Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,226 members, 7,825,870 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 04:05 AM

Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home (15448 Views)

US Forces Locate Chibok Girls-New York Times / It Is PDP Loyalists That Are Complaining Of Hardship Not Nigerians - Ngige / ISIS: US Forces Kill Senior IS Leader Abu Sayyaf, Capture His Wife Umm Sayyaf (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by earTHMama: 5:58pm On Dec 24, 2008

@KOBOJUNKIE: YOU MAKE ME LAUGH?SO YOU CONSIDER YOURSELF WISE AND EDUCATED? SORRY FOR YOUR WASTED LIFE
Roflmao grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by deviolator: 12:01am On Dec 25, 2008
men no be lie men, i dey here for yankee and all i dey think of everyday na how to kill person, for real tho, life here rigt now is really messed up. Nigeria is one of the best places one can ever dream of being right now, sad
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by Kobojunkie: 12:03am On Dec 25, 2008
deviolator:

men no be lie men, i dey here for yankee and all i dey think of everyday na how to kill person, for real tho, life here rigt now is really messed up. Nigeria is one of the best places one can ever dream of being right now, sad

Well with those thoughts you will feel right at home in Nigeria. I do hope you go quickly before we read of another Nigerian murderer in the dailies. Enough of the bad names we get out here from people who can not live and let live.
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by earTHMama: 12:42am On Dec 25, 2008
Wednesday, December 24, 2008
[size=14pt]Gloomy Christmas as home remittances shrink[/size]

By Yemi Kolapo

Nigerians are beginning to feel the pinch of the on-going global financial crisis as the usual deluge of Christmas gifts in cash and kind from friends and relatives abroad slowed to a trickle.

Majority of Nigerians, who have relatives abroad have complained that aside the fact that the usual year end boxes of clothes have not arrived 48 hours to Christmas, accompanying cash sent through international money transfer operators have been slashed by more than half.

One of the Moneygram recipients at the Oba Akran branch of the United Bank for Africa Plc, who spoke in confidence with our correspondent on Tuesday, said her family usually looked forward to the Christmas period as it was the only time they were sure to get lump sums from their elder brother, a nurse practicing in the United States.

She said it would be a dull Christmas this year because only $300 was sent to the whole family.

"As you can see from the look on their faces (her siblings), they had expected more than they came here to meet. I don't even know how to share the money among them because this is about twice less than the usual package," the lady, a lecturer at the Lagos State University, said.

A Nigerian born US citizen, Mr. Ade Adebayo, who spoke in a telephone interview with our correspondent, admitted that the global financial meltdown had made the year rough for US residents, adding that it was a good thing that relatives at home understood the gravity of the situation at hand.

He said the mortgage and credit problems in the US had plunged many families into deep financial crises, making it hard to settle bills.

"Every cent that we don't spend here, we send home. But now, that there is even hardly enough to spend, what do we send?" he asked.

"The situation shows that the country should prepare for serious crisis next year as remittances are bound to shrink. It is more worrying when one considers the fact that many Nigerians rely on funds that flow in through this channel to survive in an economy that offers next to nothing to the poor majority," said Head, Price Analysts, an economic research firm in Lagos, Dr. Nkiru Johnson.

She said that the slowing global growth had caused job losses abroad as companies hit hardest by the crisis faced no other option than to lay off workers and curtail expansion to minimise overhead costs.

Remittances provide strong support for the economies of many developing countries, including Ghana, Kenya and Philippines, accounting for about 10 per cent of Gross Domestic Product.

The World Bank estimates the value of these often invisible cash flows at between $350bn and $600bn per year.

Exact numbers are very difficult to estimate, according to the British Broadcasting Corporation News, as they are based on traceable channels, such as banks and cash carried across borders by hand or via informal brokers.

But it is estimated at up to three times the amount of money transferred from richer countries to the developing world by governments and international institutions as aid.

The flow of remittances has been rising by as much as 30 per cent, year on year, in some areas, but the rate of growth has already dramatically slowed, the BBC reports.

The World Bank had predicted that the amount sent home by the world's 150 million international migrants could fall by about one per cent in 2009.

Remittances from Nigerians abroad almost doubled last year, rising to $17.9bn, up from $10.5bn in 2006.

Analysts have, however, predicted that there could be a drastic fall in the level of remmitances, further below the $6.5bn recorded in 2005.

http://odili.net/news/source/2008/dec/24/415.html
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by earTHMama: 12:43am On Dec 25, 2008
men no be lie men, i dey here for yankee and all i dey think of everyday na how to kill person, for real tho, life here rigt now is really messed up. Nigeria is one of the best places one can ever dream of being right now,
shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by MrCrackles(m): 12:45am On Dec 25, 2008
Another scalp claimed by the deadly economic virus! undecided

Oh dear!Oh dear!!oh dear!!!
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by UzochiMan: 2:34am On Dec 25, 2008
u na see me going nowhere! cool
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by stalliontp(m): 3:34am On Dec 25, 2008
Echidime:

@stalliontp: YOUR PROBLEM IS POVERTY,GO GET YOURSELF A JOB AND STOP WALLOWING IN POVERTY.

