Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,156 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:49 AM

Before You Travel To The Uae In Search Of Jobs – Read This - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Before You Travel To The Uae In Search Of Jobs – Read This (92026 Views)

5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... / Dubai Banks Reportedly Closing Accounts Of Nigerian Politicians In The UAE / QATAR And UAE General Visa Enquiries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Before You Travel To The Uae In Search Of Jobs – Read This by omanifrank(m): 9:59am On Dec 29, 2014
interesting
Re: Before You Travel To The Uae In Search Of Jobs – Read This by kendrick9(m): 10:01am On Dec 29, 2014
nice writeup.. chop knuckle bro
Re: Before You Travel To The Uae In Search Of Jobs – Read This by yomi007k(m): 10:04am On Dec 29, 2014
Nice write up.
Pls wat do u mean by "gulf experience"
Re: Before You Travel To The Uae In Search Of Jobs – Read This by ogb5(m): 10:05am On Dec 29, 2014
chiefololade:
GMB all the way.. vote for change and there won't be need to travel to Dubai for job

How many job has Buhari created in his entire life, he can not learn how to create jobs at old age. Even obasanjo has Ota farm that employs people, Buhari sacked thousands during his tenure and created policies that made even more people to lose their jobs.

OP
Nice write up. I did not know the salary is so poor in dubai. But I do not know how you arrived at your accommodation cost. I think the cost of accommodation is far higher than what you have quoted

4 Likes

Re: Before You Travel To The Uae In Search Of Jobs – Read This by jaybee3(m): 10:05am On Dec 29, 2014
why would any sane person go to dubai for "Let’s say you took up any of these jobs for example; the salary is going to be between 1,000dhs (NGN44,927) and 1,800dhs (NGN81,025) per month."

1 Like

Re: Before You Travel To The Uae In Search Of Jobs – Read This by gidjah(m): 10:06am On Dec 29, 2014
What are the job chances for a trained mechanical engineer,teacher over there who is going to 'search' him self?
Re: Before You Travel To The Uae In Search Of Jobs – Read This by olisaEze(m): 10:07am On Dec 29, 2014
Nice one op, buh our youths have been so thoroughly disillusioned by our politicians and leaders dt d only thing dt myt discourage alot of pple reading ds is d 500k price n nothing else!
Re: Before You Travel To The Uae In Search Of Jobs – Read This by seunoni34(m): 10:07am On Dec 29, 2014
jaybee3:
why would any sane person go to dubai for "Let’s say you took up any of these jobs for example; the salary is going to be between 1,000dhs (NGN44,927) and 1,800dhs (NGN81,025) per month."
Only hopeless people travel out of nigeria for "greener pastures".
You can make it here if you are smart enough.

1 Like

Re: Before You Travel To The Uae In Search Of Jobs – Read This by Nobody: 10:08am On Dec 29, 2014
Don't mind them they are 419 boys in dubai
Re: Before You Travel To The Uae In Search Of Jobs – Read This by ajoguegbe(m): 10:08am On Dec 29, 2014
hmmm
Re: Before You Travel To The Uae In Search Of Jobs – Read This by buoye1(m): 10:08am On Dec 29, 2014
UAE not my place of interest
Re: Before You Travel To The Uae In Search Of Jobs – Read This by Nobody: 10:09am On Dec 29, 2014
The Craze among Nigerian youths to travel 'abroad' is really alarming. I don't know why most of us think we can't make it' here.
How can a young man leave Nigeria with a Masters degree and go be an Airport security personnel (or something worse, in many cases) in U.K or some other random country?
That's why people get defrauded on a daily basis by fraudsters claiming to be Visa agents.

I'd rather remain here in Nigeria, where I have complete freedom, and have the rights of a first class citizen, than go elsewhere and be a second or even third class citizen. I will travel 'abroad' for business and leisure when the time comes....

..wonderful writeup @OP

5 Likes

Re: Before You Travel To The Uae In Search Of Jobs – Read This by justwise(m): 10:09am On Dec 29, 2014
seunoni34:

Only hopeless people travel out of nigeria for "greener pastures".
You can make it here if you are smart enough.

How many 'hopeful' Nigerians have made it in Nigeria?

12 Likes

Re: Before You Travel To The Uae In Search Of Jobs – Read This by Pajames4all: 10:09am On Dec 29, 2014
OK
Re: Before You Travel To The Uae In Search Of Jobs – Read This by Edusouls(m): 10:10am On Dec 29, 2014
africans always seeking for greener pastures elsewhere and not their land..for God's sake uae are worse than us back in 80's,look at where they are now, their economy is very stable and fast growing, we africans are a cursed race,we are realy slaves,always running away from our land looking for whom to serve since 1700's..because our dark hearts and wicked mindsets kills progress instantly in our land,we always plant the seeds of poverty,diseases,corruption with impunity,terrible leaders,empty pride, we celeberate dishonesty, live in daily lies,envy,greed,selfishness..we will always be slaves, neglected all over the world,always segregated and ridiculed, due to the seeds we plant,suffering will always be our harvest till the end of time...

