Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,427 members, 7,819,554 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:02 PM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 - Travel (149) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 (893471 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (146) (147) (148) (149) (150) (151) (152) ... (333) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by MsHighlyFavored: 12:35am On Jun 15, 2015
OMary83:
For mums in Los Angeles,centinela is organizing a baby shower on 15th June by 10am to 12noon.There is usually freebies
f

Is the baby shower for mums using centinela or is it open for any pregnant mum in l.a that wants to attend?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Hawttattoo: 12:46am On Jun 15, 2015
Reporting Live from the city of Houston. Lol.. In the spirit of giving back to this forum that has made this journey successful.i left my state with hubby to lagos on friday to avoid being stressed on Saturday. A few minutes before leaving for the airport,I noticed I could not find my compression tight. Hmmmm tight that I ordered all the way from Abuja undecided
Got to the airport some few minutes past 6 o'clock armed with my $4k I needed more dollars to add so ended up buying $5k more at 222..
Checked in and hubby couldn't stop laughing at me in the wheelchair. Thank God I requested for it.
Flew Delta, paid for economy comfort which is a little roomy than the normal cabin. Got to Atlanta today about 10:15am Nigerian time. Got wheeled to POE and the following ensued

Cp: good morning
Me: good morning
Cp:what are you here for?
Me:vacation and childbirth
Cp:Okk how much do you have on you?
Me:9k,some coins and my card
Cp:have you contacted any hospital?
Me: yes I have quotation from 2 hospitals.
Cp: how much is their bill?
Me: 5k something
Cp: is your husband coming?
Me: yes before I put to bed.
Cp: ok madam. It's not a crime to come and have your baby here. Make sure you pay all your bills. Don't access any Medicaid.when next you are coming bring all your receipts.
In all I spent about 2mins with him
And that was all... No secondary inspection no agriculture even though I came with a truck load of food.lol

Resting and waiting for my 1st appointment on Wednesday.

23 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by hadetola: 12:49am On Jun 15, 2015
Papas and mamas. Is it ok to just collect the Nigeria passport and travel with the baby back. Then come back to process the USA passport latter or ask relative to pick up the passport and send. There is no time to wait to collect. It's seems Tennessee takes like 2monthbyo get;BC
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by FinanceFitness: 2:38am On Jun 15, 2015
I think it's possible. A friend left Atlanta with just Nigerian passport and had them mail the American one to her relative who later sent it to her.

I've also read that it's not okay for an American citizen to leave the U.S. without their American passport.

A bit of research should therefore be done on the legality of this option.

hadetola:
Papas and mamas. Is it ok to just collect the Nigeria passport and travel with the baby back. Then come back to process the USA passport latter or ask relative to pick up the passport and send. There is no time to wait to collect. It's seems Tennessee takes like 2monthbyo get;BC
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Shawbabe: 6:12am On Jun 15, 2015
hadetola:

I don't think u can even process naija passport for am without BC as well. Check tho
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by sayoberry(f): 8:36am On Jun 15, 2015
favoredgal:

Get the nigerian card, there are some immunization that is peculiar to Africa that's not on that card. Like opv.

To go to skl even some schools here you need to show proof of immunization that's what that statement means

There's actually OPV on it. The only one that is not there is BCG. And my clinic sef dey do yanga, say I must collect hospital card for them first before immu card. No so I bring out my Texas card for them and with my straight face "their pediatrician in America (which I never met grin) said they should use this card. So I'm using it.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by queenestty: 9:49am On Jun 15, 2015
Hawtatoo that's a wonderful POE experience.

Have been a silent reader for some time now. Nice forum. Congratulations to the beautiful mums who have giving birth already

I pray for safe delivery for those who are yet to be

I pray my POE will be Swt as this ooo. I tap into urs.

Congratulations once again

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by kaakaa(f): 9:50am On Jun 15, 2015
OMary83:
For mums in Los Angeles,centinela is organizing a baby shower on 15th June by 10am to 12noon.There is usually freebies

Good for those on ground now..... please am traveling later but seriously looking for affordable accomodation, can you help me out with that....please o.... will be using st francis though....
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by OMary83: 10:35am On Jun 15, 2015
[quote author=MsHighlyFavored post=34777712]f

It is open for any pregnant mum dat wants to attend,u can even go with a friend dats not pregnant too.u must not use centinela,just say Mbagwu is ur doc.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by OMary83: 10:44am On Jun 15, 2015
Check airbnb website for accommodation close to st francis,i asked my host if he can source a place,said he will check around. seems my host has been able to make head way abt accommodation.pm if u are traveling to la next month,I need to get info of how long u intend to stay,how many rooms in case u are with family etc.@justwise,am just trying to help because Mbagwu is affordable and people have been asking me severally abt accommodation,no be advert biko.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Gloriagee(f): 11:28am On Jun 15, 2015
Hi all,

Please for mums who have actually used either doctors para ti or mihs, what was the experience like? Would you advise someone with a complex pregnancy to go this route?

