Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,295 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:23 AM

Prof. Osinbajo Blast Jonathan After Presidential Media Chat - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Prof. Osinbajo Blast Jonathan After Presidential Media Chat (51146 Views)

President Buhari With Jonathan After Council Of State Meeting (photos) / Patience And Goodluck Jonathan After Church Service In Bayelsa (pic) / Aso Rock Deserted After Presidential Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Prof. Osinbajo Blast Jonathan After Presidential Media Chat by thewarrior72: 10:50am On Feb 12, 2015
Re: Prof. Osinbajo Blast Jonathan After Presidential Media Chat by thewarrior72: 10:51am On Feb 12, 2015
hotwax:

[size=18pt]So in short Stealing is not corruption? You deserve the president you get. What a shame? And International society will hear this and will make mockery of the black country of Monkey as usual.

So because of PDP/Jonathan, we need to re-categorize corruption?

Nigeria is not using British English?[/size]

Some people are cursed.
Do u need that I should spoonfeed u & explain every damn thing the president said one by one?, anyways, if na wetin u want no problem.

Today in Nigeria when an office holder misappropriate public funds, forge certificate, give /collect bribe, divert funds ment for project, steal public funds or inflate contract prices we group all as corruption, which is not, only one or 2 in the list above is corruption. The rest are pure theft/stealing which should incur/attract stiffer penalty. In a typical African society stealing is a gravious offence which attract instant judgment from the locals therefore, if these locals know outrightly that those their entrusted with the responsibility of taking care of their society are thiefs, they will treat them as thiefs & not as a mere corrupt individuals.
Re: Prof. Osinbajo Blast Jonathan After Presidential Media Chat by Frankiss44(m): 10:51am On Feb 12, 2015
Jesusloveyou:
u can't understand simple english,d stealing in government is called corruption,dishonest and frudulent act of govt.if u steal drug in ur office is thief or ole,if u collect money to pass student is stealing but if u bribe govt ministry of education to pass ur candidate in state exam(ssce) is corruption.any stealing that does not affect d state(govt) is thief or ole.again a private bank stealing is corruption because it involve state(govt) which make them PLC OR LTD.

See who understands english? Where did you get this definition from, Your own dictionary?? Go and read up the dictionary definition of stealing before you come here and start spitting rubbish all over the place...
Re: Prof. Osinbajo Blast Jonathan After Presidential Media Chat by adanny01(m): 10:55am On Feb 12, 2015
Do you know that according to Oxford dictionary, GEJ has actually corrupted the meaning of the word corruption in context of the 6th definition of corruption under the context of the 9th definition of corruption?

http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/42045?redirectedFrom=corruption#eid

a. Perversion or destruction of integrity in the discharge of public duties by bribery or favour; the use or existence of corrupt practices, esp. in a state, public corporation, etc.

c1425 Wyntoun Cron. vii. viii. 703 Quhat for corruptyown and inwy, Thare charge þai dyd nocht detfully.
1494 Act 11 Hen. VII c. 21 If any of the petit Jury toke..any some of money..after any suche corrupcion by the Graund Jury founden, etc.
1576 W. Lambarde Perambulation of Kent 127 Guy..escaped sone after, by corruption of his keepers.
a1600 R. Hooker Of Lawes Eccl. Politie vii. xxiv, in Wks. (1662) 68 Simoniacal corruption I may not for honors sake suspect.
1651 T. Hobbes Leviathan ii. xxvi. 144 The frequent corruption and partiality of Judges.
1769 ‘Junius’ Stat Nominis Umbra (1772) I. i. 14 It is not sufficient..that judges are superior to the vileness of pecuniary corruption.
1827 H. Hallam Constit. Hist. Eng. II. xii. 263 The real vice of this parliament was not intemperance, but corruption.
1880 J. McCarthy Hist. our Own Times IV. lix. 316 The ballot has not extinguished corruption in small boroughs.

b. A case or instance of corrupt practice.

