Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,891 members, 7,817,621 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:41 PM

Top 10 Misconceptions About The Yoruba Tribe - Culture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Top 10 Misconceptions About The Yoruba Tribe (55324 Views)

Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced (Photos) / Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa / 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About The Yoruba Tribe by Neplusultra(f): 10:30pm On Feb 05, 2015
Typical of Igbo/yoruba thread :DD way pple are emphasising on dis dirtiness tin sef, I don laff tire! grin grin
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About The Yoruba Tribe by Olufemiolaolu(m): 10:31pm On Feb 05, 2015
Goahead:
Yoruba people naturally does not build they own home rather; they choose to live in the one their for fathers build for them... Which are merely kpako.
Clueless pigeonholing. Updated ur brain asap
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About The Yoruba Tribe by Neplusultra(f): 10:31pm On Feb 05, 2015
paulavon:

How many nobel laureates do the Yorubas have?Number of professors is not an indicator of intelligence,it might be easier to become a professor in the west than other regions.if you match a first class graduate from the west and that of the south-south that is when you know real intelligence.

Being a coward has nothing to do with fight,nobody is asking the yorubas to fight for them. A typical yoruba from Lagos or Ibadan,when he travels to a place like warri or port-harcourt,you see him being so uncomfortable,always suspecting everyone and looking above his shoulders.He only feel safe when he is around fellow yorubas.

Respect does not have to be selective,if you have it in you,it should flow.

Another misconception is that they are accomodating,that is not true.most landlords in lagos do not rent houses to non-yorubas.My friend and I had the same experience.Also Most of the people don't want to gist with you,they are even angry with you for not been able to speak their language.They assume everyone should be able to speak it.
Wa gbayi!
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About The Yoruba Tribe by ammyluv2002(f): 10:36pm On Feb 05, 2015
Olufemiolaolu:
And u re neat right? Ur hair sef get cobweb grin
Ok...I hear grin
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About The Yoruba Tribe by Goahead(m): 10:49pm On Feb 05, 2015
Olufemiolaolu:
Clueless pigeonholing. Updatedur brain asap
You're the one that needs brain surgery...
hopeless ode
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About The Yoruba Tribe by Nobody: 10:50pm On Feb 05, 2015
BOWOTO:
you must be dirty for knowing dirty people.
Neat ones easily spot out dirty ones.. If she's also dirty like u suggested, how will she know or call another person dirty?
Na wah for ur comment sha

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About The Yoruba Tribe by ezelous: 10:51pm On Feb 05, 2015
Kai, you need to see how the drivers and conductors insult their fore fathers!

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About The Yoruba Tribe by ribbit: 10:53pm On Feb 05, 2015
IceSplash:
most yoruba people i knw are dirty and loud
and you are dumb .. a reflection of which ever nasty tribe you come from.
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About The Yoruba Tribe by peeJ1: 10:56pm On Feb 05, 2015
yorubas have high IQ..lols story for the gods..passing six is not passing sense

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About The Yoruba Tribe by emekaD3(m): 10:56pm On Feb 05, 2015
Lol yoruba people use too much palm oil in soup grin grin

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About The Yoruba Tribe by Nobody: 10:56pm On Feb 05, 2015
Lagunna:

Wetin be onyemgbu?

No be only onyemgbu, u go soon see onyeka onwenu grin
Hahahhahahaha crazy dude.
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About The Yoruba Tribe by Neplusultra(f): 10:57pm On Feb 05, 2015
peeJ1:
yorubas have high IQ..lols story for the gods..passing six is not passing sense
Hahahahaha!!!!
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About The Yoruba Tribe by peeJ1: 10:59pm On Feb 05, 2015
Neplusultra:
Typical of Igbo/yoruba thread :DD way pple are emphasising on dis dirtiness tin sef, I don laff tire! grin grin

