Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,149 members, 7,815,022 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:05 AM

New Helmet Rule In Lagos - Car Talk (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / New Helmet Rule In Lagos (15704 Views)

New FRSC Rule On Drivers License / Share Your Helmet Experiences Here! Whether Good Bad Or Ugly! / Helmet In Lagos: He Disappeared! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by onyx79(m): 1:26pm On Jan 10, 2009
My take on this is that this is all cosmetic surgery.
A lot of action and motion on things that are the least of our worries. This is what it means to major in minors and minor in majors. There are a lot of desperate, foundational issues affecting Nigeria as a nation, and a helmet is where to begin?
Talk about expending efforts in the wrong direction. Doing a right thing at an awfully wrong time. I rest my case.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by pope11: 1:35pm On Jan 10, 2009
Wearing of helmet for the okada drivers is a good move but for the passengers I think healthwise is a major concern for it's not everybody that can afford to buy/ carry helmet around now. We need a review of this good policy.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by kingboy(m): 2:23pm On Jan 10, 2009
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos (please read and pass on)

I am suprised people are jumping at this stupid law without considering the health implications of this policy. Nigeria is a perculiar country and it cannot be even compared to india, bangladesh or thailand where you have a lot of motor cycles running around supported by rick shaws. Nigeria practically made Okada riding an Art. 85% of the Okada riders are peasants or people living below the poverty level with very very low of hygenie. Now Okada rider would have his own personal Helmet which isnt a problem because he wont share it with any one, but what about a daily routine that starts at 5am when the "ELERAN GUY" is going to deliver the first batch of meat with blood soaked hands and sweat and passes the same Helmet to the "Eleja", who passes it to the Mechanic and by 7am the fine marketer who works for probably Zenith bank with all her hair made up to wow her clients, share this same helmet.

Imagine how many people with dubious hygenic issues will wear this same helmet all day from conductor to those spitting Mallams for a whole week.

After one week, there would be a rising case of guniea worm, lice infection, ezcema, ring worm, lapa lapa and a host of horrible diseases that no one is ready to even dream about. Who cares if you are financially okay to solve the medical issue? Probably next week, you would be visiting your doctor again to treat you for another disease passed unto you by a vulcanizer in Ajegunle.

This is a government complaining that it doesnt have the funds to fund the health sector properly. Now it has decided to trigger of a time bomb of health issues. Listening to the arguments of the FRSC, is so lame and strawman in it approach. They argue that it is to protect the safety of the passenger against head injuries and accidents, but on a cursory look, we realise that most Okada injuries arent caused only through head injuries but through broken legs, injured elbows, scratches and wounds through your back or belly or exhaust pipe wounds close to your feet.

Nobody is hearing anything about buying shin guards to protect the knees or elbow. What about families that rely on Okada to take their kids around? I have seen a family of 5 on an okada before. Father, mother, 2 children and a baby child. Is the baby not also entitled to wear a helmet too? Are the 2 little children not entitled to wear Helmets too?

What about school children? Both dirty and clean ones. The dirty boys play footbal all day in school with dusty feets and sweaty clothes and still use these same okada and helmet that an oil worker in chevron would still use to get home!

What manner of intelligence is this? Can the Nigerian Nation survive an impending Health epidermic when we are even struggling to keep in check the health problems that confront us?

Also this nonsense of talk of buying your own personal helmet and carrying it around as a fashion fad is ludicrious to say the least? When women have weddings, they should carry their helmets and the present together and wear the Helmet ontop of the gele? Bankers should carry helmet around when marketing to the offices of clients as if they are pizza delievery boys? Students Should carry their bags and helmet to school together because it is an extra curricular activity?

What if you go to work with your own helmet and it gets stolen? who will share Helmet with you? You are stuck with the Lapa Lapa infested Helmet that you will involuntarily pass to your family members and your family members can be so kind to share with you the lastest bout of ring worm that they recieved from shukura the garbage man?

I am scared of Nigeria now!
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Pennywise(m): 2:41pm On Jan 10, 2009
No need to get hypertension over helmet matter. It will soon blow away.

