Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,151 members, 7,815,023 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:13 AM

New Helmet Rule In Lagos - Car Talk (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / New Helmet Rule In Lagos (15705 Views)

New FRSC Rule On Drivers License / Share Your Helmet Experiences Here! Whether Good Bad Or Ugly! / Helmet In Lagos: He Disappeared! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Suntemi(m): 10:43am On Jan 07, 2009
bronx_dog:

I concludethat Nigerians are worse than monkeys in reasoning.

Imagine Dog dey call People monkey. Guy, U worst O. Where U from shef?

Nigerians no wan end up for soup pot.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Kaestro(m): 10:54am On Jan 07, 2009
As much as safety is the main issue here,the bigger picture is these people understanding the rules of engaging in okada riding.Proper sensitization is needed.See how people can easily misconstrue the reason for which the law was made.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Suntemi(m): 11:04am On Jan 07, 2009
oluwdashmi:

can u image? but this guy has a helmet with him now!!

Maybe the Okada rider himself is afraid of the passengers, as the two helments are the same. He can easy mix them up. Man pikin no wan end life for pot. I don't blame him really. grin
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Nobody: 11:09am On Jan 07, 2009
Kaestro, I understand where you're coming from.

But Nigerians generally make a joke of anything, even with safety matters.
I certainly can't misunderstand the rules of safety, but many choose to act the clown.

How do you get through to people like that?
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Darpour(m): 1:06pm On Jan 07, 2009
but this wud be an avenue where our "noble officers" would be posting huge profits this new season!!!. Hmmm

Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by honeric01(m): 1:18pm On Jan 07, 2009
I wish we could have beautified helmets here in Nigeria, Some Okada men look too ugly with them, Just like a mouse putting on a toitoist shell
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Aydeggy: 2:12pm On Jan 07, 2009
Can you beat this

Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by stag: 2:27pm On Jan 07, 2009
its not about the law but about people's and government's attitude to laws: these okada riders need orientation through the various associations on the risks of careless and reckless riding.this law had been in lagos before anywhere else but when one government goes, the next government does not bother about continuity of some crucial laws regarding lives and properties. if anyone ever witnesses okada accidents, then you'll realise its not only about asking them to wear helmets. infact the head is the least affectted in many of the accidents, what should people wear to protect their legs?
its an ok law but there are fundamental things to tackle: after wearing helmet one hyperative clown decides to test if bajaj can truly run 140km/hr.

the gov should make laws to keep them off the express road, orientate them on risks of overspeeding etc.anyways, they've started somewhere, thanks to them and go beyond this.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by stag: 2:29pm On Jan 07, 2009
its not about the law but about people's and government's attitude to laws: these okada riders need orientation through the various associations on the risks of careless and reckless riding.this law had been in lagos before anywhere else but when one government goes, the next government does not bother about continuity of some crucial laws regarding lives and properties. if anyone ever witnesses okada accidents, then you'll realise its not only about asking them to wear helmets. infact the head is the least affectted in many of the accidents, what should people wear to protect their legs?
its an ok law but there are fundamental things to tackle: after wearing helmet one hyperative clown decides to test if bajaj can truly run 140km/hr.

the gov should make laws to keep them off the express road, orientate them on risks of overspeeding etc.anyways, they've started somewhere, thanks to them and pls go beyond this.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by bettes(f): 2:55pm On Jan 07, 2009
I dont blame the people who are worried about their hygiene,who would like to share a helmet with every shaki,sukurat and biliki.I dont think hankies,bandanas or shower caps can save anyone from contagious diseases like chicken pox,ringworm,craw-craw.
If the alternative is buying your own helmet,a helmet is not a wallet or a book you can throw in your bag or suitcase,people dont always plan to take okadas,so does this mean people should carry their helmet at all times?
And to make matters worse,the helmets used by okada drivers are not even the proper helmets.
What these helmet stop okada riders from driving carelessly?
I think the 1st steps should be screening okada riders(especially the malos) and ensuring they have the proper training in riding,and set asides rules that we ensure that any okada caught driving carelessly will be dealt with severly
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by ahbookie: 2:57pm On Jan 07, 2009
Wetin dis helmet wahala go cause, no be small tin o. I heard dat somebody got missing in Bariga on wearing the helmet.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Nobody: 3:31pm On Jan 07, 2009
^^^ And we expect Nigeria to move forward, with rumour mongers like this?
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Nobody: 3:46pm On Jan 07, 2009
@ Bettes:

The reckless riding of cyclists is a seperate issue.

