Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,318 members, 7,811,945 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:31 AM

Jagaban - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jagaban (44855 Views)

Networth And Real Estates Of Tinubu (jagaban) / Osinbajo Bags Jagaban Title In Adamawa (Photo) / Who Is The JAGABAN Of Delta State Politics? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jagaban by yomexp(m): 5:28am On Apr 03, 2015
Katsumoto:
Who are those comparing Tinubu to Awo? Stop it.

So winning national elections is now a yardstick
katz welcome back man!
Re: Jagaban by yomexp(m): 5:30am On Apr 03, 2015
BRAV0O:
jagaban is street slang ' if u av not being tru d street u can't understand, it maybe given to him from niger state I didn't argue on that , but that name itself its from d street and when I say street I know what I mean and those that understand knows what I mean.
what is the meaning of this?

1 Like

Re: Jagaban by nduchucks: 5:56am On Apr 03, 2015
Desola:

If you don't uncross my name now, ma se Orubebe fun e nisin angry

Just making sure that you are the person behind that handle. It is confirmed, Desola ni o!

Orubebe don suffer. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Jagaban by Katsumoto: 2:16pm On Apr 03, 2015
yomexp:
katz welcome back man!

Thanks bro

nduchucks:
na wa o, Isale, naijababe, Desola, Kilode!, Katsumoto, all on the same thread in 2015 shocked
What a sight! I greet all of una from the bottom of my heart o.

Alhaji

I hope you are well. No doubt you are happy the General won; now Nigeria may experience proper leadership.

3 Likes

Re: Jagaban by Katsumoto: 2:17pm On Apr 03, 2015
SirShymexx:
One more thing: before you anoint Tinubu's political astuteness, we have to wait to see what he negotiated with the North and what he'll get.

Right now, he is yet to match Akintola's greatness.

SirShymexx

How are you? I hope you are keeping well. Keep being your truthful self.

1 Like

Re: Jagaban by coogar: 2:39pm On Apr 03, 2015
Katsumoto:

SirShymexx

where have you been, man?
Re: Jagaban by Borderless: 3:03pm On Apr 03, 2015
If everything that goes on on social media were to be reality, the world would obviously be full of shallow-thinking and empty headed folks.

Kindly encourage "Jagaban Borgu" to respond with clear facts to allegations levelled against him in Lagos and why grandpa's campaign funding was shrouded in secrecy before you turn him to a god.

I wonder if we think beyond the surface in this country. In civilized climes, most of the politicians we celebrate here would be in maximum security prisons serving life sentences.

1 Like

Re: Jagaban by Katsumoto: 3:19pm On Apr 03, 2015
coogar:

where have you been, man?

Hey bro, just got very busy. How are you?
Re: Jagaban by SirShymexx: 3:23pm On Apr 03, 2015
Katsumoto:

SirShymexx

Blimey!

The great Kats is back! I'm good, Sir. I'm still a student under your tutelage. If not for you, Uncle eGuerilla, Pukkah, TerraCotta, Chief Negro_ntns (before he metamorphosed into MayorofLagos, and became a pain in the ar.se of Igbos lol), and bits I got from my pops - I wouldn't be as conversant as I'm about Nigerian politics. I'm still learning, and I'm always trying to do the grandmaster teachers proud.

Thank God you're back. I actually have a personal observation about the whole election. However, initially, I wasn't going to post it because most of the folks on here these days don't really have the prerequisite cognitive-reasoning/knowledge to decipher the simplest things. But I know you'll understand the picture I'm trying to paint, and perhaps correct some errors in there.

Personally, I think the Tinubu man is an astute politician based on this era, but his genius is somewhat overrated. ACN was a regional party created straight from Awo's blueprint, and the fact that the party never won in Ondo, also took a bit away from his "genius".

Now, back to this election: Buhari was going to win, with or without Tinubu. He just needed a structure in one or two of the regions in the South - to make it look more pan-Nigeria. He also tried to get APGA in the mix, but he was rejected. The man had the anointing of the West from as far back as late 2013, and it was obvious they wanted a regime change in Nigeria. However, they wanted it to be a smooth-sailing, with ballot papers - and no bloodshed. Hence they sent emissaries to GEJ on multiple occassions: before, during, and after the election - and also the reason why he conceded defeat so easily. Additionally, when you look at the fact that David Axelrod was also in-charge of APC's electioneering - that's a pointer to what was happening behind the scene. Anyone conversant with US/International politics knows David Axelrod is part of Obama's inner caucus...and from the Chicago group, with Rahm Emanuel et al. He isn't just anyone you can employ to facilitate your political party - without US/international interests.