I have seen at least 2 helmet regimes. In the meantime, just dont get caught not wearing one. This new year, our men in uniform eye dey chook well well. I don see them. Some pple like OBJ have even predicted that things will get worse. We need to be wise. Wear helmet.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by efeboy(m): 11:37pm On Jan 10, 2009
Did y'all notice that this okada riders are giving passengers HARD HATS to wear ? cheesy

I think they should be prosecuted if they are found guilty of giving passengers or wearing HARD HATS. angry
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by efeboy(m): 11:40pm On Jan 10, 2009
Helmet ? One of the fine developments NIGERIA is going to enjoy probably for some time.

However, please I am begging everyone to be careful and be mindful of the fact that we are living in NIGERIA not

any other country talk much of a western country.

in case u forget, this na NIJA
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by NKOYOETTE: 7:33pm On Jan 11, 2009
The use of helmet is good for bike riders and their passengers, Nigerian should see this effort and appreciate it, we should use it because it is for our own safety grin and its also the right thing to do, we should also be worried about other parts of our body that could be hurt if accident occurs like the ankles etc for now we should please use the HELMETS!!!!!!

Its not our portion to be used for any form of ritual, so please lets ruled that out, For hygiene, cover your head with a shower cap ladies, men handkerchief or face towel, use your helmets. grin grin grin shocked grin shocked
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by na2day2(m): 8:10pm On Jan 11, 2009
HELMET palava grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Nobody: 9:55pm On Jan 11, 2009
^^^ That picture's been posted to death.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Everestto: 8:47am On Jan 12, 2009
Helmets have always been part of cycling. Before the advent of OKADA riding, motorcyclists had always worn crash helmets. I can recall the quality of helmets worn in the 80's. What these mumu okada people riders are providing for their passengers are either construction helmets or mere melon shells.

I dont blame any passenger who chooses to hold the helmet in the hand because we all know those stuff wont offer any protection in times of crash.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by cabali(m): 4:27pm On Jan 13, 2009
I dont seem to get arouund where to buy a really good helment. I dont mean the one that comes with a power bike suit. Just a small but safe one and for how much?
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by cabali(m): 4:31pm On Jan 13, 2009
Siena:

^^^ That picture's been posted to death.

I dont know what the hell it is with that picture. why dont they keep it to themselves already
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Nobody: 10:23pm On Jan 13, 2009
cabali:

I don't know what the hell it is with that picture. why don't they keep it to themselves already
LOL, why he dey sting you so bad?
Na u be the okada driver? grin grin grin
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by jeffoski(m): 12:59pm On Jan 14, 2009
NA WA O TOO MUCH OF EVERYTHING IS NOT GOOD STOP POSTING THAT PICTURE, AT FIRST IT WAS REALLY FUNNY BUT NOW IS BECOMING ANNOYING.LOOK FOR ANOTHER FUNNY PICTURES TO POST THAT WILL BE BETTER AND FUN.
BUT PEOPLE BE CAREFUL O ABOUT THIS HELMET THING I THOUGHT BY NOW THE WHOLE THING WOULD HAVE COOL DOWN BUT FOR WHERE E STILL DEY THAT IS JUST TO TELL YOU SAY THEY REALLY WANT TO BE RICH BY ALL MEANS IF YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT I MEAN JUST BE CAREFUL.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Nobody: 5:10pm On Jan 14, 2009
^^ ^^ ^^ undecided
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by irawo16(m): 6:53pm On Jan 15, 2009
i have agreed to buy mine own personal helment,but suddenly i got to the market it got increased.now helment cost 7000 naira.what do we do about these as well.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Nobody: 6:54pm On Jan 15, 2009
^^^ That's for you to sort out with your sellers.

The cost doesn't alter the law.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by beecrofty(m): 2:23pm On Jan 22, 2009
@charlisco

ur emails hidden, i need you to contact me

@ post

Its for your safety.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by d1maff: 9:50pm On Jan 23, 2009
i'ts all about consumer preference.So i think
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by cabali(m): 9:49am On Jan 27, 2009
I had to buy my own helmet and it is so cute I wanna wear it even while I am driving grin

and yeah, it cost my a lil' over ten grand
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by ronyboy: 9:47am On Jun 21, 2021
Thanks for sharing this with me Bern Helmets Collection

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Car Tips: Keys To A Long-lasting Vehicle / How God Saved Me From A Car Fire Incident. Lessons And Tips. / Car Caught Fire In Awka, Near Central Bank By 6:12pm Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.