Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,141 members, 7,814,996 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:11 AM

The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... (26430 Views)

Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. / Ekiti As The Largest Subgroup Of The Yorubas / To The Yorubas, Have You Ever Been Told To Ask For Arodan? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by bunmioguns(m): 6:53pm On Jan 15, 2015
Still observing
Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by idu1(m): 6:54pm On Jan 15, 2015
Na robot dey put to topics for fp again?
Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by talktofemi: 6:54pm On Jan 15, 2015
Beamborla:
Lol... my mum sent me on such errand once and I was lucky the woman told me to sit down while she prepares the 'Arodan'... I woke up later in the day in my house.
The one that really got me was in secondary school, I was still a JJC in the hostel then. One senior sent me to collect a book titled 'YOUR JOURNEY WILL NEVER END' hmmmm...I waka that day no be small

You must be a naughty gal then.

Btw, nice pix. Tell ur mum to send you to me for arodan
Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by RealSleek(m): 6:54pm On Jan 15, 2015
Laitesmart:
I was relaxing yesterday in my room when a child came in with a message from his mum asking him to come collect the ARODAN his mum gave to me. I couldn't stop laughing after sending the boy on his way as he just took me down the memory lane.

Well. Yoruba parents can be funny at times. They sometime send their errant children on mission impossible in a futile search quest.

When we were still young and highly stubborn or disturbing... Our parent would always use the ARODAN approach to get us busy... They would always ask us to go and collect ARODAN from somebody. On getting there, the person will redirect you to another person who will in turn redirect you to another person till you get all tired since ARODAN is the only Yoruba word that has no meaning used to punish erring or disturbing children.

The last time I was sent on such mission... I suffer ooo!!! I was redirected close to twelve times before the last man took pity on me and ask me to go tell my mum that he would send it thru his child.

What was your own ARODAN experience?

I actually ve to disagree with u on dis one, ARODaN has meaning....ARO means stand, DAN means STILL(nt sure) , together it means stand still ...I dnt blame u tho, its one of those yoruba words , new age children are not that familiar with
Wht people do is make a very naughty child to sit and wait endlessly to get u off ur mum's neck

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by expert1000: 6:55pm On Jan 15, 2015
Change is possible

1 Like

Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by SuPeRq(f): 6:55pm On Jan 15, 2015
hannysur8:
My mother will send me to iya Muri, she will tell me to go and collect Omotoyiogbon ....d woman will just beat me like die at time she will give me serious punishment.
can't jaz stop laughing
Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by Nobody: 6:55pm On Jan 15, 2015
I will never try that with my kid oo. How can you send your kid on a meaningless erand in a world that is full of child molesters, kidnappers and ritualists? Madness.
Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by Nobody: 6:56pm On Jan 15, 2015
Lmao.
Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by temmyben(f): 6:59pm On Jan 15, 2015
I was such a gentle gal dat such task wasn't given to me
Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by robay(m): 7:00pm On Jan 15, 2015
meshacha1:
Sorry for your ignorance, I hope you won't do that to your children.
Anyway my parent never send me such message.
Broz na lie,just say d truth grin
Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by Nobody: 7:01pm On Jan 15, 2015
koice:
I will never try that with my kid oo. How can you send your kid on a meaningless erand in a world that is full of child molesters, kidnappers and ritualists? Madness.

When arodan began, the world wasn't this way.

12 Likes

Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by gistmelove(m): 7:04pm On Jan 15, 2015
Urgent Needed

and Secretary

Send Ur C.v to: batlanrooftile@ gmail.com or engr.ayyub@gmail.com

Contact No: 08120819063, 08085310359

PH Branch : 608, ikwerre road by mcc second gate bus-stop rumuigbo Port Harcourt, River State..

