Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,171 members, 7,835,917 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:30 PM

Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures - Agriculture (29) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures (214596 Views)

Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria / Green House Tomato Production / Cassava Production And Processed Products Made From Cassava (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (39) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by pat077: 6:01pm On Sep 24, 2016
jethro2:

No. its not advisable
what about vegetables or groundnuts?
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by bamigee: 8:04am On Sep 26, 2016
Thanks a million Sir.

I will call you bring you up to date on our previous discussion on the greenhouses.

Cheers

Babalagzy:

You don't need to sterilize the soil unless you are going to plant a tomato variety that is not bacteria wilt resistant (bacteria wilt is an untreatable disease preevalent in the south west). Some varieties are wilt resistant (as well as other common diseases) and will do well planted directly in the ground. Sterilization, on the other hand, isn't a bad thing. You eliminate unwanted microbes but at a cost. If it's worth your while, then it ok to do so.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Babalagzy: 7:51am On Sep 29, 2016
Pavore9:

Are you using Dizengoff built greenhouse?

Yes, I am
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by pleasureosondu(m): 3:06pm On Sep 29, 2016
Pls NLanders, I have some questions on tomato farming.
1. What is the standard spacing for tomato during transplanting in an open-field?
2.What is the maximum number of tomato plants per hectare?
3. What are the necessary measures to implement in order to prevent the wilt disease?
4. How do i sterilize the soil if i''m going to plant directly?
Abeg, i need answers these questions, expercially to number 4.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 4:23pm On Sep 29, 2016
pleasureosondu:
Pls NLanders, I have some questions on tomato farming.
1. What is the standard spacing for tomato during transplanting in an open-field?
2.What is the maximum number of tomato plants per hectare?
3. What are the necessary measures to implement in order to prevent the wilt disease?
4. How do i sterilize the soil if i''m going to plant directly?
Abeg, i need answers these questions, expercially to number 4.

1. spacing depend on a lot of things.
is it manual bed making?
Is it drip spaced?
Is it tractor ridges? etc

2. 50g is recommended for an acre.
a gram contains between 200-300 seeds
Do your calculation

3. Prevention they say is better than cure.

4. Several methods of soil sterilisation.

Note
You can't plant tomato with internet training.
Do take your time to get some practical training.

Best of luck
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by pleasureosondu(m): 7:53pm On Sep 29, 2016
jethro2

is it manual bed making?
Is it drip spaced?

Do your calculation

Note

Best of luck

Thanks Madam for the reply. To the question1, its manual bed making but i"m hoping that i can improvise some form of drip system for the beds during the dry season. Question 3 and 4 are very important to me and i'll tell why. I have exactly 8 acres of farmland which i originally planned for plantain farming but the logistics involved was great, thus i refrained from it. Fortunately,a friend of mine told me it was possible to grow tomatoes here(Edo state). I was skeptical about the idea until i visited his small garden and his tomatoes was really nice. Coincidentally, i stumbled on this thread and read every detail for some weeks now. Yes, i know it would i need some practical training and i''m working on that. However, i"ll really appreciate it if you are more specific on the ways to prevent wilt(3) and how to sterilize the soil the farmland(4). From what i have read, it seems that the disease has no cure. Please, I dont mind buying that knowledge from you. thanks
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 8:57pm On Sep 29, 2016
pleasureosondu:
jethro2
is it manual bed making?
Is it drip spaced?
Do your calculation
Note
Best of luck
Thanks Madam for the reply. To the question1, its manual bed making but i"m hoping that i can improvise some form of drip system for the beds during the dry season. Question 3 and 4 are very important to me and i'll tell why. I have exactly 8 acres of farmland which i originally planned for plantain farming but the logistics involved was great, thus i refrained from it. Fortunately,a friend of mine told me it was possible to grow tomatoes here(Edo state). I was skeptical about the idea until i visited his small garden and his tomatoes was really nice. Coincidentally, i stumbled on this thread and read every detail for some weeks now. Yes, i know it would i need some practical training and i''m working on that. However, i"ll really appreciate it if you are more specific on the ways to prevent wilt(3) and how to sterilize the soil the farmland(4). From what i have read, it seems that the disease has no cure. Please, I dont mind buying that knowledge from you. thanks

3. Yes. The diseases has no cure.
That's why I wrote prevention is the only way out.

The no 4 is the only means of prevention.
You either sterilise or solarize.

Sterilisation involves steaming the soil to a very high temperature

While Solarization is the exposure of the growing medium to the heat of the sun for several month.

I will also suggest you start small and grow big with experience.
Backyard tomato growing is quite different from having a farm.

