Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:41 AM

Ribadu Flees Nigeria? - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ribadu Flees Nigeria? (11872 Views)

Okorocha Flees Nigeria As EFCC Queries Diversion of 2bn bailout- Thisday / Abdullah Dikko, Ex-Comptroller-General of Customs Flees Nigeria- Sahara Reporter / Investor Flees Nigeria After Being Paid N32b For Vessels - Amaechi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by tharma(f): 10:10pm On Dec 10, 2008
@ Crea8tivity
Recently James Ibori started to massive media campaign to clear his bad name. He bought stakes in some major Nigerian Newspapers that have been operating with near zero operating profit (nZop). Mr Crea8tivity is one of the guys hired to come and clear his image on Naira land.

All the allegations u made in the Nigerian Newspapers does that means they are true? It is just one of those things. Politicians believe Nigerians are gullible. Most swalow every line they read in Newspapers to be true. So by paying those newspapers to published stories that reads like this

', it is also alledge that, '
', it is also believed, '

So the fact that newspapers come out and make allegations that means it turns out to be true? Im certain if all these allegations were true, it would have been Micheal Aondaka that will be talking about these today, not stupid Newspapers. After all they are looking for cheap popularity and means to tarnish his image but could not find.

Most Nigerians politicians are very corrupt and so are Nigerian police officers. They expect Nuhu Ribadu to be like any other police office. Cant they see he doenst have pot belly?

The allegations that there are over 70 cheques not cleared is just another bogus allegation. Cheques become stale after 6 months of issue. This guy have left the organisation almost a year now they are coming with excuse of expired cheques. If some of the cheques are fake, how do they expect him to present them to the banks?

who said a 19 year old can not own a house in UK?

Once a person is a resident in UK, all he has to do is take a mortgage. People dont buy house cash. Fools and they also said she is married to a Medical Doctor? So u believe her husband dont have the resources to take mortgage and buy a house.

And those of u who think Ribadu is not fighting are mistaken.
If Ribadu was another coward, he would have resigned since and take off to another country. If Ribadu was like any other ordinary police officer, as a matter fact, like an ordinary Nigerian, he would have gladly accepted his demotion. The fact that people are talking about him today means he is not a coward. He is going to fight till he sees the end of his case in the courts. Not only is he going to see the end of this, believe me, unless they kill him, he will triumph over them.
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by cre8tivity(f): 10:33pm On Dec 10, 2008
if ibori is guilty of anything, i hope he stays in jail for 70 years. i'm not here to support any ex or current governor, i'm only here to promote democracy for all and respect for the rule of law. nobody is above the law and certainly, nobody is bigger than nigeria. please do not waste your time on coaching me on who is corrupt and who is not. i have enough info on that subject already.
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by troy07: 10:49pm On Dec 10, 2008
@cre8tivity

What's wrong in starting to fix thing up from somewhere (like all the thing Ribadu did at EFCC)? Why can we thank God and also  thank Ribadu for risking his life and for job well done? Why can't we acknowledge that in history of Nigeria, we have not seen the kind of Ribadu - EFCC operations?

Your so called high standard democracy that you are promoting will not materialize if people like you are talking bad about someone that tried to make a change.

Has any innocent politician been charged by EFCC? NO.

I still believe there is something else on your.
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by Muza(m): 11:25pm On Dec 10, 2008
EFCC is supposed to fight all financial crimes not some financial crimes as DCP Ribadu did grin
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by tharma(f): 11:55pm On Dec 10, 2008
Yes, but he cannot start everywhere, he have to start from somewhere. If all ur clothes dirty and u want to wash them, how do u start? U sock all of them and start with one after the other. What EFCC did was to soak all the clothes i.e instill fear in the heart of Nigerian(using propaganda) and then start catching them one after the other. Nuhu cant fight everything alone. He thought ICPC, code of conduct and of course police will help, but non are trying. While Nuhu Ribadu was busy catching th big thieves, police should go ahead and catch the small thieves.
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by tharma(f): 11:58pm On Dec 10, 2008
@Creativity

Im not saying u dont have enough on that subject. Having enough information does not mean that, the information is understood in a proper way. There is a right kind of understanding and the wrong one.
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by troy07: 11:59pm On Dec 10, 2008
It be like say we get plenty comrade chucku m********* for NL
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by larez(m): 12:11am On Dec 11, 2008
It is very depressing to know that Nigeria is full of cowards who know what is right but will stand by idly while evil fosters around them. Cre8tivity is nothing but a crook or a beneficiary of crooks and ehie likewise must have a close relative or friend that Mallam Nuhu Ribadu caught in crime. Who are these people fooling? Considering that the whole world recognized that Ribadu made a difference in Nigeria speaks for itself in the better credit rating that Nigeria got and the improved image as well. There have been some unsubstantiated allegations against Ribadu that he has responded intelligently to and even counter-challenged those who accused him to provide open evidence to the media to prove a case against him.

