Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,093 members, 7,818,281 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:49 AM

Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures - Agriculture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures (214160 Views)

Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria / Green House Tomato Production / Cassava Production And Processed Products Made From Cassava (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (39) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by felixzo1(m): 7:03pm On Jan 23, 2015
jeffmyson:

My take on the issue has always being the same! It will take minimum of 3 years to break even with the Dizengoff systems. I suggest anyone who wants to buy the dizengoff system to grow crops that are not native to Nigeria for either export or expatriate market for quicker breakeven!

The stuff is very expensive and fragile and I still maintain it should cost nothing more that 250k to 300k. I will advice anyone who really wants to do greenhouse farming to travel down to kenya to see first hand how it works! It will be worth your investment.
i was in vom jos and saw a lot of green houses there. mostly govt research facilties and the other belonging to wapco( producers of farmfresh yoguart) they have different type of tomatoes, a kilo sells at 400, they are big and firm

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jeffmyson(m): 7:57pm On Jan 23, 2015
felixzo1:
i was in vom jos and saw a lot of green houses there. mostly govt research facilties and the other belonging to wapco( producers of farmfresh yoguart) they have different type of tomatoes, a kilo sells at 400, they are big and firm

I know wapco, they also supply to Shoprite supermarket too! They are running a nice business out there!
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jeffmyson(m): 8:02pm On Jan 23, 2015
omonnakoda:
How can anyone realistically export based on 1 unit of the Dizengoff system. That does not seem like a realistic option either . Let us examine some figures for any specific crop you are suggesting. What would me more realistic would be to be located close to customers and sell directly to them e.g if you think about it 8x24 =1/3 of a plot so if so have land around Agege then growing tomatoes and selling directly by retail is actually a more productie use of that land than building property and housing tenants. That scenario is certainly worth analysing.
I do not disagree with you about the cost but a 3 year pay back period is not an unreasonable time the key parameter is what is the lifespan of the system. In business we have to be realistic and not sentimental. We analyse based on what things cost not what they should cost.

If we think of any business with a major capital outlay on a depreciating asset e.g Transport (Trucks buses etc) ,how many pay back before 3 years . The reaal issue is would there still be any juice in it after 3 years? My view would then be Perhaps a more permanent structure should be built. Here I would suggest something outrageous. Imagine in lagos you build a 3 bedroom flat with AC etc would it be more profitable to rent it out to humans or to grow tomatoes in it . This should be a question of analysis with facts and figures not sentiments

We are all on the same page! For instance Kenya export lots of fresh produce and most of them are grown in greenhouses. If for example the greenhouses are cheaper a lot of people would go into the business and maybe we can acquire some market share from the kenyans too.

Also it is possible to own one of those greenhouses in naija and say maybe grow strawberries instead of tomatoes and you might breakeven within 2 years since strawberries are imported and expensive too but all these requires market analysis and feasibility!
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jasper7(m): 8:16pm On Jan 23, 2015
This thread has been corrupted by some silly comments. I hope this thread doesn't lose it's substance.

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by choiceman(m): 9:09pm On Jan 23, 2015
TAEpiphany:
On the DIzengoff website they claim their 24x8 will produce 5-7 tonnes within 6-8 months if I’m reading correctly. They also claim that’s the equivalent of what you will get from 1 hectare if you used traditional means. Jethro can you speak to this? I know you mentioned you were told you can get 20tonnes from 1 hectare.
If we place the total price to get the greenhouse running at 1.5 million and you produce at least 5000Kg (5 tonnes), and you sell in worst case scenario at 100/kg, you will be making a measly 500K after first harvest. This means it will take about 4 cycles (about 3 yrs, all things being equal) before you can even make your investment back. And you have to consider, cost of maintenance too. The figures are not looking attractive to me. They sound like a rip-off
. For a greenhouse farming, there are crops you can grow that fetch you big money. If you grow say a beefsteak tomato, you can sell them as high as 400/kg, just like you is sold in shop rite. you can go to construction companies where there are a lot of expatriate and market this specie of tomato. Another thing you can grow in a greenhouse that is very marketable in Nigeria is the English Cucumber one goes for 600 Naira in Nigeria market. Guys threads like this can't lose substance, the is like a brain storming session, i am very sure one amongst us will have a break through soon. Attached is the payback calculation of a 8x24m tunnel or greenhouse. Please don't mind the orientation, i don't have a scanner, used my phone camera

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jeffmyson(m): 9:34pm On Jan 23, 2015
jasper7:
This thread has been corrupted by some silly comments. I hope this thread doesn't lose it's substance.

