Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,160 members, 7,815,046 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:55 AM

Ribadu Flees Nigeria? - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ribadu Flees Nigeria? (11874 Views)

Okorocha Flees Nigeria As EFCC Queries Diversion of 2bn bailout- Thisday / Abdullah Dikko, Ex-Comptroller-General of Customs Flees Nigeria- Sahara Reporter / Investor Flees Nigeria After Being Paid N32b For Vessels - Amaechi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by Moves: 4:41pm On Dec 12, 2008
cre8tivity:

it doesn't matter how much you've recovered, you must obeyed the rules.
an american soldier that lost both legs fighting for his country would still come back home to obey the rules and regulations, or else he would be treated like a criminal. this is why it would take another 2000 years for nigeria to come close to america high standard. we are foolish and weak just like our constitution, and this is very sad.
Nope I disagree; earlier this week a sitting gov; in chicago was arrested due to investigations carried out by the FBI which is similar to the EFCC; they had concluded their investigations and then arrested the gov; they didnt send out an invitation to come for questioning; he was arrested. Thats the way to fight corruption; not invited tyhe person; to let them know there r being investigated the try and start investigating -- that is our problem;;-that is the backward thinking that u r failing to accept
Can u answer categorically if he was invited for Questioning? It is simple as yes or No. The fact remains that he is not being accused of anything by the EFCC; u & I know it
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by Mamajama(m): 4:43pm On Dec 12, 2008
ATTENTION

Please stop wasting your valuable times in trying to educate [size=20pt]cre8tivity[/size]

She is just seeking attention at all means, even when we cry we can see clearly RIBADU was the best thing that has ever happened to Nigerian liberation and war against corruption.

How many cases has RIBADU's replacement prosecuted?  how many indictment has Waziri gotten from the court?

RIBADU's accomplishment is monumental and can not be destroyed by any allegations or the evil forces that are mounting and trying to tarnish his reputation.
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by cre8tivity(f): 4:47pm On Dec 12, 2008
my dear mamajama, i can assure that i get more than enough positive attention at my current position and by god's grace the attention shall continue to double by every single month. again, do you have a mirror at home? if you do, please kindly use it more.
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by Moves: 4:51pm On Dec 12, 2008
Muza:

its funny and unfortunate that so many Nigerians are so myopic to think that EFCC was created just so that Ribadu could be its Chairman,HABA!
Let the correct such ignorant thoughts,EFCC was not created for Ribadu.so wats the big deal if he is not there tmr.
Its not that Waziri is doin a better job but one day we will get sm1 better.
So in a country of >140m people,its only Ribadu that can fight corruption
People are not peeved by the fact that he was removed as the head of EFCC, He cannot be there forever; I for one believe that appointing someone like dora akunyili will do well in that position if given the right backing, however am glad that ribadu did something even if it is creating awareness --hence he was promoted in recognition for his effort; his demotion is what people were against. They should have just left him alone after removing him from the EFCC; maybe not even promote till he retires; no but those who are after him were in a hurry and needed to show that they r now in control d but the following sequence of events is what is leading people to see the ulterior motives in play.
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by cre8tivity(f): 5:04pm On Dec 12, 2008
i think the problem here is: nigerians are not used to people that sincerely fight for something without getting something nice out of it. when you defend what you stand for or share different view from the rest, it is an automatic mind set for them, the rest to think your last name is ibori or kalu. and this is very sad. the only way our country could move out of this darkness is by paying more attention to how our leaders or role models choose to handle things. and the best way/ time to judge a great leader is how he handles himself or operates when things are going bad for him.
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by cre8tivity(f): 5:06pm On Dec 12, 2008
so far, ribadu hasn't handled himself well. and i think he has finally realized his mistake.
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by cre8tivity(f): 5:09pm On Dec 12, 2008
democracy for all, democracy forever. this is the only way.
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by Mamajama(m): 5:16pm On Dec 12, 2008
@cre8tivity you keep referring to mirror. please tell us all what crime has Ribadu been charged of?

