Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,337 members, 7,819,187 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:24 PM

Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures - Agriculture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures (214180 Views)

Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria / Green House Tomato Production / Cassava Production And Processed Products Made From Cassava (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (39) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Ufeolorun(m): 4:32am On Jan 25, 2015
1m for dizengoff Amiran kit maybe, another 300k for relevant running cost( workers),add another 300k if you don't have 2 plots so start up cost 1.6m. The kit promises. 7000kg of tomatoes all other things being equal (if you go for the nemo-neta package)
A basket of tomatoes in the market is, say 50kg -
7000/50 = 140 baskets. Assume a price lower than the prevailing market rate for competitive reason (so you can get a buyer quickly)

Let take 3k5 for a basket * 140 =490k first revenue

NB.
I assume the following;
7000kg would be the total from initial harvest but in real life, its likely to be the total over a multiple harvesting period

No loss atall from seed to harvest (unreal)

Lastly they would train you and leave you to it all probably after the first harvest.

The most important part of the polytunnel is the polythene and that should last about 2years depending on the quality hence you would have to buy another covering for your greenhouse

You can draw your conclusions

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jeffmyson(m): 6:44am On Jan 25, 2015
Ufeolorun:
1m for dizengoff Amiran kit maybe, another 300k for relevant running cost( workers),add another 300k if you don't have 2 plots so start up cost 1.6m. The kit promises. 7000kg of tomatoes all other things being equal (if you go for the nemo-neta package)
A basket of tomatoes in the market is, say 50kg -
7000/50 = 140 baskets. Assume a price lower than the prevailing market rate for competitive reason (so you can get a buyer quickly)

Let take 3k5 for a basket * 140 =490k first revenue

NB.
I assume the following;
7000kg would be the total from initial harvest but in real life, its likely to be the total over a multiple harvesting period

No loss atall from seed to harvest (unreal)

Lastly they would train you and leave you to it all probably after the first harvest.

The most important part of the polytunnel is the polythene and that should last about 2years depending on the quality hence you would have to buy another covering for your greenhouse

You can draw your conclusions
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by choiceman(m): 7:05am On Jan 25, 2015
Ufeolorun, dizengoff would want you to plant tomato like Beefsteak or Roma that attract a high price. The price of this type of tomato cannot be less than 400/kg. So in a planting circle of about 180days, you are expected to get 7tons by 400 will give us like NGN 2m and above in 9 months. Please note that the first harvest starts at about 85 to 90 days after planting. Quantity and quality of produce depends on your expertise. With greenhouse farming and market, it is achievable

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by choiceman(m): 7:12am On Jan 25, 2015
Sorry guys, I fail to add that there could be 3 circles in a year. Each circle gives an average of 2.3tons per circle, that is 2300kg by 400 = 920k/circle

3 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jeffmyson(m): 8:01am On Jan 25, 2015
choiceman:
Ufeolorun, dizengoff would want you to plant tomato like Beefsteak or Roma that attract a high price. The price of this type of tomato cannot be less than 400/kg. So in a planting circle of about 180days, you are expected to get 7tons by 400 will give us like NGN 2m and above. Please note that the first harvest starts at about 85 to 90 days after planting. Quantity and quality of produce depends on your expertise. With greenhouse farming and market, it is achievable

You are probably right however you should realise that in preparing a feasibility study you don't use a best case scenario! You use the average case scenario and base your calculations on the market rate as if you fail to find a supermarket buyer you will have no choice but to sell in the Open market.

Let me give you an instance, would you probably fund a dizengoff greenhouse if someone came to you to take a loan for the business based on the above calculations? I know for sure that there are other scenarios you would like to be included!