It is a shame to watch Nigeria deteriorate again after Ribadu has made a gallant effort. ICPC had always been there to go after the so-called others that Ribadu did not pursue, for those who keep alleging that he didn't go after the others. The fact still remain that he went after thieves. What is going on Nigeria? why are we being shackled by a few thieves stealing away our progress and wealth? here are some hypocrites trying to smear the man's name in mud to substantiate their criminality or those of their associates. Have you found the Attorney General or Waziri refuting the claims being made by Sahara Reporters or challenging anyone to prove those claims?

Nigerians who seek hope for their country should right now be focused or organizing themselves together for a public upheaval against corruption and standing firm with Mallam Nuhu Ribadu as their Icon of representation. We should all e in the streets and have the National assembly surrounded to grasp back the power of the people. We should be unafraid of their Criminal Police coming out to shoot us, but have the World press around us to show the world what they try to do to us. We should also be willing to die for our cause.

We have seen the Orange revolution, we have recently seen Thailand and how people power worked. Many of us here signed the petition against Arogundade who beat up the young Lady on the streets of Lagos, but we are only starting. If we have to give up our lives for a cause, I think the most important cause should be our Nation. Ribadu has done his own, and may rise again one day. But he has definitely gone down in History as a lone man who stood up against the Nigerian mafia who have decided that they own the country and have the right to steal our resources. But what is life really all about? We have been born to die. This is unavoidable. However, what counts about life is what we have done while we have it and what we are willing to achieve to give it up. Ribadu has done his own, and I will forever remember the Brother. I will hold him in high esteem for his courage, regardless of the faults some people point at. I will rally behind strong and righteous leadership, who will be willing to put it all in-line to bring back Nigeria to the people. 

For the thieving people who will never see any good in the likes of Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, I will tell you this:

For each life that was lost on dilapidated roads who's funding for repairs were stolen by the corrupt;
For each innocent person that has suffered persecution from criminal looters who will go to any means to preserve their lifestyles;
For the Lack of development that has entrenched the Nigerian masses in poverty and the lack of a substantial Middle class;
For each child, man or woman who has lost their lives because of inadequate health care in country well blessed by God with natural resources;
May the Spirits of our forefathers, mothers, sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles, and children turn them around to see the errors of their ways and make them repentant by returning all looted funds back to the people. And if they choose to continue in their ways, may they and their offsprings be plagued by incurable diseases that will have them suffer pain and a slow death. May their names be trodden in mud and act as deterrence for potential thieves and looters on the future.
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by Muza(m): 12:15am On Dec 11, 2008
you ddnt address him properly as DCP grin
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by sley4life(m): 1:02am On Dec 11, 2008
@larez, u dont come here and call someone a coward cos his/her views dont correlate with urs,  u can be pro or anti ribadu but leave the other people to make comments suitable for them,
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by cre8tivity(f): 1:45am On Dec 11, 2008
people find it impossible to exercise self respect and concentrate more on the topic, as it's starting to look like this battle is between cre8tivity vs ribadu, and it is very sad. i will move forward and allow only ribadu's supporters to come here to exhale and exchange ideas. i am done here. i had a very nice experience here with everyone. let us just pray and hope for the right leaders to rise up and direct this country towards greatness. thanks to everybody.
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by sley4life(m): 3:17am On Dec 11, 2008
@cre8tivity u dont need to log out cos of critics, keep ur points and stand by it. Im sitting on the fence on this topic, U people coutering other members cos they dont support ur side arent fair,
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:23am On Dec 11, 2008
Mamajama:

@ehie

IN UNITED STATES We believed in facts and I was curious to verify your story.

I paid $39.99 and got all the detail juices for the information you posted.  Not only was your story wrong, they were misleading.

They claimed she was 23 years old, but the RIBADU that resided at the address you cited was 30 years old.  That means if NUHU Ribadu was the father of that girl  he must have had a baby at the age of 15?  for your info,  Ribad in 46  and has only been married  for 12 years and only  has  3 childrens.  KAI  i tire

simple answer,she falsified her age.that was why I put it up in italics.
larez:

ehie likewise must have a close relative or friend that Mallam Nuhu Ribadu caught in crime.
Sorry to dissapoint you,but am completely self made.I don't have anyone in power,and by God's grace will get to where am going through sheer will focus and determination.