2 Likes

Re: Before You Travel To The Uae In Search Of Jobs – Read This by Danosophe(m): 10:11am On Dec 29, 2014
Thanx for the info. Nice write up. Big ups to you bro.
Re: Before You Travel To The Uae In Search Of Jobs – Read This by Emmysteve(m): 10:11am On Dec 29, 2014
Alright
Re: Before You Travel To The Uae In Search Of Jobs – Read This by justwise(m): 10:11am On Dec 29, 2014
TheRainmaker1:
The Craze among Nigerian youths to travel 'abroad' is really alarming. I don't know why most of us think we can't make it' here.
How can a young man leave Nigeria with a Masters degree and go be an Airport security personnel (or something worse, in many cases) in U.K or some other random country?
That's why people get defrauded on a daily basis by fraudsters claiming to be Visa agents.

I'd rather remain here in Nigeria, where I have complete freedom, and have the rights of a first class citizen, than go elsewhere and be a second or even third class citizen. I will travel 'abroad' for business and leisure when the time comes....

..wonderful writeup @OP

Is that your dream or reality on ground?

3 Likes

Re: Before You Travel To The Uae In Search Of Jobs – Read This by j4sure(m): 10:11am On Dec 29, 2014
Wow
Re: Before You Travel To The Uae In Search Of Jobs – Read This by holatin(m): 10:12am On Dec 29, 2014
if Nigeria good wella, y should I go to uae for job hunting
Re: Before You Travel To The Uae In Search Of Jobs – Read This by drizzy009: 10:14am On Dec 29, 2014
jidezubair:
I have had to speak to a lot of friends and even family members, who either wanted to relocate to the UAE or were already here, and I think I should put an article out to address this issue, perhaps some other people can benefit from it. I have also come across a lot of adverts on Facebook asking people who want to get jobs in UAE, Qatar, Kuwait and other countries in the Gulf to contact them. Therefore, it seems the Gulf Countries are becoming the new “greener pastures” for Nigerians (and Africans at large). I will try my best possible to cover the aspects of cost, visa and jobs as commonly related to this kind of “arrangement.” However, everyone reading this must know that, this is my personal opinion and it’s no blueprint of some sort.

This article is not for those who got white-collar jobs with organisations directly because of their skill-set and previous job experiences nor those who came into UAE for vacation and were lucky to secure an interview and got a decent professional job in the process. This article is for those who are still back home and are planning to resign from their jobs, and/or raise some money and relocate to UAE in search of a “better opportunity.” Some of the questions such persons need to ask themselves are: Why do I want to leave Nigeria for the UAE? What is the employment outlook and philosophy there? What are the opportunities besides regular white-collar job? How soon can I get a job? What is the cost of pursuing this? What is the forgone alternative for the money I want to invest in this project? What kind of visa(s) does the UAE give visitors? How do I obtain one? And what is the validity of the visa(s)?

I must confess, UAE is a great place to live. The environment is not hostile. The infrastructure (road, electricity, telecommunication and entertainment etc.) is one of the best in the world. And its economy has been showing significant growth in the last four years. Therefore, if you have a decent job with a decent pay, it is a very good place to be. However, if you just want to leave Nigeria at all cost and travel down here to come and look for a job, you must consider these three issues – cost, visa and jobs.

COST

This adventure will cost you somewhere around NGN500,000 (it could be a bit less than that) and this is the breakdown. If you did not have an international passport yet, you would have to spend about NGN15,000 to procure one. A two-month visa should cost you around $800 (NGN132,024). A return ticket of about NGN100,000 (depending on airline and season of the year) and a bed-space of about $150 (NGN24,755) per month or more depending on location and level of comfort you desire. The rest of the money will be for running around, feeding, general upkeep and miscellaneous.

VISA

Visas in this region are sponsored by companies/businesses (directly) or relatives (indirectly). For example, if you want to come here for vacation, you have to have an agent process a visa for you as a business-tourist or have a family member who lives here do a visit visa for you (generally valid for two weeks or a month). The one month visas are mostly extendable for another month and this is the type most people coming here to look for job opportunities come in with. When your two-month legitimate stay elapses, every extra day spent after that attracts fine – 200dhs ($54.45 or NGN8,986) for the first day and 100dhs ($27.22 or NGN4,500) for each consecutive day.

Now you have your visa and you are ready to fly.

JOBS

Let’s clear the divine aspect of it. God’s plans for us all are different. You can land in the UAE and get a good job within few days, but this is not mostly the case. Therefore, let’s talk about the ideal scenario. If the company or person promising you job(s) in UAE didn’t get you the job before you leave Nigeria, you would have to come and personally look for one here. If you are lucky to have a laptop computer and Wi-Fi in your residence, this means you wouldn’t have to be frequenting cyber café to apply for jobs online. This saves you some cost. Otherwise, you would have to take your job-hunting to the cyber café (there is a cost attached to that).

