Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,807 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:51 AM

My Thoughts And Questions About Religion - Religion (107) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Thoughts And Questions About Religion (230691 Views)

Questions About Religion For The Deep Thinker / Why Are Atheists Always Talking About Religion / Questions About Demon Possession - Nairaland Demonology Experts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (104) (105) (106) (107) (108) (109) (110) ... (130) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:27am On Aug 15, 2019
Harris Ahmad wrote:

I was born and raised in a very religious home. I went to Islamic schools and studied under scholars like Sheikh Abdallah Usman Gadon-Kaya, Sheikh Rabiu Umar Rijiyar Lemo and late Sheikh Jafar Mahmud Adam (to name a few). But becoming an Atheist is probably the best thing that has ever happened to me because of these reasons:

1. I now respect people based on their character not their religious belief or race.

2. Darkness doesn’t terrify me now because I know there are no demons or spirits (Jinns) lurking there to hurt or possess me.

3. I no longer fear death – but I’m in no hurry to die - I just don’t lose sleep over it as I used to do when I was a Muslim because I fear grave questioning and the day of judgment.

4. I am more tolerant of people who follow other religions, which led me to meeting and becoming friends with Christians, Jews, Hindus as well as fellow Atheists and Agnostics.

5. I no longer hate homosexuals because now I know (through science) that being gay isn’t a bad thing or a choice, but a perfectly natural thing as many other animals such as Chimpanzees, Dogs, Ostriches, Fence Lizards, Graylag Geese and many more display homosexual behaviors.

6. I now do good like helping those that have less than me for the sake of it not for the hope of divine reward or fear of divine punishment.

7. I am truly happy now and I appreciate Mother Nature even more than I used to when I was religious.

11 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by visita: 12:36pm On Aug 15, 2019
It's amazing how I stopped fearing the dark after I became an atheist.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by budaatum: 12:57pm On Aug 15, 2019
Is it not written that those with God are not meant to fear "darkness"? You might want to consider that it was your understanding or your teacher that was in error.

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Swissh: 1:19pm On Aug 15, 2019
The bible is evidence of a god.” Saying that the bible is evidence of god, is like saying that the Charles Darwin book, Origin of Species, is evidence for evolution. It’s not. A book is never evidence. It may point out the evidence and explain how it got there, (which the bible fails to do) but it’s not evidence.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:16pm On Aug 19, 2019
THE ARGUMENT MUSLIMS & CHRISTIANS AGREE ON (AND BOTH GET WRONG)

A Muslim recently told me why he believes God exists. He used a very common argument that is also used by Christians so I thought it worthwhile giving a full rebuttal. Here it is:

It's good to see you have thought about this a little bit but you have not thought about it a lot.

I can say this with confidence because your argument uses common logical fallacies and at least one assumption that is most likely wrong. Once you eliminate these errors, your argument disappears.

You said, "Can this universe just spring out of nothing without a source?"

Firstly, we don't know the universe did spring out of nothing. There are very good reasons to believe that the universe began to expand about 13.8 billion years ago. But we don't know what triggered the expansion nor do we know what existed prior to the expansion. However, there is no reason to believe nothing existed prior to the expansion--this is an unwarranted assumption.

You said, "I believe the Energy that started everything, and is everything, is God."

OK but that is just a belief. You do not know that it is true--you don't even know that God exists to start everything. So this is your second problem--you just assume what happened and who was responsible and there is no reason to believe your assumptions are true. You need to prove God exists before it makes sense to even suggest this. Assuming what you are trying to prove (that God exists), is the fallacy of circular reasoning and it renders your argument invalid.

Essentially your argument is, I can't see any way the universe we see today could have come to exist without a supernatural power, therefore a supernatural power must exist. This is an example of the argument from ignorance fallacy. Just because you can't see a way this could have happened does not mean a supernatural power either exists or was involved.

You don't know everything, and even if no one alive today knows how the universe could have come about, it does not mean no one will ever know. Do you know every explanation science will ever propose for this in, say, the next 10,000 years? No, of course, you don't, which is why your argument is invalid.

Your argument is already deceased but you have made yet one more error, so I'll mention it for completeness. As a Muslim, you believe in a god first introduced to the world by Abraham. This is one of the thousands of gods that men have worshipped. This god could have revealed itself to Abraham or it could be one of the thousands of fictional gods that men have made up. Can you prove Abraham's god was not invented? I don't think you can but feel free to try.