Furthermore, GEJ and his handlers (who are mostly from the South East) self-destruct by turning PDP into a regional party - with the hope that dishing money out in the 99th hour, would be enough to buy the required votes. All in all, the only thing the Tinubu man did was provide a structure for Buhari in the SW. And even with that, APC didn't win convincingly in the region. Coupled with the fact that the expose/documentary about him almost derailed the momentum of APC.

So, I honestly don't see the "genius" in what happened, to even warrant a comparison, with the great Awolowo. He hasn't even done anything whatsoever for the Yorubas. Regardless, I'd like to see what he negotiated for the Yorubas - and if he'll be able to surpass what Akintola got, before the 1966 coup.

4 Likes

Re: Jagaban by Katsumoto: 3:27pm On Apr 03, 2015
SirShymexx:

Blimey!

The great Kats is back! I'm good, Sir. I'm still a student under your tutelage. If not for you, Uncle eGuerilla, Pukkah, TerraCotta, Chief Negro_ntns (before he metamorphosed into MayorofLagos, and became a pain in the ar.se of Igbos lol), and bits I got from my pops - I wouldn't be as conversant as I'm about Nigerian politics. I'm still learning, and I'm always trying to do the grandmaster teachers proud.

Thank God you're back. I actually have a personal observation about the whole election. However, initially, I wasn't going to post it because most of the folks on here these days don't really have the prerequisite cognitive-reasoning/knowledge to decipher the simplest things. But I know you'll understand the picture I'm trying to paint, and perhaps correct some errors in there.

Personally, I think the Tinubu man is an astute politician based on this era, but his genius is somewhat overrated. ACN was a regional party created straight from Awo's blueprint, and the fact that the party never won in Ondo, also took a bit away from his "genius".

Now, back to this election: Buhari was going to win, with or without Tinubu. He just needed a structure in one or two of the regions in the South - to make it look more pan-Nigeria. He also tried to get APGA in the mix, but he was rejected. The man had the anointing of the West from as far back as late 2013, and it was obvious they wanted a regime change in Nigeria. However, they wanted it to be a smooth-sailing, with ballot papers - and no bloodshed. Hence they sent emissaries to GEJ on multiple occassions: before, during, and after the election - and also the reason why he conceded defeat so easily. Additionally, when you look at the fact that David Axelrod was also in-charge of APC's electioneering - that's a pointer to what was happening behind the scene. Anyone conversant with US/International politics knows David Axelrod is part of Obama's inner caucus...and from the Chicago group, with Rahm Emanuel et al. He isn't just anyone you can employ to facilitate your political party - without US/international interests.

Furthermore, GEJ and his handlers (who are mostly from the South East) self-destruct by turning PDP into a regional party - with the hope that dishing money out in the 99th hour, would be enough to buy the required votes. All in all, the only thing the Tinubu man did was provide a structure for Buhari in the SW. And even with that, APC didn't win convincingly in the region. Coupled with the fact that the expose/documentary about him almost derailed the momentum of APC.

So, I honestly don't see the "genius" in what happened, to even warrant a comparison, with the great Awolowo. He hasn't even done anything whatsoever for the Yorubas. Regardless, I'd like to see what he negotiated for the Yorubas - and if he'll be able to surpass what Akintola got, before the 1966 coup.

You nailed it.

All in all, it was more that GEJ lost the election than that Tinubu/Buhari won.

2 Likes

Re: Jagaban by SirShymexx: 3:53pm On Apr 03, 2015
Katsumoto:

You nailed it.

I think it was obvious GEJ was a lame duck, after OBJ wrote that letter - the handwriting was on the wall.

And I alluded to it on that thread cos OBJ's history is rife with jumping ship, whenever there's danger ahead.

The man is well connected.

1 Like

Re: Jagaban by coogar: 4:08pm On Apr 03, 2015
Katsumoto:

You nailed it.

nah, GEJ didn't just lose the election. APC made him lose the election & that credits go to tinubu and his astute posse.

awolowo is overrated - he couldn't even keep oyo state from NPN in the 83 elections. yet, we have tinubu who have directly or indirectly ruled lagos for the past 16 years and plotted the downfall of the most powerful political party in the history of nigeria - and you guys want to deny him his credits?

i give up.

