Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,991 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:56 AM

Obasanjo And Buhari While Commissioning Warri Refinery In 1978 (Photo) - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo And Buhari While Commissioning Warri Refinery In 1978 (Photo) (52430 Views)

Throwback Photo Of Obasanjo & Buhari In 1978 & Now / OBJ & Buhari Pictured In 1978 Cutting The Tape At The Opening Of Warri Refinery / Obasanjo, Shehu Yar'adua And T.Y. Danjuma At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obasanjo And Buhari While Commissioning Warri Refinery In 1978 (Photo) by RZQ3: 12:12pm On Feb 05, 2015
if apc iz telling lie can you please tell us the truth cry

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo And Buhari While Commissioning Warri Refinery In 1978 (Photo) by 4everGrand(m): 12:12pm On Feb 05, 2015
DaGC:
Most of the above posters don't even know when planning and work began on the refinery.

Exactly, it began during GEJ's time. 'I will do better when I come for 2nd term'... Please!

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo And Buhari While Commissioning Warri Refinery In 1978 (Photo) by brownlord: 12:16pm On Feb 05, 2015
eluquenson:
Are you serious, am sure you ain't blind & you are posting here with the facilities OBJ provided by bringing private investors in telecom to Nigeria. I don't need to mention cos am very sure you a in blind.

You are very very very fooolish, mumu he brought telecoms and paid the companies to supply phones to nigerians right? i thought we bought the phones with our money i could remember my dad buying used line for 20k, so what should i be thanking him for, mumu why not thank him that you are alive or breathing.

Ode
Re: Obasanjo And Buhari While Commissioning Warri Refinery In 1978 (Photo) by Nobody: 12:17pm On Feb 05, 2015
Pataki:
Pictures don't lie.

Little wonder OBJ enjoined Buhari to have infrastructure as also one of his cardinal issues when Nigerians vote him in FeBUHARI 14th.

Even back then, these men had the development of Nigeria at heart. Our so-called younger leaders of today are busy stealing from the purse of the nation and arming militants.

Nigeria must CHANGE.
but you guys still insulted and still insult the regime of Obj. y'all claim he's eating the economy too! humans can be so ungrateful and unsatisfied.

Nigerians especially, never help in development but are quick to criticize.
Re: Obasanjo And Buhari While Commissioning Warri Refinery In 1978 (Photo) by brownlord: 12:20pm On Feb 05, 2015
dhardline:

Or the same OBJ who forced all Nigerians using mtn line to forcefully contribute to his account by dialling *555*1*..........Nigerians forget easily.

In kuti's voice "I sorry sorry O"
Re: Obasanjo And Buhari While Commissioning Warri Refinery In 1978 (Photo) by omonnakoda: 12:21pm On Feb 05, 2015
That is a photo of Buhari,Obasanjo ,some other guys and a tape. I do not see a refinery in that photo? Please caption your thread accurately
Re: Obasanjo And Buhari While Commissioning Warri Refinery In 1978 (Photo) by CaptainJason: 12:26pm On Feb 05, 2015
Buhari never built any refinery, he was only lucky to be Head of NNPC when one of the projects were commissioned. He did not award any contract, it was never his idea.
Re: Obasanjo And Buhari While Commissioning Warri Refinery In 1978 (Photo) by kuzee(m): 12:29pm On Feb 05, 2015
my place of work. .
waffi guys I hail o
Re: Obasanjo And Buhari While Commissioning Warri Refinery In 1978 (Photo) by ismyheal75: 12:31pm On Feb 05, 2015
eluquenson:
GMB's visit to my alma mater in March, 1985

Our next president with the former Rector of Federal Polytechnic,Ilaro.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo And Buhari While Commissioning Warri Refinery In 1978 (Photo) by Orikinla(m): 12:32pm On Feb 05, 2015
[size=18pt]GEJ is actually the first "419" President of Nigeria.[/size]

5 Likes

Re: Obasanjo And Buhari While Commissioning Warri Refinery In 1978 (Photo) by omonnakoda: 12:37pm On Feb 05, 2015
CaptainJason:
Buhari never built any refinery, he was only lucky to be Head of NNPC when one of the projects were commissioned. He did not award any contract, it was never his idea.
When was he head of NNPC?
Re: Obasanjo And Buhari While Commissioning Warri Refinery In 1978 (Photo) by ej77: 12:43pm On Feb 05, 2015
Mubarack44:
the labour of our heroes as never be in vain. I rep change.
Lies from the pit of hell

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo And Buhari While Commissioning Warri Refinery In 1978 (Photo) by CaptainJason: 12:50pm On Feb 05, 2015
omonnakoda:
When was he head of NNPC?

