Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,554 members, 7,812,778 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:11 PM

Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . - Foreign Affairs (611) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . (3019299 Views)

“If Mugabe Dies, We Will Field His Corpse As A Candidate For Election” - Wife / Photos: What Some Countries Gives Their Soldiers To Eat On The Battle Field. / Video Of Frightened Black Man Forced Into A Coffin By White Man Sparks Outrage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (608) (609) (610) (611) (612) (613) (614) ... (2201) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by iblawi(m): 9:43pm On Jul 20, 2018
allexpensive:

There is no need for his presence here. We have units capable of replicating what he did. When eeben was in Nigeria, 72Msf was given priority by the government. Air backup was on ready alert, he had the weapons he wanted, he had ISR always (he knows everything around him 24/7). 72MSF is good but the Belarus / Russian trained guys are better. The Pakistani trained guys are now embedded with 72msf to increase their capability. They developed a new doctrine that works in the north east.

The problem here is we cannot provide ISR for every unit like we did for Eeben, now that the foreign hand is out of it, the guys do not get the desired fire power they want as there's no fund for it. AFSF, AHSG, and the SBS guys are the most deadly unit out there. Their ops lead to much casualty On BHT side but they're always at disadvantage when operating with regular troops. The guys prefer working alone as the regular troops give them a hard time. You don't want to be in a fire fight and at the same time telling someone what to do. Once you have a man down, the game changes.

I have only been in a couple of ambush and not in a direct offensive against BHT. What we need in Nigeria now is real equipments. @nemesis made mention of COMJAM which would have helped. Once the enemy communications is blanked out, their coordination will be out. We need proper IFV not even tanks. We need to deploy more mortars.

80% of the fight against Boko Haram has men going against AA guns, BHT ARTILLERY with just riffles and gun trucks with limited range. At times, multiple rocket fire will disable our vehicle since they're coming in large numbers and we'll spread out. Proper hardware and gadjets are important. Some BMPs are in SS, e need them here.

Eeben will change nothing here.

Did this guy make any sense abi you have problem with comprehension?
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by SternProphet: 9:50pm On Jul 20, 2018
Jelal0007:
bidexiii please visit eeben barlow's blog and do a thorough read up on it. as for you dumb 1diot (SternProphet ) who claims to have a high iq but keeps speaking trash, learn to disagree without resorting to insults. how much equipment did eeben barlow, his team and the 72msf have (besides mraps,aa guns and limited air support)when they dealt deadly blows to BH b4 they left in 2015? something is amiss here.

You need to stop thinking effeminately. Every problem is approached from a position of mastery. Cool down, find out what happened, analyse, solve. To reach for PMC just because Boko Harem had a lucky week without even finding out what happened?.

What info do you even have that it was a doctrine or TTTPS problem. What of the big picture. One of the locations hit or was it units ambushed, the men were less than a week in that sector, so maybe just setting up after a rotation.

The Nigerian Army is also having multiple deployments on going. In fact, there are probably more than 100 points of mobilization as we speak on internal and external security.

WHY did air support not come?. Well we know multiple platforms are undergoing PDM and repair at the same time and there are probably air operations in Zamfara, Benue, Plateau and Nasarawa as we speak.

So many factors at squad, batallion, divisional level. Probably inter service planning breakdown issues.

To just blurt out STTEP was very amateurish.

@Nemessis8u; free expression is very good and there should be no fear of being insulted.. but how would you feel if a fellow Indian suggested that you seek help of Pakistani Army to solve a terrorist problem along your border with Afghanistan ...FOR A SECOND TIME !!!!!
Would that be a suggestion or an insult?

4 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Jelal0007(m): 9:57pm On Jul 20, 2018
iblawi:

Show me where I insulted you and I will show you how many people you've insulted here.

I hate it when people think like fish.

You said NA should invite Eeben because he achieved a lot. Many reply that AFSF achieved more and they are still active in the North east and no need for Eeben. Mor0n like you kept on repeating the same thing and at the end of the day.

u see,being the complex 1d10t that you are,u just proved my point once more. u have issues with comprehension. if telling someone that he's talking rubbish,doesn't come as insult then ,u need ur head properly checked.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by doziex: 10:03pm On Jul 20, 2018
Oga Henry, too bad you cannot rewrite history. To answer your questions
(1) Eeben was just a subcontractor to a major contract that was initially meant to train commandos to find and free the chibok girls.

