
What are the benefits of this move?
Some people say they are liberated from shackles. How?
They will now be able to vote tommorrow unlike in the past?, or get married without a licence etc?
What freedom or rights did Muslims have before this measure was taken that Christians did not have?

Do you know that Muslims have made far more concessions in this country than the Christians?
The average Muslim needs to take permission to go to Jumat prayer but Christians can spend 7 hours in church on Sat or Sun

3 Likes

Re: Hausa Ajami/Arabic Inscriptions Removed From New N100 Note by jireh250: 8:05pm On Nov 17, 2014
Please is Nigeria still a member of OIC? Abeg, National Assembly and Presidency, biko Alt Delete kia kia!

4 Likes

Re: Hausa Ajami/Arabic Inscriptions Removed From New N100 Note by Nobody: 8:05pm On Nov 17, 2014
theSpark:

Quite true.

Most parties for and against the Ajami script are driven by naked sentiments. Ajami is not as popular as you think it is up north. I think the only time I saw any Ajami script was a Zamfara? state government calendar and it was in English and Ajami. If Ajami was very popular as you may think it is, Daily Trust the fiercely pro-north newspaper would publish it's Hausa Newspaper Aminiya in the Ajami format. Likewise all the 'Soyaya' Hausa literature are written in the Latin script.

I think the Ajami has outlived it's usefulness on our currency as less an less people are literate in it. I agree with you 100% that the form of writing ought to be preserved.

All ye pro latin and pro arabic folks lets come to a compromise. Let's go for the Nsibidim script. it's truly Nigerian in origin.

There is a small movement online to develop the Nsbidi script. As you can imagine, it has very little support, Nigeria-centric as it is...

If you're truly interested, you can visit http://nsibiri..com

I used to manage http://nsibidi.wikia.com before they upgraded and lost most of my files, then I gave up, seeing no interest. *shrug*

1 Like

Re: Hausa Ajami/Arabic Inscriptions Removed From New N100 Note by Nobody: 8:05pm On Nov 17, 2014
maclatunji:

The essence of the currency is for people to use it, if you make it difficult for a good part of the people it is meant for to identify and use it, then you have only proven to be myopic.

I also find it funny that the opponents of the Arabic script are motivated by hate and to a lesser extent fear. Removing the scripts will not change their fear or reduce their hate. I find it amusing as a result.
so do we go to school in Nigeria to learn English. or Arabic. most of Yoruba n igbo old men n women don't know English yet the make use of naira this is northern problem they can't learn they want everything as usual this is twenty first century grow up northern pls grow up this is hw u people jst dey drag dis country bck for thirty eight yrs now

3 Likes

Re: Hausa Ajami/Arabic Inscriptions Removed From New N100 Note by BetaThings: 8:06pm On Nov 17, 2014
Idrismusty97:
Is your state laws written in Latin? This government is dividing Nigerians along Ethnic lines. Since it has gotten to this point all Latin alphabets should also be scrapped out of our naira. English is our official language after all.

This is what Jonathan promised in his 2011 inaugural speech
As usual, he makes promises in order to break them
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/05/over-40-heads-of-state-witness-jonathans-inauguration-amid-tight-security/
Today, our unity is firm, and our purpose is strong. Our determination unshakable. Together, we will unite our nation and improve the living standards of all our peoples whether in the North or in the South; in the East or in the West. Our decade of development has begun. The march is on. The day of transformation begins today.We will not allow anyone exploit differences in creed or tongue, to set us one against another.

1 Like

Re: Hausa Ajami/Arabic Inscriptions Removed From New N100 Note by osamaBUSH(m): 8:06pm On Nov 17, 2014
Idrismusty97:
How many Nigerians read or understand Latin?
Most Catholics do!
Re: Hausa Ajami/Arabic Inscriptions Removed From New N100 Note by Nobody: 8:07pm On Nov 17, 2014
Nigeria is not Islamic country in the first place because there are equal population of Christians and animists.

2 Likes

Re: Hausa Ajami/Arabic Inscriptions Removed From New N100 Note by sweetgala(m): 8:09pm On Nov 17, 2014
resty4:

http://www.naij.com/325302-n100-note-no-hausa-ajami.html

Correction , The Queen's English is universal in Nigeria. How well it was accepted is unique in different parts of Nigeria.
The Arabic inscription should be returned as it represents some form of identity for some 80 million or more Nigerians

1 Like

Re: Hausa Ajami/Arabic Inscriptions Removed From New N100 Note by limamintruth: 8:09pm On Nov 17, 2014
PStacks:

This is a very serious and grave allegation.

I'm afraid the writer has exclusive rights to his observations.

The Question here should be...

"Does the North and the South have to be together in the first place"?

There is a lot of intolerance of one region to the other.

If you ask me, I would say this is not fair to the hausa speaking people even tho I'm not hausa..

Then that brings us back to question of our unity and continue co existence..

Let them liberate people.
Let them free people up.

