Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,232 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:10 AM

CNN Lists Nigeria as 3rd Expected Fastest Growing Economy In 2015 - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CNN Lists Nigeria as 3rd Expected Fastest Growing Economy In 2015 (36121 Views)

Emefiele To Senate: Nigeria’s Economy In Deep Crisis / Today, Our Country Has The Fastest Growing Economy In Africa — Buhari / Don’t Vote For Jonathan, Soyinka Lists Reasons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CNN Lists Nigeria as 3rd Expected Fastest Growing Economy In 2015 by 100Cents: 2:27pm On Jan 23, 2015
dadaic:

You shouldn't believe everything you hear from the media. It's the fastest growing, not yet grown. Just a speculation. Abi you no see the english inside. ing.... HAS so many meanings.. It's either a happening or a supposedly happening thing. And in our case, it hasn't happened, they visioned it, so lets wait and see. Cos you and I know nothing is happening yet.

I read someone say investors will come in. Yes, true. Investors will come in, but they are coming in because they believe the system is corrupt and they won't need to pay such tax as they do in their countries. Which is why we have google now, we have microsoft, and so many more because they know they can beat the tax system.

This area f taxation is a very big waste pipe in Nigeria.

The very biggest companies in Nigeria evade taxes and the Federal govt offers over incentives in form of tax leave to invite these companies who already know that coming to Nigeria is big gain.

I don't want to call names..
Re: CNN Lists Nigeria as 3rd Expected Fastest Growing Economy In 2015 by babadee1(m): 2:28pm On Jan 23, 2015
The projected 7% economic growth only matters to foreign investors. It means nothing to the average Nigerian on the street and will not translate into real economic gains until the government does something about the rising rate of poverty. Nigeria has no real middle class, a few are rich and most are poor. Lifting people out of poverty should be the focus of the government.

1 Like

Re: CNN Lists Nigeria as 3rd Expected Fastest Growing Economy In 2015 by okych16(m): 2:31pm On Jan 23, 2015
[quote
author=awodman post=30054750]

Don't be shy,go straight to the point...GEJ has nothing to do with our
economy experiencing fast economic growth right? The economy is on
auto-pilot abi
[/quote]
hahahahhahahahah... una no go kill me here...ask am oh.

1 Like

Re: CNN Lists Nigeria as 3rd Expected Fastest Growing Economy In 2015 by chidi01(m): 2:37pm On Jan 23, 2015
The world recognised the growth of our economy because indeed it is growing how and why are we not seeing it locally? this is because the present government is actually facing and working on areas of the economy that drives the overall growth of an economy. But then things don't just happen overnight, cannot start reaping the benefits immediately.
Freedom of speech, the automotive policy, transportation, agriculture, education, power, roads. We must have heard or seen how this government's input in all of them. As we can also see cars are now being manufacturerd or assembled in Nigeria, our trains are back again, in fact so many countries are coming to Nigeria to establish business in spite of the insurgency.

What is there is this with all this now in place the jobs will start growing, living standards will improve, but it can't happen overnight no government will do it overnight. Sometimes things become very bad before becoming better. Nigeria's economy is growing and very soon the common man will begin to feel it.

1 Like

Re: CNN Lists Nigeria as 3rd Expected Fastest Growing Economy In 2015 by Akon419(m): 2:37pm On Jan 23, 2015
babadee1:
The projected 7% economic growth only matters to foreign investors. It means nothing to the average Nigerian on the street and will not translate into real economic gains until the government does something about the rising rate of poverty. Nigeria has no real middle class, a few are rich and most are poor. Lifting people out of poverty should be the focus of the government.
is like that in every country. Even in America which has the largest economy, there ar still some poor among them. You are poor does not mean every Nigerian is poor. Take advantage of the growing economy and start something for ur self instead of talking trash

1 Like

Re: CNN Lists Nigeria as 3rd Expected Fastest Growing Economy In 2015 by Nobody: 2:37pm On Jan 23, 2015
vatoslocos:
Did we just start to experience economic growth? Are we even experiencing economic growth or more of jobless growth? Has the economic growth translated into poverty reduction?

