Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,339 members, 7,811,982 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:30 AM

Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) - Career (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) (137698 Views)

Java Study Group(online) / Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco / Cyberoam Study Group, Anyone? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (57) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by Fulaman198(m): 6:22pm On Sep 18, 2015
snipesdam:

True PT for switching is way better if you using version 6.2.

Indeed, Cisco keeps improving Packet Tracer, it's even usable now for CCNA security. I still prefer Boson NetSim and GNS3 for certain things though (especially GNS3 because it's running the latest iteration of Cisco iOS on all its devices).
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by DanIndia(m): 9:05pm On Sep 18, 2015
I've always preferred GNS3 over any other simulators. It gives the real feel of a live lab environment. I haven't tried BOSON netsim though
Fulaman198:

Indeed, Cisco keeps improving Packet Tracer, it's even usable now for CCNA security. I still prefer Boson NetSim and GNS3 for certain things though (especially GNS3 because it's running the latest iteration of Cisco iOS on all its devices).
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by Fulaman198(m): 9:10pm On Sep 18, 2015
DanIndia:
I've always preferred GNS3 over any other simulators. It gives the real feel of a live lab environment. I haven't tried BOSON netsim though

BOSON netsim is very good, and (this may be unimportant to you) scales well at high-resolution monitors (unlike Packet Tracer). If you can't afford live equipment, Boson and Packet Tracer are definitely the way to go.
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by DanIndia(m): 2:26am On Sep 19, 2015
Awesome. Is it free ? Now that you've mentioned Packet Tracer 6.2, could one use it to lab for CCNP switch et all ?
Fulaman198:

BOSON netsim is very good, and (this may be unimportant to you) scales well at high-resolution monitors (unlike Packet Tracer). If you can't afford live equipment, Boson and Packet Tracer are definitely the way to go.
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by Fulaman198(m): 6:11am On Sep 19, 2015
DanIndia:
Awesome. Is it free ? Now that you've mentioned Packet Tracer 6.2, could one use it to lab for CCNP switch et all ?

Good morning, unfortunately, Boson NetSim isn't free, but there are ways to obtain it online. In regards to Packet Tracer 6.2, it should suffice for most of the new CCNP Switch exam (if not all).
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by rhymz(m): 8:02am On Sep 19, 2015
aylive123:

Nice one bro.. Pls could you share how you went about it. Thanks
if you are on bbm or in Lagos you could come over to my side and I will help you out with both materials and the needed software to get your IOU L2 switches running. Or add me up on bbm, let's have a chat; 7FDEE240.

Note: the iou actually do not run on the same host server as your gns3 dynamips, to use the iou switches, you will first get an equivalent virtual machine file I.e either . Ova file or Vmware's . ovf file of the iou server version of your gns3.

For instance, if you are using gns3 1.3.7 you must use an IOU vm 1.3.7 as well..... The iou vm is actually the installed iou server running on Linux OS, get the iou vm . Ova file saves you the stress of installing the server yourself, all you need to do is have either Vmware or virtualbox installed on your system and then click the iou vm so that it is automatically imported into your vm environment. Set the network to host only..... Can't give full details but I could later give you the link to a tutorial on how to get it to work but your best chance will be for me to show you how and also provide you with the materials..... Cos you will be uploading the iou images(that's if you have them already) via Web interface to the iou server running on Vmware or virtual box... Also you will need the iourc licence file else you will get an error message...... Just hit me up on bbm.

1 Like

Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by baba11(m): 8:36am On Sep 19, 2015
Fulaman198:

Good morning, unfortunately, Boson NetSim isn't free, but there are ways to obtain it online. In regards to Packet Tracer 6.2, it should suffice for most of the new CCNP Switch exam (if not all).
What are the ways? shocked
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by baba11(m): 8:41am On Sep 19, 2015
I intend doing ccna next year and I may not be able to be in your group due to network ish here.I already know I can use packet tracer, bosom netsim,gns3 et all as my simulators.

What do I need to read up or how am I going to thread this path in order to come out atop not only in certificate but practical wise shocked
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by DanIndia(m): 9:59am On Sep 19, 2015
Just one word - LABBING.
baba11:
I intend doing ccna next year and I may not be able to be in your group due to network ish here.I already know I can use packet tracer, bosom netsim,gns3 et all as my simulators.

