Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,087 members, 7,811,049 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:38 PM

Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures - Agriculture (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures (213951 Views)

Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria / Green House Tomato Production / Cassava Production And Processed Products Made From Cassava (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (39) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jeffmyson(m): 3:53pm On Mar 04, 2015
jimbod19:
pls can use give me your email or number, I wish to see u in person and I have only days to spend in Abj. Mine is jimbod1919@gmail.com.

I already mailed you! Check your mail.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jeffmyson(m): 3:55pm On Mar 04, 2015
jimbod19:
pls can use give me your email or number, I wish to see u in person and I have only days to spend in Abj. Mine is jimbod1919@gmail.com.

Already mailed you. Check your mail for my contacts.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by biggal: 5:35pm On Mar 04, 2015
D onion is 8k
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 3:05pm On Mar 05, 2015
biggal:
D onion is 8k
Please what is the size of the bag? Thank you
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 4:16pm On Mar 05, 2015
It has been discovered that there is a huge market for vegetables in Nigeria. Vegetables such as
1. Tomatoes
2. Green/Yellow pepper
3. Cucumber
4. Water Melon
5. Green beans
6. Sweet corn
7. Cabbage
8. Carrot
9. Chilli pepper
10. Ginger
Just to mention a few.
We have not been accessing this market because of some factors that have been mentioned somewhere in this post.
For producer to access market, certain things must be done which includes
1 Producing good and quality produce.
2 Be able to supply the market consistently
3 Uniformity in produce from one location to the other.
4 Implementing cost effective management to beat down the price of produce
5 Branding to stand out:
6. Getting the right price at the right market for fresh fruits and vegetables

Intending farmers and agribusiness personel will be exposed to what it takes to surmount the above mentioned status in order to access market at the proposed training being organised by
Entrepreneur Youth Cooperative, AFGEAN.
Agricultural Fresh Growers Producers Exporters Association of Nigeria and IFDC 2SCALE

Practical aspect will involve but not limited to
. From Nursery to market of various vegetables e.g Tomatoes, Cucumber. Green Pepper etc
. Maximising Agribusiness Ventures.
.Access to fresh vegetable market when quality and standard is met
. All year round supply of fresh fruits and vegetables.
. Information on Fresh Fruits and Vegetable export market

Side attachment:
Maximising The Golden Grains for profit
. Soyabeans
. Maize
. Groundnut.
. Tapping into the dairy farming business.

Time:Minimum attendance is a month
When : April 2015 and May 2015
Cost of training N15,000 per month
Accommodation N5,000 per month to include
Shared bed space
Water Supply
Electricity supply of minimum 4 hours per day

Accommodation space is limited.
The first 20 people.
For enquiry call 08064688501
Or mail adesola_yinka@yahoo.com
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by sheyi86: 8:38pm On Mar 05, 2015
@ madam jethro2 pls how do u nurse ur tomatos and u re getting almost 80%, i used 2 nurse pepper but hardly get 40% out of it pls teach ma. Thanks.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 8:58pm On Mar 05, 2015
sheyi86:
@ madam jethro2 pls how do u nurse ur tomatos and u re getting almost 80%, i used 2 nurse pepper but hardly get 40% out of it pls teach ma. Thanks.
What method are you currently using?
Are you using seed tray or our own method?
How do you handle your soil before planting?
I now use a system introduce to us by IFDC.
I think I attach one of the picture on the thread
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 9:14pm On Mar 05, 2015
Land preparation has started for tomatoes, pepper and all sort of vegetables. Most of this vegtables takes 3 months to harvest. For those that want to meet the month of May, June July and August, the time is now. If you stay in the village like I do, most times rain are not consistence so please ensure you prepare for some irrigation
Vegetables are the best crops to quickly break even but they are also the most delicate to maintain.
I tells people the millions is there yet the risk is there. The YOP1 project team can attest to that.
I dont do farm set up but I can give practical on farm training.
The training aspect can be replicated in the trainees farm and I can support with my technical know how.
For any one that produces the desired quality and standard will be link to market.
What the market demands is consistency and quality.
Wishing you all a happy planting season.
Farm work has commence fully. I may not attend to calls on time. Best means of communication will be my mail. Except for exceptional cases, I do attend to my mails promptly.
Thank you
adesola_yinka@yahoo.com

