Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,653 members, 7,820,267 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:21 PM

Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures - Agriculture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures (214858 Views)

Aregbesola Interacts With Farmers In Their Cocoa Plantation (pics) / Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* / Approximately How Much Would Start Plantain Plantation Of 1hectare (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by world1(m): 4:43pm On Jan 25, 2015
silkyhair:

ta
Thanks for your response boss, I was actually advised to do 300 per acre..Thanks for the information, would do my research more ..I am a beginner and dont wanna make too much mistake or error.
The person that told you 300 is entitled to his own opinion, he/she is talking about a research pilot field where you have 50 plantain on a plot but that does not apply to us here in Nigeria or Africa.

Of course you need to do research but do more offline than online.
Do like 30% online and 70% of visiting plantain plantations around you.
Don't deal with any agric consultant that doesn't have tangible or visible results.

We have some Internet agric consultant among of us on this Agric section claiming all sort of wrong achievements and bogus result culled from different pages on the Internet. It's so unfortunate.

1 Like

Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by world1(m): 5:07pm On Jan 25, 2015
I get this question daily.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PLANTAIN AND BANANA?

Plantains have no biological distinction from bananas, though their taxonomy differs. The generally accepted differences between the two are their sweetness and preparation method. Dessert bananas are sweet and consumed as-is with no preparation required. Plantains, also known as culinary bananas, are starchy and unsweet, and they generally require cooking for consumption.
Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by world1(m): 5:09pm On Jan 25, 2015
Plantain requires no pollination.
Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by world1(m): 5:12pm On Jan 25, 2015
Nutritional Value of Plantain
According to the USDA nutrient database, 100g of raw* plantain contains the following values:

116kcal
31.2g Carbohydrate
2.3g Fiber (9% RDI)
.2g Fat (neg)
.8g Protein (2% RDI)
909 IU Vitamin A (18% RDI)
10.9mg Vitamin C (18% RDI)
Thiamin (3% RDI)
.1mg Riboflavin (3% RDI)
.8mg Niacin (4% RDI)
.2mg Vitamin B6 (12% RDI)
26mcg Folate (6% RDI)
.2mg Pantothenic Acid (2% RDI)
.6mg Iron (3% RDI)
37mg Magnesium (9% RDI)
34mg Phosphoous (3% RDI)
499mg Potassium (14% RDI)
.1mg Copper (4% RDI)

1.5mcg Selenium (2% RDI)

*Cooked plantain has an almost identical nutrient profile to raw plantain, with the exception of slightly lower vitamin A and half of the vitamin C.
Other nutrients are lowered by a percent or so per serving, such as iron, magnesium and phosphorous.
Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by kart042000(m): 5:30pm On Jan 25, 2015
Lesgupnigeria:

Plantain and oilpalm cannot go together.please dont try it.
You can only intercrop with tomato,pepper,cassava,watermelon etc

Please i had love you to shed more light on this. I plan planting palm trees, but because of the time it takes "3/4 years" before it starts fruiting, i was advised to plant plantains in between the 7meters distance between each palm and after one year once the plantain fruits i cut them down.

I do know cover cropping improves the soil fertility, but does that mean the plantain at almost 3meters to the palm tree would absorb the soil nutrients?
Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:59pm On Jan 25, 2015
kart042000:

Please i had love you to shed more light on this. I plan planting palm trees, but because of the time it takes "3/4 years" before it starts fruiting, i was advised to plant plantains in between the 7meters distance between each palm and after one year once the plantain fruits i cut them down.

I do know cover cropping improves the soil fertility, but does that mean the plantain at almost 3meters to the palm tree would absorb the soil nutrients?
You can only intercrop cassava,watermelon,tomato and pepper with oil palm.

One of the reason plantain cannot be intercrop is that whenever plantain is planted,it start producing suckers which will be very difficult for you to eradicate after 1 year.
Its more advisable to.intercrop with cassava for good yield.

See my oil palm farm i intercropped with cassava and they are both doing fine.

Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by kart042000(m): 12:09am On Jan 26, 2015
Lesgupnigeria:

You can only intercrop cassava,watermelon,tomato and pepper with oil palm.

One of the reason plantain cannot be intercrop is that whenever plantain is planted,it start producing suckers which will be very difficult for you to eradicate after 1 year.
Its more advisable to.intercrop with cassava for good yield.

See my oil palm farm i intercropped with cassava and they are both doing fine.
Thanks for shedding more light, Where is your farm location please?
Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:01am On Jan 26, 2015
kart042000:

Thanks for shedding more light, Where is your farm location please?
My Farm is located in ogbomoso,oyo state.
Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by Nobody: 2:16pm On Jan 26, 2015
Prince081:
@Mercilicious, I based in Portharcourt and trying to explore the option of setting up a farm in Anambra.
Kindly suggest/advise which area or LGA where I can get cheap farmland in Anambra.
Thanks in anticipation of your response.

Guy, e no easy this side ooo. ppl here don tear eyes.
Try and consider delta state which is close to onitsha.
Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by Nobody: 2:33pm On Jan 26, 2015
world1:
The numbers can be determined by many factors
1. If you have drip irrigation you can do dense plantation of 1500 per acre.
2. If you have a livestock beside your farm or source for constant supply of manure and you can manage it then you can do high plantation of 1000 per acre.
3. Normal or say standard is 800 per acre
4. For research do 500 per acre.

on ur no 1- irrigation is not d reason for dense population but rather the fruiting. Plantain needs enough sunlight during fruiting.
Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by world1(m): 5:46pm On Jan 26, 2015
mercylicious:

on ur no 1- irrigation is not d reason for dense population but rather the fruiting. Plantain needs enough sunlight during fruiting.
Good evening Madam,
Can you please enlighten me I seem not to understand what you mean.
Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by world1(m): 6:03pm On Jan 26, 2015
kart042000:

1. Intercropping with plantain is highly possible
2. You can uproot or kill the plantains, not Cut down.
3. Plantain is an high feeder it will surely absorbed the soil nutrients so you will need to fortified the base with manure.

1 Like

Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by Kalusam(m): 6:59am On Jan 28, 2015
Where will you be on the 31st of January 2015? Its a day you don't want to miss...get practical Agribusiness training that will transform your life from an employee to employer this year. Register here: http://www.yabdi.org/ambassasor.html Venue: Abeokuta, Ogun State. Time: 11am. Payment before the event is N5,000 and N6,000 at the gate on the 31st January....this is an opportunity, you don't want to miss, tell a friend to tell a friend!
Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by world1(m): 6:02am On Feb 03, 2015
YABDI ABEOKUTA AGRIBUSINESS SUMMIT

Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by zimoni(f): 12:36pm On Feb 04, 2015
Interesting thread.
Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by joyjoomla(m): 1:18pm On Feb 04, 2015
world1:
Hello everyone,
Am an Agribusiness Consultant based in Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria.
My company is Natural Nutrient Limited.

LET'S DISCUSSED EVERYTHING ABOUT SETTING UP A PLANTAIN FARM.
What is a Plantain?
Plantains are a member of the banana family. They are a starchy, low in sugar variety that is cooked before serving as it is unsuitable raw.

Unlike starting other tree farms, starting a plantain farm and growing plantain are easier and less complicated.
Although growing plantain still requires ones attention, the level of skill required is not as intensive as other trees.
Here are a few guidelines in growing plantain and starting a plantain farm.

Step 1.
LAND PROCUREMENT
The first thing to consider in starting a plantain farm is looking for the right climate. Plantain cannot thrive in an environment that is too hot or too cold. The proposed land/soil for your plantain farm must be a well drain land that is rich and naturally fertilized but If such is not available, you can create compost and add chicken manure to your existing land.

Now that you have the land what next?

Welldone sir,

I have being following this thread and some other threads on AgroBusiness, such as threads created by Magnam (water melon) Okine4real(oil palm), Legsupnigeria, jasper and you.

