Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,499 members, 7,819,815 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:27 AM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 - Travel (312) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 (893518 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (309) (310) (311) (312) (313) (314) (315) ... (333) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by firsttymum(f): 2:34pm On Sep 29, 2015
adekunleoba:
Hello all!
Please I do need anyone's help, regarding the process of scheduling US visa online. The first attempt of visa schedule, was the whole family I.e hubby, wife and son. Now trying to schedule for jus wife and son, not going through, the security question coming up is dat. My son details appears to be on another profile, which is correct hubby's profile. So now how possible is it to erase son's details, so that a schedule can be made for just wife and son. Hubby not traveling just wife and son... Plz anyone kindly respond, urgent plz
I think if u r Ok with the date u shld leave it that way. When u wifey shows up at the embassy... She shld explain why u are not available.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Tobermom: 2:48pm On Sep 29, 2015
firsttymum:
A lot of people choose location based on free accommodation.

Be ready to support your host in one way or the other. Cos honestly that's the right thing to do.

So get out ur budget sheet and do ur maths. So u don't get surprised.

Hmmm, i was gonna keep quiet but since this point is being mentioned again i feel i should share my experience on the highlighted. I mentioned staying with family in my last post and for the first week everything went fine. Until last week when i started getting cold vibes, i was being frowned at perpertually. I felt i was in the way so i made myself next to invisible. By sunday my host and i had squashed the issue she said thats the way her face is and i should take it like that. I took it in good faith.
Now, ive not been feeding very well cos their eating habits are very different from mine. They eat things like cereal , oatmeal etc ( i dont eat these things) plus they can decide theyre not even hungry that day.( dont get me wrong theres plenty food at home. They just dont eat) So am i going to say me im eating sha. I cant do that, mama raised me better so i decided to do a bit of grocery shopping yday under the pretext that i had special cravings. You will not believe the reaction i got. My hosts mum was like what did you buy? I told her. She shouted Why? Who asked you? Is there no food at home? I was stunned! I apologized and said not so o that i was just strolling and bought these few items. She said your cousin is going to be very angry with you, im also very angry with you! See me apologizing on top. She said she went out to buy some items that morn and bread was included since i LOVE bread ( so my fears about not feeling free in the kitchen were valid) the next thing she said i should return the items. :ot. I was like i didnt pick up the receipt from the store. The next thing she called my cousin ( who's some months older than me) to report me. I just started weeping profusely. Someone i just squashed issues with another one is propping up for nothing! I felt like a child. Needless to say i called my hubby immediately and weve made other accommodation arrangements. We all know theres no such thing as a free lunch and that why i was trying to help out but it backfired real bad! Whats a girl to do?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Nobody: 3:00pm On Sep 29, 2015
Good afternoon ggood people,
I want to thank every contributor on this topic for all the information that is shared. My wife and I had our visa interview this morning and it was successful. It was our first time and we cant thank you enough of your help. Now the journey continues.
Anyone with information on low flights fees? And please how do I combine the booking to reduce costs. Plan is for us to go together, theen I come back, I then travel just before due date and then we all come back after three weeks or so after delivery.
Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by firsttymum(f): 3:24pm On Sep 29, 2015
Tobermom now that's new.... Wow.

A fam friend stayed with some family members... There was constant give me 20 bucks or lend me 100 bucks that was never returned. She started supporting with groceries until she was d only one doing the groceries for the house. She was seriously lamenting.... They wanted to drain her to d last penny

Main while there are some that will keep eating from their hosts without any support whatsoever... Lol

Its just best to add accommodation to the budget. Becos if u ain't comfy, u av to get another place before u loose ur mind.

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by firsttymum(f): 3:38pm On Sep 29, 2015
Congratulations Tosinajib. About the combining tingy... U Shld prolly call the airline or something.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by bigfido: 3:47pm On Sep 29, 2015
It's never easy staying with someone I tell you. Never ever easy. Even here in Naija not to talk of where everything is paid for. My sincere advise is go to places like Texas where you pay less then use the remaining money off your budget in delivering in expensive places to get yourself a decent apartment. There nothing like your space especially for women that a territorial (apologies if anyone is offended). Tobermom, I don't envy your situation. Please the reason you have travelled is to give birth healthily and get a better chance and opportunity for your child. It is imperative that you eat well and stay healthy. If you can afford it, kindly walk away from there. show appreciation before you leave. Let them know how grateful you are for taking you in. You mind and health is very important right now to your LO. Close your eyes and bounce. Visit when you can too if they are close to you. But right now, you need your space and a TREAT to a good meal. Stay blessed

