Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,268 members, 7,815,450 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:38 PM

New Helmet Rule In Lagos - Car Talk (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / New Helmet Rule In Lagos (15708 Views)

New FRSC Rule On Drivers License / Share Your Helmet Experiences Here! Whether Good Bad Or Ugly! / Helmet In Lagos: He Disappeared! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by wunmilyn(f): 2:08pm On Jan 08, 2009
its a very good ideal
but the annoying part of it, is dat of the increase in the price of dis helmet
b/f it was sold for N1000-1,500

but now is btw N5,000-9,000
and this okada riders are seriusly complaining.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by jeffoski(m): 4:12pm On Jan 08, 2009
Na wa o i just read every post and i can't just stop laughing.Where did you guys get all this funny pictures they are really something.
Anyway is a good idea that the helmet was introduced for our safety but let's call a spade a spade and really look into this thing well o.Nigeria is a great country where alot of wonderful things happen.We do things at times without thinking twice and no matter what you do there are always two sides to it.
Like some posters ,is it only the head that needs protection? what about the other parts of the body?they are just shouting helmet helmet as if wearing it guarantees 100% is only God that saves after all person wey dey moto dey die sef is just a matter of being careful and not speeding to much.I wonder why people can't see the negative effect of this Helmet thing because from all observation the negative effect is more that the positive.
@Lawyer
you made a perfect point and said it all i really like the way you explained the whole disease thing.But the one that is really scary is the one of ritual.Nigeria is not helping in providing employment or job opportunities for people instead the government is just making things hard and people must survive This has lead to the increase in crime.Even the arm robbers now no dey see people rob because everybody dey hustle and nobody dey keep money for house again or carry money about thank God for ATM
Just imagine a scenario where one person put a helmet on the head and discovers he or she can't move and the bike man is taking you to God knows where.And you are passing people on the way who don't know what is happening at all or you put it on and something disappears in your body or you disappear yourself.will the Federal Govt or FRSC save you or restore your lost organ this is not something we should not toy with at all and look into it well.
If is another country that is saying they should use helmet there will be no problem but when it's Nigeria heyyyyyyyyyy Coma dey ooooooooo and know that some of this govt official do ritual to hold their post too.

Please people if you must wear helmet go to a Strong Fire Brand Church and let them pray for you(you can give them a handkerchief to pray on so that you can put it on your head before you wear the helmet)very well and aniote your head,or if you can afford buying one and carrying it with you anywhere you are going that will be fine.If you can't do any of this ones then shine your eyes well and any Okada man that look suspicious or the one you don't feel comfortable with tell him to take of his own helmet and wear the one his giving to you(but i think option1 and 2 is better)Please people be very careful.Pray and Shine your Eyes because many Okada men now go soon they build house and buy Big motor.I would have said they should just remove them from the road but the govt will not make alternative for them and they too have to survive.Inshort Nigeria is Survive for the fitest or should i say for the sharpest.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Nobody: 5:10pm On Jan 08, 2009
Personally, it's post like the above, that make folk ask:

"Is it safe to travel to Nigeria?"
When people ask such questions, then you get all defensive, some actually abuse the poster.
I'm Nigerian myself, and if I believed in all this talk of witches and wizards, I'd put Nigeria on my "no-go area" list.

I lived in Nigeria for 14 years, mixed with all sorts of people, and never "dissappeared", or ended up in a soup pot.

If you guys actually believe in all this talk of "juju / witchcraft", you might as well stop using public transport, as the seats have been "cursed", or the ladies might as well stop going to the salon, as going under the hair driers is likely to make them "dissappear".

Hasn't it occured to you guys that Nigerians are "selectively superstitious?"
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by TPS360: 5:34pm On Jan 08, 2009
as a health care provider, I must confess that I am deeply worried about this new "rule", Did the lagos government put INFECTION CONTROL into consideration before enacting this law?, undecided
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Nobody: 5:47pm On Jan 08, 2009
The government didn't say you shouldn't buy your own proper helmet either.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Infoseye(m): 6:38pm On Jan 08, 2009
Good decision made, Ibadan is also waking up to this call, next should be the old damaged buses we see around
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Magz(m): 10:45pm On Jan 08, 2009
The health implications are very frightening to say the least. shocked

Will you fight this law? Can you fight this law? What will happen if you do fight this law?
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by toideve(m): 11:07pm On Jan 08, 2009
a welcome development it is,
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by bettes(f): 11:18pm On Jan 08, 2009
Siena:

Personally, it's post like the above, that make folk ask:

"Is it safe to travel to Nigeria?"
When people ask such questions, then you get all defensive, some actually abuse the poster.
I'm Nigerian myself, and if I believed in all this talk of witches and wizards, I'd put Nigeria on my "no-go area" list.