Frankly,I will not join the bandwagon of stupidity and hyprocrisy,where was Ribadu when the PHCN white Elephant project was going on?
where was he when Rufai was selling the Airports and Stadiums?Busy chasing Atiku trying to nail him so Obasanjo could run for third term.
Thank God,he didnt succeed.
Go to the hospitals and u will weep,dirty mops to wipe the floors,the Theatre rooms more or less abbatiors,dirty needles and blood over the floors.
All the while Iyabo and her friends were holding 50 million naira seminars in Ghana.
What about Obasanjo's library project,what about the selling of our national assests to transcorp.How much did Obasanjo leave with,how much did he enter with?
Yes lets sweep that under the carpert because we are too lazy to ask questions.
Visualise chew and ingest,don't swallow everything that has been handed over to you.
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by larez(m): 8:25am On Dec 11, 2008
Unfairness to whom? Unfairness is not celebrating a man who went against the status-quo of accepting bribes for self enrichment while serving the Nation with honour. Unfairness is criticizing him while criminals take-over your Nation and future. Unfairness is stifling growth and breeding poverty and ignorance to aid continuous manipulation and theft. Unfairness is allowing a country with so much post-colonial potential to become a breeding ground for criminal looters. 40 years after independence, we have very intelligent Nigerians taking refuge all over the world due to unlivable conditions spurred by mediocre in power. Singapore is now a 1st world country while Nigeria remains stagnant. Singapore is 40 years independent too.

Back in the 70s Nigerians traveled abroad enjoying respect and dignity everywhere they went, and could obtain Visas at the Airports upon arrival easily. Now we get treated like criminals and suspects at first sight until we prove ourselves worthy of better treatment. Where is our Jerry Rawlings? Guess what? We do not have one, we have Ribadu instead.
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by larez(m): 8:32am On Dec 11, 2008
Ehie:
Sorry, but I see you as the hypocrite here. Where was Ribadu when this or that? He was busy fighting crime and trying to get the ones he had pursued convicted. You should be asking ICPC and the rest of the Police forces where they were. Ribadu was one man with limited staff to pursue every criminal in Nigeria. Where he started, others should have followed. You are only using this as a crutch. It is ridiculous that you will suggest that the very active Ribadu waned in his duties with his track record.
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:32am On Dec 11, 2008
@Larez
u are deluded and in denial.
Rawlings indeed,Ribadu had no ideology,sometimes i wish Obasanjo had won the third term and we would see what side of the mouth most of u would be talking from.
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by larez(m): 8:49am On Dec 11, 2008
No ehie:

I am a realist, and one of the 1st to get online with all my resources to fight Obasanjo's attempt at changing our constitution for self-serving purposes. I could never wish Obasanjo got a 3rd term because our constitution prevents it. This is being grounded in reality. I am also proud that Ribadu put some fear in crooks because it immediately affected Nigeria's credit ratings in the world. This is considered a prelude to economic growth spurred by investor confidence. Ribadu was directly responsible for this. I find it difficult to understand how any Patriotic Nigerian would not appreciate these facts and instead begin to point fingers at the Maverick of crime fighting against the untouchables. You really need to search your soul. You are indeed deluded to be blinded of these facts. Do you need a hug? I'll gladly give you one. tongue
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by thetruth90: 9:02am On Dec 11, 2008
instead of chasing this idiot called ribadu about, i suggest the police should contact the army and seek good advise on how to give him the solomon giwa-amu treatment. that should solve the problem once and for all. grin chikena!
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by sley4life(m): 9:19am On Dec 11, 2008
@thetruth90 u be real bad guy
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by Ikeymann0O: 9:55am On Dec 11, 2008
sley4life:

@thetruth90 u be real bad guy

No , the truth,

You be real dumb-ass.
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by thetruth90: 9:58am On Dec 11, 2008
Ikeymann0O:

No , the truth,

You be real dumb-ass.

your papa
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
ur mama.
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by Olaolufred(m): 10:06am On Dec 11, 2008
So not fighting corruption is better than selectively fighting corruption? Nigerian skewed way of reasoning.

Not fighting corruption is bad. Selectively fighting corruption is bad and wicked.
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by Olaolufred(m): 10:23am On Dec 11, 2008
A RIDDLE 4 FOR ALL.