Am eyeing going into plantain farming this year, which am going to interplant with vegetable and water melon in either Ondo or Ekiti State.
Here are my questions, sir

How many time will one harvest in a year?
According to what I envisage, and also which a
farmer told me, after the first harvest one will be
harvesting plantain every four months because as
the main one grows young suckers will be growing
as well with maturity/fruiting period of
approximately 4 months interval.

How will one cub d menace of monkey in plantain farm

Another thing I want to be sure of is how to control wind

How many worker (permanent) will one need to work on 10 acres of plantain plantation, and how mush do you suggest I can pay them as salary

How possible is it to get an acre of land for not more than N50,000 in either Ekiti or Ondo State

What is the rough estimate of the amount (in naira) that will successfully nurse 10acres of plantain to fruiting, including the cost of the land (N500,000 if at N50,000 per acre).

I have known some things about marketing and am still going to do more research on that, atleast b4 fruiting.

Am expecting ur comprehensive answers, sir. Thanks. God bless you, God bless farmers. God bless Nigeria. Agbe lo'ba lojokojo!
Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by world1(m): 3:10pm On Feb 04, 2015
joyjoomla:

Welldone sir,

I have being following this thread and some other threads on AgroBusiness, such as threads created by Magnam (water melon) Okine4real(oil palm), Legsupnigeria, jasper and you.

Am eyeing going into plantain farming this year, which am going to interplant with vegetable and water melon in either Ondo or Ekiti State.
Here are my questions, sir

How many time will one harvest in a year?
According to what I envisage, and also which a
farmer told me, after the first harvest one will be
harvesting plantain every four months because as
the main one grows young suckers will be growing
as well with maturity/fruiting period of
approximately 4 months interval.

How will one cub d menace of monkey in plantain farm

Another thing I want to be sure of is how to control wind

How many worker (permanent) will one need to work on 10 acres of plantain plantation, and how mush do you suggest I can pay them as salary

How possible is it to get an acre of land for not more than N50,000 in either Ekiti or Ondo State

What is the rough estimate of the amount (in naira) that will successfully nurse 10acres of plantain to fruiting, including the cost of the land (N500,000 if at N50,000 per acre).

I have known some things about marketing and am still going to do more research on that, atleast b4 fruiting.

Am expecting ur comprehensive answers, sir. Thanks. God bless you, God bless farmers. God bless Nigeria. Agbe lo'ba lojokojo!

My brother this is serious I doubt if you can till plant this year because you should be doing land clearing by now not talking about land that you haven't seen talk less of buying having said that here are the answers.

Depending on your sucker if you use Cameroon Giant Hybrid Suckers You will start harvesting by the 9th till 12th months of the first year of planting.
It's possible to harvesting 10 times in a year because your 10 acres can never be 100% uniform.

I don't know anything about land because I don't sell or lease land.

Have never witness monkey in plantain farm before but if you have such buy dogs monkey hate noise but the like making it.

You can plant moringa as wind breakers
Depending on what you want and who will do it for you but no matter how small or rough the farm is you will surely spend some millions of naira for settling up the 10 acres.

1 Like

Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by Tutuk1(m): 10:13am On Feb 09, 2015
Good morning gentle men n ladies if their is any in the house, I'm new here n find this forum interesting. I have just 1.1/2 acres of land along owode axis n I want to go into plantein farming and seriously need supervision.
Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by world1(m): 9:31pm On Feb 14, 2015
Tutuk1:
Good morning gentle men n ladies if their is any in the house, I'm new here n find this forum interesting. I have just 1.1/2 acres of land along owode axis n I want to go into plantein farming and seriously need supervision.
OK.
Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by world1(m): 12:02am On Feb 15, 2015
Land clearing at Highhill Organic Plantain Village Awowo Town Ewekoro LGA

Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by PrimeMike1: 12:07am On Feb 23, 2015
Hello World1, your achievements are notable( as per the pictures and information on the pages).
Hope your seminar of 31/Jan was fine. Is there another one around the corner?