So, even if a supernatural power was responsible, you don't know which power was responsible. It could even have been a god that has never revealed itself to mankind and it could be that ALL human gods were invented by humans. You are just assuming that if a god was involved, it was Abraham's god. Such an assumption is just a baseless opinion.

With such a combination of fallacies and unwarranted assumptions, your argument is completely worthless. If this is why you believe your god exists, I suggest you stop believing it because believing things for bad reasons is definitely not smart.

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 12:47pm On Aug 20, 2019
WHEN ABIGAIL MET AHMED

One afternoon Abigail met Ahmed at an eatery. They discussed their religions over some chicken and chips.

It turns out Abigail is absolutely, 100% certain that Jesus is the son of God. Ahmed is absolutely, 100% certain there is only one God and he never had a son. They can't both be right.

But they both learned something that afternoon. You can be absolutely, 100% certain about something and still be dead wrong. And they learned certainty is unhelpful--once you are certain, you disregard new evidence, and only take account of evidence that supports your view. They realised that being certain boxes you into a view that may be completely wrong. Who wants that?

And finally, it occurred to them that there is little or nothing you can be certain about--there is always the possibility of falsifying evidence cropping up. So certainty almost never makes sense. People who claim certainty are not showing their knowledge, they are showing their ignorance.

They said their goodbyes both feeling better than they had for a long time. Now they could think anything and explore everything.

It was like being released from prison.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 6:43am On Aug 22, 2019
ABSOLUTE PROOF OF CREATIONISM

Yesterday, Professor Ap' Cryphal, the lead archeologist digging at a location outside of Basra, Iraq announced a discovery that will stun the world. The secret dig, involving more than 250 archeologists and scientists over 20 years, has finally found what millions have long expected.

Dated from almost 10,000 years ago, the team has unearthed a rich seam of bones, fossils, and timbers. They have found every life form known to man, including thousands of extinct species. The list of finds includes prokaryotic and eukaryotic bacteria, fish, amphibians, plants, tree, insects, reptiles, birds and mammals.

A rich array of mammals has been found including primates and Hominidae.

Two finds particularly stand out and cast grave doubt on modern theories of evolution. The first is a fully-human, adult femur and cranium that experts say must be from a human male exceeding 2.4 meters (8.5 feet) tall.

The second is a range of bones that have been positively identified as coming from Deinonychus, Apatosaurus and Tyrannosaurus rex. Astonishingly, the well-preserved T rex jawbone shows not the sharp teeth of a carnivore but the blunt grinding teeth of a vegetarian.

Dating shows that all these specimens were laid down within a period of 1,000 years from 9,600 years ago. Finds stop abruptly at this point--no life at all can be found earlier than this. Professor Cryphal's final words will echo throughout history. He said, "This site conclusively proves that evolutionary theory is false. But this find does not just move science forward, it proves something else as well. We have found the Garden of Eden. We have proved Genesis is true."

Of course, this story is fiction. It never happened but, if creationism were true, sites somewhat like this would be found all over the world. In fact, we have never, ever found such a site. Everything we find shows a gradual evolution of species over billions of years.

Everything we have found shows Biblical creation to be false.

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 6:51am On Aug 22, 2019
joseph1013:
ABSOLUTE PROOF OF CREATIONISM

Yesterday, Professor Ap' Cryphal, the lead archeologist digging at a location outside of Basra, Iraq announced a discovery that will stun the world. The secret dig, involving more than 250 archeologists and scientists over 20 years, has finally found what millions have long expected.

Dated from almost 10,000 years ago, the team has unearthed a rich seam of bones, fossils, and timbers. They have found every life form known to man, including thousands of extinct species. The list of finds includes prokaryotic and eukaryotic bacteria, fish, amphibians, plants, tree, insects, reptiles, birds and mammals.

A rich array of mammals has been found including primates and Hominidae.

Two finds particularly stand out and cast grave doubt on modern theories of evolution. The first is a fully-human, adult femur and cranium that experts say must be from a human male exceeding 2.4 meters (8.5 feet) tall.

The second is a range of bones that have been positively identified as coming from Deinonychus, Apatosaurus and Tyrannosaurus rex. Astonishingly, the well-preserved T rex jawbone shows not the sharp teeth of a carnivore but the blunt grinding teeth of a vegetarian.

Dating shows that all these specimens were laid down within a period of 1,000 years from 9,600 years ago. Finds stop abruptly at this point--no life at all can be found earlier than this. Professor Cryphal's final words will echo throughout history. He said, "This site conclusively proves that evolutionary theory is false. But this find does not just move science forward, it proves something else as well. We have found the Garden of Eden. We have proved Genesis is true."

