Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,688 members, 7,816,799 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:30 PM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 - Travel (306) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 (892874 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (303) (304) (305) (306) (307) (308) (309) ... (333) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by bisilola: 3:36pm On Sep 25, 2015
firsttymum:
Yeepee congratulations dear.... Good news o

@Nasadiva,congrats....God keep you and baby by his grace.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by justwise(m): 4:09pm On Sep 25, 2015
@All

Please take it easy on indirect/unintentional advert for accommodations here because its not fair on companies that pay to place their ad here while others are getting it free in this thread.

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by firsttymum(f): 4:37pm On Sep 25, 2015
donchuky:
all the banks are just rotating around 220. Thought some dude said stanbic is the best. @ firsttymum congrats have u been able to rent a car? Can link u up if you still need. In houston too
bank of America see u soon... I can't shout abeg
donchuky:

Firsttymum. I don't think so cos we spent less than 3 mins with the houston cbo and this is wife first time in US. No document was asked just the normal pay ur bill and have the receipt bla bla. From my experience I think coming with ur hubby is very good.
my dear same way I didn't think getting a visa has all that Huddles till I read people's stories. You had it short and smooth while some where turned back. Whichever Poe It's God's favor jare. About the car I've not yet o... I've basically become my hosts handbag... My appointment is Monday. Might rent a car.. So how do you come in
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by firsttymum(f): 4:44pm On Sep 25, 2015
Nwunyeebuka:
[color=#006600][/color]
Is dat her own way of getting promotion? She's wicked! I thank God for safe flight and successful POE story. May God grant favor too soon. Rest well my dear will join u soon
Mscheew... I thank God for all. Waiting o... Do and come

aolatunde00:

Ftm,
Pls confirm she's a lufthansa staff and not an airport or any of those service providers.im flying with Delta in a couple of days at 34wks,I can't shout o!
yes she's a lufthansa staff. You are good to go.
zoemummy:
Huge congratulations @firstymum. God is faithful and has gone ahead of you to make every crooked path (&yellow, unmarried woman with radio phone on her waist, make up lover, airport official) straight! grin grin. More testimonies of favour ahead.
Big congratulations & hugs
thanks darling... OMG see my description sef... Hahhahahahhaaha. God is forever faithful. Mwuah
olokings:
Hahaha. ..
I'm just window shopping on NL... wink cool
lol @ window shopping
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by oyibo4real: 4:47pm On Sep 25, 2015
@Justwise na wa 4 u oo, i can see u've 'highjacked' my post. Wat did i say wrong there? Even my hailing to Firsttymum n Nasadiva too? May i knw why pls, to avoid future mistakes.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by firsttymum(f): 4:54pm On Sep 25, 2015
I never paid any interest in the bank of America posts.... Now looks like imma have to dig them out.

But I'm a newbie.. Can I b spoonfed cry cry

Olokings
Financefitness
Donchukky
Shawano
Ozycy
Popri

Inshort everyone... I need spoonfeeding on this one.

If I hear pim about u won't b spoonfed what happened in 1960 will repeat itself

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by shelly23: 5:16pm On Sep 25, 2015
Just go to any BOA branch and tell theem you want to open an account.

The most popular basic Acct is the core checking Acct that requires a $1500 minimum balance or you'll be charged $8 or 12 per month (can't remember).

Apparently they have one with a 4.95 monthly fee but you'll probably have to request for it.

Just make sure you have a local address they can send your debit card. They'll give you a temporary one immediately to use before your own card arrives. Go with your passport and another ID.

firsttymum:
I never paid any interest in the bank of America posts.... Now looks like imma have to dig them out.

Olokings
Financefitness
Donchukky
Shawano
Ozycy
Popri

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by shelly23: 5:19pm On Sep 25, 2015
I have, same on for both kids sef (4yrs apart). You'll need to buy a step down (I think that's what it's called) to use it though.

DFJ12
post=38369229:

Pls,who has used medela electric pump in naija before?

