Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,245 members, 7,829,448 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:10 AM

Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures - Agriculture (31) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures (214438 Views)

Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria / Green House Tomato Production / Cassava Production And Processed Products Made From Cassava (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (39) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 5:15pm On Mar 27, 2017
cultivating with rain is like gambling. sometimes we win and sometimes we lose.

You alone can not manage 3 acres of tomato successively.

Please first take time to learn from someone who has done it successfully so you don't throw that funds down the drain.

bassman2017:

Hello, Jethro2, I am really impressed with your thread, you are doing a wonderful job. I have a few questions

1. Is it advisable to cultivate tomatoes in ogbomoso around april (wet season) while hoping to rely only on rain for water source

2. I have about N400k to invest in the cultivation of 3arces of land for tomatoes however, I know that it is beneficial to provide irrigation for tomatoes, but I cannot raise the funds required to provide irrigation? What do you advise.

Thank you

I already bought 200g of Roma VF Technisem seeds from agritropic and I have begun land preparation

NB:this is my first comment on your thread.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 5:22pm On Mar 27, 2017
CharlesAA:

Hi,
is this training still on?
Can I send someone for this.
when can we send someone along?
kindly revert ASAP.
Yes. The training is on. Next resumption date is May 8th 2017
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by bassman2017: 3:56pm On Mar 29, 2017
Thank you for your prompt response.

Please is your one month training still available?

I would have preferred a two weeks practical training because I currently work full time with an organisation and I can only take a fews days leave in a year. This is my constraint.

Thank you.

jethro2:
cultivating with rain is like gambling. sometimes we win and sometimes we lose.

You alone can not manage 3 acres of tomato successively.

Please first take time to learn from someone who has done it successfully so you don't throw that funds down the drain.

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 5:59pm On Mar 29, 2017
bassman2017:
Thank you for your prompt response.

Please is your one month training still available?

I would have preferred a two weeks practical training because I currently work full time with an organisation and I can only take a fews days leave in a year. This is my constraint.

Thank you.

Yes. We do have trainings on the farm. The training is from a month -3months depending on the participants choice.

You can choose to stay how many days you are convenient with.
We regularly take in new intake at the beginning of a session. Next batch will be resuming by May 8th 2017.

Please note its first come first serve
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Sedfort1: 4:13pm On Apr 05, 2017
Green House Farming

A greenhouse is a structure with walls and roof made chiefly of transparent materials, such as nets, plastics or glass, in which environmental conditions are regulated for cultivated crops (such as tomato, bell pepper, chilli pepper, cucumber, watermelon, leafy vegetables etc.). Amongst several other advantages, greenhouse farming affords you the opportunity to grow all year round with good regulation of inputs and environmental factors which result in very high yields of international quality.

Sedfort Farms, Sedfort Nigeria Limited is a modern agribusiness company with interests in crop and animal production; and agricultural technology. We presently have one of the largest operating greenhouse farms in Nigeria with a total greenhouse area space of 50,000sqm (5 Hectares). Having been in the vegetable business for years now, and being a sub-regional leader in hydroponics, Sedfort prides itself in its ability to produce large volumes of premium farm fresh tomatoes in Nigeria.

Sedfort Ingenious Agriculture as the sole representative of Novedades Agricolas S.A. Spain is proud to introduce the APRKit 336 Greenhouse. The APRKit 336 is a greenhouse solution for new and professional growers that has been adapted to suit our environmental parameters providing farmers with improved conditions for the cultivation of various greenhouse crops.
We can supply and install the Kit for you anywhere in Nigeria.
Give us a call on 08099026888, send us an email to sales@sedfort.com or simply visit our website on www.sedfort.com, you'll be glad you did!

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by theking1(m): 5:50am On Apr 17, 2017
@Jethro, Good morning,
Please do you have trained farm managers you can recommend, I am starting a tomato farm in Lagos, (Epe to be precise)

jethro2:

Good morning
Every participants need to undergo a minimum practical training of 3 months.

The training period is the assessment period for participants. Our clients have standard requirements for farm managers.
And that's why the training is compulsory for all intending farm managers.
Participants will be Sent out to their respective working place after the training

During the training participants feed themselves and transport themselves to farm on daily basis.

Participatory fee is N25,000. Accommodation will be provided for participants

Location is
Farm Villa Resource Centre
Ago Amodu
Saki East LGA of Oyo State

For more details
Contact 08064688501
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 8:58am On Apr 17, 2017
theking1:
@Jethro, Good morning,
Please do you have trained farm managers you can recommend, I am starting a tomato farm in Lagos, (Epe to be precise)

currently we don't have. You can also send someone down here for training. The person works for you after
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by NaijaPonics: 11:19am On Apr 17, 2017
I think i can help with problems facing the few hydroponics farmers in the country. I am very much interested in hydroponics myself, but the issues facing this type of system in the country is one of the reason i have not started mine. So i have being studying the art of hydroponics for years now and i have being able to find solutions to many of the challenges. eg.