1621 H. Elsynge Notes Deb. House of Lords (1870) 14 The corrupcion wherewith the L. Chancellor was charged, viz., twenty-three severall corrupcions proved by wytnesses.

a. Change of language, a text, word, etc. from its correct or original condition to one of incorrectness, deterioration, etc.

a1513 R. Fabyan New Cronycles Eng. & Fraunce (1516) I. xlvii. f. xvi, It was called Caerlud or Luddys towne. and after by corrupcyon or shortyng of the speche it was named London.
1599 F. Thynne Animaduersions (1875) 6 Of necessytye, bothe in matter, myter, and meaninge, yt [Chaucer's text] must needes gather corruptione, passinge throughe so manye handes.
1634 J. Ford Chron. Hist. Perkin Warbeck i. sig. C2, Tell me..Is it [the writing] a sure intelligence of all The progresse of our enemies intents Without corruption?
1686 R. Plot Nat. Hist. Staffs. x. 417 It was ever after call'd Wulfrunes-Hampton, since by corruption of speech Wolverhampton.
1710 Swift Tatler No. 230. ⁋3 The continual Corruption of our English Tongue.
1861 F. Max Müller Lect. Sci. Lang. (1880) I. ii. 47 By phonetic corruption..not only the form, but the whole nature of language is destroyed.
1862 G. Rawlinson Five Great Monarchies I. viii. 215 His numbers having suffered corruption during their passage through so many hands.

b. A concrete instance of such alteration.

1699 R. Bentley Diss. Epist. Phalaris (new ed.) 228 As for the two other names, Aristodolium and Archebolion; the former is a manifest Corruption.
1711 R. Steele Spectator No. 80. ⁋9, I am not against reforming the Corruptions of Speech you mention.
1751 Johnson Rambler No. 177. ⁋9 A copy..by the help of which, the text might be freed from several corruptions.
1856 A. P. Stanley Sinai & Palestine (1858) v. 233 Nâblus being the corruption of Neapolis.
Re: Prof. Osinbajo Blast Jonathan After Presidential Media Chat by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 11:03am On Feb 12, 2015
adanny01:

Dont you have Google to find out for yourself, haba! You are on the Internet right now but you cant check a definition for yourself. You are doing a great disservice to yourself and the nation if you cant verify a simple thing like a definition. The dictionary or Google has a lot of synonyms which stealing isn't one. If you want it added, i cant do that for you, send an appeal to OED (Oxford English Dictionary) with proof of why it needs to be added. Google is your friend my brother.
You are funny.

I agreed with your definition and showed that from the definitions you posted, GEJ is wrong.

I repeat, from the definitions you posted. GEJ is wrong.

Stealing by officials in power are corrupt.

So what is your problem?
Re: Prof. Osinbajo Blast Jonathan After Presidential Media Chat by thewarrior72: 11:05am On Feb 12, 2015
Ahmeduana:
Is Prof Osinbajo slow in simple comprehension
or what?
Jonathan was explicit in explaining himself.
He stated that he had a parley with a former CJN
on the incidence of corruption/crime.
He posited that Justice Mustapha disclosed that
over 70% of the cases under the judge's purview
were actually outright theft being branded as
corruption. He was making a case that what
people normally give the appellation of corruption
are nothing short of thievery.
Instead of branding a public official guilty of
misappropriation as corrupt, he was suggesting
that a more apt or grievous term should be
applied. Let the guilty official be addressed as the
thief that s/he is so as to serve as a deterrent to
others.
So what is difficult for this APC man to
understand?
COMMON SENSE IS NOT FOR COMMON PEOPLE.
Perfectly put
Re: Prof. Osinbajo Blast Jonathan After Presidential Media Chat by maestroferddi: 11:08am On Feb 12, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

Osinbajo is not new to politics. He is far better a politician than Jonathan, an opportunist.
Is it not trite to say that you are entitled to your opinion?
Re: Prof. Osinbajo Blast Jonathan After Presidential Media Chat by adanny01(m): 11:10am On Feb 12, 2015
thegoodjoehunt3:

dishonest or fraudulent conduct by those in power, typically involving bribery." = Corruption.

Let us break down your definition of corruption.
1. Dishonest or fraudulent.
2. In Power.

The bribery listed there is for clarification.

No a government official stealing, is he
1. Dishonest and fraudulent? Yes.
2. Is he in power? Yes. So how can GEJ say stealing is not Corruption?

Once you accept the fact that the act which a government official is found wanting is called fraud or fraudulent, stealing was not the act. So you are wrong to say he committed stealing but he committed fraud. The two are not related in the context of government official. You may refer to the definition of stealing.

steal
stēl
verb
present participle: stealing
take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it.

Stealing refers to property
Re: Prof. Osinbajo Blast Jonathan After Presidential Media Chat by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 11:11am On Feb 12, 2015
Officials in power who embezzle money it property are corrupt.

