Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,836 members, 7,820,917 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:51 AM

Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures - Agriculture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures (214237 Views)

Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria / Green House Tomato Production / Cassava Production And Processed Products Made From Cassava (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (39) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 6:37pm On Jan 27, 2015
Then i create a thread on nairaland.
"Sell my tomatoes in your neighbourhood and get 10% from the sales.
What to do
Find minimum of 50 tomatoes sellers in your neighourhood.
Each must be willing to pick atleast 2 basket.
Make arrangement for where to bring the produce for pick up. (I will visit to see if the road is accessible)
We bring the tomato at a better price than mile 12.(We will be saving transport fare for the women and stress)
Imagine those that moves from Okoko to Mile 12.
I posted this on several threads. I even went to job section to post. Lets create jobs
There was someone there that said "is this job?
Please go to advertisement.
I keep updating this until i have no tomatoes again.
During those period i visit some intending marketers place in Lagos.
Yes to that extent.

11 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Liferace: 7:33pm On Jan 27, 2015
wow.....i doff my hat for you maám.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by karlxavier(m): 8:09pm On Jan 27, 2015
okay@jethro, please i want to ask, for dry season farming, if you have like 1.6million naira, you are going to triple that investment. hope i got this statement right i guess.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Ufeolorun(m): 8:52pm On Jan 27, 2015
jethro2:
What to do
Make arrangement for where to bring the produce for pick up. (I will visit to see if the road is accessible)
We bring the tomato at a better price than mile 12.(We will be saving transport fare for the women and stress)
I posted this on several threads. I even went to job section to post. Lets create jobs
Yes to that extent.

I might have missed it because I am wondering, why aren't you targeting Ibadan market

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Nobody: 9:21pm On Jan 27, 2015
karlxavier:
okay@jethro, please i want to ask, for dry season farming, if you have like 1.6million naira, you are going to triple that investment. hope i got this statement right i guess.

na so so money money ppl wan hear.

2 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 9:45pm On Jan 27, 2015
@liferace. Thank you.
@karlxavier. Believe me with what i know now.
@ufeolorun. Someone told me Ibadan market is not it. (I later learnt to investigate every saying)
@mercylicious. Na so sooooo
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 10:30pm On Jan 27, 2015
Despite the facts that my tomatoes are not much to move to market again, i decided to continue in my search for tomato market.
If not for now, but for some other time.
Then i remember an elderly farmer i met sometimes ago. Baba has been selling vegetables in Mile 12 for over 20 years.
I pick my phone and called baba.
"ha how can you say you don't have market when you know me"? He exclaimed.
I have contact that sells in mile 12. They will sell for you.
But....
Another but, I thought.
" I don't have his no again. Baba said"
Is that it? I asked. I can locate him
Okay come to Ibadan to take the description

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by bawelat: 10:38pm On Jan 27, 2015
@choiceman i wiill email u asap sir,thanks for the encouragment,can i still plant ewedu nw and make reasonable returns.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 10:43pm On Jan 27, 2015
Baba gave me one of his ID card with passport photograph, the name of the contact and the vegetable shed he most likely stays.
It was with this information that i headed to Mile 12 market in Lagos.
hmmmnm
Considering the distance between my house in Okokomaiko to mile 12 in relative to the almost impossible mission at hand, I opt to stay in an hotel in ketu.
First day i enter mile 12 market. The search begins.
Mallam I beg i dry find Musa. That's me asking.
Wetin be him papa name?
I no know
Weting he dry sell?
Cucumber
Call him number now!!!!!!!
I no know im no
How you wan come find am?
I go find am.
The mallam go just walk away from me.
I will now move to the next person
And the next
And the next
First day

8 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by daemperor1(m): 12:10am On Jan 28, 2015
jethro2:

Na soooo my brother. If I have N1.6m for dry season irrigation for tomatoes means i will be tripling that amount by the end of the season. So why would I go for Dizengolf green house? Preferably i will source for raw materials like bamboos to construct my own green house at an affordable expenses

I quite agree with you to follow the Kenyan model. One can source materials on youtube and contract some local builders and it's done, it won't hurt to start small.