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by sheyi86: 9:51pm On Mar 05, 2015
jethro2:

What method are you currently using?
Are you using seed tray or our own method?
How do you handle your soil before planting?
I now use a system introduce to us by IFDC.
I think I attach one of the picture on the thread

Wot i does is dat i first clear d land wit cutlass and then use spade or hoe 2 mix d soil and then make platform frm it and then spread d planting material on d platform, cover it wit light soil and then cover it wt palmfrond.pls ma if possible give me practical video of how u re doing it.thanks.i mean online video.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Nobody: 10:01pm On Mar 05, 2015
aaaaghh. this thread don take off again. uzoamaka! get me my writing material.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 7:43am On Mar 06, 2015
sheyi86:
Wot i does is dat i first clear d land wit cutlass and then use spade or hoe 2 mix d soil and then make platform frm it and then spread d planting material on d platform, cover it wit light soil and then cover it wt palmfrond.pls ma if possible give me practical video of how u re doing it.thanks.i mean online video.
Please get some practical experience from a practising farmer nearby. The nursery is the most delicate part of growing vegetables.
You also need to apply poultry waste and sawdust or rice shaft to your soil before planting.
The quantity applies also affects your germination rate.
I know there are some online videos but i don't have.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 7:44am On Mar 06, 2015
mercylicious:
aaaaghh. this thread don take off again. uzoamaka! get me my writing material.
Lol
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by sheyi86: 10:25am On Mar 06, 2015
jethro2:

Please get some practical experience from a practising farmer nearby. The nursery is the most delicate part of growing vegetables.
You also need to apply poultry waste and sawdust or rice shaft to your soil before planting.
The quantity applies also affects your germination rate.
I know there are some online videos but i don't have.
Thanks ma
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 11:49am On Mar 06, 2015
sheyi86:
Thanks ma
Its my pleasure
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by securi: 4:03pm On Mar 10, 2015
This is quite interesting. Please enjoy

New tomato variety that yields 19 kg a plant
Can you guess how much a single tomato plant will yield? Well, the Indian Institute of Horticultural Research’s (IIHR) Arka Rakshak variety of tomato has yielded 19 kg per plant. This is the yield level recorded by IIHR scientists at a farmer’s field under precision farming.

With this kind of yield, the new variety of Arka Rakshak (Arka stands for the river Arkavathi on whose banks the IIHR is located) has created waves in the sector.

“Clearly, this is the highest tomato yield the State has ever witnessed, and also this variety has turned out to be the State’s highest tomato-yielding variety as per scientific data,” says IIHR’s Principal Scientist and Head of the Division of Vegetable Crops A.T. Sadashiva.

According to him, the highest yield per plant by other hybrids is only 15 kg. Pointing out that Karnataka’s average tomato productivity was only 35 tonnes a hectare, Dr. Sadashiva notes that Arka Rakshak’s yield had touched a high of 190 tonnes in a farmer’s field.

Chandrappa, a farmer from Devasthanadahosalli of Chikkaballapur district, who has grown these varieties of tomatoes, has been able to get an yield of 38 tonnes from 2,000 plants on half an acre of land as against the level of 20 tonnes which he used to get from other hybrid varieties.

“I earned Rs. 2.75 lakh by selling the produce at a rate of Rs. 5 to Rs. 11 a kg from November 2012 to January 2013 after deducting expenses of about Rs. 80,000,” he says.

According to Dr. Sadashiva, these are not only high-yielding varieties but are also resistant to three diseases of tomato leaf curl virus, bacterial wilt and early blight. This helps in reducing the cost of cultivation by at least 10 per cent by way of savings on fungicides and pesticides, he notes.

Besides, these deep read fruits have other advantages as the firmness of fruits makes them suitable for long-distance transportation. Similarly, they have a shelf life of 15 days as against the 10 days of other hybrids and six days of the common varieties.

Keywords: Indian Institute of Horticultural Research, Arka Rakshak, Tomato cultivation, A.T. Sadashiva

source:
http://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/agriculture/new-tomato-variety-that-yields-19-kg-a-plant/article5113247.ece

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 8:44am On Mar 13, 2015
The on farm practical training by AFGEAN/IFDC for fruits and vegetables will commence on the 13th of April.