Of course, this story is fiction. It never happened but, if creationism were true, sites somewhat like this would be found all over the world. In fact, we have never, ever found such a site. Everything we find shows a gradual evolution of species over billions of years.

Everything we have found shows Biblical creation to be false.

I won't be surprised if some creationist in over excitement takes this story and runs with it. They are fond of fables.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by CAPSLOCKED: 10:03pm On Aug 22, 2019
THE FUNNIEST THING YOU'LL SEE THIS WEEKEND!

9 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 11:13pm On Aug 22, 2019
CAPSLOCKED:
THE FUNNIEST THING YOU'LL SEE THIS WEEKEND!

Bwahahahahahahahahaha!
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 5:34pm On Aug 26, 2019
When someone's late, at what point do you decide he's not going to show up:

2 days, 2 years, 20 years

200 years, or 2,000 years?

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 4:24pm On Aug 27, 2019
THE IMPORTANCE OF CONTEXT

We are frequently told not to read scripture out of context, and that's fair enough--it could lead to misinterpretation. But I sometimes wonder if that complaint is used to conceal scriptural flaws that cannot be explained in any reasonable way. Take, for example, Matthew 16:28:

"Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His Kingdom."

If read in context, could this really mean?

"Truly I tell you, the great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great grandchildren* of some who are standing here will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His Kingdom."

Could this have been what Jesus REALLY meant? I don't think so!

______
*To save you working it out, that's 80 generations

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 2:25pm On Aug 31, 2019
GOD, AS GOOD AS DEAD

Billions of god-believers have had thousands for years to come up with valid reasons for believing their god(s) are real. Not one valid reason to believe in any god has yet appeared despite thousands of attempts to find one.

This is why not believing in a god is the most intellectually robust and unequivocally honest position to hold. And why believing in a god is neither intellectually sound nor honest.

With such an abysmal track record, the chances of anyone discovering a good reason to believe in any known god are now vanishingly small.

So we can reasonably consider God as good as dead.

RIP

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by budaatum: 6:17pm On Aug 31, 2019
joseph1013:

This is why not believing in a god is the most intellectually robust and unequivocally honest position to hold. And why believing in a god is neither intellectually sound nor honest.
Believing and not believing in a god are actually both neither intellectually sound nor honest, unless one were using the word "believe" to denote "not exactly knowing". One can after all believe or not believe whatever pleases one but neither has any bearing on reality.

I can understand the believer in God however, for they are saying they know not, even if they do not realise that is what they mean. But I can't say I understand an atheist who claims to believe there are no gods. My opinion is that they are intellectually unsound and dishonest, and lazy too, because, if they had truly checked and found there to be no gods, they would not believe there are no gods, but know there are no gods.

"Believing in a god", however is of a different order, I would have thought. To start with, asking an atheist who has bothered to check and found no god to believe in god would be like asking one to believe in the spending.power of a non-existing million pounds, which I must admit would be absurd for "the most intellectually robust and unequivocally honest [person] to hold”. Though, one must ask if they know what is meant by the word "god", to begin with, because the intellectually robust and unequivocally honest would have begun with a definition of terms.

So let me help.

To Believe is to not exactly know but choose to accept as true the unfounded crap one makes up in ones head.

To not believe is to not exactly know but refuse not to accept as true unfounded crap others make up in their own heads.

God, well, that's really a word with no exact meaning in the wider sense, but which is narrowed down by where one stands.

And atheist [ought to] mean the crap made up in heads is crap, who one would expect them not to believe, but to have honestly checked the evidence so they actually know, and if they haven't, they are just as intellectually dishonest and not robust as the theist who merely believes as equally as they seem to disbelieve.

Those who are intellectually robust and unequivocally honest do not believe or disbelieve because they would have checked and would know.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 10:44am On Sep 01, 2019
budaatum:

Believing and not believing in a god are actually both neither intellectually sound nor honest, unless one were using the word "believe" to denote "not exactly knowing". One can after all believe or not believe whatever pleases one but neither has any bearing on reality.

I can understand the believer in God however, for they are saying they know not, even if they do not realise that is what they mean. But I can't say I understand an atheist who claims to believe there are no gods. My opinion is that they are intellectually unsound and dishonest, and lazy too, because, if they had truly checked and found there to be no gods, they would not believe there are no gods, but know there are no gods.