This thread is a perfect brainstorming session! Every critic and contribution have enriched this discuss!

The relevance of the thread is when it makes sense and someone actually get valuable informations that will lead to their breakthrough!

3 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by TAEpiphany: 10:08pm On Jan 23, 2015
Nice info. But another question is, these kits are tailored to grow tomatoes (I stand to be corrected), can you use the same system to grow cucumber?
Another thing, the wider your market is the sometimes better. If you have a too narrow market and you harvest and for whatever reason your customers drop the ball, how do you get rid of your produce before it rots?

It's nice in theory to think contracts can never be broken, or is there a way to have a contract bond to say if customer disappoints they will pay 80% of cost? I doubt it. The supply chain in Nigeria is still very fuzzy, in some cases you need good leg-work apart from your produce being good to be a choice supplier for these supermarkets.

We haven't even considered wastage, chances that the greenhouse might not weather the storm for more than a year etc . The analysis you posted is suggesting about 2.3M for a 2 year period. I like to go by worst case scenario and if we do that, your breaking-even future is very bleak.

choiceman:
. For a greenhouse farming, there are crops you can grow that fetch you big money. If you grow say a beefsteak tomato, you can sell them as high as 400/kg, just like you is sold in shop rite. you can go to construction companies where there are a lot of expatriate and market this specie of tomato. Another thing you can grow in a greenhouse that is very marketable in Nigeria is the English Cucumber one goes for 600 Naira in Nigeria market. Guys threads like this can't lose substance, the is like a brain storming session, i am very sure one amongst us will have a break through soon. Attached is the payback calculation of a 8x24m tunnel or greenhouse. Please don't mind the orientation, i don't have a scanner, used my phone camera

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by data123(m): 10:16pm On Jan 23, 2015
Pavore9:
Though Dizengoff is ripping off l suggest whoever is setting up a greenhouse to make sure it is high yielding & crops that are expensive in the open market. Will try & upload short videos of young Kenyans growiog cucumber & capsicum in a greenhouse.

Bro it's like most of the vegetables (tomato and d rest) are largely grown in Kenya....
Don u think it will be good idea if one can travel down dia for some training.... Since our weather is kinda the same....

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jasper7(m): 11:58pm On Jan 23, 2015
jeffmyson:

This thread is a perfect brainstorming session! Every critic and contribution have enriched this discuss!

The relevance of the thread is when it makes sense and someone actually get valuable informations that will lead to their breakthrough!
am glad that people are benefiting from the thread. it's great. but, I see alot of theoretical farmers here now, unlike at the initial stage when people were making practical and achievable comments. but it's okay. so far as people are benefiting. I just pray that mis-information is not passed here. just like the guy who said you can hardly make 200k from a hectare of tomatoes. come on! that comment was ridiculous. and very mis-informing

2 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jaydee87(m): 12:04am On Jan 24, 2015
anybody has an idea how much I can get 1000 tonne of ginger and garlic... ?
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 12:15am On Jan 24, 2015
brainiac007:
Thanks Jetro for this rich expose. You've always been an inspiration. Right from our 1st meeting at Ogbomosho at the YABDI training you've not ceased to amaze me in your depth of knowledge of the subject of farming. Please keep up the good work.
You are welcome sir
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 12:19am On Jan 24, 2015
mfm04622:
You did not tell us how you solved the problem of the baskets.
I later discovered one get ready made basket at a reasonable price in Mile 12.
The villagers were weaving basket for me at 200-300 per basket. I was able to buy the same size of basket for N100 at mile 12

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 12:21am On Jan 24, 2015
Nairawriter:
Wow. This is new. Thumbs up op.

http://www.nairawriter.com/2015/01/da-big-house-comedy-series-episode-11.html
Funmfunm:
Wow! So much to gain, thank you very much for this immense contribution Jethro. I'm so excited to find time to catch up. Thanks all.
Its my pleasure.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 12:26am On Jan 24, 2015
omonnakoda:

So can one make money with this Dizengoff kit at that Price??
Yes one can make money from a green house. Though Dizengof is quite on the high side
jeffmyson:

Yes! You will make money but it will probably take you upto 2 years to go through the learning curve and then at around 3 years you will break even!