Location is Ago Amodu, Saki East LGA of Oyo State.
Minimum participatory attendance is a month.

Interested participant should call 08064688501.
Training fee is N15,000 per month
Accomodation is N5,000 per month

Accomodation is limited
20 bed space.
First come, first pay basis
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by ptoall1000: 4:09am On Mar 15, 2015
Can u get a good video person to help u video the training so some of us can buy if we can't make it for the training.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 9:38am On Mar 15, 2015
ptoall1000:
Can u get a good video person to help u video the training so some of us can buy if we can't make it for the training.
I wish i can promise that but cant. But its noted
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 3:31pm On Mar 18, 2015
Please send sms or whatsapp to get the account payment details for the Fruits and Vegetable Training.
Space will be reserved only for the first 20 intending trainee that made payments.
Please indicate female or male if accommodation will be require.
Thank you
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 2:43pm On Mar 19, 2015
For trainee that wants to stay in guest house. There are decent guest house in Saki and its environment. Accommodation cost is N2,500 per night.
For more details please call 08064688501, 08188540096.
Training commences on the 13th of April.
Thank you

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by shinaboy: 3:59pm On Mar 20, 2015
jethro2:
Drip irrigation

Pls what is the cost of drip irrigation
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 6:51pm On Mar 20, 2015
shinaboy:

Pls what is the cost of drip irrigation
A kilometer is N40,000. For an hectare one needs 10 piece.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by saliubello(m): 10:07pm On Mar 20, 2015
jethro2:

Does this include cost of the other accessories & connectors? Just asking.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by shinaboy: 10:52pm On Mar 20, 2015
jethro2:

Pls what is the cost for the 10 pieces required for an hectare of land?
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 11:03pm On Mar 20, 2015
saliubello:
Does this include cost of the other accessories & connectors? Just asking.
Accesories. Yes
Plumbing materials . No
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 11:05pm On Mar 20, 2015
shinaboy:

Pls what is the cost for the 10 pieces required for an hectare of land?
40,000 x 10 gives drip requirement per hectare
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by innovationafrik: 12:31am On Mar 21, 2015
Thanks for the good work Jethro. Can youu please share with us the average number of Tomato plants you have per hectare and the in-row spacing in inches or cm?
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 11:38am On Mar 21, 2015
innovationafrik:
Thanks for the good work Jethro. Can youu please share with us the average number of Tomato plants you have per hectare and the in-row spacing in inches or cm?
Wow. very good question that i have been inkling to have answers to.
I am gladly inviting you to visit the farm so you can take the time out to do the calculation and present to the house.
On the other hand I thought you mentioned you once farm before in one of your post.
Please kindly oblige us with that details.
As you realise i am just a village farmer from Saki.
I am sure a lot of people are eager to know
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 11:46am On Mar 21, 2015
innovationafrik:
I am a practising farmer that has got work to do on the farm. I feel slighted when internet farmer like you try to play smart with me.
Please go straight to your point. What have you got to prove or disprove? Ensure you have real life facts and figures, not internet or googled fact.
I am waiting
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by securi: 12:29pm On Mar 21, 2015
Sis Jethro2, how is rain in Saki? Any heavy one lately? Just want to compare note cuz it's really dry @ Ogbomoso.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 1:48pm On Mar 21, 2015
securi:
Sis Jethro2, how is rain in Saki? Any heavy one lately? Just want to compare note cuz it's really dry @ Ogbomoso.
Rain ke? There has been no rain ooo. I learnt it rained in Saki yesterday but not in Ago Amodu. The rural farmers here said there will be one big rain and then we have to wait till April ending or early May.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by securi: 2:36pm On Mar 21, 2015
Thanks. Na wa o, end of April far o, well, let's hope for d best
jethro2:

Rain ke? There has been no rain ooo. I learnt it rained in Saki yesterday but not in Ago Amodu. The rural farmers here said there will be one big rain and then we have to wait till April ending or early May.

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (39) (Reply)

Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures / Updated Price Of Grains And Location. / Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures*

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.