4 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by choiceman(m): 10:17am On Jan 25, 2015
@Jeffmyson, I rather raise money and take the risk. Taken a loan will further increase the risk. There are lots of uncertainties in Agric business because you don't determine price at times because of market forces. Exampl, December is usually pay period for poultry farmers but 2014 December was a bad @ a at a point, I had over 300 crates no buyer, I had to bring down the price and do door to door marketing. In Nigeria there is no price control on most Agric produce that is why most times farmer at the receiving ends. We advised Lagos State to buy as middlemen and sell to retailers but lah they said they are still working on it. This will not discourage me my brother, I have imported beefsteak tomato, what is holding me back is plastic mulch.

6 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by omonnakoda: 10:44am On Jan 25, 2015
choiceman:
@Jeffmyson, I rather raise money and take the risk. Taken a loan will further increase the risk. There are lots of uncertainties in Agric business because you don't determine price at times because of market forces. Exampl, December is usually pay period for poultry farmers but 2014 December was a bad @ a at a point, I had over 300 crates no buyer, I had to bring down the price and do door to door marketing. In Nigeria there is no price control on most Agric produce that is why most times farmer at the receiving ends. We advised Lagos State to buy as middlemen and sell to retailers but lah they said they are still working on it. This will not discourage me my brother, I have imported beefsteak tomato, what is holding me back is plastic mulch.
Why do you import tomato and at what cost?

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by choiceman(m): 11:49am On Jan 25, 2015
I couldn't get seeds locally. I tried o but when I couldn't get I decided to get from my friend based in Germany. He got it for free of charge but will force him to tell me the total cost but sure isn't more than 100 eur for 1000 seed of Beef tomato, 1000 of Roma tomato and 500 sugarbaby water melon. Bros, I have been searching for plastic mulch now since November 2014 and if I don't get at the end of the month, I will have to import again

2 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by omonnakoda: 11:57am On Jan 25, 2015
choiceman:
I couldn't get seeds locally. I tried o but when I couldn't get I decided to get from my friend based in Germany. He got it for free of charge but will force him to tell me the total cost but sure isn't more than 100 eur for 1000 seed of Beef tomato, 1000 of Roma tomato and 500 sugarbaby water melon. Bros, I have been searching for plastic mulch now since November 2014 and if I don't get at the end of the month, I will have to import again
Where is your farm??

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by choiceman(m): 12:08pm On Jan 25, 2015
My tomato and watermelon farm will be at Ijede in Ikorodu. That is the pilot project, I have an acre at imota where I will settle for after my experimentation. The total cost of the seeds is 120 eur. Roma 2000@40 eur, beef 1000@50 while the water melon 500@30 eur.

2 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by omonnakoda: 12:13pm On Jan 25, 2015
choiceman:
My tomato and watermelon farm will be at Ijede in Ikorodu. That is the pilot project, I have an acre at imota where I will settle for after my experimentation. The total cost of the seeds is 120 eur. Roma 2000@40 eur, beef 1000@50 while the water melon 500@30 eur.
How much is an acre in those areas
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Pavore9: 12:15pm On Jan 25, 2015
choiceman:

ls the Sugarbaby watermelon seeds not available in Nigeria?

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by choiceman(m): 2:12pm On Jan 25, 2015
Land in those areas are relatively cheap, ranges from say 200k/ plot to 400k by 6. I don't buy land for people o, omoniles they craze especially if you leave the land fallow. @pavore, I don't know if you can get it in Nigeria but I couldnt find any since NOV. 2014. I called friends in Zaria,still didn't get any.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Soloxam(m): 2:54pm On Jan 25, 2015
choiceman:
Land in those areas are relatively cheap, ranges from say 200k/ plot to 400k by 6. I don't buy land for people o, omoniles they craze especially if you leave the land fallow. @pavore, I don't know if you can get it in Nigeria but I couldnt find any since NOV. 2014. I called friends in Zaria,still didn't get any.
Very much avialable in Agritropic Ltd. Even the roman tomato is available (roman vf and roman Savannah) @ very cheaper Price .
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by choiceman(m): 3:25pm On Jan 25, 2015
@soloxam, you are too much. Thank you so so much.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Soloxam(m): 3:51pm On Jan 25, 2015
choiceman:
@soloxam, you are too much. Thank you so so much.
uwc sir, u can call the number on my signature if u need the seeds.