5 Likes

Re: Jagaban by Katsumoto: 4:39pm On Apr 03, 2015
coogar:

nah, GEJ didn't just lose the election. APC made him lose the election & that credits go to tinubu and his astute posse.

awolowo is overrated - he couldn't even keep oyo state from NPN in the 83 elections. yet, we have tinubu who have directly or indirectly ruled lagos for the past 16 years and plotted the downfall of the most powerful political party in the history of nigeria - and you guys want to deny him his credits?

i give up.

So the incumbent losing an election in Nigeria had nothing to do with the disenfranchisement of the people? GEJ was incompetent, weak, and corrupt. That's why he lost the election. Did Tinubu and Buhari not lose to GEJ 4 years ago? Did Buhari not lose 3 previous elections? In 1983, NPN rigged Oyo and Ondo. Perhaps you should read up on the violence that followed in those states.

Winning elections aside, what is Tinubu's legacy? No doubt, Tinubu is good at politics but governing is a different matter entirely. We don't have elections so we can decide who is best at winning them, we do so we can select the best person for governing.

2 Likes

Re: Jagaban by raumdeuter: 4:45pm On Apr 03, 2015
Shymexx I completely disagree
Re: Jagaban by coogar: 4:50pm On Apr 03, 2015
Katsumoto:

So the incumbent losing an election in Nigeria had nothing to do with the disenfranchisement of the people? GEJ was incompetent, weak, and corrupt. That's why he lost the election. Did Tinubu and Buhari not lose to GEJ 4 years ago? Did Buhari not lose 3 previous elections? In 1983, NPN rigged Oyo and Ondo. Perhaps you should read up on the violence that followed in those states.

disenfranchisement? and yet GEJ still polled 12 million of the 27 million votes that counted? nigerians must be masochists. cheesy grin without the south west, GEJ would have won and that's the single most important factor here.

Winning elections aside, what is Tinubu's legacy? No doubt, Tinubu is good at politics but governing is a different matter entirely. We don't have elections so we can decide who is best at winning them, we do so we can select the best person for governing.

tinubu's legacy is putting the yoruba race on the map again. his tactical astuteness in placing osinbajo as the running mate to buhari when everyone thought rotimi amaechi would get it was a brilliant move.

awolowo wouldn't have been able to usurp the ruling power like tinubu did. let's get that clear - awo is too principled and while this attribute isn't necessarily bad, it often beclouds the sense of reasoning.

don't let tinubu's sangfroid attitude deceive you, he's a political monster. NPN that outfoxed awo was a microcosm of what PDP is. this is the greatest election feat in the history of nigeria. many didn't see it coming.

1 Like

Re: Jagaban by raumdeuter: 4:52pm On Apr 03, 2015
Tinubu won this election for Buhari

This is the 4th time Buhari is attempting the presidency, what changed this time? It was the Tinubu factor

ow did Tinubu get here within 8yrs

As at 2007 Tinubu AC had 1 state. EVen someone like Orji Kalu had 2 states

How did Tinubu grow from a 1 state ruler to a national behemoth? By playing politics

Awolowo was a better administrator, brilliant person but Tinubu was a better Politician than Awolowo

Give Awolowo 100yrs he would never win the givt at the center with his attitude. Awolowo was quoted as saying "Rather than work with Gambari, He would rather die" or something like that.

In the previous Buhari attempts he would just campaign in the North, speaking Hausa, elections would come and he would win only core Northern states and end up losing the election.

WHat did Tinubu do? He first let Buhari go with his hardline stand in 2011 and saw the result.

He now took him in 2015 repackaged him, supported him financially, gave him his media, did the propaganda war etc

EVen things as little as Buharis dressing was repackaged. In previous elections Buhari rarely dressed in other attires aside his Hausa ones now we have pictures of Buhari not only wearing Ibo, Ijaw, Yorubas but even suit

2 Likes

Re: Jagaban by coogar: 4:53pm On Apr 03, 2015
raumdeuter:
Tinubu won this election for Buhari

This is the 4th time Buhari is attempting the presidency, what changed this time? It was the Tinubu factor

ow did Tinubu get here within 8yrs

As at 2007 Tinubu AC had 1 state. EVen someone like Orji Kalu had 2 states

How did Tinubu grow from a 1 state ruler to a national behemoth? By playing politics

Awolowo was a better administrator, brilliant person but Tinubu was a better Politician than Awolowo

Give Awolowo 100yrs he would never win the givt at the center with his attitude. Awolowo was quoted as saying "Rather than work with Gambari, He would rather die" or something like that.

