Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,974 members, 7,817,872 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:46 PM

HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? (48611 Views)

Top HND Holders In Nigeria / Hnd Graduates Can Now Rise Above Level 14 / Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Bhola(f): 11:30pm On Sep 14, 2006
God help Nigeria!
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Nobody: 11:40pm On Sep 14, 2006
That's why some of us are scared to death of moving back to naija
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Hndholder(m): 8:47am On Sep 15, 2006
BA Theology working in accounts department and HND holder in Accountancy with ICAN can not get job simply because he/she own HND.
HND banking and finance sent off from a BANK and Bsc Biology Education Heads account department. All for the embarrassment of HND certificate. Is that the reason while I should go to obtain degree? In this "spoil System"? More degree holders are equally jobless but that is referred to as unemployment. A university degree holder in Engineering working in the bank is it not unemployment? A Lawyer teaching in the secondary school must be more embarrassed than an HND holder.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 9:12am On Sep 15, 2006
YOU ARE VERY FUNNY O. YES, SOME OF MY FRIENDS WITH THEIR BEng ARE TEACHING IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS. INFACT THAT IS AN EMBARRASSMENT TOO.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Hndholder(m): 9:36am On Sep 15, 2006
HND enginering working in an Engineering company will be happy more than the Fully embarrassed , devalued BEng.
Tell him to go to college of education we will not like to see such face in COREN. What a useless certificate now, BEng in other part of the world will be involved in equipment development. this one here na teacher. Let me ask you is he a teacher in Nursery and pry school?
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 7:18pm On Sep 15, 2006
Na secondary school oo; physics and mathematics teacher. Its a pity, people like dat are already leaving with stigma too. BEng Elect/Elect (2.1) teaching in a secondary school. Na wa o.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Lanny(m): 7:10pm On Sep 17, 2006
Everyone in the society now has a warped view of the issue.Even the recent pronouncement that ceilling will not be placed on HND holders any longer is like a policy summersault.Government is talking of recruitment of fresh graduates to restructure the civil service but they make it in such a way that BSC holders stand a better chance of being employed.The last NYSC recruitment is a case in point

What I believe in is adding value to oneself as an HND holder.They said Polys will soon start running like unis but when?When will the proffs see the reason to come to Poly sytem?
There's a point to which a person can brand himself so much so that the employers will be left with no choice but to call him for a test be he an HND or BSC holder.

But sha it's painful.A friend told me recently(we finished Youth Service together this February) that he will now start pursuing a degree course because of the said discrimination.
Take care guys
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Hndholder(m): 8:17am On Sep 18, 2006
That your friend is confused. Just wait few months and see.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 8:31am On Sep 18, 2006
We have said it before that people like that guy are the problems polytechnic graduates have.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by KDK(m): 9:46am On Sep 18, 2006
I can't feel you guys, I have an HND and I earn more than 560,000 naira after tax per month (allowances inclusive) and I work with a nigerian company. Can you beat that? How many of you in UK can boast of my salary without working your arses out?
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 9:53am On Sep 18, 2006
MY BROTHER PLEASE TELL THEM O. SOME HND HOLDERS BELIEVE THEY CANNOT GET A GOOD JOB HERE IN NIGERIA. PLS HELP ME ENCOURAGE THEM.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by zebudaya(m): 11:02pm On Sep 18, 2006
KDK:

I can't feel you guys, I have an HND and I earn more than 560,000 naira after tax per month (allowances inclusive) and I work with a nigerian company. Can you beat that? How many of you in UK can boast of my salary without working your arses out?

6.72 million/year after tax good money but how long have you worked for the company? and how much work experience do you have?
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by KDK(m): 10:04am On Sep 19, 2006
That is not the exact figure, it is slightly more than that. That is my starting salary (plus allowance excluding tax). I just graduated. smiley
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by zebudaya(m): 3:03pm On Sep 19, 2006
That's cool, you're lucky in the west they say they pay you 50,000 then they take out tax, and you would be lucky to get allowance when they dey vex for the one wey dem dey pay you!
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by KDK(m): 4:06pm On Sep 19, 2006
Our head office is in the west too although my job is intercontinental in nature. I am sorry to say but I don't believe in luck rather I am a beneficiary of the extravagant grace of God (Roman9:15 &16 ; Eccl 9:11).

P.S,
If you must think that I used connection, you wouldn't be wrong just that the only connection I used and still use is that of my elder brother whose name is JESUS CHRIST.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Hndholder(m): 5:51pm On Sep 20, 2006
So much evils in details. With so much money you are not protected aganst the HND discriminations.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 6:58am On Sep 21, 2006
Let government scrap polytechnic education in nigeria and close down all polytechnics so that people will not waste their precious time going there in the 1st place.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Hndholder(m): 8:13am On Sep 21, 2006
Simply close down the "yeye" school
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Hndholder(m): 9:25am On Sep 21, 2006
A perspective on the discrimination against Nigerian HND graduates

CHRISTIAN DIMKPA

Jena, Germany

cdimkpa@ice.mpg.de

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

At present, the average Nigerian graduate, be they of the university or the polytechnic hue, is largely poorly trained and therefore ill-equipped to face life’s dynamic realities. On a visit to Nigeria last summer, one of my former lecturers at the Michael Okpara College of Agriculture (MOCA), Owerri, Imo State, during a discussion, concluded that the last set of motivated and serious students of his college graduated in 1998. I agreed with him not because I was of that set but because my HND research project attests to that. However, I remembered that this same lecturer, like several of his peers, rather than engage the students in rigorous academic work, sold plagiarised handouts to us like no man’s business.

