Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,091 members, 7,814,794 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:00 PM

Presidency Shops For Jega’s Replacement - Vanguard News - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Presidency Shops For Jega’s Replacement - Vanguard News (50277 Views)

One Killed As IPOB Members Protest In Onitsha - Vanguard News / Buhari Called For Jega's Sack & Accused INEC Of Corruption In March 2013 / Breaking: Presidency Shops For Jega Replacement (Proof Attached) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Presidency Shops For Jega’s Replacement - Vanguard News by Nobody: 8:25am On Feb 09, 2015
Below are 7 excerpts from Former President Olusegun Obasanjo's autobiography, titled ‘My Watch’.

1. “I remember that in 1978 or 1979 Chief Awolowo visited me while I was military head of state and shared with me how he would always stay at home to attend to the work at hand and only make a private visit to the UK once a year for health reasons if he became president of Nigeria.”

2. “I made it clear to the chief that once he became president of Nigeria, he could have no private visit to anywhere as such. Wherever he would be, he would be on duty, and the totality of his life would be public. I jokingly added that the only privacy he might lay claim to would be when he was at home with Mama Chief H.I.D., and that even then his security staff would be on twenty-four-hour duty.”

3. “The unprepared and unplanned transition from Yar’Adua to Jonathan was a more difficult exercise in some respects. One reason was the ‘cloak and dagger’ manner in which Yar’Adua’s illness was handled. The illness of a President cannot be regarded as private. His health has implications for the security and wellbeing of the nation. For the president and those around him to have attempted strenuously to keep the fact of the severity of his illness from public smacks of ignorance of the enormity of what the job entails and the level of provinciality of their understanding, attitude, and approach.”

4. “Do not believe the president’s words, but should only his actions. The president seems to display the habit of pretending to have no knowledge of the very things he sanctions.”

5. “The news was fairly well-circulated that an elder statesman who formed a close relationship with President Jonathan very early in his presidency came to the conclusion, after six months, that the president has not got what it takes to lead. It was the same elder statesman who reportedly tried to jolt the president into action by telling him that there were five president in Nigeria, and these were his wife the first lady, Diezani, Oduah, Ngozi and the president himself, and that he was the weakest of the five.”

6. “I understand the president tried to make excuses for everyone, but President Jonathan is not too weak to be able to butter his bread and, if necessary, to engage the services of Satan to achieve his self-centered interests on the altar of all else.”

7. “The longest period that I have met one-on-one with the president was for one hour and ten minutes. That whole time, the president talked about nothing that was in the interest of Nigeria; instead he kept pointing out his supposed enemies and various matters that would not serve his interests. I could not stop myself from blurting out: “Mr President, no Nigerian should be your enemy. You have to be like rain falling on good and bad people alike. With that experience, I was not surprised that the president went dancing twenty-four hours after the Nyanya explosion.”
Re: Presidency Shops For Jega’s Replacement - Vanguard News by Frankiss44(m): 8:25am On Feb 09, 2015
spott:

so u think if GEJ those this there are no repercussions?

Speak English son....
Re: Presidency Shops For Jega’s Replacement - Vanguard News by mbulela: 8:26am On Feb 09, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

Prof. Femi Mimiko and his brother, Segun Mimiko, are like the proverbial dog that goes back to its vomit. I was in Oduduwa Hall, OAU, Ile-Ife in 2010 when Femi Mimiko, then a professor in the Political Science delivered an inaugural lecture. In it, he and his brother as well as his cabinet were cursing and dancing to scorn PDP. Now they are now part of it.
Like most Nigerian elite,men who are ruled by their bellies.