"Believing in a god", however is of a different order, I would have thought. To start with, asking an atheist who has bothered to check and found no god to believe in god would be like asking one to believe in the spending.power of a non-existing million pounds, which I must admit would be absurd for "the most intellectually robust and unequivocally honest [person] to hold”. Though, one must ask if they know what is meant by the word "god", to begin with, because the intellectually robust and unequivocally honest would have begun with a definition of terms.

So let me help.

To Believe is to not exactly know but choose to accept as true the unfounded crap one makes up in ones head.

To not believe is to not exactly know but refuse not to accept as true unfounded crap others make up in their own heads.

God, well, that's really a word with no exact meaning in the wider sense, but which is narrowed down by where one stands.

And atheist [ought to] mean the crap made up in heads is crap, who one would expect them not to believe, but to have honestly checked the evidence so they actually know, and if they haven't, they are just as intellectually dishonest and not robust as the theist who merely believes as equally as they seem to disbelieve.

Those who are intellectually robust and unequivocally honest do not believe or disbelieve because they would have checked and would know.

LOL.

You have created a strawman and built a mansion with it.

To make it easy for you: You believe in a phone that cooks. I ask for evidence, but you can't produce it.

I say, for lack of evidence, it is intellectually robust and unequivocally honest to disbelieve in a phone that cooks.

How difficult is this?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by budaatum: 2:08pm On Sep 01, 2019
joseph1013:

LOL.

You have created a strawman and built a mansion with it.

To make it easy for you: You believe in a phone that cooks. I ask for evidence, but you can't produce it.

I say, for lack of evidence, it is intellectually robust and unequivocally honest to disbelieve in a phone that cooks.

How difficult is this?

I do like the condescension. It shows what you think of my intellectual capacity.

If I create crap in my head called a phone that cooks, and cannot provide evidence for it yet ask you to believe such a phone exists, then I am intellectually lazy and unequivocally dishonest and you must treat me with the contempt that I deserve for believeng it myself if I say I do, and moreso for asking you to believe my crap without providing evidence so you may know instead. For as you say, "for lack of evidence, it is intellectually robust and unequivocally honest to disbelieve in a phone that cooks", though, I, being a sceptical person, would check first. Someone might have somewhere welded a cooker to a phone.

The only reason I can believe or disbelieve in the existence of phones that make calls, even, is because of my ignorance about phones that make calls. If I were not ignorant about phones that make calls I would know about phones that make calls instead of ignorantly believing or disbelieving whatever it is about phones that make calls that I believe or disbelieve.

Theists (who predominantly happen to be believers, and not knowers and understanders) are not intellectually robust and unequivocally honest and neither are their counterpart atheists who disbelieve gods exist or believe gods don't exist. There is quite a lot of 'evidence' out there about gods and for the existence or lack of existence of gods, so atheism and theism, in my opinion, is, or rather, should not be about "evidence", unless we mean a lazy person who has not bothered to check (and consider) the available evidence. It is also very lazy to believe or disbelieve the available or lack of available evidence once checked, in my opinion, instead of attempting to understand what the evidence or lack of evidence might mean or imply.

The intellectually robust and unequivocally honest ought to know either way and understand, instead of believing or disbelieving the crap they think up in their own heads, is my point, and if I were to ask you to believe or disbelieve anything at all, then I am intellectually lazy and unequivocally dishonest and would be insulting your intelligence and you must treat me with the contempt that I deserve for believing or not believing it myself and moreso for attempting to make you ignorant and dishonest like I would have been being myself.

It is the religious education most get that allows them to use words like believe and disbelieve, is the point I'm making here. Intellectually robust and unequivocally honest people ought to know, either way, instead of believing and or disbelieving. Or does one believe or disbelieve or know or not know about Pythagoras and his theorem, and would the use of either of those words say nothing about the one who used it?

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by TheEminentLaity: 8:11pm On Sep 01, 2019
Most atheists are agnostic in the real sense because they cannot also disprove the existence of gods, neither are they absolutely certain that there are no gods (depending on how it is defined). The dogmatic atheist is just plain silly and is little to no different from the religious fundamentalist, except that he does not attach the religious hocus pocus to his modus operandi.

In agreement, saying 'I believe there is(are) no god(s)' is equivalent to 'I believe in God/Allah/Jesus etc' and the truth is, in a free society everyone is at liberty to believe in whatever concept they wish, concocted or peer-reviewed. Besides, Believe has a connotation of bias associated with it and is thus antithetical to intellectual robustness.

