Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,150 members, 7,818,460 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:18 PM

Men Don't Think African Culture Is The Best. They Like It Because It Favors Them - Culture (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Men Don't Think African Culture Is The Best. They Like It Because It Favors Them (18521 Views)

Poll: Do You Think The Title Is Right?

No. I think they sincerely love our culture, irrespective of their personal gain.: 53% (35 votes)
Yes.: 46% (30 votes)
This poll has ended

Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced (Photos) / African Culture Is Dying! / Do You Think African Models Should Create Their Own Standards? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Men Don't Think African Culture Is The Best. They Like It Because It Favors Them by SisiJinx: 7:57pm On Jan 02, 2009
*Hauwa*:

Jinx and Michelin89 OP, happy New year fa.

Barka da sabunta Shekera, yaya na. grin

How was your celebration?
Re: Men Don't Think African Culture Is The Best. They Like It Because It Favors Them by na2day2(m): 8:32pm On Jan 02, 2009
Sisi Jinx:

The label is so thoroughly worn out, I can't read anything on it. . . lipsrsealed

na lie, that product was just recently put on the shelf and i can testify to that, brand u from the factory angry angry angry angry
Re: Men Don't Think African Culture Is The Best. They Like It Because It Favors Them by SisiJinx: 8:41pm On Jan 02, 2009
na2day?:

na lie, that product was just recently put on the shelf and i can testify to that, brand u from the factory angry angry angry angry

Aaaah! Factory, eh? Hmmm, guess that's what they call recycle bin these days. cheesy cheesy
Re: Men Don't Think African Culture Is The Best. They Like It Because It Favors Them by na2day2(m): 8:55pm On Jan 02, 2009
once again u are wrong dear, recycle bin is what u find on ur computer grin grin grin grin

Sisi Jinx:

Aaaah! Factory, eh? Hmmm, guess that's what they call recycle bin these days. cheesy cheesy
Re: Men Don't Think African Culture Is The Best. They Like It Because It Favors Them by okooyinbo(m): 1:32pm On Jan 03, 2009
debosky (m)

« #21 on: 10 December 2008, 15:27:31 »

Yeah right.  Tongue

What about the confused women? One second they are all 'independent women' - I want to do my thing, don't 'control' me, I can't 'submit' to any man, blah blah blah.

The next minute, a man takes them on a date and doesn't want to pay - what do you hear? 'These yeye men sef! They want to copy oyibo culture. In naija I NEVER paid for a drink in my whole life.'  Tongue

I'm not sure what this nebulous 'African culture' is, but it means different things to different people. People will always 'defend' their culture - Arabs say don't copy western ways. The French say wearing hijabs is polluting or affecting French values and culture. Americans say Obama bringing a welfare system is polluting their capitalist culture with European nonsense. Nigerians complain makossa music is polluting their own musical heritage, Ghanaians say naija movies are making their people patronize more herbalists. . . . the list is endless.

People will always seek to 'defend' something they identify with - it is an instinctive response above anything else, often not based on some rational measurement of the benefits or demerits of the cultural aspect in question, simply because 'that's the way I've always known it to be'.

That is why WOMEN are often the greatest proponents and practitioners of genital mutilation, despite the fact that it hurts them the most.

A very intelligent observation! Anyway, selective usage of culture is common place all over the world. And besides, globally, it is actually the females that are custodian of culture and not the male as one would like to think. Now, if female Africans begins to advocate the jettisoning of our cultures; then i am afraid the future of Africa is very gloomy!

That said: The western culture that "some" people would like to whole heartedly import, is itself not free of faults. Actually, there is nothing wrong in learning from other cultures as the Yoruba people knew a long time ago (Awon agbalagba ni: ogbon ologbon kii je a pe agba ni were). The optimal way would therefore be to imbibe the good things of other peoples culture into the local culture like the Japanese successfully did and as many Asians are doing. Christianity and Islam was preached in China, Japan etc. However, you'll never find that these people try to be more Christians than the oyinbos. They are actually not so xtianised nor islamised and they are advance countries in term of economic and cultural development. Even the elightened Westerners that have become disillusioned by the purported foundation of their culture are turning to "Eastern Philosophy and Religion". Now, the Africans tale is different! The Africans would love to think that he / she is more christian than the Oyinbos. Yet, Africa remain the most backward continent despite having churches and mosques in every nooks and crannies and the deafening prayers and isojis year in year out. A phenomenal about Africans taking other peoples culture is the wrong usage they put it. We call that in Yoruba (òlàjú òdì). They use it to oppresse and to marginalise others that do not share their views, which explain why we have not been able to achieve any meaningful development inspite of our rich endowment.