1 Like

Re: Presidency Shops For Jega’s Replacement - Vanguard News by Spray(m): 8:26am On Feb 09, 2015
malele:
GEJ is cool, if it was me, i will fire jega replace him with somebody thaT will rig the whole election iN favor of PDP,and nothing will happen.
brainwash clown is at it again
Re: Presidency Shops For Jega’s Replacement - Vanguard News by Frankiss44(m): 8:26am On Feb 09, 2015
malele:

Ur lion has no balls

Abeg help me tell am oh.... APC is a ball less lion that roars without biting

1 Like

Re: Presidency Shops For Jega’s Replacement - Vanguard News by Cuche: 8:27am On Feb 09, 2015
Buhari is on mission Impossible. He should gear up for more persecutions ahead

3 Likes

Re: Presidency Shops For Jega’s Replacement - Vanguard News by bimbor(m): 8:27am On Feb 09, 2015
The move to agree to the postponement of the election by Prof Jega was a very wrong uncalculated move. He caved in to pressure and that was a big misfire!! He should have stood his grounds and accuse the uselsess military of Mutiny, that would have been a more dramatic twist where all Nigerians would have stood behind him. Now their plans for postponing the elections is beginning to materialise!!!

But resolute we stand behind this democracy...Jonathan ma te!!!

1 Like

Re: Presidency Shops For Jega’s Replacement - Vanguard News by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 8:27am On Feb 09, 2015
if only there was a way to disqualify both GEJ and buhari.
that's the only solution to all these issues

1 Like

Re: Presidency Shops For Jega’s Replacement - Vanguard News by maclatunji: 8:28am On Feb 09, 2015
mbulela:
Very funny article.
There is some basic intelligence accorded to mammals. I ascribe that minimum intelligence to GEJ. Hr cannot sink this low. The day he executes any of these two options, I am buying a ticket out of this place,so the inferno can consume he and his obese wife in my absence.
I don't think this article is even worth discussing.

He is actually actively working towards achieving them. He wants to test Nigerians, I actually pity him.
Re: Presidency Shops For Jega’s Replacement - Vanguard News by Aarenaija: 8:28am On Feb 09, 2015
this guy will end up destroying the remaining goodwill
He has with the people.

Let him try it.
clueless man
Re: Presidency Shops For Jega’s Replacement - Vanguard News by Nobody: 8:28am On Feb 09, 2015
GARRIx7:

Where is your sense??
the guy sense still dey yabaleft
Re: Presidency Shops For Jega’s Replacement - Vanguard News by abadebaba: 8:30am On Feb 09, 2015
spott:
By Soni Daniel, Regional Editor, North

ABUJA — With the successful postponement of the elections by the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, the Presidency has launched a two-pronged war to ensure that President Goodluck Jonathan wins the election convincingly.
Anambra Supplementary Election: INEC Chairman Prof. Attahiru Jega addressing pressmen , announcing November 30 for Supplementary election at Anambra State while National Commissioner Lawrence Nwuruku looks on in Abuja. Photo by Gbemiga Olamikan.

The two strategies are to stop Muhammadu Buhari, the All Progressives Congress candidate from contesting the election with Jonathan and the replacement of the INEC Chairman, Prof Attahiru Jega, with a less independent-minded person. Jega, it was gathered, had been described by hawks around the president of being too independent-minded and ‘uncooperative’ despite being given the job on a platter of gold by the president’s men.
Vanguard learnt that Jega might have unwittingly played into the hands of the forces arrayed against him by agreeing to shift the elections.

Legal war to disqualify Buhari

Competent sources said last night that the move to remove Jega and the legal fireworks against Buhari, would be taken up simultaneously with effect from this week given the timeframe made possible by the shift.

The retired general is to be prosecuted by a team of legal luminaries for ‘lying on oath’ that he had a school certificate with the Nigerian Army when he knew that it was untrue. The plaintiffs are said to have settled for trying Buhari for alleged ‘perjury’ instead of outright non-possession of certificate following legal advice that the latter would be more difficult to prove within the time at their disposal.

Vanguard learnt that although Jega reluctantly succumbed to pressure from the Presidency and its security chiefs to shift the polls, he might still not be allowed by the forces to conduct the rescheduled elections between March 28 and April 11.