Notable websites to look for job are http://www.gulftalent.com, http://www.indeed.ae, http://www.monstergulf.com, http://www.bayt.com and so on.

Just like everywhere else in the world, the job-market philosophy is to hire people with requisite experience. And in the Gulf, they take it further. The preferred candidates are the ones with gulf-experience. Therefore, your resume might not get deserved attention without the “requisite experience” and “gulf-experience.” That means little or no interviews. Remember, you have a maximum of two months to secure a job. By the second month, desperation might start to set in and people would start telling you about some “jobs” you can take up as starter. The typical jobs available (as stater) are security personnel positions, facility management positions (cleaning jobs), sales representatives in malls, service guy in coffee shops and so on. And you might have to work a 12-hour rotation. These jobs are not particularly bad, someone has to do them.

The problem is that, the structure of this economy does not allow you to have several jobs like in the West (UK, America, Canada and so on). You only serve a master (employer) here. If you want to joggle between two or several jobs, you would need to get a “No Objection Certificate” (NOC) from your employer to permit you work (at your free time) with another employer. This is almost impossible. And our remuneration here is mostly salary and not wages.

Let’s say you took up any of these jobs for example; the salary is going to be between 1,000dhs (NGN44,927) and 1,800dhs (NGN81,025) per month. You would be given accommodation and transportation. If you are a very frugal person, you might be able to save a couple of hundreds of dirhams per month. And that is fine. However, I don’t see you changing career path so easily. What is common here career-wise, is that, one is most likely to always get the subsequent jobs in the same field he/she started with and I believe this is how it is everywhere. Except on rare occasions. Employers want to leverage on your previous experience and are not willing nor ready to train (I guess that is how it is in most places anyway). They want people who can hit the ground running immediately they are employed.

Therefore, before you take the plunge, ask questions and do the necessary research so that you are well prepared for the eventualities ahead.

PS: THIS ARTICLE WAS ORIGINALLY POSTED ON MY BLOG (jidezubair.) ON THE 21/10/2014, I BROUGHT IT HERE TO SHARE WITH A BROADER AUDIENCE.
. my brother is currently on interview for a Job in Qatar... their features are. Two free visa for himself and spouse, salary of $2500 per month...And free ticket to come back to Nigeria yearly....is the Job okay
Re: Before You Travel To The Uae In Search Of Jobs – Read This by seunoni34(m): 10:14am On Dec 29, 2014
justwise:

And how many of them are having a good life over there?

2 Likes

Re: Before You Travel To The Uae In Search Of Jobs – Read This by justwise(m): 10:15am On Dec 29, 2014
seunoni34:

And how many of them are having a good life over there?

You did not answer my question.
Re: Before You Travel To The Uae In Search Of Jobs – Read This by Nobody: 10:24am On Dec 29, 2014
Na dis naija i go live and die.
Re: Before You Travel To The Uae In Search Of Jobs – Read This by mrbillz(m): 10:24am On Dec 29, 2014
Mmmm
Re: Before You Travel To The Uae In Search Of Jobs – Read This by ceejay80s(m): 10:25am On Dec 29, 2014
If una like make una talk from now till next year, nigerians will not listen, I have seen this article like 10times since 2009 and naijas still wan go, if u talk dem go say u get bad belle,anything wey any body see make he use him head carry
Re: Before You Travel To The Uae In Search Of Jobs – Read This by Ormorlehwah(f): 10:25am On Dec 29, 2014
Gosh! See the number ºƒ̲̅ people viewing dis topic ÅΩ̴̴̩̩̩̥̩ð they A̶̲̥̅̊rε̲̣̣̣̥ complaining dat dey will rather achieve their goal in Nigeria.
But why A̶̲̥̅̊rε̲̣̣̣̥ you reading the content?

3 Likes

Re: Before You Travel To The Uae In Search Of Jobs – Read This by Pasca07: 10:27am On Dec 29, 2014
justwise:

nice question...don't mind him

1 Like

Re: Before You Travel To The Uae In Search Of Jobs – Read This by Nobody: 10:28am On Dec 29, 2014
Your write up is on point but I beg to differ in terms of Qatar. I work in Qatar as an Engineer presently and I must say that Nigerians are beginning to do very well for themselves although most of them are security and cab drivers but Quite a number of us are in the Engineering field. My only advise is when u are getting a visa frm an agent in Nigeria. Make sure and make sure it's not a labourer visa

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Before You Travel To The Uae In Search Of Jobs – Read This by legalwealth(m): 10:29am On Dec 29, 2014
God bless you OP!

If you are a real and genuine personnel or if you know any legit company or business that can process two months VISA to Dubai.
Kindly let me know here with evidences! !!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Nigerian Man Shows Off How Much He Has Changed Five Months After Leaving Nigeria / Fearless Russian Lady Goes Fishing In A Tiny Boat With Giant Brown Bear (Photos) / My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.