My advice therefore is, please preserve our cultures and make neccessary adjustment where due. Don't just import other peoples culture. If we want to import foreign cultures, we should stop buying into them blindly. That's to say, we should try to refine the good things in the foreign cultures and blend it with our indegenous ones for OUR common developments.

It is a fallacy to believe that the men are the custodians of our culture. You WOMEN are! So therefore, please WOMEN don't stop being custodian of OUR culture! E má gbàgbé wípé: Odò kìí sàn kí ò gbàgbé orísun rè, odò tí ó bá sàn gbàgbé orísun rè, gbígbe ni a gbe.

E kú odún, e kú ìyèdún o!
Re: Men Don't Think African Culture Is The Best. They Like It Because It Favors Them by SisiJinx: 7:32pm On Jan 03, 2009
na2day?:

once again u are wrong dear, recycle bin is what u find on ur computer grin grin grin grin

I see denial is not just a river in Egypt!! cheesy cheesy
Re: Men Don't Think African Culture Is The Best. They Like It Because It Favors Them by SisiJinx: 7:46pm On Jan 03, 2009
okooyinbo:

A very intelligent observation! Anyway, selective usage of culture is common place all over the world. And besides, globally, it is actually the females that are custodian of culture and not the male as one would like to think. Now, if female Africans begins to advocate the jettisoning of our cultures; then i am afraid the future of Africa is very gloomy!

That said: The western culture that "some" people would like to whole heartedly import, is itself not free of faults. Actually, there is nothing wrong in learning from other cultures as the Yoruba people knew a long time ago (Awon agbalagba ni: ogbon ologbon kii je a pe agba ni were). The optimal way would therefore be to imbibe the good things of other peoples culture into the local culture like the Japanese successfully did and as many Asians are doing. Christianity and Islam was preached in China, Japan etc. However, you'll never find that these people try to be more Christians than the oyinbos. They are actually not so xtianised nor islamised and they are advance countries in term of economic and cultural development. Even the elightened Westerners that have become disillusioned by the purported foundation of their culture are turning to "Eastern Philosophy and Religion". Now, the Africans tale is different! The Africans would love to think that he / she is more christian than the Oyinbos. Yet, Africa remain the most backward continent despite having churches and mosques in every nooks and crannies and the deafening prayers and isojis year in year out. A phenomenal about Africans taking other peoples culture is the wrong usage they put it. We call that in Yoruba (òlàjú òdì). They use it to oppresse and to marginalise others that do not share their views, which explain why we have not been able to achieve any meaningful development inspite of our rich endowment.

[b]My advice therefore is, please preserve our cultures and make neccessary adjustment where due. Don't just import other peoples culture. If we want to import foreign cultures, we should stop buying into them blindly. That's to say, we should try to refine the good things in the foreign cultures and blend it with our indegenous ones for OUR common developments.

It is a fallacy to believe that the men are the custodians of our culture. You WOMEN are! So therefore, please WOMEN don't stop being custodian of OUR culture! E má gbàgbé wípé: Odò kìí sàn kí ò gbàgbé orísun rè, odò tí ó bá sàn gbàgbé orísun rè, gbígbe ni a gbe.

Hopefully, some of your African brothers who are stilled imbibed in their cavemen mentality who would rather a woman be seen and not heard, will take this advice to heart.

The fact that a woman does not want to be barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen does not make a less of an African woman!

The fact that a woman think she deserves the same kinda of respect awarded to her male counterpart does not mean she's lost her way.
Re: Men Don't Think African Culture Is The Best. They Like It Because It Favors Them by SisiJinx: 7:48pm On Jan 03, 2009
E kú odún, e kú ìyèdún o!