I lived in Nigeria for 14 years, mixed with all sorts of people, and never "dissappeared", or ended up in a soup pot.

If you guys actually believe in all this talk of "juju / witchcraft", you might as well stop using public transport, as the seats have been "cursed", or the ladies might as well stop going to the salon, as going under the hair driers is likely to make them "dissappear".

Hasn't it occured to you guys that Nigerians are "selectively superstitious?"
[color=#000099][/color]

If foreigner asks me i'll tell them the gospel truth,that it isnt.
I have lived in nigeria most of my life as well and i never been swindled,but does it mean 419ners dont exist.
Sometime last year a friend a boarded a commercial bus from festac and after boarding the bus he found himself in apapa 2days after,with no memory of how he got there,his phones,money(i think just 5k) and laptop had been stolen.What would you call that?
I have heard several similar stories ,one of which my own mum was involved(she just got back from the uk).
You been saying all day that you've lived in nigeria for 14yrs,i don't know how long ago you left naija but there are actually people who have lived here all their lives and are still living here so 14yrs is relatively small
You come down and stay for whole a year then you'll probably understand why people are skeptical about using the helmet.
Lastly i most point out that it is more important to stop reckless riding than introducing the usage of helmets.
Most of the riders,learn how to ride in a matter of hours.
Or are you saying it doesnt matter whether a driver (using cars as an example) can drive or not as long, as he/she wear their seat belts they are safe.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Nobody: 11:43pm On Jan 08, 2009
^^^ I'm saying nothing of the sort, Bettes.

Would you as a passenger, refuse to wear your seatbelt, because the driver's not proficient enough in driving?

I feel folk need to worry about their own safety, and let the taxi bike rider worry about how he complies with the law.
If you have any suspicion that the rider's a kamee-kazee rider, then the wise option would be not to use that particular taxi bike.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by kadman(m): 11:49pm On Jan 08, 2009
Only in Lagos. . .

Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by kadman(m): 11:50pm On Jan 08, 2009
Only in Lagos. . .
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by chyk91(m): 12:53am On Jan 09, 2009
lagos na wa o grin
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by cabali(m): 9:47am On Jan 09, 2009
Well inasmuch as it is a welcome development, it's come with health risks. It isnt healthy to share helments across a state especially lagos where we have all sorts. So a person who hasnt taken a bath for 2 days will put it on for 5 mins and someone just freshened up puts it on on the way to work? It is irritating to think of it.

It is then advisable to buy yours even it it is a sort of extra baggage. I am sure the amount of people taking bikes will drop for a while. I, for instance have not sat on a bike since the beginning of the year. I hope to get my own helment when I know I cant bear it anymore.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by cabali(m): 9:55am On Jan 09, 2009
And pls eniogh of the helment pix already, we have over a dozen of it on this thread, we get the picture
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Hotstepper(f): 10:09am On Jan 09, 2009
I am currently in Lagos and I love the idea but trust me, these OKADA ppl gives Construction workers helmet to the passengers, I think other states have adopted it as well like Anambra or perhaphs, I know Nnewi Okadas are

I must confess that Lagos state government is doing well, chai, lagos state is CLEANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by manukolo: 10:12am On Jan 09, 2009
Its very important that the law enforcement agents begin to make this work. The best people will be the police.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Ify2excel: 11:10am On Jan 09, 2009
That Naija is adopting a compulsory wearing of crash helments at this belated time in human civilisation is bad enough. What leaves me befuddled is that passengers are very reluctant to accept the welcome development which is in their own best interest. Their excuse range from spread of infection to charmed helments! They only sue the helments on sighting a police officer or FRSC official . Wetin dem no know be say accident fit happen b4 dem get the chance to wear the helment wey dem hold 4 hand. Nothing we no go hear 4 dis naija. Imagine bikemen wey dey jazz helment so dat their passenger go disappear for money ritual purposes! Na God i take beg FRSC make dem try enforce the crash helment tin though with some restraint as it had obviously given the police and agberos another tool 4 extortion.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Kaestro(m): 11:47am On Jan 09, 2009
I guess we saw this coming.What a ridicule specifically put in that section.

Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by fantacie(f): 11:59am On Jan 09, 2009
the thing almost disgraced itself not me this morning as it fell off my head while we rode, immediately it happend abt three area boys rushed and seized the helmet, and demanded 1,000, at  the end they managed to take 500 after all the plea and delay. i ended up paying double fare to the bike man who blamed me for everything.

govt should stop them from using all those helmet used by engineers bc it barely covers the head.

all the same the introduction of helmet is not a bad idea but people should be careful.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by hotpot(f): 12:23pm On Jan 09, 2009
This idea of Helmet rule in Lagos wont work i bet you guys!!!!!!!!!!!! I can imagine people wearing a dried pumpkin shells. LOL :-)
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by ebony4life(f): 1:18pm On Jan 09, 2009
The Helmet policy is actually laudable, but those Okada men should use the original helmet and not all those JUlius Berger helmet. smiley

A reason I won't pity any Okada man complaining of the hike in price of helmet  angrynow is because, they've known of the helmet thingy since last year when the price was relatively cheap when they should have gotten theirs but instead they waited till the Govt made true their warning from the 1st day of the year, thereby making them run helter-skelter for ''cheap helmets'.

I want to ask a question, is the helmet not supposed to be one  of the accessories found  on a brand new bike?
But because all the 'Koras discovered that we didn't give a heck about it, began to sell it apart. The Govt. should instruct all  those selling bikes Suzuki & Co. to begin to add the helmet as a major acccessory on a bike.
I can't imagine paying close to N150,000 on a brand new bike and not get a helmet! angry

An advice to all bike users is to use a Scarf as a lady and facecap or handkerchief as a guy to avoid all the "germintobies" till you get ur helmet because we Lagosians especially have become so dependent on bikes.

Truthfully, since the bike helmet thingy grin I avoid late hour rush that will want to make me opt for a bike as a fast means, so now I trek sure loose some calories or take a bus/cab, and begin to tolerate the 'go slow. Ha Ha!

E go beta sha.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by fe32(m): 6:14pm On Jan 09, 2009
omo, he don happen, tory don dey spread for lagos, ritualist are at it again, use helmet and vamooosee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! , please be careful or get ur own
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by jeffoski(m): 7:03pm On Jan 09, 2009
God bless you Bettes Is people like you that say the truth no matter what.as for Siena i don't have much to say you have only stayed 14years In Nigeria and am sure you don't use public transport or move around alot because if you do you'll know what am trying to say .Anyway,people just becareful everyone want to make it this year through any means and some okada riders will be willing to do what it takes.E fit no even be okada riders sef wey go start to dey kidnap people because the ones that kidnap people using public buses are not actually transporters.
If you want to pretend and not face the truth that is your problem but to say that people can't use the helmet stuff for evil and it just for our safety and that we are too superstitious is that you are deceiving yourself and that is the worst thing one can do to ones self.
Imagine just because you never catch aids no mean say him no dey and wearing of condom no still mean say you no fit catch
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by fe32(m): 7:20pm On Jan 09, 2009
here's fe posting this again, especially for the gramarians on nairaland, this is neither uk nor us, dis is lagos, the flip side of what most posters here call city, be careful, omode o mogun,, o pe l'efo grin grin

jeffoski:

God bless you Bettes Is people like you that say the truth no matter what.as for Siena i don't have much to say you have only stayed 14years In Nigeria and am sure you don't use public transport or move around alot because if you do you'll know what am trying to say .Anyway,people just becareful everyone want to make it this year through any means and some okada riders will be willing to do what it takes.E fit no even be okada riders sef wey go start to dey kidnap people because the ones that kidnap people using public buses are not actually transporters.
If you want to pretend and not face the truth that is your problem but to say that people can't use the helmet stuff for evil and it just for our safety and that we are too superstitious is that you are deceiving yourself and that is the worst thing one can do to ones self.
Imagine just because you never catch aids no mean say him no dey and wearing of condom no still mean say you no fit catch

thank you my broda
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by cvibe: 8:07pm On Jan 09, 2009
only in lagos.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Nobody: 8:36pm On Jan 09, 2009
Yes, I don't live in Nigeria.