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by jacklenst: 5:41pm On Sep 25, 2015
Thanks for the info on united memorial medical center, Batavia.
Pls, which apartment did u use? I intend to use the same hospital.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by jacklenst: 5:52pm On Sep 25, 2015
babaylover:

Hi,

Pls can you give me the contact details of this hospital I would like to use them if it's possible.
Kindly assist with the apartment u stayed in Batavia. I intend to use the hospital next yr.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by olokings(m): 6:14pm On Sep 25, 2015
Okie so this BOA thingy got me thinking.
1. How do u fund the account?.
Do u lodge in cash which I surmise you got from ur PTA (wch is ur case is $4k)... If u did, then haven't that defeated the point that u wanna do self (cash) payment.
2. Reviewing the bank charges and monthly charges, correct me if I'm wrong (because I got no clue on weda dis boa guys have got ATM surcharges) but comparing the resultant charges on the BOA card and the fact that you have grossly moved ur cash in hand into credit balance with the bank doesn't that have its own negating effect as it is.
3. If u are eventually going to fund it from ur own account by intl swift transfer I bliv u are gonna yet be paying the same bank charges wch u were running away from in the first.?!

The thought process goes on more than I care to type perhaps I need to be properly schooled in that regards.

At the end of the day, after careful consideration (to the best of my kpako sabi-ish) the best gamble is to buy PTA hard cash and use cards for important POS n online transactions wch u can't get away from.

My take though waiting to learn more...

firsttymum:

Olokings
Financefitness
Donchukky
Shawano
Ozycy
Popri

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by olokings(m): 6:18pm On Sep 25, 2015
Pm the poster....
Grim reaping bot is on DEFCON 1.

jacklenst:

Kindly assist with the apartment u stayed in Batavia. I intend to use the hospital next yr.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by ozycy: 6:25pm On Sep 25, 2015
firsttymum:
the thing dey vex me en. Someone advised visa card.... So I'm gonna experiment on it are they all master cards? I also tried gtb same thing... Is the access master card?
I used access visa card at #225, dey charged extra #240 for bank charge and BOA charged extra $3. BOA charged $3 too for GTB Mastercard even dou GTB didn't send me the $3 bill but I guess dey will still deduct it. I heard CHASE bank doesn't charge anything if you use their atm.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by DFJ12: 6:36pm On Sep 25, 2015
shelly23:
I have, same on for both kids sef (4yrs apart). You'll need to buy a step down (I think that's what it's called) to use it though.

Thanks so much
Will do just that.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by justwise(m): 7:10pm On Sep 25, 2015
oyibo4real:

@Firsttymum cry cry mummy, thank God u came out victorious at d end of it all. All round favour is my prayer 4 u in ds 'American' journey of childbirth grin

@Nasadiva, Congratulations on ur bundle of Joy, he's already a blessing 2 ur family n 2 d world at large. kiss

oyibo4real:
@Justwise na wa 4 u oo, i can see u've 'highjacked' my post. Wat did i say wrong there? Even my hailing to Firsttymum n Nasadiva too? May i knw why pls, to avoid future mistakes.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by shelly23: 7:53pm On Sep 25, 2015
I guess the advantage of an account is not being limited by the CBN daily limits on POS and ATM and also not risking the card not working (happened to me at the mall with my Zenith card, I had to return all the items i'd carefully collected). And of course shopping online with ease smiley

Not advocating for BOA, but I'm more at ease having that account and my naija cards as a back up.

olokings:
Do u lodge in cash which I surmise you got from ur PTA (wch is ur case is $4k)... If u did, then haven't that defeated the point that u wanna do self (cash) payment.
2. Reviewing the bank charges and monthly charges, correct me if I'm wrong (because I got no clue on weda dis boa guys have got ATM surcharges) but comparing the resultant charges on the BOA card and the fact that you have grossly moved ur cash in hand into credit balance with the bank doesn't that have its own negating effect as it is.
3. If u are eventually going to fund it from ur own account by intl swift transfer I bliv u are gonna yet be paying the same bank charges wch u were running away from in the first.?!