4 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Tobermom: 3:55pm On Sep 29, 2015
bigfido:
It's never easy staying with someone I tell you. Never ever easy. Even here in Naija not to talk of where everything is paid for. My sincere advise is go to places like Texas where you pay less then use the remaining money off your budget in delivering in expensive places to get yourself a decent apartment. There nothing like your space especially for women that a territorial (apologies if anyone is offended). Tobermom, I don't envy your situation. Please the reason you have travelled is to give birth healthily and get a better chance and opportunity for your child. It is imperative that you eat well and stay healthy. If you can afford it, kindly walk away from there. show appreciation before you leave. Let them know how grateful you are for taking you in. You mind and health is very important right now to your LO. Close your eyes and bounce. Visit when you can too if they are close to you. But right now, you need your space and a TREAT to a good meal. Stay blessed

Thank you. I needed to hear that its not just in my head and im not an ingrate.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Tobermom: 3:57pm On Sep 29, 2015
firsttymum:
Tobermom now that's new.... Wow.

A fam friend stayed with some family members... There was constant give me 20 bucks or lend me 100 bucks that was never returned. She started supporting with groceries until she was d only one doing the groceries for the house. She was seriously lamenting.... They wanted to drain her to d last penny

Main while there are some that will keep eating from their hosts without any support whatsoever... Lol

Its just best to add accommodation to the budget. Becos if u ain't comfy, u av to get another place before u loose ur mind.

Yea, i know better now. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by dtush(f): 4:21pm On Sep 29, 2015
firsttymum:
Nasadiva
Ozycy
Dtush

There's this paper that the secretary gives that says if u wannna enjoy the ob packages u shld pay a month to due date. Did u pay a month to due date?

I paid for everythg on my first appointment so i dont get tempted to spend out of it . So i dont know anythg about the paper
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by adekunleoba: 4:33pm On Sep 29, 2015
firsttymum:
I think if u r Ok with the date u shld leave it that way. When u wifey shows up at the embassy... She shld explain why u are not available.

Thank u so much for the respond, if we go by that way, my hubby would also be booked for an appointment. Is there no way of not booking appointment for hubby.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by firsttymum(f): 5:04pm On Sep 29, 2015
dtush:

I paid for everythg on my first appointment so i dont get tempted to spend out of it . So i dont know anythg about the paper
I'm talking about Hospital fee?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by bukolet: 5:47pm On Sep 29, 2015
I need help o, please who can refer me to the page where food items I can travel with was mentioned. So I can be better prepared. Thanks
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by dtush(f): 6:31pm On Sep 29, 2015
firsttymum:
I'm talking about Hospital fee?

I simply informed dr's office dat i wanted to pay for everythg during my first visit. Doctor, hospital, epidural.i called the epidural pple and paid over the phone. While i went to the hospital to get registered n made full payment.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Nasadiva: 6:33pm On Sep 29, 2015
Please can anyone by chance have a blank sealed notary form to spare me? Mine was rejected.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Nasadiva: 6:35pm On Sep 29, 2015
firsttymum:
Nasadiva
Ozycy
Dtush

There's this paper that the secretary gives that says if u wannna enjoy the ob packages u shld pay a month to due date. Did u pay a month to due date?

No.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by firsttymum(f): 6:44pm On Sep 29, 2015
dtush:

I simply informed dr's office dat i wanted to pay for everythg during my first visit. Doctor, hospital, epidural.i called the epidural pple and paid over the phone. While i went to the hospital to get registered n made full payment.
Ok thanks
Nasadiva:

No.
but after delivery u were still entitled to the 2300 right?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Nasadiva: 6:58pm On Sep 29, 2015
firsttymum:
Ok thanks but after delivery u were still entitled to the 2300 right?

U need to pay b4 due date.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by firsttymum(f): 7:01pm On Sep 29, 2015
bukolet:
I need help o, please who can refer me to the page where food items I can travel with was mentioned. So I can be better prepared. Thanks
Hmmmm....
Basically everything
Nothing fresh.. Dry ur veges
Remove the wraps from ur noodles
Avoid things with chicken written on them.
Avoid seeds (beans) if u av to carry ensure no insect inside.

