Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,489 members, 7,830,464 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:50 PM

This Certificate Brouhaha Is Disgraceful - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / This Certificate Brouhaha Is Disgraceful (6319 Views)

Attack On Igbos In Bayelsa Is Highly Disgraceful And Condemnable / Why The National Burget Brouhaha Is A Blessing / Why The Buhari Certificate Brouhaha Is Plain Silly. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Certificate Brouhaha Is Disgraceful by maclatunji: 12:08pm On Jan 06, 2015
These are the poignant issues for me regrading the rather inane debate about General Muhammad Buhari's academic/professional credentials.

1. What do INEC rules say about a presidential candidate's credentials and how they can correctly satisfy its requirements to be registered for the election according to the constitution?

2. Has General Buhari met these requirements?

3. If he hasn't, those dissatisfied should go to court and seek redress.

4. If he has, then all of this controversy is rather stupid.

We need to challenge the 2 major presidential candidates on issues that affect us as Nigerians like insecurity, unemployment, the poor state of our economy, crumbling healthcare sector and others.

Nigerians are losing sight of the important issues that we should address during this presidential campaign and it is very sad.

General Muhammadu Buhari and President Goodluck Jonathan are made for life, whether you love or hate them, their families are not likely to know lack and want for a very long time. Hence, it is only wise to address issues that will actually uplift us a as a people rather than prove us to be people that cannot think effectively.

Thank you.

16 Likes

Re: This Certificate Brouhaha Is Disgraceful by whirlwind7(m): 12:17pm On Jan 06, 2015
My thoughts exactly.
The annoying thing is INEC's seeming complacency over the issue. As the regulator, umpire, screener and what have you, over all electoral affairs, why haven't they come out with a categorical statement over the issue, and put it to a final rest?
What criteria and or qualification did they accept when they accepted GMB as a contestant in the past 3 presidential elections and what changed between now and the 2011 election?

4 Likes

Re: This Certificate Brouhaha Is Disgraceful by Trut(m): 12:22pm On Jan 06, 2015
#BuhariShowYourCertificate

22 Likes

Re: This Certificate Brouhaha Is Disgraceful by eagleeye2: 12:33pm On Jan 06, 2015
I believe there are minimum standard of Educational Qualification for everyone aspiring into an elective office in Nigeria.
I don't care what GMB has been presenting to INEC in the past, but if INEC is asking for his certificate then he should provide a proof of it.
Why is this even an issue? If GMB is given a waiver on this one, INEC will be setting a dangerous precedence.

19 Likes

Re: This Certificate Brouhaha Is Disgraceful by taharqa: 12:50pm On Jan 06, 2015
Trut:
#BuhariShowYourCertificate

You dey mind d yeye OP

You people shld show us d certificate as we talk about other things. We can talk and chew at d same time....

14 Likes

Re: This Certificate Brouhaha Is Disgraceful by gregg2: 12:52pm On Jan 06, 2015
It's very shameful of Buhari and his party, the APC.
Total disgrace, I would say.

This matter started like a joke after the PDP had called him a semi-illiterate.
Buhari media team are now resorting to sponsored media propaganda, designing plaques
on Photoshop etc in a desperate attempt to cover. Imagine the mess!!

The man should bury his head in shame

18 Likes

Re: This Certificate Brouhaha Is Disgraceful by maclatunji: 12:57pm On Jan 06, 2015
taharqa:
You dey mind d yeye OP... You people shld show us d certificate as we talk of other things. We can talk and chew at d same time

1 month to the election, you all screaming certificate, that won't prevent Buhari from running but it will prevent the electorate from putting both candidates to task. After the election, do you think whoever is declared winner will have time to address the masses or their wants? It would be time for them to govern, good or bad.

6 Likes

Re: This Certificate Brouhaha Is Disgraceful by maclatunji: 12:59pm On Jan 06, 2015
gregg2:
It's very shameful of Buhari and his party, the APC.
Total disgrace, I would say.

This matter started like a joke after the PDP had called him a semi-iliterate
Imagine the mess!!
Buhari shoul show his certificates or forever bury his head in shame

You are missing the point yet again, have you seen President Jonathan's certificates? Whether you see it or not, would it prevent him from running?