But, you must also understand that all knowledge is still based on probability and averages to ascertain its veracity. So knowing that there is or there is not usually does not connote absolute certainty. We know that gravitational field acceleration therefore we can determine how fast or slow and the time an object would hit the ground when released from a height. But even so, these are approximations. Do they work? Yes but are approximations nonetheless.

budaatum:

I do like the condescension. It shows what you think of my intellectual capacity.

If I create crap in my head called a phone that cooks, and cannot provide evidence for it yet ask you to believe such a phone exists, then I am intellectually lazy and unequivocally dishonest and you must treat me with the contempt that I deserve for believeng it myself if I say I do, and moreso for asking you to believe my crap without providing evidence so you may know instead. For as you say, "for lack of evidence, it is intellectually robust and unequivocally honest to disbelieve in a phone that cooks", though, I, being a sceptical person, would check first. Someone might have somewhere welded a cooker to a phone.

The only reason I can believe or disbelieve in the existence of phones that make calls, even, is because of my ignorance about phones that make calls. If I were not ignorant about phones that make calls I would know about phones that make calls instead of ignorantly believing or disbelieving whatever it is about phones that make calls that I believe or disbelieve.

Theists (who predominantly happen to be believers, and not knowers and understanders) are not intellectually robust and unequivocally honest and neither are their counterpart atheists who disbelieve gods exist or believe gods don't exist. There is quite a lot of 'evidence' out there about gods and for the existence or lack of existence of gods, so atheism and theism, in my opinion, is, or rather, should not be about "evidence", unless we mean a lazy person who has not bothered to check (and consider) the available evidence. It is also very lazy to believe or disbelieve the available or lack of available evidence once checked, in my opinion, instead of attempting to understand what the evidence or lack of evidence might mean or imply.

The intellectually robust and unequivocally honest ought to know either way and understand, instead of believing or disbelieving the crap they think up in their own heads, is my point, and if I were to ask you to believe or disbelieve anything at all, then I am intellectually lazy and unequivocally dishonest and would be insulting your intelligence and you must treat me with the contempt that I deserve for believing or not believing it myself and moreso for attempting to make you ignorant and dishonest like I would have been being myself.

It is the religious education most get that allows them to use words like believe and disbelieve, is the point I'm making here. Intellectually robust and unequivocally honest people ought to know, either way, instead of believing and or disbelieving. Or does one believe or disbelieve or know or not know about Pythagoras and his theorem, and would the use of either of those words say nothing about the one who used it?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 2:35pm On Sep 02, 2019
budaatum:

Again, much ado about nothing.

Too many people seem to have issues with expressing their thoughts simply.

You say there is quite a lot of 'evidence' out there about gods.... Can you provide these?

It's also interesting how you keep keeping up with this strawman. You seem to have a penchant for creating your own argument and running with it.

The Christian proclaims Yahweh exist. The Muslim proclaims Allah exists. We request for evidence. They don't provide. We say it is intellectually sound to reject these claims. You turn up to say it is not good enough.

Perhaps it is because you don't know the meaning of the words you use.

A quick look at the DISBELIEF in the dictionary shows,

"inability or refusal to accept that something is true or real."

Disbelief is not necessarily in the business of searching or knowing. It is about considering the evidence or lack of evidence brought forward.

But then, we have you to obfuscate issues.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by budaatum: 4:07pm On Sep 02, 2019
joseph1013:

Again, much ado about nothing.

Too many people seem to have issues with expressing their thoughts simply.

You say there is quite a lot of 'evidence' out there about gods.... Can you provide these?

It's also interesting how you keep keeping up with this strawman. You seem to have a penchant for creating your own argument and running with it.

The Christian proclaims Yahweh exist. The Muslim proclaims Allah exists. We request for evidence. They don't provide. We say it is intellectually sound to reject these claims. You turn up to say it is not good enough.

Perhaps it is because you don't know the meaning of the words you use.

A quick look at the DISBELIEF in the dictionary shows,

"inability or refusal to accept that something is true or real."

Disbelief is not necessarily in the business of searching or knowing. It is about considering the evidence or lack of evidence brought forward.

But then, we have you to obfuscate issues.
The evidence for gods (not existence, mind), is the vast amount of written word that exists on the topic. It's probably insufficient for you if you expect physical material evidence that you can weigh and measure. The tortoise and the hare in Aesop Fables does not exist, yet we learn quite a lot from the fables about them. Philosophy too cannot be measured or weighed, yet no sane person would claim philosophy does not exist.