The thought process goes on more than I care to type perhaps I need to be properly schooled in that regards.

At the end of the day, after careful consideration (to the best of my kpako sabi-ish) the best gamble is to buy PTA hard cash and use cards for important POS n online transactions wch u can't get away from.

My take though waiting to learn more...

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by toparie: 7:57pm On Sep 25, 2015
Hi Shelly, please where did you get the step down from?

shelly23:

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by shelly23: 8:00pm On Sep 25, 2015
Not sure if you're based in Lagos. I got it from Park n shop in VI for 2k, but this was back in 2011.

toparie:

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by mulberry: 8:26pm On Sep 25, 2015
Just like I promised I used the west Houston birthing center and paid $3214, my tests from Nigeria was used. Scan was inclusive in d cost as Holly conducted 3 scans. I used a Jewish doctor for circumcision and paid $400 cos he came to my house but he normally charge $300, if u go to his place of practice. Had one pediatric visit plus one immunization which I paid $147. We had to go to d local government office to get an expedited bc as far one day was meant to be posted was delayed a bit cos of d mistake in d name from d birthing center. Hubby was not comfortable sending baby's blue passport for visa so we got a letter from d Nigerian embassy in the form of an emergency certificate. We left for Nigeria exactly 4weeks after birth.

8 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by dere5: 9:13pm On Sep 25, 2015
toparie:

You can get step down from anywhere,it comes in various sizes,just explain to them what you want it for.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by firsttymum(f): 9:41pm On Sep 25, 2015
Olokings and Ozycy u have succeeded in confusing.

Olokings
After paying Dr's fee anyother bill will b paid when my hubby comes. Don't wanna hold money plus at the store the way dey stare because u r spending $100 bill... And even verify the money isn't fake. Besides I am more of a cashless person.

Ozycy do u mean u were charged 3 dols when u withdrew with ur BoA card?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by firsttymum(f): 9:47pm On Sep 25, 2015
Shelly23 thanks alot.

Oyinbo4real
Hahahjahhahahah me cry cry mummy abi? Lol. Thanks jare and Amen
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Beryl15: 10:29pm On Sep 25, 2015
mulberry:
Just like I promised I used the west Houston birthing center and paid $3214, my tests from Nigeria was used. Scan was inclusive in d cost as Holly conducted 3 scans. I used a Jewish doctor for circumcision and paid $400 cos he came to my house but he normally charge $300, if u go to his place of practice. Had one pediatric visit plus one immunization which I paid $147. We had to go to d local government office to get an expedited bc as far one day was meant to be posted was delayed a bit cos of d mistake in d name from d birthing center. Hubby was not comfortable sending baby's blue passport for visa so we got a letter from d Nigerian embassy in the form of an emergency certificate We left for Nigeria exactly 4weeks after birth.
What exactly did you send to the embassy? And how did you go about it?
I just check and doc required are:
Proof of citizenship
Police report and
Return ticket to Nigeria.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by shawlar(m): 10:37pm On Sep 25, 2015
olokings:

Firstly, the cash/self payment package in the hospital doesn't necessarily mean paying in hard cash. I think its better termed upfront payment. U can also use ur card, swipe and use d debit option or count out the cash; Whichever way, as long as the hospital gets paid immediately.

I think most people open bank accts in order to avoid keeping or carrying around so much cash. Its also easier to use for online shopping et al - than 1 naija bank saying I can't spend more than $300 or so. My wife travelled with over 8k and I got her to open the BOA acct but when I hear say the minimum bal. na $1500, fear grip me... shocked shocked. plus if ur bal goes less than that in a month, u get charged around $7. They also opened a savings acct for her too. Anyways, I'm going to go into the bank on mon to talk to them cos my sis (who has had an acct for over 3yrs) doesn't abide by the min bal thingy and she doesn't get the monthly charge either

