Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,842 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:25 AM

Why Do Nigerian Women Blame Battered Women - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Nigerian Women Blame Battered Women (3038 Views)

Woman Left Bloodied After Her Husband Battered Her. Graphic Pics / See How A Wife Was Battered By Her Husband On Christmas Day / Woman Battered By Her Husband For Refusing Sex (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Blame Battered Women by SAMBARRY: 10:56am On Jan 14, 2015
Timbuktou:
You're an entertaining troll, mainly because of your amusing ability to say much without any substance, you know, the fox chasing it's own tail. What, pray tell, do you think I wannabe that I already ain't?

I challenge you to articulate your thoughts(?), if any such thing exists, in a manner suggestive of someone with a functional brain. I have enormous faith in you as a human. smiley
abegiiii stop feigning intelligence jare.a stoopeed person is a stooppeed person especially at 40 upwards grin

abegiiii clearat of my way joor.troll ko lorry ni cheesy grin

That is my good bye message to you from Tony except you want to be ranting like generator wey no wan gree off.

EOD

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Blame Battered Women by Nobody: 11:01am On Jan 14, 2015
SAMBARRY:
abegiiii stop feigning intelligence jare.a stoopeed person is a stooppeed person especially at 40 upwards grin

On this we are both agreed. Which is why I'm not surprised at your unwitting self-diagnosis. wink. You really can choose not to reply me, you look stuupid saying goodbye and coming back to holler, but then, you're you. wink

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Blame Battered Women by pickabeau1: 11:06am On Jan 14, 2015
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Blame Battered Women by SAMBARRY: 12:25pm On Jan 14, 2015
Timbuktou:
On this we are both agreed. Which is why I'm not surprised at your unwitting self-diagnosis. wink. You really can choose not to reply me, you look stuupid saying goodbye and coming back to holler, but then, you're you. wink
you look more stooped not heeding to the admonishions of tony gaskins but as usual a stoopeed person will always be a stoopeed person.even the bible say a fool will always discard words of wisdom because folly abideth in him

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Blame Battered Women by irunoko(m): 12:28pm On Jan 14, 2015
SAMBARRY:
you look more stooped not heeding to the admonishions of tony gaskins but as usual a stoopeed person will always be a stoopeed person.even the bible say a fool will always discard words of wisdom because folly abideth in him
don't mind him grin grin
Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Blame Battered Women by Nobody: 12:35pm On Jan 14, 2015
SAMBARRY:
Yet you refuse to heed the words of this Gaskin fella? In a sane environment, you'd be changed up. Your comments give the distinct feeling of you looking in the mirror and seeing me; which means there's something wrong with that mirror, your eyes, your brain, your mind or all listed. I assure you, Kulyie, I'm not you and you couldn't possibly be the awesome-ness that is me. Make quick so seek help of the right kind.

PS: It's admonitions, not admonishions, by the way. It's not a yoruba word. Just my quota to educating the semi-literates of the world. You're welcome. wink

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Blame Battered Women by SAMBARRY: 12:42pm On Jan 14, 2015
Timbuktou:
Yet you refuse to heed the words of this Gaskin fella? In a sane environment, you'd be changed up. Your comments give the distinct feeling of you looking in the mirror and seeing me; which means there's something wrong with that mirror, your eyes, your brain, your mind or all listed. I assure you, Kulyie, I'm not you and you couldn't possibly be the awesome-ness that is me. Make quick so seek help of the right kind.
you are not even making any sense AT ALL. No iota of rationality in your post . All I see is rantings of an egocentric boy making empty/meaningless noise undecided

abeg scram jare! It is not by force to post on nl.arindin
Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Blame Battered Women by SAMBARRY: 12:47pm On Jan 14, 2015
Errmmm there are many universities and secondary schools all across the country. Channel your ranting skills there. They will give you black board and chalk including other materials that will aid your students to learn. That's even if they allow you to instead of making noise here that don't hold any thing grin

speaking of empty barrels that make the loudest noise. Oponu grin
Timbuktou:

PS: It's admonitions, not [I]admonishions[/i], by the way. It's not a yoruba word. Just my quota to educating the semi-literates of the world. You're welcome. wink
Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Blame Battered Women by pickabeau1: 12:49pm On Jan 14, 2015
pronounce A C T I O N

Akshion grin

I think you guys should get a room

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Blame Battered Women by Nobody: 12:49pm On Jan 14, 2015
SAMBARRY:
you are not even making any sense AT ALL. No iota of rationality in your post . All I see is rantings of an egocentric boy making empty/meaningless noise undecided

abeg scram jare! It is not by force to post on nl.arindin
Rationality doesn't exist in the same sphere as you, as such, I expect it to fly over your head.