The contract later morphed into territory recovery prior to the election that was postponed for 3 months.

Sttep provided an airwing based on one mi-24 hind and a hand full of ex British bell and alhouettes choppers.
We bought about 40 mraps but with no communication gear, which led a South African to be mistakenly lit up by one of our t-72s. Whether it was a company or a battalion that Eeben trained, they led the way in all offensives . They engaged the enemy from the air , and behind enemy lines.
Again google vice news for the full story, they gave the Nigerian soldiers their prospers when it came to that battle field, when many western news agencies wanted to say it was the Chadians or the mercs. So we should also be honorable and not deny their effect on the battle field.

And also guys anyone spewing insults, rather than just debating the issue at hand is frankly dishonoring the memory of the young men that gave their last measure this week.

Besides Nigeria, Eeben has proven himself in Angola, Uganda, and Sierra Leone.

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by iblawi(m): 10:08pm On Jul 20, 2018
Jelal0007:
u see,being the complex 1d10t that you are,u just proved my point once more. y have issues with comprehension. if telling someone that he's talking rubbish,doesn't come as insult hen u need ur head properly checked.

If I said you say rubbish, I've only disregarded what you said as not been senseble in the current context and I've not insult you as a person but when I call you a mor0n, then I just did. You calling me an 1d1ot again shows your level of stupid1ty.

Comprehension is your problem.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 10:40pm On Jul 20, 2018
bidexiii:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvxVlOyrGpE

Did anybody watch these video; see how the airforce roasted some bunch of BHT..... grin

There on there way to meet there 72 Virgins.

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by doziex: 10:43pm On Jul 20, 2018
Stenprophet is not even addressing any of my points. He just dislikes Eeben, so there goes any possible merit my pov contains.
U say bhts just had a lucky week? Please remind me when NA last had there own lucky weeks.

You talk about intractable problems spreading country wide. That is my point exactly this is too important to be left to our armed forces to do their best with what they have.

Just as in public private partnership approach to reviving air Nigeria, or running other institutions, hiring a good PMC with a proven track record is good business.

Actually, the safest state in the nation today anambra state has a PMC to thank for the structure governor obiano set up with all the security agencies in collaboration with a well organized civilian vigilante group. With the groups organized around the authority of the village chiefs.

An Israeli security expert is the adviser behind the anambra operation kpochapu.

The governor, an investment banker knowing the importance of security to the economy and everything else, wisely consulted a professional who designed the best way for the governor to use what he had.

Kaduna states seems to copy almost all obiano' moves, with the exception of security. And now security issues is threatening all he has built in kaduna.
Many other states have left the security of their people to Abuja. Inspite of the security votes they have to do something creative or hire a professional adviser as is done the world over.

A combination of PMC designed solutions and community policing, is the answer to the herdsmen, cattle rustlers, kidnappers and nigerias hydra headed security challenges
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Xbee007(m): 10:54pm On Jul 20, 2018
bidexiii:

Did anybody watch these video; see how the airforce roasted some bunch of BHT..... grin

There on there way to meet there 72 Virgins.
They fled the moment they heard the noise of the Alpha Jet. It is there in the report. I just hope the jet managed to really neutralize some of them.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by BlackBaron: 11:36pm On Jul 20, 2018
... I think our doctrine is still to blame. PMC are more or less short term. What happens after they clear or push out bh elements and leave?

Whatever they be teaching at Jaji is clearly outdated or not adapting to the current threats we face. Do we have training on patrols and ambush prevention? How about our engineers actually get to work on Base defence. Defensive Barriers are non existent and from the multiple videos we see, our boys are digging trenches with shovels and sleeping in it.
These things might cause quite a few bobs but least we can probably wrap up sooner and focus on important issues than constantly kobo-pinching and depleting funds on war consumables over a longer period of time.

I have seen far better knowledge from people like Beegeagle, Peccavi, etc than the rigid ideas from the army chiefs who seem to be outdated and offer nothing new.
https://peccaviconsulting./2013/12/06/maiduguri-airport-a-focus-on-force-protection/

https://beegeagle./2012/06/22/ct-coin-operations-defensive-positions-and-watchtowerscontributed-by-a-beegeagles-blogger-peccavi-an-isaf-veteran/
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 11:42pm On Jul 20, 2018
Xbee007:

They fled the moment they heard the noise of the Alpha Jet. It is there in the report. I just hope the jet managed to really neutralize some of them.

