Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,136 members, 7,835,811 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:20 PM

Folorunsho Alakija Unseats Oprah As Richest Black Woman. - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Folorunsho Alakija Unseats Oprah As Richest Black Woman. (47587 Views)

I Still Wash My Husband’s Underwears - Folorunsho Alakija / Folorunsho Alakija: Nigeria’s Richest Woman [photos] / Folorunsho Alakija Surpasses Oprah Winfrey As Richest Black Woman In The World! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Folorunsho Alakija Unseats Oprah As Richest Black Woman. by olisaEze(m): 9:36am On Dec 29, 2014
SeverusSnape:
Richest Black man is from Nigeria, Richest black woman is from Nigeria... Congratulations to her.
yes meanwhile ure in ur house with electricity powered by ur generator operating under d fear of subsidy removal n economic uncertainty, n hoping that one day things will jst suddenly get beta! From office secretary to fashion designer to oil block owner! Yes na she wrk hard pass 4naija!!

2 Likes

Re: Folorunsho Alakija Unseats Oprah As Richest Black Woman. by Nobody: 9:37am On Dec 29, 2014
Dereformer:

At the same time, 79% of Nigerians are extremely poor.
Northerners. . .
Re: Folorunsho Alakija Unseats Oprah As Richest Black Woman. by Nobody: 9:38am On Dec 29, 2014
STENON:
congrats........

I'l soon unseat Alakija.....

It's just a matter of time..

I like your spirit, however, as you talk the talk work the work and walk the walk.
Re: Folorunsho Alakija Unseats Oprah As Richest Black Woman. by streetlaur: 9:39am On Dec 29, 2014
Cool, we got both the richest black man in Africa and the richest black woman in the world.... That automatically means an upgrade on the standard of living for all Nigerians ehhh.... I just laff at what we celebrate sometimes

1 Like

Re: Folorunsho Alakija Unseats Oprah As Richest Black Woman. by extremelygolden: 9:40am On Dec 29, 2014
chronique:
Good one for Her. My only question,is how a fashion designer got an oil license. The report says Her company "Famfa oil" was awarded the oil block. Does it mean She was able to set up an oil firm that had the capacity to bid for oil blocks as at that time? Or was She someone's mistress? Simple logic tells me that there should normally,be no correlation between being a fashion designer,and running an oil firm. They are two distinct professions that are miles apart and not inter-related. But hey,it's not of my business.
\

To answer your questions. She was a very good fashion designer when someone introduced her to Mariam Babangida of blessed memory. Mariam Babangida has always being a very beautiful woman, but her fashion designer helped brought out all the beauties out of her. It was natural that she introduced her fashion designer to her husband who was then the Head of State because IBB would have been so impressed with the appearance of his wife anytime she steps out in those beautiful well-tailored wears. And in appreciation, IBB (who ran a chop-I-chop government), generously gave her an Oil Bloc (which she later registered as Famfa Oil) as he gave to others and because God has decided to favour Alakija, her Oil Bloc turned out to be the best among the others.

She didn't acquire her wealth as any rich man's mistress, she acquired it from God's divine favour. She simply met the right people at the right time, my dear.

2 Likes

Re: Folorunsho Alakija Unseats Oprah As Richest Black Woman. by biodunid: 9:41am On Dec 29, 2014
Would GMB leave such stolen wealth in their hands? Both she and the Babagindas she fronts for? As ex oil Minister he surely can get sources who will give him the full lowdown on all the deals including Malabu. We should expect oyel billionaires to defend their ill gotten billions DESPERATELY.

“It is widely believed that Alakija’s friendship with Maryam Babangida, the late wife of former head of state, Ibrahim Babangida, played a huge role in her relatively inexpensive acquisition of the oil block back in 1993,” the magazine noted.
Re: Folorunsho Alakija Unseats Oprah As Richest Black Woman. by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 9:43am On Dec 29, 2014
extremelygolden:
\

To answer your questions. She was a very good fashion designer when someone introduced her to Mariam Babangida of blessed memory. Mariam Babangida has always being a very beautiful woman, but her fashion designer helped brought out all the beauties out of Mariam. It was natural that she introduced her fashion designer to her husband who was then the Head of State because IBB would have been so impressed with the appearance of his wife anytime she steps out in those beautiful well-tailored wears. And in appreciation, IBB (who ran a chop-I-chop government), generously gave her an Oil Bloc (which she later registered as Famfa Oil) as he gave to others and because God has decided to favour Alakija, her Oil Bloc turned out to be the best among the others.

