Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,153 members, 7,811,303 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:46 AM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 - Travel (258) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 (891906 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (255) (256) (257) (258) (259) (260) (261) ... (333) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by firsttymum(f): 2:38pm On Aug 28, 2015
Shelly23 nice idea .... Thanks
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Bbsy: 4:35pm On Aug 28, 2015
Hi everyone,
Am a firt timer and have been reading ds thread from part 1. Am due december 2015 and I got my visa in April with my family for my sisters graduation which we eventually ddnt go for cos she wasnt giving enough time off work as she is a Doc. in Nigeria here.
1) my sister filled that i wasnt married, which i was as i got married in march.( that is not even wt is bothering me)
2)am planning on having my baby in houston (Dr Fagbohun & Oakbend ) already have email correspondence from them.
3) called the US embassy about my change and they told me over the form that i already have the visa that i do not need to contact them ( gave them my passport information) but the lady directed me to this CBP site where entered a message nd told them that my intention to come to the US has changed but ddnt mention its for childbirth as i expect them to email me for further question which they didnt but rather reply me via mail and said "if my visa allowed me for the purpose am coming for then there is no issue but my enterance is dependent on CBP officer" just like the embassy mention in their reply.
Please note that I was barely a month preg or so when we got the visa in April
My question now is that am scared of sending mail to the embassy of my change of intent ( note that I have not used the visa) as i have read a story in part 1 that som1s visa was recalled or so and another person was called back for interview.
Am planning on travelling with my Mum mid Oct and am not really showing, should I try my luck at POE and if ask about giving then I should spill and show them my Doc mail, money and other information they might ask.
Plus I printed out the mail I received from CBP ppl.
See the picture attached for their response (upper was my mil and below is there response).
So sorry for the long story. Pls I need your response and be nice pls

2 Shares

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by bestnews: 6:03pm On Aug 28, 2015
Nogen:
I went , I saw and I conquered to the Glory of God. Finally made it back home with my bundles of joy after a 3 month sojourn in the States.

Travelled at 27 weeks and made it to El Paso from Dallas in one piece. Met some wonderful mums and dads there, and most of them have become friends for life.

At 34 weeks 4 days, I went for my routine check with the doctor and she insisted the babies must be taken out because I was about to have odema. My legs were so huge and dripping water. Asides that, I was doing great and the babies had more than enough amiotic fluid and doing awesome in the womb. The doctor was concerned I might have blood clothing and seizures if the babies were not taken out immediately. I was worried that the babies might end up in the NICU considering how expensive it can be. But , what mattered most was the lives of my babies. Thank God, they had no issues with the lungs as they were all fully developed. They still went to the NICU for them to gain some weight and properly checked. I got discharged 2 days after a CS delivery hale and hearty while my babies were kept back at the hospital.

They didn't stay long though but I was wondering how much dollar bill as I was going to get for the time spent at the NICU. I patiently waited for the bill to come and it didn't shock me one bit. I laughed so hard when I got the NICU bills. By this time , I have paid all other bills for delivery at the hospital and my doctor's fees?

I told them point blank I was not interested in any form of insurance but they have to make the bill reasonable for me to pay . The negotiations began and we discussed and haggle back and forth until w decisions were reached. The 1st one was to take a payment plan after paying a certain amount of money to the hospital or pay some amount out rightly and have the whole thing squashed. I chose the 2nd option. Didn't want to owe a dime.

We reached a reasonable agreement and payements were made. I collected all my zero balance receipts from the hospital, the doctor and the children's pediatrician all signed and sealed with an accompanying letter to say I am not owing the hospital. I collected all necessary travel documents for the babies. I didn't go for.a visa or Nigerian passports for the babies. I opted for another option which is uncommonly explored and for it in 2 days for a fee less than the visa fee.

We are in Nigeria now hale and hearty. Started with immunizations already and circumssion to follow next week. Wishing the rest of you on THIS journey an amazing experience.

Congratulations Your story is amazing,
I am singing amazing grace how sweet that sounds.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by twingirls: 6:24pm On Aug 28, 2015
kiboe:

Hi,I am a jan mum too,I totally understand how you feel,last week I was totally clueless and confused,I did read part 1 and to be honest it was very helpful,first thing I did was to send out emails to doctors within Maryland and Houston area,I got responses from most of them,but like someone advised me , maryland is a no go area,and it is true,I didn't want to be surprised eventually with gbese so I have settled for Houston.i contacted the famous Dr fagbohun and he responded quickly,I will be using him because he has mostly good reviews and he seems experienced.As for accommodation,I contacted intown suites today and got a confirmation from them,I haven't settled on this though,I will still be looking for other options.these are the steps I have taken so far.