How about you ignore my posts which, by all accounts, you are neither forced to read nor respond to? Now, that would be rational. How rational are you, Kulyie?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Blame Battered Women by SAMBARRY: 12:53pm On Jan 14, 2015
Timbuktou:
Rationality doesn't exist in the same sphere as you, as such, I expect it to fly over your head.

How about you ignore my posts which, by all accounts, you are neither forced to read nor respond to? Now, that would be rational. How rational are you, Kulyie?
the more you type the more stewwpeed you appear. STOP QUOTING ME AND FEIGNING INTELLIGENCE because you and I know you are not. You no dey taya ni Mr elejo wewe grin

wannabe quack lecturer grin
Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Blame Battered Women by pickabeau1: 12:54pm On Jan 14, 2015
Timbuktou

shes not going to stop

grin
Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Blame Battered Women by Nobody: 12:55pm On Jan 14, 2015
pickabeau1:
pronounce A C T I O N

Akshion grin

I think you guys should get a room
Hehehehe.

A room? Et tou, Pick, you want her to epileptically bite of me schlong? Haba, wickidness in ze brotherhood? grin Anyway, if you mean a classroom, I'd have to agree. Apparently, Pocahontas, here, has been too long in the company of dolts and as such is in a state of shock at the rude awakening. All this ninja-ness is a reflex attempt to restore some non-existent dignity.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Blame Battered Women by SAMBARRY: 12:56pm On Jan 14, 2015
pickabeau1:
Timbuktou

shes not going to stop

grin
timbu aka mr wannabe lecturer heed picka's advice.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Blame Battered Women by pickabeau1: 12:58pm On Jan 14, 2015
Timbuktou:
Hehehehe.

A room? Et tou, Pick, you want her to epileptically bite of me schlong? Haba, wickidness in ze brotherhood? grin Anyway, if you mean a classroom, I'd have to agree. Apparently, Pocahontas, here, has been too long in the company of dolts and as such is in a state of shock at the rude awakening. All this ninja-ness is a reflex attempt to restore some non-existent dignity.

Na so
grin grin
She will not stop
Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Blame Battered Women by SAMBARRY: 12:59pm On Jan 14, 2015
grin

Timbuktou:
Hehehehe.

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Blame Battered Women by Beamborla(f): 1:00pm On Jan 14, 2015
Because in this part of the world, women are seen as mere possession which must dance to every tune the owner plays.

It painful because right from childhood, the society tells the girl child that marriage is the sole purpose of her existence. She must do everything to get married and remain married.

Hence, whenever her husband beats her, she must have done something wrong and must learn to endure and suffer in silence.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Blame Battered Women by babygirlfl: 1:02pm On Jan 14, 2015
Beamborla:
Because in this part of the world, women are seen as mere possession which must dance to every tune the owner plays.

It painful because right from childhood, the society tells the girl child that marriage is the sole purpose of her existence. She must do everything to get married and remain married.

Hence, whenever her husband beats her, she must have done something wrong and must learn to endure and suffer in silence.

Exactly

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Blame Battered Women by SAMBARRY: 1:05pm On Jan 14, 2015
Timbu

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Blame Battered Women by pickabeau1: 1:06pm On Jan 14, 2015
let me ask u a q

so as educated and enlightened as i believe u are

1. you still see yourself as a possession of someone who has no mind of her own?

2. Is marriage the purpose of your existence

Yes or NO would suffice to each of the questions

Beamborla:

It painful because right from childhood, the society tells the girl child that marriage is the sole purpose of her existence
. She must do everything to get married and remain married.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Blame Battered Women by Nobody: 1:09pm On Jan 14, 2015
SAMBARRY:
the more you type the more stewwpeed you appear. STOP QUOTING ME AND FEIGNING INTELLIGENCE because you and I know you are not. You no dey taya ni Mr elejo wewe grin

wannabe quack lecturer grin
Stop mentioning intelligence, you'll make it lose its meaning.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Blame Battered Women by Nobody: 1:17pm On Jan 14, 2015
Beamborla:

1. Because in this part of the world, women are seen as mere possession which must dance to every tune the owner plays.

2. It painful because right from childhood, the society tells the girl child that marriage is the sole purpose of her existence. She must do everything to get married and remain married.