8 Likes

Re: This Certificate Brouhaha Is Disgraceful by maclatunji: 1:03pm On Jan 06, 2015
eagleeye2:
I believe there are minimum standard of Educational Qualification for everyone aspiring into an elective office in Nigeria.
I don't care what GMB has been presenting to INEC in the past, but if INEC is asking for his certificate then he should provide a proof of it.
Why is this even an issue? If GMB is given a waiver on this one, INEC will be setting a dangerous precedence.

This is closer to the point. INEC is not saying they have an issue with General Buhari's credentials. So, what are people going on about on both sides to the detriment of issues of governance that affect all of us?

It is like arguing about a football player's nationality when FIFA has approved them as a player of a team and they are on the field actively changing the outcome of matches. It is at the very least foolishness.

5 Likes

Re: This Certificate Brouhaha Is Disgraceful by Nobody: 1:06pm On Jan 06, 2015
maclatunji:

This is closer to the point. INEC is not saying they have an issue with General Buhari's credentials. So, what are people going on about on both sides to the detriment of issues of governance that affect all of us?

It is like arguing about a football player's nationality when FIFA has approved them as a player of a team and they are on the field actively changing the outcome of matches. It is at the very least foolishness.
now,that is the koko of the matter. Unfortunately,PDP rats are to dumb to understand.

5 Likes

Re: This Certificate Brouhaha Is Disgraceful by BlackPeni5: 1:07pm On Jan 06, 2015
maclatunji:
These are the poignant issues for me regrading the rather inane debate about General Muhammad Buhari's academic/professional credentials.

1. What do INEC rules say about a presidential candidate's credentials and how they can correctly satisfy its requirements to be registered for the election according to the constitution?

2. Has General Buhari met these requirements?

3. If he hasn't, those dissatisfied should go to court and seek redress.

4. If he has, then all of this controversy is rather stupid.

We need to challenge the 2 major presidential candidates on issues that affect us as Nigerians like insecurity, unemployment, the poor state of our economy, crumbling healthcare sector and others.

Nigerians are losing sight of the important issues that we should address during this presidential campaign and it is very sad.

General Muhammadu Buhari and President Goodluck Jonathan are made for life, whether you love or hate them, their families are not likely to know lack and want for a very long time. Hence, it is only wise to address issues that will actually uplift us a as a people rather than prove us to be people that cannot think effectively.

Thank you.

Your defense is as clueless as the APC itself. What is more disgraceful is APC's response to the controversy.

If you are clamouring for positive change, then you should come to the table with clean hands. Why waste time going to court when you can end a controversy by simply making your certificate available.

I find it more pitiable that GMB supporters talk about his credibility as a good leader and close their eyes to his deficiency (if any) about his certificate. If GMB wins 2015 elections (which is very likely) without providing his certificates or other relevant evidence, it will open the door for everybody who was either expelled from school or with incomplete results to have a case. Afterall, they attended school even if there is no evidence that they graduated.

The more responses I read from APC, the more I believe that GMB really does not have a certificate.

16 Likes

Re: This Certificate Brouhaha Is Disgraceful by deji68: 1:10pm On Jan 06, 2015
I think the Certificate Palaver is a big disgrace for GMB,....for us it is not too much to ask our leaders to meet the standard they thy set for us cool cool

8 Likes

Re: This Certificate Brouhaha Is Disgraceful by gregg2: 1:14pm On Jan 06, 2015
maclatunji:

You are missing the point yet again, have you seen President Jonathan's certificates? Whether you see it or not, would it prevent him from running?

President Jonathan made a 2nd class (upper) from Uniport.
His MSc and Phd certificates are all available.
Buhari should show his certificates

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Certificate Brouhaha Is Disgraceful by maclatunji: 1:19pm On Jan 06, 2015
BlackPeni5:

Your defense is as clueless as the APC itself.

If you are clamouring for positive change, then you should come to the table with clean hands. Why waste time going to court when you can end a controversy by simply making your certificate available.

I find it more pitiable that GMB supporters talk about his credibility as a good leader and close their eyes to his deficiency (if any) about his certificate. If GMB wins 2015 elections (which is very likely) without providing his certificates or other relevant evidence, it will open the door for everybody who was either expelled from school or with incomplete results to have a case. Afterall, they attended school even if there is no evidence that they graduated.