Did you watch the video
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by allexpensive: 12:13am On Jul 21, 2018
Jelal0007:
bidexiii please visit eeben barlow's blog and do a thorough read up on it. as for you dumb 1diot (SternProphet ) who claims to have a high iq but keeps speaking trash, learn to disagree without resorting to insults. how much equipment did eeben barlow, his team and the 72msf have (besides mraps,aa guns and limited air support)when they dealt deadly blows to BH b4 they left in 2015? something is amiss here.

Boko Haram are more heavily armed right now. They field military hardware from Chad and Niger.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 12:32am On Jul 21, 2018
allexpensive:

Boko Haram are more heavily armed right now. They field military hardware from Chad and Niger.
why not invade that village called chad undecided
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by QuietMynd: 12:39am On Jul 21, 2018
bidexiii:

Still displaying your act of ignorance and delusion.

Ethiopia is far ahead of Nigerian in most sectors if not all, a secondary school student will boldly tell you that. The facts are there !

I doubt your claims, it does not reflect in your facts. Now you are withdrawing back what you said; "
[b]Bidexiii I have books to recommend for you.

The video you watched clearly feeds your perception."

Now I can see its pointless going into an argument with you embarassed

This is one hell of a big statement
shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by QuietMynd: 12:57am On Jul 21, 2018
newafricaken254:
if Nigeria outlook on its growth is to compared itself with other sub sahara africa countries,then it will never accomplish anything.just as said of south Africa. Nigeria economy has a potential of being a trillion + dollar easily,if the necessary policies are adhered to by Nigeria.if a smart kid is enrolled in a class full of dumb kids,he will never realise his/her potential but if you enroll him/her in a class with other smart kids.you will be astonished
Bro,some of ur post do touches me.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by allexpensive: 12:58am On Jul 21, 2018
Eeben was not the most effective unit on ground during his presence.

72 paratroopers bn, 7 Infantry Division had proven to be more effective and hence always had 72MSF back. These two were the ones into direct confrontation with BHT While 72MSF comes in.
During the take over of baga, 72MSF was never in a direct fight against BHT alone. You can't attribute the success to them. There was a blue fire from I think 7 infantry/103bn on 72MSF ( this shows how close 72 MSF was always operating around the circle of other units and Bn deployed there).

Where do you put the deadly 103 bn in the fight against terrorism? 72Msf was just like every other unit out there but benefited from publicity and this is what you should understand as it is publicity for the PMC . There was nothing special there.

The decision makers know there's no need for a PMC as its replicating already available capability. We sent bht parking out then because new hardware were procured and we intensified aerial combat due to election.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by allexpensive: 1:04am On Jul 21, 2018
krattoss:
Diplomacy. We have a nice and gentle government. Tell the Chadians you have an intelligence report on BHT in their territory and the next moment, BHT changes location.

You need to strike without their approval. Our current capability will need ISR to fly in and F-7 being deployed due to speed to return back Into the Nigerian airspace but can the ISR make it before time runs out?
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by doziex: 2:42am On Jul 21, 2018
All expensive, you are a soldier on the battlefield, so your experience carries more weight than all our opinions combined. So, saying 72msf mattered alongside other front line units is one thing. Saying they didn't matter at all is another.

I have listened closely to Eebens accounts of those battles, he was never trying to usurp the glory of other Nigerian fighting units. Now the western media really wanted to give anybody but Nigerians the credit for those victories in gworza , bama, Michika, konduga and the rest of the short lived caliphate.

They said the Chadians did it, then they said it was the white mercy.

But it is important that Nigerian fighting men know that while the white media was trying to usurp their glory earned in blood, Eeben was never interested in that.
Dude has plenty war stories of his own.

I knew a day would come when some Nigerians may resent his fame, thinking it was gotten at their expense. Well that wasn't the case here.
You cannot blame the man for the western press penchance to show Nigerians as incompetent.
Especially if we as Nigerians or our leadership keeps writing the script of incompetence.

Anywho, I hope you consider our need for PMC services on it's own merit, and not colored by some anti western agenda.

In 2011 when the insurgency was still new, I opined that this war was a race against time between a then novice NA and a then novice BHTS.
Which side will learn its best practices the quickest.?
Will our troops become like the Americans quicker than bhts becomes like ISIS ?