Well done, iv contacted dr F too, I guess I'm going with him. I tried intown suites and the least is 239. 99 per week, 10 weeks will be Around 2399.99. Have you gotten a cheaper option? Please let me know.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Amother4life: 6:33pm On Aug 28, 2015
Austine2020:
Congrats & thank God that everything went well, welcome back. Pls I just want to ask what other option u used apart from obtaining Nig visa and Nig passport for your babies to travel home?.Atleast it can be of help for someone on this forum.

I can't think of anything else outside an Emergency Travel Certificate. Funny thing is that according to the immigration laws these are supposed to be issued to citizens who misplaced or had their passports stolen.
This certificate is issued to Nigerians who lose their passport while abroad. This certificate helps them to return to Nigeria. An Emergency Travel Certificate is usually valid for one journey to Nigeria only and must be surrendered to immigration authorities at the port of entry.

Requirements for Obtaining an Emergency Travel Certificate

Proof of citizenship
Police report
Return Ticket to Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Amother4life: 6:42pm On Aug 28, 2015
Bbsy:
Hi everyone,
Am a firt timer and have been reading ds thread from part 1. Am due december 2015 and I got my visa in April with my family for my sisters graduation which we eventually ddnt go for cos she wasnt giving enough time off work as she is a Doc. in Nigeria here.
1) my sister filled that i wasnt married, which i was as i got married in march.( that is not even wt is bothering me)
2)am planning on having my baby in houston (Dr Fagbohun & Oakbend ) already have email correspondence from them.
3) called the US embassy about my change and they told me over the form that i already have the visa that i do not need to contact them ( gave them my passport information) but the lady directed me to this CBP site where entered a message nd told them that my intention to come to the US has changed but ddnt mention its for childbirth as i expect them to email me for further question which they didnt but rather reply me via mail and said "if my visa allowed me for the purpose am coming for then there is no issue but my enterance is dependent on CBP officer" just like the embassy mention in their reply.
My question now is that am scared of sending mail to the embassy of my change of intent ( note that I have not used the visa) as i have read a story in part 1 that som1s visa was recalled or so and another person was called back for interview.
Am planning on travelling with my Mum mid Oct and am not really showing, should I try my luck at POE and if ask about giving then I should spill and show them my Doc mail, money and other information they might ask.
See the picture attached for their response (upper was my mil and below is there response).

You sent an email to CBP without including specifics . Obviously they'll send a generic reply to you. I believe you were scared of mentionin your condition but now you will have to face them when you arrive POE. My advice: choose a "friendly " POE to avoid stories that touch the heart. Go with enough cash and your doctors correspondence. Good luck

PS: I hope the lie about not being married doesn't come back to bite you in the a** whenever your hubby decides to also travel to the states.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Nogen: 7:05pm On Aug 28, 2015
Austine2020:
Congrats & thank God that everything went well, welcome back. Pls I just want to ask what other option u used apart from obtaining Nig visa and Nig passport for your babies to travel home?.Atleast it can be of help for someone on this forum.

Thank you all. I applied for an Emergency Travelling Card for each child at the Embassy. At the arrival in Lagos or Abuja or PH, the immigration will collect the original copy from you. You need all documents for visa processing except the baby's US passport. It costs 270 dollars each and I got them in 2 days. When you get it , make a copy and keep. You will need it when you are processing your baby's Nigerian passport here in Nigeria. The immigration will ask you how you brought the baby into the country since he or she doesn't have a visa. You submit the photocopy to them there.

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Nogen: 7:06pm On Aug 28, 2015
ebonychic18:
@Nogen Wow I cannot thank God enough for you. God is Great! And your birth picture really went viral. I saw it on some of my contacts list. To God be all the Glory. God the greatest provider and supplier will replenish your pockets because 3 at once in NICU??!! It is well. Wish you all the best and welcome to motherhood.

Thanks my sister. Na God win at last dear. Amen to all the prayers and good wishes.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Zedaii: 7:28pm On Aug 28, 2015
Nogen:
I went , I saw and I conquered to the Glory of God. Finally made it back home with my bundles of joy after a 3 month sojourn in the States.