3. Hence, whenever her husband beats her, she must have done something wrong and must learn to endure and suffer in silence.

Ahem...
1. Women are seen as possession everywhere in the world, I assure. The difference exists in the prevalence of this opinion. My point is not everyone sees women as possession. You are either possession or not, if you are, don't blame it on society. I don't consider Mrs. Timbuktou possession, and I assure you she doesn't either.

2. You also fail to mention that society also demands that males get married too and, in fact, groom them to be husbands and fathers. Unless you're saying men are exempt from marriage and women marry only women? I don't know any culture/tribe in Nigeria who looks favourably on unmarried men. Enlighten me, please.

3. First of all, only a psycho husband would beat an unerring wife. This is not to say that wife-battery is acceptable, of course. But if a man is silly enough to resort to violence against his wife, the first thing the women, who aren't the law by the way, should do is find out why she was battered in the first place.

A pertinent question would be, why do women still get battered despite extreme legislation aimed at quelling the act?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Blame Battered Women by SAMBARRY: 1:19pm On Jan 14, 2015
Timbuktou:
Stop mentioning intelligence, you'll make it lose its meaning.
ehennn so in your mind na you think you are intelligent and the balderdash you typed reeks of intelligence? grin

I can see the people who are deceiving you are many grin grin

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Blame Battered Women by Beamborla(f): 1:21pm On Jan 14, 2015
pickabeau1:
let me ask u a q

so as educated and enlightened as i believe u are

1. you still see yourself as a possession of someone who has no mind of her own?

2. Is marriage the purpose of your existence

Yes or NO would suffice to each of the questions

Excuse you! I only answered a question.
And your questions seem to be out of place.
If you do not agree with me, kindly counter it. I wrote what I see in the society concerning the question asked

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Blame Battered Women by pickabeau1: 1:28pm On Jan 14, 2015
Beamborla:

Excuse you! I only answered a question.
And your questions seem to be out of place.
If you do not agree with me, kindly counter it. I wrote what I see in the society concerning the question asked

Do you actually expect any drivel posted online and liked to be accepted by all and sundry

If you see yourself as a chattel, i am sure there are countless nigerian ladies who dont

I see them everyday on the boards of this forum, challenging notions from guys, questioning motives and telling ladies not to accept spousal abuse

if you do not see yourself as one and they dont ... who then is the possession

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Blame Battered Women by Beamborla(f): 1:29pm On Jan 14, 2015
Timbuktou:
Ahem...
1. Women are seen as possession everywhere in the world, I assure. The difference exists in the prevalence of this opinion. My point is not everyone sees women as possession. You are either possession or not, if you are, don't blame it on society. I don't consider Mrs. Timbuktou possession, and I assure you she doesn't either.

2. You also fail to mention that society also demands that males get married too and, in fact, groom them to be husbands and fathers. Unless you're saying men are exempt from marriage and women marry only women? I don't know any culture/tribe in Nigeria who looks favourably on unmarried men. Enlighten me, please.

3. First of all, only a psycho husband would beat an unerring wife. This is not to say that wife-battery is acceptable, of course. But if a man is silly enough to resort to violence against his wife, the first thing the women, who aren't the law by the way, should do is find out why she was battered in the first place.

A pertinent question would be, why do women still get battered despite extreme legislation aimed at quelling the act?

You are right. if you do not see your wife as a possession, there are guys out there who do.

The society always see little or nothing wrong with recklessness on the part of the masculine gender.

My point is, the society has placed a whole lot of limitations on women that to some extent, some do not even know their right anymore.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Blame Battered Women by Beamborla(f): 1:34pm On Jan 14, 2015
pickabeau1:

Do you actually expect any drivel posted online and liked to be accepted by all and sundry

If you see yourself as a chattel, i am sure there are countless nigerian ladies who dont

I see them everyday on the boards of this forum, challenging notions from guys, questioning motives and telling ladies not to accept spousal abuse

if you do not see yourself as one and they dont ... who then is the possession

Then you should be able to explain Why some women would prefer to die an unhappy marriage rather than speak out and liberate themselves.

Why are you getting me all wrong?. In this part of the women are seen as mere possession is quite different from women see themselves as mere possession or are mere possessions.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Blame Battered Women by Nobody: 1:43pm On Jan 14, 2015
Beamborla:

You are right. if you do not see your wife as a possession, there are guys out there who do.