All this propaganda is nothing but administrative matter, and why is he been subjected for doing a profound job?
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by Moves: 5:17pm On Dec 12, 2008
Mamajama:

ATTENTION

Please stop wasting your valuable times in trying to educate [size=20pt]cre8tivity[/size]

Now I agree
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by Moves: 5:19pm On Dec 12, 2008
cre8tivity:

i think the problem here is: nigerians are not used to people that sincerely fight for something without getting something nice out of it. when you defend what you stand for or share different view from the rest, it is an automatic mind set for them, the rest to think your last name is ibori or kalu. and this is very sad. the only way our country could move out of this darkness is by paying more attention to how our leaders or role models choose to handle things. and the best way/ time to judge a great leader is how he handles himself or operates when things are going bad for him.
The problem is not having a divergent view; but inability to accept the validity of fact that counters ones views.[b][/b]
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by ayobase(m): 5:23pm On Dec 12, 2008
he wont be the first
and never the last!!!

keep fleeing my people.
flee from every appearance
of the devil.

I mean appearance of any sort!!!!
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by tharma(f): 5:42pm On Dec 12, 2008
My very concern about corruption is not Ribadu as a person, but EFCC as an institution. In every organized society what u have is institutions that work perfectly very well without the need of a perticular man. This now makes it easy for the institution to perform its functions very well over a very long time.
However institutions are managed by human beings, so in order for the institutions to work perfectly very well, the people that managed the institution have to be its blood, its life support, its frame work. So for the institution to survive and not loose its direction, smooth transition from one generation of work force to another have to take place.
For instance, If a company is set up and employ staff,  the staff are trained to achieve the goals and objectives of the company and if the company is doing well, the management is allowed to continue. If the shareholders feels the companys direction is drailing, they sit down and make new policies for the company to redirect the focus of the management. The management is always sacked or change when it is found out that its decision are failing the company.
But in the case of EFCC what we have is a contratry. Nuhu Ribadu was given a mandate to create the organization. When the EFCC was set up, it has nothing, no office block. But this guy molded the EFCC into what we have today. He has employed staff, trained them, and of course both him and his new staff are learning. The government did not give him and his staff time to get the organization matured before dumping him and bringin in new people. Imagine chaning all the 12 principal investigating officers of the organization just over night? All their experience is wasted overnight. Transfering out all the well trained 300 police officers and send them back to the old police station where they will be force to collect N10 on the road. It will take years again for the new investigators to acquire the skills and confidence to tacke the corruption problem.
Imagine Lamorde posted to Ningi! Ningi is one small local government in Bauchi and he will be doing nothing there. Imagine the experience he have gathered just wasting away. All the money the government paid for his training have become a waste.
No any wise government will do that. What the present administration did to him, and the whole organisation was what we call Nigerian Factor. Anytime we have change of administration, the new administration will change the head of all government agencies and bring their own and mess the whole systmem. This is what we called lack of continuity. This is just contrary to what we have in organized societies. In organized societies head of government agencies are not changed without reason, and staff of government agencies are not transfered or deployed unnecessarily.
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by Moves: 5:49pm On Dec 12, 2008
tharma:

My very concern about corruption is not Ribadu as a person, but EFCC as an institution. In every organized society what u have is institutions that work perfectly very well without the need of a perticular man. This now makes it easy for the institution to perform its functions very well over a very long time.
However institutions are managed by human beings, so in order for the institutions to work perfectly very well, the people that managed the institution have to be its blood, its life support, its frame work. So for the institution to survive and not loose its direction, smooth transition from one generation of work force to another have to take place.
For instance, If a company is set up and employ staff, the staff are trained to achieve the goals and objectives of the company and if the company is doing well, the management is allowed to continue. If the shareholders feels the companys direction is drailing, they sit down and make new policies for the company to redirect the focus of the management. The management is always sacked or change when it is found out that its decision are failing the company.
But in the case of EFCC what we have is a contratry. Nuhu Ribadu was given a mandate to create the organization. When the EFCC was set up, it has nothing, no office block. But this guy molded the EFCC into what we have today. He has employed staff, trained them, and of course both him and his new staff are learning. The government did not give him and his staff time to get the organization matured before dumping him and bringin in new people. Imagine chaning all the 12 principal investigating officers of the organization just over night? All their experience is wasted overnight. Transfering out all the well trained 300 police officers and send them back to the old police station where they will be force to collect N10 on the road. It will take years again for the new investigators to acquire the skills and confidence to tacke the corruption problem.
Imagine Lamorde posted to Ningi! Ningi is one small local government in Bauchi and he will be doing nothing there. Imagine the experience he have gathered just wasting away. All the money the government paid for his training have become a waste.
No any wise government will do that. What the present administration did to him, and the whole organisation was what we call Nigerian Factor. Anytime we have change of administration, the new administration will change the head of all government agencies and bring their own and mess the whole systmem. This is what we called lack of continuity. This is just contrary to what we have in organized societies. In organized societies head of government agencies are not changed without reason, and staff of government agencies are not transfered or deployed unnecessarily.