Ati eyin naa ooh!
Re: Men Don't Think African Culture Is The Best. They Like It Because It Favors Them by na2day2(m): 10:41pm On Jan 03, 2009
Sisi Jinx:

I see denial is not just a river in Egypt!! cheesy cheesy

ever heard of the term "global village"? tongue tongue tongue

Sisi Jinx:

Hopefully, some of your African brothers who are stilled imbibed in their cavemen mentality who would rather a woman be seen and not heard, will take this advice to heart.

The fact that a woman does not want to be barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen does not make a less of an African woman!

The fact that a woman think she deserves the same kind of of respect awarded to her male counterpart does not mean she's lost her way.

why am i not surprised that u missed the part where it says women are the custodian of culture, which implies that most things that happen to women in the name of culture or "how society works" are mainly transferred by women from one generation to another. what am i saying, since when will a modern day nigeria girl take responsibility, like never sad sad sad
Re: Men Don't Think African Culture Is The Best. They Like It Because It Favors Them by SisiJinx: 12:27am On Jan 04, 2009
Hehehehe. . . . I guess I've been infected with the global denial going on here.

Drats! I blame you! angry

If we are truly the custodian of the culture, we won't be having this discussion, now would we?
Re: Men Don't Think African Culture Is The Best. They Like It Because It Favors Them by na2day2(m): 1:11am On Jan 04, 2009
Sisi Jinx:

Hehehehe. . . . I guess I've been infected with the global denial going on here.

Drats! I blame you! angry

If we are truly the custodian of the culture, we won't be having this discussion, now would we?

how very convenient, blame the black guy, it wont be the first too angry angry angry angry
Re: Men Don't Think African Culture Is The Best. They Like It Because It Favors Them by SisiJinx: 3:22pm On Jan 04, 2009
na2day?:

how very convenient, blame the black guy, it wont be the first too  angry angry angry angry

Awww, I hurt your liwwle feewings? I sowwy

Now give us a smile! Awww, soooo cute!!

Jeez, men. . . so sensitive.

Must be that time of the month.   tongue

You didn't answer. . . if women are the true custodian of our culture, would we be having this discussion? Hmmm?
Re: Men Don't Think African Culture Is The Best. They Like It Because It Favors Them by na2day2(m): 7:00pm On Jan 04, 2009
Sisi Jinx:

Awww, I hurt your liwwle feewings? I sowwy

Now give us a smile! Awww, soooo cute!!

Jeez, men. . . so sensitive.

Must be that time of the month.   tongue

You didn't answer. . . if women are the true custodian of our culture, would we be having this discussion? Hmmm?

bcuz they are thats why we are having this discussion. when a woman's husband dies in the old igboland, who are the first to insist that the wife drinks the water used to wash the corpse? u don't know? i will tell u, the other women that are inlaws or friends of the husband's family. there are many more from where that came from  tongue tongue tongue

[size=4pt]by the way, thanks for the pet on the head, it felt good[/size] wink wink wink
Re: Men Don't Think African Culture Is The Best. They Like It Because It Favors Them by londoner: 6:44pm On Jan 05, 2009
I have to agree with the original poster, African men  tend to champion their culture because it usually serves their interests and/or encourages women to view a mans happiness/interest as paramount, even to the detriment of herself or fellow women.

Its human, thats what humans do, hold on to every once of power/influence they can and talk the oppressed into upholding  it too.

You see similarities in the mentality of most  systematically oppressed people in fact.
Re: Men Don't Think African Culture Is The Best. They Like It Because It Favors Them by SisiJinx: 3:57am On Jan 07, 2009
na2day?:

bcuz they are thats why we are having this discussion. when a woman's husband dies in the old igboland, who are the first to insist that the wife drinks the water used to wash the corpse? u don't know? i will tell u, the other women that are inlaws or friends of the husband's family. there are many more from where that came from  tongue tongue tongue

Just because the women execute these dastardly deeds does not mean they are truly in charge. Pray tell what you think would happen if the decide not to do it? The men get all up in arms about it of course, ranting and raving about how the women are trying to do away with the culture because of enlightenment.

Another thing, why is it the woman who has to drink the bath water of her dead husband's corpse? Hmmm [img]http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/23.gif

Ya getting the picture now?

[size=4pt]by the way, thanks for the pet on the head, it felt good[/size] wink wink wink

[size=4pt]Rotflmao! Okay far be it of me to deprive you of pets on the head, so here's another and another , oh I'll just go ahead and bury you in 'em .

