Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,889 members, 7,810,423 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:43 AM

Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! - Fashion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! (73984 Views)

Lady Wears A Bum Short To Young-Shall-Grow Park Onitsha (pic) / How Can One Grow Facial Hair Rapidly? / Top Black Hair Salons In London? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by bluespice(f): 1:56pm On Apr 10, 2010
Ejadamen:

cry cry I was all set to transition,then people around me started hollering. Maybe one day I'll be brave enough to transition or BC my hair. So now I'm focused on pampering my hair and relaxing just 4 times a year. I saw a lady on hairlista with mid back length relaxed hair shocked I shall get there.

is it not your hair?
why do people have to chat sh[i]i[/i]t about someone else's hair?
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by Nobody: 3:15am On Apr 11, 2010
oyinda.:

jellybean,
what kind of braids do you get? extension braids? or with your natural hair?
how long do you keep it on and how do you moisturize your hair with the braids?
do you get split ends?

I get regular individual braids with extension. I leave my braids for 2 months before taking it out.I don't have any split end and I wash it every 2 to 3 weeks. I moisturize with olive hair lotion, once every week.
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by Nobody: 3:18am On Apr 11, 2010
shilling:

Oh my gosh, your hair is AMAZING. More info on your hair routine please. I use a relaxer on my hair about twice a year, and it's still very thick and black, but not as gorgeous as yours though.

Thanks babe! I haven't used relaxer on mine for the past 2years so that helps alot. I normally braid and renew it every 2months and i wash my braids every 2-3weeks. I do moisturize it every once a week and treat it like my hair. If you keep relaxing, it makes the hair weak which leads to hair falling off when braided constantly. My hair is ridiculously thick and no breakage much.
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by oyinda3(f): 3:28am On Apr 11, 2010
^ don't your extension braids become messy after washing? how do you keep it from being messy?
and you moisturize the extension braids right?

can you post a pic of ur hair in extension braids plz?
when i get extensions, i have so many splits when i take them out cry
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by Sissy3(f): 4:08am On Apr 11, 2010
@ jellybean

do you ever plan to relaxer you hair ever again? or are you forever natural?

i know some folks, who go without relaxer for years braiding and doing all those things just so their hair will grow and be longer when they finally relax it
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by chiogo(f): 4:46am On Apr 11, 2010
jellybean:

I get regular individual braids with extension. I leave my braids for 2 months before taking it out.I don't have any split end and I wash it every 2 to 3 weeks. I moisturize with olive hair lotion, once every week.
Hmm, interesting. I dunno if I could ever go that long without relaxing my hair though. embarassed
So, how many times do you braid in a year? Do you braid immediately after taking out old braids? Or do you go with your hair for some time?

I rarely wear braids, got one almost a year ago so I basically wear my hair all the time, I always feel the need to relax and straighten or it'll get really hard to manage.
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by bluespice(f): 5:07am On Apr 11, 2010
chiogo:

Hmm, interesting. I dunno if I could ever go that long without relaxing my hair though. embarassed
So, how many times do you braid in a year? Do you braid immediately after taking out old braids? Or do you go with your hair for some time?

I rarely wear braids, got one almost a year ago so I basically wear my hair all the time, I always feel the need to relax and straighten or it'll get really hard to manage.
there are so many things you could do to your hair that don't involve braids
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by chiogo(f): 5:15am On Apr 11, 2010
bluespice:

there are so many things you could do to your hair that don't involve braids
Like what? I'm talking about something that doesn't also involve relaxers 'cause I feel like I relax too much since I'm always wearing my hair.
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by Nobody: 8:11pm On Apr 11, 2010
oyinda.:

^ don't your extension braids become messy after washing? how do you keep it from being messy?
and you moisturize the extension braids right?
can you post a pic of your hair in extension braids plz?
when i get extensions, i have so many splits when i take them out cry

My extension braids don't get messy, your hair might stand out as always so you just trim it off with scissors.
Here is a picture of my braid(2months old) and it's been washed regularly.
I don't get much of a split end honestly, i did when i use to relax my hair but not anymore.
You mosturize the hair and braid. I will look for pics online for my moisturizer.
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by Nobody: 8:18pm On Apr 11, 2010
~Sissy~:

@ jellybean
do you ever plan to relaxer you hair ever again? or are you forever natural?
i know some folks, who go without relaxer for years braiding and doing all those things just so their hair will grow and be longer when they finally relax it