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by choiceman(m): 5:36pm On Jan 25, 2015
@Soloxam, one more thing please. I need plastic mulch as well, could you help me out with that too? I really appreciate the gesture, thank you so much. If you be woman I for propose to you now now
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Kalusam(m): 8:07pm On Jan 25, 2015
You don't need to import plastic mulch. We have plastic mulch for sale in large quantities and can last for up to a year planting season here in Nigeria.
choiceman:
Bros, I have been searching for plastic mulch now since November 2014 and if I don't get at the end of the month, I will have to import again

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Soloxam(m): 8:13pm On Jan 25, 2015
choiceman:
@Soloxam, one more thing please. I need plastic mulch as well, could you help me out with that too? I really appreciate the gesture, thank you so much. If you be woman I for propose to you now now
@ chioceman LOL... U can contact Kalusam for mulching film at a cheaper price.....
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 8:34pm On Jan 25, 2015
Wow. What a great discussion going on here. Sincerely i wish the time is there for me to post. Thanks all for contributing.

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by securi: 9:14pm On Jan 25, 2015
Sir Kalusam, how do you sell pls? Thnx

Kalusam:
You don't need to import plastic mulch. We have plastic mulch for sale in large quantities and can last for up to a year planting season here in Nigeria.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by choiceman(m): 10:01pm On Jan 25, 2015
Kalusam, please how much is the plastic mulch? And where can I get it? I am in Ikorodu, that is where I reside.

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by daemperor1(m): 1:46am On Jan 26, 2015
What an exciting conversation going on here.

@Pavore9: thanks a lot for always keeping us abreast with how agriculture is thriving in Kenya, the fact remains that they're miles ahead of us. 'Would like to visit Kenya someday and hope you'll show me around.

@ Choiceman : your posts have being very inspiring I must confess! Your 'can do' spirit which is explicit on your posts has lit a flame in me. I hope to visit your pet project sometime, at your convenience, if you don't mind.

@Jethro2: I duff my hat to you madam. Without your setting up of this tread I wonder what would've have happened to all those who' ve been inspired by this tread. You are truly an inspiration to the generations before, now and after. Ma' am, this is not your first tread and I know it wont be the last. Keep inspiring lives through agriculture.

@All: When embarking on a task, sought out both the possible risks and rewards therein. Do not let the enticing sound of the reward cause you to throw away caution, do not let the fear of the risks make you in-active. It is better do something and fail than to sit back and do nothing.

4 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by nikaShow(m): 7:14am On Jan 26, 2015
Jethro , and everybody , thanks for the expose on greenhouse ,

Please can we come back to the less 'expertised' production of tomatoes ,

Jethro2 , what was your production schedule like the first time you planted and lost and please tell us your current 'schedule from production to sales' that makes it profitable...

Some of us are not yet looking at grenhouse , but we are looking at tomatoe production , please Jethro2 , back to your 'real and practical story'...

3 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 7:14am On Jan 26, 2015
stint:
What if u guys just go half way on the green house. Is it the sunscreen or the net or temperature control? Since open farming is also profitable. You can just throw in some functions of the green house without actually having a green house e.g you can import the uv stuff and use it to make a roof for your plants. See how that changes things.
Thank you sir for this. That's where innovation comes in

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 7:16am On Jan 26, 2015
TAEpiphany:
Oh la la....it's starting to look promising again. Thanks Pavore, where have you been all my life. Next thing I would be worried about is quality. Shei there's a proverb which says the house built on sand na wind go carry am...how does one protect against strong winds and rain during raining season? Abi it's safe to say 9ja winds no dey carry house /roofgrin......
You know this looks to me like tents people be putting up for wedding ceremonies, haba I'm surprised a lot of Nigerians haven't tapped into this. Just put up tent and add fan and sand na...una don build GH be that grin

What's the size of this one?

