Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,814 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:28 AM

I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back (68658 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 11 / Travelling To Canada Part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 8 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by sukkot: 3:35am On Feb 28, 2015
beelon1020:
kilooodeee easyyy oga haaaha no bi there we they? common is not that bad and cruel here, have been here for a while even i brought my 1st car here the same year i came into this country and this is the 3rd one am using inside the snow outside nah cheesy.. look here bros as an ordinary person with Canadian working permit you are sure of making lowest $2800 and upto $5000 in a month, pay rent $700/month for bachelor, groceries 100-200/month the rest is savings nah, if you want to go on mortgage is up to the person how many people do you see sleeping outside? or you want to say nah all of us buy house? The fact it anyone that can work canada is one of the best place for that person.. end story

thats a lie from the pits of hell. you have not told us about the tax and the heat bill. i mean if you are a bachelor you can get away with hiding inside your duvet all the time but when you have a wife and kids you need to have the heat on 24 7. and whatever car you bought in your first year will be considered a jalopy. i am aware you can get old used cars for 1000 dollars. you are speaking to someone who has lived in toronto before. and looking at the conditions and misery of most of the nigerians there i left and returned to england. the only advantage is that it has a social system. i remember trying to rent apts, like 1500 for some nasty apt.

6 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by babamajor: 3:51am On Feb 28, 2015
Helo relocating to Canada wit ur husband without a work permit is goin to be a difficult option nd more ova u are expecting a babe. Though d govt Wil take care of d babe but for u nd ur husband to settle to life Wil be difficult if u dnt av a work permit. I visit Canada very offen nd Wil be Der again in two months time, nd frm my observations it's beta to go to Calgary or Mississauga cuz Der av low populations nd less stressful wen u are facing immigration wahala. Canada is more friendly unlike America wer I stay cuz an average Canadian is more friendly Dan an American. Toronto is more expensive but peaceful nd well organized. If d people dat invited u guys av a good job tins Wil be easier Cuz food is very Cheap abroad nd once u guys can eat nd av accommodation den it Wil be easier to find wat to do nd also find out frm d school u which to go if u are qualify to work on part time. But it's a risk wat takin rather Dan stayin in nija. Anoda advise is if u are fortunate to make it to Canada look for white people church cuz dey Wil be intrested in ur situation nd it help at a faster rate if u are lucky to meet d right people.

4 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Brainiacmrtolz(m): 4:10am On Feb 28, 2015
come to kwara state ilorin, ask prophet sanmi metiboba. he will tell u d true God's mind. God bless
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by iponrite: 4:30am On Feb 28, 2015
well said bro 110% agree with you
bigfrancis21:
First of all, you are doing very well already in Nigeria and you have no reason at all to leave Nigeria. You have a good job + investment properties (buildings) which you own. Investing in business is preferable in Nigeria than in US or Canada (about 90% of start-ups fail in the US), high taxation (at least 35% of your profits) and there are more profit returns on investment in Nigeria than in US/Canada. When you come here, life starts afresh for you. You will discover that your foreign (Nigerian) degrees and experience are totally nothing and they don't count here and you will have to go to school for about the next 2 years (during which you will have to make-do with meagre, low-paying jobs to survive). On average, it will take you about 5 years to stand on your feet in Canada.

After going to school and getting a job, you will live an average life here in Canada, nothing exceptional or more than that. A great part of your salary will go into heavy taxes (imagine earning $5000 a month and $1200 goes to taxes leaving you with $3,800), bills (mortgage, light, water, gas, phone bills e.t.c), leaving you with just enough to survive and nothing extra. You see jobs, you will find them aplenty here but you will not be left with much as most of your money will go into taxes and bills. The average US/Canadian works to pay bills and it is an endless cycle. Several Nigerians are returning home to invest.

To be honest, life in Nigeria is better financially if you have a good job and several investments.

2 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by bigfrancis21: 4:41am On Feb 28, 2015
cbrass:

But why haven't you returned if it's true

This is the common question Nigerians back home will always ask you back when you tell them the reality of life in America. America isn't all gold as we think back home and this is difficult for Nigerians back home to understand until they come here and experience for themselves.