I have read the thread but I'm just worried bout the quality of healthcare.

Thank you soooo much!
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by shelly23: 12:01pm On Jun 15, 2015
I also prefer pampers swaddlers, but note that they are practically non existent in Nigeria, so buy/ship enough to last you.

I bought up to size 3 and switched to huggies from size 4 which I could easily find in Lagos. My son used size 3 for about 5 or 6 months though.

sucre26:
Mamas in the house, please which is better pampers swaddlers or huggies?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by shelly23: 12:03pm On Jun 15, 2015
I was on that flight too. Were you in seat 17A? I noticed a few preggies on the flight and was secretly wondering if they were nairalanders lol!!!

Hawttattoo:
Reporting Live from the city of Houston. Lol.. In the spirit of giving back to this forum that has made this journey successful.i left my state with hubby to lagos on friday to avoid being stressed on Saturday. A few minutes before leaving for the airport,I noticed I could not find my compression tight. Hmmmm tight that I ordered all the way from Abuja undecided
Got to the airport some few minutes past 6 o'clock armed with my $4k I needed more dollars to add so ended up buying $5k more at 222..
Checked in and hubby couldn't stop laughing at me in the wheelchair. Thank God I requested for it.
Flew Delta, paid for economy comfort which is a little roomy than the normal cabin. Got to Atlanta today about 10:15am Nigerian time. Got wheeled to POE and the following ensued

Cp: good morning
Me: good morning
Cp:what are you here for?
Me:vacation and childbirth
Cp:Okk how much do you have on you?
Me:9k,some coins and my card
Cp:have you contacted any hospital?
Me: yes I have quotation from 2 hospitals.
Cp: how much is their bill?
Me: 5k something
Cp: is your husband coming?
Me: yes before I put to bed.
Cp: ok madam. It's not a crime to come and have your baby here. Make sure you pay all your bills. Don't access any Medicaid.when next you are coming bring all your receipts.
In all I spent about 2mins with him
And that was all... No secondary inspection no agriculture even though I came with a truck load of food.lol

Resting and waiting for my 1st appointment on Wednesday.

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Hawttattoo: 12:27pm On Jun 15, 2015
shelly23:
I was on that flight too. Were you in seat 17A? I noticed a few preggies on the flight and was secretly wondering if they were nairalanders lol!!!

Yes i was on seat 17A. Where you the preggy on low cut and grey gown?

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by shelly23: 3:55pm On Jun 15, 2015
Lol! No that wasn't me. I had my baby with me, I sat in the middle row, 18E.

[quote author=Hawttattoo post=34789631][/quote]
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by stlov: 4:17pm On Jun 15, 2015
Hello wonderful mamas and papas. Update from Houston :
It was fun all the way last night in Houston. Soul Care Concierge organised a fun filled party for pregnant mamas. The groove no get part two. There were lots of to eat and drink. The DJ was on point. See preggy mamas digging it out on d dance floor. D funniest part of it was dat doctors were present in case any pregnant mama fell into labour. Dr. Amajor was there live with other two doctors. Dat lady fine no b small. Come get brain join. Na God sha. If u missed it, u missed a lot.

7 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Hawttattoo: 4:21pm On Jun 15, 2015
shelly23:
Lol! No that wasn't me. I had my baby with me, I sat in the middle row, 18E.

Oh I remember now...
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by darellone: 4:32pm On Jun 15, 2015
I'm interested in Soul Care accomodation oooo. Please how much is a room self contain ?

stlov:
It was fun all the way last night in Houston. Soul Care Concierge organised a fun filled party for pregnant mamas. The groove no get part two. There were lots of to eat and drink. The DJ was on point. See preggy mamas digging it out on d dance floor. D funniest part of it was dat doctors were present in case any pregnant mama fell into labour. Dr. Amajor was there live with other two doctors. Dat lady fine no b small. Come get brain join. Na God sha. If u missed it, u missed a lot.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by darellone: 4:36pm On Jun 15, 2015
I'm interested in Soul Care accommodation oooo. Please how much is a room self contain ?

stlov:
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Grace28: 6:46pm On Jun 15, 2015
Greetings to everyone, most importantly...all pregnant women, expectant mothers, and all been there done that mothers. May God visit every family with the blessings of The Lord.