In the previous Buhari attempts he would just campaign in the North, speaking Hausa, elections would come and he would win only core Northern states and end up losing the election.

WHat did Tinubu do? He first let Buhari go with his hardline stand in 2011 and saw the result.

He now took him in 2015 repackaged him, supported him financially, gave him his media, did the propaganda war etc

EVen things as little as Buharis dressing was repackaged. In previous elections Buhari rarely dressed in other attires aside his Hausa ones now we have pictures of Buhari not only wearing Ibo, Ijaw, Yorubas but even suit

tell them.........

2 Likes

Re: Jagaban by raumdeuter: 5:04pm On Apr 03, 2015
Tinubu was a better politician than Awolowo that is a Fact. I know we like to romanticize the past but defeating a 16yr monster Awolowo can never achieve that

1. When every Yoruba governor and leader was bowing down to OBJ, Tinubu was the only one who stood up to OBJ

2. After Tinubu won 1 state in 2007, He began a scheme of winning more states. His strategy was to push the AC brand and also used established politicians from other parties or disgruntled PDP members against the establishment

3. His first target. Oshiomole. A popular candidate under Labor Party who had just lost to the PDP, Tinubu dropped the structure of AC in Edo for him and supported Oshiomole in the legal battle. Oshiomole won making him the number 2 person

4. He used this same tactic for Mimiko, ended up chasing PDP from Ondo but the Mimiko gamble backfired because Mimiko had other plans for himself

5. He reached out to the North Central, disgruntled PDP men like Audu Ogbeh, Akume, he invited them into the ACN fold

After profitting from the popularity of Akume etc in the NCentral, Hebecame the number 2 party in Nigeria by 2011.

Now came the master strokes, the gambits. 1. The knight sac. ACN was more dominant in the SW, Naturally the SW should have provided the Minority leader of the senate and Ganiyu Solomon was poised. Tinubu declined and gave George Akume This forged a road into the North Central

He sacrificed the knight in Ganiyu Solomon to gain the rook in Akume, Gemande and half of the middle belt

The second masterstroke

The Speaker was zoned to the SW, That was a Roy Lopez openeing by the PDP to make inroads into Tinubus stronghold, Tinubu responded with a Sicilian Nadjorf counterplay. He declined and supported someone from the PDP fold. A blind gamble which could have gone awry like the Mimiko own

But at the end he won. The first time in history the number 4 man is an open sympathiser of the opposition

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jagaban by SirShymexx: 5:05pm On Apr 03, 2015
raumdeuter:
Shymexx I completely disagree

Not saying the man isn't an astute politician - but the "genius" attached to it is overrated. Especially, when folks start saying he's greater than Awolowo.

Let's say APGA wasn't a mini-PDP, and when the party was invited to join the coalition - the whole party structure, with both Peter Obi and Rochas, moved to APC. Would you attach the same "genius" to the both of them? All Tinubu did was provide a structure and probably finance the campaign.

Also, I will like to know the "genius" of the man, whose ACN never won in Ondo state. How was Mimiko able to outsmart him twice?

Now back to Awo and the first republic (something most folks like to critique him for). Based on the declassified M16 files released a few years ago (I can post the links if you want): before that election in which AG became the opposition, and the disagreement between Akintola and Awolowo on who to align with (Awolowo going with the East, with Akintola opting for the North) - there was an agreement between the Brits and Zik (based on a threat to expose how corrupt he was) to rig the election in the East, and align NCNC with NPC afterwards.

Awolowo just miscalculated because he wasn't aware of any agreement back then. And regardless of whatever decision he and Akintola made on who to align with - it was already sealed between NCNC and NPC, way before the election. So, I honestly don't know why folks still critique Awolowo for that, to be honest.
Re: Jagaban by coogar: 5:15pm On Apr 03, 2015
SirShymexx:
Awolowo just miscalculated because he wasn't aware of any agreement back then. And regardless of whatever decision he and Akintola made on who to align with - it was already sealed between NCNC and NPC, way before the election. So, I honestly don't know why folks still critique Awolowo for that, to be honest.

awolowo is a visionary leader but when it comes to the nitty-gritty of politicking, he's a lilliput. his idealism is his biggest weakness. in the current dispensation, awo would have been a lamb to these PDP vampires.