What do I need to read up or how am I going to thread this path in order to come out atop not only in certificate but practical wise shocked
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by baba11(m): 12:11pm On Sep 19, 2015
DanIndia:
Just one word - LABBING.
How do I go about LABBING? shocked
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by DanIndia(m): 2:57pm On Sep 19, 2015
LABBING is what you do on Packet Tracer or any other simulators. Just do more of what you currently do. That is practice more.
baba11:

How do I go about LABBING? shocked
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by baba11(m): 4:47pm On Sep 19, 2015
DanIndia:
LABBING is what you do on Packet Tracer or any other simulators. Just do more of what you currently do. That is practice more.
Thanks
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by Fulaman198(m): 5:59pm On Sep 19, 2015
baba11:

What are the ways? shocked

Those ways I can't disclose on an online public forum smiley
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by DanIndia(m): 6:13pm On Sep 19, 2015
smiley

Are you a bit on system administration side as well ?
Fulaman198:

Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by baba11(m): 7:00pm On Sep 19, 2015
Fulaman198:

Pm sent!!! shocked
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by Fulaman198(m): 8:14pm On Sep 19, 2015
DanIndia:
smiley

Are you a bit on system administration side as well ?

Sort of with Linux, but I'm more of a Networking/Security guy.
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by DanIndia(m): 2:25am On Sep 20, 2015
Really ? I'm going down the Linux path too. Planning on taking the LPIC-1 and 2 exams soon. Are you certified ? Not that it is necessary. Just asking.
Fulaman198:

Sort of with Linux, but I'm more of a Networking/Security guy.
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by mbolajide2010: 9:28am On Sep 20, 2015
Hello House,

Thank you all for all your wonderful information.

Please i am planning writing the CCNA very soon and i need the latest dump questions. Kindly link me to how to get it.

Thank you.
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by incrediblestev: 4:15pm On Sep 20, 2015
Here is a picture of a VOIP network i set up using GNS3, CME 4.0, Cisco IP Communicator and Vmware workstation.
With this you can set up VOIP Dial-peer, Destination-pattern, Learn how to load the CME.tar file to the router and turn it to a GW....I can also tie CUCM to this topolgy.....infact I already have CUCM 8.6 installed but currently not in this topolgy.....So yeah, at CCNA level, 80 percent of VOIP Labbing can be done on GNS3 if you have all the materials.

if you notice, you will see that I am actaully making calls from the phones.

Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by jaeyikeh(m): 4:41pm On Sep 20, 2015
bro I am seriously interested
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by Bigbooks: 4:48pm On Sep 20, 2015
let me join
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by Fulaman198(m): 8:31pm On Sep 20, 2015
DanIndia:
Really ? I'm going down the Linux path too. Planning on taking the LPIC-1 and 2 exams soon. Are you certified ? Not that it is necessary. Just asking.

I'm not Linux certified because most of what I do is networking. Though I will consider it if I ever go down the path of Linux Server Administration. I learned a lot about writing scripts with Bash in the university. I love Linux and will definitely consider the cert if my company needs it.
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by jt2damoney(m): 11:46pm On Sep 20, 2015
start making 20$ immediately you register by clicking on the link on my signature.its free
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by Darayola(m): 8:26am On Sep 21, 2015
Am interested..
stdarayola@gmail.com
Pls.connect me
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by Darayola(m): 8:30am On Sep 21, 2015
DanIndia:
Hey folks,

DanIndia here. I'm planning to start a study group on Cisco certifications... as of now, it will be purely basic stuffs - CCNA topics mostly.
If anyone is interested in participating and is up for some hardcore hours labbing and has a laptop with the required specifications to run GNS3 and Packet Tracer, and is looking to motivate others, learn with others then comment on this thread and let me know if you're interested.

P.S: This is no advertisement for a Cisco Institution or some course with an Institution or whatsoever. This is just a personal invitation to learn together as a group. No charges and there will never be. It's 100% free... and this will continue for a long time and will be sharing career opportunities too.
Pls how do I join u online.
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by DanIndia(m): 7:26pm On Sep 21, 2015
Well, networking has got to do with server and system administration. I think you should give it a shot. It's interesting. I'm not Linux Certified yet but it's in the plans yet.
Fulaman198:

I'm not Linux certified because most of what I do is networking. Though I will consider it if I ever go down the path of Linux Server Administration. I learned a lot about writing scripts with Bash in the university. I love Linux and will definitely consider the cert if my company needs it.
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by Fulaman198(m): 9:21pm On Sep 21, 2015
DanIndia:
Well, networking has got to do with server and system administration. I think you should give it a shot. It's interesting. I'm not Linux Certified yet but it's in the plans yet.