IF YOU ARE A FATHER, JUDGE THIS.

YOUR SON WAS CAUGHT RAPING AND WAS STONED TO DEATH BY LAW (EFCC)

SOMEONE SON WAS CAUGHT RAPING AND THEY SAY, HE IS A ROYAL LOYALIST.

WILL YOU FEEL WELL AS A FATHER THAT YOUR SON DIED JUSTLY UNDER THE LAW WHEN YOU SEE

THE OTHER CULPRIT FLYING ABOUT IN A PRESIDENTIAL JET?

BODE GOERGE WAS INDICTED BY SAME EFCC THAT INDICTED IBORI AND OTHERS.

IF THE TRIAL OF IBORI IS GOOD, WHY MUST BODE GEORGE'S TRIAL BE POCKETED?

I AM NOT IN SUPPORT OF CORRUPTION, BUT IT PAINS MORE WHEN THERE ARE DOUBLE STANDARDS.
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by Olaolufred(m): 10:29am On Dec 11, 2008
I SUPPORT RIBADU FOR FIGHTING CORRUPTION.

BUT, I HATE DOUBLE STANDARDS.

ANYTHING DONE ON GROUND LESS THAN JUSTICE IS A CHARADE OF INJUSTICE.

IS IT POSSIBLE TO DEFEND JUSTICE BY PERPETRATING INJUSTICE?

NOOOOOOOOOOO.
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by thetruth90: 10:48am On Dec 11, 2008
Olaolufred:

A RIDDLE 4 FOR ALL.

IF YOU ARE A FATHER, JUDGE THIS.

YOUR SON WAS CAUGHT RAPING AND WAS STONED TO DEATH BY LAW (EFCC)

SOMEONE SON WAS CAUGHT RAPING AND THEY SAY, HE IS A ROYAL LOYALIST.

WILL YOU FEEL WELL AS A FATHER THAT YOUR SON DIED JUSTLY UNDER THE LAW WHEN YOU SEE

THE OTHER CULPRIT FLYING ABOUT IN A PRESIDENTIAL JET?

BODE GOERGE WAS INDICTED BY SAME EFCC THAT INDICTED IBORI AND OTHERS.

IF THE TRIAL OF IBORI IS GOOD, WHY MUST BODE GEORGE'S TRIAL BE POCKETED?

I AM NOT IN SUPPORT OF CORRUPTION, BUT IT PAINS MORE WHEN THERE ARE DOUBLE STANDARDS.

Olaolufred:

I SUPPORT RIBADU FOR FIGHTING CORRUPTION.

BUT, I HATE DOUBLE STANDARDS.

ANYTHING DONE ON GROUND LESS THAN JUSTICE IS A CHARADE OF INJUSTICE.

IS IT POSSIBLE TO DEFEND JUSTICE BY PERPETRATING INJUSTICE?

NOOOOOOOOOOO.

thank god for people like you.
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by sley4life(m): 10:57am On Dec 11, 2008
Ikeymann0O:

No ,  the truth,

You be real dumb-ass.

abeg leave the truth with him comment, we no say that no fit happen for 9ja
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by chidichris(m): 11:04am On Dec 11, 2008
am only basing my arguement on the general outcome of his actions on nigeria and nigerians.
one has to look at the end product.
did the war reduce the level of corruption in nigeria or rather increase it?
in his years of fight how many of the national figures was he able to bring down?
we all know the big names and we know how ribadu was with them.
in nigeria, another name for babangida is corruption. we know atiku/obj is equal to corruption. we know bode george and the npa, tony annenih and the federal roads contracts,we know andy uba and his money laundary issues in the usa.
obj was also the oil minister for seven and half years and all these names never mean corruption to saint ribadu.
the only corrupt people in nigeri are alams, kalu and a few others including our cyber boys.
who is orji uzor kalu and what is his relevance in  the nigerian corruption compared to the federal criminals that we all know.
issues are obvious here on selected justice otherwise why was mrs Etteh of house of reps not arrested on the day of her impeachment like was on the day of alamasiya? why was andy uba no humiliated like his co-international criminal alamasiya? why was less than  20% of our past govs charged while over 80% work tall till date? does that make them clean?