At 34 weeks 4 days, I went for my routine check with the doctor and she insisted the babies must be taken out because I was about to have odema. My legs were so huge and dripping water. Asides that, I was doing great and the babies had more than enough amiotic fluid and doing awesome in the womb. The doctor was concerned I might have blood clothing and seizures if the babies were not taken out immediately. I was worried that the babies might end up in the NICU considering how expensive it can be. But , what mattered most was the lives of my babies. Thank God, they had no issues with the lungs as they were all fully developed. They still went to the NICU for them to gain some weight and properly checked. I got discharged 2 days after a CS delivery hale and hearty while my babies were kept back at the hospital.

We are in Nigeria now hale and hearty. Started with immunizations already and circumssion to follow next week. Wishing the rest of you on THIS journey an amazing experience.

Wow Nogen, thank God for you. Your story is amazing and inspiring. May God replenish what you have spent on this sojourn because even for those that had single births, we know how capital intensive this 'projec't is, talk less of having 3 babies in NICU. God continue to bless you all.

5 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Nogen: 7:38pm On Aug 28, 2015
ebonychic18:
@Nogen Wow I cannot thank God enough for you. God is Great! And your birth picture really went viral. I saw it on some of my contacts list. To God be all the Glory. God the greatest provider and supplier will replenish your pockets because 3 at once in NICU??!! It is well. Wish you all the best and welcome to motherhood.

Thanks ebonychic18. Amennn to the prayers. Our God is faithful.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Nogen: 7:40pm On Aug 28, 2015
olokings:
you are really strong.

congract once again.

Thanks bro. God made it possible!
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by LadyGuinivere: 7:56pm On Aug 28, 2015
@Bbsy
See I don't use to give soft advice so apologies before hand.
1st issue. U lied during your interview. Why?
2nd issue. You were pregnant when u got the visa. U didn't mention if you were asked. I can safely assume they didn't cos of the ist issue.
3rd issue. U sent a notification of change of intent withou stating the intent. U think say them be mumu? Who have u seen sending a vague 'change of intent mail'? The cbp looking at your mail will laugh and decipher that u wanted to pull one over their eyes.
My advice? Send a proper mail and sort out the mess created cos e go better for u than to spend above 300k to be insulted, kept in a holding room and deported with belle. Come clean now now now and then even after that pick a nice poe (won't mention one now make dem no de dere to waylay u cheesy )
Congrats on the belle mbok

6 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Nasadiva: 8:10pm On Aug 28, 2015
I don port ooo, I don port ooo to Ame....... Kirikata kirikata kirikata (Chie my legs cannot twist like Saka's own grin grin). Resting in Houston awaiting my docs appointment later today.

4 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by webprince(m): 8:45pm On Aug 28, 2015
FinanceFitness:
Go smart -$25 pm

Hi FinanceFitness, Pls I will like to ask you some questions about your previous delivery in Atlanta. How can I reach you? phone or email.
Thanks
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by LME2614: 9:06pm On Aug 28, 2015
kiboe:

Hi,I am a jan mum too,I totally understand how you feel,last week I was totally clueless and confused,I did read part 1 and to be honest it was very helpful,first thing I did was to send out emails to doctors within Maryland and Houston area,I got responses from most of them,but like someone advised me , maryland is a no go area,and it is true,I didn't want to be surprised eventually with gbese so I have settled for Houston.i contacted the famous Dr fagbohun and he responded quickly,I will be using him because he has mostly good reviews and he seems experienced.As for accommodation,I contacted intown suites today and got a confirmation from them,I haven't settled on this though,I will still be looking for other options.these are the steps I have taken so far.

I am also considering Hoston, I checked I town suites and also soul care, soul care seem to have good package tho.
Please can you send me Dr Fagbohun' contact. Thanks
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by abanzi(m): 9:14pm On Aug 28, 2015
Hello House,
Thanks for all the contributions and advice. Does anyone have an idea of how much it would cost to give birth in Melbourne, Florida? Thanks.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by queenestty: 9:34pm On Aug 28, 2015
My little concern here my people. All this forms wey person dey fill here wey dem dey ask for address e.g. BC form and others. I beg ooh e dey dey me confuse, na nija address person go write or the US address. Pls someone help clear my mind. Thks
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by customised87: 10:03pm On Aug 28, 2015
queenestty:
My little concern here my people. All this forms wey person dey fill here wey dem dey ask for address e.g. BC form and others. I beg ooh e dey dey me confuse, na nija address person go write or the US address. Pls someone help clear my mind. Thks

