Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,517 members, 7,861,492 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 01:12 PM

The Etiquette Of Christmas Love - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / The Etiquette Of Christmas Love (1209 Views)

Tecno Marketers And Their Etiquette. / Etiquette Of A Gentleman / I Need A Christmas Love (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Etiquette Of Christmas Love by Infoseye(m): 4:17pm On Dec 11, 2008
Everyone knows that Christmas can be a stressful time, but when you're dating or new to a relationship, the month of December can be possibly nerve-wracking. Do I get my new partner a gift? How big? How small? Do I meet this person's family? How should I behave at the office Christmas party?

Let me help you out. I'm a certified etiquette and protocol consultant and the author of nine books on those topics. Here, I'll help you navigate the tricky waters of gift-giving and dating etiquette at Christmas time.

How do I handle Christmas gifts when you just started dating someone shortly before Christmas?

This depends entirely on how serious you've become. Have you gone exclusive already? Or is he your back-up date when you haven't got anything better to do?

If you don't yet have any plans to see each other during the month of December, I might skip the gift all together - it would be awkward to break out a wrapped gift when you see each other in January. However, add that person to your Christmas card list.

If you do have a date set for sometime during December and you'd like to give this person a small gift, I would give him or her a heads-up that you're planning to present a little something. You can say something like, 'I just wanted you to know that one of my favourite things to do at Christmas is to buy people gifts. And even though we've only been dating a short time, I got your something, and I was hoping to give it to you when I see you next Friday.'

You can communicate this information in a phone call or email. This will help you avoid ambushing someone who hasn't got you anything in return. As far as what to buy or how much to spend, about £10 would be fine - that should be enough to buy a CD or a book you think your date will enjoy.

The person I started dating last month has invited me to share Christmas dinner with his family. I'd like to go, because I enjoy his company, but I don't know if this will send a 'serious relationship' message to him, when I'm still dating around.

Bringing someone home for Christmas can be quite a big deal. I can easily see how his family might get the wrong impression when you show up, so if you have no intentions of becoming serious with this person (yet) I would politely decline the dinner invitation.

I don't think you need to get deep and serious about why you're declining because, who knows, down the line you may want to share a future Christmas dinner with this man and his family. Simply thank him graciously, let him know that you're unavailable and make plans for your next post-Christmas date.

New Year's Eve is fast approaching, and my new boyfriend hasn't asked me out for that night yet. Would I be out of line for me to ask him out for New Year's Eve instead?

Absolutely. Men love it when women take the initiative. Call or email him, and find out what his plans are - a casual, 'Hi, do you have any plans for New Year's Eve? I heard about something that sounded really fun' will do the trick.

If he's a last-minute kind of guy, tell him you'd like to nail something down for the two of you to do before all the dinner reservations fill up or whatever else it is you had in mind to do.

If he hesitates about committing to a New Year's Eve date, give him a deadline to let you know if he's interested in being with you, and if he doesn't get back to you, make plans with your girlfriends instead.

By the way, if, come February, you find yourself dateless again on Valentine's Day, then it's probably time to face up to a simple fact: This guy may not be the right person for you to be calling your boyfriend.

My office Christmas party is coming up, and there is a female colleague I've been flirting with lately. Should I ask her to go with me?

Not necessarily. An office Christmas party might be a convenient way to have a first date with this colleague but before you ask her out, find out first what the unwritten party protocol is - and if dating a colleague is even allowed.

See if single and married colleagues have brought dates to parties in the past. Is it a party with that kind of vibe? Often, an office party is in fact more like any meeting you might have in the large conference room - except that everyone is dressed nicely and holding a drink.

Ask people who've been to these events in years past to find out what these events are like. If it's more meeting-like, you should expect business as usual (i.e. professional behaviour) at this celebration. That doesn't mean that you can't ask to get her a drink, but I wouldn't make it a big deal or a 'date.'

Also keep in mind that if it is a bring-a-date kind of party, it's probably not the best occasion to express your interest in this colleague. Asking her to go with you would mean the two of you are presenting yourselves as a couple to the entire office - and would surely set tongues wagging. Probably not the effect you want your first date to have.