I'm not sure oh, but I don't know of any individual that funds their amelica acct by swift transfer from naija.. I'm sure the bank charges r ridiculous (as usual). Most peeps jst bring in d cash and deposit it
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by EllaLeesa: 11:11pm On Sep 25, 2015
My people

I greet o... All the hospitals in New Jersey are so expensive , Jacklenst we thank God for you please send details of accommodation in UMMC Batavia and details of the agent you used for Baby's passport this wan tanko no dey pick phone , I am so nervous and pray everything goes smoothly ...I hope to leave first week of December or last week November . Firstmum we thank God for you , Nerfi and all the safe deliveries n latest mummies in town congrats to you all. Our God is great.

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by ozycy: 11:14pm On Sep 25, 2015
firsttymum:
Olokings and Ozycy u have succeeded in confusing.

Ozycy do u mean u were charged 3 dols when u withdrew with ur BoA card?

I was charged a total of #915 for using my access bank visa card on BOA ATM. I had to email excess bank and they said the extra $3 is "acquirer fee". I shaa know the Atm asked me to accept $3 charge before I could withdraw wch I accepted. Anyway, ain't using the card again as I was only testing the card for the first tym
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by EllaLeesa: 11:15pm On Sep 25, 2015
Jacklenst please I will really appreciate a PM from you on my inquiries . I tried sending a mail to you but am not sure if it got to you successfully . Thank God for nairaland, Justwise you're too much too!
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by teeboy95: 11:17pm On Sep 25, 2015
Beryl15:

What exactly did you send to the embassy? And how did you go about it?
I just check and doc required are:
Proof of citizenship
Police report and
Return ticket to Nigeria.

Pls wats the process to get the emergency certificate if you don't mind sharing.

thnks in advance
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by olokings(m): 11:29pm On Sep 25, 2015
U see exactly what I am saying....?!
The charges you runaway from with naija banks exchange rate and surcharges u pay with amelican minimum balance n hidden surcharges as well.
These feefoo know how to rip u n kip u smiling at the same time ..lol...

shawlar:

Firstly, the cash/self payment package in the hospital doesn't necessarily mean paying in hard cash. I think its better termed upfront payment. U can also use ur card, swipe and use d debit option or count out the cash; Whichever way, as long as the hospital gets paid immediately.

I think most people open bank accts in order to avoid keeping or carrying around so much cash. Its also easier to use for online shopping et al - than 1 naija bank saying I can't spend more than $300 or so. My wife travelled with over 8k and I got her to open the BOA acct but when I hear say the minimum bal. na $1500, fear grip me... shocked shocked. plus if ur bal goes less than that in a month, u get charged around $7. They also opened a savings acct for her too. Anyways, I'm going to go into the bank on mon to talk to them cos my sis (who has had an acct for over 3yrs) doesn't abide by the min bal thingy and she doesn't get the monthly charge either

I'm not sure oh, but I don't know of any individual that funds their amelica acct by swift transfer from naija.. I'm sure the bank charges r ridiculous (as usual). Most peeps jst bring in d cash and deposit it
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by toparie: 11:34pm On Sep 25, 2015
Oh great... I am based in Lagos... Lol at 2011 though. I'll check them out when I return... Thanks a bunch

shelly23:
Not sure if you're based in Lagos. I got it from Park n shop in VI for 2k, but this was back in 2011.

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by toparie: 11:35pm On Sep 25, 2015
Noted. Thanks Dere5

dere5:

You can get step down from anywhere,it comes in various sizes,just explain to them what you want it for.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by firsttymum(f): 11:56pm On Sep 25, 2015
shawlar:

Oya na... On Monday when u go Abeg update us.

Looks like ur wife and olokings wife might put to bed around the same period.
To think the kpekusing was mayb d same day sef....
Lmfao... Hahhhahhahhahhhahhaha.

Plus I get to comman eat pepper soup

(1) (2) (3) ... (303) (304) (305) (306) (307) (308) (309) ... (333)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Polish Student Visa / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.