Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,662 members, 7,813,227 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:57 AM

Guys, Can You Get Married To A Lady From A Broken Home?(separated Or Divorced). - Family (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Guys, Can You Get Married To A Lady From A Broken Home?(separated Or Divorced). (36705 Views)

Zimbabwean Woman Married To Another Woman For 3 Years Just Found Out (pic) / Nigerian Couple Reconcile 31 Years After They Divorced / Separated From My Husband And He Is Keeping My Children From Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Guys, Can You Get Married To A Lady From A Broken Home?(separated Or Divorced). by Sparklesebony: 9:22am On Sep 25, 2015
LaChicabonita:
The tragedy of broken home prejudice is that it often keeps other people from realizing the true potentials of offsprings from such homes. I'm a 'product' of such a home, it is a tough nut to crack, but I'm NOT broken! Thanks to those who have shared their opinions without a stereotypical mindset. May you all continue to grow in wisdom!

For those who, based on one or two experience(s), are now of the opinion that "most" or "all" products of broken homes will inevitably turn out to be 'damaged,' I recommend that you have repeated exposure to individuals within this stereotyped group so there'll be a reduction in prejudice. Because I've heard it said that prejudice is just another word for ignorance so if you must overcome this uninformed 'ignorance' then you must work to become aware of it.

2 Likes

Re: Guys, Can You Get Married To A Lady From A Broken Home?(separated Or Divorced). by Cestmoi1(f): 9:36am On Sep 25, 2015
Hmmmm,what of those who grew up with their grandparents?
Re: Guys, Can You Get Married To A Lady From A Broken Home?(separated Or Divorced). by sorextee(m): 9:43am On Sep 25, 2015
I grew up with dad..

irishCream:

You grew up with your mum or dad?
Re: Guys, Can You Get Married To A Lady From A Broken Home?(separated Or Divorced). by ejeh121(f): 9:44am On Sep 25, 2015
sonofananimal1:
let me ask you a question,

Where you raise by your mom or your dad?
my mum raised me since I was a minor and needed to be with her my elder ones was with pa and pa always came around to see me.
Re: Guys, Can You Get Married To A Lady From A Broken Home?(separated Or Divorced). by yetseyi(f): 9:52am On Sep 25, 2015
autaspakladi:
There is no need for too much argument here...the lady am dating now is a product of a broken family, initially I was having it in my mind to marry her,but now I have changed my mind,because she cannot cook,the only food she can cook is indomie,and even when she finished cooking she will want to leave the pot and plate for me to wash,except if remaind her,in addition to that,she is very poor hygienically,she doesn't removed her shoe if she wants to enter my kitchen....she is also an incurable liar,....those of you claiming there is nothing wrong with ladies from broken family should rethink...

Lool are you saying she has bad hygiene, cant cook and lies because she comes from a broken home?

1 Like

Re: Guys, Can You Get Married To A Lady From A Broken Home?(separated Or Divorced). by yetseyi(f): 10:11am On Sep 25, 2015
cc150615:

Well I need to answer you cause I'm really baffled at ur line of judgement...so you're concluding dt this girl is like this cos she's from a broken home..I'm sure if she was a spoilt Senator's daughter spoiling u with money nd had ds same xtics u won't complain o...And are u trying to say dr are no people from 'together' homes who can't do house chores I tell u dr are a gazillion of dem so you just can't tie her not been homely to being from a broken home.

But seriously this thread has made me really know how shallow a lotta ppl think...offcos I'm not saying broken homes can't have psychological or emotional effects on kids..but wat of kids dt have used the negative situation to develop themselves nd made them even better ppl....my point is u can't just meet a lady,get attracted to her for a while nd immediately u find out she's from a broken home..u just take to ur heels,anybody u say u wanna marry u take ur time to know the person nd know if she has the values u think are good enough for raising ur future kids nd base ur decision on dt...neverquit said it all there are a gazillion 'together homes' specially in ds 21st century dt are not healthy nd the kids grow up even worse than those from broken homes so don't let broken or not broken homes be ur criteria else u might just miss ur missing rib..know ur woman's character nd let God lead you...
With this imma gerarahere cos some comments are really amazing me dt ppl in the 21st century can still think like dt. Top of the morning to Y'all.