Regardless of how inexperienced a rider is, a proper helmet should be worn.
Unless you're telling me, that untill a rider becomes proficient enough to obtain a license, he / she in not licensed to wear a proper helmet?
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by mustafar1: 8:05pm On Jan 07, 2009
if u dont want infection, buy urself shower cap if u cant afford ur own helmet. wear it before wearing a helmet that watever james and john hanging out in the helmet wont get in ur hair. u can simply wash it everyday and reuse. as for those shouting someone could put voodoo in the helmet. they can as well put it on the seat of the okada, so dont sit while on one, STAND ALL THE WAY.

RETARDED FELLOWS ALWAYS READY TO SEE REASON NOT TO DO THE RIGHT THING!
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by mustafar1: 8:54pm On Jan 07, 2009
if this rider got into an accident and was thrown off his bike, I'm not God but he would either be dead or be paralysed from neck down because the bucket on ur head would provide perfect support for any heavy force required to break his neck.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by maitapo9ic(m): 12:10am On Jan 08, 2009
can u imagine on how a woman of a mother wearing gele and add it with helmet that is village people uptill know nigeria are not wise at all we want 2 change nigeria 2 village and once again there was a day in sabo ibadan nigera a white american saw a woman wearing gele and put on hemlet on that gele the white began to laff 2 he say uptil now nigeria are not wise at all .
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by maitapo9ic(m): 12:24am On Jan 08, 2009
[b][/b] this is an abuse to nigeria real abuse

Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Nobody: 12:32am On Jan 08, 2009
maitapo9ic:

can u imagine on how a woman of a mother wearing gele and add it with helmet that is village people uptill know nigeria are not wise at all we want 2 change nigeria 2 village and once again there was a day in sabo ibadan nigera a white american saw a woman wearing gele and put on hemlet on that gele the white began to laff 2 he say uptil now nigeria are not wise at all .

I didn't understand a thing you said here. undecided
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by bettes(f): 12:49am On Jan 08, 2009
Siena:

@ Bettes:

The reckless riding of cyclists is a seperate issue.

Regardless of how inexperienced a rider is, a proper helmet should be worn.
Unless you're telling me, that untill a rider becomes proficient enough to obtain a license, he / she in not licensed to wear a proper helmet?
[color=#990000][/color]

How is it a seperate issue? is it not part of safety precautions?If the govt want to tackle this problem once and for all they have to get to the root of the problems,have you seen the way these okada riders ride,riding in front of tankers as if they are on a suicidal mission.So you are saying as long as they use helmets it's alright to drive recklessly.
I have read some of your post on how riders use helmets in developed countries,well i need to point out the obvious in case you hadn't noticed,this is 9ja.In developed countries you dont see riders take one way,you dont see power bikes without side mirrors,you dont see riders who learnt how to ride that morning go and and making james bond moves on the road,the riders in these countries dont use their bikes for commercial purposes and lastly they dont have law enforcers that can be bribed with as little as 20bucks to get away with any offense.

And can you blame nigerians for being negative,this a country where are leaders have disappointed the people over and over again,national id,census(till date we havent seen the results).need i mention more?
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by TRIUMPHT: 1:13am On Jan 08, 2009
Our government is not serious at all about the welfare of the common man. Is okada a good means of transportation in any country. I believe to tackle the problem of transportation, the government should outlaw the use of motorcycles as means of transportation. How did we get where we are now? I think it was because our roads are not motorable and it is easier for motorcycles to manouvre themselves on bad roads. The government is just running away from its responsibilities. Let them repair the roads and get us more comfortable means of transportation. This thing called okada is destroying the destiny of a lot of young people who ought to either be in school or learn a trade. Many of them took to okada business because of the fast money they think they would make. Artisans are becoming fewer and this spells a doom for the nation. I think the government should wake up to its responsibilities. Legislating the use of helmet is not the issue. It is like saying there is no solution to our transportation problem, except in okada and I don't agree with this.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by dayokanu(m): 2:56am On Jan 08, 2009
A rider with his Helmet

Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Jarus(m): 8:12am On Jan 08, 2009
dayokanu:

A rider with his Helmet
This is definitely for fun. You can see the real helmet in his front.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by batunde1: 9:14am On Jan 08, 2009
Na Wa ooo. This helmet rule made by FRSC would be turned to something else, check the picture and see how aboki dey use his personal helmet, Nigeriaa, FRSC doesn't stop this guy, se bi na just to cover your head.
NB
Kindly get your personal helmet or put on a face cap before putting on an okada man's helmet to avoid disease.
This Policy in Lagos , well let see.

Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by tkb417(m): 10:06am On Jan 08, 2009
How is it a seperate issue? is it not part of safety precautions?If the govt want to tackle this problem once and for all they have to get to the root of the problems,have you seen the way these okada riders ride,riding in front of tankers as if they are on a suicidal mission.So you are saying as long as they use helmets it's alright to drive recklessly.
I have read some of your post on how riders use helmets in developed countries,well i need to point out the obvious in case you hadn't noticed,this is Nigeria.In developed countries you don't see riders take one way,you don't see power bikes without side mirrors,you don't see riders who learnt how to ride that morning go and and making james bond moves on the road,the riders in these countries don't use their bikes for commercial purposes and lastly they don't have law enforcers that can be bribed with as little as 20bucks to get away with any offense.

And can you blame nigerians for being negative,this a country where are leaders have disappointed the people over and over again,national id,census(till date we havent seen the results).need i mention more?
thank u
somebody say give us light not helmet grin
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by porka: 10:20am On Jan 08, 2009
I hope Lagos State government has thought through the policy before implementation; especially the social implications. Lagosians are the most superstitious people on earth, I would not be surprised that some people will soon fall victim of mob action as a result of false accusation of "turning somebody to CAT" through crash helmet.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Nobody: 10:22am On Jan 08, 2009
Bettes, it's a seperate issue, in that safety has different core values.

Not all safety related issues can be dealt with at the same time.
Wearing a proper helmet is at least one thing the passenger can do to protect his / her head from being broken, or at least minimise the risk of it being broken.

Regardless of how good the rider may be, the passenger's have no control over them.
So, even if they're schooled in safer riding and control, accidents can still happen.
You wearing a proper helmet won't improve the rider's skills, but it's at least extra insurance for you as a pillion passenger.

If you feel the rider's too reckless for your liking, then the other option is not to use a taxi bike.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Ransomme: 10:54am On Jan 08, 2009
LOL,

I foresee Nigeria breaking a record if they should eventually fully enforce this law. You may be so inquisitive to ask me that, "which record?" ,  The greatest country with common disease among his citizen.

a time will come dat almost each day you go out with okada as a means of transportation, you have 80-90% chance of importing a disease for your family, 

God help us from selfish rules ooooooooooooooooooooo.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Nobody: 10:59am On Jan 08, 2009
oh lawdy!! i've been laughing my balls off! the helmet is a gr8 idea, but i see a couple of probs here:

1) the bike riders are getting it all wrong. i see most of them with hard hats ( meant for construction/dangerous working environments), NOT helmets. the passenger in the pic above is wearing a hard hat

2) i admit the fear of infection is SCARY!! scabies, ringworm, eczema, dandruff, lice, EWWWWWW!! so i've been carrying a hair cap just in case

3) their helmets are mostly filthy, and gooey to the touch! yuck!! i held one this morning (i refused to put it on my head, damn FRSC grin) and washed my hands twice when i got to the office. it was hard to even look at what i was holding embarassed

Siena i understand your concern for safety, i do. i really do. i buckle up everytime i'm in a car. but no way in hell am i going to do that to myself. uh uh. if the helmet's neat, i will put my cap on and wear it. if not, i fit trek sef. but there's nothing like the feel of the wind in my hair. and the knowledge i ain't catching someone's scabies or ringworm.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Nobody: 11:02am On Jan 08, 2009
by the way, i hear some people are using calabash as helmets up north grin grin

i'm off to find me some pics if i can grin
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Nobody: 11:18am On Jan 08, 2009
^^^ Hey, no more of those degrading pictures, please! grin
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Nobody: 12:22pm On Jan 08, 2009
ok. i couldn't find any, cry cry

but the image i have in my mind is hilarious! i'd laugh myself to stitches if i ever actually see one grin grin grin grin. not fair that all the foreign media make it look like it's that widespread. at least they reported that the vegetable recyclers are being arrested for it wink
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by bababuff(m): 1:07pm On Jan 08, 2009
:p :d ;d

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

How God Saved Me From A Car Fire Incident. Lessons And Tips. / Car Caught Fire In Awka, Near Central Bank By 6:12pm Today / What Documents Should Be Requested When Taking Ownership Of A Locally Used Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.