"Disbelief (and belief) is not at all in the business of searching or knowing". It is about making things up in ones head usually with very little attempt to understand before believing or disbelieving it, and is what I've called "intellectually lazy and unequivocally dishonest". An "intellectually robust and unequivocally honest" person would first seek an understanding of what is meant instead of discarding it as you are so swift to do. It is afterall in no way intellectually sound to reject (or accept) claims one does not understand. And asking 'Christians' and 'Muslims', who can only proclaim what they believe, is like asking random people in the street about calculus. But then, your question is about "exist", so you're probably asking the right people. You'd go elsewhere if you were seeking to understand.

As to straw, I'm relying on the fact that unlike your belief about me, you yourself "know the meaning of the words you use". If you did, you'd see this thread is all about strawmanning, as in stating the beliefs of some and equating it to the understanding of all then whacking it all down. Nowhere have I found you seeking to understand the obfuscated complex issue called gods which have existed even since humans have reflected.

And yes, "not good enough" for someone of your intellectual ability. Though I confess that's just a belief of mine.

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 5:17pm On Sep 02, 2019
budaatum:

The evidence for gods (not existence, mind), is the vast amount of written word that exists on the topic. It's probably insufficient for you if you expect physical material evidence that you can weigh and measure. The tortoise and the hare in Aesop Fables does not exist, yet we learn quite a lot from the fables about them. Philosophy too cannot be measured or weighed, yet no sane person would claim philosophy does not exist.

"Disbelief (and belief) is not at all in the business of searching or knowing". It is about making things up in ones head usually with very little attempt to understand before believing or disbelieving it, and is what I've called "intellectually lazy and unequivocally dishonest". An "intellectually robust and unequivocally honest" person would first seek an understanding of what is meant instead of discarding it as you are so swift to do. It is afterall in no way intellectually sound to reject (or accept) claims one does not understand. And asking 'Christians' and 'Muslims', who can only proclaim what they believe, is like asking random people in the street about calculus. But then, your question is about "exist", so you're probably asking the right people. You'd go elsewhere if you were seeking to understand.

As to straw, I'm relying on the fact that unlike your belief about me, you yourself "know the meaning of the words you use". If you did, you'd see this thread is all about strawmanning, as in stating the beliefs of some and equating it to the understanding of all then whacking it all down. Nowhere have I found you seeking to understand the obfuscated complex issue called gods which have existed even since humans have reflected.

And yes, "not good enough" for someone of your intellectual ability. Though I confess that's just a belief of mine.

You use words flippantly.

How can evidence be about how much has been written about a subject. Does the fact that there is an avalanche of material about the flat earth theory show that it exists? Does the oral tradition of twins being witches prove that twins are evil?

You equate the fable of tortoise and hare with the Bible yet its adherents do not see it as so. So what's your point?

Your insertion of philosophy into the discussion is laughable. Another strawman. No one says religion does not exists. What is under scrutiny are the elements therein - gods, spirits, devils...

If you choose to treat them as figurative expressions, you are welcome. Revisionism is all religion has been reduced to anyway.

Belief is about knowing for religionists. They KNOW that Allah exists. They KNOW that Christ was crucified to save you from hell. They know that nothing you do on earth is good enough if you are not a christian like them. Some of them KNOW that blood transfusion is unacceptable.

You have said so much about the complex issue of god but said nothing about them. Is this a gerrymandering exercise?

I have met people like you whose understanding and acceptance of gods is nothing like the accepted dictionary definition, but rather a philosophical twisting of words.

What they do not put on the table is tangible evidence of what they proclaim. I do not pretend to be surprised by it all.

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 6:46pm On Sep 02, 2019
joseph1013:
WISDOM FROM THE BIBLE

The Bible was inspired by God himself, so we can expect to find much wisdom within its weighty pages. Here are some things we've learnt from it:

Holding people as slaves is ok. So is passing your slaves to your children when you die. You can also sell your daughters as slaves with God's blessing.

Beating your slaves, even if you kill them is ok too, so long as they live for a few days after the beating. It's only fair, after all, they are your property.

Raping a virgin girl is a crime. But it's not a crime against the victim, it's a crime against her father because her value will be diminished if she's not a virgin.

The best way to punish a man who rapes an unmarried girl is to have him pay her father compensation, force him to marry the girl and never allow him to divorce her. That will teach him.

A bride who is thought not to be a virgin on her wedding night should be stoned to death. Obviously.