1000likes
Hi, How have you been its been a while.

3 Likes

Re: Guys, Can You Get Married To A Lady From A Broken Home?(separated Or Divorced). by yetseyi(f): 10:12am On Sep 25, 2015
[quote author=cc150615 post=38353521]

Re: Guys, Can You Get Married To A Lady From A Broken Home?(separated Or Divorced). by Nobody: 10:14am On Sep 25, 2015
Timbuktou:
It's a risky proposition. Most children from broken homes haven't been taught how to keep a relationship or home together and make one work; and most of them never bother to learn. E no dey hard dem to divorce at the slightest marital inconvenience or check out emotionally. They are usually biased against the estranged parent and the parent's gender due to one-sided accounts from custodial parents.

Anybody intending to marry a product of a broken home would do well to ensure due diligence in determining their marriage ideals and conflict resolution beliefs and methods.
I Rilly don't agree so much wit ur proposition...especially as regards ur unfounded assertion that "most children from broken homes havnt bn taught how to keep a relationship or home 2geda". Mind u, dere are always exceptions, b it frm broken homes or homes wit both parents. I on my part have found out children from broken homes, d ladies I mean, they are usually strong willed nd determined; though they often got that emotional slack at tyms, but I tell u, shower them wit luv, care and affection, nd they will b urs forever, as long as they find dt emotional headrest in you. Moreover, there is nothing they wouldn't do in the world for whosoever they luv. They will go to any length. Of all they are humans, so why discriminate?
Re: Guys, Can You Get Married To A Lady From A Broken Home?(separated Or Divorced). by Nobody: 10:21am On Sep 25, 2015
ejeh121:
my mum raised me since I was a minor and needed to be with her my elder ones was with pa and pa always came around to see me.
hmmm, your case is exceptional.

I still need more prove to debunk this popular belief.
Re: Guys, Can You Get Married To A Lady From A Broken Home?(separated Or Divorced). by Nobody: 10:23am On Sep 25, 2015
Shymm3x:

Lol. Not taking shots. They know that is how Nigerians in diaspora are classified in everyday interaction in diaspora. Folks get along on the surface but that is where it ends - different mentality/outlook, experience, and knowledge scope.

It is not an assumption - that is the reality. Our outlook and behavioural pattern are influenced by what we were raised around. It is just basically like chics who grew up around dads who are supremely loving and successful. Subconsciously, they will always scheme for guys who are or have the same potentials, as their dads. That is what they will subconsciously be attracted to. Just like every guy out there will always be subconsciously attracted to chics who are like their mums.

Chics from broken homes are also always quick to drop that "you're just as useless as my dad" line. If that doesn't tell a story...I don't know what it represents. The truth is: as a guy you will spend most of ya time trying to prove to them that you are not anything like their dads, due to all the negativity their mums must have instilled in them. And that is pretty much hard work.

Err, you are from a broken home. You just need a guy with a lot of patience who can play the role of a dad/partner at the same time. Run as far as you can from knuckleheads like me looool. But you'd make a great mum though.
U rily hit a reasonable point dere "patience", u are absolutely ryt. Its only a guy wit a lot of patience DT can handle such. Especially wit problems of emotional slacks nd lapses from the lady.
Re: Guys, Can You Get Married To A Lady From A Broken Home?(separated Or Divorced). by yetseyi(f): 10:23am On Sep 25, 2015
Shymm3x:

Loool. I don't even count being a lighty as being beautiful (I've a younger cousin from North Ldn who thinks only lighties are good looking and all dark skinned chics are fugly lool - his dad is from Ijebu Ode, ya part of Ijebuland looool)...though a lot of them are. Moreover, most naija lighties are never even good looking...they always make looking light-skinned plain. Perhaps it's cos they're notorious for skin bleaching with Fela Kuti's "yellow fever" symptoms everywhere loool. I prefer my caramel and dark skinned chics with ridiculous bodies. tongue

First time I am seeing a guy saying being lighty doesn't equate to beauty. smiley but there are lighties who are actually good looking. I think generally lighties are more attractive they are more "brighter" so they get noticed easily.