She didn't acquire her wealth as any rich man's mistress, she acquired it from God's divine favour. She simply met the right people at the right time, my dear.

This is very wrong. How can you claim it is God's favour when she was given an oil bloc that she did not deserve and the giver (Babangida) had no right to give?

Are cronyism and corruption now the main things preached as God's favour?

4 Likes

Re: Folorunsho Alakija Unseats Oprah As Richest Black Woman. by oliidell(m): 9:47am On Dec 29, 2014
The link posted as the sources of the news is a 'thisday newspaper link' did anyone check with forbes Last time dis story made headlines, I checked forbes and saw a different thing.
Re: Folorunsho Alakija Unseats Oprah As Richest Black Woman. by vonn(f): 9:47am On Dec 29, 2014
And we are still living like this! undecided
Re: Folorunsho Alakija Unseats Oprah As Richest Black Woman. by xsojer: 9:47am On Dec 29, 2014
trillville:

this is why we need to vote out PDP. what contribution to humanity has alakija made to make her so rich?

This is Nigeria's money concentrated in the hands of a single individual.
uneven distribution of wealth.we need to re-educate ourselves about our former attitude of mind against this capitalist tendencies.
Re: Folorunsho Alakija Unseats Oprah As Richest Black Woman. by SeverusSnape(m): 9:50am On Dec 29, 2014
annibro:

Dangote is richest Black man in Africa not the World
Get your facts right, Dangote is the richest black person in the world.
Re: Folorunsho Alakija Unseats Oprah As Richest Black Woman. by Neplusultra(f): 9:51am On Dec 29, 2014
SeverusSnape:
Richest Black man is from Nigeria, Richest black woman is from Nigeria... Congratulations to her.
And yet a high percentage of d populace is dying of hunger, lack and deprivation
Re: Folorunsho Alakija Unseats Oprah As Richest Black Woman. by Nobody: 9:51am On Dec 29, 2014
Y d information now? Sumtin wey don happen since last year...nairaland oga ooo

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2449896/Folorunsho-Alakija-replaces-Oprah-Winfrey-richest-black-woman-world.html
Re: Folorunsho Alakija Unseats Oprah As Richest Black Woman. by Dinocarex(m): 9:51am On Dec 29, 2014
Congratulations to Iya Alakija!! But on the 2nd thought, Oprah Winfrey, an American has done more good to Africa (setting up foundations around South, East and West Africa) than Alakija a Nigerian and an African.
Well, that's none of my business before they start calling me BadBelle

2 Likes

Re: Folorunsho Alakija Unseats Oprah As Richest Black Woman. by chronique(m): 9:52am On Dec 29, 2014
Ok. Thanks for the clarification.
extremelygolden:
\

To answer your questions. She was a very good fashion designer when someone introduced her to Mariam Babangida of blessed memory. Mariam Babangida has always being a very beautiful woman, but her fashion designer helped brought out all the beauties out of her. It was natural that she introduced her fashion designer to her husband who was then the Head of State because IBB would have been so impressed with the appearance of his wife anytime she steps out in those beautiful well-tailored wears. And in appreciation, IBB (who ran a chop-I-chop government), generously gave her an Oil Bloc (which she later registered as Famfa Oil) as he gave to others and because God has decided to favour Alakija, her Oil Bloc turned out to be the best among the others.

1 Like

Re: Folorunsho Alakija Unseats Oprah As Richest Black Woman. by Generalkorex(m): 9:53am On Dec 29, 2014
stag:
Congrats ma!