"In March 1976, the then Head of State, General Olusegun Obasanjo appointed Buhari as the Federal Commissioner (position now called Minister) for Petroleum and Natural Resources. When the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation was created in 1976, Buhari was also appointed as its Chairman, a position he held until 1978."

No contract was awarded during this period
The 4 refineries were awarding in 1963, 1975, 1976 (By Murtala Mohammed Govt), and 1985.
It was after the assasination of Murtala Mohammed on February 13, 1976 that Obasanjo became president and then appointed Buhari as Head of NNPC. The appointment was a way of compensating him after a lower ranking officer to Buhari from his (Katsina) was named Chief of Staff, Supreme Headquarters (Vice President) and double-promoted to Major-General.
Re: Obasanjo And Buhari While Commissioning Warri Refinery In 1978 (Photo) by omonnakoda: 12:58pm On Feb 05, 2015
CaptainJason:

"In March 1976, the then Head of State, General Olusegun Obasanjo appointed Buhari as the Federal Commissioner (position now called Minister) for Petroleum and Natural Resources. When the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation was created in 1976, Buhari was also appointed as its Chairman, a position he held until 1978."

No contract was awarded during this period
The 4 refineries were awarding in 1963, 1975, 1976 (By Murtala Mohammed Govt), and 1985.
It was after the assasination of Murtala Mohammed on February 13, 1976 that Obasanjo became president and then appointed Buhari as Head of NNPC. The appointment was a way of compensating him after a lower ranking officer to Buhari from his (Katsina) was named Chief of Staff, Supreme Headquarters (Vice President) and double-promoted to Major-General.
Very Informative.Please share your source for the claim that no contracts were awarded and also for the 1963,1975 ,76 and 85 where do you get this from ?
Re: Obasanjo And Buhari While Commissioning Warri Refinery In 1978 (Photo) by tuyi19: 12:58pm On Feb 05, 2015
brownlord:

Wow, few years to come Shekau will be a blessing in disguise to some folks.

The same OBJ that served 8 years without nothing to show and was aiming 3rd term lobbying the legislators with billions or the same OBJ that ceded bakassi to Cameroon, or the same OBJ that used Operation feed the nation to scam Nigerians and turn it to his private farm?

What a country

who told you he served 8 years and nothing to show for it, you have smoked your weed again and is affecting your brain. the debt he paid, was is your father that paid it? and the money he saved in both forign reserve and excess crude account against the raining day which your vagabond president has squnadered in the name of traformation. today our debt is almost dobble what it was before this democratic government and we have been selling crude oil above the benchmark for the past 5 years.

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo And Buhari While Commissioning Warri Refinery In 1978 (Photo) by abagnalie: 1:02pm On Feb 05, 2015
buhari has worked along side obasanjo and now buhari is again working with osibanjo.

make you have collected your PVC and vote for BUHARI

SAI BUHARI
Re: Obasanjo And Buhari While Commissioning Warri Refinery In 1978 (Photo) by Politicalguru(m): 1:05pm On Feb 05, 2015
Re: Obasanjo And Buhari While Commissioning Warri Refinery In 1978 (Photo) by CaptainJason: 1:12pm On Feb 05, 2015
omonnakoda:
Very Informative.Please share your source for the claim that no contracts were awarded and also for the 1963,1975 ,76 and 85 where do you get this from ?