The more responses I read from APC, the more I believe that GMB really does not have a certificate.

Who determines if a candidate is qualified, you? me? You can check, I have not bothered commenting on this certificate issue because I think it is just ridiculous. It is either Buhari is qualified to run or he isn't. If INEC says he is qualified to run and you say he isn't, then by all means go to court. But for you not to do so and keep raising the issue means you are not serious about this country. #QED

It is a joke on the people.

3 Likes

Re: This Certificate Brouhaha Is Disgraceful by maclatunji: 1:20pm On Jan 06, 2015
gregg2:

President Jonathan made a 2nd class (upper) from Uniport.
His MSc and Phd certificates are all available.
Buhari should show his certificates

You have sighted them as you have sighted mine? #LOL

3 Likes

Re: This Certificate Brouhaha Is Disgraceful by BlackPeni5: 1:24pm On Jan 06, 2015
maclatunji:

Who determines if a candidate is qualified, you? me? You can check, I have not bothered commenting on this certificate issue because I think it is just ridiculous. It is either Buhari is qualified to run or he isn't. If INEC says he is qualified to run and you say he isn't, then by all means go to court. But for you not to do so and keep raising the issue means you are not serious about this country. #QED

It is a joke on the people.

I do not agree with you one bit. Why are you afraid of commenting on his certificate? Is it because you don't want to dent the image you have already created in your head? Let us not forget Stella Odua's certificate saga. People even called for her resignation.

It is not INEC that will vote in Feb 2015, it is you and me. We ought to know the credentials of whoever is going to lead us. If any villager with Nigerian citizenship is qualified to lead us by the constitution, so be it. But if we are going to live by rules, it should be followed to the latter irrespective of who's ox is gored.

16 Likes

Re: This Certificate Brouhaha Is Disgraceful by maclatunji: 1:24pm On Jan 06, 2015
Amazing how people cannot apply logic to this simple issue. It is the same reason Nigeria is not likely to achieve its true potentials anytime soon.

Something like this happened with Barack Obama and Donald Trump but at some point Americans had to leave Trump to rant because following him on the issue would be tantamount to stupidity. The reverse is happening here in Nigeria, with people holding on to the stupid part and leaving real issues that affect them.

1 Like

Re: This Certificate Brouhaha Is Disgraceful by maclatunji: 1:26pm On Jan 06, 2015
BlackPeni5:

I do not agree with you one bit. Why are you afraid of commenting on his certificate? Is it because you don't want to dent the image you have already created in your head?

It is not INEC that will vote in Feb 2015, it is you and me. We ought to know the credentials of whoever is going to lead us. If any villager with Nigerian citizenship is qualified to lead us by the constitution, so be it. But if we are going to live by rules, it should be followed to the latter irrespective of who's ox is gored.

You mean INEC cannot effectively screen candidates to run for president? If for any reason this is true, then we should scrap it altogether and not waste our time with elections? It is just common sense.
Re: This Certificate Brouhaha Is Disgraceful by gratiaeo(m): 1:49pm On Jan 06, 2015
Another APC meaningless post. We will leave APC in their own delusion until INEC comes on 16- 18 of January for final screening, we will know what exactly they are going to screen

16 Likes

Re: This Certificate Brouhaha Is Disgraceful by BlackPeni5: 1:52pm On Jan 06, 2015
maclatunji:

You mean INEC cannot effectively screen candidates to run for president? If for any reason this is true, then we should scrap it altogether and not waste our time with elections? It is just common sense.

From what I am seeing, even INEC is afraid of the truth it may expose. If INEC goes ahead to screen and disqualify GMB, GEJ will take the blame and innocent people living in the North will die. Whether it is INEC that is supposed to do the screening or APC what we are asking for is that, his certificates should be provided because these are serious allegations.

What if GMB enjoyed some benefits he was not entitled to in the Nigerian Army when he joined. Such as allowing him to attend the NDA (not what it was called then) without the required certificates. Yes, he may be a graduate but his admission in the first place may be questionable which will disqualify his final certificate eventually. Eg when schools withdraws certificates from students who have already graduated for certificate fraud.