My 2 cent

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by pleasureosondu(m): 9:47pm On Sep 29, 2016
Madam, i''m really really grateful for that info. Thank you very much. I''ll heed to the your advice on starting small(i dnt intend using all 8 acres). I read about your challenges( the dry season part really caught my attention. I just dey laugh wen you say u turn PRAYER WARRIOR overnite). Thank you. However, abeg i still have some questions that bothers me oh, so please may i ask them
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 10:43pm On Sep 30, 2016
pleasureosondu:
Madam, i''m really really grateful for that info. Thank you very much. I''ll heed to the your advice on starting small(i dnt intend using all 8 acres). I read about your challenges( the dry season part really caught my attention. I just dey laugh wen you say u turn PRAYER WARRIOR overnite). Thank you. However, abeg i still have some questions that bothers me oh, so please may i ask them

Please ask your questions
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by pleasureosondu(m): 9:03am On Oct 01, 2016
@ Madam J. I plan to use an indeterminant specie but
1. what is the official spacing between tomato plants on a manual bed(most articles on the internet were on the determinant specie).
2. What is the applicable distance to be used from one bed to the other?
3. In terms of cutting cost, which is less expensive between drip irrigation and the use of rain-gun?
4. From your experience as a farmer, what is the minimum number of yield in terms of basket(s) from an acre?(worst case oh)
5. How do u really preserve your tomatoes?
6. Where do you get tomato baskets and at what cost?
7. Where can i purchase this neem oil and its leaves?
This next question is a little off key but i dont think there is any harm in asking.
8. I need to fence the farm but i require a job that is less- expensive, can you assist with any idea(s)?
Thanks
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 8:07am On Oct 02, 2016
pleasureosondu:
@ Madam J. I plan to use an indeterminant specie but
1. what is the official spacing between tomato plants on a manual bed(most articles on the internet were on the determinant specie).
2. What is the applicable distance to be used from one bed to the other?
3. In terms of cutting cost, which is less expensive between drip irrigation and the use of rain-gun?
4. From your experience as a farmer, what is the minimum number of yield in terms of basket(s) from an acre?(worst case oh)
5. How do u really preserve your tomatoes?
6. Where do you get tomato baskets and at what cost?
7. Where can i purchase this neem oil and its leaves?
This next question is a little off key but i dont think there is any harm in asking.
8. I need to fence the farm but i require a job that is less- expensive, can you assist with any idea(s)?
Thanks

1 and 2. Spacing varies. manual ridges will create their own spacing in regards to the moulds. if its beds, it could be 30cm, 40cm or even 50 cm spacing on the rows.

manual Ridges
tractor ridges
bed system
drip system all have different spacing which is determine by the farmer

3. Rain gun is cheap but its not good for tomatoes. The intensity of water destroy tomato farm.

Drip is expensive but recommended.

4. minimum no of yield is 0 - 2 basket from an acre.

5. None as of now.
Though my team is working on a method.
Not yet confirmed.

6. Basket are from Mile 12 market. Price varies according to season and sizes.

7. Neem oil from Togo and Benin Republic..

8. Wire fencing might be cheaper than blocks.

Best regard

2 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by pleasureosondu(m): 8:30am On Oct 02, 2016
@ Madam Jethro.
Thank you.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 8:47am On Oct 02, 2016
Our next on farm training for farm managers vacancy will be commencing on the 9th of January.

What we offer:

* Intensive practical training on fruits and vegetables.

* Organic production of insecticide and fertilizer.

* Market link for fruits and vegetables

* Export link for vegetables

* Growing dairy grass for fodders

* Job placement for successful participants

* Fund support to start vegetable farm

* Access to free and cheap farmland.

* Join the network of Chilli Exporters.

Training duration is mandatory 3 month.
Monday - Friday.

Participation fee is N25,000 for the duration
Accommodation will be provided

Participants feed themselves and transport themselves to farm at N100 per day.

Registration is on.
Limited Space available
Its first come first serve.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Jaychibre(f): 11:03am On Oct 02, 2016
Am intrested. I want to partake on this seminar
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Jaychibre(f): 7:57pm On Oct 02, 2016
Am intrested . How can I register and where will the course be held. Please contact me through hannahhemmers@yahoo.de. thank you
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 9:48pm On Oct 02, 2016
Jaychibre:
Am intrested . How can I register and where will the course be held. Please contact me through hannahhemmers@yahoo.de. thank you

Pardon my omission.
Location is Farm Villa Resource Centre
Ago Amodu, Saki East LGA of Oyo State.
call can be put through to 08064688501, 08188540096 or send mail to Adesola_yinka@yahoo.com
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by LucidG(m): 10:18am On Oct 03, 2016
Are you no longer having the short training program?