Don't get me wrong though. If you don't expect anything more than average life and you just want a house, a car, a job, a family e.t.c., America is suitable for you. In Amerca, if you work hard and go to school, you will get a good job (by good I mean in the range of $60,000 to $80,000 per year or $5,000 - $6,500 per month with $3,500 to $4,800 take home per month after taxes), you will have a house which you will buy on loan (mortgage which you will spend over 20 years paying back to the bank + interest accrued over those 20 years), you will be driving a clean car also on loan (average payment spread out over 5 years), you will eat good food (food here is very cheap), you will pay your bills every month. Nothing more, nothing less. Americans live in debt. It is an endless cycle of work = bills. Both sides of the equaton balance themselves out.

However, if you want more than just an ordinary life and you have business/investment plans, Nigeria is the place to be. If you want to have money and live life without financial constraints, Nigeria is the best place for that. As an established person in Nigeria you will always have the luxury to visit any obodo oyibo country of your choice, and shop in their best of malls, eat at their best of restaurants and what have you - luxuries many Americans here don't have either because they don't have extra money to spend luxuriously or they can't afford it.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 4:44am On Feb 28, 2015
irridemi:
Hello Nairalanders, Please I need ur advise. Am currently 2months pregnant, and My husband is thinking of us relocating to Canada. I currently work in the bank while my husband is into Forex and Securities Trading Business. We were doing averagely okay until last year when business started shaking, my husband has lost a lot and now he is thinking of us relocating to Canada to start afresh. If I resign and we sell our properties, and the little savings we have should be enough to sponsor him for a Postgraduate Course (2years), while I follow him as his wife ( then I get a job), he wants this option cos am a professional and I have good work experience. Option 2 is for me to do a post graduate course and he accompanies me (mayb I will get a good job fast cos of my qualifications). if I wait till we have our baby, the expenses will be much(I.e the financial requirement for the visa). My hubby's uncle is ready to assist us, but my husband doesn't want to take the risk of investing in business again. He has Sasacheskwan or Toronto in mind. I will really appreciate advise thanks

O chi m
You mean you and your husband cannot sit down together as man and wife and plan your future and you want strangers who don't know you,don't know details about your life to help you make a decision with something as important as this?
Oya why is the husband not the one asking these questions?
There is nothing I won't see in this place
See how women carry palava on their heads
Is the pregnancy you're carrying not enough?
Why not let the man handle this one

4 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by iponrite: 4:59am On Feb 28, 2015
i dey feel ur gist bro..... they (naija based) dont listen later thay begin to advice people dont make d mistake i made
bigfrancis21:

This is the common question Nigerians back home will always ask you back when you tell them the reality of life in America. America isn't all gold as we think back home and this is difficult for Nigerians back home to understand until they come here and experience for themselves.

Don't get me wrong though. If you don't expect anything more than average life and you just want a house, a car, a job, a family e.t.c., America is suitable for you. In Amerca, if you work hard and go to school, you will get a good job (by good I mean in the range of $60,000 to $80,000 per year or $5,000 - $6,500 per month with $3,500 to $4,800 take home per month after taxes), you will have a house which you will buy on loan (mortgage which you will spend over 20 years paying back to the bank + interest accrued over those 20 years), you will be driving a clean car also on loan (average payment spread out over 5 years), you will eat good food (food here is very cheap), you will pay your bills every month. Nothing more, nothing less. Americans live in debt. It is an endless cycle of work = bills. Both sides of the equaton balance themselves out.

However, if you want more than just an ordinary life and you have business/investment plans, Nigeria is the place to be. If you want to have money and live life without financial constraints, Nigeria is the best place for that. As an established person in Nigeria you will always have the luxury to visit any obodo oyibo country of your choice, and shop in their best of malls, eat at their best of restaurants and what have you - luxuries many Americans here don't have either because they don't have extra money to spend luxuriously or they can't afford it.

1 Like

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by activities: 5:23am On Feb 28, 2015
Do not resign from you job...........allow your husband to travel first ............life is not what you see in the television outside .......a word is enough for d wise...
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by talktofemi: 5:27am On Feb 28, 2015
A b.re@st in hand is worth two in the bra.

Leaving a known world for an uncertain one isn't alway easy. The world isn't what it used to be again Let one spouse go first and the other join later.

