Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,661 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:37 PM

Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? (24354 Views)

Opinion; Is It Not A Sin To Call The Day That Jesus Died "A Good Friday" ? / What’s So Good About Good Friday? / How Significant Is Good Friday? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by KingTom(m): 7:44am On Apr 03, 2015
softapple:
it was propounded by APC supporters to deceive us of change, "PDP forever bcaus 2day its meat 4 us thru out.
Sense has finally finished in this one's head! grin grin grin
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by Nobody: 7:45am On Apr 03, 2015
KingTom:
Sense has finally finished in this one's head! grin grin grin
U SMOKE WEED?
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by Misogynist2014(m): 7:46am On Apr 03, 2015
Joel3:
just wen we have clamored for change and we have gotten the change. don't you think there is room for change?

NEW WORDS IN THE ENGLISH DICTIONARY
ORUBEBE /oˈrubebe/ (VerB-): abnormal
behaviour or an attempt to disrupt peaceful
gathering or well organised event.
[from Latin oˈrube : to disrupt]
Examples:
1. He tried to orubebe the sacred ocassion but
the police do not give in.
2. The football match was orubebe by the
defeating team yesterday Derivatives:
ORU-BE-BE-ISM (Noun)
ORU-BE-BE-TIC (Adjective) e.g: ~ attitude
JEGA /Jəˈga/ (VerB-): [a] Using godly wisdom
to calm the unneeded agitation or ruckus
caused by a
dopey fool in a peaceful gathering.
[b] To indirectly show to the public a person
who lack manner and attempt causing
agitation
[from Latin Jeˈga : Calm distubance wisely]
Examples:
1. If you Orubebe me I will Jega you.
2. When he was making unnecessary argument
to the public, I jega him.
Derivatives:
JE-GA-ISM (Noun)
JE-GA-TIC (Adjective) e.g: ~ approach First
Edition. Copyright © 2015 by Davog
Publishing
Company.
There are places in which you should have added 'ed'
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by Misogynist2014(m): 7:47am On Apr 03, 2015
The papacy is like the Pharisees of Jesus' time.
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by Olamipapa(m): 7:49am On Apr 03, 2015
Gsmiles26:
Friday is always a good day cos its the beginning of the weekend but this 3/4/15 is even special because its the day we remember the ultimate sacrifice dat brought man back to God after the fall of adam and eve.

But eating of meat has become a bone of contention amongst many, some say its abominable because they see it as eating the flesh of Jesus while others think otherwise. What is your view on this?

Have your say!

Strictly for christians!!

Bible itself is superstitious.
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by samplegirl(f): 7:51am On Apr 03, 2015
It is unbiblical and lies from pit of hell. Those who do it lack knowledge.

''My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge'' says the book of Hosea 4:6.

There is a biblical qoutation to prove that it is unbiblical and as such un-Godly.

1 Like

Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by shejane: 7:51am On Apr 03, 2015
nativedoctor:
It has nothing to do with the bible or superstition.
It is just an act of denying yourself some pleasure which you enjoy regularly (self mortification) to align your self with the suffering of Jesus on good friday. Some people abstain every Wednesday and Friday, some throughout lent. may just not be on good Friday alone. Some people abstain from alcohol or s.ex or some other activities which they enjoy.

1000likes I was a catholic and dis is d reason from abstaining from meat on a good friday

We believe that meat is aform of enjoyment so is a way to punish our flesh and dwell on d crucifixion of Christ

Wherever u worship always obey and follow d doctrine once is not a sin even d bible said "obey the laws of your land" and "believe the prophets of God so u can prosper" if you are not comfortable with any doctrine guiding ur church d best thing is to leave for your own good