@KOBOJUNKIE: YOU MAKE ME LAUGH?SO YOU CONSIDER YOURSELF WISE AND EDUCATED? SORRY FOR YOUR WASTED LIFE

Me wallowing in poverty?, lol. If your stupid Ass have half of what i have you will be too busy managing that instead of hating on other people.
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by jookco(m): 8:38am On Dec 25, 2008
Believe it or not there is no more opportunity in the usa,businessmens in africa are doing better thab any body living in the usa where they see immigrants like a second citizen,many people regret why the ever come to this country,we need to tell our self the truth so that those selling properties to come will stop
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by cabali(m): 4:03pm On Dec 25, 2008
Who are those saying they wont return. It has always been relatively easier to make it in nigeria (or anyone's home country) than in the US. At least you can get a good blue chip job with ur first degree. That doesnt come easily in the US.

But to say that people are running back cos of the economic crisis, I will have to wait till end of January to confirm that disbelief. I feel a nigerian that is already there can still make it cos u know disrespect gets us working. It is more likely people will still be there cos it aint all that bad. The economic crisis is going to continue for another year but running back may not be the solution.

I mean those would probably be the ones that ran off there cos of economic issues in nigeria; they cant just run out again due to econo mic issues right? I dont believe that reporter (if he exists)
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by stalliontp(m): 10:51pm On Dec 25, 2008
cabali:

Who are those saying they wont return. It has always been relatively easier to make it in nigeria (or anyone's home country) than in the US. At least you can get a good blue chip job with ur first degree. That doesnt come easily in the US.

But to say that people are running back because of the economic crisis, I will have to wait till end of January to confirm that disbelief. I feel a nigerian that is already there can still make it because u know disrespect gets us working. It is more likely people will still be there because it aint all that bad. The economic crisis is going to continue for  another year but running back may not be the solution.

I mean those would probably be the ones that ran off there because of economic issues in nigeria; they can't just run out again due to econo mic issues right? I don't believe that reporter (if he exists)

I noticed that there is almost a  general assumption that all Nigerians that are outside the country did so because they couldn't toughen it out in Nigeria. That is laughable in the sense that I for one used to work in a major oil company in Nigeria,  So i was far from suffering,  However i was thirsty for more knowledge and ways of life, So i came to the U.S to further my education and i am at present working with a major oil firm in Texas. Now i also know so many of my colleagues from Nigeria, we were either in college together back in naija or have worked together, these were great guys doing well for themselves back home in Nigeria and they are doing just great here in the U.S too. So what the Bleep guys?
And coming to you-where did you hear that you cant get a good job with a first degree in the U.S? And if you were referring to Nigerian First degree ,  Well i know many people here with Nigerian first degree with great professional jobs. Dude Your degree is important but it is more about what you have in your head and what you are aware of.
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by earTHMama: 1:08am On Dec 26, 2008
I noticed that there is almost a  general assumption that all Nigerians that are outside the country did so because they couldn't toughen it out in Nigeria. That is laughable in the sense that I for one used to work in a major oil company in Nigeria,  So i was far from suffering,  However i was thirsty for more knowledge and ways of life, So i came to the US to further my education and i am at present working with a major oil firm in Texas. Now i also know so many of my colleagues from Nigeria, we were either in college together back in naija or have worked together, these were great guys doing well for themselves back home in Nigeria and they are doing just great here in the US too. So what the mess guys?
And coming to you-where did you hear that you can't get a good job with a first degree in the US? And if you were referring to Nigerian First degree ,  Well i know many people here with Nigerian first degree with great professional jobs. Dude Your degree is important but it is more about what you have in your head and what you are aware of.

Tell them. They think US is like London where immigrants only have an opportunity in the security and landscaping industries,
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by Nobody: 9:20am On Dec 26, 2008
jookco:

Believe it or not there is no more opportunity in the usa,businessmens in africa are doing better thab any body living in the usa where they see immigrants like a second citizen,many people regret why the ever come to this country,we need to tell our self the truth so that those selling properties to come will stop

You live in Amsterdam, how do you know about opportunities in the States. What country are you talking about, US or Holland?
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by bodsibobo(m): 9:50am On Dec 26, 2008
@ earTHMama

Tell them. They think US is like London where immigrants only have an opportunity in the security and landscaping industries,

LOL! grin cheesy grin cheesy

I know what you mean by the security industry grin; but can you kindly expantiate on the landscaping industry?

Does that perhaps mean gardeners? wink
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by Jakumo(m): 9:54am On Dec 26, 2008
bodsibobo:

but can you kindly expantiate on the landscaping industry?

Does that perhaps mean gardeners? wink

The politically correct technical term is "Landscape Architecture Consultants", but the work they do and the tools they use are identical to that of gardeners in all respects.
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by bodsibobo(m): 10:02am On Dec 26, 2008
Well guys,

I actually was fascinated by this topic, so I read all, yes I mean ALL, the posts between 7:00 am today and 10:52 am, of course having breakfast, driving down the street to get groceries, etc, etc,etc in between. Quite an intresting read too.