This brings me to the recent directive from President Olusegun Obasanjo aimed at ending the discrimination between HND and BSc graduates. Whether employers of labour are heeding this directive or not is another story. But, tell me, what is there to discriminate against when both qualifications (as obtained from Nigeria in recent times) reek of mediocrity? The truth is, like his BSc counterpart, the present Nigerian HND graduate is a lazy, dependent fellow who would not take his destiny in his hands. Many students attend polytechnics for several reasons. For me and for many National Diploma (ND) students, being from just an average-resource family, undertaking an ND program was a form of security, since the later is of shorter duration, and there is no guaranteed funding for the longer BSc program. It was reasoned that in the event of loss of sponsorship (from death or loss of job by the sponsor), one can pause after the ND, work for a while with that intermediate certificate, and then continue with higher studies from savings made. For the much longer BSc program, loss of sponsorship midway could see the individual involved back to school certificate level. Would you blame anyone for reasoning this way? I wouldn't, not with poverty so palpable in Nigeria.

Although I was fully aware of the discriminatory phenomenon, I did not let it be a roadblock to my ambition. If you will permit, a brief delve into my career might help to buttress this point. I used to hold (of course, I still hold) an ND and a HND in Crop Production, both from relatively non-renown higher institutions in Nigeria. However, it is instructive that today I am pursuing a PhD program at one of the prestigious Max Planck institutes in Germany (best research institute in Europe and eight best globally), and this is in an innovative field of study that, perhaps, may never be conducted in any Nigerian university many years from now. This is after obtaining an International MSc degree in Belgium from a university that is listed among the first 300 globally. Note that no Nigerian university is in the first 500. In the newspaper recently, one Nigerian stakeholder lamented that even if the ranking is extended to the first 5000 best universities, Nigerian universities would still not make the list.

After my HND studies in 1998, I worked with the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) Ibadan, as a Research Assistant. During the interview for that position, several BSc graduate applicants from ‘well-known’ universities such as UI, UniLag, OAU-Ile Ife, among others, were interviewed as well, but the big university names associated with those candidates did not save them from relegation, as footballers are wont to say. What I am emphasising here is that it is the intellectual quality of the individual, not the institution attended, that often matters. If you know IITA, then you will agree with me that when it comes to staff recruitment, personal merit is the watchword, not merely possessing a HND or BSc degree.

Afterwards, I applied for graduate studies at the Federal University of Agriculture in Abeokuta (UNAAB). Surprisingly or not, I was not considered suitable for admission either because of my HND (even at upper credit level), or because I do not come from that catchment area (remember the federal character scourge in Nigeria). But that is by the way. Nevertheless, I did not relent in my desire to attain the highest academic level possible, so that in spite of possessing a HND and the unexplained rejection by UNAAB, and thanks to hundreds of Internet hours, I soon obtained a full scholarship from the Belgian inter-university council (www.vlir.be) in 2003, to study Molecular Biology (Plant Biotechnology) in that country.

When I arrived in Belgium for the English-taught MSc program, I found out that of the 241 Nigerians who applied for scholarship for the course, I was the only one admitted. Remember, I held a ‘less worthy’ HND, not the ‘almighty’ BSc. The curious mind that I am, I inquired more about the unsuccessful Nigerian applicants and behold, they were mostly university graduates (again from UI, UniLag, OAU, UNN, UniPort, etc). To crown the ‘HND victory,’ two other students of The Polytechnic Ibadan were also admitted but for different MSc courses. That polytechnic offers only HND and not BSc programs. The three of us had a good laugh, as they had also been discriminated against earlier. Such is the power of the individual merit.

I have since acquitted myself very well in the Belgian MSc program; hence I was admitted, again on full fellowship, to one of the International Max Planck Research School (IMPRS) of the Max Planck society in Germany (see http://www.mpg.de/english , and also http://www.ice.mpg.de),to study beneficial plant-microbe interaction using modern biotechniques, including proteomics and metabolomics. The other Nigerian scholars formerly holding HNDs have since undertaken different higher pursuits here in Europe. Several other such examples abound of successes with HND certificates in and out of Nigeria.

