Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,093 members, 7,957,093 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 07:03 AM

Can You Catch Yourself Before You Fall In Love? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Can You Catch Yourself Before You Fall In Love? (4952 Views)

Ladies: Whenever You Catch Your Guy Cheating On U. Do This (PIX) / Ladies, How Would You React When You Catch Your Man Sniffing Your Panties? / Can You Fall In Love With Someone You Have Never Met?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Catch Yourself Before You Fall In Love? by topup: 3:51am On Dec 03, 2008
Is it possible to catch yourself before you fall in love?

I believe I have seen many young guys do this, where they are really starting to grow attached to a girl, but then they either get scared (out of their control), they become distant (by choice) and they do a complete 360 degrees and undo months of dedication and hard work.

I know a guy who broke up with a girlfriend who he claimed to adore, merely because he felt he didn't want to be 19 and in a serious relationship, he sincerely believes that she is THE one, but for some reason, he can't resist the temptation of the single lifestyle. He says he has missed it, the past 10 months he has been with his girlfriend, but at the same time he says it pains him not to be with her. I believe that the guy loved his girlfriend, but wasn't 'in love' with her. I believe one can be controlled and the other cannot, he took a quick detour before he arrives at the latter.

At this stage though it hurts to break, it is still emotionally possible?

What do you think? Is it possible for a guy to detect incoming 'love' and to block it so that he can do what he has to do, such as move to a different location, marry another girl to please his family, obtain freedom so he can chase his career dreams, obtain freedom so he can focus on becoming successful (without the baggage of a girlfriend he 'so dearly loves').

Or do you think that the guys never truly loved the girls, they simply were just very fond of them and just snapped out of the whole daze of pretending that the relationship would last 'til marriage?

What's the verdict?
Re: Can You Catch Yourself Before You Fall In Love? by JJYOU: 3:58am On Dec 03, 2008
always better to catch up than clean up the mess of a wrong /bad relationship. the available person is not always the best person for us.

it is always hard to do but run as much possible from a relationship that you know would seriously do you harm in the future. never to try to settle for a relationship that you know wont be a blessing to your future. dont do relationships for now.

whatever you do, please dont bing kids into relationships you are not sure of
Re: Can You Catch Yourself Before You Fall In Love? by topup: 4:06am On Dec 03, 2008
Urm. . you might just have to be a lot more specific than that, don't get me wrong, useful advice and everything, but can you answer the question?

Thanks
Re: Can You Catch Yourself Before You Fall In Love? by H2O2: 4:07am On Dec 03, 2008
This is not the reason your boyfriend left you sweetie.
Re: Can You Catch Yourself Before You Fall In Love? by JJYOU: 4:14am On Dec 03, 2008
topup:

Urm. . you might just have to be a lot more specific than that, don't get me wrong, useful advice and everything, but can you answer the question?

Thanks

our minds is our personally properties. you can control your mind if you know how to and want to for that matter. only the guy can answer that question. dont you 19yrs old is to young to ask for such level of commitment from? some people have the inner eye. they can see what others dont see easily.

if you are in the midst of people putting presures on you it would be wie to change location. people can change church, work or states to run away from people they dont want to be around. it is sometimes good.
Re: Can You Catch Yourself Before You Fall In Love? by 25more(f): 4:20am On Dec 03, 2008
i think the first one is true, they sense then block it either cox they are scared of loosing their free single lifestyle, or they want some thing else
Re: Can You Catch Yourself Before You Fall In Love? by topup: 4:24am On Dec 03, 2008
JJYOU:

our minds is our personally properties.  you can control your mind if you know how to and want to for that matter.  only the guy can answer that question.  don't you 19yrs old is to young to ask for such level of commitment from?  some people have the inner eye. they can see what others don't see easily.

if you are in the midst of people putting presures on you it would be wie to change location.  people can change church, work or states to run away from people they don't want to be around. it is sometimes good.

