Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,139 members, 7,818,432 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:28 PM

New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 (38781 Views)

Top 20 Used Cars To Avoid / New Policy On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: Big News Page / Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by amaechionuh(m): 10:35am On Dec 31, 2014
redcliff:

You have a poor mans mentality..did you consider quality/brand? E.g you cant compare a tecno to an iphone!
High level of illiteracy in display here. Please find your way to any almajiri school closer to you and enroll yourself, thank GEJ later.
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by darediamond(m): 10:35am On Dec 31, 2014
May Your Days Bé Long In Prosperity And All Goodnes Your heart Desires.
Aaaaaamen!!
May those debris called Tokunbo "kars" know no more our port.

May God in is infinite Mercy open the eyes of Our Car dealears in Nigeria to know that what the Goverment is doing is to there benefits and Nigerian Populaces at large.

May anyone who Type Amen bé blessed to Own A Flourishing Company Of his or Her Own in Nigeria (Headquaters) and other countries (branches) in Jesus name.
Amen.
Collynzo22:
Innoson and other made in Nigeria cars are already taking over.
More jobs will be created.

1 Like

Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by redcliff: 10:36am On Dec 31, 2014
Collynzo22:

If you like a Lexus suv so much you should be able to buy it at whatever price you find it.
Nigerian economy is more important than your individual taste.
How many countries allow second hand cars pass through their borders?

We have not gotten to that point. Infact in adv economies, it would be extremely foolish (not like it cant be done) to buy a tokunbo vehicle from other countries because they manufacture these things there, you have the opportunity of enjoying a fantastic credit facility once you have a verifiable means of id from that country and there are high quality used cars you can purchase at a fantastic price that is below the cost price of a new one...tell me, which does nigeria have?
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by 49cents(m): 10:36am On Dec 31, 2014
treasuress:
smh people like him wont feel it cos dey have the money to buyany car they want, he is just trying to put more money in the hands ofthe rich , wanting us to buy assembled nigerian cars, smh

Is there anything wrong with nigerian assembled cars?
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by Collynzo22: 10:38am On Dec 31, 2014
oliverjiad:
is it with youth with school certificate abi youth wey no fit afford to go school,bros there are many industry to work on not to set eye on a particular industry
Who says it is only graduates that can work in the industry.
Even in the oil industry, you will find people who did not even finish secondary school working there in various capacities and earning their living.
The automobile industry will creat jobs for all.
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by clemz88(m): 10:39am On Dec 31, 2014
Wicked government! Trying to deprive the masses who can't afford luxury the little they can afford. I wish they can all die.
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by redcliff: 10:40am On Dec 31, 2014
amaechionuh:

High level of illiteracy in display here. Please find your way to any almajiri school closer to you and enroll yourself, thank GEJ later.

Then i see how intelligent you are also..

1 Like

Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by Nobody: 10:41am On Dec 31, 2014
mcgboye:

http://www.punchng.com/news/tokunbo-cars-to-cost-more-from-january-1/

http://nairametrics.com/new-year-gift-from-this-govt-import-duty-on-tokunbo-cars-to-increase-by-70-jan-1st/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

Basically, import duty on tokunbo cars will double. The direct result is a significant increase in the prices of cars. I hope the gov't doesn't go ahead with this new duty regime.
Not after auto manufacturers donated N450m to his re-election. brace yourself.
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by Montaque(m): 10:42am On Dec 31, 2014
keyman0007:

HW does it get beta?

It is we the citizen that suffer the effect, why cant the government give the companies manufacturing inside some wavier to make their cars cheaper, rather they want to make more money. Also 70 percent is outrageous. hw much does the government knw dey sell new car? you cant get a new car less than 2.5m. how many people can afford 2.5m for a car when a gud tokunbo can go as low as 1m embarassed

Even okonjo, aganga and GEJ do not use these so called locally manufactured cars.