This narrative does not by any means attempt to denigrate Nigerian BSc graduates or the universities from which they graduated; millions of excellent Nigerians, home and abroad have passed through these institutions. Rather, the piece attempts to deemphasise the entrenched segregation. Emphasis should be placed more on what an individual graduate made of himself from the university or polytechnic. There is even a dichotomy between federal and state university graduates. Wonders shall never end in Nigeria! From these experiences, it can be seen that the senseless HND-BSc dichotomy should have no place in the mind of any serious-minded Nigerian graduate. After all, the HND is fully recognised in the UK and has several equivalents in other European countries. What then is all the fuss about it in Nigeria? My little advice to the Nigerian HND holder who has suffered this discrimination, and who feels qualified enough for certain positions denied him or her is this: Do not let man-made barriers block your ambition, except you have none. Take a cue from others; take time off to do meaningful Internet browsing, not using the Internet for 419 and other such negative activities. In no time, you too can obtain a scholarship to a much better-rated institution of higher learning abroad. By so doing you would have catapulted yourself well beyond any possible academic discrimination if you choose to return to Nigeria to work.

Christian Dimkpa, a PhD fellow of the International Max Planck Research School, writes from Jena, Germany (cdimkpa@ice.mpg.de)

www.kwenu.com: Simply surprise yourself yonder!
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by hakeusola: 11:05am On Sep 21, 2006
Hello, its really a sad story in this country called nigeria,to make it worse our so called leaders are not doing anything to help/change the situation the HND holder face in this nation but i know that God is watching and he will surely to something by giving us a leader with peoples love who will put everything in other including the education system in this country.

Hakeusola
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 12:06pm On Sep 21, 2006
i say amen to your prayers.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by alibor: 12:38pm On Sep 21, 2006
your qualification is a psycological affair, there are first class degree holders barely making a significant living, while primary school drop outs are pushing the nigerian economy - go to Alaba and find out for yourself.

forget this class and qualification talk and forge a future for yourself and generation. if you choose to make a difference in the web services business visit www.signonafrica.net/webmasters.html or u could find an area that trully interests you and leave your foot print there for generations to come!

President Obasanjo is a graduate of Yaba Tech, or is that not what I heared?

Trash your feelings and be FREE!
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by zebudaya(m): 2:58pm On Sep 21, 2006
Obasanjo probably went to a military academy.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Hndholder(m): 3:58pm On Sep 21, 2006
Zebu which one is your own in probability?
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by MyPeace(f): 4:52pm On Sep 21, 2006
@Hnd holder

Zebu is not sure, hence probably, if you are sure, tell us, is it Yaba tech or Military school as proposed here?
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by donmayor(m): 5:07pm On Sep 21, 2006
He went to both, dats y he is running the country like,
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 5:18pm On Sep 21, 2006
donmayor:

He went to both, that is y he is running the country like,

my brother how him dey rule the country??
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Hndholder(m): 5:20pm On Sep 21, 2006
He attended Baptist high school before joining army in 1958

Mons officers cadet school, Aldershot England

Royal College of Millitary Engineering Chatham, England

School of survey Newbury England,

Indian Defence Staff College, Indian Army School of Engineering

Royal College of Defence Studies in London.

Rumour had it that he was at Yaba Tech.
donmayor:

He went to both, that is y he is running the country like,
Like what? this is 3rd term where are those ones that will no rule like
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 5:35pm On Sep 21, 2006
Baba did military engineering. Is he a member of COREN and NSE?? What kind of engineering work do dey do in the army sef; is it vehicle and gun repairs and maintenance??
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by zebudaya(m): 9:23pm On Sep 21, 2006
ishmael e be like say u de forget say around the world na military dey develop the hottest technology, then after couple of years civillians go get their hands on am! eg Hummer, even the internet ( they develop am with military money)!
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by adexx(m): 7:06am On Sep 22, 2006
sadTo all HND holders like me, I have this saying "If God be for us, who can be against us". It is ear/eye sour that such wide disscrimination exist between a Bsc and HND holder. The question that should be on our lips is that "is it all those in the government parastatals are Bsc holders". Infact many things are wrong in this country and not leaving out the educational sector. Our country is blessed but the people herein are the problem. I foresee a situation whereby all the Polythenics will seize to be in existence in the nearest future if the situation is not checked. There are self centered people up there in the place of authority who should fight for the masses but for where, all they know is their pocket. A revolution is coming to Nigeria soon and thing will change for better. To all HND holders I say WEEP NO MORE. Shallom cry smiley
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 8:04am On Sep 22, 2006
zebudaya:

ishmael e be like say u de forget say around the world na military dey develop the hottest technology, then after couple of years civillians go get their hands on am! eg Hummer, even the internet ( they develop am with military money)!

Zebudaya, dat one na for oyibo country o! our own Nigerian Army engineers no dey do anything wey pass gun/rigle maintenancs and vehicle maintenance then building of tunnels. infact na dem dig the grave for abuja cemetary wey dem take bury those generals wey die 4 plane crash on sunday. As for US, UK, France, Germany and other developed countries i know that one very well na military guys dey do research pass sef. Operational research for example started from the military during WWII or so; COBOL programming was developed by a female Naval officer etc. Anyway sha our own Army engineers dey try too.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Diamond Bank Sacks over 1000 Staffs / Breaking news : ICAN releases the result of 2016 May Diet Exam / Where Can A Zoologist Or Parasitologist Work In Nigeria?(HELP)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.