It didn't make sense to me, simply because the guy cried, was really upset even sick after he told his girlfriend it was over, all his homeboys are single and I am sure that the single-life is very alluring. Maybe females have different criteria to guys but I know if I found the right guy then I wouldn't want to let him go, it would be relaxing at least to be with him, and my thoughts are that his current girlfriend isn't THE one. If she is, I believe that single life will be incomparable to whatever they shared, he would surely miss her companionship. It also coincides that things are getting really serious now and he is having to consider things he never did, so it seems to me that the guy was probably not looking for something serious and isn't ready for it, which is all well and good, but don't go cry when the girl has moved on, because it would be something very upsetting, if you were so ready to be with someone and all they had in the back of their mind was an image of you being a bunny boiler and them not being able to enjoy their life. Yes, the best time to be single is when you are young, but he doesn't have to be single at all, I guess some people don't like being in a relationships, but I just think he had wandering eye syndrome, the grass always looks greener on the other side, for us singles, we can dance with whoever, kiss whoever, with only a little guilt, but he has to think about never being able to kiss another girl again.

I think that is what is daunting him, he is trying to control 'this urge' you guys talking about, how your body naturally wants to propagate and sow the seeds. . .

Hmmm
Re: Can You Catch Yourself Before You Fall In Love? by topup: 4:25am On Dec 03, 2008
25%more:

i think the first one is true, they sense then block it either cox they are scared of loosing their free single lifestyle, or they want some thing else

That to me sounds like there was nothing in the relationship to begin with, if they want something else, surely they are not emotionally tied to you in the slightest, right?
Re: Can You Catch Yourself Before You Fall In Love? by JJYOU: 6:19am On Dec 03, 2008
topup:

That to me sounds like there was nothing in the relationship to begin with, if they want something else, surely they are not emotionally tied to you in the slightest, right?
learn to understand not everyone comes into your life to stay for a life time.

some come for a reason, some for a season others to stay or bring the best or demon out of you. that is if you have one.  we all owe our destinies and future the great service of sorting out who we allow to stay in our lives  because it can make or mar you for the rest of your life.

don't travel with wrong partner. it is too expensive

topup:

Yes, the best time to be single is when you are young, but he doesn't have to be single at all, I guess some people don't like being in a relationships, but I just think he had wandering eye syndrome, the grass always looks greener on the other side, for us singles, we can dance with whoever, kiss whoever, with only a little guilt, but he has to think about never being able to kiss another girl again.

I think that is what is daunting him, he is trying to control 'this urge' you guys talking about, how your body naturally wants to propagate and sow the seeds. . .

Hmmm

19 is too young in my book to be in serious relationships. learn not to make your friendships last longer than they are necesary. some are seasonal.
Re: Can You Catch Yourself Before You Fall In Love? by GsUp: 10:34pm On Dec 03, 2008
@Poster:

The 'love blocker' mechanism comes into play for the following reasons:

1. When the guy does not want to lose the freedom of choice that goes with being single

2. He wants to focus on his career. Sometimes men do feel that a committed relationship can be a distraction in the 'building phase' of one's career. Emphasis on building phase

3. He has[b] 'Provider Mentality.'[/b] Even if the girl loves him unconditionally, is prepared to build with him and isn't materialistic, he does not feel confident about relationship until he is financially comfortable with himself. Please Note being 'financially comfortable' in the case of such a man does not refer to middle class comforts - car, house, stable job. Such men will not be confiident enough commit themselves to a woman until they are rich. I have heard several contemporaries say 'until I am rich, I will continue to play the field' - even if the woman is not even asking them for marriage, just a relationship.

4. He is not emotionally ready for a relationship, and does not want to destroy the friendship with the girl by messing things up taking into account the fact that he isn't ready.

Most of the guys I know fall into at least two if not all categories.
Re: Can You Catch Yourself Before You Fall In Love? by Nobody: 10:42pm On Dec 03, 2008
It happens, I have done it a few times before sha, when I feel that i am getting too close to someone, I try to step back, don't want to form any more emotions than needed
Re: Can You Catch Yourself Before You Fall In Love? by Nobody: 11:57am On Dec 04, 2008
topup:

Is it possible to catch yourself before you fall in love?

What do you think? Is it possible for a guy to detect incoming 'love' and to block it so that he can do what he has to do, such as move to a different location, marry another girl to please his family, obtain freedom so he can chase his career dreams, obtain freedom so he can focus on becoming successful (without the baggage of a girlfriend he 'so dearly loves').

Or do you think that the guys never truly loved the girls, they simply were just very fond of them and just snapped out of the whole daze of pretending that the relationship would last 'til marriage?

What's the verdict?

Its possible for a guy to detect obsession with a girl early and try to prevent it from stopping him from acheiving some things he might have wanted, of which his obsession for her might be in the way!! Of course obsession is a characteristics of love, so we are saying the same thing either way.