And people are still bereft of the fact that an Ulterior motives is at hand. Wake up and smell the coffee
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by OyiboX(m): 9:22pm On Dec 12, 2008
cre8tivity:

how could you pick the best man without first doing an evaluation or fully understanding exactly what he has done? is this how your employer pick the right man at your job? i'm sorry and no disrespect, but looking at the way you think, you share a lot of qualities with our leaders.

Crea8tivity,

Will not agree either he was the best man for the job - there will always be someone who can do better, I'm sure the best man for the job would have been mysteriously killed by an unknown decease before even entering his office the first time. However, all things being equal and given the circumstances Ribadu had to work under - I still believe he did a decent job and don't see many supported arguments that will change my time yet,  time will tell.

But lets turn it around for a second. Do you think Waziri is doing/going to do a better job (i.e. would you rather have her or Ribadu - if those were only choices)? What approach would you take if you really wanted to fight corruption in this country?

Where I am coming from, looking at the state Nigeria is currently in - how else do you really imagine you can fight it? Find one who will turn against all corrupt fellows around here, ? How will he survive till his first arrest?

There is too much tribalism in this country, a thing thats almost even worse than racism if you ask me - while most Nigerians sure hate corruption and see so few people walk away with so much, then isn't it somewhat in the culture that the big Chief comes back to his village and builds a church, paves a road, buys a bus etc? To do this, support your own community and gain this recognition, you need cash - and a lot of it - where in the world will you get it from if you are not Dangote,  Corruption? It is somewhat a vicious circle and it takes more than one EFCC to change it, even if it is the best EFCC - a change in mindset is also needed.

Corruption is bad, beyond any doubt - but it would have less of an impact actually if the funds stayed in Nigeria, invested in Nigeria - creating jobs, wealth etc. But the corruption in this country all end up at investments somewhere else in the world - for houses, jets and luxury,  Reading through the whole case I just have one big question left: How can a guvenor transfer funds directly from the treasury till his own/secretary's bank account? It seems like we need a 101 in financial controlling!
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by nomanicole(f): 10:38pm On Dec 12, 2008
ha ha ha lipsrsealed
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by Tapiya(m): 11:00pm On Dec 12, 2008
The truth is Amuza and Creativity are just hiding under the same guise of the Rule [size=5pt][s]ruse[/size] of Law of Mr Aandooka to witch hunt Ribadu and they believe just anything those people are saying, no one is saying its bad to obey the rules of the country, but the amazing thing is that those preaching it are not following it, one has to be wise in this country or else you end up in an early grave. Ribadu knew the course was clear for him to appear that was why he appeared, there are times People make rules that will favour them and you know the modern Laws how they can cover up thieves with the technicallities and all that, so we should stop just looking at what we hear we should look beyond what he have heard, there is more to what is happening to Ribadu that meets the eyes, We know quite well that the whole issue is a design to bring him down for doing a good Job and yet we are supporting them, if you follow my posts well you will noticed I agree with you where you are right but then you are just insisting he does the right thing even when you know that it is at his detriment, Please lets take a look and condemn what is wrong then encourage the right thing to be done.
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by eleven(m): 10:08am On Dec 13, 2008
Why Ribadu shunned Police Panels
Written by VANGUARD
Saturday, 13 December 2008

Embattled former Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes commission, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu shunned several panels set up by the Police high command to hear him respond to charges of insorbudination because he felt that it was unnecessary to do so since he was also challenging his demotion in court.

A source close to him told Saturday Vanguard Thursday that police high command was desperate to nail him for nothing and since they could not find anything to wrap around him they have resorted to desperate measures .

The source said that the same police command that has not paid him for six years is now desperate to discipline him. “ you won’t believe that the man has not earned a kobo from the police in six years. He did not earn a dime from the police for the five years he was with the EFCC and sice he left the EFCC about a years ago. That is the truth.”

The source said that the powerful corrupt elements in the country that are fighting him now are very powerful people that “is why they would stop at nothing until they get him.

“This is a man that secured over 200 convictions for the EFCC, that brought credibility to the country instead of the same country to decorate him with garlands they are persecuting him.”