Agri business is slow and steady mate!
I don't agree with this.
I have met some one that is making cool dough from green house in Nigeria. It takes within a year. One just need to put in some work
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 12:29am On Jan 24, 2015
Pavore9:
They are taking advantage of being the big fish in the sector, if strong competition steps in prices will crash as it has done in Kenya.
You are perfectly right sir.
Dizengolf is still the only green house provider in Nigeria so they are extorting the masses.
Very soon, i mean very soon, they will might to contend with some competitions

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 12:30am On Jan 24, 2015
choiceman:

Why not? you can make money earlier than expected but your shoe go chop. Except you have a good marketing network then you can smile to bank easily but you know marketing no easy. The trick here is packaging. Identify the market, device means of attracting people to get your product. I have a poultry farm, i work in a corporate environment, i always ask the janitor to collect A4 paper rim packs with this, i sell eggs to my colleagues at the very good price better than what i will sell to middlemen that tend to eat all the profit. You could get a ziploc bag, take your product to offices, schools where you have women with persistence i am sure you can make money fast. i am sharing my some of my ideas with you FOC. But serious it works, just a little push. Sometimes people overlook the average/middle class citizens but to a large extent that is where the money is just win their hearts and you don hammer.
Supported.

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 12:34am On Jan 24, 2015
Gadgetmobil:
@ Jethro.
You are a pride not only of this generation but also the generation to come.
Keep your head up, be open to suggestions and as well criticms.
@Choiceman, don't let go of your expertise. The future awaits your innovations now.
@Jeff they'd hear us bit let us not keep talking about it.
All the best
Thank you
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 12:44am On Jan 24, 2015
TAEpiphany:
On the DIzengoff website they claim their 24x8 will produce 5-7 tonnes within 6-8 months if I’m reading correctly. They also claim that’s the equivalent of what you will get from 1 hectare if you used traditional means. Jethro can you speak to this? I know you mentioned you were told you can get 20tonnes from 1 hectare.
If we place the total price to get the greenhouse running at 1.5 million and you produce at least 5000Kg (5 tonnes), and you sell in worst case scenario at 100/kg, you will be making a measly 500K after first harvest. This means it will take about 4 cycles (about 3 yrs, all things being equal) before you can even make your investment back. And you have to consider, cost of maintenance too. The figures are not looking attractive to me. They sound like a rip-off
Green house products are always unique and thereby dictates markets. Quality tomatoes are always in demand.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by choiceman(m): 12:50am On Jan 24, 2015
@jethro, where is your farm situated? Would also like to know if you have had bacteria wilt and how you approached it. Like someone mentioned, I have theoretical knowledge of tunnel farming based on books, YouTube and contact with farmers in Israel, Spain and Kenya. That is the basis brother,you don't go into a business blindly. I started my poultry farm 6 years after I had planned it on paper and Alhamdulilah, I am doing very well. Where someone spent 8m to set up a poultry farm, I used half of his budget for the same capacity even doing better than him. As a farmer, improvisation is very important that is the reason why you'd need to do extensive research b4 starting, in Agric, we use other people's mistake to perfect our plans that is the essence of forum like this. Wish everyone best of luck. I always say Agric leads to good living because you are always fulfill when you are doing well.

12 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 12:53am On Jan 24, 2015
I have been reading a lot of interesting contributions. I was hoping, i could attend to most concerns. But alas No. Its been an hectic day on the farm today.To be back soon
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 12:56am On Jan 24, 2015
choiceman:
@jethro, where is your farm situated? Would also like to know if you have had bacteria wilt and how you approached it. Like someone mentioned, I have theoretical knowledge of tunnel farming based on books, YouTube and contact with farmers in Israel, Spain and Kenya. That is the basis brother,you don't go into a business blindly. I started my poultry farm 6 years after I had planned it on paper and Alhamdulilah, I am doing very well. Where someone spent 8m to set up a poultry farm, I used half of his budget for the same capacity even doing better than him. As a farmer, improvisation is very important that is the reason why you'd need to do extensive research b4 starting, in Agric, we use other people's mistake to perfect our plans that is the essence of forum like this. Wish everyone best of luck. I always say Agric leads to good living because you are always fulfill when you are doing well.
Farm is located in Saki East LGA of Oyo state.
Its good to have both knowledge. Theory and practical. Practising is an interesting experience
Yes. I have had to deal with bacterial wilth at one point or the other.
Bacteria wilt has no cure other than to uproot the plant to stop the spread.
There are tomatoes seed that are resistance to bacterial wilt.
Another preventive measure is to treat the soil before planting

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by TAEpiphany: 1:05am On Jan 24, 2015
You have done well. Please get some rest.

