Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,544 members, 7,827,034 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:11 AM

Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? (36005 Views)

Buhari’s Military Action In Gambia Without Approval – Senator Chukwuka Utazi / Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 / UK Warns Buhari Against Military Action In Niger Delta - Vanguard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Lakeshizu(m): 8:43pm On Jan 20, 2015
berrystunn:

Has Buhari apologized for raiding Papa Awolowo’s house and seizing his passport so he couldn’t travel out of the country ??
Has Buhari apologized for throwing VP Alex Ekwueme in jail even though it was proven that Ekwueme DID NOT steal ??
What reason did Buhari have for jailing Ojukwu in 1984? Ojukwu was not in Shagari’s govt and he did not steal! ??
What reason did Buhari have for jailing honest Pa Michael Adekunle Ajasin, who did not steal as Ondo State Gov ??
Why did Buhari jail Fela Kuti in 1984? What was Fela’s crime? Singing against military govt ??

When General Muhammadu Buhari came to power, there was wide corruption in the Second Republic. A decree was passed that nobody take out or bring in foreign currency into the country. Offenders are liable to 10years in Jail. This decree was to curb money laundering by politicians and corrupt businessmen.
sourxe barcanista

FELA KUTI
Fela had performed abroad, he was paid in foreign currency in cash and had it on him on his return to Lagos. He was subsequently arrested for breaking the law and was prosecuted, found guilty and jailed.

PLEA:
There was a plea by human right groups to Head of State Buhari to "pardon" Fela, he refused because he believe that the law be served to the letter.

THE OFFENSE, GMB AND FELA:
First, there was an existing law/decree.

Secondly, Fela bringing in cash means it contradicts the law/decree, however, the money is from hard work.
Morally, he's justified! Legally, he is not.

Buhari had refused to grant pardon, because the law was broken. If he grants pardon, some section of politicians will accuse him of preferential treatment. He didn't because he believes in absolute discipline.
By law, he is justified. Morally, he is not, considering that it was Fela's sweat(my opinion). The law does not work with emotion unfortunately.

MY OPINION:
GMB should have pardoned Fela. The law should have made for exception. Buhari should have tampered justice with mercy

3 Likes

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by babadee1(m): 8:46pm On Jan 20, 2015
49cents:

MAYBE U SHOULD READ BETWEEN THE LINES OF MY STATEMENTS.....U TAG THAT CUBAN AND NORTH KOREAN ELECTIONS DEMOCRACY.....EVEN YOU LINKSM THANKS TO MY NUDGE, CONFIRMS MY POSITION

Criticism[edit]
The elections have been variously described as show elections, a type of veto election,[citation needed] or a political census.[8] Seats are uncontested (or alternatively, uncompetitive) as all candidates are chosen and won by the Democratic Front for the Reunification of the Fatherland.[3][5][7]

A voter may cross off the candidate's name to vote against him, but must do so in a special booth without any secrecy; according to many North Korean defectors, such an act of defiance is too risky to even attempt.[6]

The elections we have in Nigeria are not much better than those ones.
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by notoriousbabe: 8:47pm On Jan 20, 2015
DeCritique:

Lolz... And I come think say you dey support me. You be pro-GMB? undecided
I be pro good government free of corruption

2 Likes

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by BlackTechnology: 8:47pm On Jan 20, 2015
Seun:
From his recent Channels TV Interview:

Are you sorry for bringing to an end the Shagari government?

GMB: No, I'm not sorry, because I mentioned why we did it, and we proved our case.

That's a democratic process that could have extended.

GMB: So when you are a democracy you are entitled to steal your treasury dry, and put your people into pauperized positions, and destroy institutions, and destroy infrastructure?

So you blame Shagari for that coup?

GMB: Don't personalize. I'll blame the second republic...

For that?

GMB: For that. And when we came out we told the nation why and we conducted enquiries, documentary ones, not just hearsay.

Source:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_487PhkxUQ (start at 5:37)

So he still believes it is ok for the military to overthrow a democratic government if the democratic government is corrupt. Incidentally, many people believe that the current government is also corrupt. If the General's view is right, then a military coup in 2015 is justified...