The source said that issue of his appearance before the so-called disciplinary committee should not have raised such a storm in the first place because the man-{Ribadu} had said that he disagreed with his demotion what is he going to say to the committee?

What rank would he wear to meet the panel. People should know that Nuhu is desperate to end the matter that was the reason he went to the Ecowas court that has the same jurisdiction with the Federal Hight court.

When Nuhu sensed that judiciary workers were on strike he quickly rushed to the Ecowas court that has the same jurisdiction with the Federal high court.

On whether the former EFCC chairman actually went on exile, the source said that there was never a time he went into exile. It was not true that he went into exile.

“ That is not to say that he has ruled it out completely. If it means that it is the the only he can save his life he would go on exile. “Why not? If it is the only option left he would have to go he would do it.

“Fighting corruption is not easy. It is not a tea party. Can you believe that they are punushing him for going to court? It is unbelievable. A man fought so hard to eradicate corruption in the country yet they are hounding all over the place like a common criminal. Despite his troubles Nuhu still believes in this country believe it or not. He still does.”, the source said.

Source: http://www.vanguardngr.com/content/view/23969/42/
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by IykeD1(m): 6:30pm On Dec 13, 2008
@Crea8tivity

Can you possibly see that perhaps Ribadu's travail may be due to a big consipiracy between the PSC, EFCC,
NPF, AGF, and the Gang of Crooks? You don't see any possible link? When Ibori, Lucky or Kalu were detained,
their prison visitors was essentially a who is who in Nigeria list. You don't possibly see any link between the
entrenched corrupt interest groups and Ribadu's ordeal?

You don't have a problem with a national hero who had helped the country to recover about $5.6 billion only to
be demoted twice 6 months later? Frankly, I didn't know "double demotion" was the award of choice in countries
where citizens face grave dangers to serve. In sane countries, Ribadu will be the IG of police today, but hey, no
one said Nigeria was a sane land, all we care about is that Ribadu must obey rules and regulations, right. Never
mind that the current people in power got there via an election that did not follow proper rules and regulations
to say the least.

As MamaJama asked you earlier, what is Waziri's accomplishment to date besides hounding Ribadu? Why does
Ribadu need to hand over to Waziri, I thought when he left the EFCC, his deputy became the substantial chair
until they finally tossed him somewhere else. Let me guess, AGF Aoondaka(however you spell his name) needs
all the remaining scoops on the ex-governors so he can squash them once and for all. Since he couldn't ask
Ribadu directly, he is using Waziri to do the job. How many cases have the office of the AGF brought to court
in the past one year besides him jumping at every chance he gets to intervene in EFCC's cases against the
governors?

I am not sure whose interest you represent, but it is strange if you don't see a possible connection between
Ribadu's crusade and his current ordeal, perhaps it shouldn't be strange (depending on your interest).
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by Naijex: 12:00pm On Dec 14, 2008
I beg leave cre8tivity alone, she dey for another world.

She get cynical attitude.
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by Chetachuku(m): 1:03pm On Dec 16, 2008
The danger in Malam Ribadu's case is that people who can champion the fight against corruption in Nigeria may develop cold feet after seeing what he is going through. Does it mean that the incumbent government disapproves of Ribadu's actions during his days as EFCC boss? Or has the government lack the political will to call Ribadu's assailants to order? Is the government unaware of these events that have forced Ribadu out of his dear country? Many more questions must be asked and their answers provided by the government of the day if the fight against corruption will be worthwhile.
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by cre8tivity(f): 2:23pm On Dec 16, 2008
i do not see any danger in making sure that all citizens are treated equally. i don't care where ribadu is from or what he has done or who he has arrested or what he's trying to do, as long as he's the citizen of this country, he must obey or acknowledge the rules and regulations just like any other citizen. this is the right thing and if ribadu was a smart man, he could have played his enemies well with their own game, by simply obeying the rules and regulations.
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by cre8tivity(f): 2:33pm On Dec 16, 2008
nigerians want an honest leader to lead the efcc, not anybody's messenger-boy or house-boy (eg. mustapha and ribadu). the position is not an honorary position either, it is a federal government's position that is very much replaceable. i honestly feel that the chairman position should be broken down into 5 parts. the identification of these 5 individuals should never be revealed to the public. i say if we know who you are, you're fired. this would automatically void power drunk, self centered and egoistic individual from being attracted to the position.
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by Moves: 2:59pm On Dec 16, 2008
cre8tivity:

i honestly feel that the chairman position should be broken down into 5 parts. the identification of these 5 individuals should never be revealed to the public. i say if we know who you are, you're fired. this would automatically void power drunk, self centered and egoistic individual from being attracted to the position.
I see ur point here; quite valid; but when the nigerian factor is added makes it near impossible; if they dont get leaked; they themselves by their action will leak info out; or you will also get the likes of terry waya saying they are fronts for 1 of the EFCC chairmen; before u know it; 419 men will start using these format too,
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by cre8tivity(f): 3:40pm On Dec 16, 2008
all these obstacles of progress that we continue to see beforehand is called mental disablement. if we continue to see this kind of vision, our country will remain motionless from now till the arrival of Jesus. we must stop thinking like a bushman, and do what is needed to pull this country out of darkness.
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by PROJECT: 2:32pm On Dec 18, 2008
please nigerians lets wake up,creativity which do u prefer selective fight on corruption or no fight at all.nigerians rejected chris okotie and he has said yaradua wont rule in peace now we are seeing it.nigerians wake uppppppppppppp undecided
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by juddy16: 7:44pm On Dec 26, 2008
Am against the treatmented been mated to mr Rebadu, if the principle of rule of law which the present administraion is shouting about is to be followed, he should be allowed to exhaust his claims at the court of law before the pronouncement of his dismisal. However, on the contrary, it could be the sellective justice which he used as a vendetta agaisnt those in the bad book of his boss that is hunting him.
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by otokx(m): 2:31pm On Dec 27, 2008
Where did Ribadu flee to?
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by omodada1: 6:14pm On Dec 29, 2008
can we ever have a leader that will lead and be found clean in nigeria? \obasanjo abi? wait and see, i think he still got some paro with EFCC or him hand clean ko? we are waiting, for justics pls no special consideration wen it comes to coroption. lipsrsealed
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by sartorius(m): 6:27pm On Dec 29, 2008
the system is rotten
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by sartorius(m): 8:32pm On Dec 29, 2008
Nigerians who are plain tired of the Yar’Adua regime’s claims to living out the rule of law found reason last Thursday to be nauseated. A Federal High Court in Enugu convicted former Governor Lucky Igbinedion of Edo State on a one-count charge of corruption. His punishment? To pay a fine of N3.6 million. That’s not even a slap on the wrist; it’s a pat on the back – or even a lover’s hum in the ear!

Go to any Nigerian prison and you’ll find inmates who have spent several years for picking somebody’s pocket. In Zamfara, a man had his hand amputated for stealing cattle! And yet, Igbinedion, who was charged with stealing billions of naira, doesn’t have to spend a second in jail!
This isn’t rule of law; it’s ruse of law. It broadcasts that there are two Nigerias and two sets of rules, one set for commoners, the other for the lucky few who call themselves “stake holders.”

The whole shocking episode, make no mistake, was orchestrated by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC). The shenanigan began when the anti-corruption substituted its initial 191-count charge of corruption, money laundering and embezzlement against Igbinedion and his colluding companies with a 24-count charge.

As if the bonanza of the shrunken charges wasn’t enough, the EFCC then threw a Christmas party for this lucky Igbinedion. It decided to arraign him on just one count. The lone charge read: “That you, Lucky Igbinedion (former governor of Edo State) on or about January 21, 2008, within the jurisdiction of this honorable court, neglected to make a declaration of your interest in the account No. 41240113983110 with GTBank in the declaration of Assets Form of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and you thereby committed an offence punishable under section 27(3) of the EFCC Act, 2004.”

Igbinedion may be a thief, but he’s no fool. He quickly pleaded guilty to the single charge. The presiding judge blew him a kiss from the bench in the form of the N3.6 million fine. The second accused entity, Kiva Corporation, was convicted on two of the 23 charges preferred against it. The judge asked that the company, one of several Igbinedion used to steal public funds, should pay a N500 million fine. It’s also to forfeit its landed properties, including a parcel of land in Asokoro, a district of Abuja, two plots of land in Benin City with a four-bedroom house and two outer houses, and a storey building also in Benin.