A silent follower I am. But I tot to give feedback when I am settled. I am also grateful to these forum....thankful to the likes of Tvegas, as I downloaded every of his script as my guide. My case was a bit different reason why I didn't have gist for visa aspect as I qualified under Visa waiver program(VWP). So for those that doubt entry to have your child under VWP. It's possible to go and have your baby, provided you calculate your stay to be within 90days. ( say 3months). However, if you plan to stay longer, please apply for your B1/B2 visa. That said, every other rule applies, POE rules, have enough cash, and every other things necessary.

I had my baby in April, baby came a week earlier to EDD. I used Dr. Fagbohun, and Oakbend Medical Center. I had asked Fagbohun what to do and I followed his instruction. Never use an ambulance on emergency, except of course you can afford it, and they might not take you to the hospital you've registered with.

Part of my experience that I wish to share and cannot be over emphasized is Never make a mistake when filling the birth certificate form and also pray that the person handling doesn't make a mistake, because it takes the same process to amend. I had my baby on a Saturday, and was ready for discharge on Sunday, so I didn't get to see the birth certificate officer one on one.

To cut the story short, There was a mistake on the form for bc which had obviously reflected on the bc itself , which had already been prepared before I got a verification note via mail. By the time I asked to change the error, thinking what's the big deal and hoping it won't be a big deal. It indeed wasn't a joke. It takes 6-8weeks to amend birth certificates and 10 to 15 days on expedited. Amendment request is sent to Austin, TX, which is where the amended copy comes from.

It wasn't funny, called Oakbend took it up and sent for an amendment, which seemed visible to get it and began process of passport and visa, like a flash two weeks passed by, BC wasn't ready, then panic set in.

We had to follow up personally with the Ausitn office. We got it on a Wednesday,submitted for passport sameday, got the passport on Thursday. Sent it for Nigeria visa on Saturday, got it on Monday, left USA on Thursday. That's a roller coaster if you ask me.

Give all Glory to God. Please ask any questions ...and. Let's see if I can be of help.

Thanks all.

17 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by favoredgal: 7:09pm On Jun 15, 2015
sayoberry:

There's actually OPV on it. The only one that is not there is BCG. And my clinic sef dey do yanga, say I must collect hospital card for them first before immu card. No so I bring out my Texas card for them and with my straight face "their pediatrician in America (which I never met grin) said they should use this card. So I'm using it.

Ok there was no opv in mine cuz my daughter missed opv0 and bcg

Though she took the bcg here but 0pv was gone past

Anyways look at the nigerian one and compare well!
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by princezino(m): 12:26am On Jun 16, 2015
**emerging from #Ghostmode**

Thanks folks and join me in an owambe mood as wifey's mum has been granted her visa today after a very brief interview session. Sharing the transcript of the interview below..

VO: Where are you going to in the US?
MIL: Texas
VO: Do you have family in there?
MIL: Yes but they are in in New Jersey. I will not be visiting them because I am going with my daughter and her family to Texas for holiday.
VO: What do you do?
MIL: I have a shop in front of my house and I sell gift items
VO: Are you married?
MIL: Yes.
VO: Who is paying for your trip?
MIL: My son-in-law will be responsible for me.
VO: OK. Pick up your visa on Wednesday and enjoy your stay in the US.

No request for documents.. nothing.. even though she was armed with the burden of proof, neatly arranged and tagged by myself.

Now we are set to leave by the end of the month.. Wifey + grandma + #1 + #2 and myself. Extended stays wouldn't work so we've pre-arranged a 4 month lease for a 2BR apartment. I can now safely deposit them and scurry back to the rat race after the first doc appointment.

Thanks folks... I really learnt a ton from part 1 and part 2..and coached her prior to her interview with very useful info. Even though she had 2 previous UK visas for past vacations with us I was really apprehensive due to the invaluable nature of her presence for this particular mission.

Next stop: Dallas POE. Anyhow..#GodWillAlwaysWin

7 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Amother4life: 12:28am On Jun 16, 2015
hadetola:

A United States citizen must always depart and reenter the country on a US passport.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by hadetola: 1:05am On Jun 16, 2015
Amother4life:

A United States citizen must always depart and reenter the country on a US passport.
thanks another life. Is that an authoritative statement.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Toks07: 1:34am On Jun 16, 2015
Hi everyone.
Pls has anyone fly Qatar airline after 33 weeks and do you fill any medic form apart from the fit to fly letter from a Doctor? How important is this medic form?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by hadetola: 1:43am On Jun 16, 2015
Shawbabe:

I don't think u can even process naija passport for am without BC as well. Check tho
. I

I heard you can use the hospital record to do the Nigeria passport.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by hadetola: 1:45am On Jun 16, 2015
How long does it take to get the passport. Is it the same process to get passport in all the States
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by hadetola: 5:18am On Jun 16, 2015
FinanceFitness:
I think it's possible. A friend left Atlanta with just Nigerian passport and had them mail the American one to her relative who later sent it to her.

