Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,634 members, 7,809,388 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:37 AM

Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? (24325 Views)

Opinion; Is It Not A Sin To Call The Day That Jesus Died "A Good Friday" ? / What’s So Good About Good Friday? / How Significant Is Good Friday? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by heatflux: 10:36am On Apr 03, 2015
I believe you will get your answers on this thread:

https://www.nairaland.com/2234818/why-catholic-christains-not-eat-meat

Pls be informed!
The practice of abstaining from meat is a catholic doctrine. Its usually practised during lenten season especially on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday in preparation for Easter. It has nothing to do with the flesh of Jesus Christ or superstition as some would say. Its simply a form of fast, self denial from such pleasure/enjoyment. Its Abstinence from meat just as you would abstain from food and water while fasting n praying. The idea is that you deny yourself from that specific satisfaction while asking God for forgiveness of your sins.

2 Likes

Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by heatflux: 10:37am On Apr 03, 2015
Gsmiles26:
Friday is always a good day cos its the beginning of the weekend but this 3/4/15 is even special because its the day we remember the ultimate sacrifice dat brought man back to God after the fall of adam and eve.

But eating of meat has become a bone of contention amongst many, some say its abominable because they see it as eating the flesh of Jesus while others think otherwise. What is your view on this?

Have your say!

Strictly for christians!!

Pls be informed!
The practice of abstaining from meat is a catholic doctrine. Its usually practised during lenten season especially on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday in preparation for Easter. It has nothing to do with the flesh of Jesus Christ or superstition as some would say. Its simply a form of fast, self denial from such pleasure/enjoyment. Its Abstinence from meat just as you would abstain from food and water while fasting n praying. The idea is that you deny yourself from that specific satisfaction while asking God for forgiveness of your sins.

1 Like

Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by bengoodcreature: 10:38am On Apr 03, 2015
Its not Biblical, what maters is doing God's wil ok

1 Like

Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by ajayiopy: 10:41am On Apr 03, 2015
I hope I can eat fish[i][/i]
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by virus05(m): 10:43am On Apr 03, 2015
look

Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by netmillionaires(m): 10:49am On Apr 03, 2015
Ifebazz:

If you start looking for everything you practice as a Christian in the bible, you go old pass Metusella. We might firstly look for where in the bible iPad was used to preach, or rabbis fry their hair or where it says you should close your eyes to pray.
Any practice that is not contrary to the will of God should be encouraged. Practices that helps to endear people to God be encouraged.
Keep looking for the intestine of ant, you will miss the mark.
There is nothing wrong in using the bible to preach. Where in the bible is the Bible as a book been used to preach? This is just an advance in technology. In the days of Christ, the word of God is in a Scroll. Imagine U want to read Genesis. U will keep unwinding till ur hand ache. The bible as U have it today was developed to make reading the bible more easier. Likewise it was put into an Electronic device for mobility reason. The arguement about using Ipad is because of some people who might be surfing the net instead of reading the Bible. Is the gospel been preached through TV during the time of Christ! No! That it is been preached through TV this days is not anti-Christ. When Jesus talked about the Gospel been preached all over the world He already saw advent of technology.
Eating of meat on this day and that is just a tradition of man. It doesn't bring man any closer to God.
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by fexichi(f): 10:56am On Apr 03, 2015
heatflux:
Pls be informed!

thank you for speaking my very thoughts. I only wish you were on the front page. It is actually not by force and will only mean something if done wholeheartedly.
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by hotgunz(m): 11:07am On Apr 03, 2015
Addietunes:

So you are saying that it is your church that you are worshipping and not God.
then u show me werr in the bible s written that on ds day u must nt eat flesh cos u re eatin jesus
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by corektchic: 11:14am On Apr 03, 2015
STPEACE:
My annoyance is that i have asked most of them(catholics and baptics members) around me the reason why they dnt eat meat on Good friday. None of them gave me a good reason for that, they are just doing that to fulfil or rightiousness. They are just following church doctrine.
May be they don't pay attention in church. The reason for abstaining from meat is a form of fasting. Meat is generally used because it's one meal dat is irresistible to man. U could actually abstain from anything u know ur too attached to. Alcoholism, smoking even make up. We fast or mortify ourselves on Good friday as it reminds us of d pains Christ in His human form endured for our sake.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by davedave1: 11:15am On Apr 03, 2015
jopex:
Yoruba people with their cheap scam , shey na ritual ni?
How is ds about any tribe ? I don't know if its a must for some people to comment nonsense in ds forum...we r all one body in Christ
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by davedave1: 11:17am On Apr 03, 2015
Its neither biblical or supperstition, bt its out of respect for the blood that Jesus christ shed when He was crucified and surely its not mandatory....peace out
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by sukkot: 11:30am On Apr 03, 2015
ebukaOtika:

Jehovah Witness wey no dey Sing National Anthem ,,? Even school anthem na Wahala ,,,, they no dey Yeap Earrings and so on ,,,, why you no ask them where e dey for BIBLE,.,,,?