The company are major importer of building materials.. Such as ; stone coated roofing tiles,Doors,floor tiles,sanitary wares and so on

company website.. Www.batlanbuildingmaterial.com or www.batlanroof.com

BATLAN WE CARE FOR YOUR ROOF!!!
Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by Bibol(f): 7:05pm On Jan 15, 2015
My dad tried this thing with me once. I trekked tire that day ehn! The day I read the book "My Father's Daughter" and learnt the meaning, I was no longer fooled.
The tricks our parents played on us as kids cheesy

3 Likes

Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by Nicepoker(m): 7:06pm On Jan 15, 2015
Beamborla:
Lol... my mum sent me on such errand once and I was lucky the woman told me to sit down while she prepares the 'Arodan'... I woke up later in the day in my house.
The one that really got me was in secondary school, I was still a JJC in the hostel then. One senior sent me to collect a book titled 'YOUR JOURNEY WILL NEVER END' hmmmm...I waka that day no be small
that ur sec school story is a lie.
Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by Nobody: 7:07pm On Jan 15, 2015
Nicepoker:

and you know this how?

3 Likes

Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by Abduletudaye(m): 7:08pm On Jan 15, 2015
korel9:
Okay.

In another vein

Dare to be a Nigerian

If you support PDP, you are paid to do so and apparently a thief;

But if you support APC, you are a patriot who is fighting for Nigeria.

If an APC governor award a km of road for N1.2billion, he is prudent and God sent;

If a PDP governor award same km of road for N500million, he is a thief.

If Fani Kayode joins PDP, he is bastard;

If Atiku joins APC, he is a democrat.

If Jonathan spends N7billion for his office par year, he is a criminal;

If Fashola spend same amount in a year, he is a saint.

If Akpabio approves N200Million as pension, he must be stoned;

If Fashola approved N300million for Tinubu he is a change agent.

If you cancelled toll gate as PDP government, you are an enemy of progress;

But if you build a road in Lagos, with tax payers money and till the road, you are genius.

If you increase school feed as PDP government, you must be crucified;

If you do same as APC government, there must be a reason, cuz Education is not cheap anywhere in the world.

If you share Okada to the poor as PDP, you are poor peoples enemy;

If you ban Okada after election as an APC government, you are only helping the poor to stay alive, so you mean well.

If you single handedly make your daughter a market woman leader in APC state, it is for the progress of the people;

But if your wife is made a permanent secretary in your state by your state government of PDP, you are a greedy fellow.

If you spend N16billion on electricity without power and then support APC, you a navigator;

If you raise N500million through unbundling of same power, you are clueless.

If you fail to pay your workers for a month, but in APC, it is not your fault but someone up there;

But if you failed to pay your worker for a month and still in PDP, you are wicked human being.

If you force your family, in-law and girlfriends as senators and lawmakers on the rest of the party members, you a progressive leader;

But if you act like you don't care in PDP, you are dullard

If you tried to get a third term fraudulently by bribing the legislatures but failed, then support APC, you are democrat and the father of the nation;

If you try to get a constitutional second term in PDP, without their blessings, you an ingrate and silly.

In their time we had Halliburton scandal, ID card scandal, Siemens scandal, we have subsidy scam scandal, we have national stadium contract scandal, we have health budget financial scam, aviation sector scam, we had power sector scandal. How many people did he jail to prove he fought corruption? Rather EFCC was his big stick against his perceived enemies.

In their time we had a sitting governor kidnapped by a thug working for the president. We had a whole region of the country rigged in favor of his party. Morris Ibekwe, a wanted international fraud star won election under PDP.

Those who stole Nigerians blind under PDP; Atiku, Obasanjo, Baraje, Saraki, Wammako, Kwankwaso, Amaechi, Oyinlola, Segun Oni, Okorocha, Ngige, Adeleke, El Rufai, etc, are today the same people financing APC and calling for "CHANGE".

Flashback to 1999, who were these people? Billionaires ? They where nobody. Today, they spend billions and no one dare to ask a question. If you do you are enemy of progress.

They started with "New PDP" when that didn't fly, they joined a cult group called ACN to become APC. Same character with different name.