ribadu is not different from el-rufai and as soon as he submitts to any authority in nigeria, his sins will be made known to all.
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by thetruth90: 11:29am On Dec 11, 2008
sley4life:

abeg leave the truth with him comment, we no say that no fit happen for Nigeria

i ll see what you will do if it happens. I'm sure you know names like alfred rewane, dele giwa, funso williams, bola ige, ayo daramola, harry marshall, etc. i want to know what you did when they were assassinated, and how many of these murders you have resolved.
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by eleven(m): 11:30am On Dec 11, 2008
chidichris:

am only basing my arguement on the general outcome of his actions on nigeria and nigerians.
one has to look at the end product.
did the war reduce the level of corruption in nigeria or rather increase it?
in his years of fight how many of the national figures was he able to bring down?
we all know the big names and we know how ribadu was with them.
in nigeria, another name for babangida is corruption. we know atiku/obj is equal to corruption. we know bode george and the npa, tony annenih and the federal roads contracts,we know andy uba and his money laundary issues in the usa.
obj was also the oil minister for seven and half years and all these names never mean corruption to saint ribadu.
the only corrupt people in nigeri are alams, kalu and a few others including our cyber boys.
who is orji uzor kalu and what is his relevance in  the nigerian corruption compared to the federal criminals that we all know.
issues are obvious here on selected justice otherwise why was mrs Etteh of house of reps not arrested on the day of her impeachment like was on the day of alamasiya? why was andy uba no humiliated like his co-international criminal alamasiya? why was less than  20% of our past govs charged while over 80% work tall till date? does that make them clean?

ribadu is not different from el-rufai and as soon as he submitts to any authority in nigeria, his sins will be made known to all.

Please come to Aba, you will understand who the Bastard is and his relevance to corruption including his propaganda newspaper "the stinking SUN"
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by eleven(m): 12:02pm On Dec 11, 2008
NLC warns Yar'Adua on Ribadu

Written by Funmi Komolafe    
Thursday, 11 December 2008
Page 1 of 3
*As the President seeks removal of immunity clause

THE Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) deplored yesterday the treatment being meted to the former chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, warning that it could undermine commitment and determination of other public officials to serve government.

The union sent a letter of protest to President Umaru Yar’Adua on the situation, saying  Ribadu's ill-treatment called to question the committment of the Federal Government to anti-corruption, good governance and the rule of law.

NLC in the letter signed by its acting president, Comrade Peters Adeyemi, and General Secretary, John Odah, said government’s handling of the former EFCC chairman's case, “has many implications for the anti-corruption stand of your administration and the promise of good governance based on rule of law which your government has declared to be committed.”

However, President Yar’Adua at the launch of a fresh initiative in the war against corruption tagged Anti-Corruption Revolution (ANCOR) called for the removal of the immunity clause from the constitution.

The NLC in its letter said: “The case of Ribadu as currently being handled will undermine commitment and determination of other public officials to serve government if the message being sent is that you are establishing a precedence that government cannot protect public servants who served it.

This in particular will demoralise officers of the EFCC and other anti-corruption agencies. Secondly, the persecution of Ribadu will embolden corrupt public officials knowing that the EFCC has been demoralised. This will have serious implication on the prospect of good governance in the country.”

Recalling that Ribadu was appointed by former President Obasanjo at a time that “declaration to fight corruption was popularly accepted by our citizens," it said the appointment endeared the regime to the popular imagination of Nigerians. "In those early years, he (Ribadu) demonstrated a rare courage and determination to track down corrupt people and practices in the country.

He was successful in de-mystifying the criminal elements who took the nation hostage, economically and politically. To his credit, the fear of the EFCC became the beginning of wisdom,” it said.

NLC said although public officers had continued to steal in office, they did not do with impunity during the Ribadu years.

It said with the unfortunate handling of Mr. Ribadu’s affairs by the government, “there will be the inevitable perception by the public that this government is ready to aid suspected corrupt politicians to punish those who have fought against corruption.”

Admitting that the EFCC under Ribadu had its excesses, the NLC wrote: “In the process, Nuhu Ribadu and the EFCC under him might have made mistakes. Some of these mistakes were considered to include his penchant to dispense with due process in his pursuit of suspected criminals, his disregard of court ruling, and his willingness to allow himself and the EFCC to be used as a tool for political witch hunting.

“No doubt, some of these mistakes, indeed excesses, were the result of both personal shortcomings of Ribadu and the institutional weaknesses of the EFCC. These were the weaknesses the former President might have exploited in his political battles,” NLC said.

NLC drew the attention of President Yar’Adua to Mr. Ribadu case against the police authorities. “Given that the case is before a law court, we believe that what the police need to do in the circumstances is to allow the court processes to be completed especially as the court will give the Police Service Commission an opportunity to hear its arguments on its action,” it said.