Yes. I AM A WITNESS TO IT.
EVEN IF I DO NOT HAVE GOVERNMENT JOB, I HAVE SOMETHING AS A RESULT OF GOVERNMENT POLICY.

2 Likes

Re: CNN Lists Nigeria as 3rd Expected Fastest Growing Economy In 2015 by 100Cents: 2:38pm On Jan 23, 2015
sammyj:
GDP which is not being enjoyed or felt by the good people of Nigerian. How do quantify GDP, by speculations or propaganda, and by the way its not what the clueless one did that brought about this report but by the size of the country with respect to man power and not the TANist agenda that brought about this report. PDP have failed us and change is the only way out!!!! vote for change vote GMB by clicking like button!!!

You have no likes here after how many hours

Nigeria cannot grow based on lies. APC was founded on lies and dissatisfaction. Every bad political news about arson or killing has APC name on it. Stoning the Presidents convoy is a new comer, thanks to APC.. I am sure if it were Buhari, he will order his army boys to shoot at sight anybody who stones his convoy.

How do you expect Buhari at 73years old and without certificate to come and rule us ? It is very unfair what you youths want to do to yourself. GEJ is industrializing this country gradually more than any other former leader. He is bringing back agriculture, rails, car manufacturing to mention a few.

And these are the pivots of the economy.

2 Likes

Re: CNN Lists Nigeria as 3rd Expected Fastest Growing Economy In 2015 by Oriafo123: 2:38pm On Jan 23, 2015
awodman:

Economic growth sends positive message to investors who'll have confidence to invest in the country leading to Jobs which will ultimately put food on ur table
it is still speculations not guarantee and moreover economic growth doesn't ensure economic development in d case of Nigeria where d vicious circle is predominant and investors r protected more dan d consumers by d govt.
Re: CNN Lists Nigeria as 3rd Expected Fastest Growing Economy In 2015 by AJOT99(m): 2:39pm On Jan 23, 2015
Where are Buhari's supporters?

1 Like

Re: CNN Lists Nigeria as 3rd Expected Fastest Growing Economy In 2015 by uokocha70(m): 2:40pm On Jan 23, 2015
milychocs:

Cool
But really, this has nothing to with politics...starting the NHIS is absolutely rubbish without coverage and implementation
Nigeria is really good at setting up things....to follow the global trend...but will never see it through...meanwhile money will exchange hands/accounts

I need to chill from thinking about the problem of the Nigerian health sector!
It is just hard, considering
Excuse the rant
Cheers

Well, I have and use health insurance in Nigeria. I have been using it since 2008. My wife uses also, as a matter of fact she just gave birth on the 20th and I did not have to pay a dime because of her insurance. I am about to register the baby for insurance too. So that is working now really.

2 Likes

Re: CNN Lists Nigeria as 3rd Expected Fastest Growing Economy In 2015 by Ijaya123: 2:41pm On Jan 23, 2015
CNN has foreseen a change in government come May 29th, hence the positive forecast. The wind of change is blowing.
Re: CNN Lists Nigeria as 3rd Expected Fastest Growing Economy In 2015 by ElFenomeno1: 2:41pm On Jan 23, 2015
With GEJ in charge .... It is bullcrap!
Re: CNN Lists Nigeria as 3rd Expected Fastest Growing Economy In 2015 by David0(m): 2:42pm On Jan 23, 2015
CyberWolf:
Only hypocrites don't know that Nigetia is progressing..
Progressing for paper u mean?
Re: CNN Lists Nigeria as 3rd Expected Fastest Growing Economy In 2015 by Nobody: 2:43pm On Jan 23, 2015
And some eediots will want you to believe GEJ messed up Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: CNN Lists Nigeria as 3rd Expected Fastest Growing Economy In 2015 by samxylino(m): 2:52pm On Jan 23, 2015
I can nev trust DAT America CNN...
dey just trying everything to make destroy buhari and get d clueless fool into DAT position again...