I might relax it eventually but not 100% sure especially when there is straightner around the corner, i might only if i don't want my hair so damn full and natural.
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by Nobody: 8:24pm On Apr 11, 2010
chiogo:

1 Like

Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by bluespice(f): 8:28pm On Apr 11, 2010
chiogo:

Like what? I'm talking about something that doesn't also involve relaxers 'cause I feel like I relax too much since I'm always wearing my hair.
braids, weaves, cornrows. . . .

jellybean omg! your hair is gorgeous
i'm going back to braids because of u
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by Nobody: 8:29pm On Apr 11, 2010
chiogo:

Exactly! There are things you could do with your hair without braiding but it doesn't help it grow much either. It might end up breaking the hair which isn't good either. Briad to me is the fastest way to full and long hair just as long as you maintain it.  Although you can always do natural hair twisting and that won't involve relaxer but it will look like lil dreads, i would have suggested straw curls but that need relaxer as well. So it's either twisting or natural afro that you style in diff ways or weaves.
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by mukina2: 8:29pm On Apr 11, 2010
@ the second pic
my friend's hair is exactly like that.  smiley
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by Nobody: 8:30pm On Apr 11, 2010
bluespice:

jellybean omg! your hair is gorgeous
i'm going back to braids because of u

Please do, you will love it.

I can't wait to see the length of my hair now once i take my braids off. grin grin
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by bluespice(f): 8:34pm On Apr 11, 2010
jellybean:

Please do, you will love it.

I can't wait to see the length of my hair now once i take my braids off. grin grin
ugh finna do this prolly next week
i know how well braids helped me grow my hair out
i really should do that for the next year or somn
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by chiogo(f): 8:55pm On Apr 11, 2010
jellybean:

First off, i use to hate braiding alot and i was that chick that relax her hair every month but after my last hair disaster in 2007, i decided to grow out the damn hair from scratch. after the disaster my hair was pretty much like road to lagos with diff bumper at each corner grin
I rebraid 3 days after taking out the initial one. It's not a fun process growing hair all natural cos i have thick hair and it hurts when being blowdryed in other to braid it but the moisturizer helps alot.
You can do it if you motivate yourself and you will be encouraged when you start seeing the beautiful result. i braid about 4 to 5 times a year it depends. These are the pictures i have of my various stages. The first one is after 1year of braiding and the second one is the 2nd year of braiding so you see how it grows.
Wow!! Ok, that makes it easier for a natural hair since you only wait 3 days before getting new braids. I rarely even have time to get braids not to mention back-to-back braids. I'll try braiding more and washing it like you said. I use ORS lotion too for my hair. I doubt I'll go natural though. Whoo!! Kudos to those bold enough.  cheesy

I used to relax every month too. . .Now I relax every 6-8 weeks, sometimes longer.

bluespice:

Can't remember the last time I got cornrows, I was probably 12  grin It's like boys have taken over. Can't even imagine wearing that again, it's too plain.
I don't like weaves. So yea, still boils down to either braids or perms.  sad
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by bluespice(f): 8:59pm On Apr 11, 2010
chiogo:

I used to relax every month too. . .Now I relax every 6-8 weeks, sometimes longer.
Can't remember the last time I got cornrows, I was probably 12  grin It's like boys have taken over. Can't even imagine wearing that again, it's too plain.
I don't like weaves. So yea, still boils down to either braids or perms.  sad
you can get cornrows with extensions - (Ghana weaving), n i can assure you they wont look plain.
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by chiogo(f): 9:04pm On Apr 11, 2010
bluespice:

you can get cornrows with extensions - (Ghana weaving), n i can assure you they wont look plain.
Oh yea, those look good. 
I forgot all about that. Thanks! wink
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by bluespice(f): 9:06pm On Apr 11, 2010
chiogo:

Oh yea, those look good. 
I forgot all about that. Thanks! wink
You're welcome smiley
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by oyinda3(f): 11:22pm On Apr 11, 2010
jellybean:

My extension braids don't get messy, your hair might stand out as always so you just trim it off with scissors.
I don't get much of a split end honestly, i did when i use to relax my hair but not anymore.
You mosturize the hair and braid. I will look for pics online for my moisturizer.

so how do you wash your extension braids? do you pour shampoo over it and scrub your scalp?
mine gets messy after washing
also, do you wear a scarf to tie it down to sleep?

your braids are neat and ur hair is very long. i'm reallyyyy impressed
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by Nobody: 1:13am On Apr 12, 2010
oyinda.:

so how do you wash your extension braids? do you pour shampoo over it and scrub your scalp?
mine gets messy after washing
also, do you wear a scarf to tie it down to sleep?
your braids are neat and your hair is very long. i'm reallyyyy impressed