Do you agree? undecided (I strongly disagree because dictatorship is a greater evil than corruption. You can fight corruption within democracy)

Any coup against GEJ re election will be the final straw that breaks the camel's back

We the SS SE and MB people, promise the SW people supporting the treasonable felony of coup, that we will secede from Nigeria cool

So every Yoruba supporting coup should get ready to rule themselves by military coup in Odua republic. cool

1 Like

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by spankyflex(m): 8:50pm On Jan 20, 2015
u so unstable madam@safarigal
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by MansaMoussa: 8:51pm On Jan 20, 2015
Why do we act and speak as if Democracy solves all the Problems of a Country? What do we really want as People? An all round improvement in Standard of Living or just an Avenue to bicker? The Chinese have transcended beyond US Democracy to mould a Unique system of Govt that suits her people and has successfully used this model to move from a 3rd world Country to an Advanced Country!!!

A Country's Military is her 4th Tier of Govt and the ultimate Protector of the State (not Regime please)! In a Situation where the Regime turns on its people, who comes to their Rescue? (Romania under Ceausescu, Egypt under Mubarak/Morsi, etc) indeed this role has been abused severally and lost its appeal over the years, it is still a viable option for Liberation of the Citizenry, if not, they will resolve to take Arms against the Regime themselves and Chaos will prevail (eg Libya, Yemen, Syria etc)

So YES! Massive Corruption and Govt Apathy towards her Citizen justifies an Intervention! Afterall, Foreign Govts today are planning to occupy our territory on the premise that our govt cannot protect its people, how much more the Army whose statutory role it is to protect the State and all within it!

2 Likes

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by bakila: 8:52pm On Jan 20, 2015
@Seun. The coup was justified some how. I just realised your were not born then, but then impunity has started. The emergency contractors of those days have began to flaunt their ill-gotten wealth. The election was flawed and Nigerians were thinking which way.
It is also on record that in most countries of the world there were coup d etat and most Nigerians agree st that time that the coup was timely. We need to start from somewhere, we couldn't in 83, 16 years of pdp is not enough, we need a strong democracy based on discipline, order and the rule of law.
It is painful when if the light in the house of a poor man in Cameroun goes off, he says this I'd not Nigeria, there is stench immediately you come off the plane unto MMIA, NAI airport has no properly functional toilet of its status. A soldier/police personnel collects money from motorist and has the audacity to give them change or balance.
The things are so many that we cannot list here.
A coup in 1983 cannot be a reason to hold unto gej and the pdp, for you commercial reason is an excuse.
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by RZQ3: 8:52pm On Jan 20, 2015
yes
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by evesdon4u: 8:52pm On Jan 20, 2015
akinlex:
this will surely make fp

No be Seun post am? It must make fp...
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by safarigal: 8:53pm On Jan 20, 2015
spankyflex:
u so unstable madam@safarigal
kindly elaborate, I fail to grasp your meaning
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by bakila: 8:54pm On Jan 20, 2015
Lakeshizu:

When General Muhammadu Buhari came to power, there was wide corruption in the Second Republic. A decree was passed that nobody take out or bring in foreign currency into the country. Offenders are liable to 10years in Jail. This decree was to curb money laundering by politicians and corrupt businessmen.
sourxe barcanista

FELA KUTI
Fela had performed abroad, he was paid in foreign currency in cash and had it on him on his return to Lagos. He was subsequently arrested for breaking the law and was prosecuted, found guilty and jailed.

PLEA:
There was a plea by human right groups to Head of State Buhari to "pardon" Fela, he refused because he believe that the law be served to the letter.

THE OFFENSE, GMB AND FELA:
First, there was an existing law/decree.

Secondly, Fela bringing in cash means it contradicts the law/decree, however, the money is from hard work.
Morally, he's justified! Legally, he is not.

Buhari had refused to grant pardon, because the law was broken. If he grants pardon, some section of politicians will accuse him of preferential treatment. He didn't because he believes in absolute discipline.
By law, he is justified. Morally, he is not, considering that it was Fela's sweat(my opinion). The law does not work with emotion unfortunately.

