Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,561 members, 7,827,099 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:07 AM

Higher Education And The Female Child - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Higher Education And The Female Child (38563 Views)

Over Protectiveness Of The Female Child / 5 Masculine Chores I Did As A Female Child. / MALE Or FEMALE Child: Who Is More Expensive To Raise? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by safarigirl(f): 9:42pm On Mar 02, 2015
craziebone:

that it is happening to you doesn't mean it is happening to most girls. Girls are taken far more seriously than guys by uncles, auntys, parents cousins etc.

Talking about hustling while in school, guys do this far more than girls do. Many guys in school are into tutorials. How many girls are doing that? When it comes to being a brand ambassador, yes there are ladies there but we have men too. When it comes to mobilization of young people for political rallies, guys do it more. When it comes to photocopying and offering internet and barbing services close to school and by students, you find guys dominating it. When it comes to having viewing centres close to school and for students, guys are the ones who do it.

Infact, it is absolutely untrue what you said that parents believe girls can understand. Parents don't think like that! Instead, what's obtainable is that parents don't care about boys very much and they find it so easy to tell him "afterall, you are a boy".
lol. Na you know
Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by Nobody: 9:46pm On Mar 02, 2015
safarigirl:
I don't even get textbook money....I just photocopy materials and find my seniors who aren't using theirs anymore

Clothing money is out of the question sef, but we dey manage, wetin (wo)man go do?

Send me ur daddy's number...

1 Like

Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by IFELEKE(m): 10:00pm On Mar 02, 2015
OP,
Your article is wrong on many levels, the era of regarding the girl child as a liability is far gone.
By the grace of God I trained my younger sisters through university and believe me, what they got in a year was more than what I got my entire sojourn in school.
Whenever they ask for money, I assume they need more and I add accordingly. I remember paying double for a particular fee only for her to loan me money afterwards...
I have a daughter now and I know better...
Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by ejikeme(m): 10:15pm On Mar 02, 2015
safarigirl:
I know such girls as well. Difference is, I don't even got a cloth to cut smiley

Lots of people won't even understand, most girls don't even call their parents for money at all cuz they know the drill so they get jobs and stuff. If I must get a job, it has to be something that won't interfer with my schooling, apart from stuff like ushering (which I think is coded ashawo work) and the likes which I'm way too small (not young, just small) to get as jobs, what else is there really?

True. but i met girl at my work place. she was here for her intership (IT) program. she was selling clothing material and making beads. she said she's been doing it since she got into school.

1 Like

Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by Athanatos(m): 10:28pm On Mar 02, 2015
safarigirl:
Law student o....very nonsense course angry
Lol... Me too! What level ma,and what school?

Forgive my curiosity.
Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by Nobody: 10:31pm On Mar 02, 2015
safarigirl:
from your post, it's easy to decipher that you're part of the 21 million deranged people roaming the country

Meanwhile the topic posted on FP is NOT the message I was trying to pass across. Grow a brain or hush kiss
you are a LovePeddler and whoremonger. my madness is far more valuable than your wasted kitty. It is not my responsibilty that you write properly or that you take responsibility for your threads. If you have to be told to complain about your thread being misrepresented, then you're not only a prosstitiute, you're dense. wink kiss

Do us all a favour and pass on childbirth, don't want inbeciiles proliferated. Cheers. grin

1 Like

Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by safarigirl(f): 10:38pm On Mar 02, 2015
ejikeme:

True. but i met girl at my work place. she was here for her intership (IT) program. she was selling clothing material and making beads. she said she's been doing it since she got into school.
course of study most times determine if someone can go into part time bbusiness....besides, I'm not into buying and selling- too shy to approach people
Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by safarigirl(f): 10:39pm On Mar 02, 2015
Athanatos:
Lol... Me too! What level ma,and what school?