Happy. . . Pappi? grin[/size]
Re: Men Don't Think African Culture Is The Best. They Like It Because It Favors Them by na2day2(m): 5:41am On Jan 07, 2009
Sisi Jinx:

[size=4pt]Rotflmao! Okay far be it of me to deprive you of pets on the head, so here's another and another , oh I'll just go ahead and bury you in 'em .

Happy. . . Pappi? grin[/size]

God forbid i deny u ur right to transfer violence to the next generation in the name of culture    lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed notice how it was solely a female thing [size=4pt]****nothing do u oooo****[/size]
Re: Men Don't Think African Culture Is The Best. They Like It Because It Favors Them by na2day2(m): 5:44am On Jan 07, 2009
Sisi Jinx:

Another thing, why is it the woman who has to drink the bath water of her dead husband's corpse? Hmmm [img]http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/23.gif

Ya getting the picture now?

ask ur fellow women. why is it that it has to be the man to die for this tradition to take place?
Re: Men Don't Think African Culture Is The Best. They Like It Because It Favors Them by SisiJinx: 5:55am On Jan 07, 2009
na2day?:

God forbid i deny u ur right to transfer violence to the next generation in the name of culture    lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed notice how it was solely a female thing [size=4pt]****nothing do u oooo****[/size]

[size=4pt]Nothing do me before now, no thanks to you naija men and your yeye stickler for stupid culture[/size]

na2day?:

ask ur fellow women. why is it that it has to be the man to die for this tradition to take place? 

Ayiiiiin?

Abeg, if the men don't die, whose corpse water will the women be force to drink?

My Point is - Why don't men drink the bath water of their dead wives??!!  Why??!

If they did, I bet the tradition will be long gone by now!!

It makes them feel important to have women subjected to this depravity just for their sake and they feel even more so because they have gotten other women to do the execution.

Unfortunately, they fail to see that all these things they do to make themselves feel important only shows how insecure they are.  cry cry
Re: Men Don't Think African Culture Is The Best. They Like It Because It Favors Them by na2day2(m): 6:21am On Jan 07, 2009
men dont force men to do nothing, women force women to do stuff. why is it common practice to find that most feud in families are from mother-inlaws to their sons wives. and the attack she will receive the most will come from his sisters and aunts like they will never marry themselves. abeg u cant win this one oooo

Sisi Jinx:

[size=4pt]Nothing do me before now, no thanks to you naija men and your yeye stickler for stupid culture[/size]

Ayiiiiin?

Abeg, if the men don't die, whose corpse water will the women be force to drink?

My Point is - Why don't men drink the bath water of their dead wives??!!  Why??!

If they did, I bet the tradition will be long gone by now!!

It makes them feel important to have women subjected to this depravity just for their sake and they feel even more so because they have gotten other women to do the execution.

Unfortunately, they fail to see that all these things they do to make themselves feel important only shows how insecure they are.  cry cry
Re: Men Don't Think African Culture Is The Best. They Like It Because It Favors Them by SisiJinx: 6:38am On Jan 07, 2009
na2day?:

men don't force men to do nothing, women force women to do stuff. why is it common practice to find that most feud in families are from mother-inlaws to their sons wives. and the attack she will receive the most will come from his sisters and aunts like they will never marry themselves. abeg u can't win this one oooo

Okay, I'll give you that but it isn't culture, it's just petty jealousy!!

I am so winning this. . . how can you doubt that??!! cheesy
Re: Men Don't Think African Culture Is The Best. They Like It Because It Favors Them by na2day2(m): 7:32am On Jan 07, 2009
thats ur pathetic excuse? jealousy? wow! i surely haven't heard it all then undecided undecided undecided undecided

Sisi Jinx:

Okay, I'll give you that but it isn't culture, it's just petty jealousy!!