To make things easy.

http://nnpcgroup.com/NNPCBusiness/DownstreamVentures.aspx (Nigeria has 4 refineries)
http://www.wrpcnnpcng.com/about2.htm (about Warri refinery)
http://www.nnpcgroup.com/nnpcbusiness/subsidiaries/wrpc.aspx (about Warri refinery)
http://nnpcgroup.com/NNPCBusiness/Subsidiaries/KRPC.aspx () (about Kaduna refinery)
http://nnpcgroup.com/NNPCBusiness/Subsidiaries/PHRC.aspx () (about PH1 and PH2 refinery)
https://www.nairaland.com/2131491/lie-warri-refinery-buhari-obasanjo#30448487

You can easily deduce that Buhari did not award any contract as no contract to construct any refinery was awarded while he was head of NNPC. No construction was started during that time too. He was only lucky to be head of a NNPC when one awarded by Murtala Muhammed was completed 30 months after construction started.
Re: Obasanjo And Buhari While Commissioning Warri Refinery In 1978 (Photo) by eluquenson(m): 1:13pm On Feb 05, 2015
brownlord:

You are very very very fooolish, mumu he brought telecoms and paid the companies to supply phones to nigerians right? i thought we bought the phones with our money i could remember my dad buying used line for 20k, so what should i be thanking him for, mumu why not thank him that you are alive or breathing.

Ode
Sorry dude, why do you sound so stupid?

I thought your dad was forced to buy it at gun point
Re: Obasanjo And Buhari While Commissioning Warri Refinery In 1978 (Photo) by eluquenson(m): 1:16pm On Feb 05, 2015
Orikinla:
[size=18pt]GEJ is actually the first "419" President of Nigeria.[/size]
In fact, GEJ tells lie virtually every day

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo And Buhari While Commissioning Warri Refinery In 1978 (Photo) by Grandmisty: 1:18pm On Feb 05, 2015
makzeze:
Picture of Obasanjo and Buhari while commissioning Warri Refinery in 1978.

Where the refinery?
Re: Obasanjo And Buhari While Commissioning Warri Refinery In 1978 (Photo) by chibas: 1:18pm On Feb 05, 2015
pekeyim:

If they changed Nigeria why are we here?

Why didn't. OBJ build another refinery in His second 8 years?
pdp at national level had failed .
Re: Obasanjo And Buhari While Commissioning Warri Refinery In 1978 (Photo) by makzeze: 1:20pm On Feb 05, 2015
Grandmisty:

Where the refinery?
ASK OBASANJO
Re: Obasanjo And Buhari While Commissioning Warri Refinery In 1978 (Photo) by pekeyim: 1:23pm On Feb 05, 2015
chibas:
pdp at national level had failed .

Who is Atiku?
Ameachi? and co? They are the progressives?

We need continuity to consolidate on gains and progress already made.

If after 4 years they don't meet up. I'll be on the streets calling for even SDP to rule.
Re: Obasanjo And Buhari While Commissioning Warri Refinery In 1978 (Photo) by chibas: 1:23pm On Feb 05, 2015
Aikayy:

Yea, and the same Obasanjo sold them at giveaway prices to Dangote. Thank God for Yara'adua, GEJ's principal.
GEJ never learned from ya'adua(of blessed memory) .
Re: Obasanjo And Buhari While Commissioning Warri Refinery In 1978 (Photo) by lastpage: 1:26pm On Feb 05, 2015
Dreambeat:
Imagine people that ruled us in 1978,36 years after,are still jostling for the one position or the other.Fighting to be politically relevant when they should have groomed the youth to take over.This set of leaders failed the youth of this country,they should be held accountable for their misrule and mismanagement.They should not be celebrated.They mortgaged the future of the youths of today.Little wonder the country is in a mess,we had leaders that were not fore sighted.Unfortunately they are everywhere,Governors,Ministers,Permanent Secretaries.Leaders that never believed that you can write a letter in Nigeria and somebody in the US would receive the message in a twinkle of an eye.We need new faces,we can't continue the same old ways.This is the ACTUAL CHANGE we need.

Which YOUTHS are you talking about?

Is it Youths in just in terms of "AGE/FACE" or Youths in terms of "BRILLIANT IDEAS AND INTELLECT"?

Seriously, which "YOUTHS"?