Forgive my curiosity.
200 level, Uniabuja, you?
Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by tpiah01: 10:40pm On Mar 02, 2015
safarigirl:
I don't even get textbook money....I just photocopy materials and find my seniors who aren't using theirs anymore

Clothing money is out of the question sef, but we dey manage, wetin (wo)man go do?

You whine a lot.
Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by ejikeme(m): 10:54pm On Mar 02, 2015
safarigirl:
course of study most times determine if someone can go into part time bbusiness....besides, I'm not into buying and selling- too shy to approach people

Shy? Approaching people? Every known work has to do with marketing your talents to people.
course of study in no way prevents pocket hustling.
Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by damiso(f): 11:00pm On Mar 02, 2015
Girls tend to get more money than boys At least from when i was university and most people I know.

Sometimes though what happens is daddy and mummy might give money for expression/ darling yaki but girl wants brazillian hair.Daddy and mummy buy or can afford Nokia but girl wants iphone or Samsung galaxy S5. grin grin

I can't stress how important it is to keep reaffirming to children (boys and girls) not to base their self worth on material things (its hard sha cos I remember how I too really wanted mocassins grin one time cos all my friends had them and i did not)

The values my parents instilled in me were so strong that I actually could not bring myself to be an aristo chic.I could not imagine going through all the stress 'runs girls' went through all for maybe 50k undecided at the most.(I knew runs girls back then and those gals used to be as broke as hell cheesy)..50k was big money back then don't get me wrong ( i probably never had that much money at any one time)but I just decided to try to manage what my parents gave me.If I wanted more I helped mum in her shop or we did coporate gifts together.My mum had been using my money to buy me stuff to sell from when I was in 100 level.I am happy I learnt to be self sufficient from a young age.

1 Like

Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by cococandy(f): 11:39pm On Mar 02, 2015
damiso:
Girls tend to get more money than boys At least from when i was university and most people I know.

Sometimes though what happens is daddy and mummy might give money for expression/ darling yaki but girl wants brazillian hair.Daddy and mummy buy or can afford Nokia but girl wants iphone or Samsung galaxy S5. grin grin

I can't stress how important it is to keep reaffirming to children (boys and girls) not to base their self worth on material things (its hard sha cos I remember how I too really wanted mocassins grin one time cos all my friends had them and i did not)

The values my parents instilled in me were so strong that I actually could not bring myself to be an aristo chic.I could not imagine going through all the stress 'runs girls' went through all for maybe 50k undecided at the most. I knew runs girls back then and those gals used to be as broke as hell cheesy) 50k was big money back then don't get me wrong ( i probably never had that much money at any one time)but I just decided to try to manage what my parents gave me.If I wanted more I helped mum in her shop or we did coporate gifts together.My mum had been using my money to buy me stuff to sell from when I was in 100 level.I am happy I learnt to be self sufficient from a young age.

Very true. They were the group who borrowed the most and lived lifestyles above their means. Even with constant aristoism, they never had enough because the pressure to keep up the big girl image was too much and money consuming.

1 Like

Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by OBlaize(f): 12:28am On Mar 03, 2015
O seriosly, I've read your comments a thousand times and boy you really are coming of as a cracked up cd plate! Come off it man, if you're happy tapping that foreign that's your juice to swallow don't keep whining about it like you're trying to prove something to yoursefl, if we check well now, you're probably one overblown white woman's boytoy cheesy grin
searching4love:
undecided

OP YOUR ARTICLE REEKS OF PURE IGNORANCE AND SIMPLY SHOWS HOW LAZY AND DEMANDING NIGERIAN GIRLS OF THIS GENERATION ARE undecided

BEEN A RUNS GIRLS IS A CHOICE EVERY GIRL HAS TO MAKE DUE TO PEER PRESSURE IN SCHOOL. WE HAVE SEEN GIRLS FROM WEALTHY HOMES WITH REASONABLE POCKET MONEY DO RUNS. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH PARENTS.