You might think that people dont have to be single at all, but you are very wrong. Life is a stage. You have to learn to crawl, walk before you run. If you skip any of these stages, you must have lost an important stage in your life which would have great psychological consequences. I dont see what a 19 year old wants to do with a serious relationship. undecided
Re: Can You Catch Yourself Before You Fall In Love? by iice(f): 4:46pm On Dec 04, 2008
I have always said, love is a choice.
You can choose to fall for someone or not. So yes, you can block it either when you think it's becoming real - too close for comfort or right up from the beginning (that is if you know what you want)
Re: Can You Catch Yourself Before You Fall In Love? by topup: 5:11am On Dec 17, 2008
Ujujoan:

You might think that people don't have to be single at all, but you are very wrong. Life is a stage. You have to learn to crawl, walk before you run. If you skip any of these stages, you must have lost an important stage in your life which would have great psychological consequences. I don't see what a 19 year old wants to do with a serious relationship. undecided

I agree, we don't all have to be in relationships, but I thought I didn't have to explain the fact that everybody would have already experienced single life at some age or the other, I for example spent 19 years of my life, without a single kiss, touch, NOTHING, that was by choice and it suited the phase I was going through and the people around at that time too.

But do we have to put an age limit on things? Should we now be pressuring a 22 year old man to consider having his first girlfriend or should we wait until he is a 'spinster' at 40? I believe everyone's different, and I understand that I may have not made that clear in my initial post.

However, my main question deals with reasons why people refuse to commit. I believe these are the same people who realise that once they achieve whatever they set their goals on, eventually the ugly head of relationships will rear itself at them, my theory is that these people are check box types. Certain things MUST come first, now I have a checkbox, I think we all should, it has academics, relationships, marriage and children, in their rightful order, but I think what makes me different to the people I have described in my previous post is that, certain things can happen in my life, in which I will change the order, I mean what if I find my ideal guy in the first year of university, will I leave him behind, because I sorted that to come after my graduation No, that's not me, but that is what I believe a person who can 'block love' is able to do, basically we are dealing with people who are able to RATIONALISE EVERYTHING.

GsUp:

@Poster:

The 'love blocker' mechanism comes into play for the following reasons:

1. When the guy does not want to lose the freedom of choice that goes with being single

2. He wants to focus on his career. Sometimes men do feel that a committed relationship can be a distraction in the 'building phase' of one's career. Emphasis on building phase

3. He has[b] 'Provider Mentality.'[/b] Even if the girl loves him unconditionally, is prepared to build with him and isn't materialistic, he does not feel confident about relationship until he is financially comfortable with himself. Please Note being 'financially comfortable' in the case of such a man does not refer to middle class comforts - car, house, stable job. Such men will not be confiident enough commit themselves to a woman until they are rich. I have heard several contemporaries say 'until I am rich, I will continue to play the field' - even if the woman is not even asking them for marriage, just a relationship.

4. He is not emotionally ready for a relationship, and does not want to destroy the friendship with the girl by messing things up taking into account the fact that he isn't ready.

Most of the guys I know fall into at least two if not all categories.

In response to this, I believe the psyche behind it suggests that the person is very rationalistic but is quite synical, but also realistic too. He doesn't have faith in love or give it too much credit, because if all his efforts go into building a relationship, he believes he cannot put all his effort into attaining his career goals. This way if love just suddenly disappears or falls apart, he is left with nothing, vulnerable, and believes it will be harder for an older man/man of his age to find love with 'nothing'. He believes that at least if he builds himself up to be rich and successful not only will that increase the chances of women coming to him (not necessarily love, but he may believe so), that at least if they leave or if it breaks, he still has his empire to fall on, however, he must be extremely financially stable for him to bear the catastrophic effect of a separating relationship. He wants to know that even if she takes everything, he'll be able to stand on his own two feet.

What do you think of that analysis guys n gals?
Re: Can You Catch Yourself Before You Fall In Love? by Fizzlle(m): 6:22am On Dec 17, 2008
19 is too young in my book to be in serious relationships. learn not to make your friendships last longer than they are necesary.  some are seasonal.

and may i ask why 19 is too young and how to make your friends not last too long and whats wrong with having a relationship at 19 . Oh um i hope I'm not intruding , looks like this is a female Forum but id really appreciate a friendly reply from any or every one here .
Re: Can You Catch Yourself Before You Fall In Love? by topup: 8:30pm On Dec 19, 2008
Fizzlle:

and may i ask why 19 is too young and how to make your friends not last too long and whats wrong with having a relationship at 19 . Oh um i hope I'm not intruding , looks like this is a female Forum but id really appreciate a friendly reply from any or every one here .