Also, regarding your contact details, you said it's in the 'signature below'.....still can't find it, kindly write out your contact phone number and email.

Thanks
Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by world1(m): 6:45am On Feb 23, 2015
PrimeMike1:
Hello World1, your achievements are notable( as per the pictures and information on the pages).
Hope your seminar of 31/Jan was fine. Is there another one around the corner?

Also, regarding your contact details, you said it's in the 'signature below'.....still can't find it, kindly write out your contact phone number and email.

Thanks
Thank so much.
The training was superb, the turnout was massive. We will be having another training in Ibadan by march.
Donaslab@yahoo.com
Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by world1(m): 10:12am On Mar 13, 2015
Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by sedulus(m): 7:34am On Mar 17, 2015
Plantain business is one of the available business opportunities in Nigeria that is yet to be tapped in its full potential. Apart from its nutritive values, plantain remains one of the agricultural produce that has so many uses and it is widel y acceptable across the globe as food, snacks, appetizer or desserts. There are different ways one can invest in it with detailed business plan in place. Ways of investing in plantain Cultivation of plantain plantation Plantain chips production Plantain r ecipe exploration Before I dwell on the investment opportunities around plantain, let me quickly run a brief history on plantain for the sake of knowledge and people who may not know it. History of Plantain. Plantain belongs to the group of shrub in the family of Musa Paradisiacal. The physical appearance of plantain is greenish in color (the outer covering pod), it is slightly curve in length and when ripped, has dark or yellowish color with dark patches. When plantain is peeled, the inner fruit is sligh tly yellowish and can not be eaten raw except it is cooked or allowed to go through the process of ripening. It can be cooked, roasted, baked or fried depending on the mode applied for preparation and intended form to be eaten. Plantain Nutritional Value P lantain contains low saturated sugar, sodium and it is a good source of potassium, magnesium, phosphate and dietary fiber.

Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by DBounty(m): 11:42am On Mar 17, 2015
world1:

You are to much.
I will give it out to intending farmers I will also train them free of charge. I fact I will open a thread for this. Thanks so much
All intending farmers in Oyo,Osun and Kwara where are you I have free land, seeds and epertise for you.
Haba Oga! why do u always avoid EKITI? ABEG WE DEY FOLLOW U LIKE SHEEP FOLLOW REARER O! PLS INCLUDE US .SERIOUSLY I'M READY TO TOE THIS PATH IF YOU OFFER TO HELEP.
Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by world1(m): 5:27pm On Mar 17, 2015
DBounty:

Haba Oga! why do u always avoid EKITI? ABEG WE DEY FOLLOW U LIKE SHEEP FOLLOW REARER O! PLS INCLUDE US .SERIOUSLY I'M READY TO TOE THIS PATH IF YOU OFFER TO HELEP.
Hahahahaha.
Ekiti is my state so I can never avoid my ORISUN.
Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by logic7: 12:30am On Mar 19, 2015
Nice work.
Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by world1(m): 10:49pm On Mar 19, 2015
logic7:
Nice work.
Thanks
Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by world1(m): 12:55pm On Mar 24, 2015
Farm layout with drip irrigation space.

Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by Fhemmmy: 1:18pm On Mar 24, 2015
world1:
Farm layout with drip irrigation space.

I think a closer pix showing the lines very well will be a good one too . . . .
Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by world1(m): 1:38pm On Mar 24, 2015
Fhemmmy:

I think a closer pix showing the lines very well will be a good one too . . . .
;DHahahahaha
My brother please manage this one for now.
Thanks

Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by Fhemmmy: 1:41pm On Mar 24, 2015
world1:

;DHahahahaha
My brother please manage this one for now.
Thanks

Lol . .. Thanks, i am asking cos i have no idea what it looks like, that is why jare . . . .But thanks for responding.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (22) (Reply)

Updated Price Of Grains And Location. / Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* / Starting An Oil Palm Plantation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.