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by daemperor1(m): 12:21am On Jan 28, 2015
jethro2:
BACK TO MY STORY
I was sort of hopeful for the second trip since
1. I have sorted the tomatoes into sizes
2. I took my time to select the good ones.
3. My basket was of the same size through
So i headed for Lagos, same woman.
Since i already envisage the price for each basket at minimum N1000 each, What i did was to handle the tomatoes over to the woman and turned back to farm.
I was still on the road when her call came in to tell me the buyers insisted N700.
I told her no. She said i should speak with the woman on the phone. I said No
I told her not to sell less than a thousand naira.
I would rather loss all the tomatoes than allow them extort me the second time.
I was that determined.
I don't expect any complained after all the stress of sorting and all
And i off the phone.
(Meanwhile before the second trip, she was constantly asking for when i will bring tomatoes again. That a lot of people are expecting)
I didn't hear from her again until evening.
The tomatoes has been sold.
Yes sold.....
No single one remaining.

Wow! It was good you stood your ground and switched off your phone.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by daemperor1(m): 12:29am On Jan 28, 2015
jethro2:
What to do
Yes to that extent.

It's getting very interesting.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jeffmyson(m): 9:39am On Jan 28, 2015
jethro2:
What to do
Yes to that extent.

I love the spirit you put into your business!

The big problem we have with our unemployed youths is their lack of initiatives and love of white collar jobs. They don't want to succeed on their own. They are more happy to roam the streets hawking GNLD products and other rubbish MLM scams around.

6 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by boluwajokosegun: 4:52pm On Jan 28, 2015
Jethro2 , i must confess that you are determine & focus in agric biz. I can now understand what you experienced last year. But as we all know experience is the best teacher.
What you had put up here is worth hundreds of thousand naira if you are to do a good market survey & back it up as a practical consultant
Welldone for the good works & keep it up.

2 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 7:13am On Jan 29, 2015
daemperor1:

I quite agree with you to follow the Kenyan model. One can source materials on youtube and contract some local builders and it's done, it won't hurt to start small.
daemperor1:

It's getting very interesting.
Thank you sir.
We have enough local materials here. Its better to source that than importing
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 7:15am On Jan 29, 2015
jeffmyson:

I love the spirit you put into your business!
The big problem we have with our unemployed youths is their lack of initiatives and love of white collar jobs. They don't want to succeed on their own. They are more happy to roam the streets hawking GNLD products and other rubbish MLM scams around.
Sir, my people say whoever will scoop honey from the rock will not be checking the edge of the axe.
Success does not come easy but most of our youth are searching for it non challantly

3 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jeffmyson(m): 10:24am On Jan 29, 2015
jethro2:

Sir, my people say whoever will scoop honey from the rock will not be checking the edge of the axe.
Success does not come easy but most of our youth are searching for it non challantly

You are right! Lovely quote.

Some of this Youth will even go to the nearby Vendors stand to argue about GEJ vs GMB and some will even go to the ridiculous extent to be arguing how much mikel is paid at chelsea and how he even earns more than lampard and some of them will even tell you where he ate dinner last weekend and the family names of his russian girlfriend and their net worth!

All this time could be used for better engagements that will move them to the next level.

9 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by daemperor1(m): 1:11pm On Jan 29, 2015
jeffmyson:

Some of this Youth will even go to the nearby Vendors stand to argue about GEJ vs GMB and some will even go to the ridiculous extent to be arguing how much mikel is paid at chelsea and how he even earns more than lampard and some of them will even tell you where he ate dinner last weekend and the family names of his russian girlfriend and their net worth!

All this time could be used for better engagements that will move them to the next level.

You can never be more correct and note that they represent part of the future of this country.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Blurry: 2:47pm On Jan 29, 2015
Amazing stories here....

Its hard to believe this Jethro is a woman. Such doggedness and tenacity is so uncommon.

God bless you and your hustle dear.

Respect!

5 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 3:15pm On Jan 29, 2015
boluwajokosegun:
Jethro2 , i must confess that you are determine & focus in agric biz. I can now understand what you experienced last year. But as we all know experience is the best teacher.
What you had put up here is worth hundreds of thousand naira if you are to do a good market survey & back it up as a practical consultant
Welldone for the good works & keep it up.
Thank you sir
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 3:19pm On Jan 29, 2015
jeffmyson:

You are right! Lovely quote.
Most are contented with where they are. While some are looking for sharp sharp money. We also have those that are waiting for the non existing government to send assistance. They keep forgetting that God help those who help themselves

3 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 3:22pm On Jan 29, 2015
Blurry:
Amazing stories here....
Its hard to believe this Jethro is a woman. Such doggedness and tenacity is so uncommon.
God bless you and your hustle dear.
Respect!
Thank you sir.