But one would expect to see you visibly touching lives. More than Oprah did.
she would never do that.let us wait n see
Re: Folorunsho Alakija Unseats Oprah As Richest Black Woman. by Dinocarex(m): 9:54am On Dec 29, 2014
Meky7777:
Northerners. . .
So Northerners aint Nigeria anymore??
Re: Folorunsho Alakija Unseats Oprah As Richest Black Woman. by Nobody: 9:54am On Dec 29, 2014
chronique:
Good one for Her. My only question,is how a fashion designer got an oil license. The report says Her company "Famfa oil" was awarded the oil block. Does it mean She was able to set up an oil firm that had the capacity to bid for oil blocks as at that time? Or was She someone's mistress? Simple logic tells me that there should normally,be no correlation between being a fashion designer,and running an oil firm. They are two distinct professions that are miles apart and not inter-related. But hey,it's not of my business.

Dear , as much as I do not hold brief for Famfa Oil boss , however I must say that I detest people like you who have low IQ and lack business acumen . For your information , one's foresightedness , personality , determination , perseverance , hard work and smartness is all that leads to monumental hight of success in business as the woman and her company has attained .

Believe you me , should you change your mindset today , package yourself well and place your target at the right position , I bet you that in the next coming years your life story will change for good . The only class of people that do hardly record monumental success in business in short period of time are mostly people into article merchandising . Real time entrepreneurs always know how to go about hitting it big . Chose your line of business wisely .
Re: Folorunsho Alakija Unseats Oprah As Richest Black Woman. by Danybuka(m): 9:54am On Dec 29, 2014
Papejima u r a wise man
Re: Folorunsho Alakija Unseats Oprah As Richest Black Woman. by Nobody: 9:54am On Dec 29, 2014
Re: Folorunsho Alakija Unseats Oprah As Richest Black Woman. by SeverusSnape(m): 9:55am On Dec 29, 2014
Neplusultra:
And yet a high percentage of d populace is dying of hunger, lack and deprivation
Unfortunately, Yes...That's the kind of society we find ourselves
Re: Folorunsho Alakija Unseats Oprah As Richest Black Woman. by Kenai: 9:55am On Dec 29, 2014
papaejima1:
Small minds will look for excuses and reasons why she shouldn't make it

while

great minds will try to see how she was able to do it from humble beginnings and see if they can tap into her strategy to better themselves.

Boss, the so called "humble beginnings" isn't the type of thing anyone should be proud about when the said woman went from being a mistress to a corrupt dictator, to owning an oil bloc that she did not earn through hardwork or professionalism.
If you don't realize she's part of the rot in the society, then I don't know why there should even be a discussion here.

3 Likes

Re: Folorunsho Alakija Unseats Oprah As Richest Black Woman. by Tunagee(m): 9:55am On Dec 29, 2014
retepmurt:
Nigerian oil tycoon, Mrs. Folorunsho Alakija, is now the richest black woman in the world with an estimated fortune of $7.3 billion.

Mother of four, Alakija, 62, unseats Winfrey as the richest black woman in the world.

According to Forbes, Oprah Winfrey is worth $2.9 billion. Africa boasts 55 billionaires and they’re worth a staggering $143.88 billion in total, according to pan-African magazine Ventures Africa.
Alakija started her career as a secretary in a bank in the mid 1970s. She then studied fashion in London and returned to Nigeria to start a label, Supreme Stitches. But her biggest break came in oil. In 1993, her company, Famfa Oil, was awarded an oil prospecting licence, which later became OML 127, one of Nigeria’s most prolific oil blocks.

The company owns a 60-per-cent stake in the block, valued at around $7.3 billion, Ventures Africa has reported.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/folorunsho-alakija-unseats-oprah-as-richest-black-woman/197879/

so what value is she adding to humanity?

1 Like

Re: Folorunsho Alakija Unseats Oprah As Richest Black Woman. by watered(m): 9:59am On Dec 29, 2014
How many lives has she affected with her oil money?

Make she as well unseat Oprah Winfrey (I love that woman o) for number of lives wey she touch and still dey touch.

If you are wealthy and there are poor people around you then you are poor.