US address oo

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by webprince(m): 10:14pm On Aug 28, 2015
firsttymum:
Nogen congratulations.... More blessings and favors awaits you amen

Hi @firsttymum

Pls do you know any other affordable Hospital for delivery in Atlanta aside Grady and Northside?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Nobody: 10:30pm On Aug 28, 2015
Zedaii:

OMary83, thanks. I got the BC yesterday - went to the Dept of Health to try and see if it would be ready. Lo and behold, it was! For the BC, I was in the hospital and so filled out forms but did not know I could give my return ticket to expedite. Anyway, when I asked about expedition, the lady said the most she would do would be to expedite from her own end but that the normal government bureaucracy would still go on.

Now, the headache I have is for the US passport as the Post Office is saying here that expedited will take 2 - 3 weeks and I no get that kain time to dey here, abeg. So I am considering a third party expediter. God help me.
hi,I was told same thing that passport takes three weeks for expedite I had to go to another state and I got it same day.so you can try going to another state too.thanks
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by ozycy: 10:31pm On Aug 28, 2015
Nasadiva:
I don port ooo, I don port ooo to Ame....... Kirikata kirikata kirikata (Chie my legs cannot twist like Saka's own grin grin). Resting in Houston awaiting my docs appointment later today.
After dancing kirikata, grin kindly come back and give us your POE gist. Which accommodation did you finally settle with? Soulcr or SOJ? Ehe pls who have bought PTA of recent?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Nobody: 10:33pm On Aug 28, 2015
bigfido:
and to make international calls, please download an app called Boss Revolution. load 10 dollars on it and you are guaranteed close to 80 minutes call to naija on it.
lycamobile too is very fantastic you can get it at any African stores.thanks

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by ozycy: 10:36pm On Aug 28, 2015
Olaideodes:
Hello mummies and daddies
I will post full details soon.
Thanks
Still waiting
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by nefertitiram: 10:36pm On Aug 28, 2015
Go through new york

Bbsy:
Hi everyone,
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Nobody: 10:39pm On Aug 28, 2015
yemmyfinest:
This is an amazing story.Congrats once again

congrat my sister God bless and keep them.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by kiboe: 11:01pm On Aug 28, 2015
twingirls:

Oh great! Tanks and God bless you, can you send me Dr Fagbouns no? Tis a good place to start, iv made up my mind on Houston. Guess we can flow together

So sorry for the late reply,unfortunately I do not have his number.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by kiboe: 11:12pm On Aug 28, 2015
LME2614:

I am also considering Hoston, I checked I town suites and also soul care, soul care seem to have good package tho.
Please can you send me Dr Fagbohun' contact. Thanks

Pls check ur email...not sure we can share contacts here.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Nobody: 11:14pm On Aug 28, 2015
ozycy:

Still waiting
i got in to Us via New York JFK to Charlotte in June it was not as easy as people say it here oh as I was delayed for almost an hour but they eventually let me in after seeing all my burden of proof.I got a package from the hospital for 5715 normal delivery, 8730 for CS , but doing labour after getting to 7cm baby heart beat was dropping, the doctor just said he can not risk it that they have to remove the baby Omo Na so I start to cry oh ,but within 5mins they remove my little prince,na so them term her as complicated delivery oh and said I was not eligible for the package again.my dear I got a very huge bill from the hospital for 21567 after begging they gave 30% to make it 15062 just for me and epidural 2990 and 50% discount was given, doctor bill 2480 and baby bill 3400 discount of 30% to make it 2404'pediatric is 1640 with 25%discount, pathology 285 for both me and baby,trying to pay all the little bills and do a payment plan for my self.My point is no matter how ur host is close to you don't listen to them follow ur heart if I had known I would have ported to Houston,elpaso,Atlanta or Chicago but I stayed back in Charlotte listening to my host now am paying all the bills myself she no even answer me.I have learnt my lesson I pray God see me through this gbese.
On the passport that's another issues to do expedient it take 2-4 weeks for it to bye ready had to travel to Atlanta to do it after booking appointment though and I got it same day even did nigga passport which was mailed to me,also got his Ssn too,just waiting to buy his ticket and off I live this country.I thank GOd am alive and he his fine too but I cry everyday for this yeye bill.that is my story ooh.