But the use of a protective helmet is something that's not country-specific.
It didn't need the government to make it mandatory - if I travelled to India, and was going to ride on a bike, I'd get a protective helmet, whether it was mandatory to do so or not!

A head smacking the road hard enough will break, regardless of where it happens.
I don't need the government to tell me a broken head would kill me.

The same thing applies to seat belts - I have Nigerian friends here, who expect me to drive with them in the car, and they don't want to wear their seat belts. Their reason? "I'm not comfortable with a belt."

Now what sort of reasoning is that? Of course, I decline to have them in the car with me, unless they're prepared to buckle-up.
It's not just the helmet rules - it's the whole safety thing.
It's not like they have to carry seatbelts around with them, so why decline to wear them if they're fitted?

I'm willing to bet if proper helmets were N900, people would still find an excuse not to wear / buy them in Nigeria.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by otikpoko(m): 9:54pm On Jan 09, 2009
I was unable to stop laughing today when i went to the market.I saw a motorcycle rider today along the market wearing a stainless steel aluminium bowl over his head as helment.Almost everybody was astonished on seeing the motorcycle rider.I also saw one motorcycle rider wearing a little rubber bowl over his head as helment.I heard that some motorcycle riders are wearing calabash as helment but did not believe until today when my cousin saw some motorcycle rider wearing calabash as helment.They paint the calabash different colours so that it will look like a real helment.What do you guys have to say about this sad?
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by mafolayomi(f): 9:38am On Jan 10, 2009
@ poster, this is not new in Ilupeju area of Lagos, mostly if u ar passing through the barracks,we have been experiencing that since God knows when.
Its a good idea sha smiley smiley
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Suntemi(m): 11:23am On Jan 10, 2009
@ All
especially Siena, I would have supported you if any of the issues we' arguing havn't happened to someone very close to me before, but the truth is, it happened to my Mum,I shouldn't be saying this but I don't know how else to convince you guys. Anyway let me tell you how it really happened.

I was coming from school that day when I got home I saw my sister crying, I decided to find out what was wrong she told me that our Mum came home crying and couldn't talk again. I was shock to hear this, I went to meet my mum in her room and tears was rolling down her eyes, and she was trying to tell me what happened and she couldn't talk. She tried to talk but she was unable to talk. Si I had to call my Dad to come home to see for himself what was going on. When Dad coame around we had to pray for about 3hrs non-stop before my Mum could say a word. So finally she narrated how she entered a bus from Yaba, and she asked to go home and bring the money my Dad asked to to keep.

She said they told her where she will find the money in our house even as she didn't even know that my Dad gave me any money, hearing that alone, I was surprise because I still can't figure out how they managed to know where I kept the money no one had knowledge of. She came home and took the money back to them.

She said after getting to them, they collected the money threw her out of a bus under motion. She also said someone (not part of them decided to bring her home but the person insisted that she wouldn't follow her to our house for security reasones). I didn't blame the woman really. Maybe she was afraid.

Now let reason about the whole story, How were they able to know where I kept the money? How come my mum had to go back to them? Also why couldn't she talk when she came back home?

guys, there is nothing to argue about this is Nigeria where anything I repeat anything can happen. I was in 'Keke Napep' yesterday when I heard on radio that someone dishappened after wearing a helment. According to the report, the bike rider was taking to Area F Police Station at Ikeja. If you need any proof just go to Area F and confirm I havn't confirmed really but it can be true because something similar had happen to someone very close to me I mean my mum.

This Helment Policy can aswell put many bike riders into problem, now consider if the bike rider that was taken to Area F knew nothing about the whole issue, it is possible for a passenger to do whatever he likes to a helment given to him, but the bike rider will be held responsible because he owns the helment.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Nobody: 12:43pm On Jan 10, 2009
^^^ Sorry to hear about your mom.

But, the answer's simple - buy your own helmet, and be safe.

You can't place monetary value on a life.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by honeric01(m): 1:13pm On Jan 10, 2009
Abi ooo, If you prone to using bike, Please buy your own bike or an Helmet.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

How God Saved Me From A Car Fire Incident. Lessons And Tips. / Car Caught Fire In Awka, Near Central Bank By 6:12pm Today / What Documents Should Be Requested When Taking Ownership Of A Locally Used Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.