Vanguard gathered from competent sources that the Presidency was no longer comfortable with Jega and was, therefore, working tirelessly to get him out of the commission to pave the way for a more ‘trusted hand’ to conduct the rescheduled elections.

It was learnt that the forces arrayed against the INEC boss had convinced the President not to renew Jega’s tenure, which is expected to lapse on June 13 this year. The forces, it was learnt, felt that Jega was rather too ‘difficult’ to deal with, having not allowed himself to be dictated to by anyone since assuming office like other appointees of the government.

It was learnt that in a bid to sweep off Jega from his seat without raising any dust, he would be asked to comply with the civil service procedure by proceeding on his three months terminal leave with effect from March 1, this year since he is expected to retire on June 13.

S-West gov’s brother may replace Jega

Vanguard gathered that in his place, the Presidency was considering bringing in another academic from the South-West, who is currently heading a tertiary institution in the country. The professor of Political Science and International Relations is said to be a sibling of a serving governor in the South-West, who is a close ally of President Goodluck Jonathan and his party.
Competent sources also told Vanguard last night that although the name of the academic had been made known in security circles, it was not clear whether the man had been cleared by the forces with a view to sending his name to the National Assembly for possible confirmation, as required by law.
Working against Jonathan’s interest

As a prelude to removing Jega from office, some close allies of the President had started accusing him of taking side with the opposition to undermine the success of Jonathan and his party in the next election. Earlier last week, Jonathan’s godfather, Chief Edwin Clark and other prominent politicians from the Southern part of the country had accused Jega of working against the interest of the president and the PDP and asked him to resign from the commission.

Although no evidence was adduced by Clark and his group to support their allegation, they nonetheless called for the arrest of Jega. Similarly, Senior Special Assistant to the President on Public Affairs, Dr. Doyin Okupe, on Saturday, said Jega had lied about the state of the commission’s preparedness for the conduct of the election.

In the same vein, the National Publicity Secretary of the PDP, Mr. Olisa Metuh, accused INEC of working with the opposition to deny its members of permanent voter cards in some states. He called on the security agents to probe the commission over the development.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/02/presidency-shops-jegas-replacement/
Re: Presidency Shops For Jega’s Replacement - Vanguard News by fyneboi79(m): 8:30am On Feb 09, 2015
malele:
GEJ is cool, if it was me, i will fire jega replace him with somebody thaT will rig the whole election iN favor of PDP,and nothing will happen.
Na dat thunder wey dey fire ur family from generation to generation dey make you talk like this grin
Re: Presidency Shops For Jega’s Replacement - Vanguard News by falopey: 8:31am On Feb 09, 2015
mamajohn:
This is the man who had been penciled down for the ignoble job. A professor of Political Science and International Relation, Former VC of Ondo State owned Adekunle Ajasin University and younger brother of the State governor. His name is Prof Nazim Olufemi Mimiko.

But the guy looks pretty well like Jega himself. Huhmmm... what an option
Re: Presidency Shops For Jega’s Replacement - Vanguard News by tushd(m): 8:32am On Feb 09, 2015
The polity in Nigeria is getting hot by the day..
power drunk people would not realize what this would result if it does happen,civil war is inevitable

Just like the last biafra war.. It is the north and the sw fighting againSt the middle belt and the east..it started like this also

The funny thing is that gej is prepared for this, he moved the military headquarters from the north to the east already and following the obasanjo story of the presidency training snipers and machinery the country I pray won't plunge to its darkest moment after the biafra war

Please I advise people to be security conscious and I guess America's prediction is coming to pass after all

Nigeria breaks 2015
Re: Presidency Shops For Jega’s Replacement - Vanguard News by aisammy4: 8:32am On Feb 09, 2015
spott:
GEJ IS A DISGRACE... SIMPLE