They are Dishonest/Fraudulent, abusing their power for Personal gain.
Re: Prof. Osinbajo Blast Jonathan After Presidential Media Chat by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 11:14am On Feb 12, 2015
adanny01:

Once you accept the fact that the act which a government official is found wanting is called fraud or fraudulent, stealing was not the act. So you are wrong to say he committed stealing but he committed fraud. The two are not related in the context of government official. You may refer to the definition of stealing.

Stealing refers to property
Do you read what you post?

In the definition you posted, stealing involves taking so etching without legal right. If a corrupt official fraudulently takes money or property without legal right, is that not stealing?

GEJ is wrong here. Prof. Osinbanjo is right. There is no way it can be spun.
Re: Prof. Osinbajo Blast Jonathan After Presidential Media Chat by sirfemoz(m): 11:19am On Feb 12, 2015
thegoodjoehunt3:
Why not explain and let people access your take on the matter. Do you agree or disagree with the President?

I do not agree with him. Corruption = Abuse of power for personal gain including abuse of power to steal things.
Thanks for your effort and answer.. I really appreciate.. Then can you say that stealing is corruption? If you say so, then you will agree a little kid that stole snacks or a biro from his fellow kid in school is a corrupt kid
Re: Prof. Osinbajo Blast Jonathan After Presidential Media Chat by hammedyusuf64(m): 11:22am On Feb 12, 2015
yes GEJ is a corrupt leader.... change is what we need

1 Like

Re: Prof. Osinbajo Blast Jonathan After Presidential Media Chat by adanny01(m): 11:24am On Feb 12, 2015
thegoodjoehunt3:
Do you read what you post?

In the definition you posted, stealing involves taking so etching without legal right. If a corrupt official fraudulently takes [b]money [/b]or property without legal right, is that not stealing?

GEJ is wrong here. Prof. Osinbanjo is right. There is no way it can be spun.

Where you are making a mistake is that the definition of stealing says property while fraud is money. Fraud in government is corruption. Fraud in a bank remains fraud.

Get it straight this last time
Stealing is as to property
Fraud is as to money and others

while Fraud in government is corruption
fraud in the private sector is still fraud.

Stealing is physical property while fraud is not but includes only physical cash or documents

Get it?
Re: Prof. Osinbajo Blast Jonathan After Presidential Media Chat by REXREGIS: 11:25am On Feb 12, 2015
I am not a GEJ supporter but quite frankly I think the president's clarification on this issue is easy to understand. I listened to him and I buy his explanation. I suggest we put aside our political inclinations and proclivities for a moment and allow logic prevail.
I respect Prof. Osibanjo and I wish him and GMB God's will in the forthcoming elections but l'd like him to know that corruption is not limited to the conduct of those in power.
Re: Prof. Osinbajo Blast Jonathan After Presidential Media Chat by DinoAnnberry(m): 11:26am On Feb 12, 2015
Calculia:
Those in power alone? Prof u don fall my hand...

Besides, what we have in Nigeria is beyond that gentle man definition.

As GEJ put it, in Nigeria we have thieves not corruption.

Re: Prof. Osinbajo Blast Jonathan After Presidential Media Chat by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 11:28am On Feb 12, 2015
sirfemoz:

Thanks for your effort and answer.. I really appreciate.. Then can you say that stealing is corruption? If you say so, then you will agree a little kid that stole snacks or a biro from his fellow kid in school is a corrupt kid

Consumed: How Markets Corrupt Children, Infantilize Adults, and Swallow Citizens Whole

That is a title of a book on Amazon. Children can be corrupt. Movies and music videos can corrupt kids.
Re: Prof. Osinbajo Blast Jonathan After Presidential Media Chat by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 11:29am On Feb 12, 2015
adanny01:

Where you are making a mistake is that the definition of stealing says property while fraud is money. Fraud in government is corruption. Fraud in a bank remains fraud.

Fraud is as to money

Get it?
I do not get your point. Are you saying money can not be stolen by government officials? SMH.
Re: Prof. Osinbajo Blast Jonathan After Presidential Media Chat by Apina(m): 11:30am On Feb 12, 2015
adaweezy:
thought I was the only one who knew President Jonathan cannot define corruption
Where actually did u school?
Re: Prof. Osinbajo Blast Jonathan After Presidential Media Chat by coolbis: 11:31am On Feb 12, 2015
4 God's sake how wil u find a politician stealing money directly, wat dey do is inflate project money or dnt execute it all... And dat is corruption
Re: Prof. Osinbajo Blast Jonathan After Presidential Media Chat by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 11:33am On Feb 12, 2015
adanny01:

Fraud is as to money and others

Stealing is physical property while fraud is not but includes only physical cash or documents