2 Likes

Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by kunlenkirol(m): 7:52am On Apr 03, 2015
I have not seen anywhere in the bible where no one is mandated not to eat meat on good friday. I guess its a myth out of reverence for Jesus Christ. Persomally, I dont observe it. So it is a choice.
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by honourhim: 7:54am On Apr 03, 2015
Abstaining from meat is nonsensical, it is not biblical.
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by erasokafor(m): 7:56am On Apr 03, 2015
Some churches don't wear earings.some wear trousers,some abstain from meat. Most of these may not be biblical but contains in their own law.in cath it is called canon law.either u obey or u don't .but its a belief system for the church and as long as I knw,religion is the belief in the existence of the supernatural.
The Catholic Church historically observes the discipline of fasting or abstinence at various times each year. For Catholics, fasting is the reduction of one's intake of food, while abstinence refers to refraining from meat (or another type of food). The Catholic Church teaches that all people are obliged by God to perform some penance for their sins, and that these acts of penance are both personal and corporeal. The purpose of fasting is spiritual focus, self-discipline, imitation of Christ, and performing penance.

Contemporary Vatican legislation, which is followed by Catholics of the Latin Rite (who comprise most Catholics) is rooted in the 1966 Apostolic Constitution of Pope Paul VI, Paenitemini, and codified in the 1983 Code of Canon Law (in Canons 1249–1253). According to Paenitemini and the 1983 Code of Canon Law, on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday, both abstinence and fasting are required of Catholics who are not exempted for various reasons. All Fridays of the year are days of penance. All persons who are fourteen years old and older are bound by the law of abstinence on all Fridays that are not Solemnities. Nevertheless, both Paenitemini and the 1983 Code of Canon Law permitted the Episcopal Conferences to propose adjustments of the laws on fasting and abstinence for their home territories, and most have done so. For example, in some countries, the Bishops' Conferences have obtained from Rome the substitution of pious or charitable acts for abstinence from meat on all Fridays of the year (including Fridays of Lent) except Good Friday. Others continue to abstain from eating meat on Lenten Fridays, but not on Fridays outside of Lent. Still others voluntarily abstain from meat on Fridays throughout the year.

Members of the Eastern Catholic Churches are obliged to follow the discipline of their own particular church. While some Eastern Catholics try to follow the stricter rules of their Orthodox counterparts, the actual canonical obligations of Eastern Catholics to fast and abstain are usually much more lenient than those of the Orthodox. It is presumed that the Personal Ordinariate of the Chair of Saint Peter (the newly created jurisdiction of the Church for former Anglicans) will assume the discipline of Friday abstinence as conceived in the Book of Common Prayer. Early Prayer Books set out rules that were in-line with the Sarum Rite of the time, where most days prior to Solemnities and Feasts were delegated as "days of abstinence" along with the Rogation Days. The eating of fish on these days is generally ruled out within the English Patrimony of the Personal Ordinariate of the Chair of Saint Peter.

The Catholic practice of abstaining from meat on Fridays popularized the Friday

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by patostation(m): 7:59am On Apr 03, 2015
oluwaisaac:
Pagan....and superstitious!

The same for other "christian" doctrines such as christmas, easter, valentine, ash wednesday, birthday, laity and clergy distinction, church titles (father, reverend), If you doubt google it
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by Ahnahyaw: 8:00am On Apr 03, 2015
We Catholics insist on abstaining from eating meat not because It's the body of our Lord Jesus But to try to subdue the flesh in form of fasting from meat. There is no myth nor superstition attached.
All are geared to self mortification and a better Christian life.

1 Like

Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by Nobody: 8:00am On Apr 03, 2015
I absolutely think it's superstitions'though I'm not a bible student but I don't think its in the bible.
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by Nobody: 8:03am On Apr 03, 2015
Yomieluv:
Thank God am not eating meat today,because I will be eating fried turkey,and pork..
LMAO! What difference does it make,they all have blood. I don't practice it anyway.
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by smudge2079(m): 8:07am On Apr 03, 2015
so my chicken and beef na Jesus flesh smhhhh
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by ebukaOtika(m): 8:08am On Apr 03, 2015
Alexk2:
To me, it is not just superstitious but may be ungodly to make that a doctrine...where can we find that in the bible?
that is purely the doctrine of men.

You can see Yourself ,,.?