Nope, this isn't a female forum, maybe it's 'the pink' that's given you that idea, anyways

I don't believe 19 is too young, but I am around that age range so I have seen many serious and genuine relationships work, equally as many older people. I guess when you're older you may not be able to relate anymore, or maybe it's that thing we all go through, when as soon as we turn 13 we think we are teenagers, we think we are cool, we can romance, date and some even engage in sex. I mean wasn't it Jojo who sang 'Leave/Get out' about a cheating boyfriend, and most older women must have laughed as her song about tears and heartbreak couldn't possibly compare to having a husband for 25 years who's walked out on you with your sister or colleague. Do you see where I am going, a person at the age of 19 might believe they understand what love is, but that is just their perspective (and as far as I'm concerned, I don't see anything wrong with it), maybe through a more mature/experienced perspective, you can see the infatuation or lust instead, I don't know. But my opinion, is that everyone's different, I believe I matured at a very early age, that is why I had the bigger picture with me all along, all my friends wanted to try out so many things, with so many people, but I knew it'd look bad especially in the eyes of the person I eventually want to be with, for the rest of my life. So yes, for a period of my life, I was SO NOT COOL!! tongue
Re: Can You Catch Yourself Before You Fall In Love? by Tatase(f): 8:46pm On Dec 19, 2008
I can sympathize with the love blocker thing. I've done it once or twice in the past. I think for me it was not that I didn't like the guy, I just got cold feet not necessarily because I was yearning for the single life but just because I think longer term relationships are work.

I think I love blocked myself because I saw the "thing" was getting serious and I wasn't really ready to commit myself to putting that kind of maintenance work (calling, texting, doing things together and just all the generic dating cuteness etc) into a relationship at the time and I'm not someone who will string someone along or waste someone's time. (Abi make someone no bring my tori to NL).

I think it's relationship immaturity really. I know for me it was. I think if you were really ready (emotionally) to be in a relationship and if it was someone you really liked, then the love block thing wouldn't come into play.

Sidenote:
I always thought a "love blocker" was the friend whose constant presence prevented a guy from reaching his targeted chick.
Re: Can You Catch Yourself Before You Fall In Love? by topup: 7:36am On Dec 20, 2008
Tatase:

Sidenote:
I always thought a "love blocker" was the friend whose constant presence prevented a guy from reaching his targeted chick.

That's a 'cock blocker'.
Re: Can You Catch Yourself Before You Fall In Love? by iice(f): 1:18pm On Dec 21, 2008
topup:

However, my main question deals with reasons why people refuse to commit. I believe these are the same people who realise that once they achieve whatever they set their goals on, eventually the ugly head of relationships will rear itself at them, my theory is that these people are check box types. Certain things MUST come first, now I have a checkbox, I think we all should, it has academics, relationships, marriage and children, in their rightful order, but I think what makes me different to the people I have described in my previous post is that, certain things can happen in my life, in which I will change the order, I mean what if I find my ideal guy in the first year of university, will I leave him behind, because I sorted that to come after my graduation No, that's not me, but that is what I believe a person who can 'block love' is able to do, basically we are dealing with people who are able to RATIONALISE EVERYTHING.

Some are goal oriented.  There is a 'masterplan'.  Like you said, certain things must come first.
I rationalize alot of things.

topup:

In response to this, I believe the psyche behind it suggests that the person is very rationalistic but is quite synical, but also realistic too. He doesn't have faith in love or give it too much credit, because if all his efforts go into building a relationship, he believes he cannot put all his effort into attaining his career goals. This way if love just suddenly disappears or falls apart, he is left with nothing, vulnerable, and believes it will be harder for an older man/man of his age to find love with 'nothing'. He believes that at least if he builds himself up to be rich and successful not only will that increase the chances of women coming to him (not necessarily love, but he may believe so), that at least if they leave or if it breaks, he still has his empire to fall on, however, he must be extremely financially stable for him to bear the catastrophic effect of a separating relationship. He wants to know that even if she takes everything, he'll be able to stand on his own two feet.

What do you think of that analysis guys n gals?