As I have never leave the shore of African what will I know?
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by fareedah86: 5:27am On Feb 28, 2015
I would really love you to go with your husband,but sincerely I think u should allow him go first then join him later. Dnt knw much about canada,buh spending 20,000 dollars on ice alone,mehn!!!!dats plenty money.make sure u have something on ground in naija bfre stepping out. As for jobs try and get something online,where u wld be able to do your interviews tru Skype. But please dnt sell all your properties to travel abroad,except God himself is leading you and you are sure u heard his voice to go.wish u all the best. Like I said,pls dnt sell all your properties to go stay abroad. Pls dnt

1 Like

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 5:29am On Feb 28, 2015
Pls and pls stay back
I love risk but won't take this one if I was the one

I feel you both are more interested in maintaining your status in the eyes of everyone than real hustling
Forget what people will say
It won't be easy but you will remb this stage tomorrow and smile it off.

Atleast one party is working
Why are you both so quick to relocate to a location without guarantee that one will get a job

Sell somethings and let your husband start whatever is profitable here
while you continue working to suppport him
Forget what people will say.

2 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by kliverpool(m): 5:30am On Feb 28, 2015
You have a job here don't just throw that away.you have a property too.dont destroy ur self.Stay here and don't leave ur Job let your husband go and study first,2years apart is not going to kill you.let him find a job and settle b4 u go and join him.dont dispose ur property u can rent it out.in 20years u will look back and see what the property is worth. And again this country is very good if u have money to invest.Let him take the money and try a real business in naija.Oil and gas,real estate, distribution,dealership etc.you become a big boy soon if you have money to do business.

2 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 5:35am On Feb 28, 2015
I really appreciate all the comments, nobody is an island of knowledge and I av really learnt a lot. The advises and comments are from both sides(the pros and cons), God bless you all. We are still praying and I know God will order our steps. I had a long chat with hubby, and really the info I got here was really helpful. The conclusion. "PLAN A"-is we won't be going this year, I will continue my job, hubby will take professional course online while continuing his business. Then I apply for either the Australia work visa or the canadian federal skilled work visa, if successful, then he will take up an affordable course, then we go as a family.(Most likely I will have my baby in nigeria). If its not successful. "PLAN B-we will both take professional courses online (and belong to foreign professional bodies), equip ourselves and keep trying. In the course of d professional courses, either of us can travel, do the exams, then come back. With this we can apply for jobs from nigeria, and try the skilled work visa again. So we won't be travelling using the "study permit with spouse thing" again, we will study here and restrategise. With prayer, hardwork, dedication we will get there. And wen we do, I always remember this thread, and be willing to help out too cos I learnt a lot. Thanks

8 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 6:23am On Feb 28, 2015
kliverpool:
You have a job here don't just throw that away.you have a property too.dont destroy ur self.Stay here and don't leave ur Job let your husband go and study first,2years apart is not going to kill you.let him find a job and settle b4 u go and join him.dont dispose ur property u can rent it out.in 20years u will look back and see what the property is worth. And again this country is very good if u have money to invest.Let him take the money and try a real business in naija.Oil and gas,real estate, distribution,dealership etc.you become a big boy soon if you have money to do business.
lol @2years apart won't kill. Hubby doesnot believe in such,wev been married for years now and that ideology of his won't change. He hates distant relatnship even if its temporary o! But wev reached a conclusn thanks

2 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by fem88(m): 6:36am On Feb 28, 2015
My dear,it is more risky not to take a risk at all.I think you should follow your mind and like what a lot of good Nairalanders have said take ur time to do a comprehensive research before you go.But personally Canada is worth the risk.God bless ur hustle,God bless Nairalanders and God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by ccaramel(f): 6:43am On Feb 28, 2015
sukkot:
thats a lie from the pits of hell. you have not told us about the tax and the heat bill. i mean if you are a bachelor you can get away with hiding inside your duvet all the time but when you have a wife and kids you need to have the heat on 24 7. and whatever car you bought in your first year will be considered a jalopy. i am aware you can get old used cars for 1000 dollars. you are speaking to someone who has lived in toronto before. and looking at the conditions and misery of most of the nigerians there i left and returned to england. the only advantage is that it has a social system. i remember trying to rent apts, like 1500 for some nasty apt.