*Is it the ones that belong to the 41 Laptops group?
*Is it the ones that sign-up to be SA-TANOIDs?
*Is it the ones that carry Cutlass and Machete to kill themselves on the promise of a few Naira Notes, from Politicians?
*Is it the Youths who are only concerned about their own "Stomach Infrastructure" (1 Kongo of Rice and 1Litre of Ground nut Oil)
*Is it the same Youths who dont know their History, talk-less of their Future?
Is it Youths who dont know the difference between a foreign RESERVE of about $60 Billion (at end of OBJ's tenure) and a Foreign DEBT of almost $100 Billion under this Govt?
*Is it the same Youths who in the 21st Century, think it is okay to vote for a failed President simply because he is "My tribe" or will not vote for another because he is "Not my Religion"?
*Is it the same Youths like Tompolo and Asari Dokubo who became Billionaires over-night courtesy of a very corrupt President?
*Is it the same Youths who do "follow-follow My Pastor" and cannot think with their own God-given brains, ...to make a decision that affects them?
*Is it the same Youths who sleep and wake-up in "darkness", without Electricity to achieve their dreams and yet say "All is fine"?
*Is it the same Youths that think SIX YEARS is not enough to build refinery or improve power supply or solve incessant strikes in our educational sector or even repair a major road like the Lagos-Ibadan Express or the Enugu- Port Harcourt road?

I have not seen the YOUTHS you are talking about, .......who are CAPABLE of TAKING OVER POWER AND LEADING THIS COUNTRY!

Granted, most of these things are not 100% their fault because this current Nigerian Govt, especially ensured that the Youths will continue to be "powerless and dependent on crumbs" from the table of their failed elders.

I tell you, the first thing ANY YOUTH who is interested in the PROGRESS OF THIS COUNTRY will do is to ensure that we put in place, a leader who has ZERO-TOLERANCE FOR CORRUPTION......Like Jerry Rawlings did in Ghana.

After then, we can gradually chase-way the "OLD CARGOES".....knowing fully well that we have "capable YOUTH" to continue the nation building process.

Its a "cyclic process": Bad leaders produce bad Youths who depend on the same bad leaders to survive, only to become "bad Leaders" themselves!
But we need to break the cycle at a point, ...by electing a "good leader" even if he is "old", as long as he is not going to produce "bad youths" with his corrupting influence on our Youths.
wink wink

I want the Youths to "take over" but l dont want "bad Youths" to take over since they would be worse than their "bad old cargoes" simply because these "Bad Youths" already have the "advantage and knowledge" of Modern technology at their disposal!

Lastpage!

NB: Abuse me if it makes you happy but the truth has to be said.

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo And Buhari While Commissioning Warri Refinery In 1978 (Photo) by chibas: 1:28pm On Feb 05, 2015
pekeyim:

Who is Atiku?
Ameachi? and co? They are the progressives?

We need continuity to consolidate on gains and progress already made.

If after 4 years they don't meet up. I'll be on the streets calling for even SDP to rule.
another 4years to make it 10?abeg wake,if GEJ had learned from ya'adua(of blessed memory)i believe nigeria would have been a better place,as it stands now i will prefer military rule to this present government.
Re: Obasanjo And Buhari While Commissioning Warri Refinery In 1978 (Photo) by chibas: 1:32pm On Feb 05, 2015
Dreambeat:
Imagine people that ruled us in 1978,36 years after,are still jostling for the one position or the other.Fighting to be politically relevant when they should have groomed the youth to take over.This set of leaders failed the youth of this country,they should be held accountable for their misrule and mismanagement.They should not be celebrated.They mortgaged the future of the youths of today.Little wonder the country is in a mess,we had leaders that were not fore sighted.Unfortunately they are everywhere,Governors,Ministers,Permanent Secretaries.Leaders that never believed that you can write a letter in Nigeria and somebody in the US would receive the message in a twinkle of an eye.We need new faces,we can't continue the same old ways.This is the ACTUAL CHANGE we need.
that is because the present day government has not being impressive.
Re: Obasanjo And Buhari While Commissioning Warri Refinery In 1978 (Photo) by faithin9ja: 1:34pm On Feb 05, 2015
BUHARI DID NOT BUILD ANY REFINERY - he merely commissioned what other people had started.