MY OPINION:
GMB should have pardoned Fela. The law should have made for exception. Buhari should have tampered justice with mercy
Oga adjust this your story small oyibo no dey pay cash anyhow.
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by stanech: 8:55pm On Jan 20, 2015
buhari is not corrupt free. if obj and tinubu can endorse him then he is as corrupt as they are.

he is also sick can't remember his phone number and a religious bigot

considering the way Islam is destroying everything they touch I will not vote an extremist as a president.

so it is gej all d way
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by 49cents(m): 8:57pm On Jan 20, 2015
Kolade354:
fu?koff you bloddy idi*t the last time i check the nigeria constituition i have the right to support who I believe will take nigeria to a greater height............silly goat.

LIKE ALL BUHARIST...........VIOLENCE IS YOUR WAY
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by BlackTechnology: 8:57pm On Jan 20, 2015
MansaMoussa:
Why do we act and speak as if Democracy solves all the Problems of a Country? What do we really want as People? An all round improvement in Standard of Living or just an Avenue to bicker? The Chinese have transcended beyond US Democracy to mould a Unique system of Govt that suits her people and has successfully used this model to move from a 3rd world Country to an Advanced Country!!!

A Country's Military is her 4th Tier of Govt and the ultimate Protector of the State (not Regime please)! In a Situation where the Regime turns on its people, who comes to their Rescue? (Romania under Ceausescu, Egypt under Mubarak/Morsi, etc) indeed this role has been abused severally and lost its appeal over the years, it is still a viable option for Liberation of the Citizenry, if not, they will resolve to take Arms against the Regime themselves and Chaos will prevail (eg Libya, Yemen, Syria etc)

So YES! Massive Corruption and Govt Apathy towards her Citizen justifies an Intervention! Afterall, Foreign Govts today are planning to occupy our territory on the premise that our govt cannot protect its people, how much more the Army whose statutory role it is to protect the State and all within it!

Thank God you SW are revealing to the world you guys secret plan to seize power through a coup d'etat

We the people of SS SE and MB will crush that coup and wipe out the coup plotters their families and punish their ethnic groups.

Mark my words.

Any coup against GEJ will be violently resisted.

This country will cease to exist cool
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Mrbigman1(m): 8:58pm On Jan 20, 2015
fkaz:
Buhari step him because they want to milk nigeria dry during shagari regime due to corruption and he is stepping in 2015 again to stop jonathan from milking nigeria dry. Thank God we have somebody like Buhari who will come to the resque, Nigeria major problem is corruption and that is one reason he sight for taking over the govt.

I will say a big YES

Hope u ve an idea that buhari contested for 199 primaries under pdp which Obj eventually won.
Now ask ur self, what was he going to rescue den? D money him and is co-hunters abacha made away with abi d one dey allowed abdulsami to ship with impunity? He'll no, buhari is only so hungry for power like his the only one born to be dia.
In 1984, he detained underage children and kept dem in custody to be persecuted at 18, and that's d way to fight corruption?
It's a shame that we re just driven by sentiment and hatred without finding real course to hold on to. I dnt support any of them but buhari can't just be to trust in

1 Like

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by 4stylz: 9:01pm On Jan 20, 2015
I can see blood and pains in these man eyes! Can you copy the body language when asked if he has forgiven his jailers?? It seems the memory is still fresh and he is ready to pay them back...Mandela was in prison for so long and came out with LOVE..
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by mikolo80: 9:02pm On Jan 20, 2015
Seun:
From his recent Channels TV Interview:

Are you sorry for bringing to an end the Shagari government?

GMB: No, I'm not sorry, because I mentioned why we did it, and we proved our case.

That's a democratic process that could have extended.

GMB: So when you are a democracy you are entitled to steal your treasury dry, and put your people into pauperized positions, and destroy institutions, and destroy infrastructure?

So you blame Shagari for that coup?

GMB: Don't personalize. I'll blame the second republic...

For that?

GMB: For that. And when we came out we told the nation why and we conducted enquiries, documentary ones, not just hearsay.

Source:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_487PhkxUQ (start at 5:37)

So he still believes it is ok for the military to overthrow a democratic government if the democratic government is corrupt. Incidentally, many people believe that the current government is also corrupt. If the General's view is right, then a military coup in 2015 is justified...