All these people bringing all these harsh polices dey didn't witness during their time, it God dat will judge them.

in the state where I am now, vehicles used by police,army,govt workers,sanitation workers,and some courageous individuals are from IVM. Its a gradual process and we jst took a step

1 Like

Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by redcliff: 10:44am On Dec 31, 2014
bushdoc9919:

If we want to make cheap cars locally.....Ajaokuta must be revived. No buts.

Gbam! We must be manufacturing itself not assembling.. whats the difference really? Assembling is still importation!
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by megacool360(m): 10:44am On Dec 31, 2014
redcliff:

If i dont like hyundai products, would you force it down my throat? What if i like a lexus suv and they dont have an assembly plant here and i cant afford a new one?

Do you still require an answer to this? Well, i'll be gracious enough to help you out. Would it be forced down your throat, NO! However, you've got two options; settle for the ones you have here, or cough up the money and go for your taste. It's your choice, whichever way you choose. The policy never said importation of tukumbos is banned, or did it?

1 Like

Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by tunnyflow(m): 10:45am On Dec 31, 2014
amaechionuh:

Even if its assembled NIGERIA CARS and so what? Thank God you called it NIGERIA CAR, that alone I am very proud of because during your Buhari era there was no Nigerian car.

Erm Peugeot nko
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by Collynzo22: 10:46am On Dec 31, 2014
redcliff:

We have not gotten to that point. Infact in adv economies, it would be extremely foolish (not like it cant be done) to buy a tokunbo vehicle from other countries because they manufacture these things there, you have the opportunity of enjoying a fantastic credit facility once you have a verifiable means of id from that country and there are high quality used cars you can purchase at a fantastic price that is below the cost price of a new one...tell me, which does nigeria have?
Things do not just happen like that, you make them to happen. I don't think there was ever a time when those countries were importing 2nd hand cars from abroad while potential manufactures at home were suffering.
We have just taken a step to correct that. By the time we start maufacturing fully, used ones will also be cheaper because we won't have to import them but they will be Nigerian made used cars.
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by Montaque(m): 10:47am On Dec 31, 2014
redcliff:

we have an option,no matter how poor,but we have an option. That options are all the assembly plants and the ones that will start coming in after the implementation of this auto policy. We have endured for too long,only enriching others at our expense.
Let's not stifle the new auto plants that are proudly Nigerian.
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by femorra(m): 10:48am On Dec 31, 2014
Our borders are still very porous, the new increase will just increase revenue for Benin republic
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by amaechionuh(m): 10:48am On Dec 31, 2014
Even a whole Rivers State own transport company (RTC) uses IVM buses. My namesake Amaechi the governor sabi better thing.
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by IyfeNamikaze(m): 10:48am On Dec 31, 2014
kennaustine:
^^^ Whats really wrong with y'all APC propagandist? The increase in tariffs for imported automobile is to encourage local automobile manufacturers. Common SS2 Economics student will tell you that one way of encouraging local production is increasing import tariffs. That's called Import Substitution Strategy. Aren't you ashamed that Nigeria has become a dumping ground for every kind of crap produced in other climes? We have Innoson, PAN, ANNAMCO, VON, Nissan and other automobile manufacturers in Nigeria and we know that government is trying to revitalize them so as to boosts our economy. Yet you criticize this one very good move government makes to see to its realization. Many of these imported cars have been used for above five years and then they're moved to Nigeria for dumping, after which when you buy, you'll use for no more than three years and the money u would have spent on repairs and maintenance may have exceeded the original cost. Some brand new Innoson cars go for 1.5m and they're trying to beat it down to 1m. So which is better ; buying a brand new car for 1.5m and enjoying it for 3 to 4 years without excessive repair cost or buying a tokie car for 800thousand and spending over 500thousand on repairs in 3 years. A relation of mine has spent about 300th on repairs on a tokie car he bought for about 800th and the car IS STILL HAVING ISSUES. Wont it have been better to just buy a brand new made-in-Nigeria car and save yourself some unecessary stress. Why are we so used to cheap craps and worthless articles? Is that what APC wants for us? SMH. Which way Nigeria? #SeeBeyondPropaganda

any body that condemn this move must be and illiterate , an overgrown foolish idiot and an enemy to the country who doesn't want to see the country grow. whoever that can't purchase a car of 1.5m should better go and buy keke or better still buy a bicycle.