Shymm3x:

[/b]There are no right set of naij ladies...they're all the same [b] Let me check my family. My brother is married to a naija chic. Then two of my Uncles married naij women, and both are now separated from their wives. One is having fun, while the other is now with a Sierra Leonean chic...the rest are married to Ghanaians. Even my cousins aren't left out of the equation. Almost all of them are with chics from all kinds of countries, apart from two. The one that married very early at age 23 to a naij chic is now separated from his wife...but he likes his Yoruba chics and he has scooped up a next one. And the one that use to come on this forum is dating some Igbo or some chic from that South South part of naij. Round here, no one has time for naij chics...maybe me, cos I like clowning them loool. Even my boys aren't even into naij chics like that. True story.

@ bolded very WRONG

Shymm3x:

Hopefully. I'll see if I can get pics on the internet. There's also a next Ijebu group I have on my friend list on a dummy facebook account - I'll check it as well.

Okay will be expecting it, I trust my maternal family they are already in town ( Those peeps like owambe sad)
Re: Guys, Can You Get Married To A Lady From A Broken Home?(separated Or Divorced). by irishCream: 10:23am On Sep 25, 2015
Progress2468:

How old are u?

I'm guessing 17 angry
Re: Guys, Can You Get Married To A Lady From A Broken Home?(separated Or Divorced). by missade(f): 10:27am On Sep 25, 2015
Lol @thread

I'm from a broken home like they say. Father raised me and no I didn't have any hatred towards mum. I simply wanted them back together.

However, I have heard a lot of talk about this issue because a lot of people want to play therapist in your life when they get to know. Lol

Truth is a home with baggage Wether the parents are together or not influence a child at the early stage. I have friends whose parents are together but with so much drama.

Everyone intending to marry should thread carefully whether they are from broken homes or not. And no the argument that those from broken homes give up easily or are more aggressive doesn't add up to me cos most of the time you find the women trying hard to sustain a toxic relationship all in the hopes of not having a failed one like her parents.

In the end, marry an adult, one who has come to terms with what they can not change in life but work hard to change that which they can. #broken home or not!

3 Likes

Re: Guys, Can You Get Married To A Lady From A Broken Home?(separated Or Divorced). by Tolude(m): 10:28am On Sep 25, 2015
No I can't.
Although the lady is not at fault for the decision of her parent but to be realistic in Africa setting, such a lady do not have a balance home training of both father and mother and in such a case the lady will have more influence from d single parent she grew up with.
Again, looking from 'judgemental' angel, the lady look @ things from a single aspect rather than all round basis and this make them to criticise pple a lot.
Moreso, they don't really appreciate family value because they lack this while growing up and the love for both parent will be lacking and if care is not taken, dey can't endure marital challenges wen dey come up in family
Re: Guys, Can You Get Married To A Lady From A Broken Home?(separated Or Divorced). by bamac(m): 10:32am On Sep 25, 2015
yetseyi:

okay

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry you know I wont let this go.

Its just that I don't have the stats I am almost certain we have more muslim-Ijebu than christains. You hardly find a purely christain extended family and a sizeable number among the christains were converted.( Ojude-Oba is on saturday I think)

i have lived in ijebu-ode for the past 7years and confirming to you that muslims are more than xtians here... The difference is clear during xmas and ileya celebration..

OJUDE-OBA is saturday, you can watch it live online... CHECK MY SIGNATURE...
Re: Guys, Can You Get Married To A Lady From A Broken Home?(separated Or Divorced). by passionate88: 10:36am On Sep 25, 2015
lezz:
A lady who walks away from her first marriage is 90% likely to do so again in her second.