Do you agree? undecided (I strongly disagree because dictatorship is a greater evil than corruption. You can fight corruption within democracy)
Dude agreed I have a military background but its like saying xy want to challenge hitler with democracy(he won elections fair and square)
sometimes you have to take the bulk by the horns and take drastic measures
look at Korea
Singapore have been ruled by yew for almost 6 0years
don't allow oyinbo to deceive you wit sweet sounding quotes
some dictatorships are better than most democracies (highly unlikely but still...)
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by BlackTechnology: 9:02pm On Jan 20, 2015
Do you notice that most people celebrating and calling for coup are SW APC members

US prediction will come to past this year

Mrbigman1:

Hope u ve an idea that buhari contested for 199 primaries under pdp which Obj eventually won.
Now ask ur self, what was he going to rescue den? D money him and is co-hunters abacha made away with abi d one dey allowed abdulsami to ship with impunity? He'll no, buhari is only so hungry for power like his the only one born to be dia.
In 1984, he detained underage children and kept dem in custody to be persecuted at 18, and that's d way to fight corruption?
It's a shame that we re just driven by sentiment and hatred without finding real course to hold on to. I dnt support any of them but buhari can't just be to trust in
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by datribune: 9:03pm On Jan 20, 2015
ichidodo:
Trash...This propaganda will not work because Buhari's tenure saw the first devaluation of the naira....the first time Nigeria started IMPORTING FUEL...Let us leave the austerity measures, cancelled railway contracts for lagosians, rural electirification and pipe borne water systems in the south for another day...
for a second we thought you was gonna mention refineries he built in his dreams...

I feel ur pain. Ur hero's campaign is in shambles & u need to cling to any straw no matter how delusional it maybe. U can keep cancelling posts & throwing tantrums on d forum but facts will not cease to be facts.
Wit little or no achievement to point to, GEJ's strategy of using tribe & religion to divide Nigerians is no longer working. Sorry d decision has bcom very easy 4 Nigerians because they hav decided to make dis election a referendum on d performance of both men while in public office.
GEJ - tried, tested & proven to be d weakest, most corrupt & clueless leader in Nigerian history.
GMB - tried, tested & proven to be one of d greatest Nigerian leaders of all time.
Enjoy ur sycophancy while it lasts. d clueless one is on d homestrech of his inept presidency.
SAI BUHARI
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by 4stylz: 9:04pm On Jan 20, 2015
imag5:
Hmmm

I can see blood and pains in these man eyes! Can you copy the body language when asked if he has forgiven his jailers?? It seems the memory is still fresh and he is ready to pay them back...Mandela was in prison for so long and came out with LOVE..
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by spankyflex(m): 9:06pm On Jan 20, 2015
safarigal:
kindly elaborate, I fail to grasp your meaning
buhari n seun should not be used in the same sentence
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by dannjo(m): 9:07pm On Jan 20, 2015
GreatSoul:
What do you expect to hear from a military mind
that understands brute force better than 'cerebral' intelligence?

I still can't get over the fact that his preferred choice of action was
to cage Umaru Dikko rather than apply for extradition.

Beware of a man whose thinking is in reverse.

Gentleman I will advise u to carryout extensive research on nigeria-britain relationship during Buhari regime...the britain hated him becos he refuse to dance to their music due to his economic method which involve trade by barter(crude oil for goods from other countries) General Buhari used to revive the economic, thereby affecting d interest of Britain...the Britain didn't want to extradite Dikko becos he was seriously hitting on d govt from UK, so the only way was to bring him back thru any means..
P.S
in world politics states like Britain and U.S.A wud have done d same thing and other states will look d other way, dat a fact...
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by patrickmuf(m): 9:11pm On Jan 20, 2015
OgologoDimkpa:
Among all of them shouting Change in APC, tell me who is not corrupt
Tinubu is corruption personified as he has bought over Lagos.

Buhari once told us that he has just I million naira in his bank account whereas his c
hildren are gallivanting all over Europe.