Doubting THOMAS.
bros wetin you chop remain ?
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by Fundango: 12:12pm On Apr 03, 2015
No wonder pepper soup looks very cheap at most restaurants today @ sabon gari in kano.
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by bobcharly(m): 1:37pm On Apr 03, 2015
[img][/img]
if some celebrities can get plenty 'likes'
just for baring their bosssomms on
social networks...How much can you
give to our Lord Jesus Christ for dying
on the cross for our sake? ...#
goodfriday

1 Like

Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by RobinHez(m): 2:08pm On Apr 03, 2015
The only way Jesus commanded we His disciples to
remember Him was by observing the Lord's Supper.
LUKE 22:19
The Church has instead imbibed different
celebrations that have pagan origins and therefore,
played down the importance of the Lord's supper.
For those who are conversant with history, we
should know Semiramis. She is also known as Ishtar
; were we get the word Easter from. She ordered the
women of Babel to mourn her dead husband/son-
Nimrod for 40 days. This is the 40-day lent period
being observed. During that period, they were not to
eat meat.
I'm not to good at history but u can continue on
these facts online. The point I'm driving at is...
Mystery babylon has captured the Church of Christ.
The early church never practised any of these
celebrations but we can see in Acts 2:42-46 that the
church 'came together to Break Bread (which is the
Lord's Supper)'
God has promised the fall of mystery Babylon. And
it will come to pass. Revelations 17 & 18
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by Temysteve(m): 2:12pm On Apr 03, 2015
There is no specific place in the bible that says meat or fish shld not be eating, but i think if ur doctrine impose dat on u den u shld abstrain from it.....
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by dejol88: 2:22pm On Apr 03, 2015
The law of abstinence requires a
Catholic 14 years of age until death to abstain from
eating meat on Fridays in honor of the Passion of
Jesus on Good Friday. Meat is considered to be the
flesh and organs of mammals and fowl. Also
forbidden are soups or gravies made from them.
Salt and freshwater species of fish, amphibians,
reptiles and shellfish are permitted, as are animal
derived products such as margarine and gelatin
which do not have any meat taste.
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by Alexk2(m): 6:09pm On Apr 03, 2015
ebukaOtika post=32295633] You can see Yourself ,,.? Its not in the Bible "so your pastor said" Now let me ask you ,,. Everything you do , do you have them in the Bible eh,,.,,? If its not working for you ,,,, leave it for those its working for ,.,,, Afterall no life is lost here ,.,,, Back in the Years , the Anglicans dont celebrate Palm Sunday as the Catholics do ,,,, But this year took another Dimension when i saw them Celebrating Palm Sunday ... To me At all means that they are Gradually OPENING THEIR EYES to Reality and not Mediocrity. #quotetoinsultisallowed. I'm off to work guys.

as long as the bible didnt call it a sin or ungodly to eat meat on good friday, it is wrong for anybody or group or body to make it a standard doctrine.
calling what is holy, unholy is the doctrine of men....check matt.23 for better understanding on how it affect pple in general.
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by Alexk2(m): 6:12pm On Apr 03, 2015
Ifebazz post=32299230] If you start looking for everything you practice as a Christian in the bible, you go old pass Metusella. We might firstly look for where in the bible iPad was used to preach, or rabbis fry their hair or where it says you should close your eyes to pray. Any practice that is not contrary to the will of God should be encouraged. Practices that helps to endear people to God be encouraged. Keep looking for the intestine of ant, you will miss the mark.

as long as the bible didnt call it a sin or ungodly to eat meat on good friday, it is wrong for anybody or group or body to make it a standard doctrine.
calling what is holy, unholy is the doctrine of men....check matt.23 for better understanding on how it affect pple in general...