You are correct, they are interrelated, and I feel that if you have a good knowledge base of Linux (at least the LPIC-1/Linux+ level). Then you will be fine for the most part. Now if you are a Linux System Admin, you will need at least an LPIC-2 or an RHCE. LPIC-1/Linux+ = RHCSA.
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by DanIndia(m): 2:34am On Sep 22, 2015
RHCE and RHCSA are flavor dependent. Their commands (RH) are some what different from others. I'll be doing LPIC-1 only as I am not going in depth. You might not even really need a cert. Just the knowledge will do.
Fulaman198:

You are correct, they are interrelated, and I feel that if you have a good knowledge base of Linux (at least the LPIC-1/Linux+ level). Then you will be fine for the most part. Now if you are a Linux System Admin, you will need at least an LPIC-2 or an RHCE. LPIC-1/Linux+ = RHCSA.

1 Like

Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by Fulaman198(m): 5:05am On Sep 22, 2015
DanIndia:
RHCE and RHCSA are flavor dependent. Their commands (RH) are some what different from others. I'll be doing LPIC-1 only as I am not going in depth. You might not even really need a cert. Just the knowledge will do.

You are right, they basically tell potential employers that you have in-depth experience with one flavour of Linux (Red Hat). That isn't to say that if you are a RHCSA/RHCE that you aren't adept at other flavours of Linux (like Debian based versions of Linux). Most potential Employers are looking for someone who is Neutral in regards to the various flavours of Linux out there.

In regards to doing LPIC-1, I advise you do CompTIA Linux+ instead (it's the same exam). If you do the Linux+, you also get the LPIC-1 certification and SUSE certification. Linux+ never expires whereas you have to renew LPIC-1 every 5 years. Better to do Linux+ because you get 3 certs if you pass. Not the case with the LPIC-1.

https://www.lpi.org/certification/get-certified-lpi/lpic-1-linux-server-professional/

1 Like

Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by DanIndia(m): 10:42am On Sep 22, 2015
Oh yes I know that. I wasn't aware of Linux never expiring though. I am planning to go the CompTIA route, they merged the certs with LPI just last year or maybe the year before (not very sure)
Fulaman198:

You are right, they basically tell potential employers that you have in-depth experience with one flavour of Linux (Red Hat). That isn't to say that if you are a RHCSA/RHCE that you aren't adept at other flavours of Linux (like Debian based versions of Linux). Most potential Employers are looking for someone who is Neutral in regards to the various flavours of Linux out there.

In regards to doing LPIC-1, I advise you do CompTIA Linux+ instead (it's the same exam). If you do the Linux+, you also get the LPIC-1 certification and SUSE certification. Linux+ never expires whereas you have to renew LPIC-1 every 5 years. Better to do Linux+ because you get 3 certs if you pass. Not the case with the LPIC-1.

https://www.lpi.org/certification/get-certified-lpi/lpic-1-linux-server-professional/

1 Like

Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by aylive123: 9:42am On Sep 30, 2015
Hello friends. Good morning... Pls I like U 2 help vote 4 a corper friend who has just gotten a sponsor on her project. Her project is 2 get the special children back 2 school... I believe Most of these children we call imbeciles can improve by gaining formal education... Please... Kindly cast Ur vote by clicking on d link below... I believe I can get help here with my people... Cos d vote ends 2day... It wouldn't take much of ur time or data... Its just through Facebook... I appreciate U...

http://pictureyourdream.ng/share/authorize/139df072d15bf8e6f09db36ff1eac856/facebook/
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by FOLYGOLD: 8:10am On Oct 06, 2015
I'll like to be a part of this study group. Here's my email:
folygold101@yahoo.com

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (57) (Reply)

Highest Paying Jobs In Nigeria And How Much They Pay / I Commented 'What A Nice Picture' On My Boss' Photo And She Is Taking It Up / Nigeria Immigration Salary Scale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.