[b]MARCH IN BUHARI AND MARCH OUT GEJ
THE FREEDOM "MARCH" -
They said he is not electable. Now that it's time to put their claim to test, they are running pillar to post trying to stop the only test that will prove them right or wrong.
They said Nigerians love Jonathan. Now that it's time for Nigerians to show how much they love him, the are afraid to subject him to public test.
They said Nigerians want continuity not change. Now that it's time for Nigerians to speak in favor of continuity or change, they wouldn't let Nigerians make their choices.
They said he's a military despot while they are democrats yet, he want elections and they hate elections.
They said their reason for the shift is to secure Nigeria from Boko Haram. How could they make Nigeria secure enough for elections in few weeks when they couldn't secure it in 5 years?
They said he is dishonest and they are honest yet, he always keep his words while they always break their promises.
We said they are clueless and they said they are prepared yet, it took them a week to elections to realize Nigeria is a security mess that need the concentration of the armed forces to be cleaned at the expense of a promising general election.
They said Nigeria is safe yet, "unsafe" Afghanistan, Iraq and Sudan conducted credible elections where a "safe" Nigeria failed.
Be it February or March, a bad government will remain a bad government that must be sacked. No matter how long you delay the burial of a corpse, the dead never return.
KEEP THE HOPE ALIVE
#MARCH4BUHARI[/b]

I support U Trillion Trillion times
Re: Presidency Shops For Jega’s Replacement - Vanguard News by bimbor(m): 8:32am On Feb 09, 2015
This is why we have been clamouring for State Police!!!
Re: Presidency Shops For Jega’s Replacement - Vanguard News by obaobirin: 8:33am On Feb 09, 2015
jennyo:
I don't believe it .He can't be that desperate

Jenno.. dat guy his desperate. The law suit against Buhari starting today has been prodded financially by the presidency with the sum 2billion naira for/ tp the judge presiding over the case and also with a promise of immediate relocation out of the country to dubai once hr pronounce GMB ineligible for the poll.

Is that a desperate act?

All the same we'll #MARCHBUHARITOASOROCK
Re: Presidency Shops For Jega’s Replacement - Vanguard News by annurhaske(m): 8:33am On Feb 09, 2015
This will eventually cause civil war.

Why will this country not be
Divided? If This will continues like this.
Re: Presidency Shops For Jega’s Replacement - Vanguard News by Cuche: 8:34am On Feb 09, 2015
PerfectlyPerfect:
if only there was a way to disqualify both GEJ and buhari.
that's the only solution to all these issues

Seconded. Both are bent on causing Kata kata but of the duo I will vote Jona. Since Jona became President Buhari and his group has not allowed him the peace needed to lead the country. Why must it always be Buhari

1 Like

Re: Presidency Shops For Jega’s Replacement - Vanguard News by Nobody: 8:34am On Feb 09, 2015
judiciarypalava:
I have known JEGA is biased in his conduct since his plans to establish more 30,000 polling units in the North was foiled.

Well, the 30000 new units would have been sited in the North....which includes the Middle Belt. The FCT was set to get a large number.

It isn't only Hausas who live up North....you know. Minority tribes...including many that are pro PDP and lots of Southerners live up North.

JEGA has been accused of receiving 15 laptops to assist the North in their registration

Only 15 Laptops? Really?

So...rigging will happen with just 15 laptops??

He has been accused of conniving with the powers that be in the North to rig the election in Buhari's favour, hence the need for the recent reshuffling of state resident commissioners. So that the 'born to rules' will take over again.

First......state resident commissioners are always reshuffled before any election...as are Police commissioners.Plus....remember Gov Duke's disclosures in 2010 about how state governors connive with SEC's to rig? Jega is to be commended for closing that loophole.

On the born to rule....Buhari may win because his party was better at building bridges. PDP on the other hand isn't. (And look at how they botched the reconciliation efforts).

JEGA as been accused of relaxing the rules on collection of PVC's in the North by making use of the village heads to distribute some, hence the reason while the troubled states in the North will record higher % in collection more than some peaceful states in the South.