People that can't Tolerate themselves shouldn't be joined together in an uÑholy Matrimony as Nigeria.

Intolerance leads to hate, hate leads to violence, violence leads to death.

At a time when the country is going thru so much unrest, I must confess this policy is ill timed, it could even have malice and prejudice, it could have intent and delibrate attempt at calumny.

Let this 100 naira not spark unrest, there is already enough to deal with in the North-east.

I don't support removing of Hausa or Arabic from our currency except if you now tell me the South is now independent of the North as in "South Sudan aÑd Sudan"

You see, if Nigeria is going to break up, there is no need for so much pain and if nigeria is going to remain as one entity, there also is no need for this so much crisis.

People should sit to talk. That National Conference was just a hoax. The real people that should be speaking haven't spoken.

The real stakeholders haven't been represented.

The complete Nation must come to a halt, fixed then started again and this time headed for glory.

I'm afraid Nigeria as she stands today is heading for disaster.

And what about the millions of northern christians who dont understand arabic lang.

It seems you are not aware that the north isnt exclusively an all-muslims enclave. I wonder what benefit(s) the arabic inscriptions possess to the average masses. Its just one of the numerous tools the northern oligarchs use to influence the mindset of the masses in their communities.

1 Like

Re: Hausa Ajami/Arabic Inscriptions Removed From New N100 Note by sweetgala(m): 8:10pm On Nov 17, 2014
resty4:

http://www.naij.com/325302-n100-note-no-hausa-ajami.html

Correction , The Queen's English is universal in Nigeria. How well it was accepted is unique in different parts of Nigeria.
The Ajami inscription should be returned as it represents some form of identity for some 80 million or more Nigerians
Re: Hausa Ajami/Arabic Inscriptions Removed From New N100 Note by bleufaucon: 8:10pm On Nov 17, 2014
Well the numerical figure of 100 is still arabic,so the federal government is very much in order!

1 Like

Re: Hausa Ajami/Arabic Inscriptions Removed From New N100 Note by MNDY(m): 8:11pm On Nov 17, 2014
An inflammatory topic if you ask me! But wait O! How is Arabic so relevant in our world? Perhaps because the middle east where it belongs, holds one-third of the world's oil (economic trunk card)
----------------
Na so dem force Arabic as a core course to be studied 4 our head 4 my History & Int'l Studies department 4 Kogi State University Anyigba here with no alternative international language!
----------------
I wonder how international Arabic is than French when Arabic tilts towards the Middle East only (where I believe French is too)
Re: Hausa Ajami/Arabic Inscriptions Removed From New N100 Note by ceeceeco: 8:12pm On Nov 17, 2014
PheeeDeeePheee(Phephul Deceibin Phephul since 1960)...Una well done o!
Re: Hausa Ajami/Arabic Inscriptions Removed From New N100 Note by Nobody: 8:14pm On Nov 17, 2014
MissMeiya:

This is a well-reasoned argument. Thank you.
Thanks for the compliment. I can see you expunged the part you were not comfortable with. I understand your feelings, but the truth is that the expunged lines are equally apt and correct.
Re: Hausa Ajami/Arabic Inscriptions Removed From New N100 Note by maclatunji: 8:15pm On Nov 17, 2014
dtruthis:
so do we go to school in Nigeria to learn English. or Arabic. most of Yoruba n igbo old men n women don't know English yet the make use of naira this is northern problem they can't learn they want everything as usual this is twenty first century grow up northern pls grow up this is hw u people jst dey drag dis country bck for thirty eight yrs now

We in the south read Latin scripts, so your Yoruba or Igbo is Latin script. Those in the North predominantly know Arabic script. Pre-Independence currency below. People here trying to be more English than the English. It is just out of hatred and fear. It won't get them far.

1 Like

Re: Hausa Ajami/Arabic Inscriptions Removed From New N100 Note by BetaThings: 8:16pm On Nov 17, 2014
IDEApro:
My grandma that has no formal education is using the naira in the village conveniently. They should expunged that Arabic nonsense from our monetary denominations.
How does your grandma recognise those notes

IDEApro:
Its a huge joke on secular Nigeria and a slap on the sensibility of the Christians that make use of this currencies.
Your understanding of secularism is that every trace of Islam should we wiped out
And traditions based on Christianity expanded
How many Muslim presidents turn their pilgrimage to matters that NTA must beam to us daily?

IDEApro:

Very soon, I mean very soon, everything will be done on merit and not quota system or federal character
So Jonathan is the brightest mind from the South South
He is there strictly on merit?
Did you remember thet Deziani has been Minister since 2007 and we know in her first job as Works Minister, she wept at Benin-Ore Raod
What happened? Failure
Is that merit?

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (23) (Reply)

Football Betting: Season 2 / Start Your Own Boxers Business With N5, 000 / Travel Box Given As Souvenirs At Fatima Dangote & Jamil Abubakar's Wedding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.