Its not in the Bible "so your pastor said"

Now let me ask you ,,. Everything you do , do you have them in the Bible eh,,.,,?

If its not working for you ,,,, leave it for those its working for ,.,,,

Afterall no life is lost here ,.,,,

Back in the Years , the Anglicans dont celebrate Palm Sunday as the Catholics do ,,,,

But this year took another Dimension when i saw them Celebrating Palm Sunday ...

To me At all means that they are Gradually OPENING THEIR EYES to Reality and not Mediocrity.

#quotetoinsultisallowed.

I'm off to work guys.
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by Nobody: 8:13am On Apr 03, 2015
[size=15pt]Gsmiles26 its neither Superstitious nor based on the authority of Scripture.[/size]

It's a tradition Catholics have to mark today, which is the day that Christ died for them. To me it works because I've never had a Good Friday when I wasn't forced by abstinence, penitence or by going to church to think about the immense act Jesus made for us today.

That said, if you're not Catholic or where not raised Catholic I doubt that it'll resonate with you.

Some further explanation:

Catholics practice various acts of penitence and spiritual self-discipline during Lent, the (approximately) forty days leading up to Easter. One of those disciplines is a fast that requires Catholics to abstain from meat on Fridays during Lent. The rule is based on the authority of the Church, not on the authority of Scripture.

Centuries ago, the Catholic Church had a law that forbade consuming meat on all Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. Later, this rule was relaxed to remove meat from the diet on Ash Wednesday and all Fridays. In 1966, Catholic bishops in America, with the blessing of Pope Paul VI, further relaxed the rule. Nowadays meat is only prohibited on Ash Wednesday, Good Friday, and Fridays of the Lenten season. Catholics are obligated to observe this fast as a minimum; they can make up stricter requirements for themselves, if they so desire.

The stated reason for abstaining from meat on Fridays during Lent is to remind the faithful that Jesus died on a Friday. Jesus gave up His body (His flesh), and Catholics, in an effort to attain greater communion with Christ, refrain from consuming flesh.

Why is fish allowed? The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops states that fish are a different category of animal. So it’s only the meat of warm-blooded animals that is prohibited. Eggs, butter, and milk are allowed.

There is nothing in the Bible that remotely suggests that Christians must follow a predetermined fast. Abstaining from meat during Lent is simply a man-made ritual of the Catholic Church. It has no inherent spiritual value and cannot guarantee that a person draws closer to Christ. While fasting can be beneficial, it is good to remember Jesus’ words, “What goes into someone's mouth does not defile them” (Matthew 15:11).

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/meat-on-Fridays.html#ixzz3WEAiCbFG

1 Like

Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by Nobody: 8:14am On Apr 03, 2015
Them go call am the meat of Christ......buh wait o, why will Jesus be busy dying for our sake and u all are busy eating MEAT?

STPEACE:
My annoyance is that i have asked most of them(catholics and baptics members) around me the reason why they dnt eat meat on Good friday. None of them gave me a good reason for that, they are just doing that to fulfil or rightiousness. They are just following church doctrine.
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by ebukaOtika(m): 8:14am On Apr 03, 2015
cocoberry:
It is A form of Mortification!

Yeah

I.e if they will understand what you mean by MORTIFICATION.

1 Like

Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by Cutehector(m): 8:14am On Apr 03, 2015
The only meat u should eat today as a catholic and as a christain is d body and blood of Christ!
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by btoks: 8:15am On Apr 03, 2015
zicoraads:
Why wouldn't he want an answer to it? I am glad he asked because before now, I had absolutely no idea about this practice.

For some of us, if it's not biblical, I would certainly question the rationale behind it, then either do it, or not. But, I would never judge those who would.

Personally, I think Christianity shouldn't be about what the 'mother church' says, or what 'my pastor/bishop' says. Each and every one of us has access to the bible and to God. Yes, the church is very important but I don't see it as the ultimate.