Thanks, I don't wear a scarf when going to bed, i just weave it in a pony tail way. I use shampoo and sometimes conditional, you scrub the scalp but gently and massage the braid, just like when you wash and dry your natural hair. I treat it like it's my hair. After washing you might have lil hair sticking out so you just trim it off with scissors.
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by madlady(f): 1:19am On Apr 12, 2010
jellybean:

Thanks, I don't wear a scarf when going to bed, i just weave it in a pony tail way. I use shampoo and sometimes conditional, you scrub the scalp but gently and massage the braid, just like when you wash and dry your natural hair. I treat it like it's my hair. After washing you might have lil hair sticking out so you just trim it off with scissors.

@jellybean. That's very interesting, I've just added human bulk hair to my mother's micro braids. Can that be washed ?

ps, I sent u mail on ebay about 2 weeks ago, are you still selling on that site.
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by oyinda3(f): 3:21am On Apr 12, 2010
jellybean:

that actually makes a lot of sense to use a scissors. what brand do you use? i heard that some scissors give ppl split ends.
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by madlady(f): 7:41am On Apr 12, 2010
oyinda.:

that actually makes a lot of sense to use a scissors. what brand do you use? i heard that some scissors give ppl split ends.

Gosh, so scissors can cause split ends.

I shall follow this thread closely.

Thank you for asking this question.
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by Nobody: 9:27am On Apr 12, 2010
madlady:

@jellybean. That's very interesting, I've just added human bulk hair to my mother's micro braids. Can that be washed ?
ps, I sent u mail on ebay about 2 weeks ago, are you still selling on that site.

I have not tried human hair but i had a friend who washed her own and it got tangled BUT that was because she did pick and drop.

It should not be a problem if it's micro braids.

I'm not on that site anymore, i replied on the other thread.
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by Nobody: 9:29am On Apr 12, 2010
oyinda.:

I use expression and african hair synthethic or something like that. Scissors giving split ends! Nah,except they mistakenly cut their hair when trimming.
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by madlady(f): 9:38am On Apr 12, 2010
jellybean:

I use expression and african hair synthethic or something like that. Scissors giving split ends! Nah,except they mistakenly cut their hair when trimming.

Right, that's very helpful.

jellybean:

I have not tried human hair but i had a friend who washed her own and it got tangled BUT that was because she did pick and drop.

It should not be a problem if it's micro braids.

I'm not on that site anymore, i replied on the other thread.

What does pick and drop mean?

My mother's hair is very strong but not thick, so I decided to add some bulk to the micro braids, I may tell her not to wash it.

Thank you, very helpful replies. smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by oyinda3(f): 10:30am On Apr 12, 2010
jellybean:

so u use regular scissors? one u use to cut paper, cloth etc and u don't get split ends from it?
wow, your hair is something else then. my own hair is too weak i guess.
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by Caramelx: 10:52am On Apr 12, 2010
Hi guys

I'm new to the forum. Have any of you tried Mega-Tek? That stuff really works.

http://www.vexinthecity.com/2010/03/mega-tek-challenge-2-months-on.html
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by Ejadamen(f): 10:54am On Apr 12, 2010
bluespice:

is it not your hair?
why do people have to chat sh[i]i[/i]t about someone else's hair?

You would not believe things people can say
jellybean:

Jellybean,did you redo the braids at the edges of your hair within that 2 months? Didn't the braids drag on your hair? I'm considering braiding and leaving it on for that length of time while washing, conditioning and moisturising but I swim like 3 times a week and I wonder if that will be possible.
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by Nobody: 11:10pm On Apr 12, 2010
oyinda.:

so u use regular scissors? one u use to cut paper, cloth etc and u don't get split ends from it?
wow, your hair is something else then. my own hair is too weak i guess.

I use regular BIG scissors. I don't get split ends with it. After washing, i towel my hair and trim the lil annoying ones that tend to stick out all over and then oil it up and do big twisting till it dry out.

Hun, my hair was very weak and no kidding,relaxer damaged the living hell outta my hair. When Natural, the hair is very thick and strong and that helps alot.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Lady Wears 2 Different Shoes To A Shopping Mall (Photo) / Sere Wins Ugliest Man In Zimbabwe 2015 Beauty Pageant Show (PICS) / The Haircut I Ordered Vs The Haircut I Got (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.