Nevertheless, I don't want to assume too much. The best way to clear the air is for him to provide his certificates or any other evidence and end all this embarrasment. With that, GMB stands a better chance to beat GEJ in February.

9 Likes

Re: This Certificate Brouhaha Is Disgraceful by brownlord: 2:06pm On Jan 06, 2015
I don't understand the essence of this thread, The APC change crew have forgotten so soon we are trying to effect a change which is their slogan, before you tell me how it was possible for him to run 2003 to 2011 without this issue, well the good news is that the issue is here now, rather than sweep it under carpet, i expect Buhari to shame Jonathan and PDP show Nigerian's his certificate and we forget this issue.

Coming here to talk about logic, Obama, trump and all the nonsense is plainly stupiiid.

Buhari can't tell us how he intend to solve boko haram so Jonathan won't steal the idea.

Buhari can't tell us how he intend to generate power so Jonathan won't steal the idea.

Buhari can't tell us how he intend to fight corruption while having the most corrupt politicians in his cabinet.

Maybe APC think's Nigerians are cows and buhari's robot.

If Buhari is too big to show to Nigerian's his certificate, then you expect him to give account of stewardship or to allow the press criticize his govt.? What a joke

15 Likes

Re: This Certificate Brouhaha Is Disgraceful by PassingShot(m): 2:10pm On Jan 06, 2015
BlackPeni5:

From what I am seeing, even INEC is afraid of the truth it may expose. If INEC goes ahead to screen and disqualify GMB, GEJ will take the blame and innocent people living in the North will die. Whether it is INEC that is supposed to do the screening or APC what we are asking for is that, his certificates should be provided because these are serious allegations.

What if GMB enjoyed some benefits he was not entitled to in the Nigerian Army when he joined. Such as allowing him to attend the NDA (not what it was called then) without the required certificates. Yes, he may be a graduate but his admission in the first place may be questionable which will disqualify his final certificate eventually. Eg when schools withdraws certificates from students who have already graduated for certificate fraud.

Nevertheless, I don't want to assume too much. The best way to clear the air is for him to provide his certificates or any other evidence and end all this embarrasment. With that, GMB stands a better chance to beat GEJ in February.

I will expect GMB/APC to get a new set of his certificates in due course. No doubt about that.

However, it is dumb to take attention away from real issues to certificate that we all know he has. He attended NDA and US War College and the military already say they have copies of his credentials including certificates. So what else if not dumbness.

Or has IBB denied the claim by APC that his boys took away his certificates when he was overthrown?
Re: This Certificate Brouhaha Is Disgraceful by Demdem(m): 2:18pm On Jan 06, 2015
Buhari isn't bound by law to show any fool his private property. what the electoral law expects from him, he has satisfied and Inec is happy, NA has reaffirmed. Case closed, at least for now.
Wettin concern agbero with overload?
If any fool still desire more details and demand to see, such should go to court to compel the General. What these fools can do is what they are currently doing which is to shout aimlessly.
I could remember when we demanded that Jonathan should publicly state his worth and assets the way Yaradua did. The fool told us on national TV that he has done what the law expects from him and his form is with CCB.
The same way, buhari has complied with the electoral law and that is it.

2 Likes

Re: This Certificate Brouhaha Is Disgraceful by BlackPeni5: 2:18pm On Jan 06, 2015
PassingShot:

I will expect GMB/APC to get a new set of his certificates in due course. No doubt about that.

However, it is dumb to take attention away from real issues to certificate that we all know he has. He attended NDA and US War College and the military already say they have copies of his credentials including certificates. So what else if not dumbness.

Or has IBB denied the claim by APC that his boys took away his certificates when he was overthrown?

Guy...what is dumb here is to ignore something as important as the credentials of a candidate. This is a real issue amongst other issues. If you do not consider certificate forgery or lying under oath a serious act of corruption, then I'm sorry for you.

However, there are other issues bedevilling our dear nation, which is greater than either GMB or GEJ which should be addressed.

2 Likes

Re: This Certificate Brouhaha Is Disgraceful by PassingShot(m): 2:20pm On Jan 06, 2015
BlackPeni5:

Guy...what is dumb here is to ignore something as important as the credentials of a candidate. This is a real issue amongst other issues. If you do not consider certificate forgery or lying under oath a serious act of corruption, then I'm sorry for you.