America knows what's at stake if buhari wins DAT election...(Boko Haram wud b defeated)....de don't want DAT to happen... de want d clueless fool again...jona won't b able to handle boko......dey just wanna send their fucking troops to Nigeria......

I hope what de did in Iraq won't b repeat in Nigeria ..

dis piece of shit z a plan....
Re: CNN Lists Nigeria as 3rd Expected Fastest Growing Economy In 2015 by Eluwilussit(m): 2:54pm On Jan 23, 2015
M
Flets:
The tripod policy of GEJ holds a very great future for Nigeria.

Its a no-brainer that the agricultural, automobile and oil&gas downstream policies under GEJ spells abundance for Nigeria. 

Key examples for a layman

1. If all we did was feed ourselves without import in a year, the agricultural market in Nigeria is worth approx 20 trillion naira per annum assuming 300 naira per day for 170 million Nigerians for 365 days

2. The oil and gas downstream can employ the same number of people currently employed by the upstream. We can have refineries littered all over communties by the private sector in just two years at the removal of subsidy in Jun 2015. This industry will double Nigerians middle class which is the bane of the economy

3. With 5 car assembly plants nearing completion and another 5 to be completed this year. With the Target by FG to have the companies start car parts manufacture in 2017, Nigeria will be the soul of manufacture in Africa shortly and no engineer in Nigeria will be unemployed

4. Imagine if we save the foreign exchange used in importing food products, cars and refined crude oil products.... this will greatly improve our foreign exchange. A dollar could easily equal 70 naira or less by the time we are self sufficient in these three main sectors.

This is the future of Nigeria staring us right in the face and yet some people are screaming change. Change from what to what?

We cant afford to lose these gains. NO, NEVER!!, Unless God has given up on Nigeria. GEJ is a man of the future, shallow minds dont understand his policies.

Good analysis. God bless you and make you part of this promising future. May God deny all those who deny all the good works of president Jonathan, the opportunity to be part of this great future. Amen

3 Likes

Re: CNN Lists Nigeria as 3rd Expected Fastest Growing Economy In 2015 by chidi01(m): 3:02pm On Jan 23, 2015
uokocha70:
Modified:
This made front page, so let's talk now.
It is very good for the economy to grow. However talk is cheap. We don't want all these paper stuff. Is it too much to ask for tangible things?
Example:
1. Building a system that ensures teachers’ salaries are never delayed at all levels; Primary to tertiary.
2. Building infrastructure. This is the one we feel every day, and the one that gives governments their highest ratings.
3. Solving all these issues with incessant strikes, which is currently at its highest with this government. Government hospitals are on strike, and the judiciary is also on strike.
4. Giving us a clear blue print of where you are heading in the next 4 years. Not when things happen by chance you quickly claim it and when bad happens, you blame it on your enemies and distractors.

Are these too much to ask?

Yes CNN thinks our economy will grow in 2015, which is good. What we now want is what this government is planning to do to drive that growth. Where the heck is their manifesto?

uokocha70

Yes our economy is growing, cos I see the present government policies are in the right direction, all of it. And if sustained, it's just a matter of time before the common man begins to feel it too.

We have been hearing promises for a long time now, but but seeing some of these promises come to pass brings hope. There are positives in agriculture, rail transport, education, roads, the automotive industry, as for power very good also, but just like when GSM was introduced, power will take a little more to stabilize. But privatizing it was successful. Rome was not built in a day. And there is no gain without pain. These are the things that drives the overall growth of an economy and this government has tried to improve them. So it is just a matter of time before we start enjoying their benefits. Had other government done the much that this present government has done, we will be far above where we are today. Insurgency and corruption, GEJ has tried. If he leaves now, let the next government continue with the good from his government and leave the bad. But if he continues, he should consolidate on them, not the corruption aspect of.