abt ipad for preaching, those who use it are interested in the bible content of it...other points are easily explained without controversy.
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by Alexk2(m): 6:15pm On Apr 03, 2015
ebukaOtika post=32295633] You can see Yourself ,,.? Its not in the Bible "so your pastor said" Now let me ask you ,,. Everything you do , do you have them in the Bible eh,,.,,? If its not working for you ,,,, leave it for those its working for ,.,,, Afterall no life is lost here ,.,,, Back in the Years , the Anglicans dont celebrate Palm Sunday as the Catholics do ,,,, But this year took another Dimension when i saw them Celebrating Palm Sunday ... To me At all means that they are Gradually OPENING THEIR EYES to Reality and not Mediocrity. #quotetoinsultisallowed. I'm off to work guys.

as long as the bible didnt call it a sin or ungodly to eat meat on good friday, it is wrong for anybody or group of pple(church) to make it a standard doctrine.
calling what is holy, unholy is the doctrine of men....check matt.23 for better understanding on how it affect pple in general.
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by netmillionaires(m): 8:05pm On Apr 03, 2015
Christians and their silly doctrines. No wonder Jesus ask us to watchout for people who preach the traditions of men as doctrines of God. When Jesus broke the bread at the last supper what did He say? He said, 'This is my body' and gave it out for them to eat. In other words He seems to be saying take my body and eat it. Now some people were saying we should not eat meat because it is like eating Jesus body. What a contrast.
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by obaty(f): 8:13pm On Apr 03, 2015
STPEACE:
My annoyance is that i have asked most of them(catholics and baptics members) around me the reason why they dnt eat meat on Good friday. None of them gave me a good reason for that, they are just doing that to fulfil or rightiousness. They are just following church doctrine.
Baptists don't practice that doctrine
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by Jennifer89(f): 9:44pm On Apr 03, 2015
Nneka123:
Everyone got their beliefs and values. We "Catholics" believe that eating meat on a good friday, is like eating the flesh of christ, and inflicting more pain to him, so it's neither of that!!

So if i eat meat today i am inflicting more pain on Christ? ah i never hear this one before o! hahahahaha
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by Nobody: 9:46pm On Apr 03, 2015
Jennifer89:

So if i eat meat today i am inflicting more pain on Christ? ah i never hear this one before o! hahahahaha
Are you Catholic? if not, please fly away.

1 Like

Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by ebukaOtika(m): 10:04pm On Apr 03, 2015
sukkot:
bros wetin you chop remain ?

Ahn ahn ,,,, no be wetin you just chop finish now now ,,,,?
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by ebukaOtika(m): 10:07pm On Apr 03, 2015
Alexk2:

as long as the bible didnt call it a sin or ungodly to eat meat on good friday, it is wrong for anybody or group of pple(church) to make it a standard doctrine.

My Guy ,,,, its not Mandatory atall o ,,,,
No one cares how it affects you or your cohorts ,.,,,

That was why i said it wasnt by force ,,,,

If you believe it ,,. Live with it

And if you dont believe in it ,.,,, stay out of it and dont distract people that believe in it ,.,,,

IS THAT TOO HARD FOR YOU TO ABIDE WITH,,.,,.?
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by Independa: 11:38pm On Apr 03, 2015
It is clearly not superstition. Good Friday is a day of fasting and abstinence. The Church puts it as a discipline, mortification or fasting to the Lord to help many, if not every member of the Church to mortify the flesh and so be conscious of, and draw closer to God. Its a way of carrying everyone along in the spiritual journey, as some people, in such a vast congregation may not even fast at all, unless in difficulty. At least with this, they may say "well, this one is simply, and everyone is doing it. God I am here o, I follow". With that and other programs, he is gradually lead to appreciate the more the Divine, interest built, he is lead to commit himself newly, or more.
Different Churches declare fasting, and prayers, indoors and crusades and even quier programs, no one will talk, but if its Catholic and main stream Churches, people will start talking and even abusing. Its about time our people learn that nagging and being repulsive at people over what you do not understand is already itself a sin.
There will be surprises on the last day. Many noise makers and 'condemers' will be missing. Sure

1 Like

Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by Ifebazz(m): 5:56am On Apr 04, 2015
Alexk2:

calling what is holy, unholy is the doctrine of men....check matt.23 for better understanding on how it affect pple in general...

abt ipad for preaching, those who use it are interested in the bible content of it...other points are easily explained without controversy.
You guys so love to interpret the bible verses to suit your arguments. It was only iPad you saw in my examples, you conveniently didn't see Pastors frying their hair. Might not see Pastors buying private jet too nor politics in church nor idolatry of money nor other ills in today's world, it is an act conceived purely with the aim of making people revere God that you guys will see to criticise.
These are the reasons why Jesus wept.