I ask God questions, so who is the church?
The issue with personal opinions about christianity is that we end up with different even conflicting doctrines and practices.
Within the bible,we find that the church is the bulwark & pillar of truth(1Tim3:15),this is why Catholics follow the church's teachings to ensure right guidance and uniformity.
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by Nobody: 8:15am On Apr 03, 2015
Catholics go call am the meat of Christ......buh wait o, why will Jesus be busy dying for our sake and u all are busy eating MEAT?
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by Ochhie(f): 8:18am On Apr 03, 2015
BeeBeeOoh:
Na today meat dey cheap die. Abeg make day kukuma break, abbatoir tins..
lol that reminds me! time to run to d market
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by Ochhie(f): 8:19am On Apr 03, 2015
The meat of animals can never be compared to the flesh of God, never!
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by Defcon1(m): 8:20am On Apr 03, 2015
Nneka123:
Everyone got their beliefs and values. We "Catholics" believe that eating meat on a good friday, is like eating the flesh of christ, and inflicting more pain to him, so it's neither of that!!
But you receive holy communion,
how convenientundecided
l think it's more about mortification, denying yourself some pleasures (just like fasting), as a sign of repentance so as to reduce the allure of sin.

Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by johnne04(m): 8:23am On Apr 03, 2015
Keep doing this in remembrance of me.—1 Cor. 11:24.

‘With the clouds gone, we can see the crescent of the moon. That means the start of a new month, Nisan. Certainly, Jesus will want to head for Jerusalem in order to arrive before the Passover.’ We can imagine such thoughts coming to the mind of some who were with Jesus in Perea (across the Jordan) on his final trip to Jerusalem. (Matt. 19:1; 20:17, 29; Mark 10:1, 32, 46) Once the first day of the Jewish month Nisan was determined, the Passover would be held 13 days later, after sunset on Nisan 14. Today is the date of the Lord’s Evening Meal, which corresponds to the date of the Passover.—1 Cor. 11:23-25. w13 12/15 4:1-3
Memorial Bible reading:  (Daytime events: Nisan 13)  Matthew 26:17-19; Luke 22:7-13  (Events after sunset: Nisan 14)  Matthew 26:20-56
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by zicoraads: 8:24am On Apr 03, 2015
Nneka123:
why?
Why not? He provides entertainment and fun. We have missed him.
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by olaglamour(f): 8:24am On Apr 03, 2015
constance500:

On point sir, one orijin for u this early morning grin
ORIJIN,!!! Even on a good Friday morning
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by tayebest(m): 8:24am On Apr 03, 2015
Yomieluv:
Thank God am not eating meat today,because I will be eating fried turkey,and pork..
Deut 14:8 ; The pig is also unclean; although it has a divided
hoof, it does not chew the cud. You are not to eat
their meat or touch their carcasses. --------------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by patostation(m): 8:28am On Apr 03, 2015
Ahnahyaw:
We Catholics insist on abstaining from eating meat not because It's the body of our Lord Jesus But to try to subdue the flesh in form of fasting from meat. There is no myth nor superstition attached.
All are geared to self mortification and a better Christian life.

If one is to "subdue the flesh" once in a year (ie on good friday) what good will that do? How will that lead to "a better christian life?

Instead of being dogmatic and continue a 'follow-follow' tradition of men, I encourage beleivers (Catholic, Jewish, Muslim, even Animist believer) to be reasonable and ask questions regarding their beliefs. If your religion was beqeated on you by your parents, you even have more reasons to question frivolous and meaningless dogma. Some of our forefathers killed twins out of religious beliefs. Today, we know better. Please let us be belivers with reasonable reasons (James 3:17)
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by treasuremi1(m): 8:29am On Apr 03, 2015
Absolutely superstitious
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by Octaves(m): 8:30am On Apr 03, 2015
Hahaha. They are not christians! How are you a christian when your church never met christ. Most protestants are just delusional.
Opiosko:
It's not biblical and those who practise it are not Christians. The are the image worshipping roman catholic

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Pastor E.A Adeboye Plays The Piano (Video, Photo) / My Experience With The Jehovah's Witnesses Organization / Why Wouldn't You Marry A Sister From Your Church?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.