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 5:39pm On Jan 30, 2015
Oh I know this man.
"hmnnnn. you know am"
Yes. I know am. Na our customer. Na im dey bring cucumber and lettuce"
Mallam please check well
I say i know am. he dey come from Ibadan.
Wow. I exclaimed. At long last
That was my third day in Mile 12 market.
Baba was identified a green pepper seller, one out of the numerous people that i have been showing the passport photograph to .
So i requested for Musa. Baba's contact.
That was how my search became fruitful.
Mallam called Musa on phone, I spoke with him and after some second i finally met him.

4 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 5:45pm On Jan 30, 2015
Musa only deals with cucumber and water melon but he has brothers that deals with other vegetables.
I travelled back to Ibadan to return Baba's ID card and to say a very big thank you.
And that begins my sojourn into Mile 12 vegetable market.
Dont forget i started with 2 types of market. I have just narrated my experience with the open market.
In subsequent write ups I will be giving few details about the other type of market that i refered to as standard market. Stay tuned

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 5:53pm On Jan 30, 2015
I supply tomatoes to mile 12 just few times before my tomatoes finally pack up. I still visits the market whenever i am in Lagos to keep abreast of sales. I have also made several contacts through Musa for some other products.
Despite this, I believe Mile 12 should not be the end of my vegetable market. So i still continue in my search for market.
Mile 12 is a seasonal market. I cant afford to be a seasonal farmer if I want to break even in agriculture. I need something constant. I need to be able to budget and plan my earnings in a year. So I need more supplement market.
This brings the need for standard market search

4 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by 1money: 5:56pm On Jan 30, 2015
Wow! I love your story and I love your spirit. Keep it coming, learning a lot. Thanks
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Fhemmmy: 5:57pm On Jan 30, 2015
jethro2:
I supply tomatoes to mile 12 just few times before my tomatoes finally pack up. I still visits the market whenever i am in Lagos to keep abreast of sales. I have also made several contacts through Musa for some other products.
Despite this, I believe Mile 12 should not be the end of my vegetable market. So i still continue in my search for market.
Mile 12 is a seasonal market. I cant afford to be a seasonal farmer if I want to break even in agriculture. I need something constant. I need to be able to budget and plan my earnings in a year. So I need more supplement market.
This brings the need for standard market search

I have followed your write up in farming and i find it hard to blv you are a woman, if not that few met you already, i do admire your zeal in farming, and we surely gonna rub mind.... Keep it up and God bless.

2 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 6:02pm On Jan 30, 2015
1money:
Wow! I love your story and I love your spirit. Keep it coming, learning a lot. Thanks
My ogas. Thank you sir
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Liferace: 10:01pm On Jan 30, 2015
enjoying every bit....thanks a lot for sharing.

So,when you say Mile 12 market is seasonal,do you mean they dont sell tomatoes all year round or you are talking about gluts?. And how have you been handling it?.

Whats your advice for anyone interested going into the business concerning seed varieties?.Do you think its possible to sell in mile 12 without a referral as in your own case?
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 11:37pm On Jan 30, 2015
Fhemmmy:

I have followed your write up in farming and i find it hard to blv you are a woman, if not that few met you already, i do admire your zeal in farming, and we surely gonna rub mind.... Keep it up and God bless.
Oga Fhemmmy. We women are upping our games. Thank you sir

4 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 11:46pm On Jan 30, 2015
Liferace:
enjoying every bit....thanks a lot for sharing.
So,when you say Mile 12 market is seasonal,do you mean they dont sell tomatoes all year round or you are talking about gluts?. And how have you been handling it?.
Whats your advice for anyone interested going into the business concerning seed varieties?.Do you think its possible to sell in mile 12 without a referral as in your own case?
You can sell every day throughout the season in mile 12. The market dictates the price. Every farmer plants tomatoes during the rainy season so there is always supplus in the market and the price falls.
If you have been planting continously and one make use of high yielding variety, the fall in price effects could be very minimal.
But for those who buy to sell, my advice is dont dare go there.
Always use seed that are resistance to certain diseases.
You must have a link or referral before you can take anything to mile 12 or any market at all in the big cities

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (39) (Reply)

Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures / Updated Price Of Grains And Location. / Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures*

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.