Get it?
Money is Property. Now read your definition of stealing again.
Re: Prof. Osinbajo Blast Jonathan After Presidential Media Chat by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 11:34am On Feb 12, 2015
coolbis:
4 God's sake how wil u find a politician stealing money directly, wat dey do is inflate project money or dnt execute it all... And dat is corruption

And a tact to steal money.
Re: Prof. Osinbajo Blast Jonathan After Presidential Media Chat by sirfemoz(m): 11:35am On Feb 12, 2015
thegoodjoehunt3:

Consumed: How Markets Corrupt Children, Infantilize Adults, and Swallow Citizens Whole

That is a title of a book on Amazon. Children can be corrupt. Movies and music videos can corrupt kids.
You didn't answer my question.. Yet some are here critisizing GEJ for not giving a direct answer.. If from your own view, stealing is corruption..then what will you say about a person that enters banking hall, instead of joining the queue and wait for his turn, he jumped the queue.. What of someone that never pays nepa bill, instead he choses to tip nepa officials? What of someone that will never study to pass examination, instead they choose to tip the lecturer in a word know as "sorting"? And so on..
Re: Prof. Osinbajo Blast Jonathan After Presidential Media Chat by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 11:45am On Feb 12, 2015
sirfemoz:

You didn't answer my question.. Yet some are here critisizing GEJ for not giving a direct answer.. If from your own view, stealing is corruption..then what will you say about a person that enters banking hall, instead of joining the queue and wait for his turn, he jumped the queue.. What of someone that never pays nepa bill, instead he choses to tip nepa officials? What of someone that will never study to pass examination, instead they choose to tip the lecturer in a word know as "sorting"? And so on..

When we talk corruption, look at two things abuse to make personal gain.

Stealing = Abuse trust or chance to personally gain something = Stealing others property = Corruption.

Jumping Queue = Abusing the orderly behavior of others to personally gain time = Stealing the time of others = Corruption

Tipping Corrupt Officials = Abusing the system of the Government for personal gain = Stealing from the government and making loyal tax payers pay for power the corrupt person used = Corruption
Re: Prof. Osinbajo Blast Jonathan After Presidential Media Chat by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 11:50am On Feb 12, 2015
Corruption is dishonest actions that destroys people's trust in the person or group

A corrupt person — a criminal, a crook, or a cookie thief

www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/corruption

GEJ flopped big time.

1 Like

Re: Prof. Osinbajo Blast Jonathan After Presidential Media Chat by Mhudi: 11:54am On Feb 12, 2015
maestroferddi:
Is Prof Osinbajo slow in simple comprehension or what?

He stated that he had a parley with a former CJN on the incidence of corruption/crime.

He posited that Justice Mustapha disclosed that over 70% of the cases under the judge's purview were actually outright theft being branded as corruption. He was making a case that what people normally give the appellation of corruption are nothing short of thievery.

Instead of branding a public official guilty of misappropriation as corrupt, he was suggesting that a more apt or grievous term should be applied. Let the guilty official be addressed as the thief that s/he is so as to serve as a deterrent to others.
With all the theft and stealing, how many have been arrested, prosecuted, and jailed under GEJ government? We the number under GMB government.

So what is difficult for this APC man to understand?
Re: Prof. Osinbajo Blast Jonathan After Presidential Media Chat by adanny01(m): 11:55am On Feb 12, 2015
thegoodjoehunt3:
I do not get your point. Are you saying money can not be stolen by government officials? SMH.

Yes.
Money or government property "stolen" by government official is called corruption.
Money "stolen" by a politician is called graft
Money "stolen" by bank official is called fraud.
The car "stolen" from your garage is called stealing.

See in another view the difference between Stealing and Corruption as regards government official and its property.
For example, if a director of the ministry of works sells his official car and pockets the entire money, he stole the car because his superior will ask him to account for the car. This is where it gets tricky because if he successfully convinces his superior such that there is no longer record as if the car never existed, that act of stealing has been converted to corruption. You cannot steal what was never there. In the case, if the director cannot explain give back the money realized from the sale to government coffers that is fraud. and finally if he didn't sell the car but converted the physical car to his personal use without intention of returning the car to government, that is called stealing. The reason why stealing hardly happens in government is that if that director does not return the car, his severance pay, gratuity, or pension is withheld to the value of the car which neutralizes the stealing. A government official can not get away with stealing. If his superior pays entitlements without penalizing him for stealing the car, it becomes a corruption case.