1 Like

Re: CNN Lists Nigeria as 3rd Expected Fastest Growing Economy In 2015 by Shadydamsel(f): 3:07pm On Jan 23, 2015
Ofcourse Nigeria will grow coz we are populated.
Re: CNN Lists Nigeria as 3rd Expected Fastest Growing Economy In 2015 by nd07(m): 3:08pm On Jan 23, 2015
Gentle Men, I want to invest in non-oil mineral export from Nigeria. Ds will help a lot in bringing up d economy my dear nation. i have registered with NEPC but my challenge is how to start or sourcing. i want to start small first & then grow in it. please any one with a helping idea of how to go in. d research i made online showed me we have some deposits of minerals in some states of Nigeria. right now i reside in kano. please i need your ideas.javascript:void(0);
Re: CNN Lists Nigeria as 3rd Expected Fastest Growing Economy In 2015 by Athanatos(m): 3:08pm On Jan 23, 2015
Paulchris:
I don't trust CNN again,their lies don dey too much
If dem talk say we be worst economy,you go kuku believe am abi?

Nigerians sef.

My 2 kobo abeg.

1 Like

Re: CNN Lists Nigeria as 3rd Expected Fastest Growing Economy In 2015 by Shaw007(m): 3:11pm On Jan 23, 2015
hazyfm1:
hahahahaha
laughing in chinese
IMAGINE! EVEN ISIS 2[size=4pt]ND[/size] HEAD OFFICE (IRAQ) IS 4TH ON THIS LIST

[size=18pt]Nigeria! Always growing on paper but in reality? The nation is a joke! A failing state.[/size]
this Nation is a JOKE!!
This is normal, with the kind of revenue we have, Nigeria will always be fast growing, even faster than this. all things being equal, its independent of the fact that one person is ruling
So if you're telling me that one person should win come feb because of this, you must think I'm
mad!
Re: CNN Lists Nigeria as 3rd Expected Fastest Growing Economy In 2015 by MabraO: 3:12pm On Jan 23, 2015
PDP re always quick to castigate anything CNN reports about Nigeria. Am surprised they all in support of them now that they reporting that Nigeria is d 3rd fasted growing economy

Bunch if hypocrites.
Even with this GEJ is not d cause of this fastest growing whatever
Nigeria is growing but the people re going poorer.
Re: CNN Lists Nigeria as 3rd Expected Fastest Growing Economy In 2015 by OLADD: 3:13pm On Jan 23, 2015
uokocha70:
Modified:
This made front page, so let's talk now.
It is very good for the economy to grow. However talk is cheap. We don't want all these paper stuff. Is it too much to ask for tangible things?
Example:
1. Building a system that ensures teachers’ salaries are never delayed at all levels; Primary to tertiary.
2. Building infrastructure. This is the one we feel every day, and the one that gives governments their highest ratings.
3. Solving all these issues with incessant strikes, which is currently at its highest with this government. Government hospitals are on strike, and the judiciary is also on strike.
4. Giving us a clear blue print of where you are heading in the next 4 years. Not when things happen by chance you quickly claim it and when bad happens, you blame it on your enemies and distractors.

Are these too much to ask?

Yes CNN thinks our economy will grow in 2015, which is good. What we now want is what this government is planning to do to drive that growth. Where the heck is their manifesto?

uokocha70

My little knowledge of economics tells me that the major parameters for measuring a growing economy includes human capital and infrastructural development. Sentiment aside, I do not think there's any rational thinking Nigerian who will play down the unrelenting efforts of Jonathan's administration in these regards. For more clarity, the Jonathan's govt has done lot in the following areas:

1.Establishment of new universities most especially in educationally backward northern states and construction of almajiri schools.
2. Construction and rehabilitation of new and existing roads
3. Revamping of the hitherto comatose rail sector for easy transportation of human and farm produce.
4. Rehabilitation and construction of old and new airports.This will obviously enhance cargo transportation.
5. Diversification from our mono-product dependent economy to a less volatile agric and agro related sector.
6. Massive investment in Electricity. This will no doubt catalyse a gigantic leap toward the country's all-around economic growth.
So, with above indices, CNN could not have been wrong in their assessment and ratings. With improved security, I think the sky is the limit for Nigeria's match to a 1st-world country. That's why it's expedient to allow Jonathan consolidate on his transformation programmes.