1 Like

Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by Ifebazz(m): 6:07am On Apr 04, 2015
netmillionaires:

There is nothing wrong in using the bible to preach. Where in the bible is the Bible as a book been used to preach? This is just an advance in technology. In the days of Christ, the word of God is in a Scroll. Imagine U want to read Genesis. U will keep unwinding till ur hand ache. The bible as U have it today was developed to make reading the bible more easier. Likewise it was put into an Electronic device for mobility reason. The arguement about using Ipad is because of some people who might be surfing the net instead of reading the Bible. Is the gospel been preached through TV during the time of Christ! No! That it is been preached through TV this days is not anti-Christ. When Jesus talked about the Gospel been preached all over the world He already saw advent of technology.
Eating of meat on this day and that is just a tradition of man. It doesn't bring man any closer to God.
So what does, fancy clothes and frying of hair and mini skirts and private jets and fighting over right to own a church and coaxing people to donate their life saving and divorce in the church etc right? Because those are the new traditions of churches being meted out to their members.
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by netmillionaires(m): 7:31am On Apr 04, 2015
Ifebazz:

So what does, fancy clothes and frying of hair and mini skirts and private jets and fighting over right to own a church and coaxing people to donate their life saving and divorce in the church etc right? Because those are the new traditions of churches being meted out to their members.
u will never understand no matter how it is explained to u. I hate to argue with people like U. U tell them the truth and they will start attacking U instead of attacking the subject of the discussion.
No church preach those things as doctrine. It is just man following their desire while church refuses to caution them because of the fear of losing their members. Even the bible talked about decency.
Using Ipad to preach it not a sin believe it if U want to. I can't force U to.
Back to your talk about eating of meat. During the last Supper, Jesus directive when he broke the bread was THIS IS MY BODY, TAKE AND EAT. It is like saying take my body and eat it. Very simbolic! This is to make it clear to you that there is nowhere in the Bible that states that man must not eat Jesus body but to eat it. It is simbolic. Now people are saying meat should not be eaten because it is like eating Jesus body. That is very wrong.
U should say,' I don't eat meat as a way of abtinence from what I love most' it is like saying I am fasting which is OK. But people who doesn't do it should not be seen as sinning. The Bible say'Let him that eat,eat and let him that eat not eat not'. It is sin in itself to judge he that eat or he that eat not... My hand ache
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by Ifebazz(m): 6:20pm On Apr 04, 2015
netmillionaires:

u will never understand no matter how it is explained to u. I hate to argue with people like U. U tell them the truth and they will start attacking U instead of attacking the subject of the discussion.
No church preach those things as doctrine. It is just man following their desire while church refuses to caution them because of the fear of losing their members. Even the bible talked about decency.
Using Ipad to preach it not a sin believe it if U want to. I can't force U to.
Back to your talk about eating of meat. During the last Supper, Jesus directive when he broke the bread was THIS IS MY BODY, TAKE AND EAT. It is like saying take my body and eat it. Very simbolic! This is to make it clear to you that there is nowhere in the Bible that states that man must not eat Jesus body but to eat it. It is simbolic. Now people are saying meat should not be eaten because it is like eating Jesus body. That is very wrong.
U should say,' I don't eat meat as a way of abtinence from what I love most' it is like saying I am fasting which is OK. But people who doesn't do it should not be seen as sinning. The Bible say'Let him that eat,eat and let him that eat not eat not'. It is sin in itself to judge he that eat or he that eat not... My hand ache
Matter of fact, you're the one attacking me, and I don't think the Mother Church have condemned members and non members alike for not adhering, she only encourages her members as part of fasting observations.
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by ebukaOtika(m): 11:35am On Apr 05, 2015
Make Una just dey hear dey look for wetin dey inside Book and wetin no dey Inside Bible ,.,,,

The Latest Development now is that ,,,,

That Man you were talking about HAS RISEN FROM THE DEAD,,,,

I'm going to *Galilee to See him ,,,,

Dont even bother checking if my going to Galilee is in the Bible or not ,.,,, IT IS NOT THERE so commot for road make i Pass.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Atheism Is A Religion / Televangelist Wants Followers To Pay For $54 Million Private Jet, It's His 4th / Femi Aribisala: How I Stopped The Rain At My Niece's Wedding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.