Where ever way you go about a government official getting away with stealing ends up a corruption case not stealing. You cant get away with stealing but can get away with corruption thats why stealing is only physical.
Re: Prof. Osinbajo Blast Jonathan After Presidential Media Chat by nagoma(m): 12:03pm On Feb 12, 2015
myhoodlink:
These were the words of President GEJ which many have misrepresented
Asked about his 'Stealing is not corruption' comment, president Jonathan said he never said stealing is not corruption -
"The word corruption we have abused it and it's not making so much sense. I did not say stealing is not corruption. I made that statement in reference to ex-CJN, Justice Musdapher. A thief should be called a thief. Ole should be called ole! If you say somebody is corrupt people don't know what you mean". He added "A thief is a thief. Don't use the word corruption to cover stealing. Call the person a thief"

We used to call GEJ a "Corrupt President " , so with this new explanations what should we call him. His supporters should please help.
Re: Prof. Osinbajo Blast Jonathan After Presidential Media Chat by chysam: 12:05pm On Feb 12, 2015
maestroferddi:
Is Prof Osinbajo slow in simple comprehension or what?

He stated that he had a parley with a former CJN on the incidence of corruption/crime.

He posited that Justice Mustapha disclosed that over 70% of the cases under the judge's purview were actually outright theft being branded as corruption. He was making a case that what people normally give the appellation of corruption are nothing short of thievery.

Instead of branding a public official guilty of misappropriation as corrupt, he was suggesting that a more apt or grievous term should be applied. Let the guilty official be addressed as the thief that s/he is so as to serve as a deterrent to others.
So what is difficult for this APC man to understand?

o others.

I think you are equally clueless.How will just calling somebody a thief serve as deterrent to others?. Supposing you thief now,then people just call you a thief and yet you walk around with impunity,how will that serve as deterrent to others?. Is a PHD holder a match for a professor?
So
Re: Prof. Osinbajo Blast Jonathan After Presidential Media Chat by adanny01(m): 12:06pm On Feb 12, 2015
thegoodjoehunt3:
Money is Property. Now read your definition of stealing again.

We will be going round and round if you continue like this.

Money is not property. Property has a value in money so money can not have a value other that what it is. Every other thing you own has a value in money thats why its called property but the money you have is its own value so not a property. This is plain economics not English.
Re: Prof. Osinbajo Blast Jonathan After Presidential Media Chat by Akmarshal(m): 12:08pm On Feb 12, 2015
myhoodlink:
These were the words of President GEJ which many have misrepresented

Asked about his 'Stealing is not corruption' comment, president Jonathan said he never said stealing is not corruption -
"The word corruption we have abused it and it's not making so much sense. I did not say stealing is not corruption. I made that statement in reference to ex-CJN, Justice Musdapher. A thief should be called a thief. Ole should be called ole! If you say somebody is corrupt people don't know what you mean". He added "A thief is a thief. Don't use the word corruption to cover stealing. Call the person a thief"

Hatred is worse than any sin one can think of. Some hate the President just because of what others have said about him. God knows the hearts of all humans.

God bless President Goodluck Jonathan

then let Presido Jona cal a thief a thief, and a corrupt a corrupt! which one has he brought to book and charged to court? please!
Re: Prof. Osinbajo Blast Jonathan After Presidential Media Chat by nzeadachie: 12:28pm On Feb 12, 2015
hammedyusuf64:
yes GEJ is a corrupt leader.... change is what we need
AND BUHARI IS SAINT, ARE YOU SURE THAT BUHARI WILL CONTEST THIS ELECTION?
Re: Prof. Osinbajo Blast Jonathan After Presidential Media Chat by egbesegbe: 12:38pm On Feb 12, 2015
adanny01:

You like Jonathan think we are illiterates? If you have a phone that has internet, go to google and type "CORRUPTION".

This is what comes out.

This is from Google and it is international accepted. Why do you and your oga Jona want to redefine it, to suit your failures? In the synonyms, there is nothing like "stealing" or "thieving", either this president is actually dull or has no conscience.
rong. It is not only in public environment we have corruption.

Let assume a supervisor of my filling station connived with a tanker driver of a private firm to sign an invoice on diesel whereas kerosene was delivered, do we now feel it is not a corruption because we are not in public business? Let's put sentiment aside, Prof got it wrong.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

What Foreigners Think About Nigeria's Fuel Crisis / Caption This Photo Of Asiwaju Giving Orders To His Son and Aides / House Of Reps Speaker, Tajudeen Yusuf Visits Buhari In London

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.