jethro2:
I have been reading a lot of interesting contributions. I was hoping, i could attend to most concerns. But alas No. Its been an hectic day on the farm today.To be back soon
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by stint(m): 1:09am On Jan 24, 2015
What if u guys just go half way on the green house. Is it the sunscreen or the net or temperature control? Since open farming is also profitable. You can just throw in some functions of the green house without actually having a green house e.g you can import the uv stuff and use it to make a roof for your plants. See how that changes things.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by solozo72(m): 3:21am On Jan 24, 2015
Concerning Greenhouse farming, my take is that any Nigerian farmer wishing to use such should ask him/herself some pertinent questions such as:
1. Do I really need a Greenhouse given our climatic conditions?
2. Can I afford the present one being sold by Dizenghof
3. Are there alternative means of constructing such Greenhouses from available local materials? etc etc
I'll try make I put concerning the third question. We as a nation are resillient and resourceful. I have had the opportunity to see Kenyans constructing cheap green houses from local materials that are also available here in Nigeria. Though their climates are similar to Nigeria's their cold season could be quite colder than ours. That said, the frames of the structure was made from wood, the roofing and part upper walls from Tapaulin and the rest wall from strong insect nets....all these are available here.It may not look like that of Dizenghoff but it will serve I assure u. All that needs to be added(which Dizenghoff adds to shoot up price) is the training on seedlings, crop cultivation, soil preparation, disease control, crop monitoring, irrigation etc.....common guys let's dig deep into our Naija spirit....we can do it.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Pavore9: 3:54am On Jan 24, 2015
The UV 200 microns sheets are compatible with d Nigerian weather because l have seen many in northern Kenya which is as harsh as our own north, weather-wise. Though Kenya has cooler weather but we can still grow vegetables we import using greenhouses.

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Pavore9: 4:13am On Jan 24, 2015
Am unable to upload the greenhouse videos l promised though it is 3mins each bt their sizes are 14.7MB & 19.3MB. Have lots of these short videos on youths growing different vegetables in greenhouses, showing how profitable it is likewise challenges.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Pavore9: 4:25am On Jan 24, 2015
@TAEpiphany, the same greenhouse grows whatever you want, u can easily grow tomatoes, cucumber, capsicum, lettuce & cabbage inside one greenhouse. Once u are grounded in the knowledge, anything is possible, u can even grow strawberry aquaponically.

Attached picture is a N500k greenhouse and the seeds of the tomatoes and capsicum were brought in from lsreal. This greenhouse produce is specifically for the export market.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by TAEpiphany: 1:43pm On Jan 24, 2015
Oh la la....it's starting to look promising again. Thanks Pavore, where have you been all my life. Next thing I would be worried about is quality. Shei there's a proverb which says the house built on sand na wind go carry am...how does one protect against strong winds and rain during raining season? Abi it's safe to say 9ja winds no dey carry house /roofgrin......
You know this looks to me like tents people be putting up for wedding ceremonies, haba I'm surprised a lot of Nigerians haven't tapped into this. Just put up tent and add fan and sand na...una don build GH be that grin

What's the size of this one?

Pavore9:
@TAEpiphany, the same greenhouse grows whatever you want, u can easily grow tomatoes, cucumber, capsicum, lettuce & cabbage inside one greenhouse. Once u are grounded in the knowledge, anything is possible, u can even grow strawberry aquaponically.

Attached picture is a N500k greenhouse and the seeds of the tomatoes and capsicum were brought in from lsreal. This greenhouse produce is specifically for the export market.

2 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Pavore9: 2:47pm On Jan 24, 2015
@TAEpiphany, it is 24ft by 72ft. for the 8 months of tomato harvest, it is 1,960kg/monthly (it is export quality tomatoes) then using the same sized greenhouse one gets 1625kg of capsicum monthly (note that capsicum is lightweight & more makes 1kg)

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by amarawa: 2:48pm On Jan 24, 2015
Pls can anyone do the cost analysis of say tomatoes in an acre size of the canopied green house. It seems to me that the houses are too small for large scale farming. For exp, how many tons / kg of tomatoes can the 500k house produce?
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jeffmyson(m): 3:09pm On Jan 24, 2015
jethro2:

Yes one can make money from a green house. Though Dizengof is quite on the high side
I don't agree with this.
I have met some one that is making cool dough from green house in Nigeria. It takes within a year. One just need to put in some work

Can you prove this with hard data? Can you do a computational analysis showing the possibility of breaking even within 1 year? You don't need to upload it here, just do it so that you will be convinced yourself, you have to factor in the best case scenario, worst case scenario and mid point scenario and then use the average.

I still maintain my stance, it will take you minimum of two years to break even and 3 years max!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (39) (Reply)

Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures / Updated Price Of Grains And Location. / Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures*

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.