A lot of people have been circulating false information about the Warri refinery and I decided to carry out a simple research today.
Warri refinery was not built by Obasanjo and Buhari.

In 1974, BEICIP, an international company based in Paris carried out feasibility study on the refinery.
The contract to build the refinery was awarded in 1975 to Snamprogetti Spa of Milan , Italy.
The design capacity of the refinery was 100,000 bpd and the project duration was 30 months
Warri Refinery was commissioned in 1978.

Buhari was Governor of Northeastern State between August 1975 and March 1976, He was not the Minister of Petroleum until Obasanjo regime. Warri is in the Southern part of the country so he cannot claim he built it as Governor of NE.

Obasanjo was not the president at that time. Gowon was president from 1 August 1966 – 29 July 1975.
Murtala Mohammed came afterwards.
At no time was Obasanjo in charge of Petrol ministry during the period the refinery was conceptualised, Buhari was also not Minister of Petroleum so both of them should stop claiming any glory for it. All they did was to cut the tape.

Both of them have had opportunities to build but failed to.
Obasanjo as Head of state between 1976 and 1979.
Buhari as Head of State between 1984 and 1985.
Obasanjo as President and Minister of Petroluem between 1999 and 2007.
Buhari as executive chairman of PTF during the Abacha dictatorship era.

Do not be deceived. A lie told many times tends to become truth. Nigeria has 4 refineries.

Alesa-Eleme (PH 1); built by Shell, construction started 1963 and completed 1965
Warri Refinery; Construction started 1975, completed 1978
Kaduna Refinery; Chiyoda Engineering and Construction Company, awarded by Murtala Mohammed in 1976 and completed in 1979
Port Harcourt 11; awarded by IBB in 1985, completed in 1989

None was awarding during his tenure as Minister, Executive chairman or president.

You can check the links I provided and don't fall for those pictures they claim refineries were commissioned.

http://www.wrpcnnpcng.com/about2.htm
http://www.nnpcgroup.com/nnpcbusiness/subsidiaries/wrpc.aspx
http://www.thisisbuhari.com
Re: Obasanjo And Buhari While Commissioning Warri Refinery In 1978 (Photo) by pekeyim: 1:36pm On Feb 05, 2015
chibas:
another 4years to make it 10?abeg wake,if GEJ had learned from ya'adua(of blessed memory)i believe nigeria would have been a better place,as it stands now i will prefer military rule to this present government.

Dude you think what's happening in the North is unconnected with the fact that some people want power to move to a certain area

Even APC presidential candidates mostly fulfilled this "Born to Rule" Mentality
If we were not @ War (With the Haramite), surely we would have made more progress.

Even regardless we are still moving...

If you know our History You'll understand.

Nigeria has been ruled by the Northerners since 1960 majority of the time, why is it still their turn?

They have most of the Oil Wells, Super Rich Few but Very poor uneducated masses.

Apart from Obj, which was some sort of mistake... after Murtala died, and GEJ after Yar'adua died.

I keep saying Boko Haram fighters are not Spirits, they have Family members!!!
Re: Obasanjo And Buhari While Commissioning Warri Refinery In 1978 (Photo) by chibas: 1:38pm On Feb 05, 2015
Estimable:

Obasanjo,babangida,buhari all have refineries abroad ,that's why our refineries l neva work.....
Rebuilding it means bad market for them, and they won't allow dat.....
mere assumption.
Re: Obasanjo And Buhari While Commissioning Warri Refinery In 1978 (Photo) by Purehuman(m): 1:42pm On Feb 05, 2015
We should stop deceiving ourselves. GMB didn't build any refinery, he was only incharge of the project. He did not touch any infrastructure in 1983-1985. So we should giving glory to who glory isn't meant for.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Davido Rejoices With His Uncle, Ademola Adeleke And Bukola Saraki / Abike Dabiri Knelt Down To Greet Tinubu & Emir Of Kano-photo / Fayose’s Islamic Dress Code In Line With Biblical Injunctions –grand Imam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.