Having lived 15 years in Toronto/ Calgary. Beelon1020 is absolutely correct. You guys that immigrate to Canada from Europe ( mostly fake refugee claimants grin) always complain and can't cope here because you don't have a plan and mix with people that can't give you sound advise. Get away from the Jane/ Finch crew and mix with bright minds. I came to Canada as an international student for undergrad without knowing one person in this country. You can get a good car for $1000 max if you have the right links( bought a car within a year and had own basement apt working just a student part time job) you can Rent a very clean 2 bedroom apt/ condo. $1200 max per month Or not so clean for about $900. All utilities included. Heat in winter, ac in summer, water, hydro, laundry.
The OP and her husband will make it Canada if they plan ahead. They are both educated and in Finance which is a good field especially in Toronto. Just do some professional Canadian courses to add to your resume, CSC, CFP, CFA , CGA, CMA, CA etc
The best option is the skilled worker program or Manitoba provincial nominee program. You become a PR upon your arrival in Canada and entitled to free health care, local tuition fees, no need of work permit. It will be very expensive coming as a student. You pay for healthcare out of pocket which is pricy and you pay intl student fees and you can't really work full time. Everything you need to make a decision is at www.cic.gc.ca don't let anyone discourage you. It's yours to discover. Canada is a great country! O Canada, we stand on God for thee grin meanwhile the cold is BRUTAL o. -35c just the other day...Arghhh. Nigeria will always be home anytime.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by stunning4real: 6:49am On Feb 28, 2015
babyosisi:

O chi m
You mean you and your husband cannot sit down together as man and wife and plan your future and you want strangers who don't know you,don't know details about your life to help you make a decision with something as important as this?
Oya why is the husband not the one asking these questions?
There is nothing I won't see in this place
See how women carry palava on their heads
Is the pregnancy you're carrying not enough?
Why not let the man handle this one
That's too hash. If you don't have any good advice for the op why not keep your mouth shut. What's wrong with her doing findings for her hubby when she has capacity to do it. I am sure you are single. Or if married then you don't love your man

4 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 6:51am On Feb 28, 2015
ccaramel:

Having lived 15 years in Toronto/ Calgary. Beelon is absolutely correct. You guys that immigrate to Canada from Europe ( mostly fake refugee claimants grin) always complain and can't cope here because you don't have a plan and mix with people that can't give you sound advise. Get away from the Jane/ Finch crew and mix with bright minds. I came to Canada as an international student for undergrad without knowing one person in this country. You can get a good car for $1000 max if you have the right links( bought a car within a year and had own basement apt working just a student part time job) you can Rent a very clean 2 bedroom apt/ condo. $1200 max per month Or not so clean for about $900. All utilities included. Heat in winter, ac in summer, water, hydro, laundry.
The OP and her husband will make it Canada if they plan ahead. They are both educated and in Finance which is a good field especially in Toronto. Just do some professional Canadian courses to add to your resume, CSC, CFP, CFA etc
The best option is the skilled worker program or Manitoba provincial nominee program. You become a PR upon your arrival in Canada and entitled to free health care, local tuition fees, no need of work permit. It will be very expensive coming as a student. You pay for healthcare out of pocket which is pricy and you pay intl student fees and you can't really work full time. Everything you need to make a decision is at www.cic.gc.ca don't let anyone discourage you. It's yours to discover. Canada is a great country! O Canada, we stand on God for thee grin meanwhile the cold is BRUTAL o. -35c just the other day...Arghhh. Nigeria will always be home anytime.
Thank you so much. We will explore the provincal nominee option. By Gods grace it will work out. Wow 15years that's a long time, thanks again. God bless u.

1 Like

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by ccaramel(f): 6:57am On Feb 28, 2015
babamajor:
Helo relocating to Canada wit ur husband without a work permit is goin to be a difficult option nd more ova u are expecting a babe. Though d govt Wil take care of d babe but for u nd ur husband to settle to life Wil be difficult if u dnt av a work permit. I visit Canada very offen nd Wil be Der again in two months time, nd frm my observations it's beta to go to Calgary or Mississauga cuz Der av low populations nd less stressful wen u are facing immigration wahala. Canada is more friendly unlike America wer I stay cuz an average Canadian is more friendly Dan an American. Toronto is more expensive but peaceful nd well organized. If d people dat invited u guys av a good job tins Wil be easier Cuz food is very Cheap abroad nd once u guys can eat nd av accommodation den it Wil be easier to find wat to do nd also find out frm d school u which to go if u are qualify to work on part time. But it's a risk wat takin rather Dan stayin in nija. Anoda advise is if u are fortunate to make it to Canada look for white people church cuz dey Wil be intrested in ur situation nd it help at a faster rate if u are lucky to meet d right people.