2 Likes

Re: Jagaban by raumdeuter: 5:16pm On Apr 03, 2015
SirShymexx:
Not saying the man isn't an astute politician - but the "genius" attached to it is overrated. Especially, when folks start saying he's greater than Awolowo.

Let's say APGA wasn't a mini-PDP, and when the party was invited to join the coalition - the whole party structure, with both Peter Obi and Rochas, moved to APC. Would you attach the same "genius" to the both of them? All Tinubu did was provide a structure and probably finance the campaign.

Also, I will like to know the "genius" of the man, whose ACN never won in Ondo state. How was Mimiko able to outsmart him twice?

Now back to Awo and the first republic (something most folks like to critique him for). Based on the declassified M16 files released a few years ago (I can post the links if you want): before that election in which AG became the opposition, and the disagreement between Akintola and Awolowo on who to align with (Awolowo going with the East, with Akintola opting for the North) - there was an agreement between the Brits and Zik (based on a threat to expose how corrupt he was) to rig the election in the East, and align NCNC with NPC afterwards.

Politics is a game of numbers. No matter how laudable your ideas are, If you dont have the numbers you are screwed.

Awo was a hardliner. Tinubu took from both Awolowo(maintain fanatical control of your base) and Akintola(Reach out to people with the numbers) (More from Akintola) to win this election. You need to ally with the man with the numbers to win election. Akintolas speech in 1964 that I post on youtube says whats the use when we keep speaking English in the SW, the supposed uneducated Hausa keep ruling us, their Ibo partners are now exported into our land to take over opportunities in our land

Now back to your post. APGA never had the control over the SE which Tinubu had over the SW. The SE was alwas didvided between PDP and APGA so, The SE had just 5 states, The APGA dont have a known charismatic leader. Peter Obi is more of a joke. If Buhari had aligned with APGA and Tinubu with Jonathan, Jonathan would have trounced Buhari easily

The Mimiko gambit backfired just once. and I cant blame Tinubu. He supported Mimiko in Ondo gave him all the little structure and finances of the AC with the agreement that Mimiko would decamp. Mimiko won the tribunal and Tinubu thought that was a deal. 3yrs into it when Mimiko was supposed to decamp Tinubu saw that he had no intentions of doing so by then it was just a few months to the next election, too late to build up the ACN structure which he had dismantled earlier and handed to Mimiko, creation of Adaba FM was too late and before he knew it election was over and ACN lost.

I dont see how that was Tinubus fault. in 2007, Tinubu was still fighting for his own life with OBJ and had no time for anyone then, It was post 2007 that he was able to strategize

Tinubu became the leader he is by getting intelligent people to do the administration while he handled the politics

4 Likes

Re: Jagaban by Katsumoto: 5:17pm On Apr 03, 2015
@ Coogar & DK

Our objectives are different

You guys may be satisfied with APC producing a Yoruba VP or President but that is not what I am after.

I am after the upliftment of the people. The North has produced more presidents that other zones; has that translated into an upliftment of the average northerner either socially or economically?

I repeat winning elections is not the be all and end all. For all the years that APC has ruled Lagos, Tinubu and his friends have gotten richer but what about the average Lagosian? I am all for Capitalism but there must be still be some form of wealth distribution.

And DK, your feelings about Awo are well known, so it is no surprise that you would champion someone above Awo. We pray for leaders that will come and surpass Awo's legacy but sadly, after 60 years none still come close.

You guys can continue to be satisfied with winning elections but I am not.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jagaban by Katsumoto: 5:19pm On Apr 03, 2015
raumdeuter:

Politics is a game of numbers. No matter how laudable your ideas are, If you dont have the numbers you are screwed.