Well....Northerners have been more mobilised to collect PVC'S. So far the only governors who have declared public holidays for PVC collection have been APC guys.How many of your Southern governors (apart from Lagos) have been serious about PVC collection.
Let's face it....the North is really serious about this election.

JEGA has been accused of denying the Ibos of their PVC's as it ws on GMB's perception that because of his role during the Biafran war, that Ibos are gearing to pay him back. He claimed it was due to loss of data.

Unless you have actual proof that Jega has been denying Igbos their PVC's....I would have to take the above assertion as a fib.

Imagine how many people that have been disenfranchised due to lack of personnel during this last registration in the South. Were as, a close friend of mine in the North had himself registered with out much stress. A situation were a polling station serving the almighty UNIBEN community was moved to merge with another polling station (Olukwu primary school) some kilometres away from the school with only one person manning the only laptop for the registration. The crowd there as at the last day was something else.

There have been similar issues up North (Someone from Kaduna spent one week to collect his PVC. ) Again....this is where I would criticse Jega well well....it boils down to our fire brigade approach to things. Also...your PDP govt did not fund INEC projects on time....Jega at one time over a year ago complained about lack of adequate funds.

Upon all the allegations, JEGA has not debunked any.

Yes...probably because he sees no merit in them. Yes?

And l ask, truly has JEGA been compromised? No wonder the APC has been agitating for the election to hold as planned no matter what the situation is, after all, they have perfected their game plan

If Jega was APC....how do you explain Ekiti state going to the PDP? Or the other elections conducted under his watch that have gone to the PDP.?.
In fact, l suspect international conspiracy considering US and UK's comment on the election postponement.

Utter bosh. The real reason is the incompetence of INEC . and the refusal of PDP govt to fund INEC on time. Not the US or the UK....who benefit more from a united Nigeria than from a disunited one (High oil prices anyone?).

This is our country and we will build it ourselves.

Yes, and i daresay without tribalisim.

God bless Nigeria.

Amen.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidency Shops For Jega’s Replacement - Vanguard News by annurhaske(m): 8:35am On Feb 09, 2015
#gmb2015

1 Like

Re: Presidency Shops For Jega’s Replacement - Vanguard News by jaylister(m): 8:35am On Feb 09, 2015
GARRIx7:

Where is your sense??
if u ar in that position that is exactly wat u wil do
Re: Presidency Shops For Jega’s Replacement - Vanguard News by Frankiss44(m): 8:36am On Feb 09, 2015
Jesusloveyou:
gej is d one having heart attack,he can't do anything,he can't escape this defect.

Dream on....

1 Like

Re: Presidency Shops For Jega’s Replacement - Vanguard News by Brightology2(m): 8:36am On Feb 09, 2015
malele:
u re so in spirit.i will mk sure d jaga jaga of an aboki guy is sacked

2 Likes

Re: Presidency Shops For Jega’s Replacement - Vanguard News by abadebaba: 8:37am On Feb 09, 2015
SHLD DS TORY B TRU N REAL DN NOTHIN IS REAL ABT INEC.ALL D FUSE ABT INDEPENDENTNEC AINT TRU
spott:
By Soni Daniel, Regional Editor, North

ABUJA — With the successful postponement of the elections by the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, the Presidency has launched a two-pronged war to ensure that President Goodluck Jonathan wins the election convincingly.
Anambra Supplementary Election: INEC Chairman Prof. Attahiru Jega addressing pressmen , announcing November 30 for Supplementary election at Anambra State while National Commissioner Lawrence Nwuruku looks on in Abuja. Photo by Gbemiga Olamikan.

The two strategies are to stop Muhammadu Buhari, the All Progressives Congress candidate from contesting the election with Jonathan and the replacement of the INEC Chairman, Prof Attahiru Jega, with a less independent-minded person. Jega, it was gathered, had been described by hawks around the president of being too independent-minded and ‘uncooperative’ despite being given the job on a platter of gold by the president’s men.
Vanguard learnt that Jega might have unwittingly played into the hands of the forces arrayed against him by agreeing to shift the elections.