100% correct info. If one spouse is in school, the other can get an open work permit. The student too is allowed to work with conditions. Can't remember the rules again, been a while. They keep changing the rules but it's much more lenient than what it used to be. Also having your baby born in Canada is a plus. Especially if you come as a student.

1 Like

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by OXLANDOWN: 7:10am On Feb 28, 2015
hi

2 years ago, my self and my wife were faced with a similar position you are in now.I had left a banking job and business was not doing well.So, i decided we leave the country in search of a better life.While trying to get a visa for the family of 5, we where also trying scholarships to reduce the cost of the journey,as God will have it for us, my wife got a scholarship for a master and i was given full worker permit.it was not easy but today ,i am doing my own maters over here and she is preparing for her professional exams. Look all i can tell you is that sometimes you have to take a leap of faith to succeed in life.And remember bank job is not a job you should keep when you have an option because you can be kicked out at any time(God forbid)

4 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 7:15am On Feb 28, 2015
OXLANDOWN:
hi

2 years ago, my self and my wife were faced with a similar position you are in now.I had left a banking job and business was not doing well.So, i decided we leave the country in search of a better life.While trying to get a visa for the family of 5, we where also trying scholarships to reduce the cost of the journey,as God will have it for us, my wife got a scholarship for a master and i was given full worker permit.it was not easy but today ,i am doing my own maters over here and she is preparing for her professional exams. Look all i can tell you is that sometimes you have to take a leap of faith to succeed in life.And remember bank job is not a job you should keep when you have an option because you can be kicked out at any time(God forbid)
thanks for sharing ur experience
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by weaseloo: 7:34am On Feb 28, 2015
lighternote:
Hmmmmm!!! It is only a child that will tell you to quit ur job and run to Canada to face uncertainties. The ensuing tension and depression may crack ur relationship if care isn't taken. Pls, pls, my advice;
1. Let him go over to Canada for further studies while u stay back and face ur job. I know you will miss him but stay put with ur pregnancy and ur job, it is all for a while.
2. Let him make plans for inviting you over during your maternity leave (if possible take ur leave early enough before u look too bloated) so that u can ve ur baby over there and gain citizenship.
3. Come back to Nigeria joor and nurse ur baby and go back to ur God given job.
4. while doing all these, you allow him time to find his feet, settle accommodation and other provisions before you join him kpatakpata!
It isn't easy at all abroad especially ab initio.
It would ve bn easier if there's no forthcoming baby. As it is now, going to Canada without enough money and good job waiting while losing ur naija job is tantamount to small suicide. Take calculated risks. There is no midas touch anywhere, it takes a while to permeate the system.[color=#990000][/color]

Havent read all comments but this is best.
If you were not expecting a child, it would be easier to pick up and migrate. But with a child in the picture, it will be tough.
Let him go before you. I think that's the wisest this to do if you must. Obodo oyibo ain't easy at all.

1 Like

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by sukkot: 7:35am On Feb 28, 2015
ccaramel:

Having lived 15 years in Toronto/ Calgary. Beelon1020 is absolutely correct. You guys that immigrate to Canada from Europe ( mostly fake refugee claimants grin) always complain and can't cope here because you don't have a plan and mix with people that can't give you sound advise. Get away from the Jane/ Finch crew and mix with bright minds. I came to Canada as an international student for undergrad without knowing one person in this country. You can get a good car for $1000 max if you have the right links( bought a car within a year and had own basement apt working just a student part time job) you can Rent a very clean 2 bedroom apt/ condo. $1200 max per month Or not so clean for about $900. All utilities included. Heat in winter, ac in summer, water, hydro, laundry.
The OP and her husband will make it Canada if they plan ahead. They are both educated and in Finance which is a good field especially in Toronto. Just do some professional Canadian courses to add to your resume, CSC, CFP, CFA etc
The best option is the skilled worker program or Manitoba provincial nominee program. You become a PR upon your arrival in Canada and entitled to free health care, local tuition fees, no need of work permit. It will be very expensive coming as a student. You pay for healthcare out of pocket which is pricy and you pay intl student fees and you can't really work full time. Everything you need to make a decision is at www.cic.gc.ca don't let anyone discourage you. It's yours to discover. Canada is a great country! O Canada, we stand on God for thee grin meanwhile the cold is BRUTAL o. -35c just the other day...Arghhh. Nigeria will always be home anytime .

misery loves company lol. see how you expose yourself ? cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by ccaramel(f): 7:43am On Feb 28, 2015
sukkot:

misery loves company lol. see how you expose yourself ? cheesy
Misery? In Canada? I was only stating the obvious. I am even going Ice skating at the rink tomorrow. It's cold but if you dress warm and have a car, it's nothing. Honestly, If you didn't make it in Canada, it's either you are very lazy or do not have the qualifications to get a well paying job. Exporting is also a great business to be in. Opportunities abound and only pessimists will complain. Always look at the glass half full and be determined.