That's the spirit. Green house can be constructed locally. Local materials are available in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 7:26am On Jan 26, 2015
nikaShow:
Jethro , and everybody , thanks for the expose on greenhouse ,

Please can we come back to the less 'expertised' production of tomatoes ,

Jethro2 , what was your production schedule like the first time you planted and lost and please tell us your current 'schedule from production to sales' that makes it profitable...

Some of us are not yet looking at grenhouse , but we are looking at tomatoe production , please Jethro2 , back to your 'real and practical story'...
The first time planting was a total disaster.
First, my production was trial and error. We were using internet calculations.
After that, I have been to trainings on good agricultural practises, sourcing for good seeds that are compatible with our climate in Nigeria, pest and diseases control etc.
As a farmer, one have to become a crop doctor. Learn to detect diseases and pest.
Marketing is complete work on its own. No one can do that for you. The market is out there. Don't plant if you don't have market.
I was searching for market when my crop was due for harvest.
Using open markets need targeting. Target the seasonality of the market so you can time your production

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 7:27am On Jan 26, 2015
daemperor1:
What an exciting conversation going on here.

@Pavore9: thanks a lot for always keeping us abreast with how agriculture is thriving in Kenya, the fact remains that they're miles ahead of us. 'Would like to visit Kenya someday and hope you'll show me around.

@ Choiceman : your posts have being very inspiring I must confess! Your 'can do' spirit which is explicit on your posts has lit a flame in me. I hope to visit your pet project sometime, at your convenience, if you don't mind.

@Jethro2: I duff my hat to you madam. Without your setting up of this tread I wonder what would've have happened to all those who' ve been inspired by this tread. You are truly an inspiration to the generations before, now and after. Ma' am, this is not your first tread and I know it wont be the last. Keep inspiring lives through agriculture.

@All: When embarking on a task, sought out both the possible risks and rewards therein. Do not let the enticing sound of the reward cause you to throw away caution, do not let the fear of the risks make you in-active. It is better do something and fail than to sit back and do nothing.

Thank you sir
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 7:40am On Jan 26, 2015
jeffmyson:

Can you prove this with hard data? Can you do a computational analysis showing the possibility of breaking even within 1 year? You don't need to upload it here, just do it so that you will be convinced yourself, you have to factor in the best case scenario, worst case scenario and mid point scenario and then use the average.

I still maintain my stance, it will take you minimum of two years to break even and 3 years max!
I am glad @ Choiceman for attending to the questions here. Atleast I m not the only one that is saying that.
Though the Dizengolf amira kit is expensive. But even at that one will break even within a year.
The market is there for good quality tomatoes.
Green house tomatoes quality always dictates price. When i say price i meant good price
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 7:45am On Jan 26, 2015
choiceman:
Sorry guys, I fail to add that there could be 3 circles in a year. Each circle gives an average of 2.3tons per circle, that is 2300kg by 400 = 920k/circle
Thank you so much for assisting with the calculations on the profitability of green house. I am not sure i could have done better. Thank you

3 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by stint(m): 8:05am On Jan 26, 2015
jethro2:

Thank you sir for this. That's where innovation comes in
Oga mi Am just a learner o. Throwing in suggestions. Please how much seed is needed for an acre.
Can you make a summary of the basic steps to take in planting tomato.
E.g
1. Acquire land
2. Create a nursery
3 make ridges/ apply fungicides etc
4 Transplant to the open field
5 Manure
6 market
7 Harvest
8 sell
It will help create a mental map of everything . This will enable identify the parts we teally dont know enough about yet

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Ayoolanairaland: 10:06am On Jan 26, 2015

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (39) (Reply)

Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures / Updated Price Of Grains And Location. / Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures*

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.