Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,132 members, 7,814,954 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:44 AM

Taming Jealousy Before It Ruins Your Relationship - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Taming Jealousy Before It Ruins Your Relationship (641 Views)

Exposed! How Premarital Sex Ruins Your Destiny / African Women With Big Butts, Oyinbo Ladies Would Die Of Jealousy / 15 Ways To Know If A Girl Loves You truly Before She Ruins Your Life . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Taming Jealousy Before It Ruins Your Relationship by argon500: 10:17pm On Jan 02, 2015
Jealousy is a natural human emotion that everyone feels from time to time. It can be found in just about all relationships: parent/child, friendships, boss/employee, and of course, in romantic relationships. It's the romantic relationships in which it can be the most problematic.

A little jealousy is not a bad sign-- it indicates that you care about a person so much that you fear losing that person.

Ironically, though, too much jealousy can end up causing you to destroy your relationship with the very person you feared losing.

Like any other emotion, jealousy is something you need to learn to deal with and express, while not allowing it to rule you. Your relationship may depend on it.

What Is Jealousy Exactly?

Jealousy is often confused with envy, but they're not the same thing. Envy is when you want what others have; jealousy is when you are worried about someone taking away something you have.

If your partner is trustworthy, give him the benefit of the doubt.

It is a complex series of emotions that can be felt in varying intensities. It pops up when your partner is giving too much attention to someone or something other than you. It can be a person— like some guy flirting with your girlfriend.

You might be jealous of your boyfriend’s buddies because he always seems to put hanging out with them ahead of spending time with you. You may even be jealous of your own child— like if your wife is doting too much on the new baby and neglecting you. Jealousy doesn’t even have to be sparked by a person— you could feel jealous of your husband’s job or hobby if it takes.

attention away from you.

The Problem with Excessive Jealousy

When jealousy gets out of hand, it’s usually a sign of deeper problems. The jealous person may be insecure, fear abandonment or lack the ability to trust her partner. She feels threatened by something she sees as having the ability to take her loved one away from her.

That threat doesn’t even have to be real. It can be totally imagined. Your wife may barely ever give her co-worker a second thought, but you may be jealous that she goes to work and spends all day sharing an office with him.

At its worst, jealousy can manifest as obsession, paranoia, attempts to control your partner, abuse or nasty arguments that strain the relationship.

Taming Jealous Impulses

When jealousy strikes, it’s important to realize that it’s not to your partner, or anything she might be paying attention to, that you have to check first. These feelings are coming from inside of you, and nothing your partner changes will ever make them go away.

What you have to check at the first sign of jealousy are your own feelings— are you feeling insecure? Unworthy of love? Are you distressed that your partner will grow tired of you, or realize you’re not worth her time and move on? If so, this is the root of the problem.

If your partner is trustworthy, give him the benefit of the doubt. Talk about your feelings and ask questions without being accusing or confrontational. If communication is difficult, counseling might help.

Don't jump to conclusions about your partner’s every action- smiling at someone is not necessarily flirtation, working late is not always a sign of infidelity, and an unknown phone number could have just been a wrong number. It's important to not let your imagination work overtime, or you'll see what you expect to see rather than what's really there.

Nurture your relationship. Talk, spend time together and do romantic things for each other. The more you do, the more secure you will feel, keeping the old green-eyed monster at bay.
Re: Taming Jealousy Before It Ruins Your Relationship by Kenneth205(m): 10:22pm On Jan 02, 2015
Space booked.
Re: Taming Jealousy Before It Ruins Your Relationship by mizkeleke(f): 11:37pm On Jan 02, 2015
This is helpful. Nice one OP
Re: Taming Jealousy Before It Ruins Your Relationship by whizqueen(f): 11:42pm On Jan 02, 2015
Thoughful!
Re: Taming Jealousy Before It Ruins Your Relationship by fernandoc(m): 11:43pm On Jan 02, 2015
This is exactly what I needed to hear right now. I can be very jealous.
Re: Taming Jealousy Before It Ruins Your Relationship by Oluwatosean(m): 2:29am On Jan 03, 2015
is jealousy only occur among partners?y focus on relatnship alone.
Re: Taming Jealousy Before It Ruins Your Relationship by zeezahbee(f): 2:30am On Jan 03, 2015
Be jealous and die of hypertension, although I sometimes check on my guy but am too busy to die of hypertension undecided
Re: Taming Jealousy Before It Ruins Your Relationship by Nobody: 5:09am On Jan 03, 2015
you should written this for long cry....jealousy destroyed my relationship december 31 2014,am seeing this in 2015

p;ease how can i have her back cry
Re: Taming Jealousy Before It Ruins Your Relationship by Nobody: 5:11am On Jan 03, 2015
fernandoc:
This is exactly what I needed to hear right now. I can be very jealous.
please change ,jealousy ruin my good relationship angry
Re: Taming Jealousy Before It Ruins Your Relationship by mirexxx(f): 3:04pm On Jan 04, 2015
I don't get jealoustongue

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Tell Her ? / Updated!!! Winning A Girl Over / Million Dollar Question

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.