1 Like

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 7:44am On Feb 28, 2015
weaseloo:

Havent read all comments but this is best.
If you were not expecting a child, it would be easier to pick up and migrate. But with a child in the picture, it will be tough.
Let him go before you. I think that's the wisest this to do if you must. Obodo oyibo ain't easy at all.
thanks
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Pamcrest(f): 7:46am On Feb 28, 2015
Op, I feel u. Ordinarily I encourage married couples to live together in same city so wherever your husband goes, u go. But relocating to another country is very dicey....it's not as rosy as people think, esp in your kind of situation. I'm not very familiar with Canada but if it's similar to d US, I'm afraid if u accompany your husband while he's schooling there, u will not be allowed to work regardless of your qualification. If u both go to school, where will d living expenses come from, since your relocation will eat up everything u have? U didn't specify d type of help his uncle is promising.....but will d promise hold out?
My candid advice would be for u to remain here while your husband goes for his course, n hopefully gets a job afterwards, then u n d baby can go join him when things settle. This ensures u can continue to save money from your salary n u don't need to sell off your properties yet. Talk to your hubby again or get someone he truly respects to also explain things to him. Sometimes decisions taken when under pressure may end up badly. That's my fear for u both. Continue praying about it too. God will show u d right path.
My humble submission
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by tanidabi: 7:48am On Feb 28, 2015
@ op a lot of businesses are affected by the usd matter too,someone close to me is really affected too but what he did was to quickly diversify,the postponement of d elections also added to that most foreign coys are taking der money from naija,the easiest place to make money is in Naija,i like the decision u have made but at the same time u can't just decide to relocate cos a business is not working well,i work in bank nd evry year we are faced with the threat of who dey will sack at the end of d day we shld all have plan b,this same Canada u wan go too some pple wan come back to naija cos from d canada,God will guide u aright,
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by sukkot: 7:52am On Feb 28, 2015
ccaramel:

Misery? In Canada? I was only stating the obvious. I am even going Ice skating at the rink tomorrow. It's cold but if you dress warm and have a car, it's nothing. Honestly, If you didn't make it in Canada, it's either you are very lazy or do not have the qualifications to get a well paying job. Exporting is also a great business to be in. Opportunities abound and only pessimists will complain. Always look at the glass half full and be determined.
you dont get it. life is not about having a roof over your head and a lil car to drive. your spirit has to be nourished and happy too. what you have is called poverty mentality. i didnt go to canada looking for opportunities. i was young and was heavily into the NBA and most especially vince carter when he was with the toronto raptors. i was in toronto during the 2000 slam dunk contest when vince did that crazy dunk. i came for basketball. to be close to the raptors. come to find out after 2 months in the place, it was like hell. the snow on the street was like 10 inches. the cold was brutal. everyone looked miserable. black people there had no glow whatsoever. it was very depressing. i had to escape before i get depressed. i remember the streets though lol. bloor. spauldina, younge, etc etc

8 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by peedeeasobie(m): 7:52am On Feb 28, 2015
worry359:
Your husband has lost money in something that is not a real buisness, it is just like gambling.
Do not be deceived by sweet talk and promises, this is no way to plan a future.
Does your husband intend to sit at a computer all his life or will you make him go out to work.
There is no point spending your money if it only allows him to live the life of a waster.

I'm sure you didn't read the post...
kindly read it slowly and try to understand before insulting the man.

4 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by EMEzzy(m): 7:56am On Feb 28, 2015
managingpartner:
@ Emezzy, please throw more light on your course. Thank you
civil eng. 4 yr course with foundation,the school is rated number 2 in civil eng/architecture plus its always been my dream course,test of english IELTS and all those $hit.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

4 Beautiful Places You Should Visit In Africa In Your Lifetime / Inside Aksaray Underground Market Where Nigerians Buy Food In Turkey / Shocking: Popular Cities That Are Not Capitals Of Their Countries.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.