dirtiness seems to be yoruba culture
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About The Yoruba Tribe by blakky97(m): 11:00pm On Feb 05, 2015
martineverest:
Yoruba re dirty,dey are not brave,dey no dey shame to beg and cant cook......i dont like generalising,but my xperience with yoruba ppl during nysc service(ibadan) and at school(uniben) just made me conlude on dose.
However,yoruba ppl are polite,united, cooperative and least sentimental in national issue....ibadan women re beautiful(black beauty) and curvy
the positive side of yoruba ppl are actually d negative side of my tribe (edo).edo re generally rude and proud espescially benin
my exact experience.
theyre so respectful that I wish to settle in the west.
their old women are nice.
unlike edo women that are rude and aggressive.
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About The Yoruba Tribe by Senjuchiha: 11:05pm On Feb 05, 2015
Dy luv 2 decorate tngs esp dia cars
dy r 2 damn intelligent
dy r vewi vewi dirty n sturbborn
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About The Yoruba Tribe by blakky97(m): 11:10pm On Feb 05, 2015
freeman191:

Source: [url]top10ng.com/top-10-misconceptions-yoruba-tribe/[/url]
damn it!
dont try those ijebu and ago iwoye ppl
I served there.
What I saw!
I had 1000naira note and 70 naira
I took a taxi from ijebu igbo to ago iwoye
the fare is 80 naira
the man didnt accept the 70 box
instead we got to the car park. he moved from store to store looking for change. at last he took 10 naira tom tom from one seller and offered her the 1000naira.
I was shocked beyond words.
many other incidences though.
their beggars look like mad ppl.
some beggars ive seen in benin and lagos have gold chains, bank accounts and some extra change.

3 Likes

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About The Yoruba Tribe by Nobody: 11:12pm On Feb 05, 2015
The people who invented English could not spell Yoruba so they decided to use the word "Dirty"

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About The Yoruba Tribe by Senjuchiha: 11:15pm On Feb 05, 2015
N boy,r dy uuuuuuuuggggggly
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About The Yoruba Tribe by Nobody: 11:19pm On Feb 05, 2015
We work together
notoriousbabe:
ashewo ole. See as your body and mouth odur fill my compound. Even your toto dey smell reach here
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About The Yoruba Tribe by Ladybluecash(f): 11:20pm On Feb 05, 2015
Yoruba pple r alwz openin dia mouth sayin ahh ahh ahh lik ds shocked
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About The Yoruba Tribe by Ranchhoddas: 11:21pm On Feb 05, 2015
ammyluv2002:
Agreed but that Yoruba are dirty lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About The Yoruba Tribe by Ranchhoddas: 11:22pm On Feb 05, 2015
ammyluv2002:
Agreed but that Yoruba are dirty lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
don't be foolish!
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About The Yoruba Tribe by ammyluv2002(f): 11:23pm On Feb 05, 2015
Ranchhoddas:
don't be foolish!
Hisssssssssss undecided undecided undecided
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About The Yoruba Tribe by docsholz(m): 11:26pm On Feb 05, 2015
Threads like this further reassure me of the mistake called Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About The Yoruba Tribe by Senjuchiha: 11:34pm On Feb 05, 2015
notoriousbabe:
see gorilla dey talk,wetin happen to your bweast wey come flat like slippers?won ti mu gbe,ashewo oniranu
...e flat lyk choppin board
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About The Yoruba Tribe by jaylorde(m): 11:34pm On Feb 05, 2015
IceSplash:
most yoruba people i knw are dirty and loud
make I hear word, wen u wnt move with correct ppl nko
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About The Yoruba Tribe by thecommunist(m): 11:37pm On Feb 05, 2015
paulavon:

How many nobel laureates do the Yorubas have?Number of professors is not an indicator of intelligence,it might be easier to become a professor in the west than other regions.if you match a first class graduate from the west and that of the south-south that is when you know real intelligence.

Being a coward has nothing to do with fight,nobody is asking the yorubas to fight for them. A typical yoruba from Lagos or Ibadan,when he travels to a place like warri or port-harcourt,you see him being so uncomfortable,always suspecting everyone and looking above his shoulders.He only feel safe when he is around fellow yorubas.