Asking 'cos I might not be able to do a 3 months stretch.

Thank you
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 11:14am On Oct 03, 2016
LucidG:
Are you no longer having the short training program?
Asking 'cos I might not be able to do a 3 months stretch.
Thank you

The short training is there.
Just that most people do feel shortchanged.
One can not get all the trimmings in a short training.
Even at 3 years, I am still learning
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by pleasureosondu(m): 2:08pm On Oct 03, 2016
@ Madam J, pls oh do you sell neem oil or have any idea on were to purchase them? All dis oyibo people are bent on removing my small head from my neck oh.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 2:16pm On Oct 03, 2016
pleasureosondu:
@ Madam J, pls oh do you sell neem oil or have any idea on were to purchase them? All dis oyibo people are bent on removing my small head from my neck oh.

No I don't sell.
Its a scarce commodity around here.
Just trying to extract for our crop use

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 5:02pm On Oct 09, 2016
For cheap and affordable made in Nigeria Greenhouse. With N300,000- N400,000 you will get a 20m by 8m size Depending on the available materials in your area Materials for construction are locally sourced. Durable can last for more than 2 years. Easy to maintain Our team can put you through You can have one at your backyard Contact 08064688501 08188540096 Or adesola_yinka@yahoo.com

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by ojbig1: 4:36pm On Oct 14, 2016
Pls am interested but would like to know the venue, since I live in abj.this will enable me prepare ahead.
Thanks
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 7:03pm On Oct 14, 2016
ojbig1:
Pls am interested but would like to know the venue, since I live in abj.this will enable me prepare ahead.
Thanks

The venue is Ago Amodu, Saki East LGA of Oyo State.
Registration is currently on.
We can only accommodate 30 participants because of accommodation.

The contact no is 08188540096
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by LucidG(m): 6:18am On Oct 15, 2016
jethro2:

The short training is there.
Just that most people do feel shortchanged.
One can not get all the trimmings in a short training.
Even at 3 years, I am still learning

Ok ma'am. Will make contact for a short training. Thank you.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 6:37am On Oct 19, 2016
The African Bird Eye Chilli ABEC Export Network.

African Bird Eye Chilli (ABEC) is a hot spicy pepper that originates from Africa.
Billion of dollars are exchange in trade from Europe, Germany etc with some other African countries like Kenya and Ghana for ABEC.

50% of FCMG in Nigeria make use of chilli pepper spices which they imports from Thailand and co.

The price of a tonne of grounded ABEC fluctuates from $6,000 and above.

A plant of chilli pepper under good agricultural practised gives minimum of 2 kilo of fresh pepper which is equivalent to 1 kilo of dried pepper.

Our group will be working with 250 farmers that will be growing a quarter acre each of the chilli pepper.

The opportunity is open to intending farmers, unemployed youth, practising farmers etc. The farms can be anywhere.

Traceability will be put in place with everyone having their code to supply.

Every participants has to undergo a compulsory one month on farm training to be put through the required agricultural practises and drying methods to prevent aflatoxin.

We will give sample seed free for participant to grow after which we will be buying others

To participate
Call 08188540086
Or send mail to
adesola_yinka@yahoo.com
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 11:48pm On Nov 07, 2016
Registration is on for the next training batch. Resumption is Jan 9th
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by knoxx: 8:46pm On Nov 09, 2016
Considering the economic situation of the country. How much will one spend while in training for 3months. Accommodation feeding, transport, and other miscellaneous expenses. How much do you think one should budget for. I might have to resign from my present job to attend the training. Do send an email to seggy9979@yahoo.co.uk
jethro2:
Registration is on for the next training batch.
Resumption is Jan 9th
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 9:14am On Nov 15, 2016
knoxx:
Considering the economic situation of the country. How much will one spend while in training for 3months. Accommodation feeding, transport, and other miscellaneous expenses. How much do you think one should budget for. I might have to resign from my present job to attend the training. Do send an email to seggy9979@yahoo.co.uk

Sorry I am just seeing this
Transportation to farm is N100 to and fro Monday to Friday.

Feeding: With N300- N500 per day one will feed sustainably.
Cooking by yourself will be an added advantage. it will come cheap.

Might need little funds for other miscellaneous
Be prepared for full village life
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by iykmon: 3:33am On Nov 16, 2016
You are doing a great job madam. i am more inspired to join in growing vegetables to make Nigeria an exporting nation.

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 6:48am On Nov 16, 2016
iykmon:
You are doing a great job madam. i am more inspired to join in growing vegetables to make Nigeria an exporting nation.

Thank you sir

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (39) (Reply)

Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures / Updated Price Of Grains And Location. / Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures*

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.