Very wrong.
Re: Guys, Can You Get Married To A Lady From A Broken Home?(separated Or Divorced). by yetseyi(f): 10:38am On Sep 25, 2015
bamac:
i have lived in ijebu-ode for the past 7years and confirming to you that muslims are more than xtians here... The difference is clear during xmas and ileya celebration..

OJUDE-OBA is saturday, you can watch it live online... CHECK MY SIGNATURE...

Thats nice, I saw that you created a thread for the press conference. You can please create a thread for pictures of the event .

cc: shymm3x
Re: Guys, Can You Get Married To A Lady From A Broken Home?(separated Or Divorced). by bamac(m): 10:46am On Sep 25, 2015
yetseyi:

Thats nice, I saw that you created a thread for the press conference. You can please create a thread for pictures of the event .

cc: shymm3x
sure i will
Re: Guys, Can You Get Married To A Lady From A Broken Home?(separated Or Divorced). by bamac(m): 11:03am On Sep 25, 2015
Shymm3x:

Loool. I don't even count being a lighty as being beautiful (I've a younger cousin from North Ldn who thinks only lighties are good looking and all dark skinned chics are fugly lool - his dad is from Ijebu Ode, ya part of Ijebuland looool)...though a lot of them are. Moreover, most naija lighties are never even good looking...they always make looking light-skinned plain. Perhaps it's cos they're notorious for skin bleaching with Fela Kuti's "yellow fever" symptoms everywhere loool. I prefer my caramel and dark skinned chics with ridiculous bodies. tongue

There are no right set of naij ladies...they're all the same. Let me check my family. My brother is married to a naija chic. Then two of my Uncles married naij women, and both are now separated from their wives. One is having fun, while the other is now with a Sierra Leonean chic...the rest are married to Ghanaians. Even my cousins aren't left out of the equation. Almost all of them are with chics from all kinds of countries, apart from two. The one that married very early at age 23 to a naij chic is now separated from his wife...but he likes his Yoruba chics and he has scooped up a next one. And the one that use to come on this forum is dating some Igbo or some chic from that South South part of naij. Round here, no one has time for naij chics...maybe me, cos I like clowning them loool. Even my boys aren't even into naij chics like that. True story.

Nah, ain't no one got time to defend the black race - that's a lost cause. I just defend myself and my blackness, while talking about my reality as a black man. It's just basically about trying to find what's natural to you as a black person, and not getting involved in other people's battle for supremacy. I already have my plate full as a black man in this white man's world - no time getting involved in other people's nonsense lool.

Hopefully. I'll see if I can get pics on the internet. There's also a next Ijebu group I have on my friend list on a dummy facebook account - I'll check it as well.
don't go too far, check my signature, bamisepeters' blog is one of the accredited press for the festival.
Re: Guys, Can You Get Married To A Lady From A Broken Home?(separated Or Divorced). by yehmi01(m): 11:03am On Sep 25, 2015
Arty2014:

Q

What about guys/men from broken homes? Should ladies consider them for marriage?.........just asking

The fact that we see marriage as a mans sole responsibility or a woman's sole responsiblity to make it work is still not a good approach.

A lady can consider a man and the man should also consider a woman if they are both matured enough to be respesponsible for each other (Physically, emotionally, financially, spiritually etc) and must both trust God for the sucess of the marriage.

Marriage is not an institution where a party seats and folds his or her hands and cross legs expecting the other party to make it work alone.

I don't belong to the school of thought that say a woman's must be this tribe or background or a man must be this or that before we consider them for marriage .

The institution of marriage was created by God for each party to help raise the hand of the other.

The bible calls the woman a weaker vessel because the man took the place of the weak vessel and thats why he needed an help mate in the first place.

So if you are looking for a man based on his strength or you marry a man without clearly knowing his weakness and still love him through it then you might just need to still understanding the institution called marriage.

Also I used the word weakness relating to issues like coming from broken homes, no parents and others in that category as it relates to this thread.