Respect does not have to be selective,if you have it in you,it should flow.

Another misconception is that they are accomodating,that is not true.most landlords in lagos do not rent houses to non-yorubas.My friend and I had the same experience.Also Most of the people don't want to gist with you,they are even angry with you for not been able to speak their language.They assume everyone should be able to speak it.
The whole of Nigeria has only a single nobel laureate, and that is found among the yorubas, so please stop being ignorant. And about the number of professors not being indicators of intelligence, it is noteworthy that most yoruba professors became professors before most universities in Nigeria ever dreamt of offering post graduate programs..meaning that they became professor outside Nigeria, so please stop inferring that it may be easier to become a professor in south western universities,or that being a professor is not an indicator of intelligence. (una wan dey drag intelligence with us again? afterall we no deny nor drag business acumen with the ibos neither did we drag cattle rearing with the hausas).
Moreover, we all have an ideas of what it takes to be a professor in the south south . GEJ is a PHD holder and his anecdotes speaks volumes(and that is the perquisite for being a professor) so i can imagine how professors from south south will be like.
Furthermore, you say a typical yoruba man is a coward because he is never comfortable and always looks over his shoulders when he is outside the southwest, well, you need to get some education yourself because what you just described is called being cautious or suspicious or mistrusting not cowardice...and you should ask yourself why is the yoruba man always cautious and suspicious of you? the answer is because you are not trustworthy!
"Respect does not have to be selective" you say? how convenient of you to say! instead of teaching and correcting your youngsters you are here demanding respect from a people whose elders you are not ready to respect. na wah for you o.

8 Likes

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About The Yoruba Tribe by Bimboscoo: 11:52pm On Feb 05, 2015
Going through your submissions, only one thing came to mind. This is a misconception of a particular tribe about the yoruba people and not a fact. For some of us that have being privy to see what other parts of the country offers in terms of your submissions, there are far worst situations otherside of the southwest. Its's simply a function of seeing to believe. Take a trip far east or up north to change your view. We all have our shortcomings and selling points. My view.

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About The Yoruba Tribe by ishar(f): 11:53pm On Feb 05, 2015
freeman191:

Source: [url]top10ng.com/top-10-misconceptions-yoruba-tribe/[/url]
Yorubas are lousy. I hear that alot too which is not all that true because i have yoruba friends that aint lousy . I am not yoruba but i think the idea of generalization isnt a cool thing. Naaaaaa.... not cool. But at the same time people belive these about the yorubas because majority actually do all these but time is changing and EVERY BODY CANNOT BE THE SAME. Address a person base on who he is as an individual and not as part of a group of people.

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About The Yoruba Tribe by thecommunist(m): 11:54pm On Feb 05, 2015
Ladybluecash:
Yoruba pple r alwz openin dia mouth sayin ahh ahh ahh lik ds shocked
looool grin

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About The Yoruba Tribe by Senjuchiha: 11:55pm On Feb 05, 2015
If it is 4 stinginess,cunning n crafty lyfstyles,dirty personal hygiene(mouth odour n body odour),dullness,dishonesty,lying,insults,bragging,boyfriend /gf snatching,lust of money, blood money,dn,my igbo brethren r num 1 in nigeria....dy cn sell dia family 4 moni n d dae dt dy wld rule 9ja...hmmm,dm go sell us witout us even noticing it.....igbo kwenu!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About The Yoruba Tribe by Nicepoker(m): 12:00am On Feb 06, 2015
Lock up op. A lot of them are so so dirty. So lousy, their food is rubbish. Let me stop here cos some one may be working on me getting baned.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply)

Ooni Ogunwusi Performs Ritual Rites Before Entering Ado-Ekiti (Photos) / Alaafin Of Oyo Wears Historic Crown Made Centuries Ago For The First Time.Photos / 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.