2 Likes

Re: CNN Lists Nigeria as 3rd Expected Fastest Growing Economy In 2015 by boujaye: 3:17pm On Jan 23, 2015
hazyfm1:
hahahahaha
laughing in chinese
IMAGINE! EVEN ISIS 2[size=4pt]ND[/size] HEAD OFFICE (IRAQ) IS 4TH ON THIS LIST

[size=18pt]Nigeria! Always growing on paper but in reality? The nation is a joke! A failing state.[/size]

My friend you don't understand what economic growth is all about... simply put this way - like in the building of a solid house, GEJ is putting up a strong foundation, strong pillars so that when the house is completed, even near completion, its beauty will begin to speak. As the work continue to progress, everyman, i mean the common man will grossly begin to feel the impact...

GEJ I salute
Re: CNN Lists Nigeria as 3rd Expected Fastest Growing Economy In 2015 by chidi01(m): 3:19pm On Jan 23, 2015
Flets:
The tripod policy of GEJ holds a very great future for Nigeria.

Its a no-brainer that the agricultural, automobile and oil&gas downstream policies under GEJ spells abundance for Nigeria. 

Key examples for a layman

1. If all we did was feed ourselves without import in a year, the agricultural market in Nigeria is worth approx 20 trillion naira per annum assuming 300 naira per day for 170 million Nigerians for 365 days

2. The oil and gas downstream can employ the same number of people currently employed by the upstream. We can have refineries littered all over communties by the private sector in just two years at the removal of subsidy in Jun 2015. This industry will double Nigerians middle class which is the bane of the economy

3. With 5 car assembly plants nearing completion and another 5 to be completed this year. With the Target by FG to have the companies start car parts manufacture in 2017, Nigeria will be the soul of manufacture in Africa shortly and no engineer in Nigeria will be unemployed

4. Imagine if we save the foreign exchange used in importing food products, cars and refined crude oil products.... this will greatly improve our foreign exchange. A dollar could easily equal 70 naira or less by the time we are self sufficient in these three main sectors.

This is the future of Nigeria staring us right in the face and yet some people are screaming change. Change from what to what?

We cant afford to lose these gains. NO, NEVER!!, Unless God has given up on Nigeria. GEJ is a man of the future, shallow minds dont understand his policies.

I love your analysis. The problem with Nigerians is that they fail to realize that Rome was not built in a day and that there is no gain without pain. They expected things to turn around overnight not taking into account that it takes time to build a sustainable structure. I was wondering where we would have been had it been past government did as much as he has done. He is really a man for the future, but Nigerians want change, and I ask to what?
Re: CNN Lists Nigeria as 3rd Expected Fastest Growing Economy In 2015 by hazyfm1: 3:22pm On Jan 23, 2015
boujaye:

My friend you don't understand what economic growth is all about... simply put this way - like in the building of a solid house, GEJ is putting up a strong foundation, strong pillars so that when the house is completed, even near completion, its beauty will begin to speak. As the work continue to progress, everyman, i mean the common man will grossly begin to feel the impact...

GEJ I salute

There is a big difference between Ecomomic Growth and Economic Development
and FYI I'm also an Economist
Re: CNN Lists Nigeria as 3rd Expected Fastest Growing Economy In 2015 by pharoahs(m): 3:27pm On Jan 23, 2015
acenazt:
O.P na economic growth man pikin wan chop??