You see it more like all or nothing.  While it's true for some, i like to think people aren't defined by their relationships.   People who are in love with love, tend to block everything out and thus focus all their energy and passion into their relationship, leaving other things to be in limbo.  Hence once a relationship is broken, they feel lost because what was once their entire focus is no more.  It's important to think about what if this happens, what if that happens.  I don't mean worrying to death, but would be able to stand on your own once the relationship is no more? (and i don't only mean breaking up, people die) It's not entirely intertwined - being able to still stand and breakups at least not in my case.  Sure would hurt but you still have a life. 
Re: Can You Catch Yourself Before You Fall In Love? by Tatase(f): 11:58pm On Dec 21, 2008
topup:

That's a 'cock blocker'.

Oh yeah. That's right. tongue
Re: Can You Catch Yourself Before You Fall In Love? by Tgirl4real(f): 2:18am On Dec 22, 2008
Most young guys have commitment phobia. They hardly know what they want and when they finally do it's too late.

There is nothing wrong in making a 360 degrees turn if you discover you are on the wrong track. But, always learn to leave an explanation so as not to leave the other person drolling.
Re: Can You Catch Yourself Before You Fall In Love? by Busybody2(f): 2:33pm On Dec 22, 2008
BRB, after christmas of course, I have asked Santa i want only want a dictionary this christmas, so that i can be able to tackle this thread and do it the justice that it deserves cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Can You Catch Yourself Before You Fall In Love? by smooooooth: 3:12pm On Dec 22, 2008
very true, happens all the time a guy will rather move on than

hurt a girl in the long run, knowing very well that she is the right one

but he is still too young to be committed.i've done it a couple of times.

and till date, the girls cnt still understand what happened to my fire.
Re: Can You Catch Yourself Before You Fall In Love? by Tgirl4real(f): 3:22pm On Dec 22, 2008
Busy_body:

BRB, after christmas of course, I have asked Santa i want only want a dictionary this christmas, so that i can be able to tackle this thread and do it the justice that it deserves cheesy cheesy cheesy

Iyalode,

I think say na only me o. Na so so grammarians fool this thread. I just post so that it won't be like i don't understand grammer. Ha, santa, me need a dico too
Re: Can You Catch Yourself Before You Fall In Love? by Busybody2(f): 3:27pm On Dec 22, 2008
Tgirl4real:

Iyalode,

I think say na only me o. Na so so grammarians fool this thread. I just post so that it won't be like i don't understand grammer. Ha, santa, me need a dico too

Na me you dey call olodo like you angry O o set rara angry U no well, grin grin grin
Re: Can You Catch Yourself Before You Fall In Love? by Tcrack(m): 6:40pm On Dec 22, 2008
Of course you can. BEFORE YOU FALL IN LOVE.
Re: Can You Catch Yourself Before You Fall In Love? by krama(m): 7:44pm On Dec 22, 2008
Of course you can, even if you are already in love. To love or not to love someone is a choice.
Re: Can You Catch Yourself Before You Fall In Love? by AdamBrody1(m): 7:53pm On Dec 22, 2008
I am the poster boy for this topic:

Now when i think i am about to fall in love, i split sharp sharp and leave the girl hanging. Its even sweeter when you deduce that the girl is in love with you and when she least expects it, GBAM!

You leave her loving her pillow with a bucket beside her to cry herself a river!

grin

I love this topic!
Re: Can You Catch Yourself Before You Fall In Love? by bluespice(f): 7:56pm On Dec 22, 2008
im a witness to this
my best friends boyfriend dumped her saying he wasnt ready for love when it was obvious he was smitten

i have backed out of "sticky situtions" as i call em cos i was not ready for relationships

yes it is possible
how else do u stop urself from developing ur crush to love?
its all up in there-the head

is it possible to have the mods delete spammers frm this board?
Re: Can You Catch Yourself Before You Fall In Love? by na2day2(m): 5:27am On Dec 23, 2008
@ poster

i just did. i had to stop myself from falling in love, it hard work but it was work that had to be done cry cry cry cry
Re: Can You Catch Yourself Before You Fall In Love? by Chrisbenogor(m): 7:30am On Dec 23, 2008
Hello house,
Can someone give definitions please,
What does being in love constitute and is it the same for everybody?
Re: Can You Catch Yourself Before You Fall In Love? by sammyjl(f): 10:59am On Dec 23, 2008
Yes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Could This Be True Luv? / What Is Your Favourite Radio Programme / She Likes Sex So Much, How Do I Cope With Her?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.