TEMPERATURE ISSUES (i can now build a low energy evaporative cooling system and gio-cooling system for green house)

NUTRIENT ISSUES (i have a tested hydroponic nutrient formula, and still testing it on tomato and leafy greens, also have have a technique to maintain a constant nutrient temperature all year round)

GREENHOUSE ISSUES (I can now build a greenhouse out of wood and PVC pipes now)

and so many other improvements i have made.
what works abroad can also work here, we just need to study and upgrade it to meet our needs.

i Am NaijaPonics (we solve hydroponics and greenhouse challenges)
call:- 08083737488; 08161243580
these are my opinion and i know they are right
tundebabzy:

Sir,
In my post I said it can only profitable on a large scale. I also mentioned that good technical knowledge is important. That's because It is highly technical and prone to failure like every other endeavor including earth farming. It will require temperature control, lots of sensors, data collection and physical monitoring. And because it's commercial scale, all these are big time. Even when cooking, any wrong addition will spoil the whole pot. That's not unexpected.

As for failing generators and equipment, I don't know any wise commercial scale producer that doesn't have backups for their production systems.

About the price, Shoprite tomatoes are that expensive because you can only find them in Shoprite. If there is more supply, the price will drop. Similarly, oil price is low because there's too much supply in the market. Besides, I'm sure the owner of Golden gate restaurant was also told that there is a small market for his expensive cuisine.

About a Nigerian nutrient mixture and hot climate, the problem isn't the mixture, it's the temperature. There's no place in the world where the climate is 100% perfect for tomato growth and that's what spurred the invention of greenhouses.

About the Enugu company that packed up, how does one company's failure prove that everybody else must fail?

This is on the boundaries of being off-topic. However, I'm sure I didn't make commercial hydroponic farming sound easy. If I did, I apologize. It is not a piece of cake and it's a big investment. If you have the capital and technical know-how, explore it. Also know the risks and make sure you can stomach it. The period where soil farmers can't produce enough causing the price of tomatoes to skyrocket, the hydroponic farmer is still churning out high quality tomatoes at the same price. Aeroponics is even a better option because it uses like 95% less water and nutrients formula. Every business has got its risks and there's no business that's fail safe.........just like hydroponics
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by NaijaPonics: 1:06pm On Apr 17, 2017
We can help at NaijaPonics.
We solve the challenges below with the ideas in brackets.
TEMPERATURE ISSUES[/b][b][/b] (i can now build a low energy evaporative cooling system and gio-cooling system for green house)
NUTRIENT ISSUES (i have a tested hydroponic nutrient formula, and still testing it on tomato and leafy greens, also have have a technique to maintain a constant nutrient temperature all year round)
and so many other improvements we have made.
What works abroad can also work here, we just need to study and upgrade it to meet our needs.

I Am NaijaPonics (we solve hydroponics and greenhouse challenges)
These are our opinion and i know they are right

sseunth:
how much does it cost to build a standard greenhouse

like the one in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB7RYIlS6LQ
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by NaijaPonics: 1:17pm On Apr 17, 2017
@Jethro, Good morning,

WANT TO HELP...

I think i can help with problems facing the few hydroponics farmers in the country. I am very much interested in hydroponics myself, but the issues facing this type of system in the country are one of the reason i have not started mine. So i have being studying the art of hydroponics for years now and i have being able to find solutions to many of the challenges. eg.

We can help at NaijaPonics. (NOTE: FREE FOR NOW)

We solve the challenges below with the ideas in brackets.

TEMPERATURE ISSUES (i can now build a low energy evaporative cooling system and gio-cooling system for green house)

and so many other improvements we have made.
What works abroad can also work here, we just need to study and upgrade it to meet our needs.

I Am NaijaPonics (we solve hydroponics and greenhouse challenges)

These are our opinion and i know they are right

jethro2:

currently we don't have. You can also send someone down here for training. The person works for you after
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by damilareadeniyi: 9:30pm On Apr 17, 2017
We learn from mistakes and should also be able to share our experiences and successes. Has anyone tried his hands on the use of Epsom salt on tomato and pepper? If not, this is a salt that contains magnesium and sulphur which provides green leaves, disease resistance and healthy fruits of tomato and pepper. The salt should be applied after transplanting, during flowering and fruiting. For further enquiry, kindly contact me on 08056945865.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by enolife2(m): 7:37am On Apr 18, 2017
@getro please advice me on how I can wisely invest my only 120k into farming and not losing it
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by slye(m): 9:18am On May 01, 2017
jethro2:
Since the YABDI Ogbomosho project, I have received several calls and enquiries from nairalanders on the production and marketing of Tomatoes profitably in Nigeria.
Hence forth I am going to be writing on my experiences , mistakes, solutions and the way forward as Tomato farmer .
Tomato is a crop that has no enemy. No tribal, cultural, nor religious sentiments about tomato.
Both young and old loves and takes tomatoes.
Tomatoe can be eaten raw in salads or cooked in stew, soup and other delicacies