“Since the recall of Ribadu from the EFCC and the appointment of a new Chairman for the anti-corruption body, Ribadu himself has become a subject of what many Nigerians rightly or wrongly perceive as a backlash by some of the politicians who were at the receiving end of Nuhu Ribadu’s anti-corruption crusade. Among the instances of perceived persecution was the nullification of his promotion to the position of Assistant Inspector-General (AIG), which was reversed to Deputy Commissioner of Police.

“Secondly, there was the attempt to throw him out of the National Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies (NIPSS) where he was officially sent on course. This was followed by his forceful physical prevention from graduating.

“Now, his latest trouble is that he is facing a Disciplinary Commission of the police for going to court for what he perceived as unfair action of the Police Service Commission in demoting him. “Unfortunately, as the case is now, government will find it difficult to explain to the Nigerian public that it is not being used in the backlash against Ribadu.

While the public is willing and has in fact accepted many of the mistakes of the EFCC under Ribadu, they are not willing to accept that what is happening now is not a fight back against Ribadu by many of the politicians who have been exposed as corrupt, but have now found themselves back in government, either directly or by proxy.

“On the basis of the above, the NLC is firmly of the view that this development is not in the interest of government nor in the government’s long term commitment to fight corruption in the country. For this reason, therefore, we call on Your Excellency to intervene and let Ribadu be,” the NLC said

Yar’Adua seeks removal of immunity

And flagging off the launch of the Anti-Corruption Revolution (ANCOR) by the EFCC in Abuja yesterday, the President said the immunity clause which shields  the President, Vice-President, Governors, Deputy Governors, from prosecution for any act of  corruption while in office, had become a cover for non-performance, ineptitude and corrupt practices.

He, therefore, called on the National Assembly to expunge the clause from the constitution to save the nation some excesses that may emanate from the continued observance of  the clause in the constitution.

“Some of the steps and measures we may have to take in order to entrench the fight against corruption is to look at some of our laws. I want today to call for the abrogation of the constitutional provision of the immunity clause for President, Vice President, Governors and Deputy Governors,” the President said.

The President lamented that “corruption in Nigeria is a major problem. Corruption is endemic in this country. There is absolutely no way this nation can achieve it potential unless this challenge is confronted frontally  by all Nigerians.”

He commended the EFCC for coming up with the ANCOR initiative but tasked it to be unsparing in its dealing with corrupt government and non-government officials.

“I want to remind the EFCC that you must be ruthless, totally energetic in the pursuit of corrupt officials: prosecuting them and sanctioning them and bringing them to justice,” he stressed. 

He also promised government’s commitment to strengthening all anti-corruption agencies in a bid to drive home the lessons of zero tolerance for corruption on Nigerians.

Some state governors that graced the occasion were unanimous in their support for the abrogation of the immunity clause.

Governor Aliyu Babangida of Niger State said the President’s call came at the right time in the life of the nation when the people needed accountable and responsible leaders at all tiers of government.

Chairman of the  EFCC, Mrs Farida Waziri, on the occasion said: “The challenges that confront us today in the fight against corruption can only be overcome by a simultaneous and coordinated big push by the people.

They are the direct victims but many are nevertheless ignorant and often enlisted to defend their real enemy, the corrupt.”

Source:http://www.vanguardngr.com/content/view/23891/41/
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by EeCee: 12:07pm On Dec 11, 2008
se e no reach make the man flee?
Re: Ribadu Flees Nigeria? by eleven(m): 12:07pm On Dec 11, 2008
Waziri and EFCC’s $6.5bn

By Agency Reporter
Published: Thursday, 11 Dec 2008

Of recent, the EFCC’s boss, Mrs. Farida Waziri, has been celebrating that the anti-graft agency has recovered $6.5bn. What she has failed to reveal is the fact that the celebrated amount was recovered during the tenure of her predecessor, Malam Nuhu Ribadu, who is now being vilified.

If there is a need to discuss the achievement of the anti-graft body, Waziri should limit her claims to what the commission has achieved under her supervision.

While the world awaits the final word on the case of missing files of governors who were indicted during Ribadu’s era at the EFCC, the commission’s helmswoman is busy going after petty felons while big- time crooks move about unrestricted.

Source: http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200812115322778

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Reps Want Adeosun, Emefiele To Resign / Northern CAN Reaffirms Opposition To APC's Muslim-Muslim Ticket / Ugwuanyi Inaugurates New Enugu State Multi-Door Courthouse Building

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.