The society always see little or nothing wrong with recklessness on the part of the masculine gender.

My point is, the society has placed a whole lot of limitations on women that to some extent, some do not even know their right anymore.
Other men thinking my wife is possession is absolutely irrelevant to me.

What do you mean by recklessness on the part of the masculine gender? Please, elaborate.

We can say the same for men, but we'd be wrong to blame society. Society tends to do what's best for it and so should humans.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Blame Battered Women by Beamborla(f): 1:52pm On Jan 14, 2015
Timbuktou:

Other men thinking my wife is possession is absolutely irrelevant to me.

What do you mean by recklessness on the part of the masculine gender? Please, elaborate.

We can say the same for men, but we'd be wrong to blame society. Society tends to do what's best for it and so should humans.

Lol... not your wife, I meant there are guys out there who see women as a mere possession.

Everyone seem to excuse the flaws of the masculine gender with phrases of this nature 'he's a man. That's how they behave' and to the wife 'marriage is not a bed of rose, Divorce is not a good thing, you just have to keep enduring and keep praying for him'

When I used the word society, I was referring to our values, customs, norms and tradition.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Blame Battered Women by pickabeau1: 1:53pm On Jan 14, 2015
Beamborla:

Then you should be able to explain Why some women would prefer to die an unhappy marriage rather than speak out and liberate themselves.

Why are you getting me all wrong?. In this part of the women are seen as mere possession is quite different from women see themselves as mere possession or are mere possessions.

But you and I are the society

You are not a possession
I dont see my partner as a possession or puppet

What then is the issue

If you said this 20 years ago, you may have had more of a point
If you spoke about those who live in Northern Nigeria, I will agree

Why refer to society when a lot of people are not living according to the dictates of the same society or societal trends are changing

A few years ago, polygamy was acceptable, now its old fashioned
Women own property
They have careers

Why still refer to a generic "They are possessions, or puppets or fish brains" excuse

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Blame Battered Women by Beamborla(f): 2:26pm On Jan 14, 2015
pickabeau1:

But you and I are the society

You are not a possession
I dont see my partner as a possession or puppet

What then is the issue

If you said this 20 years ago, you may have had more of a point
If you spoke about those who live in Northern Nigeria, I will agree

Why refer to society when a lot of people are not living according to the dictates of the same society or societal trends are changing

A few years ago, polygamy was acceptable, now its old fashioned
Women own property
They have careers

Why still refer to a generic "They are possessions, or puppets or fish brains" excuse

Like I said earlier, I answered a question based on what I see in the society.
Polygamy because outdated cos of it's numerous disadvantages.
The society still influence our way of life to a large extent. When a man cheats, the wife is expected to forgive and look for ways to bring him back home but when the wife cheats, it would be all over the net 'a married woman caught in the act with her lover' and comments like 'she's such a disgrace to womanhood' would follow. The society does not frown at a promiscuous man like it does to a promiscuous woman. Even most of our home videos preach endurance to a fault

Societal trends are changing only in written words but in actions, it remains the same

The fact that a woman owns cars and properties does not mean she automatically is not a victim of domestic violence. She could be

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Blame Battered Women by pickabeau1: 3:12pm On Jan 14, 2015
Polygamy is not the issue..i used it as an example

Let me make it clear since it seems u are not getting it

Modern women like i believe you are cannot come to forums and still be ranting that society has made them powerless to take their destiny

The case of women owning property was to let you know the same society that said it was strange for women to own property donkey years ago finds it normal

Beamborla:

Like I said earlier, I answered a question based on what I see in the society.
Polygamy because outdated cos of it's numerous disadvantages.
The society still influence our way of life to a large extent. When a man cheats, the wife is expected to forgive and look for ways to bring him back home but when the wife cheats, it would be all over the net 'a married woman caught in the act with her lover' and comments like 'she's such a disgrace to womanhood' would follow. The society does not frown at a promiscuous man like it does to a promiscuous woman. Even most of our home videos preach endurance to a fault

Societal trends are changing only in written words but in actions, it remains the same

The fact that a woman owns cars and properties does not mean she automatically is not a victim of domestic violence. She could be

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Removed / Those From A Polygamous Family / Married For 5 Years And My Partner Hardly Want S*x Anymore! What Can I Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.