Not weakness like lazyness or others in that category.

I honestly don't support any irresponsible person to get in any marriage weather man or woman.
Re: Guys, Can You Get Married To A Lady From A Broken Home?(separated Or Divorced). by 400billionman: 11:11am On Sep 25, 2015
I tried but i couldnt.

She kept living in her past. Permanently wounded by constant fights of her parents. Her father was a serial cheat. She followed suit.
Re: Guys, Can You Get Married To A Lady From A Broken Home?(separated Or Divorced). by Karleb(m): 11:15am On Sep 25, 2015
There you have it, another marriage thread on FP. angry
Re: Guys, Can You Get Married To A Lady From A Broken Home?(separated Or Divorced). by Excellentmind: 11:17am On Sep 25, 2015
Op, it's really a difficult issue I must say. This is because, in an attempt by one patent to defend her role in the marital crisis, will lead to a lot of actions and statements which will eventually be copied by the growing child most especially girls. later in life, there will be traces of vengeance in her actions. This of course, will build friction in her relationship which will invariably crash.
I nearly married a girl from a broken marriage. I'd set out some money for the traditional marriage without informing her. During the courtship, her actions, believes and statements towards men were strange, but I didn't bother because of the love I had for her until I requested to meet her parents. She opened up and I realized that her negative utterances about men were as a result of the separation. She grew up with her mother which impacted her with lots of negativities and deep inside her I could feel a cry for vengeance, and so the relationship hit the rock.
My dear, it's really a risky venture.
Re: Guys, Can You Get Married To A Lady From A Broken Home?(separated Or Divorced). by Edipee(m): 11:22am On Sep 25, 2015
VenusBetty:
thank you my brother, I have a friend thats even divorced and to think I'm even older than her as young as I am, Her parent are still together. I also have a friend too, her Father once advised her to leave her husband's house if she feels she cant cope with his nagging, her parent her not separated o.
What a wonderful father! This world is too complicated, yet, people tend to generalise everything.
Re: Guys, Can You Get Married To A Lady From A Broken Home?(separated Or Divorced). by Lamyy: 11:25am On Sep 25, 2015
Timbuktou:
It's a risky proposition. Most children from broken homes haven't been taught how to keep a relationship or home together and make one work; and most of them never bother to learn. E no dey hard dem to divorce at the slightest marital inconvenience or check out emotionally. They are usually biased against the estranged parent and the parent's gender due to one-sided accounts from custodial parents.

Anybody intending to marry a product of a broken home would do well to ensure due diligence in determining their marriage ideals and conflict resolution beliefs and methods.

Oh. So you people from unbroken homes have been 'taught' how to keep a home. I see. I will however like to point out that you are wrong. Very wrong. The way you label 'product of a broken home' as well is rather rude. Don't just judge people based on your assumptions. Bye
Re: Guys, Can You Get Married To A Lady From A Broken Home?(separated Or Divorced). by ajademola2000(m): 11:27am On Sep 25, 2015
op it will depend on how broke she is, still ok if not flat broke
Re: Guys, Can You Get Married To A Lady From A Broken Home?(separated Or Divorced). by irishCream: 11:39am On Sep 25, 2015
VenusBetty:
Your mum told you bad things about men, thank God you didn't take that into your brain, I am from a broken home too but I really appreciate my mum, She never said anything bad about my Dad, She's a teacher and i have to say there are some mums that will also do same. So coming from a broken home should not be the problem of the children, you think they like that fact. Reading all these comments totally broke my heart cuz its just called discrimination. Is this really what people think about us?

My dear that's the world for you, they discriminate almost every facet of life, I first experienced this when my ex was ready to settle down, the family said over their dead body and the relationship was torn apart, since then I just lock up, whenever I meet someone i do try to find out their views about marrying from a broken home if his views are negative I quickly place my emotions on check!!!
Re: Guys, Can You Get Married To A Lady From A Broken Home?(separated Or Divorced). by Shymm3x: 11:57am On Sep 25, 2015
bamac:
don't go too far, check my signature, bamisepeters' blog is one of the accredited press for the festival.