Awo was a hardliner. Tinubu took from both Awolowo(maintain fanatical control of your base) and Akintola(Reach out to people with the numbers) (More from Akintola) to win this election. You need to ally with the man with the numbers to win election. Akintolas speech in 1964 that I post on youtube says whats the use when we keep speaking English in the SW, the supposed uneducated Hausa keep ruling us, their Ibo partners are now exported into our land to take over opportunities in our land

Now back to your post. APGA never had the control over the SE which Tinubu had over the SW. The SE was alwas didvided between PDP and APGA so, The SE had just 5 states, The APGA dont have a known charismatic leader. Peter Obi is more of a joke. If Buhari had aligned with APGA and Tinubu with Jonathan, Jonathan would have trounced Buhari easily

The Mimiko gambit backfired just once. and I cant blame Tinubu. He supported Mimiko in Ondo gave him all the little structure and finances of the AC with the agreement that Mimiko would decamp. Mimiko won the tribunal and Tinubu thought that was a deal. 3yrs into it when Mimiko was supposed to decamp Tinubu saw that he had no intentions of doing so by then it was just a few months to the next election, too late to build up the ACN structure which he had dismantled earlier and handed to Mimiko, creation of Adaba FM was too late and before he knew it election was over and ACN lost.

I dont see how that was Tinubus fault. in 2007, Tinubu was still fighting for his own life with OBJ and had no time for anyone then, It was post 2007 that he was able to strategize

Tinubu became the leader he is by getting intelligent people to do the administration while he handled the politics

At bolded, are you attempting to re-write history? How did Akintola reach out to the people? Perhaps you meant Akintola reached out to Balewa and Bello.

1 Like

Re: Jagaban by raumdeuter: 5:20pm On Apr 03, 2015
coogar:

awolowo is a visionary leader but when it comes to the nitty-gritty of politicking, he's a lilliput. his idealism is his biggest weakness. in the current dispensation, awo would have been a lamb to these PDP vampires.

If Awolowo had played in this dispensation of the vicious PDP, OBJ and the impunity of nowadays. He would either have fled or been thrown into jail like they did in 1963. If the first coup never happened, which led to killing of most of Awo's opponents, Imagine what would have become of Awolowo when he is eventually released

Yet Tinubu was able to manouvre without any problems

1 Like

Re: Jagaban by raumdeuter: 5:21pm On Apr 03, 2015
Katsumoto:

At bolded, are you attempting to re-write history? How did Akintola reach out to the people? Perhaps you meant Akintola reached out to Balewa and Bello.

The Hausas were the people with numbers, Akintola reached out to them which Awolowo swore never to do and why Awo never won a Federal election

3 Likes

Re: Jagaban by 4chi: 5:21pm On Apr 03, 2015
ADAMUdaCOWBOY:
pls yorubas in the house what does jagaban mean

Jagaban is a variant of JAGUDA. Or JAGUDA PAALI. it's a cognomen often ascribed to people with Very sticky fingers...it's also a shortened variant of JAGABANDIT..a local version of ROBIN HOOD.

To any sane and rational mind,Tinubu is nothing but a common thief afflicted with a very severe case of kleptomania. That he flaunts his stolen wealth all over the place and builds his political empire therefrom does not erase that fact. And people comparing Awolowo to a man of dubious pedigree and serious criminal tendencies needs to have their brains examined....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jagaban by raumdeuter: 5:25pm On Apr 03, 2015
Katsumoto:
@ Coogar & DK

Our objectives are different
You guys may be satisfied with APC producing a Yoruba VP or President but that is not what I am after.
I am after the upliftment of the people. The North has produced more presidents that other zones; has that translated into an upliftment of the average northerner either socially or economically?
I repeat winning elections is not the be all and end all. For all the years that APC has ruled Lagos, Tinubu and his friends have gotten richer but what about the average Lagosian? I am all for Capitalism but there must be still be some form of wealth distribution.

And DK, your feelings about Awo are well known, so it is no surprise that you would champion someone above Awo. We pray for leaders that will come and surpass Awo's legacy but sadly, after 60 years none still come close.

You guys can continue to be satisfied with winning elections but I am not.

Politics and Administration is different

Politics is about winning the elections, Administration is making the lives of people better.

Both have their own advantages. If you dont win elections you cant implement your programs. Who knows maybe Gani Fawehinmi would have been the best leader ever but since he never won an election he never got to implement his programs.

The laudable programs Awolowo had for the country what became of them? They are still somewhere in the archives.