ALL YOU NIGERIAN GIRLS ARE WAYWARD AND MATERIALISTIC IN NATURE. YOU ARE ALL PROMISCUOUS AND MENTALLY LAZY TO THINK OF A LITTLE BUSINESS TO START UP IN SCHOOL.

INSTEAD YOU NIGERIAN GIRLS SEE RUNS AS A EASY WAY OUT AND YOU START JUMPING FROM DICK TO DICK ALL IN THE NAME OF MAKING A LIVING.

THIS IS WHY I DECIDED TO MARRY A FOREIGN LADY.

#TEAM FOREIGN GIRLS cool

3 Likes

Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by Ewuro4: 1:09am On Mar 03, 2015
naijababe:
Boys getting more money than girls, this is news to me.

Don't mind OP jare.
Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by Nobody: 6:19am On Mar 03, 2015
safarigirl:

I think people should understand this to be an experience. This is what you've been seeing in your own surroundings, and through your own eyes. It need not be pushed aside to make way for their own view(s) (as if that somehow negates the subject of the matter). In a way, I can relate. My own parents were like this. Not because they lacked, or didn't want to prioritize my needs/wants. Far from it. It was systematic. And frustrating. I couldn't understand how, or why my parents would choose to withhold that type of support, especially as I saw the parents of my peers practically throwing their money at them, lol. I was the last one home. It didn't make any sense. But as of then to date, anything you could possibly think to name, I have paid for, and stand to own through my own will: phones, laptops, car, out-of-pocket tuition balances, books, material wants, etc. I soon understood their reasoning, and saw the bigger picture. To start, I had a comfortable roof over my head, public transportation, and opportunities just waiting to be accessed. Why shouldn't they expect me focus my own effort into building the kind of future (and present) I want for myself?

Your parents, for whatever reason, are not able to help you out as much you'd hope. I know it must be difficult, and my situation is perhaps different from yours, but you may have to try being your own picker-upper. What are your options? You mentioned an elder sister that was once in that same boat, how/what did she do? Have you expressed your concerns to your family?

Its a long road ahead, but you're an intelligent person.
Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by Athanatos(m): 6:47am On Mar 03, 2015
safarigirl:
200 level, Uniabuja, you?

200L Unizik.

Nice meeting a fellow lawyer in equity.
Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by jerumax: 7:09am On Mar 03, 2015
Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by Nobody: 7:19am On Mar 03, 2015
OBlaize:
O seriosly, I've read your comments a thousand times and boy you really are coming of as a cracked up cd plate! Come off it man, if you're happy tapping that foreign that's your juice to swallow don't keep whining about it like you're trying to prove something to yoursefl, if we check well now, you're probably one overblown white woman's boytoy cheesy grin

Who the Bleep are you

Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by OBlaize(f): 9:05am On Mar 03, 2015
grin grin grin grin grin
So the thing pain you.... Hahahahahahahahahahahahah
Abeg go and sit down, fake Nigga like you, you should be on Trisha, no wonder you r "searching4love", foreign girls my natural black booty grin grin cheesy
searching4love:

Who the Bleep are you
Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by Nobody: 9:12am On Mar 03, 2015
OBlaize:
grin grin grin grin grin
Abeg go and sit down, fake Nigga like you, you should be on Trisha, no wonder you r "searching4love", foreign girls my natural black booty grin grin cheesy

Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by safarigirl(f): 9:50am On Mar 03, 2015
tpiah01:

You whine a lot.
thank you
Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by safarigirl(f): 10:04am On Mar 03, 2015
ejikeme:

Shy? Approaching people? Every known work has to do with marketing your talents to people.
course of study in no way prevents pocket hustling.
I'm a writer. It keeps me away from face-to-face interaction. For instance, here on NL, I market my talents to people, but not in their presence

That's a form of marketing I'm comfortable with and a job as a writer for some mag or something would be most convenient.
Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by safarigirl(f): 10:37am On Mar 03, 2015
Athanatos:

200L Unizik.