Thanks, brother.

I'll be on the look out.
Re: Guys, Can You Get Married To A Lady From A Broken Home?(separated Or Divorced). by lezz(m): 12:02pm On Sep 25, 2015
passionate88:
Very wrong.
And why is that?
Re: Guys, Can You Get Married To A Lady From A Broken Home?(separated Or Divorced). by irishCream: 12:10pm On Sep 25, 2015
sorextee:
I grew up with dad..

Okay! So how is Borno?
Re: Guys, Can You Get Married To A Lady From A Broken Home?(separated Or Divorced). by Shymm3x: 12:16pm On Sep 25, 2015
yetseyi:

First time I am seeing a guy saying being lighty doesn't equate to beauty. smiley but there are lighties who are actually good looking. I think generally lighties are more attractive they are more "brighter" so they get noticed easily.

@ bolded very WRONG

Okay will be expecting it, I trust my maternal family they are already in town ( Those peeps like owambe sad)

Personally, I don't get the hype about lighties. I don't care about whatever shade of black a chic is as long as she's nice based on what I look out for in chics. Black is black regardless of the shade. But I don't like chics who bleach their skin though - they all look fugly to me.

I think it depends on how you define "more attractive". They only look more attractive to folks with colour problem who have been subconsciously brainwashed by the European standard of beauty. Being attractive has nothing to do with shade.

Personally, I think Meagan is the most beautiful woman on the planet and she's what you will classify as caramel. And I'm always in awe every time I see pics of Bria Myles and Briana Bette, and these are dark-skinned women.

These naij chics are the same...folks just tolerate them but the truth is the truth. Sometimes you just have to overlook their bs cos it's typical but most people know they don't know how to act. You don't even need to ask a lot of them about where they're from - you would just know straight-away by their attitude.

Looool. Ijebus and owanbes are like bread and butter. But the funniest thing is that most Ijebu chics I meet don't have owanbe faces loool.
Re: Guys, Can You Get Married To A Lady From A Broken Home?(separated Or Divorced). by Nobody: 12:26pm On Sep 25, 2015
JudgementHammer:

Well I didn't frame up d story. Its very real. I almost ran out of home when I was young. Some children who she tried to adopt as househelp then, they ran away. There was a year I stayed away from home in a family friend's house and threatened her that I was with my dad since she won't change and she started threatening my dad to expect war. My dad said I shd let her know wherever I am to avoid complications and I did.

The fact is I don't even have the intention of going to my dad cuz his wife who is my mum's rival will not be happy to have me live with them. You certainly know how women feel when another child from outside is coming in..she could even poison me and I'm d only child 4 my mum. If I leave my mum now it won't be good although she once said its not necessary that her child buries her, that she can live without a child. Yet she was feeling jealous when I threatened to go to dad. Even d family friends that harboured me 4 that year are now her enemies cuz they hid her child from her..so she thinks. Apart from the psychological effects of coping in marriage sef, tell me which girl or lady would want to have such as a mother-in-law. A woman whose facial look alone isn't receptive yet a church addict. Well that's where I find myself and I can't fight God for giving me such a parent.

So my dear, some men have even gone thru more than these, that's why it seem some of them aren't loving or romantic. So its gud to know why God brought you into ur spouses' life and stop expecting the societal standard from him/her just cuz u see ur friend's spouse do same. Life is in stages and men are in sizes. We're all diff from each other and ur role as a husband/wife is unique to u alone. When u see someone who loves so much, its bcus he/she has been well loved too. No one can give what he/she does not have.
I understand you dear, I'll tell you this without mincing words, guys from broken home have treated me well more than the ones from unbroken homes.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

"7 Truths About Marriage You Will Not Be Told" / Nigerian Couple Reunited After 10 Years And Died 24hours Later In Horrible / Valentine: IgbereTV Boss, Anyalekwa Gifts Wife Benz C-Class Kompressor (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.