Legal war to disqualify Buhari

Competent sources said last night that the move to remove Jega and the legal fireworks against Buhari, would be taken up simultaneously with effect from this week given the timeframe made possible by the shift.

The retired general is to be prosecuted by a team of legal luminaries for ‘lying on oath’ that he had a school certificate with the Nigerian Army when he knew that it was untrue. The plaintiffs are said to have settled for trying Buhari for alleged ‘perjury’ instead of outright non-possession of certificate following legal advice that the latter would be more difficult to prove within the time at their disposal.

Vanguard learnt that although Jega reluctantly succumbed to pressure from the Presidency and its security chiefs to shift the polls, he might still not be allowed by the forces to conduct the rescheduled elections between March 28 and April 11.

Vanguard gathered from competent sources that the Presidency was no longer comfortable with Jega and was, therefore, working tirelessly to get him out of the commission to pave the way for a more ‘trusted hand’ to conduct the rescheduled elections.

It was learnt that the forces arrayed against the INEC boss had convinced the President not to renew Jega’s tenure, which is expected to lapse on June 13 this year. The forces, it was learnt, felt that Jega was rather too ‘difficult’ to deal with, having not allowed himself to be dictated to by anyone since assuming office like other appointees of the government.

It was learnt that in a bid to sweep off Jega from his seat without raising any dust, he would be asked to comply with the civil service procedure by proceeding on his three months terminal leave with effect from March 1, this year since he is expected to retire on June 13.

S-West gov’s brother may replace Jega

Vanguard gathered that in his place, the Presidency was considering bringing in another academic from the South-West, who is currently heading a tertiary institution in the country. The professor of Political Science and International Relations is said to be a sibling of a serving governor in the South-West, who is a close ally of President Goodluck Jonathan and his party.
Competent sources also told Vanguard last night that although the name of the academic had been made known in security circles, it was not clear whether the man had been cleared by the forces with a view to sending his name to the National Assembly for possible confirmation, as required by law.
Working against Jonathan’s interest

As a prelude to removing Jega from office, some close allies of the President had started accusing him of taking side with the opposition to undermine the success of Jonathan and his party in the next election. Earlier last week, Jonathan’s godfather, Chief Edwin Clark and other prominent politicians from the Southern part of the country had accused Jega of working against the interest of the president and the PDP and asked him to resign from the commission.

Although no evidence was adduced by Clark and his group to support their allegation, they nonetheless called for the arrest of Jega. Similarly, Senior Special Assistant to the President on Public Affairs, Dr. Doyin Okupe, on Saturday, said Jega had lied about the state of the commission’s preparedness for the conduct of the election.

In the same vein, the National Publicity Secretary of the PDP, Mr. Olisa Metuh, accused INEC of working with the opposition to deny its members of permanent voter cards in some states. He called on the security agents to probe the commission over the development.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/02/presidency-shops-jegas-replacement/
Re: Presidency Shops For Jega’s Replacement - Vanguard News by bundur(m): 8:38am On Feb 09, 2015
GEJ already romancing with fire
Re: Presidency Shops For Jega’s Replacement - Vanguard News by Oduduwaboy(m): 8:38am On Feb 09, 2015
GEJ is just a criminal ; he will Still be tried for treason for allowing militants to buy warships for use against the fatherland by Tompolo!
Re: Presidency Shops For Jega’s Replacement - Vanguard News by 2oby: 8:39am On Feb 09, 2015
I guess d shopping is done in ONDO state n in Adekunle Ajasin University Akungba, d vc is brother to d incumbent gov. D vc shows no interest to renew his continuity as vc wc is abt to end.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

CNN Shares Lekki Shooting Video: EndSARS / Fire Destroys Oladipo Diya's House In Lagos State (Photos) / Governor El-rufai Eating Sugarcane (pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.