Pls read d response just above u and learn
Re: CNN Lists Nigeria as 3rd Expected Fastest Growing Economy In 2015 by Nobody: 3:34pm On Jan 23, 2015
vatoslocos:
Is it not an irony that poverty stricken Bangladesh and war torn Iraq are also considered as fast glowing economies, meanwhile many in both countries and Nigeria are swimming in a vast ocean of poverty. A paradox
the economy is growing quite alright but, as with many developing capitalist economies,the wealth is concentrated in the hands of a minority .Gej is doing well enough to develope the economy but,he hasn't done much in ensuring uniform distribution of our common wealth-apart from increasing minimum wages.
Re: CNN Lists Nigeria as 3rd Expected Fastest Growing Economy In 2015 by millionaireman: 3:36pm On Jan 23, 2015
Lol!!
Even if Jonathan-led govt paves all the streets of Nigeria with gold, brings food to the table of every family in Nigeria, those who want Jonathan out for Buhari cannot acknowledge these accomplishments.

People that want Jonathan out for Buhari have parochial objectives in mind, private and group agendas - other than good of Nigeria.
Re: CNN Lists Nigeria as 3rd Expected Fastest Growing Economy In 2015 by Adelebadmos(m): 3:38pm On Jan 23, 2015
grin grin grin

Laudable indeed. Afterall, the other countried behind Naija all failed to pay atleast 80% of their workkforc while Naija could have only hardly 60% of working citizens hungry due to oil proce slump in the last quarter of 2014 haing sold the oil 25% in excess of the benchmark for the first 3 quarters of 2014.
Aeast Naija has an account named Excess Crude Oil Account for the surplus from crude oil proceeds though suddednly got empty immediately the oil entered it glot while others Do NOT HAVE A SUPLUS account at all!!!
All well said, Naija CHANGE NOW as FeBuhari 14th cannot and CAN NEVER be postponed. It is 22days to go!!!!

Sai Buhari!
Sai Osinbajo!!
FeBuhari 14!!!!
Re: CNN Lists Nigeria as 3rd Expected Fastest Growing Economy In 2015 by Tats(m): 3:38pm On Jan 23, 2015
ceejayluv:

But the General is only hammering on "kwarrapshun" as the sole aim to battling...

So, if a minister does well, commend the minister. If otherwise, condemn the president?? .. go check your temperature.

Corruption is the bane of our society and you should know that. Why have an EFCC and waste public funds if it is doing nothing? I don't care whether Buhari calls it corruption or kwarrapshun, i only care about whether an individual is willing to stamp it out. He ruled this country for a period in 1984 and 1985 and should know what needs to change, even if there were many controversies surrounding his rule. It will take someone with guts to change this country. What do you expect in a country where many people only care about their selfish interest. If corruption continues and oil prices stay low, life is only going to get worse for the average man as there will now be so little left to develop the country after those in power have finished stealing budget funds.

If a minister does well, commend the minister and then say the Government of XYZ is doing well in the particular area. Doing well in one or a few areas of the economy is hardly enough. If you do well in 4 subjects of 8 in final exams in secondary school, would that get you into a University?

On a general note, its high time we all started looking at who can get us out of the perpetual mess we have been in and get our economy moving properly and not on paper. We need to get beyond tribal, religious, language, regional and other sentiments in other to move forward.
Re: CNN Lists Nigeria as 3rd Expected Fastest Growing Economy In 2015 by PlutoLA(m): 3:38pm On Jan 23, 2015
Lol these GEJ supporters sef. They said we have the 3rd EXPECTED fastest growing economy. The key word is expected; we aren't there yet. If the right government isn't in place this expectation will come to absolutely nothing! So dont start using this as a point for GEJ

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Buhari Leaves For Addis Ababa For AU Meeting (Photos) / Ministerial List: New Ministries May Be Created – Gbajabiamila / INEC Postpones Announcement Of Results In Edo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.