But what pains me is this:

Nigerians (like the Jews) are very well travelled and I want to safely jump to the conclusion that we have Nigerians in every corner of the world, yes, in every country.

Methinks, if this great presence and positioning of Nigerians is systematically and and strategically co-ordinated in a well disciplined approach, together with the Nigerians at home, as a fulcrum, we can make NIGERIA a great nation, irrespective of one's current country/place of residence.

However, unlike the Jews, we are busy here on Nairaland (a great asset that can be applied for this objective at that) abusing and cursing each other.

My brothas and sistas, we really need to stop all these unbecoming attitude and really begin to work towards helping our dear country, Nigeria.

That's all for now - Peace!
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by blackspade(m): 11:14am On Dec 26, 2008
The US. economy will shrink slightly in these next few quarters, but is expected to rebound somewhere in Q3 of 2009.

Britain on the other hand will be the country most affected by this crisis, with Italy expected to surpass it in GDP! shocked

I'm not going anywhere soon though, so Viva Los Angeles! cool

Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by earTHMama: 6:21pm On Dec 26, 2008
The US. economy will shrink slightly in these next few quarters, but is expected to rebound somewhere in Q3 of 2009.

Britain on the other hand will be the country most affected by this crisis, with Italy expected to surpass it in GDP!

I'm not going anywhere soon though, so Viva Los Angeles!

The British economy has been in the hole for the past 5 years now. Theirs is no news.
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by BecomeRich: 6:35pm On Dec 26, 2008
earthmama is it true that you are a 419   

in the last 2 month more nigerian come to the USA than leave the USA. that information of 500,000 leaving is a lie by a nigerian newspaper. the nigeria home office in DC do not have access to determine sure an information. and which nigerian abroad would be stupid to return back home, when you hear bad news from nigeria. even nigerian in nigeria say yar adua govt is not doing well. even yar adua claim so. he even said the his system is bad., and you expect nigerian abroad to bring their children to unsafe country. good lucky trying,

break up nigeria. i can tell you more than 50% of yorubas would return back home. we have more confident in our people than others.
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by earTHMama: 7:19pm On Dec 26, 2008

in the last 2 month more nigerian come to the USA than leave the USA
Stats please. undecided

break up nigeria. i can tell you more than 50% of yorubas would return back home. we have more confident in our people than others
grin grin
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by TPS360: 8:13pm On Dec 26, 2008
500,000? seriously
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by earTHMama: 9:44pm On Dec 26, 2008
Going to 1M by june 2009.
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by Nobody: 11:13pm On Dec 26, 2008
Sorry but those figures are very suspect. If there was such a huge movement of half a million people it would have have been very noticeable and would have been reported by the US press.
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by Ndipe(m): 11:18pm On Dec 26, 2008
rickky421:

Sorry but those figures are very suspect. If there was such a huge movement of half a million people it would have have been very noticeable and would have been reported by the US press.

Doubt it. That would be too 'trivial' for the US media to report on. I mean, you think they would be at the Nigerian embassy getting figures? That would be a ratings disaster for them.
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by Nobody: 11:26pm On Dec 26, 2008
Ndipe:

Doubt it. That would be too 'trivial' for the US media to report on. I mean, you think they would be at the Nigerian embassy getting figures? That would be a ratings disaster for them.

I mean wouldn't the huge amounts of Nigerians at the airports make people take notice? Most Americans because of gas prices and the economy are not traveling, so the airports are very quiet. 500,000 is a lot of people to go unnoticed.
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by IGWEUSA(m): 8:56am On Dec 27, 2008
who cares about 500 naija people going home. They re going home 4 thier normal Xmas holidays.

Even if exchange rate is $1 to 1naira, u won't even see me 4 naija, where d sick president [ yar adua] is also sickening naija problems.

******it will be from frying pan to FIRE********************** lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by slimfine(f): 4:40pm On Dec 27, 2008
seconded!!!!

where are you in seattle?
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by IGWEUSA(m): 5:57pm On Dec 27, 2008
slimfine:

seconded!!!!

where are you in seattle?

@
Slim fine i live at north seattle, what about U?
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by slimfine(f): 7:33am On Dec 28, 2008
I live in Federal way. I have a feeling that I know who you are wink
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by earTHMama: 8:40am On Dec 28, 2008
You guys live in Seattle?. You like coffee that much as to move to the coffee brewing capital of the world?. Happy winter.
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by IGWEUSA(m): 2:53pm On Dec 28, 2008
slimfine:

I live in Federal way. I have a feeling that I know who you are wink

Slimefine Which skool do u go to. Have U ever been to the Naija independece party?
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by slimfine(f): 4:05pm On Dec 28, 2008
yes. I was at this year's Inde. Party. do you know jeff or Emeka? or even elvis?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

RMAFC Slashes Reps’ Allowances By 80% / Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, / CV Of Kenyan ICT Minister Vs Nigerian ICT Minister.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.