Phema's own not really a list but a guide. Page 245 of part 1
Then page 212 of part 2

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by firsttymum(f): 7:01pm On Sep 29, 2015
Nasadiva:

U need to pay b4 due date.
Ok thanks.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by elitebook: 7:09pm On Sep 29, 2015
shelly23:
I had my baby in Orlando and it's so expensive compared to what you can get in other places. To make it worse, there's no package everything is billed separately (I still got a bill last week and my baby was born in March lol!).
If you have a lot of money or it's your absolute last resort, then consider Orlando.
Thanks Shelly. Florida it is for me. I will keep scouting for more affordable Hospitals so we can pay for decent accommodation and have our peace of mind. I just can't deal with the drama of staying with folks for 2months+. Nothing worse than being pregnant and miserable on top of it.
@Tobermom, I feel your pain. Been in ur shoes before.. The unexpected, unexplained mood swings and unsmiling faces. Smh. Pele! Good thing ure moving out. Do it with grace and gratitude and visit them once in a while if u feel inclined to.
All the best!

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by LadyGuinivere: 7:18pm On Sep 29, 2015
firsttymum:
Olokings and ladyguinivere

I see you peeping...Or is it window shopping
Window shopping o! Lol
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Austine2020: 7:21pm On Sep 29, 2015
If u or your traveling agent book or bought your United airline ticket through Lufthansa website, then its 1 bag of 23kg but if u or your traveling agent book or bought your United airline ticket through United airlines website direct, then its 2 bags of 23kg,my wife has used it before.They do it like that because buying their ticket through Lufthansa website is more cheaper than buying it through United website direct. This same thing happened to me last week when i wanted to buy a united ticket through lufthansa website because its cheaper there for my wife to travel to seattle next week but not for birth purposes,just for holiday,i found out that it was cheaper but the baggage allowance is 1 bag of 23kg,so i now opted for BA which is also okay to Seattle with 2 bags of 23kg. So better try & get to them to avoid unnecessary disappointment on the day of your travel.
julzz:
Please guys, for those that have travelled with united airline is their baggage allowance really 2 bags 23 kg each? That's what their website says, tried contacting them to confirm but to no avail. Really need to know as I'm leaving on Thursday and don't want to surprised when I get to the airport, thanks.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Nasadiva: 7:31pm On Sep 29, 2015
Please is there anyone coming this week that can help me with notarized consent form? Pleasssssssse!
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by ozycy: 7:42pm On Sep 29, 2015
firsttymum:
Nasadiva
Ozycy
Dtush
I was given the paper too, but I checked the date on the paper, it was sometime in 2014 and people have been using oakbend since then without hassle. Most people appear there during labour. Me never pay shaa and have less Dan one month to go. Guess you ve had your Dr's appointment
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Austine2020: 7:56pm On Sep 29, 2015
Lufthansa is 2 bags of 23kg when u book or bought Lufthansa ticket through lufthansa website and then fly with Lufthansa through fankfurt to your destination in the US. But when u book or bought your United airline ticket through Lufthansa website,then fly United direct to Houston & then to your destination in the US, u will only have 1 bag of 23kg. So make your enquiries very well
firsttymum:
that's not true. Lufthansa is 2 bags 23kg each.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by olokings(m): 7:57pm On Sep 29, 2015
Hellos fellas. ...
It's official, legacy number 3 confirmed and ushered into the beautiful world. .
The young prince is doing great with momma. ..
Further story leta. ..
Pinging from methodist Richardson. .
Peace people. ....
Happy dad signing out for the moment. .. cool grin

36 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Amother4life: 7:58pm On Sep 29, 2015
Tobermom:

Hmmm, i was gonna keep quiet but since this point is being mentioned again i feel i should share my experience on the highlighted. I mentioned staying with family in my last post and for the first week everything went fine. Until last week when i started getting cold vibes, i was being frowned at perpertually. I felt i was in the way so i made myself next to invisible. By sunday my host and i had squashed the issue she said thats the way her face is and i should take it like that. I took it in good faith.