I am so winning this. . . how can you doubt that??!! cheesy
Re: Men Don't Think African Culture Is The Best. They Like It Because It Favors Them by SisiJinx: 7:38am On Jan 07, 2009
na2day?:

thats ur pathetic excuse? jealousy? wow! i surely haven't heard it all then undecided undecided undecided undecided

Re: Men Don't Think African Culture Is The Best. They Like It Because It Favors Them by na2day2(m): 8:25am On Jan 07, 2009
Miracle ooooo, for once she is speechless, i am so proud of my achievement cool cool cool cool on behave of all men, we accept ur surrender tongue tongue

Sisi Jinx:

Re: Men Don't Think African Culture Is The Best. They Like It Because It Favors Them by CrudeOil2(m): 10:32am On Jan 07, 2009
NO such thing as african culture.
Re: Men Don't Think African Culture Is The Best. They Like It Because It Favors Them by SisiJinx: 6:50pm On Jan 07, 2009
Rotflmao! So that's how you work, eh? Claiming you left a girl speechless by confusing her with triple and off speak. I got your number, Mr. Man. . . I got your number. (8

Let me reteriate my point - Mother in laws fighting with their daughter in laws is not tradition/Culture. It's an individual thing.

Women being forced to drink their dead husband's bath water for assurance is part of the culture that caters to the men's egos.

Ka gani?
Re: Men Don't Think African Culture Is The Best. They Like It Because It Favors Them by na2day2(m): 7:34pm On Jan 07, 2009
Sisi Jinx:

Rotflmao! So that's how you work, eh? Claiming you left a girl speechless by confusing her with triple and off speak. I got your number, Mr. Man. . .  I got your number. (8

i see u r back for round 2; i must say that was a quick recovery but i am not sure u have my number, just to be sure, write it down, zero zero zero, nine nut nine, four one nine  tongue tongue tongue

Let me reteriate my point - Mother in laws fighting with their daughter in laws is not tradition/Culture. It's an individual thing.

Women being forced to drink their dead husband's bath water for assurance is part of the culture that caters to the men's egos.

Ka gani?

i see u pick and choose ur battles, one smart move my friend except that it is still the same field  grin grin grin
Re: Men Don't Think African Culture Is The Best. They Like It Because It Favors Them by Hauwa1: 7:48pm On Jan 07, 2009
sisi da na2day, menene ina faru? this total comm between ku biu is lipsrsealed aure ne? wink
Re: Men Don't Think African Culture Is The Best. They Like It Because It Favors Them by na2day2(m): 8:50pm On Jan 07, 2009
*Hauwa*:

sisi  da na2day, menene ina faru? this total comm between ku biu is  lipsrsealed aure ne? wink

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin ay  cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool [size=4pt]i get right to have up to 4 wives na, there is room for u too hauwa[/size]
Re: Men Don't Think African Culture Is The Best. They Like It Because It Favors Them by SisiJinx: 9:45pm On Jan 07, 2009
The same field? How do you want it??! shocked They are not even the same game!!

See, this is why guys will never understand. I mean how can you compare the two?

Honestly!! angry
Re: Men Don't Think African Culture Is The Best. They Like It Because It Favors Them by SisiJinx: 10:06pm On Jan 07, 2009
Hauwa, kin san abin ban sani ba. . . Na2day ya na da Kudi? Ah, to muyi aure gobe! A'a. . . . mu yi aure yanzu yanzu!

Lmao! cheesy

Nah, Ina son bude idon shi.

@ na2day
Mata nawa ka na da, yanzu?
Re: Men Don't Think African Culture Is The Best. They Like It Because It Favors Them by na2day2(m): 11:55pm On Jan 07, 2009
Sisi Jinx:

The same field? How do you want it??! shocked They are not even the same game!!

See, this is why guys will never understand. I mean how can you compare the two?

Honestly!! angry

we have a right to remain ignorant to whatever ur point is, anything we say could and would be used against us in the period of marriage tongue
Re: Men Don't Think African Culture Is The Best. They Like It Because It Favors Them by na2day2(m): 11:57pm On Jan 07, 2009
Sisi Jinx:

Hauwa, kin san abin ban sani ba. . . Na2day ya na da Kudi? Ah, to muyi aure gobe! A'a. . . . mu yi aure yanzu yanzu!

Lmao! cheesy

Nah, Ina son bude idon shi.

@ na2day
Mata nawa ka na da, yanzu?

i suddenly forgot all the small hausa i knew embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed i wonder why lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Lightskin Igbos Aren't A New Concept For Igbo People (our Ancestors Had Them) / Igwe Of Nnewi Colourful Ofala Festival: Pictures & Video / On My Coronation Day ,I Wept And I Thought I Was Going To Die , Says Olubadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.