Tinubu has gotten richer and the lives of the average Lagosians have gotten better relative to the average Nigerian

1 Like

Re: Jagaban by SirShymexx: 5:25pm On Apr 03, 2015
coogar:

I honestly doubt that based on how GEJ self-destruct by turning PDP into a regional party - and doubling-up as the ruling party, which heavily marginalised the SW.

Politics is a game of chance and numbers. And regardless of his distrust with the North - he would've taken his chance as well. Why didn't Tinubu take the chance and align with Buhari in 2011, when ACN was at its peak?

And didn't the UPN also align with some Northern party (or Northern politicians) during the 1979 elections? (I need to check my archives for the names).

1 Like

Re: Jagaban by raumdeuter: 5:29pm On Apr 03, 2015
SirShymexx:
I honestly doubt that based on how GEJ self-destruct by turning PDP into a regional party - and doubling-up as the ruling party, which heavily marginalised the SW.
Politics is a game of chance and numbers. And regardless of his distrust with the North - he would've taken his chance as well. Why didn't Tinubu take the chance and align with Buhari in 2011, when ACN was at its peak?
And didn't the UPN also align with some Northern party (or Northern politicians) during the 1979 elections? (I need to check my archives for the names).

Buhari in 2011 was not prepared to play with Tinubus brand of politics. He never reached out to Tinubu. He did it the way he has always done earlier and still lost. Buhari didnt even campaign in all the 36 states.

Awolowo rather than work with Bello or Balewa would rather offer himself as Deputy to Azikwe. That was how much he hated the Northern elites

In his UPN days I think he even chose an Ibo man Umeadi from Anambra as running mate. Is that not idealistic?

Its like Wole Soyinka picking Pat Utomi and want to run for presidency

2 Likes

Re: Jagaban by Katsumoto: 5:32pm On Apr 03, 2015
raumdeuter:

The Hausas were the people with numbers, Akintola reached out to them which Awolowo swore never to do and why Awo never won a Federal election

So Akintola reached out to the Northerners and what did Akintola gain for the SW in return? I am not after the appointment of Yoruba sons to positions of power. What was gained in all that? Juxtapose whatever gains he made with the loss of life and property in the SW that followed.

You guys can talk all about the first republic with all the political sagacity of Cicero but one fact escapes you - that was a different era. The various groups had not lived together for Long and there was huge mistrust all around. What did they know of each other? A man who just moved into a new street with new neighbours cant be compared with a man who was born on that street in terms of building relationships.

1 Like

Re: Jagaban by SirShymexx: 5:44pm On Apr 03, 2015
raumdeuter:

Yes, Awo was a hardliner - but the clime back then was different, and he needed that approach to be able to create a structure. When Awo returned from the UK - he could've joined NCNC, and play second-fiddle to Zik. However, he understood what was at stake...and that Yorubas need a proper political structure, before reaching out. Hence he started "Egbe Omo Oduduwa", which later metamorphosed into AG. And that's the structure the Yorubas have built on since then, to where they're at today. Also, you can't deny the fact that he later toned it down during the 1979 elections, and did align with folks from different parts of the country - but he was rigged out (story for another day).

Akintola was able to align with the North, after it became glaring that Zik and his cronies were trying to dominate the North, in the struggle for power. Hence they had to look towards the West - to negate them. He also had no chance whatsoever before the first republic because the agreement was already sealed between NPC and NCNC, way before the election.

However, when they were forming the APC coalition, they'd reach out to APGA, the same way they reached out to ACN - and that was why Rochas joined APC. So, I honestly don't see any genius in that. It was a collection of opposition parties in different geopolitical zones, trying to form a pan-Nigerian party.

Well, Mimiko outsmarted him. You can't outsmart a "genius" like that, especially when you're doing it with a small party like LP. His genius should've given ACN the mandate in Ondo - just as the AD party which was formed based on Awo's name/legacy, swept all the SWern states during the 1999 elections. The fact that he never won in Ondo shows he shouldn't even be compared to Awo.

Regardless, I admire the man and his politics. But you can't crown him and place him above Awo, based on an opportunistic election that was already sealed, way before APC was formed. He hasn't even done anything for the Yorubas, while a lot of Yorubas are still benefiting from Awolowo's legacy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Abike Dabiri's Encounter With Pro-Biafrans In Toronto (Pictures) / COVID-19: How Yinka Odumakin Died - Wife, Dr. Josephine Okei-Odumakin / Asari Dokubo On Twitter, ''this Is An Outrage''

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.