I am not just comfortable with Buhari's quest to grab power at al cost.
He has an ulterior motive which no other person knows.

We'll resist him with eveything we have.
He'll never smell ASo Rock , mark my wordsad
As a formal head of state, Buhari is entitled to allowances which runs into a couple of millions, money which can take care of his children and see them school overseas...
With regards to Tinubu, if memory serves me right he is no longer the governor of Lagos state thus he no form of immunity protecting him from due investigation... Failure to bring him to book if he's really corrupt as your lots will have us believe, points to the failure of the present administration to willfully arrest the scourge that's corruption...
Concerning your fear about Buhari unending desire to lead our great (we really should be great if things were done right but it's not too late) Nation, let me take back to history, Americans were once scared of a certain Abraham Lincoln, Brazilians were once scared of a certain Lulu Da Silva etc Thus determination to lead maybe due to what he thinks he can offer to better our collective plight as a nation and that's "CHANGE" from the norm that has made nations/individuals/organizations etc question our greatness...
#ChangeSomebody
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by ichidodo: 9:13pm On Jan 20, 2015
datribune:
[s] I feel ur pain. U can keep cancelling posts & throwing tantrums on d forum but facts will not cease to be facts.
Wit little or no achievement to point to, GEJ's strategy of using tribe & religion to divide Nigerians is no longer working. Sorry d decision has bcom very easy 4 Nigerians because they hav decided to make dis election a referendum on d performance of both men while in public office.
GEJ - tried, tested & proven to be d weakest, most corrupt & clueless leader in Nigerian history.
GMB - tried, tested & proven to be one of d greatest Nigerian leaders of all time.
Enjoy ur sycophancy while it lasts. d clueless one is on d homestrech of his inept presidency.
SAI BUHARI[/s]

**yawn** You bore us with your empty diatribe so let us agree to disagree pending when you pack your bags to Somalia after GEJ's swearin in come May 29 2015..
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Nobody: 9:27pm On Jan 20, 2015
BlackTechnology:

So you SW guys are now in support of coup

Ehnnnnnnnnn

Thank God for this revelation

Haaaaaaaa

We shall resist and kill all coup plotters and their families. angry
That is what I have been saying. How Yoruba resort to violence when they lose.out politically

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by duni04(m): 9:27pm On Jan 20, 2015
[left][/left]
datribune:

Buhari's coup though unconstitutional was patriotic & even more necessary than d doctrine of necessity dat ended imminent crises & brought GEJ to power. dat coup dat ridded Nigeria of d NPN, d ancestor of d PDP, which consisted of d worst set of criminals to be found anywhere in d world is probably one of d greatest acts of patriotism by any nigerian, living or dead. d NPN crooks did not get to power thru free & fair elections, an election dat late Tai Solarin reffered to as a STOLEN PRESIDENCY & they would not leave via elections. dat coup by Buhari is to date one of d greatest acts of patriotism by any nigerian, living or dead.

The 1999, 2003, 2007 and 2011 elections were also disputed. That in no way gives any soldier the leeway to trample on the rights of millions of Nigerians by staging a coup and ursurping democratic institutions. The question as to whether the NPN was corrupt or not would have been answered at the polls and not decided by Buhari. Buhari wakes up and decides for millions of Nigerians that an administration is corrupt, and stages a coup to "rescue" them from the corrupt politicians? We shouldn't defend that kind of behaviour in the 21st century, and if he wants to be a democratically elected President of Nigeria, he should apologise for thwarting the very institution he maligned and insulted by staging the coup of '83.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Nobody: 9:27pm On Jan 20, 2015
emiye:
That was an era of coup plotting to correct failing democracy, a few years before Buhari took over in Nigeria, Jerry Rawlings plotted a coup in Ghana, killing a lot of corrupt Ghanian leaders. There was no guarantee Nigerians democracy would have been better than it is currently, infact there are several african countries that have sustained democracy for so long, and are near failed state.

I need examples for the part in bold.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Thread For Rivers State Rerun Election / Gombe Man Changes Son’s Name From Buhari To Rabiu Kwankwaso (Pic) / Femi Fani-kayode Reacts To Aisha Alhassan's Support For Atiku Over Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.