So it's the albarnawi group versus our AFSF.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by allexpensive: 3:44am On Jul 21, 2018
72msf mattered alongside other front line units is one thing. Saying they didn't matter at all is another.

72MSF In my own opinion was an advantage to us for the fact that we had more SF unit trained to combat BHT. The equipments at their disposal was what made the difference. Anywhere 72MSF operates, then you have the PMC contractors with them. They did not come here to die so they had technological advatange in the northeast. Their Intel was top notch with two choppers always at their disposal. The choppers do not belong to NAF so they performed ISR on their own too.

What I have been trying to explain is that 72MSF was not unique because of tactics, training or manpower but because of equipments at their disposal. So instead of bringing in any PMC again, the government should procure similar gadjets for strategic units in direct confrontation with Boko Haram.

Why has the government not done this?
1)Our defense budget is small
2) Boko Haram alone isn't what the military is into
3) operational areas in the north east is very wide. Equipping all strategic units with this will cost alot.
4) There are other things the military need to procure.

@doziex

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by ugo4u: 5:03am On Jul 21, 2018
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by ugo4u: 5:03am On Jul 21, 2018
krattoss:
You say Chad is a village? For your info its the 5th largest of country in Africa(Land mass). Just like alexpensive said you will be violating their territory if you don't seek for permission. If you decide to go in covertly then be prepared for the unexpected and what I mean by that is, a possibility of them shooting you down with their air defenses supplied by France, or spark an international outrage which might make the Chadians uncooperative in future operations. Nigeria is not Israel that have the requisite equipments and have mastered the art of covert operations.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Xbee007(m): 7:05am On Jul 21, 2018
bidexiii:

Did you watch the video
More than five times.
If you have seen an Alpha Jet in action before, you would have known that you can hear its noise at least four to five seconds before you see it.

If it were a drone that hit them, it would have had over 90% kill rate.

bidexiii:
PRESS RELEASE
NIGERIAN AIR FORCE FIGHTER AIRCRAFT NEUTRALIZES BOKO HARAM TERRORISTS AT BULAGALAYE, KWAKWA

1. The Air Task Force (ATF) of Operation LAFIYA DOLE, on 15 July 2018, successfully neutralized several Boko Haram Terrorists (BHTs) at BULAGALAYE and KWAKWA, both in BORNO State. The successful air strikes on both locations were a result of efforts to trail and neutralize fleeing terrorists after Nigerian Army (NA) troops had repelled the attack on their location around BAMA. Upon receiving reports of the attack, the ATF scrambled an Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) platform and the Alpha Jet aircraft to locate the fleeing terrorists. Consequently, the insurgents, who were seen assembled at a staging area in BULAGALAYE, began to disperse upon sighting the attack platforms. However, the NAF fighter aircraft acquired and attacked the fleeing insurgents with bombs and rockets. As a result of the air strikes, the BHTs were neutralized while their vehicles and weapons were destroyed, leading to a thick cloud of black smoke.

2. Intelligence reports later revealed that a smaller bunch of the BHTs had re-assembled in a settlement known as KWAKWA. Accordingly, the ATF conducted a wave of strikes on the location. Overhead KWAKWA, the ISR platform successfully identified the terrorists’ location and vectored the attack platforms to the target area, which was attacked with bombs and rockets. Some of the terrorists were seen fleeing towards a nearby settlement and further attacked with rockets and then neutralized. The Air Task Force will continue to conduct missions in support of the efforts of our troops in the counterinsurgency operations in the Northeast while also providing Close Air Support when requested to do so.

OLATOKUNBO ADESANYA
Air Vice Marshal
Director of Public
Relations & Information
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Jelal0007(m): 7:26am On Jul 21, 2018
SternProphet:

You need to stop thinking effeminately. Every problem is approached from a position of mastery. Cool down, find out what happened, analyse, solve. To reach for PMC just because Boko Harem had a lucky week without even finding out what happened?.

What info do you even have that it was a doctrine or TTTPS problem. What of the big picture. One of the locations hit or was it units ambushed, the men were less than a week in that sector, so maybe just setting up after a rotation.

The Nigerian Army is also having multiple deployments on going. In fact, there are probably more than 100 points of mobilization as we speak on internal and external security.

WHY did air support not come?. Well we know multiple platforms are undergoing PDM and repair at the same time and there are probably air operations in Zamfara, Benue, Plateau and Nasarawa as we speak.

So many factors at squad, batallion, divisional level. Probably inter service planning breakdown issues.