Now, ive not been feeding very well cos their eating habits are very different from mine. They eat things like cereal , oatmeal etc ( i dont eat these things) plus they can decide theyre not even hungry that day.( dont get me wrong theres plenty food at home. They just dont eat) So am i going to say me im eating sha. I cant do that, mama raised me better so i decided to do a bit of grocery shopping yday under the pretext that i had special cravings. You will not believe the reaction i got. My hosts mum was like what did you buy? I told her. She shouted Why? Who asked you? Is there no food at home? I was stunned! I apologized and said not so o that i was just strolling and bought these few items. She said your cousin is going to be very angry with you, im also very angry with you! See me apologizing on top. She said she went out to buy some items that morn and bread was included since i LOVE bread ( so my fears about not feeling free in the kitchen were valid) the next thing she said i should return the items. :ot. I was like i didnt pick up the receipt from the store. The next thing she called my cousin ( who's some months older than me) to report me. I just started weeping profusely. Someone i just squashed issues with another one is propping up for nothing! I felt like a child. Needless to say i called my hubby immediately and weve made other accommodation arrangements. We all know theres no such thing as a free lunch and that why i was trying to help out but it backfired real bad! Whats a girl to do?

I think you made some mistakes. You should have discussed with your host before going out to shop for the house. If you had brought it up with your host that would have helped you figure out if it was a good idea. You could also have asked to follow her when she went shopping and picked your own items. Nothing stops you from giving them money ( they may turn it down) as a sign of appreciation during your first week in the house . If they turn it down atleast they know your heart is in a good place.Going out to shop for your host maybe misconstrued by some as an indictment on their ability to provide for your needs. Others would see nothing wrong with it. That is why having a discussion is imperative to know what would be acceptable with your host. Let's not burn bridges because we may need these folks later in future when our kids return to school. Ma 2 cents.

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Udumeme(f): 8:02pm On Sep 29, 2015
Hello NL Fam

Its been great fun reading up on the happenings on the forum- never a dull moment cheesy keep it up! These final weeks of waiting can get really trying so im definitely keeping my self entertained and informed thanks to you all

I have a question, ive run out of dollars but have money (Naira) in my gt bank account. Someone advised i use moneygram (or was it moneyorder ) which i can obtain at Walmart and deposit it in my US bank account.

Now i ask all the financial gurus and experienced folks in the house, is this wise? And if so, can someone shed more light on how i can go about it?

I need to pay epidural and pediatrician fees which come up to $1700 and after reading about restrictions on online payment, POS and exchange rate im getting rather concerned.

Thanks
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by modath(f): 8:22pm On Sep 29, 2015
olokings:
Hellos fellas. ...
It's official, legacy number 3 confirmed and ushered into the beautiful world. .
The young prone is doing great with momma. ..
Further story leta. ..
Peace people. ....

Congrats baba baby, God be with baby,mama& papa.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by firsttymum(f): 8:30pm On Sep 29, 2015
I can't even start arguing with baggage allowance saga.

I flew lufthansa with a United ticket and I had 2 boxes.
Austine2020:
Lufthansa is 2 bags of 23kg when u book or bought Lufthansa ticket through lufthansa website and then fly with Lufthansa through fankfurt to your destination in the US. But when u book or bought your United airline ticket through Lufthansa website,then fly United direct to Houston & then to your destination in the US, u will only have 1 bag of 23kg. So make your enquiries very well
so when u say make enquiries I'm like really?...

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by firsttymum(f): 8:32pm On Sep 29, 2015
olokings:
Hellos fellas. ...
The young prone is doing great with momma. ..
Further story leta. ..
Peace people. ....
is God not great... Yeepee congratulations dear....

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by firsttymum(f): 8:38pm On Sep 29, 2015
ozycy:

I was given the paper too, but I checked the date on the paper, it was sometime in 2014 and people have been using oakbend since then without hassle. Most people appear there during labour. Me never pay shaa and have less Dan one month to go. Guess you ve had your Dr's appointment
yes I have. The one I was given is 2015.

Oooooooh Chai this 220 per dollar wey I no wan spend I go spend am by force. Mscheew.

I'm confused on whether to go and swipe my card at the hospital (heard stanbic doesn't av restrictions) or I shld do money order and kukuma open the US account and pay it in.

Since hubby isnt coming till I'm almost due

(1) (2) (3) ... (309) (310) (311) (312) (313) (314) (315) ... (333)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Polish Student Visa / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.