Everything considered, Igbinedion’s day in court was so easy it must have seemed to him like one of his stealing days! One newspaper reported that the former governor, who had arrived in court with a few of his aides, “paid the fine within minutes after the verdict and was driven away in a white Peugeot 307 marked Nasarawa AG 16 NSW.” I won’t be surprised if he and his retinue drove straight to the venue of a giddy victory party. A party for the lucky few permitted to steal as much as their twisted minds wish and yet face no serious penalty! Why won’t Igbinedion and his pals celebrate this early Christmas windfall? Who would begrudge them a huge, heady party, champagne and spirits flowing, the music blaring, local and imported women flaunting their lithe torsos and surgically enhanced breasts at lucky men, smiles and laughter and wild dancing all around!

advertisement

Why not, indeed? Let’s put things in perspective. The original rap against Igbinedion was that he stole N4.4 billion naira – or more than twenty million dollars – from Edo State. Remark that this figure was, in all likelihood, a small fraction of the funds that went missing during the eight years that Igbinedion ruined Edo State. Executive thieves often have the tools to outwit even the best forensic tools of anti-corruption agents. Yet, in a perplexing plea bargain, Igbinedion was allowed to waltz out of the courtroom after quickly paying a fine of less than thirty-five thousand dollars!

advertisement

How much is thirty-five thousand dollars worth to the Igbinedions of Nigeria? It’s less than the allowance they hand to their girlfriends for one shopping junket to London, Paris or New York. It’s less than their bill for a weekend jamboree in one of Dubai’s glitzy hotels.

Where a crime as grave as the betrayal of public trust is committed, a prosecutor who knows what he’s doing usually persuades a judge to hand down a serious sentence. Quite apart from making the offender feel the pinch of his crime, a stiff sentence is also meant to deter others from contemplating a life of crime.

Justice Abdullahi Kafarati’s sentence does not have any deterrent sting whatever. Can anybody think of a single politician in Abuja or any of the thirty-six state capitals who would be chastened by Igbinedion’s “punishment”? Is there a chance that any quick-fingered politician would look at the sentence and learn the lesson that corruption is a risky gamble? I seriously doubt it.

Nigerians were scandalized when former Inspector-General of Police Tafa Balogun got away with a six-month sentence for stealing N17 billion. Then they were shocked when former Governor D.S.P. Alamieyeseigha got away with another soft jail sentence. Now, with Igbinedion’s feathery sentence, Balogun and Alamieyeseigha must be stewing with envy. Compared to Igbinedion, those two must feel as if they faced a firing squad!

Justice Kafarati’s sentence is the kind of sanction likely to fertilize corruption, not stem it. Here’s what it proposes to the collection of crooks who misrule Nigeria: steal, as much as you want, you’ll live to enjoy the fruits of your treachery! Steal millions of dollars; pay a few thousand in fine – and absolutely no jail time.

What bizarre considerations informed the judge’s decision to hand candies to Igbinedion in the name of sentencing him? Why did the EFCC seem to snooze as Justice Abdullahi Kafarati weighed Igbinedion’s sentence? From newspaper accounts, Igbinedion’s lawyer was the more aggressive, determined in pleading his client’s case and pressing the case for leniency. Why didn’t the agency’s lawyer speak forcefully about the egregious nature of Igbinedion’s crimes, and their grave consequences for his state? Why did the EFCC decide to arraign Lucky on a single, relatively innocuous charge?

After the verdict, the EFCC affected outrage. It threatened to appeal. I am not impressed. The agency’s current chair, Farida Waziri, had earlier said she was opposed to plea bargains with accused officials. How then did the agency find itself in this sordid plea bargain with Igbinedion? Here’s my prediction: the agency will wait a few weeks for the shock of Igbinedion’s feather-brush to wear off. Then it will let sleeping dogs lie – or lying dogs sleep.
love the article, by okey ndibe
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by fireangels(f): 9:14pm On Dec 29, 2008
Why I sympathise with Ribadu is that he was used by Nigeria to fight corruption and he did a good job, but trod on many feet, who want him out. It is not a good feeling when people gang up against you with the intent to bring you down, and this is what is happening to Ribadu. Yes agreed the guy has made some mistakes, Why cant the police respect the rule of law and legal channel that Ribadu has taken?
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by larez(m): 1:57am On Jan 16, 2009
May Divine Intervention save Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Dr Sikiru Ayinde Barrister Is Dead (Punchng) / Umahi Suspends Jacinta Nworie, Special Adviser / APC Planning To Disrupt Our Convention – PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.