That said, there is nothing wrong with continuing your flirtation at the party. And if you work in the kind of loose, casual office where the Christmas party is known for lots of drinking and wild dancing, then kick it up a notch and see if you can forge a stronger connection.

Even though I know that my new boyfriend put a lot of thought into my Christmas gift, I don't like it. Can I return it?

Normally, I'm of the belief that once a gift is yours, you are free to do with it what you please - whether it be return it, sell it on eBay, donate it to charity, or toss it in the bin.

However, you're in a new relationship, and you know that your boyfriend made an effort to buy you a great gift, and he missed the mark? So what? You should be thrilled that he wanted to please you by finding something that he thought was the perfect gift.

Keep the gift, appreciate the sentiment, and from here on in, get really good at dropping hints about what you like - 'I spend so much time browsing at such-and-such shop, I'm going to have to start paying rent!' or 'Do you know anyone else who goes to Starbucks as often as I do?!' should do the trick.

I'd like to get my girlfriend of a few months some lingerie for Christmas. Good idea or bad?

It all depends. Has your relationship become sexual yet? If not - and she's made it clear that she's not ready to take it to that level yet - then you need to hold off giving that kind of gift. Otherwise, she is probably going to feel under pressure.

If you have become intimate already, then buying her something tasteful from a lingerie store would be a lovely gift. Better yet, get her a gift certificate and ask to go shopping with her after Christmas so you can get a better sense of what she likes and dislikes. That ought to be an outing that's fun and romantic for both of you.

My girlfriend of a couple of months clearly wants a pricey gift, but I'm not comfortable spending that much at this stage in our relationship. How should I handle this?

I've got to say, I believe honesty is the best policy. Don't just shrug off her none-too-subtle hints. You need to let her know that while you appreciate her letting you know the kind of gift she'd like, you're not comfortable spending that kind of money.

Dr. Tessina suggests being a bit cheeky with your response, such as 'I know you want a Tiffany diamond this Christmas, but I think we should save that money for our (next holiday, etc.)'.

'If you let her know you're thinking of your future together - and do so with a little bit of humour,' says Dr. Tessina, 'then she'll take the disappointment better.'

If she doesn't like your answer - and acts out because of it - you may not want to be in a relationship with someone who puts so much emphasis on money spent and equates it with feelings of affection.

Re: The Etiquette Of Christmas Love by MissyB1(m): 4:23pm On Dec 11, 2008
Damn!!!
Cute pic !! grin
Re: The Etiquette Of Christmas Love by Ben13: 4:31pm On Dec 11, 2008
MissyB, was it the pic only you saw grin
Re: The Etiquette Of Christmas Love by MissyB1(m): 4:35pm On Dec 11, 2008
Yes na . . . grin
Leave me jo. grin
Re: The Etiquette Of Christmas Love by Infoseye(m): 4:39pm On Dec 11, 2008
I can see u enjoying the pic grin
Re: The Etiquette Of Christmas Love by Ben13: 4:42pm On Dec 11, 2008
infoseye,

i just went through your stuff
mehnnn. . . it's luvely, keep it up.

do me a favour, send me an exmas text message.
Re: The Etiquette Of Christmas Love by Infoseye(m): 4:50pm On Dec 11, 2008
Ben20001:

infoseye,

i just went through your stuff
mehnnn. . . it's luvely, keep it up.

do me a favour, send me an exmas text message.

No problem Will send you a Xmas Romantic Ebook For Lovers
Re: The Etiquette Of Christmas Love by Ben13: 4:55pm On Dec 11, 2008
hope you re not joking.
Re: The Etiquette Of Christmas Love by Infoseye(m): 5:13pm On Dec 11, 2008
Ben20001:

hope you re not joking.

am not whats your email address?

(1) (Reply)

Why? Are Girls Liars? / Help Plz! Am Falling For 2 Damsels / Am Still In Love With Her:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.