The Earth was created before the stars. Stars are lights in a dome covering the Earth. The dome has water above it with windows that open to allow it to rain. Suck on that science!

These are all things we learnt from the Bible... but had to unlearn. And there is much, much more where that came from.

Wisdom from the Bible is hard to find, but utter nonsense and appalling moral values are easy.
Wisdom from the Bible ?

Wisdom from the Bible is hard to find ?

But utter nonsense & appalling moral value is easy to find ?
Are those things you listed in anyway wisdom ?
Especially my last question, instruction & wisdoms are totally different thing.

And hypocritical enough,you listed non of those bible passage about wisdom & understanding.

What's the greatest commandment in the Bible ?
Love .
If you genuinely love your neigbor as you love yourself, will you still practice the above ?
Those are instruction laid down ,waiting for a better convenant is Christ Jesus .
And funny enough,you have been interpretating most Bible verses very very awful.
If you study the book of isaiah you will know better about God's original vision for man & a better convenant He was preparing for humanity.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 7:10pm On Sep 02, 2019
Amujale:
Abrahamic religions are all false, fake and counterintuitive.

Are you done ?
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 5:32pm On Sep 03, 2019
When theists say atheists are close-minded, remind them almost ALL atheists have changed their minds, but almost NO theists have.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 5:48pm On Sep 03, 2019
joseph1013:
When theists say atheists are close-minded, remind them almost ALL atheists have changed their minds, but almost NO theists have.

Huh? Are you forgetting conversions?
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 6:33pm On Sep 03, 2019
LordReed:

Huh? Are you forgetting conversions?

Now, you have a point; you're right.

Still, the point of the post stands about atheists being close-minded.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Amujale(m): 10:48am On Sep 04, 2019
Just to be clear, i'm not here to blame the loveable, virtuous Christians or Muslims amongst us.

Trust me, a book with a thousand pages wouldnt contain the amount of genuinely nice, ethical and morally correct people that are known to me as adherents of the above faiths.

Ignorance isnt a crime or a fault on its own accord, yet, once one is able to perceive truth, then ignorance cannot be used as an excuse anymore.

Yet, the notion that the Jesus is a real and genuine person is false.

The Romans manufactured Christianity and invented all their characters out of the plagerisation of older religious characters and concepts from all around the globe.

The Muhamnedian movement manufactured Islam and invented their characters out of the same plagerisation of older religious characters as the Romans, as a result of Roman philosophical domination of West Asia at the time.

Keep our virtuousness, get rid of the negative impact from all the Abrahamic religions.

Relative to our recent history, it makes no sense whatsoever for an African to be worshiping or honouring anything coming out of either West Asia or Europe.

Lets take a look at a hyperthetical scenario below:

An armed robber loots belongings at the dead of night and returns the next morning preaching some goblydegook about how to become a virtuous human being.

For me, i would shoot the returning armed robber first and ask questions later. Never in a million years would i be willing to listen to his/her mumbojumbo about anything until my belongings are fully recovered.

Even after assuming the ability to succesfully recover ones's belongings, it would be counterintuitive and outrightly wrong to then be sourcing any sort of moral or ethical expeditions from such a thieving character.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Amujale(m): 10:59am On Sep 04, 2019
If religion means Abrahamic religions, then religion is bad and should be banned anywhere on the African continent.

On the other hand, if religion means the experiencing, aspiring and working towards virtuousness; an attempt to attain a high moral and ethical standard, then religion is a nice and cool invention.

Religion is supposed to make us relative to virtuousness.

Virtue is a nice and fun quality to have.

All the authors of Abrahamic religious text are untustworthy, dubious, liars and fakers; and are never the virtuous type.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Amujale(m): 11:04am On Sep 04, 2019
All the Abrahamic religions are a sham.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by budaatum: 12:34pm On Sep 04, 2019
joseph1013:

You use words flippantly.

How can evidence be about how much has been written about a subject. Does the fact that there is an avalanche of material about the flat earth theory show that it exists? Does the oral tradition of twins being witches prove that twins are evil?

You equate the fable of tortoise and hare with the Bible yet its adherents do not see it as so. So what's your point?

Your insertion of philosophy into the discussion is laughable. Another strawman. No one says religion does not exists. What is under scrutiny are the elements therein - gods, spirits, devils...

If you choose to treat them as figurative expressions, you are welcome. Revisionism is all religion has been reduced to anyway.