However, there are other issues bedevilling our dear nation, which is greater than either GMB or GEJ which should be addressed.

You failed to address my post!
Re: This Certificate Brouhaha Is Disgraceful by BlackPeni5: 2:24pm On Jan 06, 2015
PassingShot:

You failed to address my post!

The Military did not mention GMB's name. It was simply a generic statement. Buhari's own may the there or it may not be there. Yes he attended the NDA and US War College but the question is ...Was he even qualified to have attended these colleges?

Now we are just learning that he only attended a course in the US War College (International Fellow) and was not a graduate per se. Lets allow him (GMB) defend himself.

4 Likes

Re: This Certificate Brouhaha Is Disgraceful by maclatunji: 2:27pm On Jan 06, 2015
gratiaeo:
Another APC meaningless post. We will leave APC in their own delusion until INEC comes on 16- 18 of January for final screening, we will know what exactly they are going to screen

You are beginning to learn how to address issues.
Re: This Certificate Brouhaha Is Disgraceful by maclatunji: 2:29pm On Jan 06, 2015
BlackPeni5:

GEJ will not take any blame. INEC should simply do its job. #QED
Re: This Certificate Brouhaha Is Disgraceful by Ngwakwe: 2:30pm On Jan 06, 2015
Is Buhari not the same man that was too big to honour simple invite to Justice Oputa Reconciliatory Panel setup by OBJ regime?

Forget about the obdurate despot and ragtag veteran.

Go to court my foot. How many times have Buhari's supporters gone to court quietly without overheating the polity with their media accomplices and social media attack robots.

Change my foot, they want to set us back by another 30 years.

We already have freedom and some measure of transparency they intend to deny us.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Certificate Brouhaha Is Disgraceful by BlackPeni5: 2:36pm On Jan 06, 2015
maclatunji:

GEJ will not take any blame. INEC should simply do its job. #QED

Only the courts can disqualify GMB. Even though a formal petition have not been written, the onus is on him to clear his name before such a petition is written.

“What do you want INEC to do? INEC cannot disqualify anybody and there is nothing we can do. We don’t have any power to disqualify him.He didn’t bring it (certificates) and so there is nothing INEC can do. INEC cannot disqualify him and cannot remove his name. It is only the courts that can disqualify him, if they feel there is something wrong that he has done. I am not aware of any (petition); none that I am aware of for now. I am not aware of any (petition). I am not aware of any so far,” Osaze-Uzzi said.

Buhari had in an affidavit which he deposed to at a High Court of the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, explained that all his academic credentials were with the Secretary, Military Board.

http://www.punchng.com/news/only-court-can-disqualify-buhari-inec/
Re: This Certificate Brouhaha Is Disgraceful by maclatunji: 2:46pm On Jan 06, 2015
Ngwakwe:
Is Buhari not the same man that was too big to honour simple invite to Justice Oputa Reconciliatory Panel setup by OBJ regime?

Forget about the obdurate despot and ragtag veteran.

Go to court my foot. How many times have Buhari's supporters gone to court quietly without overheating the polity with their media accomplices and social media attack robots.

Change my foot, they want to set us back by another 30 years.

We already have freedom and some measure of transparency they intend to deny us.

This is ridiculous, what do we have a government for when you make going to court to seek justice look like detonating a nuclear bomb? It is better that we take proper steps to address issues rather than the macabre dance of the absurd that we keep engaging in.

3 Likes

Re: This Certificate Brouhaha Is Disgraceful by Ngwakwe: 2:51pm On Jan 06, 2015
BlackPeni5:

Only the courts can disqualify GMB. Even though a formal petition have not been written, the onus is on him to clear his name before such a petition is written.

We just want an improvement to what we already have. Is it not part of the change they preach?

Is change about secrecy? In our offices, every opaque partitions are being removed for transparent glasses.

This is 21st century, we want wired and programmable leaders and not an "experiment" in a thriving democracy.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

President Buhari's Daughter Zahra Addresses Gov. Nasir El-rufai Wedding Rumour / Gay Protest Led By Gaylord Mr Omoyele Sowore Owner Of Saharareporters. / Nigerians Don't Need Crude Oil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.