Sometimes it is better not to be a Nigerian than to be a confused and ignorant one.

Credit: KnightsTemplar

What are we saying What are you saying

2 Likes

Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by gratieao: 7:11pm On Jan 15, 2015
Yoruba people badt gan! So Tinubu intentionally send Buhari on 'arodan'

2 Likes

Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by misskenny(f): 7:12pm On Jan 15, 2015
Got me smilling, i was nt stubborn when i was young, bt my bro case was different.
Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by An2elect2(f): 7:12pm On Jan 15, 2015
So when will the igbo, hausa,efik versions of this be out? tongue
Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by Beamborla(f): 7:13pm On Jan 15, 2015
Nicepoker:
Agreed! what is the truth?

3 Likes

Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by kramer: 7:16pm On Jan 15, 2015
Barselonia:
ARODAN Or EWE JOKOJE
....Arodan is use in the olden days to caution small children without them knowing... for example, maybe a small boy is disturbing her mama, his mama would just say "go to uncle kunle and collect ARODAN for me ".....
o boy That is the last thing for the boy That day ooo.... He go just sit down with uncle kunle throughout the day without him knowing Why He is sitting down...

very soon BUHARI would send GEJ to OTUOKE to collect ARODAN........ journey of no return....
quote me

Oya av quote you o, where's my present?
Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by gratieao: 7:18pm On Jan 15, 2015
soji1992:
[img]http://www.qservers.net/process/?aff=058[/img] [img]http://www.?aff=687[/img] [img]http://www.?aff=800[/img]
God don expose u today
Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by ybalogs(m): 7:18pm On Jan 15, 2015
My elder brother tried it on me one time cos one Amaka chick came around.He gave me #500 to go buy Arodan from one Iya Sheriff around our area.As I know as e dey go I just Free style go buy my own Arodan oooo(#350 Peppersoup and #100 malt).Got me laughing any day I remember the incidence

7 Likes

Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by Ayoakinkahunsi(m): 7:18pm On Jan 15, 2015
don't tell me those stories/ lies are still working .I only heard of it I was never a victim
Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by Beamborla(f): 7:19pm On Jan 15, 2015
talktofemi:

You must be a naughty gal then.

Btw, nice pix. Tell ur mum to send you to me for arodan

Lol... I was the definition of stubborn. Last time I was with my mum, she still told me how I used to go under her bed to disturb her sleep whenever I was hungry.
Don't worry, she would give anything to have me disturb her again and I always satisfy her whenever I go home...

2 Likes

Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by talktofemi: 7:21pm On Jan 15, 2015
Beamborla:

Lol... I was the definition of stubborn. Last time I was with my mum, she still told me how I used to go under her bed to disturb her sleep whenever I was hungry.
Don't worry, she would give anything to have me disturb her again and I always satisfy her whenever I go home...

Lil kids all grown.

U have a pm m'am.
Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by lifeisshort1: 7:21pm On Jan 15, 2015
In praise' s voice ' those stupid stuffs from the days that we were young......... cheesy wink wink angryMy mum tried that with me a couple of times before I learnt what it meant, buh that was a long time ago, youths of nowadays might not even know the meaning.
Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by GuyFawkes: 7:22pm On Jan 15, 2015
ARODAN = My journey shall never end.
Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by afifix: 7:25pm On Jan 15, 2015
other areas, its SUPPORT STICK, and when i went, it was yrs truly, till they looked for me. Traditional way of dispatching gluttons.
Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by UniqueGem(m): 7:26pm On Jan 15, 2015
APC have sent Buhari On an 'Arodan' escapade again.

1 Like

Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by Ilekeh(f): 7:27pm On Jan 15, 2015
Don't have such story, but I remember the day my aunt forced my cousins and I to find the money we lost. It took all day.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani / My Boyfriend's Parents Don't Approve Me, And They Haven't Even Met Me Yet / Oyinbo Lady Speaks Nigerian Local Dialect And Cooks Our Dishes Better(video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.