GEJ till 2019
Re: Folorunsho Alakija Unseats Oprah As Richest Black Woman. by sanmibukunmi: 10:00am On Dec 29, 2014
No matter the criticisms they face, dis ppl are ppl I will always admire......they Ơ̴̴͡.̮Ơ̴̴̴͡ the future we cannot Ơ̴̴͡.̮Ơ̴̴̴͡ and so they grab d opportunity fast.....we are all talking abt the oil block she own but we don't know what else she is investing in...right now, she has 30,000 hecters of land in a remote local govt in oyo state. Her plan is to make it a haven for oil palm plantation. The work has started already and no body knows about dt yet... In a few years from now when she eventually makes billions from it, we will all sit and criticise how come she owns such expanse of land....they are investing everyday and D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ will keep reaping from their investments. I would rather study and follow their trend of how they do tins rather than just lay back and criticise while they are raking in millions....

1 Like

Re: Folorunsho Alakija Unseats Oprah As Richest Black Woman. by onatisi(m): 10:02am On Dec 29, 2014
Nigeria is full of emergency billionaires who keep coming up on a daily basis,but yet have no verifiable and concise history of how they made their billions. At the end of each stories, there is always a link to the nigerian govt either past or present and the source of these billions is usually the nigeria oil.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Folorunsho Alakija Unseats Oprah As Richest Black Woman. by Yksoul(m): 10:06am On Dec 29, 2014
IT IS AS A RESULT OF CORRUPTION THAT WE HAVE A WOMAN BECOMING THE RICHEST WOMAN IN THE WORLD.IT IS ONLY IN THIS COUNTRY WE GIVE BIRTH RIGHT OF MANY NIGERIA TO A SINGLE CLUELESS,CORRUPT INEXPERIENCED POLITICAL CRONIES.
Re: Folorunsho Alakija Unseats Oprah As Richest Black Woman. by Henrick007: 10:07am On Dec 29, 2014
Tinyemeka:

She was personal fashion designer to the late Mrs Maryam Babangida.
nd how mch was she sewing skirt nd blouse?
Re: Folorunsho Alakija Unseats Oprah As Richest Black Woman. by Nobody: 10:08am On Dec 29, 2014
As expected, I can see the children of anger displaying their anger and bitterness for an oilwell that isn't in their land. Whether they like it or not I am getting mine next year..
Re: Folorunsho Alakija Unseats Oprah As Richest Black Woman. by Nobody: 10:11am On Dec 29, 2014
ireneony:
Rich ke, how many charitable organization has she contribute to. She is rich, she should it keep to herself. Oprah is far better than her, at least she gives to the poor and even build a school for the poor in south Africa. What has this woman done to better the ordinary man on the street, am not talking about she giving to the church, I know her pastors must have been receiving from the oil money....all am talking about is, what has she done to improve this country. The other day bill gate organized a program that will help to fight polio in Africa especially in Nigeria that has the highest polio case in the world, the other day he was happy to announce on twitter, that Nigeria now has low polio case.....thanks to bill gate for the eradication of polio in Nigeria which has been reduced to a very minimum rate.
My concern is this, what has she done for average Nigeria...all she knows is to keep drilling our oil, am not proud of her cos her money is suppose to be for all Nigerians. Let them keep looting our oil and money, only God will save us from the hands of this corrupt being.
now u re talking baby.. This is the type of constructive criticism i want to see from u... Enjoy
Re: Folorunsho Alakija Unseats Oprah As Richest Black Woman. by IEDA: 10:11am On Dec 29, 2014
olisaEze:
yes meanwhile ure in ur house with electricity powered by ur generator operating under d fear of subsidy removal n economic uncertainty, n hoping that one day things will jst suddenly get beta! From office secretary to fashion designer to oil block owner! Yes na she wrk hard pass 4naija!!
sooooo?....abeg chill
Re: Folorunsho Alakija Unseats Oprah As Richest Black Woman. by Ormorlehwah(f): 10:12am On Dec 29, 2014
Story for the gods.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

8 People Are Richer Than 3.6 Billion People Combined- CNN. / Ghost Amala Joint Seller And Her Apprentices Disappear After Being Recognized / Woman Who Sells Puff-puff On Water (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.