Belief is about knowing for religionists. They KNOW that Allah exists. They KNOW that Christ was crucified to save you from hell. They know that nothing you do on earth is good enough if you are not a christian like them. Some of them KNOW that blood transfusion is unacceptable.

You have said so much about the complex issue of god but said nothing about them. Is this a gerrymandering exercise?

I have met people like you whose understanding and acceptance of gods is nothing like the accepted dictionary definition, but rather a philosophical twisting of words.

What they do not put on the table is tangible evidence of what they proclaim. I do not pretend to be surprised by it all.
My point is, how adherents see it might not necessary be how it is. And philosophising is what "intellectually robust and unequivocally honest" people do. And since you'd bother to use such words, hopefully, not flippantly, I hoped to hold you to such rigour. After all, its not like you would ask others to be "robust and honest" and you be a lazy hypocrite.

The poor go looking for "gods, spirits, devils", joseph, yet "figurative expressions" is exactly what they are, figurative expressions to denote that which is not exactly comprehended, but which hark back to the very beginning of human attempts to reflect, which is what philosophy is and science even. The wealthy however, are "intellectually robust and unequivocally honest" and end up coming to different understandings through their hard work and effort.

Christianity for instances specifically teaches, do not create figures nor bow down and worship them, and [url=https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+25%3A40&version=KJV]do for[/url] those here whom you see and whatever Father might be in heaven will be pleased. So, why should an "intellectually robust and unequivocally honest" Christian be concerned with "the elements therein - gods, spirits, devils", and not an understanding of what those words might mean and or imply? Is it not specifically written "no one has seen God"? And yet here you are asking that God be presented to you on a plate.

I'm going to consider that what you are doing here is looking for the "elements therein" for that which is meant in spirit, so to speak. But know that it is foolish to learn calculus from random people on the street whom you dictionary define but who might not have defined themselves by a dictionary.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by budaatum: 12:37pm On Sep 04, 2019
Amujale:
If religion means Abrahamic religions, then religion is bad and should be banned anywhere on the African continent.

On the other hand, if religion means the experiencing, aspiring and working towards virtuousness; an attempt to attain a high moral and ethical standard, then religion is a nice and cool invention.

Religion is supposed to make us relative to virtuousness.

Virtue is a nice and fun quality to have.

All the authors of Abrahamic religious text are untustworthy, dubious, liars and fakers; and are never the virtuous type.
You decide whether religion makes you virtuos or not. But imagine what the rest of us would have been like if we had not been religionised at all.

Hint: Education as we know it today evolved from religion

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by budaatum: 1:05pm On Sep 04, 2019
joseph1013:

Your own understanding of the Bible is that Jesus is a son of Joseph. How can that be your understanding when the Bible DIRECTLY teaches against that? The Bible says Jesus was born of the Holy Spirit.
It is written in the Bible that some thousand years ago Jesus was born of the Holy Spirit, you mean. Writing today in the 21st century, some simply say he was very "intellectually robust and unequivocally honest".

And I'd say it can be my understanding because there is a brain in my own head that runs a mind with which I can think and reason and consider all the "evidence" and the immense research such that I acquire some understanding of what has evolved since then, instead of unthinkingly claiming a book "teaches" or "speaks".

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Amujale(m): 1:57pm On Sep 04, 2019
budaatum:

You decide whether religion makes you virtuos or not. But imagine what the rest of us would have been like if we had not been religionised at all.

Hint: Education as we know it today evolved from religion

I agree with the spirit of your post, in a way education can be said to evolve out of religion. I totally get that.

Western eductaion produced manufactured religion.

In actual fact, African spirituality is that which brought about religion.

Religion can aswell be defined as the mimicking of African philosophical concepts.

All manufactured religions are malicious imitations of African spirituality. i.e Abrahamic, Greek, Red Indian, Roman, Summerian e.t.c

Most of the narratives peddled by the above religions incoporate into their text various adaptations of our continental iconic characters and philosophical concepts.

Although the Abrahamic religions are mainly known for these type of West Asian and Eurocentric practises due to the fact that they took their exploitation of intellectual property to a whole new level.

The authors of Abrahamic religious text demonised the source of their copied continental philosophies and bastardise the content.

What most of us dont realise is the fact that most African philosphies are amongst the only verifiable religioussic concepts in living history; and are universally considered as a part of true history.

(1) (2) (3) ... (104) (105) (106) (107) (108) (109) (110) ... (130) (Reply)

Jesus is coming soon. This thread is for faithful watchmen / Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! / Rhapsody Of Realities: A Daily Devotional

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 160
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.