1 Like

Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by oliverjiad(m): 10:50am On Dec 31, 2014
Collynzo22:

Who says it is only graduates that can work in the industry.
Even in the oil industry, you will find people who did not even finish secondary school working there in various capacities and earning their living.
The automobile industry will creat jobs for all.
Ohk but increasing the duty will help solve the situation,dont u no many house today is in bad situation bcus of this increment of thing,bros make I tell u even if FG or GEJ want the made in nigeria cars sold and used our road that's not the way to go about it,if I may ask how much is vehicle
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by Nobody: 10:53am On Dec 31, 2014
GEJman:

just look at how you have downgraded yourself? instead of you to pray to God to answer your prayer so u can buy new car other than Tokunbo. Tokunbo is a curse....buy new car
...I ride new truck for your info...
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by oliverjiad(m): 10:54am On Dec 31, 2014
Sir mind ur speech to the Nigerian as fellow nairalanders and Nigerians dey para for this sad so since u can afford #1.5m to buy a car is it everybody in nigeria can afford that I bet over 10million Nigerian can't afford it till 5years come and they can as well get a car at 800k,plz let GEJ or FG let the vehicles sold for 500k,then we're in a new millennium Arise o compatriot fellow nigerians
IyfeNamikaze:

any body that condemn this move must be and illiterate , an overgrown foolish idiot and an enemy to the country who doesn't want to see the country grow. whoever that can't purchase a car of 1.5m should better go and buy keke or better still buy a bicycle.

1 Like

Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by cocoduck: 10:54am On Dec 31, 2014
GEJ thank you ooooooo thus is good news for us technicians, my fellow youths, instead of complaining, follow our steps and acquire a practical skill ie auto technical and repair skills, and learn how to use different tools to make job A LOT EASIER for you and become productive, combined with your university degree, you will even invent and market what you want to without help from the government, for me I plan to convert a car engine to a steam engine (I love steam) I didn't know where to start from until I became a car electrician, now all I need is time, I won't spend much money because I will use discarded engine blocks and pistons and assemble like four v6 engine blocks into one steam engine, by God's grace I will start by the end of the year. I believe in this project because in Nigeria right now this type of engine will be very economical for electricity generation, boat propulsion even in rail transport, the most exciting thing is that I will use discarded materials for most of the parts, in just 3 months I acquired so much knowledge, though my pocket is no longer fat, but if that is the price I have to pay so be it. Right from child hood I knew that office jobs are not for me.

2 Likes

Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by oliverjiad(m): 10:54am On Dec 31, 2014
grin
Omotolu:
...I ride new truck for your info...
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by redcliff: 10:55am On Dec 31, 2014
Montaque:
we have an option,no matter how poor,but we have an option. That options are all the assembly plants and the ones that will start coming in after the implementation of this auto policy. We have endured for too long,only enriching others at our expense.
Let's not stifle the new auto plants that are proudly Nigerian.

Im in support of the policy but its too heavy.. it should slip in gradually! 70 percent is crazy!
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by Collynzo22: 10:56am On Dec 31, 2014
oliverjiad:
Ohk but increasing the duty will help solve the situation,dont u no many house today is in bad situation bcus of this increment of thing,bros make I tell u even if FG or GEJ want the made in nigeria cars sold and used our road that's not the way to go about it,if I may ask how much is vehicle
Believe me, it is the best way to go about it.
The idea is to make those Tokubo vehicles to be unattractive to Nigerians because of their cost, people will patronize made in Nigeria cars more, with time and more competition the cost of brand new Nigerian made cars will fall, cheaper second hand Nigerian made cars will also be available as the first set of buyers begin to sell their own to get newer ones.
The brand new vehicles can be bought for about 3 million naira, many tokubo vehicles are as expensive as that.
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by oliverjiad(m): 10:58am On Dec 31, 2014
redcliff:

Im in support of the policy but its too heavy.. it should slip in gradually! 70 percent is crazy!
abi oo and let d cars sold for 500k atlease malaysia government no make life worse for their citizen on their own likewise Indians too,if I may ask is both materialize in nigeria and made in nigeria,or assembled in nigeria grin
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by Toks2008(m): 10:59am On Dec 31, 2014
Obviously the. Government of the day has nothing more to offer but foes

Incase some of you don't understan, with the sudden fall in naira against dollar,a tokunbo carwould dfntly cost more and now with anotheer possible jerk up I'm duty then it will be devastating.
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by IyfeNamikaze(m): 10:59am On Dec 31, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Automotive policy is not going to work....not with power at 5000MW (South Africa does 40000,South Korea 100000mw),not with Ajaokuta still a rusting hulk, and not without massive investment in technical education (your man GEJ should have removed the fuel subsidy and invested some of the money in technical schools....instead he builds more universities to produce more first class clerks for the govt office...and add more financial liabilities for the future).

he wanted to remove fuel subsidy and You guys ( the short sighted uninformed ones ) occupied the streets of Lagos to protest against progress.

1 Like

Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by Montaque(m): 11:00am On Dec 31, 2014
redcliff:

yes,but it has been said since last year nau. Its not a new thing. Its even replicated in our agric sector in rice nd frozen fish importation, and many nigerians are smiling,including me.
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by oliverjiad(m): 11:00am On Dec 31, 2014
Collynzo22:

Believe me, it is the best way to go about it.
The idea is to make those Tokubo vehicles to be unattractive to Nigerians because of their cost, people will patronize made in Nigeria cars more, with time and more competition the cost of brand new Nigerian made cars will fall, cheaper second hand Nigerian made cars will also be available as the first set of buyers begin to sell their own to get newer ones.
The brand new vehicles can be bought for about 3 million naira, many tokubo vehicles are as expensive as that.
u can imagine 3million for a made in nigeria car shocked angry Aahhh nah wahhh oooo
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by redcliff: 11:01am On Dec 31, 2014
Collynzo22:

Things do not just happen like that, you make them to happen. I don't think there was ever a time when those countries were importing 2nd hand cars from abroad while potential manufactures at home were suffering.
We have just taken a step to correct that. By the time we start maufacturing fully, used ones will also be cheaper because we won't have to import them but they will be Nigerian made used cars.

I doubt that... i would not buy a nigerian car i dont know the owner and history.. so would so many other people.. you dont know what roads those cars drove on, what incompetent mechanic handled the vehicle before your purchase.. if you look closely.. every sector of nigeria is intertwined... you cant expect to fix one and leave one dying.. it would come back to poke you..you fix the rails but you dont fix electricity which modern trsin system are being powered on.. tell me, would the railway system stand the test of time? You introduce an automotive policy but your electricity generation capacity is just 4000mw.. its only a matter if time the system would implode!
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by oliverjiad(m): 11:02am On Dec 31, 2014
IyfeNamikaze:

he wanted to remove fuel subsidy and You guys ( the short sighted uninformed ones ) occupied the streets of Lagos to protest against progress.
fine let him go off the subsidy as well and look into educations as well and they should stop corruption
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by IyfeNamikaze(m): 11:04am On Dec 31, 2014
datbay:
And you think this govt is up to the task....what has he done with the removed subsidy in the last 3years?

maybe you are France , but here in naija the railways are functioning again.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Flying Car Crashes In Canada (Pictures) / Photos From The Official Launch Of Suzuki In Nigeria / Made-in-Nigeria Limousine And Hummer Jeep!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.