Nice meeting a fellow lawyer in equity.
nice to meet you as well smiley
Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by OBlaize(f): 3:20pm On Mar 03, 2015
Laughing in swahili cheesy cheesy cheesy

I know right, at least that doesn't stop me from having an opinion and freely expressing it...

Get off Lala land chimp and search around the zoo for your very own monkey... grin

I rep naija and we rock![quote author=searching4love post=31253567][/quote]
Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by Subom1(f): 7:34pm On Mar 03, 2015
SirShymexx:
Safarigirl,

Let me bless ya thread with what the ghost of Malcolm X said:

"in every country you go to, usually the degree of progress can never be separated from the woman. If you’re in a country that’s progressive, the woman is progressive. If you’re in a country that reflects the consciousness toward the importance of education, it’s because the woman is aware of the importance of education.

But in every backward country you’ll find the women are backward, and in every country where education is not stressed it’s because the women don’t have education. So one of the things I became thoroughly convinced of in my recent travels is the importance of giving freedom to the women, giving her education, and giving her the incentive to get out there and put the same spirit and understanding in her children. And I am frankly proud of the contributions that our women have made in the struggle for freedom and I’m one person who’s for giving them all the leeway possible because they’ve made a greater contribution than many of us men.
"

Malcolm X - El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz - 1925 to 1965. R.I.P the great one.
I had to scroll up twice to make sure that I was not seeing things. Am shocked, was not expecting this from you. Nice quote smiley
Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by tpiah01: 7:56pm On Mar 03, 2015
craziebone:
no mind that woman, to put it nicely. And that man @sirshymexx was there backing her up with some kind of false propaganda.

shyymexx always backs up anything that looks scammish, 419 or just generally anti-social.

no be today.

1 Like

Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by Subom1(f): 8:32pm On Mar 03, 2015
tpiah01:

shyymexx always backs up anything that looks scammish, 419 or just generally anti-social.

no be today.
What is it with you two?
Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by SirShymexx: 11:09pm On Mar 03, 2015
Subom1:
I had to scroll up twice to make sure that I was not seeing things. Am shocked, was not expecting this from you. Nice quote smiley

What were you expecting?

I've always been for women empowerment, the right way, not the way the miserable and illiterate plonkers on this forum go about it. That said, I also don't believe in feminism and what it entails from a black perspective cos the ideology wasn't created to cater to black women and/or women of colour in the first place. We've always had independent black women from time (since you've known me on here for time, you should've seen all the threads I created under my old handle about great African women of yore) - and there's absolutely no need for that nonsense.

Anyway, the quote I posted is self-explanatory - and Malcolm X was alluding to black women of his era, when Afrocentricism (the black is beautiful era) was in vogue - not the blinkered black women of today.
Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by tpiah01: 12:41am On Mar 04, 2015
Subom1:
What is it with you two?

what is it with YOU?

why catching feelings on his behalf, i see him as he is, you see him as you wish he is, why cant you agree to disagree.
Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by sigmundfreud(m): 3:12am On Mar 04, 2015
In the end, its the choices we make that matters...
I suspect safarigirl's context is not the usual parent-child relationship, largely due to the absence of an advocate to plead your case at home.
From the responses here , your claims are NOT the popular ones but it still does not invalidate your experience or belittle the challenges of your circumstances. Its a phase and it will pass.
But in the end, its the choices you make that will matter.
Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by Olaone1: 1:03pm On Mar 04, 2015
tpiah01:

what is it with YOU?

why catching feelings on his behalf, i see him as he is, you see him as you wish he is, why cant you agree to disagree.
T-baby, how ya? kiss kiss kiss
Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by otunbadan(m): 2:49pm On Mar 04, 2015
OBlaize:
grin grin grin grin grin

Don't answer that child

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

I Had Put An End To My Marriage / See How Much I Give My Wife To Cook Food For Us Everyday / Which Lady Is a 'Wife Material'?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.