To just blurt out STTEP was very amateurish.

@Nemessis8u; free expression is very good and there should be no fear of being insulted.. but how would you feel if a fellow Indian suggested that you seek help of Pakistani Army to solve a terrorist problem along your border with Afghanistan ...FOR A SECOND TIME !!!!!
Would that be a suggestion or an insult?
listen up dunce,I'm not even particlar about the attack that occurred recently. but being a m0r0n that you are, u fail to see that this war is dragging on for too long. I'm of th opinion that people with a history of success in counter insurgency, counter guerrilla fights like eeben barlow be brought back to help and train more units like the 72msf. if u can't see the point in that,then I can't help you. keep talking trash while claiming to be a professional.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 7:40am On Jul 21, 2018
34,000 Cameroonian refugees in 6 LGAs Cross River - SEMA Read more:

https://www.naija.ng/1181654-34000-cameroonian-refugees-6-lgas-cross-river-sema.html#1181654
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by allexpensive: 9:15am On Jul 21, 2018
Xbee007:

More than five times.
If you have seen an Alpha Jet in action before, you would have known that you can hear its noise at least four to five seconds before you see it.

If it were a drone that hit them, it would have had over 90% kill rate.

The area would be straffed with canons and rockets.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 9:39am On Jul 21, 2018
allexpensive:

The area would be straffed with canons and rockets.

I don't know why the Airforce did not use drone to maximise the kill percentage angry
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 9:43am On Jul 21, 2018
#AFSF

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by lionel4power(m): 9:44am On Jul 21, 2018
bidexiii:

I don't know why the Airforce did not use drone to maximise the kill percentage angry
Our drones do not carry rocket pods.

Rockets increases the firing cone radius, which translates to larger kill diameter.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 10:14am On Jul 21, 2018
lionel4power:

Our drones do not carry rocket pods.

Rockets increases the firing cone radius, which translates to larger kill diameter.

The insurgents where in a group; the drone has been there undetected. A single missile shot would send all of them to hell before they know what hit them.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by lionel4power(m): 12:00pm On Jul 21, 2018
bidexiii:

The insurgents where in a group; the drone has been there undetected. A single missile shot would send all of them to hell before they know what hit them.

it is true but there are a wide range of factors that affects the use of UAV's for action.

-Availability of drones (remember we have only 4-units of UCAV)
-You have to balance the cost of the AR-1 missile versus the targets importance.
-The CH-3 UAV is less lethal as compared to an Alpha Jet.
-Precision guided Munitions are less lethal than rockets for such target (group of insurgents)
- CH-3s dont have rocket and gunpods for straffing
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 1:14pm On Jul 21, 2018
General Officer Commanding 2nd Mechanised Division, Ibadan, Brigadier-General Sani Abacha tries his hand on a pistol, 1984.
#History grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 1:20pm On Jul 21, 2018
Soldiers with the North Dakota National Guard team up with the Ghana Armed Forces during #UnitedAccord2018 in Accra, Ghana.

U.S. Department of Defense (DoD)U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM) #MeetYourArmy #KnowYourMil

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 1:33pm On Jul 21, 2018
lionel4power:

it is true but there are a wide range of factors that affects the use of UAV's for action.

-Availability of drones (remember we have only 4-units of UCAV)
-You have to balance the cost of the AR-1 missile versus the targets importance.
-The CH-3 UAV is less lethal as compared to an Alpha Jet.
-Precision guided Munitions are less lethal than rockets for such target (group of insurgents)
- CH-3s dont have rocket and gunpods for straffing

UAV UCAV utility in my opinion is overblown thanks to western media.

I have witnessed sudden temp fluctuations leading to moderate cross winds forcing UAVs to kiss the ground.

UAVs cannot take off if wind conditions r unfavorable etc etc

only high capability high flying UAVs r able to deliver the required performance most of the times and importantly not all the time.

Even minimal optimal Aerodynamic stability in all weather conditions is a big ask for most of the UAVs

Also in real world maintening LOS links with the UAV is like a poker game of sorts . Atmospheric fluctuations more than often plays spoilsport.

UAVs must be utilised but in a complementary role, main emphasis should be on platforms which we can control more effectively and r immune to external uncontrollable factors.

Let us not fall prey to perceptions , real world is a unforgiving place for man and machines

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (608) (609) (610) (611) (612) (613) (614) ... (2201) (Reply)

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.