Hi jethro, pls have you any idea where i can get crates ?
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 8:26pm On May 01, 2017
enolife2:
@getro please advice me on how I can wisely invest my only 120k into farming and not losing it

Please invest some part of the fund into getting practical knowledge.
It will save you a lot of headaches
it will also assist in choosing your preferred crop
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by denowo(m): 5:23am On May 03, 2017
Hi Jethro, nice work.

Is your training for general farm managers or strictly for tomato farmers

For those of us who might want to sponsor a trainee with the intention of hiring them, do you have any training course on how to manage the farm managers.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 1:30pm On May 03, 2017
denowo:
Hi Jethro, nice work.

Is your training for general farm managers or strictly for tomato farmers

For those of us who might want to sponsor a trainee with the intention of hiring them, do you have any training course on how to manage the farm managers.

The training is for general farm manager.
No. We don't have training course on how to manage the farm managers.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Nobody: 1:56pm On May 04, 2017
this tread is on page 30 while i am currently on page 16 but i see it necessary to satute the confidence of mrs adesola yinka-jethro (a woman like men) for the mark he has made in the field and the life she has touched and touching through this tread. may GOD in HIS mercy reward you abundantly.

3 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 5:41pm On May 04, 2017
rajowski:
this tread is on page 30 while i am currently on page 16 but i see it necessary to satute the confidence of mrs adesola yinka-jethro (a woman like men) for the mark he has made in the field and the life she has touched and touching through this tread. may GOD in HIS mercy reward you abundantly.

Thank you sir
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Nobody: 3:49pm On May 05, 2017
i just finished @ page 30 now. what an inspiring thread. @ jethro when is another training starting after the may 8th starting date. i really nid to come for the training as a 1st step to the exciting world of farming.

2 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Ponron: 12:40pm On May 11, 2017
Oga Jethro2, I must commend you for taking your time to educate (we) young agropreneurs. You are a source of inspiration. I need your assistance in creating a tomato farming template on 5hectares of land. what is the likely startup cost and important things to take note of.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jackomagnus(m): 8:25am On May 12, 2017
Please, how much (weight) of tomatoes can one get from one tomato plant (in a year)?

***For Hausa tomatoes
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 1:42pm On May 12, 2017
Ponron:
Oga Jethro2, I must commend you for taking your time to educate (we) young agropreneurs. You are a source of inspiration. I need your assistance in creating a tomato farming template on 5hectares of land. what is the likely startup cost and important things to take note of.

Can get you the proposal at some cost.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 1:43pm On May 12, 2017
jackomagnus:
Please, how much (weight) of tomatoes can one get from one tomato plant (in a year)?

***For Hausa tomatoes
I will suggest you visit the Hausa community in Kano to understudy them for some months

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 1:45pm On May 12, 2017
rajowski:
i just finished @ page 30 now. what an inspiring thread. @ jethro when is another training starting after the may 8th starting date. i really nid to come for the training as a 1st step to the exciting world of farming.

You are highly welcome
The next batch of training will be July 10th
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Nobody: 9:50am On May 13, 2017
jethro2:

You are highly welcome The next batch of training will be July 10th

I WILL KEEP THE DATE. THANKS
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 2:11pm On May 13, 2017
rajowski:

rajowski:

You are welcome sir
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by afifidee: 8:42pm On May 18, 2017
Hello Jethro,
Please after this may session which month will the next training start?
jethro2:

Yes. We do have trainings on the farm. The training is from a month -3months depending on the participants choice.

You can choose to stay how many days you are convenient with.
We regularly take in new intake at the beginning of a session. Next batch will be resuming by May 8th 2017.

Please note its first come first serve
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 2:01pm On May 19, 2017
afifidee:
Hello Jethro,
Please after this may session which month will the next training start?

jethro2:

You are highly welcome
The next batch of training will be July 10th
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by samuel25(m): 4:11pm On Jun 14, 2017
Well done to you Jethro, is this training about greenhouse farming or farming in open field?
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 8:12pm On Jun 15, 2017
samuel25:
Well done to you Jethro, is this training about greenhouse farming or farming in open field?

Currently farming in the open

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (39) (Reply)

Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures / Updated Price Of Grains And Location. / Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures*

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.