5 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by ozycy: 11:27pm On Aug 28, 2015
Olaideodes:
i got in to Us via New York JFK to Charlotte in I thank GOd am alive and he his fine too but I cry everyday for this yeye bill.that is my story ooh.
Thanks for sharing your experience atleast am sure it will help someone here, Sorry for this heartbreaking bill. GOD will replenish your pocket.

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by abanzi(m): 11:46pm On Aug 28, 2015
Hello house, pls what options are available for hospitals and accommodation in atlanta.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by MiddyO(f): 11:58pm On Aug 28, 2015
[quote author=Olaideodes post=37443507]i got in to Us via New York JFK to Charlotte in June it was not as easy as people say it here oh as I was delayed for almost an hour but they eventually let me in after seeing all my burden of proof.

Congrats on your baby and thank God both mother and child are ok. Sorry about the gbese, God will see you through!

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by mammabear: 12:24am On Aug 29, 2015
Thanks for sharing. Take home points...

1. AGAIN AND AGAIN! NO MATTER HOW CLOSE YOUR HOST IS TO YOU...do your research and follow your heart.
2. Plan for a normal delivery, and ensure sufficient cushion in your budget in case a C-section is required
3. Always have your full burden of proof for POE
4. There are many components to medical expenses for childbirth in the US...it's not just hospital and doctor. If you don't want any surprise bills and need accommodation, you will be better off with currently available all-inclusive packages offered.Your total cost for these all-inclusive packages is most definitely less than you'll spend on medical fees alone if staying with a host in places like Maryland or New York.
5. Ensure your package includes hospital fees, doctor's fees, ultrasounds, lab tests, epidural, anesthesiologist fees, pediatrician fees, baby screening tests and required immunization
5. Be sure to ask if your hospital or doctor offers discount for expenses not covered under the package
6. Costs can vary very widely from one state to the other, and between medical providers in the same state. Do your research
7. If you are planning to stay with family. Have a Plan B for accommodation (hotel, apartment, etc.) in case you get kicked out by your host cry.
8. If you have a very accommodating host, it will be nice to give them a little monetary gift (btw $500 - $1000). It will help them with the ALMIGHTY bills they are struggling (probably working two jobs) to pay...even if they act like and tell you all is well...they need it, and will appreciate you for it.
9. Include transportation in your budget. Do your research on costs for taxi or public bus from your place of stay to your hospital, doctor, and for shopping. If you have a very nice host who takes you to your appointments, it will be nice to offer to pay for their gas...they will thank you for it
10. If you will be returning to Nigeria within less than 4weeks after your baby's birth, it will be faster and easier to find your way to NewYork, Washington DC, or Atlanta, GA where you can process BOTH the baby's US passport and Nigerian passport and get both within 2-3 days. You will need to include transportation or flight costs for you and your baby to these passport cities.

Hope this helps someone.

Olaideodes:
i got in to Us via New York JFK to Charlotte in June it was not as easy as people say it here oh as I was delayed for almost an hour but they eventually let me in after seeing all my burden of proof.I got a package from the hospital for 5715 normal delivery, 8730 for CS , but doing labour after getting to 7cm baby heart beat was dropping, the doctor just said he can not risk it that they have to remove the baby Omo Na so I start to cry oh ,but within 5mins they remove my little prince,na so them term her as complicated delivery oh and said I was not eligible for the package again.my dear I got a very huge bill from the hospital for 21567 after begging they gave 30% to make it 15062 just for me and epidural 2990 and 50% discount was given, doctor bill 2480 and baby bill 3400 discount of 30% to make it 2404'pediatric is 1640 with 25%discount, pathology 285 for both me and baby,trying to pay all the little bills and do a payment plan for my self.My point is no matter how ur host is close to you don't listen to them follow ur heart if I had known I would have ported to Houston,elpaso,Atlanta or Chicago but I stayed back in Charlotte listening to my host now am paying all the bills myself she no even answer me.I have learnt my lesson I pray God see me through this gbese.
On the passport that's another issues to do expedient it take 2-4 weeks for it to bye ready had to travel to Atlanta to do it after booking appointment though and I got it same day even did nigga passport which was mailed to me,also got his Ssn too,just waiting to buy his ticket and off I live this country.I thank GOd am alive and he his fine too but I cry everyday for this yeye bill.that is my story ooh.

14 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (255) (256) (257) (258) (259) (260) (261) ... (333)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 / Polish Student Visa

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.