I've also read that it's not okay for an American citizen to leave the U.S. without their American passport.

A bit of research should therefore be done on the legality of this option.

halo finance fitness can you please find out from your friend on how she got the naija passport and travelled with it. Plllleeasseee
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Amother4life: 5:58am On Jun 16, 2015
hadetola:

thanks another life. Is that an authoritative statement.

Everyone who enters an airport, including babies, needs to show some form of ID, but while a government-issued photo ID is required of adults, often a birth certificate will do just fine for infants and children when traveling domestically. For a journey outside the country, however, each passenger, regardless of age, must possess a valid passport. Make sure your infant has the proper ID to board the plane before you reach the airport, or your trip might be cut drastically short. Like I earlier mentioned your U.S citizen baby requires a US passport to leave the country.

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by FinanceFitness: 6:24am On Jun 16, 2015
You will still need the BC for Nigerian passport from my experience, but again nothing is impossible with Nigerians. Since yours appear to be a special case, maybe you should speak to Ed and Tanko or call the Nigerian embassy directly on what your options are. Will confirm later and revert.

hadetola:

halo finance fitness can you please find out from your friend on how she got the naija passport and travelled with it. Plllleeasseee
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by xyzabcuo: 9:16am On Jun 16, 2015
hello house,

Was at the US embassy yesterday for my visa B2 but that mean black lady refused me...hmm.thought it was a joke when people complain about her.She practically refused everyone that went to her stand except one lions club official..apparently she didn't know how else to refuse her because she kept asking and probing.The woman said she had visited about 10 different countries,she mentioned them.Shes one really an unhappy lady.

Anyway ,was asked what i was going to do in US, i said to deliver my babies (she looked at me abi my tummy),are you married?-yes.what does your husband do?- i told her.do you have any kids yet?-yes two,seeking better medical care.where in the US are you going? -Phoenix,Arizona.what do you do?do you work?- yes mentioned the name of the company but she chose to hear another thing(i corrected her).what do you do for company Bleep?-told her.How much do you earn?-i told her.she says okay and all this while shes typing away.
Have you contacted any doctor?- (its MIHS financial eligibility appointment letter i have with a breakdown of the costs)i am in contact with the financial eligibility specialist that will sign me on the the non residents maternity package on arrival.how much is the bill?-i told her approximately $7000.what is your budget?-i told her.may i see your bank statements?--handed them to her.Are you travelling alone?-yes but my mum will join me to take care of me from Canada,she has a valid b1/b2 visa.Does she live there?-no shes went visiting my sister with my father.Do you have any relatives in the US?-yes i do.my uncle lives in NC,Have you ever traveled out of Nigeria?-yes UAE-dubai /abu dhabi, i see you were refused a UK visa why?..i said bla bla bla...okay. she typed a few things and said unfortunately ma'am i don't think you qualify for the visa but you can re apply again anytime.I asked why?she says unfortunately i cannot tell you here and now but here is a letter.please read it.she handed me that general refusal letter under section 214b on a blue paper...( i may have forgotten one or two questions sha cos she drilled me in a short time)lol.aha she asked when are you due i said September and how long i intended to stay-i said 2 months..

so now my question is where exactly did i miss it and what will prove circumstances have changed as the lady did not tell me if i was ineligible because of no strong ties at home,financial,if am a terrorist, if they suspect i will suddenly decide to abandon my husband and two kids,leave my good job here to start washing plates there...i no sabi. infact when the security asked me to go her stand,seeing how the woman had refused almost 10 people except one or two i should have refused to go there but am like,if God does not allow this despite my truthfulness and honesty then let it be.i summoned up courage and went to the stand.only to be refused?at this rate US embassy dey use us do kalo kalo and serious fund raising.(meanwhile Nigerians can lie for Africa oh!!! so desperately!even some elderly people you don't expect want to run away sadi was shy- still happy i came clean with no web of lies.lol)

So Please advise oh...i will apply one more time but am thinking of using a hospital at NC where my uncle leaves,tell him to get a correct doc appointment and etc.Mayernity bills are too expensive there sha but will try.#incase at first u don't succeed,you can dust it off and try again abi?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (146) (147) (148) (149) (150) (151) (152) ... (333)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Polish Student Visa / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.